The Dream Traveler

By The3dreamers

Being engaged to a fiery world that's lost in the darkness of her memory can be dangerous. In Acklemar, Wren... More

PITCH and BOOK TRAILER VIDEO
Chapter One-New Discoveries
Chapter One (part 2)-Tied in Knots
Chapter Two-She Drives Me Crazy
Chapter Two (Part 2)-Shackled NOT Bound
Chapter Three-Full Flame
Chapter Three -Lady's Sphere
Chapter Four-Traitor
Chapter Five - Remember
Chapter Six-Pandora's box?
Chapter Six (part two)-A Prophecy
Chapter Seven - What Have You Done?
Seven (part two)-I'm Not the Only One.
Chapter Eight - Let's Play Darts
Chapter Eight (Part 2)-I'm a freak
Chapter Nine-What have I done?
Chapter Ten-Spellbound
Chapter Ten-Busted (part two)
Chapter Eleven-- One Hundred Percent
Chapter Eleven (Part Two)--Caught
Chapter Eleven (Part Three) --Taking our Welts
Chapter Twelve--Not the only one with secrets
Chapter Twelve--(part two) Birdie
Chapter Thirteen--So Romantic (part one)
Chapter Thirteen- Changing the Rules (Part 2)
Chapter Thirteen - Keep and Key (Part Three)
Chapter Fourteen--Welcome to the Keep.
Chapter Fifteen--Under My Skin
Fifteen (Part Two)--When You Need Me Most
Chapter Fifteen (Part Three)--Throwing the Torch
Chapter Sixteen--Ready to Fight
Chapter Sixteen (Part Two)--Not alone.
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Seventeen (Part two)--267th moon
Chapter Seventeen (Part three)-Wanna Bet?
Chapter Eighteen--That changes everything
Chapter Eighteen (Part 2)--Can't touch this.
The Dream Charmer (THIRD BOOK)

Chapter Fourteen (Part Two)--Only One Option

2.5K 284 99
By The3dreamers

Hey! This one was kind of fun to describe. Hope you like this next piece! So much fun to write. :)

Moonlight filtered between the tall stems of wavering flowers and wild grasses. When I stepped onto the garden path, the soft ground squished beneath my feet.

Proud slabs of sandstone shaded in shadows briefly lit in the flickering glow of torch light from the back entrance. It was as though the castles' unblinking darkened windows peered down at us through the unsuspecting scent of lavender that lulled us forward.

"Wait here," Robin whispered.

Rygar crossed his arms, tilted his head as if he was studying Robin, then gave him a curt nod.

Well hidden in the tall grass at the edge of the garden, we watched him navigate the lush flower beds and well-manicured shrubs. I lifted my gaze to the creeping ivy covering immense castle in front of us. Gilded statues glimmered in the dim light. The sweeping staircase from the second-floor balcony led to a large lawn. It looked like it was set-up for a game of some sort with the large circular stones that were laid out.

This was supposed to be my home—my life. I gave my head a shake. I'm not sure how that possibility ever came to happen.

"Wren..." Robin said softly drawing me from my thoughts.

How long had I been staring at the building? I never even realized he was back. I couldn't help wonder where the guards might be. There wasn't a single one in sight.

He shoved a wool wrap at me. "Put this on."

Robin passed a dirt covered army-green smock to Nebula. She unlatched her cloak, folded it into a neat pile, then held out a hand asking for mine. After our clothes were stashed in the grass, she looked to see how I was making out. When she saw the wrap draped over my shoulders, she giggled.

"Here." She adjusted the fabric, so it hung over my head. "This is how the ladies of the Fire Circle wear it. It also covers your hair so that no one will recognize you."

"I'd like it better if no one had that opportunity," I said.

Robin finished buttoning his jumper. "Me too. I'd like to especially avoid Otis."

"Second that," Rygar said over my shoulder.

"Why aren't there any guards?"

"On the grounds, the guards, man the entry points to the Keep. That's the station at the edge of the forest and the Keep's main gate." He gestured to their locations. "But we landed right between those points, so unless there's a shift change, we won't come across any. But that's a little different once we're inside, though."

Robin bent down, grabbed a handful of dirt from the flower bed and wiped it on the front of Rygar's jumper.

Rygar threw his hands in the air and backed up. "Seriously?"

Robin cast a sideways glance and shrugged. "Look, I could have grabbed some of the manure they had in the shed."

Rygar narrowed his eyes.

Robin picked up another handful of dirt attempting hand it to Rygar, but he just stood there with his hands in his pockets not willing to take it.

"We need to look the part. Trust me. No one comes out here to work and leaves clean," Robin said, still holding out his hand.

Nebula reached around Rygar and scooped the soil from Robin's fingers. She jerked her head in Rygar's direction. "Trust issues with this one."

Rygar grabbed his dirt from the bed, washed his hands with it, then thumbed a mark on his cheek.

"All right Houdini, where's the door?" I asked.

Robin turned and started walking down the path. "Who said anything about a door?"

The three of us looked at each other for a moment, I was sure they were wondering the same thing I was.

"What do you mean there's no door?" I asked.

The muddy path changed to gravel and the tiny rocks stuck to the bottom of my shoes as I walked.

"You'll see."

As we walked, I breathed in the light floral scents letting them calm me. I paused for a moment to knock some the pebbles from the bottom of my shoe when I spied the stems of Creststar flowers blooming next to me. My fingers brushed the delicate white petals, and my thoughts drifted to Kellan.

So, Kellan said loud enough that it felt like his words bounced off the inside of my skull. I jerked my hand away from the flower, knocking its petals to the ground.

Your disappearing act has people talking—and not in a good way. The grand council is pissed you're not here, and they're demanding an explanation—one I can't obviously give them.

I could tell he was pacing the floor. Please, say you're not at the Fire Circle, he said stressing the word not.

I cringed and kept my eyes on the path. I knew whatever I said wouldn't make him happy. Okay, I won't tell you that.

Kellan's presence washed over me accessing my senses. Wren—

Kellan. I didn't dare look up, fearing he'd see the Keep.

You're wearing a Fire Circle wrap? He sounded angry and hurt all at the same time.

Maybe? I folded my arms over the wine colored fabric. Would you believe I was cold?

My heart raced, and an icy chill made me shutter.

No. I wouldn't. You can stop staring at your feet. I know where you are. You have no idea what you're doing, and the worst part is it's going to get someone killed or start a war.

Dramatic much? Start a war. I shook my head. Come on, that's a little hard to believe.

What do I have to do to convince you, this isn't Earth. The rules here are different. His speech was rushed and deliberate. If I were in front of him right now, he'd probably be shaking me by the shoulders.

He took a deep breath. If the Water circle council saw you wearing that wrap, they'd consider it treason.

I rubbed my arms and started walking to catch up to Robin. You've got to be kidding. It's just a stupid coat.

No, it's not, he said sounding more frustrated by the second. It's like the Queen of England wearing a dress made out of a flag from another country.

I almost laughed out loud at how funny that would be. I'm not the Queen of anything—I'm just me. So chill.

That might be the case on Earth, but here? That's what being my partner means. Like it or not. He let out a heavy sigh.

Now, will you leave the Keep before Otis finds you?

I couldn't believe he didn't understand why I needed to do this. I'm not leaving my mother here to die.

I felt a tightness in my chest that didn't belong to me.

Wren—I'm not asking. He paused and took a breath. God, if not for me, then for your own safety.

What did he mean he wasn't asking? My charms started to flicker, and my hands itched.

I'm not leaving her, I said forcing my words.

I closed my eyes and pictured the link between us closing. Kellan dug in, resisting my attempt to cut our connection. I clenched my fists and gave him a hard mental shove.

Wren... his panicked voice echoed in my thoughts.

A polar cold zinged through the knotted ring when I forced the link shut. I flinched and placed a hand on my chest. A hollow aching filled my depth. I nearly bumped into Rygar, when the three of them stopped in front of me.

"Wren? What's wrong?" he asked.

I lifted my head. "Hmm? Nothing." I forced a smile. "All good."

Rygar's brow wrinkled like he wasn't convinced.

We were in front of a statue of a young couple surrendering to each other's embrace. Flames etched the man's torso and circled the woman's arm. The inscription at the foot of the piece read, The Faithful.

Nice. Like I needed the reminder of the two rings wrapping my body or about the argument I had just had with Kellan.

"Help me with this?" Robin said quietly.

He placed his hand on the knee of the statue and started to push in a circular direction. Rygar joined in and the base of the statue slid away to reveal a hidden entrance way.

"How did you possibly know that was here?" I asked.

"One afternoon after Jaxon and I were sparring, I flopped out over there in the flowers." He waved at a bed of tiny white flowers only a few feet away, then started down the stairs. "I was pulling a few of the roots and eating them."

I turned and gave him a strange look.

"What? They taste like carrots." He pulled a latch under the statue and tugged it shut, leaving us in the dark.

"Wren, a little light?" Rygar asked his voice echoing off the brick walls.

I reached for the flames inside me and gave them a slight tug. I held out my hand and flames licked my fingertips.

"Anyway, I could sense the plant's roots ending in long straight line, which was odd given the statue had a circular base. So I came back one night to investigate."

"What is that smell?" Rygar asked.

I cringed and held the wrap over my nose. The stench of something rotting filled the space.

Jaxon's warmth blazed through me. Sweetness! You called?

I looked at my fingers and debated if we'd be able to make it the length of the hallway without any light. The last thing I wanted was to get into another argument about rescuing my mom.

Hi. I shuffled forward trying to make my way to the front of the group without burning anyone in the narrow space we were standing in.

Jax let out a groan when he looked at the scene around me. Is Nebula with you? I knew she could get back to Acklemar faster than anyone else.

Well, that's isn't a secret she'd share with just anyone. Would she?

His warmth ran through me, staving off the cold. The beams overhead dripped with moisture, and the old stones wavered beneath our feet.

Where the hell are you? Jax asked as I approached the end of the hallway.

Robin peered over my shoulder. "Go left, then right."

"You're sure?" Nebula eyes were watering. "The smell is worse that way."

"I didn't say it'd be all roses getting in, only that I'd be able to get us in. That's the way." He pointed in the direction of the noxious fumes.

Within two paces of walking down the next corridor, I knew what the smell was. Corpses of rotting skeletons filled open hollows in the crumbling walls.

You're in the Keep's catacombs? Jaxon said sounding panicked. Are you insane or just suicidal?

Well, if your crazy ass father didn't decide to execute my mom in the morning, I definitely wouldn't be here hanging with skinny. I glanced over at the rotting corpse with half a face and pulled the wrap tighter over my nose.

He what? he said like he was entirely surprised by the news.

Your family is seriously twisted. You know that, right?

I've been told, try living with them. As if we shared the same body, I could feel Jax wash his hands down his face. So, I'm assuming there's nothing I can say to convince you to turn around.

At least he knew me that well. Nope.

I guess that only leaves me one option.

Oh? I answered, half expecting him to have the guards blaze in and stop us. What's that?

I'll have to help you.

Thanks for all your support! Over 100,000 reads on the Dream Weaver and another 27,000 on the Dream Traveler? I love all your comments, votes and library adds. You're the best readers ever! THANK-YOU.

Who's your favorite character in the books? Has it changed since The Dream Weaver? Can't wait to find out. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

789 74 30
The world around us can be diverse in so many ways, but sometimes the most diverse way is a way we may never have known possible. And that is a secre...
289 65 28
Being able to create alternate universes in your sleep might seem like the ultimate super power, but when a malevolent force from the dream realm tra...
483K 19.2K 50
When Amber was just an infant an alien space ship crash landed in her small lake town of Mountain Lake, Georgia. The aliens were isolated, a large se...
1K 57 45
was once called The Four Children Of The Elements . Book one of the elemental series . Book One - The Journey Begins Book Two - New Hope -s...