Evolution (Book 1 of POE chro...

By shadowcheah

*Over 1.4 million reads - published on Amazon* My name is Abigail Beckett, and this is 2415, the human race i... More

A quick word before you read...
Evolution
Chapter 1 My name is Abigail
Chapter 2 Legre
Chapter 3 Questions for Answers
Chapter 4 POE
Chapter 5 Goodbyes
Chapter 6 New Beginnings
Chapter 7 Tests
Chapter 8 Ancient Hisotry
Chapter 9 Fresh Meat
Chapter 11 You are Mental
Chapter 12 Games that we play
Chapter 13 Team building
Chapter 14 Out of Control
Chapter 15 What I am capable of
Chapter 16 Dodge
Chapter 17 Mind vs Fire
Chapter 18 Family
Chapter 19 Ready or Not
Chapter 20 Let the game begins
Chapter 21 I believe I can fly
Chapter 22 Error
Chapter 23 Past Present Future
Chapter 24 Wait what?
Chapter 25 Glitz and Glam
Chapter 26 Don't
Chapter 27 Pax
Chapter 28 It's complicated
Chapter 29 Ruin 18387
Chapter 30 Run
BOOK 2 - SELECTION
The secret origin of Tom Triole - Part 1
The Secret Origin of Tom Triole - Part 2
The Secret Origin of Tom Triole - Part 3
The Secret Origin of Tom Triole - Part 4
The Secret Origin of Tom Triole Part 5
Christmas + New Year Giveaway [open until 31st Dec, 2016]
EVOLUTION EBOOK IS PERMAFREE

Chapter 10 New friends

43.7K 1.3K 110
By shadowcheah

Hey guys, I know it's been long! If any of you had read my message, I am stil thinking about editing the entire story so that I can get a better plot in, but for now I am still happy to upload whatever i have written up. However I might, and probably will change the story around (not majorly) after I finish. That's all.

For those of you who have read my short story Forgetting Us, I am going to write a sequel. But I got another romance story starting off, I am not going to upload this one until I was more or less finish :)

As for how frequent I will upload in the future? I can't promise anything, really, really sorry about that. My exam is in a month and a half and I had been a complete lazy ass. I also have an essay to write and a 2 week field trip in may. But I promise I will try my best!

-----------------------------

I stopped in the middle of the corridor and looked around, then looked back at the map that I got from Mr Andrewson yesterday trying to match up the place. But nope. Nothing looked familiar. Groaning in frustration I turned the map around in different angle trying to see if I can find where I was.

The day started out pretty well. I got up and had breakfast with my new friends. Then it went downhill.

I had Biology first period but none of the others had the same class as me. By the time we finished almost everyone else was gone so I couldn't find anyone else that I could follow. Shoki offered to take me to the science wing but I didn't want to make him late so I politely declined and set out with my map.

I was pretty sure I was on the right track, but somehow I must lost my way around the school and my place on the map. Argh what's the effing point of being a telepath if I couldn't even manage to find my way around a school?

I was so focused on reading the map that I didn't even realised that I had reached the end of the corridor and smashed into the wall.

'Oof.' I said, bouncing back off the wall and rubbing my forehead. I needed to walk with less force, that was going to bruise. I scolded myself mentally for not watching where I was going and all of a sudden I heard someone chuckled.

My heart skipped a beat and I whipped my head around quickly and locked eyes with the source of noise. My brows shot up in surprised, why do I always run into him?

Tom Triole was standing in the corridor smirking at me. I felt like hitting my head against the wall again. Why did he keep catching me at the most embarrassing moment?

Still smirking Tom spoke. 'Watch where you are going.' he said, nodding his head towards the wall. My cheeks immediately f lammed up at his words. I wished a hole will just open up and swallow me. Maybe someone in POE Academy actually have the power to do that.

I shook myself to stopped my trains of thoughts getting to far. I pulled my books close to my chest and stormed past him.

'Wait.' Tom said when I was next to him. My body paused automatically at his voice. I half-turned towards him and waited for him to say something. To be honest I didn't know why I stopped to listen to him. I wasn't normally like that. What was wrong with me?

'Where are you going?' He asked, his french accent is so cute. Wait. Did I just think that Tom Triole is cute? What was wrong with me?

'B1, the science wing.' I replied before my brain registered the question. I listened to Tom's mind and got all the french gibberish again.

Tom sighed. 'Go back to the end of the corridor, down the flight of stairs, turn left and you will find it.'

I blinked in surprised. I thought he hated me, well, dislike me anyway. I nodded and mummer ed a word of thanks before speeding off with my face more flushed than ever.

Something was defiantly wrong with me.

Tom's direction turned out to be true and I arrived at the science wing five minutes late. Hopefully the teacher will let me off easy since it's my first time.

Successfully locating B1 I knocked on the door. Swallowing the nervous feeling bubbling inside me I pushed open the door and entered the classroom.

All eyes immediately turned to me, I squirmed a little from the attention and marched into the classroom.

'You must be Miss Beckett, glad you can join us.' the teacher at the front said, 'Take a seat.'

I apologised for being late, finally someone who looked like a teacher! He looked around my father's age with glasses and a kind face. I scanned the room for an empty seat. There were a dozen or so sitting in threes across the lab tables.

There was two free seats left at the back of the lab, and two completely free tables behind them. I immediately ruled out seating on my own. Everyone will pin me as a loner if I do that. So who should I sit next to?

My eyes traveled around the two table for a few seconds and I spotted Mr food-euthusiast on the left table with another guy so I decided to sit next to him.

Mr food-enthusiast gave me a weird look before turning his attention back to his friend. Curious as to what he thought of me I quickly tapped into his thoughts.

Oh, so that's the new girl everyone was talking about. She looked like Fred Bowen can freeze her in no time. It's good someone new had finally showed Fred that he isn't the boss around here. I wonder what's for lunch?

Completely thrown off by his last thoughts I nearly stumbled off my stall. This guy is so peculiar. Who jump from thinking about the new girl to lunch?

I smiled at him when he finally turned to face me. 'Hi, I am Abigail.' I said chirpily, he raised an eyebrow at me, surprised by my friendliness. He expected someone cooler, more rocker like after hearing about me. Which was funny, since he was in the dinning room when Fred approached me. Guess he was genuinely too absorbed in his food.

'Hi, I am Oscar.' He said, I reached out and shook his hand. The guy next to him move forward on the table with a flirty smile on his face.

'Hey there, I am Nate.' He said with a handsome smirk, I smiled back before catching the dirty end of his thoughts. God guys are so gross. Oscar realised what his friends was thinking along the lines of and elbowed him in the ribs.

'Ouch, what was that for?' Nate complained, exaggerating his pain and bending over the table.

'Don't hit on the new girl.' Oscar said, scowling at Nate who still had his flirty smile on.

'What is this Oscar? Do you have a crush?' Nate asked teasingly, I rolled my eyes at them. Boys. They never grow up.

'Settle down please class. Now we are all here, we can begin our lesson.' the teacher said, ' to those of you who don't know.' all eyes to me. 'I am Mr Graham and welcome to Biology 5.'

'What does Biology 5 means?' I whispered to Oscar, who gave me a weird look before replying.

'Year 7 means level 1 and so forth.' He whispered back before straightening himself in the seat and started to pay proper attention to Mr Graham.

I cast Oscar a weird look and caught Nate smiling at me. These two were odd. Correction. Oscar was odd, Nate was just flirty. I am usually pretty good with figuring people out, seeing as how I can read their minds and all. But Oscar didn't follow the normal pattern at all.

Feel intrigued I decided to focus my attention back on the class. Oh great we are studying DNA replication. We had done this already. I played with my nails for a while and glanced around. Everyone seemed pretty normal, I didn't get any bad vibes from anyone. It should be safe.

I opened my mind out and started to listen to the thoughts of my classmate, trying to find out more about them. The sad thing about the truth of mind reading is that unlike Charles Xavier, you can't just go around in people's head reading every single bit of his or hers memories and stuff. Human brain is a very complicated organ. I tried exploring through someone's mind once and nearly got lost in there. You might also do some irreversible damage to that person's brain function barging around.

Jumping from thoughts to thoughts I couldn't help but keep stealing sideway glances at Oscar. Something about this guy really fascinate me. This honestly had never happened to me before. I really, really needed to find a chance to talk to him.

OMG, the new girl keep staring at me. She must like me!

Crap. Nate was actually thinking that I was looking at him and now he had the wrong idea. My face flamed up as I caught on to his latest thoughts and immediately shut my mind, a little to forcefully too.

It was like a drift had suddenly appeared in the room and everyone was slightly shaken. I mentally slapped myself. Our minds were connected and the way I closed it caused their mind some discomfort. But nothing permanent.

Mr Graham turned around and cast me a suspicious look. I hastily straighten up in my chair and pretend to find Oscar's textbook particularly interesting.

'What was that? A few students muttered among themselves. Mr Graham cast me another look while I continue to feign innocent. Finally, he told the class to settle down and continued to teach. I silently breath a sigh of relieve and vow to be more careful in the future. This is an POE school after all. People won't just shrug things off.

For the rest of the lesson I behaved like the good student I was and paid proper attention to the class. When the bell finally rang Mr Graham declared that he will not be giving us homework seeing as we have a new student in class and everyone cheered.

Digging out my time table I saw that I will be having POE History y next. My face crumbled a bit, I was never any good at remembering dates. On the other hand I really can't wait to find out more about POE history.

'Hey new girl, do you need some help?' Nate asked, scooting closer to me as Oscar stood up and leave. My eyes trailed after him as I picked up his thoughts. He had POE history next too!

'I have POE History.' I said, loud enough for Oscar to hear me. Nate looked disappointed.

'I have Drama next.' He sighed, putting a hand over his chest pretending to be hurt. 'But Oscar have POE history as well. Hey Oscar, you should show Abby where it is.'

My face froze slightly when he called me Abby. I do hate it when people call me Abby, for no particular reason. However right now I was too preoccupied in watching Oscar's reaction to correct him.

'Sure. Let's go then, before we are late.' Oscar said, waving at me to follow him. Part of me was surprised and a little weary that he had agreed so easily, the other part were ecstatic.

'See you later then.' flashing a polite smile to Nate I hopped off my stool causally and walked towards Oscar. It's important to remain cool and collected so people wouldn't pin you as a wannabe.

I heard Nate sigh to himself as Oscar and I left the classroom. Despite his flirty behavior he was a good guy. I could tell.

'So where are you from?' I asked Oscar, whose face turned into a thoughtful one and immediately I started to tap into his thoughts. He was from Toronto Citybase and his power is super strength, one of the more common power. The other common power is speed.

'Toronto.' He replied, I could see memories of his home, his old school flash across his mind. Then he thought about his family, he had a baby sister who was three when he left called Olivia and he missed her a lot. Then I caught a glimpse of her girlfriend. Or rather ex-girlfriend. They broke up just a few days before he was discovered. He was wondering if things would have been different if he was still there. Maybe they would still be together.

I grimaced a little at that memory. How come guys that I have the slightest interest it always end up having a girlfriend or someone they like? This wasn't fair.

'How are you getting on here?' Oscar surprised me by asking, and I automatically gave him an affirmative answer that I was doing fine.

'Don't worry, we all started out like you. Things will calm down in a few weeks, or until another new kid comes.' Oscar said, giving me a smile. I was taken aback, it felt as if he saw right through me, and I was the one who can read minds.

'Thank you.' I said, meaning it and we smiled at each other.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Immune By Amy J.

Science Fiction

167K 12.2K 34
*THE UNEDITED VERSION* Beware of typos, errors, and general mistakes. This is a very, very rough draft. "I live in a place called Compound 4. We are...
1.4K 171 9
Cataclysm, there were no other words to describe it. A mysterious mutation sweeps across the globe, leaving society in a state of destruction and pan...
1M 39.5K 44
(This is the book 2 of POE chronicles - please check out book 1 Evolution first ) Evolution had created us. Allowed us to be different, given us a ch...
61.3K 589 8
It's been five years since the plague struck. Leah knows there are other survivors, but she's avoiding them. She is doing just fine on her own. Survi...