Heroes wear Capes

By YourAverageNerd_

su.per /ˈso͞opər/ (noun): 1. A person who shows exceptional ability or powers. 2. (Of a person who uses power... More

Chapter 1 - Everything is Awesome
Chapter 2 - Heroes suck Major
Chapter 3 - A Damsel tired of Distress
Chapter 4 - It's fun to be bad
Chapter 5 - Who wants superpowers?
Chapter 6 - Being powerless really sucks
Chapter 7 - A hard day's work
Chapter 8 - Outrunning your problems like
Chapter 9 - The birth of a vendetta
Chapter 10 - Villains aren't that bad
Chapter 11 - V for Vengeance
Chapter 12 - How to save a Damsel
Chapter 13 - Figures from the past
Chapter 14 - Super villains shape us all
Chapter 16 - Heroes don't have to get along
Chapter 17 - Everyone loves traffic jams
Chapter 18 - Meeting the King of Terror
Chapter 19 - Studying=Student Dying
Chapter 20 - The calm before the storm
Chapter 21 - Everyone loves a snow day
Chapter 22 - Superhero battle clichés
Chapter 23 - Open-ended endings are the best
Sequel is out!

Chapter 15 - People are Incredibly annoying

1.9K 176 142
By YourAverageNerd_

"You only have your thoughts and dreams ahead of you. You are someone. You mean something."

~ Bruce Wayne (Batman)

Celeste was not having the best day in school. The night before she had failed miserably in trying to capture the new superhero. She would've been able to do it to if it hadn't been for Silver Streak popping up.

Basically, what had happened was that Celeste took what should've been her night off of villainy to try and look for the new super in town. The quicker she found him, the quicker she could get Wild Fire out of her hair forever. If she knew his identity, he would never be able to stop her plans again without fear of his identity being revealed to the world.

So, she thought the best way to lure him out without bringing too much attention to herself was finding some way to get in trouble so he'd have to save her. She thought it wouldn't work after the third time having to defeat the goon herself when a huge group of drunk frat boys started heckling her. If that didn't attract a wannabe superhero, she didn't know what would.

When the boys cornered her in the alley, she finally got a glimpse of this so-called hero that killed Paul Rossi. He was in an old red jacket and jeans. He seemed to be wearing those awful shoes that that self-obsessed superheroine Sonic made and a mask that looked like a toddler made it in art class. He didn't look like much at all. If Trevor Rossi thought that this disheveled teen was the one who finally took down the leader of the legendary Rossi Corp, he must've been wrong.

But a job is a job. If this guy showed any sign of being faster than humanly possible, she was taking him.

When the kid showed no signs of fighting back when the boys heckled him too, Celeste thought she may have to save herself again. This was just another hopeful non-powered vigilante who was trying too hard, not a super.

And then it happened in the blink of an eye. A red blur passed through the ranks of frat boys until they were all left unconscious on the ground. Celeste smiled and her hands starting to create a frost around her. This was the guy that was going to get her what she had always wanted.

And then Silver Streak showed up on the roof opposite them. Celeste cursed. She may have been a super villain with immeasurable power, but she didn't want to try her chances against an experienced hero like Silver Streak and a super with speed. She would just have to try another day.

So, Celeste snuck away while the two were bantering. If Silver Streak now knew of the new super, soon the other heroes in the city would soon know too. Well, maybe not White Knight. White Knight was the one who fought the bigger threats and had all the big press conferences. He seemed a bit separated from the real problems in the city. She could see Silver Streak communicating more with Wild Fire than White Knight. Besides, if the rumors were true, she used to work with Wild Fire.

But because of the failed attempt, Celeste was in a sour mood. They were supposed to be doing a history paper, but everyone in the class was taking the time to gossip instead. Celeste didn't mind. It gave her updates on her main suspect for Wild Fire.

"I heard Clark was able to get back together with Delilah."

She almost scoffed at that. Of course Clark Rogers, suspect #1, found a way to keep his powerful girlfriend even after cheating on her with her best friend. It seemed like something an egotistical superhero would do. Stay with the principle's daughter so you never get in trouble.

"Yeah, he convinced her that Candace was lying about the whole incident."

"I wouldn't put it past Candace to lie about it. She's such an attention whore."

"Plus, there's no way Clark Rogers goes for a girl like her over Delilah Sivan."

"You're totally right, I'm so happy Delilah found out she was lying. Clark and her are definitely winning cutest couple by senior year."

Celeste let out an annoyed sigh. That was how high school went, wasn't it? She didn't have many classes with the best friend to the daughter of the principle, but from what she could tell, Candace was a nice girl, definitely not an attention whore. But, Clark was influential. He had the student body under his fingertips. One word from him was thought of as the whole truth, even if he was a bit dull in Celeste's view. It was exactly how the superheroes were able to win public affection even after doing less than desirable things.

Thus, the student body immediately believed Clark and went back to thinking he was a godsend even though just the day before everyone thought of him as a cheating scoundrel.

It made her extremely mad at the injustice. Maybe in retribution she would make sure to hurt Wild Fire a bit more severely next time she saw him.

"Hey."

Celeste kept pretending to work on the packet. There was no way this person was talking to her.

"Um, Celeste?"

She looked up, eyes wide in confusion. No one at this school ever talked to her. It was a part of the disguise. How could anyone ever connect you to a super villain if they didn't even know if your personalities were similar? Besides, this way she could listen in on conversations about Clark and her other suspects. If any incriminating information was ever said, she'd know. If people didn't know you, they tended not to notice when you eavesdropped on them.

Ross Gustin smiled down at her.

Celeste narrowed her eyes and frowned.

"What do you want?"

Ross seemed taken aback. Obviously he hadn't remembered how cold she had been during their first official meeting in the bathroom days earlier.

"I . . . um . . ."

Celeste sighed and put down her pencil, giving her full attention to the geek in the button up shirt. The shirt itself was ironed. She couldn't imagine having the kind of time in the morning to iron a shirt, let alone the motivation to do so.

"Speak."

Ross was taken aback again. Somehow the guy was still surprised by her behavior.

"I just wanted to come up and say hi."

Celeste scoffed, "Please, I'm not exactly the kind of girl you just walk up to and say hi to. This ain't no movie, Romeo."

He looked flustered. Celeste liked that she could make him like this. Power was something she craved, even in everyday situations like this.

"I was just trying to be nice."

"Yeah, well look where that got you."

Ross clenched his fist and Celeste cracked her first smile. She was getting him riled up.

"Are you always this rude, or are you just making a special effort with me?" Ross asked, still forcing a polite smile.

Celeste chuckled, "Usually I don't need to make such an effort. People usually run away by now."

Ross nodded, like this was the expected answer.

And then he pulled out a chair and sat down next to Celeste.

Her expression darkened immediately. She would rather be left alone, and her rude exterior was usually the thing that made sure of that. For some reason Ross decided sitting next to her was his best option.

If he valued his life, it definitely wasn't.

"What are you doing now?"

He shrugged, flipping to a new page in the history packet. "I'm just doing my work."

Celeste sat up straighter and narrowed her eyes at Ross. "Yeah, I can see that. I'm more just wondering what you're doing sitting next to me."

Ross grinned, still not looking up at her. "Can't a guy just sit where he wants?"

"No."

He sighed and brought his gaze to hers. "Well, maybe I thought you'd like a little help."

Celeste scoffed. "I don't need any help from you."

Ross laughed. He actually laughed!

(If he knew who she was, he wouldn't be laughing. Instead he would be cowering in fear of what she could do with one snowball.)

Celeste didn't like that Ross wasn't hiding in fear of her power.

"What's so funny? Are you just that eager to make fun of me?"

That shut him up. He seemed insulted that Celeste had insinuated that he was making fun of her.

"I'm not making fun of you. It's just that it's kind of obvious you need help in this class. Who better than assist you than the prospective valedictorian?"

That made Celeste laugh. "Oh, so you're just taking a pity case?"

"What?"

"You don't need to act it off," Celeste assured him, finally getting his game plan. "Just because I happen not to be as smart as you doesn't mean you have to feel sorry for me and feel obligated to help me out. I was doing just fine passing this class before you came over."

"Yeah, but wouldn't you feel better if you were doing something more than just barely passing?" Ross offered.

"How do you know about my score being that low?"

Ross shrugged, "I pay attention."

Yeah, too much attention. There was a reason Celeste generally avoided people like Ross like they were the plague.

"You know that makes you sound like a stalker, right?"

He sighed, frustrated. Celeste was getting back on top.

"Just because I notice that a cute girl in my class has bad grades?"

He realized what he said and paled. Celeste couldn't help but to grin. This guy was digging himself such a big hole and Celeste was going to love burying him in it.

"You think I'm cute?" She asked, prodding at him.

Ross was speechless. He hadn't meant to say those words, obviously, but it was too late now.

Celeste was having the best time of her life though. She was almost able to forget about the failed attempt to capture the guy Trevor Rossi wanted dead, the guy everyone was calling Momentum. This was the best time she'd had at school in a long while. Who would've thought it'd be because of a boy?

"I . . . um . . ."

Celeste chuckled, "Don't worry, dude. I won't spill your secret that you think the weird loner is pretty. I bet it would ruin your already low standing at this school."

He tilted his head. "Wait, I don't think you're weird."

"Please," she scoffed, "You may not be a part of the ruling minority at this school, but even I know I'm the opposite of their standards, and that makes me different. Different scares people."

"It shouldn't."

Celeste tilted her head at him this time. Ross Gustin was definitely not what she had ever expected him to be like. "Where's that optimism coming from, Gustin? You're life doesn't seem too perfect either."

Ross shrugged. "I find it's not hard to find the bright side of any situation, even at school. I mean, at least when I come here I get to catch some college credit and talk with amazingly nice people like you."

"Was that sarcasm?" Celeste asked impressed.

"What can I say? I'm a fast learner."

A flash went through her mind of Ross possibly being Momentum with that play on words, but it quickly fled. There was no way Ross could be a superhero with the way he dressed and acted. Besides, the guy she had encountered last night seemed to have significantly darker skin than Ross. Momentum was definitely not your run of the mill white guy like Ross was.

(Unless he purposely painted his skin darker to help hide his identity, of course.)

(But, still. Celeste doubted he would go through all of that trouble if all he could spare for his costume was a red hoodie and some jeans.)

"Which is why I would like to offer my assistance."

Celeste crossed her arms. Ross seemed to be nothing if not persistent.

"I already told you I don't need help." Celeste rebutted.

He crossed his arms back. "You have no real reason to refuse. I'm smart, we pretty much have that established, and good grades for you are never a bad thing. Besides, wouldn't it be exciting weekend plans for you to see what the nerd is like when he isn't at school?"

Celeste wondered how he knew exactly the kind of fun time she was thinking about. It would be interesting to see how Ross lived. Was he a rich gated community kid like most of the Kingdom Hills students, or was he a transfer from Oakland, like her? Did he always dress this nerdy, even when he wasn't at school? Maybe Ross was a closet metal band fan, or maybe he secretly hoarded every Taylor Swift album in his sock drawer.

Celeste had to admit, she would love the opportunity to know.

Besides, the only thing she had on her calendar was . . . nothing.

"If I say yes – and that doesn't mean I will," she added the last part after seeing his excited expression, "then you would provide food and study material. Any time I would want to leave, I can."

Ross looked like he hadn't heard a word of what she said. He was too busy flashing his perfect row of teeth in a bright smile. Celeste didn't think she'd seen anyone this happy since Clark Rogers got Delilah Sivan all of the Kylie Lip Kits on her birthday.

(She bragged to the whole school, of course.)

"Yeah, totally." Ross nodded so hard his head looked like it was going to fly off.

"But this is all hypothetical right now." Celeste added.

Ross's smile never faded. "Oh yeah, all hypothetical."

But they both knew it wasn't.

Ooh, a love interest? And Celeste was the person Xander saved from the goons? A small reminder that these characters don't really know each other too well, and yet their stories are quite intertwined.

I hope y'all like where Celeste's storyline goes and next we may be finally melding the storylines a bit more, at least Xander's and Celeste's.

This is planned as a trilogy, just saying. I am in the middle of writing the last planned chapter of this book (Chapter 23) and I have too many ideas for the next book and the third one. Book two's ending for each character will be monumental, and the beginning of book three will hopefully have you questioning everything. I can't wait to write them and show y'all.

Seeing as the idea to combine all these stories into one book was created in the most boring class in the world, it's kind of insane to see how its grown since then. This was the first superhero book planned since the beginning as a trilogy, the others morphed into them as I wrote. I hope this will make the series much more planned out. And I hope y'all love where  plan to go with it!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

482K 30.5K 68
Seventeen-year-old Coal Black takes being the bad boy to a whole new level. A super level. Known as the city's terrifying super villain, Headphones...
408K 22.4K 81
Being a teenager is hard enough. Try balancing friends, school, and crushes all while saving the world on the side. Dante Caslon is just your averag...
170 24 19
[ONC 2024 Round 2 Ambassador's Pick & Longlister] Zjahn Zjmit, AKA Sean Smith, AKA Psycona. Alien refugee from a destroyed world. Peacemaker. Superhe...
Ruin. By Bleep Bloop

Mystery / Thriller

71 5 5
Harvey, a young boy with extreme talent and ability comes into contact with a cop. Detective J.P Sloan soon learns exactly how powerful Harvey is.