Dark Summer (Book I, Witchlin...

By LizzyFord

A girl with a broken past and a dark secret. A boy with a twisted future and no second chances. When they me... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Seven

1.4K 99 4
By LizzyFord

The next morning, Summer ate a fast breakfast, tardy to start her day after getting home so late. She drank her juice as she hurried down the hallway to the dance studio. Jessie had already started, and Summer slid into the back of class. She was tired and went through the morning routine without paying much attention. As she turned to leave, Jessie stopped her.

"Don't rush off, Summer!"

Summer moved out of the way of the other girls. Dawn caught her gaze and smiled. Summer smiled back. When they'd left, she approached Jessie.

"Did you forget?" Jessie asked.

"Forget what?"

"Your dance lesson."

"Oh." Summer kicked herself mentally. "I'm kind of tired today, Jessie. Maybe we can—"

"Right on time, Decker," Jessie said, glancing towards the door.

Summer turned to face him, at once caught in his dark gaze. From the distance, she felt his magick. It energized her even without touching him.

"Sorry to interrupt. What was that, Summer?" Jessie asked.

"Nothing," Summer murmured.

"Waltz to warm up and we'll move onto something else," Jessie told them.

Summer moved to the middle of the floor. Decker joined her. He reached for her then rubbed the back of his head nervously. Her own body was warm and tingly before she lifted her hand out. He placed his against it then stepped forward with more confidence and placed his other hand on the small of her back.

Her senses came alive again. She recalled what Sam had said, that she needed to find what made her magick sing. It was Decker.

"Have you ever ... met Sam?" she asked, gazing up at him as they danced.

"Yes. Only a few of us have spoken to him. You met him?"

"Yesterday."

"You must be of certain interest to his kind. They don't talk to just anyone."

She said nothing. Instead, she listened to her body, the way Sam said she should. It responded to Decker, whose lead turned from hesitant to firm. Her lightheadedness returned, and she hoped he couldn't tell just how hard her heart was beating.

"You look tired," he said. "Did your deer keep you up?"

"No," she said. "I went to the mall yesterday and got left behind."

"Amber left you?"

"Just an accident. I'm too quiet. I guess I'm easy to forget."

"I don't think so."

Her face grew hot, and she looked away.

"Today, a merengue and salsa!" Jessie said. "I feel like something more fast-paced. This way, when you're listening to that modern crap, you can go between the slow and the quick. Summer, stand on my right. Decker, on my left. We'll work on the salsa steps first."

Summer stepped away from Decker. Jessie pulled her to the side as Latin music blared into the studio. Summer stumbled through the fast-paced steps that seemed only to tangle her feet. She couldn't keep up with the music, even when she mastered the steps. Frustrated, she sneaked a glance at Decker. He was worse off, his large feet tripping him as he tried to dance. They struggled through it for half an hour, with Jessie barking commands at them.

"On your toes, Decker. I know you played football," Jessie said impatiently. "You both are so much more coordinated at this when ..."

Summer gave up with a sigh. Jessie was gazing at her intently.

"Try it together," the instructor said.

Summer looked at Decker, who held out his hand. She took it.

"Okay, one, two, three," Decker said quietly.

They stepped together. Again and again, easily keeping pace with the music and each other. Her body flowed with the rhythm.

Jessie turned off the music. "I don't think you guys need lessons. Just go to the dance together."

Summer kept quiet, uncertain if Decker knew who her date was.

"I don't go to the dances," Decker said. "So you might as well keep teaching us."

"You sassin' me?" Jessie asked with a grin.

"No, Jessie. Summer's transition hasn't been easy. You might as well help her adjust."

Summer stared at him, surprised he'd talk that way to an instructor.

**

Decker didn't know what got into him, but he was angry at Jessie. Summer's body was relaxed in his arms, fitting against his in a way that seemed too natural. Her breasts were pressed against his chest. He'd thought the first day of dancing was torture, but today, the sensations were worse. Her magick didn't just call to him, it compelled him to her, like a paperclip to a magnet. It made his whole body ache in a way he'd never experienced.

He wanted her. Bad, and in more ways than he could identify. The rise and fall of her chest, the way she looked up at him. The desire he felt with Alexa was purely physical. This was something else, something primal.

"Alright, we'll keep dancing," Jessie said. She put on music then stood back to watch.

"Thank you, I think," Summer said, looking up at Decker.

"Sorry. I want to do this right for you," he said.

The connection between them grew stronger. He took in her brown eyes and long eyelashes, the pink flush across her face, the way she yielded to him when he held her. He'd hoped Alexa and keeping his distance would quell their connection, but it only grew stronger. They didn't even need to talk; magick moved between their bodies, as if they were one, not two individuals.

It was impossible to deny there was more between them than he could figure out. He'd debated not coming, but disappointing Summer had seemed worse than the torture of dancing with her.

"I have a favorite constellation," he said. "Scorpio."

"Beautiful constellation, tragic story," she murmured. "You know in mythology, Scorpio killed Orion, right?"

"Uh, no, I didn't." His face grew red. Was this a sign he should walk away from her for good? "Why are you so interested in stars?"

"I guess I'm not really. I had nothing to do at the orphanage, especially between schools. I used to read a lot. One of the other kids left textbooks out, so I read through the astronomy one and started trying to find the stars," she replied. "I read a lot of Shakespeare and other literature."

"I've read some Shakespeare. It's a little over my head," he admitted.

"I think there's beauty in his work. And tragedy. Always tragedy." Her voice grew soft, sad.

"Sorta like life."

"Yeah. Though being here, I've learned there's hope, too."

Jessie's phone rang.

Decker clamped his mouth shut. He wanted to say hope was for naïve fools, but he couldn't. Summer's eyes glowed with a light that hadn't been there when she arrived, and her soul no longer sang its lonesome song. She'd found hope in the place where he lost his.

"I meant to tell you yesterday, thank you for dancing with me," she said. "Even though you don't go to dances and even though you probably have something better to do."

"It's my pleasure, Summer. Really."

"Come back tomorrow morning," Jessie said. "I'll have more music. Decker, Matty wants to see you."

Decker rolled his eyes. Summer smiled, broke contact, and turned away. He watched her leave, agitation filling him. Her touch silenced the noise in his head and soothed him in a way nothing else could.

"Thanks, Jessie," he said and left the studio.

Matilda, the head instructor for the Dark arts, had an office in the small attachment to the garage, opposite Amber's. Decker went to her office and knocked, waiting for her to beckon him to open it before entering. Tall and svelte, Matilda wore her hair short and was almost always in a suit or business clothing. She wore a white blouse and pencil skirt today.

"Have a seat, Decker." Her voice held a slight rasp that took the edge off her severe façade.

He sat in front of her. She pushed her laptop away and leaned back, focusing on him.

"How you holding up?" she asked.

"Good enough."

"Your parents are concerned, and so are your teachers."

"Not sure what they expect. It's not like I'm getting a new job at the mall or something," he snapped.

"I understand that. I think your adjustment period will be brutal. I was here when your mother took her place. It nearly killed her to lose her sister and face the Dark alone. If not for your father, she wouldn't have made it."

"They won't even be here for my birthday, so there's no help for me," he said.

"The kids say you're dating Alexa. Any sort of connection there, like your parents have?"

"It's physical, nothing more."

Matilda shook her head. "Damn teens and hormones. At least you own up to it. Amber doesn't believe me when I tell her half the kids here are sexually active."

"More than half," Decker said, smiling.

"I'm not surprised. But on a serious note, Decker" —Matilda leaned forward— "you're in danger of going over the edge if you've got no one here to support you. Maybe your mother doesn't remember what she went through during the transition. It wasn't pretty."

"I'll be fine."

"I'm telling you, you won't."

"What do you want me to do about it?" Decker ran his fingers through his hair with a frustrated sigh. He suspected as much. Whatever happened to him on his eighteenth birthday, would turn him into a soul-stealing assassin.

"Are you and Beck getting along better?"

"Yeah."

"Maybe that'll do. I'd hoped Alexa was the Michael Turner to your Rania," Matilda said. "Are you sure she's not?"

"Why does it matter?" he demanded.

"There's only been one Master of Fire and Night who didn't have a partner when he assumed his powers. The Deathbringer, Bartholomew the Terrible. I don't know for sure if this is why he went insane, but it's a pattern I won't ignore."

He met her gaze, well aware of the horror stories of the Dark Master who'd not only gone insane, but spent his tenure annihilating Light witchlings, Dark witchlings and humans alike. He'd reigned longest of all the Masters, simply because none of the women he raped survived long enough to bear a child. One finally did and birthed twins who worked together to slay their mad father and reestablish the balance.

Decker stood and paced, staring out the window. Summer was walking toward one of the picnic tables smiling. The sight soothed him physically and mentally. For a moment, he forgot about Matilda's horrific words about his potential fate. His shoulders eased, and he breathed more deeply.

He had a partner. But he'd never expose her to what he'd become.

"The new girl?" Matilda's approach was silent. "Or is it just physical attraction?"

"It's neither," he said sharply. "Leave Summer out of this."

The instructor raised an eyebrow. She stepped away and held up a hand as he turned on her.

"As you wish," she said calmly.

Unable to explain his sudden fury, Decker watched her as she returned to her seat behind the desk and folded her hands over her knee. She waited, unafraid of the shadows that leaked from his body at his emotion. Finally, he rolled his shoulders and took a deep breath.

"Please," he added, aware it was too late.

"Of course."

"Whatever happens, I'll deal with it. Alone."

Matilda said nothing more. Decker glanced towards the benches again, then turned and strode out of her office and down the hall, towards the kitchen. Food and the forest were the best he could do to sooth the fire within him. The last he'd heard, Kenny's shadow demon had failed to kill the person who hurt his brother. His brother died yesterday evening.

Kenny didn't have the magick to exact his revenge, but Decker did. He'd unleash the fury within him upon the fool who killed a child. Maybe then, he'd feel some peace. He went to the kitchen for some food first.

**

Butterflies were in Summer's stomach when she returned to her room. She told herself they shouldn't be; she was going to the dance with Beck. Besides, Decker had a girlfriend. His magick had left her body by the time she returned to her room, where one of the girls waited for her outside her door.

"Your name is Summer, right?" The beautiful girl was around her age with large brown eyes and dark bronze skin.

"Yes."

"I'm Biji."

"I remember," Summer said.

"I heard, um, you have a deer. Can I see him?"

"Sure." Summer opened the door to her room. The small animal was curled up on the bed and raised its head.

"They said his name is Tarzan," Biji said and giggled.

"It is."

"He's beautiful." Biji leaned over to peer at the creature. Her waist-length braid fell over her shoulder onto the bed, and Tarzan nibbled on it.

"How long have you been here?" Summer asked, sitting down on the bed.

"About a year. I'm an air element. Amber said you were, too, and maybe I can teach you some things."

"That'd be awesome," Summer said, her interest in the small girl growing. "Is it hard to learn?"

"Not really. Well, once you unlock it, it's all about control. But unlocking your magick is the hardest part."

"Why?"

Biji shrugged. "Maybe because we suppress it for sixteen years and then have to figure out how to stop doing that."

"So what did you do to make your magick unlocked?"

"You'll know. You'll feel what makes it sing."

Decker. Summer didn't like the instinct that reminded her of how the tall, handsome loner made her feel.

"For me, it was bungee jumping!" Biji's face glowed. "I love it!"

"I don't think I want to try that."

"Do you want to come outside? I'll show you some of the things I can do."

Summer nodded. Biji patted Tarzan and led Summer out, down the stairs and to one of the picnic tables in the courtyard.

"Okay, sit down and watch," Biji said.

Summer sat on the table, puzzled as Biji scrambled over to the nearest pine tree and began to climb it. The small teen was nimble and coordinated, reaching the halfway point fifty feet up within a few minutes.

"Are you watching?" she called.

"Yes!" Summer replied, shielding her eyes against the sun.

Biji swan-dived out of the tree. Summer yelped, horrified. Just before Biji should've hit the ground, she stopped in midair. She was laughing. She dropped her feet to the ground and stood.

"What do you think?" she asked, beaming.

"My god!" Summer breathed. Her heart was in her ears and her pulse flying.

"We control the air," Biji said. She swirled her hand in the air. A pinecone from the ground rose and landed in her palm.

"I can float?"

"Someday, when you can use your magick." Biji tossed the pinecone. "You don't know what the trigger ... ooohh." Her last word came out as a half-sigh.

Summer followed her gaze. Decker emerged from the side door, sandwich in one hand and a soda in his other. His dark clothing did little to diminish his muscular form. If he saw them, he ignored them.

"All the girls are in love with him," Biji whispered.

"I thought they were in love with his brother," Summer said.

"Secretly, they want Decker. Even Dawn. I mean, the tall, brooding bad boy? Like from a romance novel. I wonder what he looks like with his shirt off."

Summer smiled at Biji's eager tone. "So your trigger wasn't a person?"

"He never gives any of us in the Light the time of day," Biji went on. "He's slept with a few of the Dark girls over the year I've been here. You know it's because they have some sort of secrets about sex."

Summer laughed out of amusement and embarrassment.

"Have you ever, you know...done it?" Biji asked.

Summer shook her head.

"Me neither. I guess I'll know someday."

Summer laughed harder at Biji's disappointed look. The small girl grinned then lifted more things in the air. Summer watched, marveling. Biji formed small clouds in her hands and sent them over to Summer. They rained on her feet, making her smile. When Biji was done with her tricks, she sat beside Summer on the table.

"I heard you were hanging out with Dawn. You don't really seem like the type to hang out with her," Biji said.

"I don't really," Summer said. "She doesn't seem that bad. Everyone says she is."

"Oh, she's that bad."

Summer shrugged.

"If she doesn't see you as a threat, she'll leave you alone. It might be good she's not messing with you."

"I'm nowhere near as pretty as she is, and I'm poor," Summer said. "There's nothing she can be jealous of."

"Whatever," Biji said, rolling her eyes. "It's good you don't hang out with her. Are you going to the dance?"

"Yes."

"Did someone ask you or are you just gonna hang out with me?"

"Someone asked me."

"Who?" Biji demanded. "I heard you're going out with Adam?"

"No, we're not going out," Summer said with a shake of her head. "Beck asked me."

"Beck? Really?"

"Yes. Why?"

"He's dating Dawn. At least, I thought he was." Biji looked puzzled. "But if he asked you, maybe they're over with."

"Maybe. I don't know," she said vaguely, mind on the note about Beck breaking up with Dawn. "Are you going with anyone?"

"No. No one asked. I thought about asking someone, though."

Decker emerged from one of the dorms, trailed by three other guys in black. Biji's gaze was glued to the Dark twin as they crossed to the house.

"Decker?" Summer prompted. She crossed her arms, not sure why she cared if Biji wanted to go with Decker.

"Yeah. But he never goes to dances anyway."

Summer was suddenly anxious to change the subject. "So you said that bungee jumping or whatever is what unlocked your power?"

"Yes! I jumped off a building," Biji replied.

"Are like, people ever the triggers to unlock magick?"

"Anything can be. But a person ... that seems like it'd be very weird. I mean, how would that work? You basically have to totally surrender to whatever it is and then, the magick unlocks."

"I'm not sure," Summer said. "It doesn't sound like someone can be the trigger."

"It's probably possible, but I don't know." Biji's gaze narrowed. "Why do you ask? You think Beck is your trigger?"

"Not Beck. I mean, no. I just wondered."

"Just wondered. Hmm."

"Really."

"Whatever. Did they show you the creek?"

"No."

Biji hopped off the table and started towards the road. Summer joined her, and they walked down the daisy-and-pine-tree lined road past the dorms and deeper into the forest. After ten minutes, they came to an old, wooden bridge leading over a creek a few feet wide. Biji stopped in the middle of the bridge and leaned over the side.

Summer did so as well. Clear water about three feet deep rushed over rocks below the bridge. She saw a few small fish and even more bright rocks in the shallows of the creek. The flow of water made a soothing sound, one that took her thoughts off of magick and Decker. Biji led her off the bridge and to a large, flat rock beside the creek. She sprawled on her back and stared at the sky.

"You ever make shapes out of clouds?" she asked.

Summer shook her head, liking the girl more and more.

"It's about all there is to do here," Biji complained. "Unless you like playing games. I don't."

"I don't know how to play many games," Summer replied. She lay down beside her. Trees and a few cottony clouds were all that marred the brilliant blue sky. "I can play poker and blackjack."

"You'll have to teach me."

Summer gazed at the clouds, content with the creek's soft gurgle and the sun's gentle warmth. The air swirled around them, and Biji swatted it away.

"Do you see anything?" Biji asked.

Summer concentrated. "An elephant? I don't know."

"I see it! He's playing basketball, right?"

Summer giggled.

"We have a lot of elephants in India. They're so big. When you see them on the telly, you can't tell how big they really are. They can crush a car with their foot."

"Do you miss India?"

"Yes and no. I miss my family, but when I go back, I have to get married. So, I'd rather stay here."

"You have to get married?" Summer asked.

"My family arranged a marriage for me. He's a nice guy. But I just want to roam around the world."

"Wow. That's crazy. Maybe he'll travel with you."

"Maybe. Ruins my chances with Decker, though."

"How does that work?" Summer asked. "I mean, he's evil. You can't be on the side of Light and date someone who's evil."

"Yeah you can. It's like dating anyone else. The Dark is like a career choice. You wouldn't not date someone because he was like, a dentist or something."

"I think good and evil are a bit more serious than dating a dentist!"

"But it's really not," Biji insisted. "A lot of Light and Dark date and get married. The Turner twins' parents did that."

"That doesn't make the person on the Light side go to hell or anything?"

Biji laughed. "No! If anything, it made Beck and Decker more powerful. I heard Beck is like, the most powerful earth element ever and Decker has three."

"He's the exact opposite of me," Summer said. "It's kinda neat."

"Who? Decker?"

"Yeah."

"You've got a crush on him, too, don't you?" Biji exclaimed.

"No—"

"It's okay. I was beginning to think you were weird. I mean, who wouldn't?"

Summer was quiet. She didn't know what she felt when she was with the intense Dark twin. She understood the simple attraction she felt towards Beck. It was easier to focus on the Light twin.

"The summer dance is in three days. Maybe you should go with him instead of Beck. That way Dawn doesn't get jealous or go psycho on you," Biji said.

"She's been nice to me so far."

"Everyone thinks that, until she tries to stab you in the back," Biji replied. "I've seen it happen to a lot of girls here, ones not nearly as pretty as you are."

"I'm not pretty. I just have a big chest," Summer said with an awkward laugh.

"To men, that's pretty. I'm totally jealous. Do you eat anything special to get those?"

"I don't think so. I think they're hereditary."

"Ah," Biji sighed. "Then I'm screwed."

They giggled. After an hour of cloud watching, they returned to the main house for lunch and to check on Tarzan. Biji led her to their sole afternoon class, a two-hour block on math and science that left Summer close to dozing. There were Dark girls in this class, and she concentrated on them rather than the dry lecture. They all wore black, some in heavy make-up while others wore none. They seemed as diverse as the Light girls.

Biji's comparison of the Dark path to a regular career path did little to make Summer understand how being Dark could be any less evil. The girls didn't turn into monsters in class, yet they'd done something to earn their way to the Dark. She wondered what, and if they regretted their choices or were as content as the Light girls.

What had Decker done? Was it why he was always alone?

She didn't want to think about him, but her body remembered too well how she felt in his arms. Her magick sang only for him.

The class dismissed, jarring her out of her thoughts. Summer rose from the desk and closed her notebook. She hadn't written down anything from the course. To date, no one had mentioned tests, and she hoped it was because there were none.

She retreated to her room to clean up after Tarzan then take him outside before the mandatory dinner in an hour. Summer closed the screen door on the front porch behind her. Tarzan wandered out onto the front lawn, his limp still apparent. She caught the flash of auburn against the green curtain of pine trees down the road and stepped off the porch.

Glancing around, she made sure no one was watching her then went towards Sam. Tarzan trailed, his mouth filled with green grass. Summer pushed fragrant pine branches aside to enter the forest. She didn't see Sam and ventured deeper.

"Sam?" she called.

I'm here.

She looked around then jumped to find him a few feet behind her, petting the fawn.

"You move so quietly," she said, not yet accustomed to the sight of the towering creature.

I am part of the forest.

"So do you just follow me around all day?"

No, human. Sam gave one of his chortled laughs. I appear when I want you to find me, like you did.

"Oh. Decker said you don't talk to many people."

Only those whom I must, when I must. Sam held out a leather necklace with a tiny, clear stone. This will protect you.

"From what?" she asked, taking it.

The danger around you.

Summer looked up at him. "What danger?"

There are people interested in harming you. This is so they can't hurt you.

"The Dark," she breathed. "It's not Decker, is it?"

No.

"Good." Summer sighed, unaware of how much she wanted it not to be until her chest loosened enough for her to breathe deeply again. "What do you do out here all day? Do you have any friends?"

There are many of us. We monitor the balance.

"Sam, is Decker...bad?"

You are troubled by such simple thoughts.

Summer flushed. She put on the necklace.

Humans are neither good nor bad. They are filled with choices they've yet to make and those they've already made.

"Okay, fine." She rolled her eyes. "Be as vague as everyone else."

You must decide for yourself about the Master of Fire and Night. Meanwhile, I'll worry about good and evil not destroying the world. His words were spoken with gentle humor and accompanied by a chortle. You would be quite a pair, one pure set of all the elements.

"Not if I go to hell for it," she said with determination. "Well, I'm going to dinner."

You are young to worry over your immortality. You have many choices to make yet. He stepped aside and motioned back the way she'd come.

"Thank you for the necklace," she said. She picked her way through a thatch of huckleberry bushes past him. "I'll be careful. I'm from the worst orphanage in L.A., so I doubt anything here is going to be half as bad."

He will protect you.

"Who?" she asked, turning.

But Sam was gone. Summer made her way towards the road and walked down it, trailed by the deer. She liked the strange half-man, half-beast that appeared at odd times, because seeing him made her feel almost normal.

By the time she put Tarzan back in her room, the rest of the teens at the school had gathered at the long table. Seating was unassigned, though she noticed there were cliques of people who sat together. Her gaze went to Beck, who was speaking to one of the other boys. Dawn and the three who had gone shopping with her sat at one end. Summer usually waited until everyone was seated before taking the last empty chair. This evening, Biji waved her over and patted the chair beside her.

Summer smiled at the small girl, who spoke to another girl with thick glasses named Ana. Summer circled the table to sit down, surprised to see Decker directly across from her. She looked at Biji, who grinned. Seating herself, Summer tried hard not to look at the Dark twin, but found herself drawn to him.

He met her gaze briefly before looking away. The initial exchange over, Summer relaxed and focused on her food. The first course—salad and soup—came and went, leaving her drooling over what the main course would be. The waiter began setting out the main course.

"Watching Summer eat is the best part of dinner."

Summer heard her name mentioned down the table and glanced up. Dawn was giggling and looking at her, the two girls on either side of her also stared at Summer. Summer's face grew warm. She looked at the half chicken and vegetables the waiter put before her. Instead of holding it with one hand and prying off the meat with a fork, she watched Biji from the corner of her eye.

Biji used fork and knife to slice pieces of meat off the chicken. Summer carefully tried to mimic her movements, sending the vegetables careening off the edges of her plate at the awkward movements. She stopped to eat the veggies then tackled the chicken again. She tried sawing off the top of a chicken leg to free the meat from the cartilage before resorting to brute force. Suddenly, the joint snapped off and sailed down the table.

Dawn and her friends burst into laughter. Biji appeared startled, and Summer stared. Frustrated, she was about to give up and grab the chicken with both hands. Someone's foot settled against hers under the table. She started to shift away when she recognized the magick flowing into her.

She looked at Decker, who was in discussion with the Dark girl beside him. He didn't move, and neither did Summer. Like when they danced, her body seemed to know what to do whenever he touched her. She tried her chicken again, pleased when her hands worked the knife and fork as expertly as Biji.

The rest of her dinner passed with no more embarrassment. Decker didn't even acknowledge her until he pushed his plate away to rise. His foot moved away, the flow of his magick ceasing. Summer glanced up, catching his eye.

"Thank you," she mouthed.

He lifted his chin in response, dark eyes lingering on her before he turned away finally. Summer watched him go, joined by the other Dark teens in the foyer.

"You totally have a crush on him," Biji said.

"I don't. But he's a nice guy," Summer said.

"Nice? Right."

Summer smiled to herself, touched by his thoughtfulness.

"Can I see Tarzan again?" Biji asked.

"Sure."

They left the dining room together and ascended to Summer's room. Tarzan was dozing and raised his head when they entered. Summer turned on the light. It was past dusk, and the light of bonfires in the backyard made shadows dance on the walls.

"Do you sleep next to him?" Biji asked.

"Yeah. He kicks me at night."

"He's so cute!"

Summer smiled as Biji sat down and patted the animal. She prepped the bottle Amber had brought her and handed it to Biji. The Indian girl giggled. As much milk ended up on her as in Tarzan's mouth, and the fawn licked up what he'd missed.

"You really do have a deer."

Summer glanced up at Dawn's voice, her smile fading. The blonde girl pushed the door to her room open, trailed by one of her friends. Biji scowled openly at Dawn, who ignored her.

"He's so sweet," Dawn cooed, kneeling beside the bed to peer at the deer. "Tarzan is an awful name, though."

"I like it," Biji said promptly.

"What do you feed him?" Dawn asked Summer.

"Milk. And he goes out to eat grass and berries during the day," Summer replied, troubled by the girl's presence after her comment at dinner.

"He's so little," Dawn's friend said. "You can't let him out alone, can you?"

"Not yet," Summer replied. "He's too young to be without his mother. Maybe in another month or two, he can go find a new herd to join."

Tarzan chewed on Dawn's hair, and Dawn tugged it free. Her friend giggled, and Biji muttered under her breath.

"Okay, I'm ready," Dawn said and straightened. "There's nothing to do in this godforsaken place. We're going out back."

"You could sleep with a few more boys," Biji responded.

Dawn gave her a dirty look. "Summer, you're always more than welcome to join us."

"Why, so you can make fun of her, like you do when she's not around?" Biji demanded, rising. "You'll just make jerky out of Tarzan. You need to go, Dawn."

Summer stared at the small girl, surprised.

"Whatever," Dawn replied. "She's only jealous because I never invited her shopping or anywhere like I did you, Summer."

"Good night!" Biji snapped.

Dawn rolled her eyes again and left.

"What a bitch," Biji said as soon as Dawn was gone.

Summer laughed. "You really don't like her!"

"Nope. She's no good for you and no good for Tarzan," Biji said. "I know these things. And I've heard how she talks about you behind your back. I wasn't going to say anything, but you're just too nice."

"I'm used to people saying things about me," Summer said. "It doesn't bother me, Biji."

"It bothers me."

Summer stroked the deer's head, marveling at how soft its fur was.

"Hello." The note of awe in Biji's voice replaced her anger.

"Hello."

Summer looked up at Decker's voice. Dawn had left her door open, and Decker stood in the doorway. He was tall and wide enough to fill the door frame.

"I came to see how Tarzan is doing," he said.

"You can come in," Biji said eagerly.

"Thanks." But he stayed where he was.

Summer was as mesmerized by him as Biji, not expecting to find his draw even stronger at night than it was in the day. His dark, soft eyes were like the night. He met her gaze at last. Summer crossed her arms as a shiver ran through her.

"Are you going to the dance?" Biji asked him.

"I don't dance," he replied with his normal brusqueness.

"I can teach you."

"No."

"So you really aren't going? It's the last dance before the school year starts."

"No."

Summer looked away to keep from smiling. Biji was determined.

"What if you could dance with Summer?" Biji pushed.

"Biji!" Summer exclaimed. Her stomach fluttered at the idea, but she didn't want him answering. If he said no, she'd be crushed, even though she had a date.

"Let him answer, Summer!"

Summer looked at him again, cringing internally.

"I might," he said finally.

Summer's breath caught at his direct look.

"So you can go to the dance and dance with Summer then me," Biji decided.

"Biji, you know—" Summer hissed.

"Just because you already have a date doesn't mean you can't dance with someone else," Biji returned.

"You already have a date?" The note of cooling in Decker's voice was plain. He crossed his arms.

"Sort of," Summer replied. "I'm sorry, Decker."

"I hope he can dance half as well as we might."

She flushed at the quiet words.

"Well, he should," Biji said. "He's your brother."

Decker stepped back from the door, his quick footfalls on the stairwell down to the first floor making her wince.

"Oh, Biji," Summer murmured.

"That was kind of weird, wasn't it?" Biji said. "We almost got him to go, and I almost got a dance in his dreamy arms!" She hugged herself and danced around the room.

Summer couldn't help feeling as if the rug was pulled out from under her. Her gaze went to the suitcase, where she'd placed the notes Beck had left for her the past couple of days. They'd thrilled her at first, but she felt no comfort from them now. Not when she knew Decker had wanted to dance with her.

He'd probably never show upto their morning lessons again. The thought of dancing without him made herfidget.     

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53 0 9
In award winning book, The Unknown, A 16 year old boy finds himself growing up by all lies, just so that he could be protected from being killed as a...
223K 7.4K 23
Canthopia, it's a world where every single person has a power. The people acquire these powers only after they turn 19 and after. But sometimes, in s...
18 0 16
A Young Woman: Twenty-two year-old Eva Mallory has never felt truly herself. But that's normal, right? Especially given that her only remaining fami...
317K 22.7K 44
*Previously Featured* Wren's first day at her new school is a twisted kind of day--in other words, anything but ordinary. With Kellan and Jaxon battl...