A Bird Set Free

By AmandaLove306

A 15 year old boy named Jacob is a sophomore in high school, who claims to have the worst life. His mother ha... More

A Bird Set Free
chapter 1

chapter 2

22 2 0
By AmandaLove306

heyy guys I just want to let you know that in the first chapter when they talk about Donny, his name isn't Donovan, but it won't let me fix it.. So I just want to let you know/ like & rate please. I would really apprieciate it! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Jacob/Jakes POV~

As I walked in the kitchen with hopeful feeling in the pit of my stomach, I saw my mom behind the stove, and smoke overwhelming the entire room.

“Mom, can I go eat dinner with raven tonight?” I smiled my most innocent smile.

“No, not today Jacob. I’m already making you dinner.” She said.

I gave her a bewildering look.

“But mom, she said she’s making pork chops tonight, my fav-!”

“I don’t care what she said!” she interrupted, “Can you just listen to what I said? You’re not going!”

I was about to open my mouth to say something else, but when I looked back up at my moms face, I could tell that her emotions were about to boil over like a pot of tea. So I kept my mouth shut, and marched down the hallway to the basement.

As I walked in to the gloomy and somber filled room, I spotted my bed placed specifically in the corner, and hopped on it still raging with anger.

I wiggled my body a little to get comfortable, and furiously glared up at my ceiling.

I guess my house was pretty average sized, not too big, and not too small. It had 1 master bedroom which is where my mom slept, 2 bathrooms, and the basement. Which is where I normally slept. Unless it was during the winter, which is when it usually gets a bit frosty. Then, I would usually migrate over to the living room to sleep on my black leathered couch near the fire place, which is where I could feel warm, and satisfied throughout the entire night.

Just then the phone rang. 

As I leaned over to pick up the ringing phone , I looked at my digital clock on my bedstand and saw that the time was already 6:43pm, and about 20 minutes had gone by since I was with Raven.

"Hello?"

"Hey Jake, you still comin'?" I realized it was Raven on the other line.

"Well, I don't know if I'll be able to tonight, my mom is already making dinner.... I'm sorry, wish I could..."

"It's fine, I'll just give your plate to Lynda, our new dog!"

"wow, you got a new dog? What kind is it?"

"Yeah, we were going to surprise you when you got here, but since you're not coming, I guess it'd make sense to tell you now. And it's a baby black Lab"

I laughed, "Yeah I guess so. Maybe I can meet her tomorrow since it'll be a weekend. Is that alright?"

"Yes! I can already tell she's going to love you, you remember that teddy bear that you gave me when we were 5 on Valentines Day?"

"Yeah, I remember"

"Well she just fell asleep on it and she looks so adorable, I'll take a picture so you can see tomorrow!"

"Wow, sounds pretty awesome! And alright." I started laughing, trying to imagine the dog on the bear I got for her.

"Jacob who are you talking to in there?" I heard my moms faint voice through the other side of my door, and it made me jump. 

"Mom, I'm talking to Raven!" I exclaimed.

"Well you need to get off the phone now. Dinner's ready." 

"Alright mom, I'll be right up" I told her, to make her go away. When I heard the footsteps go back into the kitchen I knew I was safe to speak again without her eavesdropping by my door.

"Hey Raven, I have to go, can I talk to you tomorrow?"

"Uhm, yeah... but uh, Jake?... C-Can I ask you a question?" she replied hesitantly.

"Yeah of course, you can ask me anything." my voice sounded calm on the outside, but on the inside my heart was pacing rapidly at an uncontrollable pace as I waited patiently for her to speak again.

"Well... I mean...do you ever... or... I mean... would you?...."

I still waited.

My brain felt like it was about to burst with all the thoughts running back and forth through my entire mind.

It felt like days had past until she spoke... once again. 

there was a long moment of silence. "Jake! my mom's calling me, tell you tomorrow! Bye!"

"Oh, okay... B-." I said a bit confused. But she hung up before I could finish saying another word.

I was now flustered with emotions.

After that, I walked stiffly up the cemented staircase and opened the basement door. When I walked into the kitchen I could smell the fresh green-beans and corn, mixed with chicken fried steak and gravy, which was all sitting on the stove as if calling my name. 'Jake come eat me, Jake come eat me'

When I walked closer to the stove, I opened the pot of green beans and smoke came tumbling out as if escaping for air. When I finished serving myself I sat down at the table, and noticed that my mom was no-where in sight.

"Mom?" I asked uncertainly.

"I'm up here, doodle" I heard her say. I was shocked when I heard that name, because she hasn't called me that since my father was alive. As I walked down the hallway in which the 2 bathrooms and my moms room was, I noticed that the attic light was on and the wooden stairs were pulled down to the carpet.

I peaked my head through before stepping all the way in, and saw my mom in a corner looking through a box full of what it looked like was photo albums and pictures. I saw that she was smiling.

"What are you doing mom?"

I saw her jump when she heard my voice. 

"Oh, uhm... nothing. Just looking at some old photos. You can come look too... if you want."

"Okay" I walked over calmly to wear my mom was, and sat down next to her. When I looked over at the picture she was holding, I knew who it was right away.

The man in the picture was very handsome with a slight 5 o'clock shadow, and blue-green eyes with a smile that was as bright as a thousand suns. He was wearing a plain white t-shirt to where you could see his muscles practically ripping out of the sleeves of the shirt, and faded blue jeans. 

When I looked again, I noticed that there was a 3 year old boy behind him, clinging to the bottom of his jeans, and I knew immediately that it was me.

"You know, you look a lot like him Jacob. You have his hair, eyes, and everything the same."

I looked at her with a confused face expression, and looked back at the picture.

"But... my dad was handsome, tan and muscular. I'm all skinny and have a baby face."

"That's because you haven't grown into your figure yet, you still have time to grow and develop, don't worry. Girls may not see it as much now, but when you get older, they'll regret not talking to you. As a matter of fact, that's exactly how your dad was."

There was moments of silence as we continued to look through stacks of photos and photo-albums. Then my mom stopped at a picture of her and my dad. They looked so happy. 

My mom had black, wavy hair that stopped at her waist with a pink flower on one side of her hair, and was wearing a bright red dress that was sleeveless on one of the shoulders, and on the other shoulder was a big pink rose, the same as the one in her hair, and matching pink heels. My mom was beautiful. My dad was wearing a black suit with a red tie with pink hearts on it.

"This was on Valentines Day, and he took me on our first date." my mom said. "That was the night I fell in love with him and everything seemed so perfect."

"How old were you? You guys looked so young and happy." I could already feel the lump in my throat starting to form. I swallowed to control it.

"We were both still on our 3rd year of college, and yes. I was very happy." I saw a single tear drip down the side of her face, and hit the crease of her sad-smile.

There was another long silence before I finally asked, "Mom... how did you and Dad meet?"

When I looked up from the picture to see her face, I saw that she started smiling. Then her sky blue eyes met mine and she said, "Me and your dad were friends for the longest time and we were neighbors for almost 8 years. He came up to me about a year after I had moved in, and told me his name was Johnathan, but that he would prefer me to call him Johnny or John since that's what everyone else calls him. I didn't like those names though, so I decided to come up with my own and original nickname for him. I told him that I would call him "Jo", and he accepted the fact that I was too stubborn to change my mind about it. People saw us as "Jo-Angela" since we were always together, and we both didn't mind because we secretly had crushes on eachother but just didn't say anything... until..." 

she looked up at me when she realized that I was zoning out. 

"Do you actually want to hear this?... I mean... I don't want to tell you if you're bored" 

"yes mom, just tell me" I said, getting kind of impatient.

"Well..." she rolled her eyes, and told me anyways. 

"When we got to our 3rd year of college, he finally asked me out on a date, and that's the picture I showed you... There.. you can go out now Jacob."

I guess she could tell that I looked bored, it's not that I don't care about the story, it's just that I wanted to eat my food.

"Alright, I'm going to go eat now mom, thanks for the story!" and I rushed down the wooden stairs almost tripping over the last step.

When I got to the kitchen, I went to sit down where I remember setting my plate.

"of course" I thought

"my food is cold..."

so I ate it disgustedly thinking that "it's better than nothing"

When I finished I placed my dish in the sink and rinsed my cup and silverware. Then went to my bathroom and hopped in a relaxing shower. I loved the feeling when the water burned my back, and after about 20 minutes I turned it to cold, rinsed, and turned off the water.

I grabbed a light blue towel from the counter and wrapped it around my waist. When I walked into my room and grabbed some underwear, and pajamas, I then hopped in my bed, turned off the lamp.

I lay there starring at my ceiling for a while. 

When I closed my eyes, my thoughts kept rolling back to what Raven had said to me over the phone earlier today. 

'what did she have to ask me?' I thought. I looked over at my clock and saw now that it was 10:30pm. 'I hope everythings alright'

The single window was the only light showing in the room, I noticed that it was mildly dirty. 

I had an extremely hard time falling asleep and it was now midnight.

I lay there for about another hour before I eventually fell into a deep sleep. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know there's not a lot going on right now, but I promise, if you please just give it a chance, It will get better! I promise! 

Love you guys, have a great dayy <3 :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...