Spilt Wine

Oleh ZonderZorg

The disappearance of a friend and millions of Francs worth of wine interrupts David's buying trip in France w... Lebih Banyak

Introduction
About the Cover
Print Cover Spread
Location Maps
1. Wine Theft
2. The Gendarmes
3. The Scene of the Crime
4. Nine Days Earlier
5. Pricing Discussion
6. Demand for Change
7. Laurent Grotkopf
8. Thoughts of Barges
9. Infatuated
10. Wine, Pôchouse and Ideas
11. Framing an Offer
12. Etienne Guigal
13. Riverside Reminiscences
14. Further Musings
15. Château de Beaucastel
16. Mas de Daumas Gassac
17. Hôtel Restaurant Lameloise
18. Back at Domaine Ducroix
19. Of Religion and Math
20. Two Beautiful Ladies
21. Added Complexity
22. This Thing has Grown Strange
23. Of Money and Value
24. Of Coins and Papers
25. Fair Business
26. Barging into the Burgundy
27. Oh, God!
28. Identification
29. Catherine the Biker
30. Celebrating Murielle's Life
31. News from Paris
32. Wine Located
33. Surveillance and Recovery
34. Adjustments
35. Realisations
36. A Suspect and More
37. A Celebration of Life
38. Surprises
39. A Desperate Situation Worsens
40. And Worsens Further
41. Horrors
42. Profiling and Tangents
43. Vrouwe Catharina
44. The Burgundy
45. Back to Reality
46. Coming Together
47. Finally Seeking Help
49. Disruptions in Gevrey
50. Identification
51. Of Waiting and Racing
52. Of Wine and Approachability
53. David Spills More
54. Continuing to Unfold
55. Developments and Plans
56. Plans and Confusion
57. Where There's a Will...
58. Proposal
59. Conclusion
Some of My Other Stories

48. Progress on Three Fronts

70 21 20
Oleh ZonderZorg

The decision on the two cellar workers had been easy. When David contacted Gerrard, he had said, "We can each work half time if my wife can work with me. We're a good team in the cellar." He was delighted when David told him they needed two workers.

Catherine and David interviewed the couple together. They were deeply tanned and bright-eyed, having recently returned from a wild adventure. In the early summer of '84, after the cellar work had wound down before harvest, they left their jobs at Faiveley and bought a small sailboat in La Rochelle. After repairing and outfitting it, they sailed south in the autumn.

A year and a half into the voyage, halfway around, they ran short of money and sold the boat in Auckland. They then enjoyed the rest of southern summer travelling and exploring wine in New Zealand and Australia. They had returned with an eagerness to get back to work and start building another kitty.

After the quick interview, Catherine amused herself with some of the strange interpretations from her shopping list as she unpacked and stowed items from the three cartons which had been delivered. David took Gerrard and Sophie to the cellar to show them around, and then continued racking the Genavrières with them, hiring them before they finished the first pièce.

David and Catherine sat on the couch in the early evening sharing their separate notes from the afternoon's interviews. They had liked both viticulturists equally and were trying to decide between them.

"Both have solid credentials, good experience with Pinot Noir," David said. "Each spoke from an obvious enjoyment of their work, from an appreciation of natural cycles. Both chose shepherd as their role with the vines, not the other options we gave, not master, not tamer, not slave."

"Jean-Paul had been seven years with Jacob until the family reorganisation earlier this year." Catherine ran her finger across her notes. "Straight out of Montpellier. Loic has slightly shorter experience, four years here with Drouhin, then two and a half years in California with Chandon, until he came back to care for his mother. But he has experience in both the old and the new world methods."

"They both seem full of energy, eager. It's a tough choice... What if you hire both? For six months, until after the harvest. There's so much catching up to do in the vineyards, anyway. You can make a decision later." David paused and put his finger up to hold his position. "That might be difficult for one or both of them, the uncertainty, the lack of commitment."

After another pause, Catherine said, "We can assure them they'll be free to continue seeking a position elsewhere, looking for a commitment elsewhere."

"You can give them time to pursue other openings. It's an unusual proposal, but you can start by seeing if they are interested in it. Otherwise, you'll have to decide between them now."

As David got up from the couch to go phone Jean-Paul and Loic with the unusual employment proposal, Catherine said, "We finally have some fresh food in the house, I'll go start preparing dinner."

"Still a bit early for dinner, isn't it?"

She tilted her head and smiled. "We can go to bed early." 

Tuesday 6 May 1986

"Employment law is changing in France in the use of fixed-term contracts. With changes of governments, they were liberalised in 1979, pulled back and restricted in 1982, and the movement now is back toward a more widespread use." These were the comments of the lawyer as David and Catherine sat with him trying to sort out the terms of the employment contracts for Loic and Jean-Paul.

Both had accepted the proposal that was offered, and they were coming at fourteen hundred to meet each other and to examine their terms of employment. On Monday afternoon, after they had decided to hire the young couple, Catherine had phoned their lawyer, the one Louis and his father used for many years. He said he would shuffle his next day's appointments and be there before noon. The gendarmes screened him in at ten forty.

The contracts for Gerrard and Sophie were easy, standard formatted things, but trying to find a way to handle the six months for the viticulturists was more complex. The lawyer thought it best to offer a six-month fixed-term in a standard format, but add that besides mutual agreement, serious breach, or act of God, termination could also be by reason of being offered a permanent job. This would allow not only a worker to cut the term short, but also allow Catherine to offer permanent employment to the other worker, thereby cutting his fixed contract.

The four contracts, each typed in triplicate, were delivered by a young man shortly before thirteen thirty, after he had been accosted by the gendarme at the arched gate.

"The new vignerons need to be shown the estate, but I don't know where all the vineyards are, even though I've visited all of them over the years," David said after they had reviewed the contracts and waited for their meeting. "Have you a plot, a map that shows them all?"

"There's a collection of drawings and plans in the files, some old documents, surveys from early in the century, pages from generations of estate settlements, a court order and some arbitration agreements, a lot of other papers, sketches, scribbled notes. I've tried to get Louis to draw up a proper plan since his father died." She looked up and did a good rendition of Louis' Gallic shrug. "He said he knew where all his vines are, where his rows begin and where they end. He contended that all his neighbours also know these details for their vines."

"There must be a legal registry of the titles, details of the ownership of the land. That should include precise surveys. This land is far too valuable to be imprecise."

"We can talk with Jean-Paul and Loic about this. They must know about the land registry or whatever it's called here, and how to put together a vineyard plot from the commune records. That can be a job for one of them as we begin to reorganise."

David nodded. "The prices of Grand Cru vineyards have moved above five million Francs per hectare in the last few years, and they're continuing to rise. Two square metres of Grand Cru are worth a thousand Francs, a twenty-metre row of vines sits on more than ten thousand Francs worth of land. Centimetres and millimetres count here —"

His thought was interrupted by a gendarme knocking at the door. With him were Loic and Jean-Paul, and minutes later, sitting at the mahogany table in the small salon, they both signed the contracts after a brief read-through. Jean-Paul and Loic had studied viticulture together at Montpellier and had been friends there. They seemed delighted to be working together.

With the formalities over, they started looking through the sketches, plot plans, maps and folders of papers that Catherine had laid out on the table. Loic said the cadastres at the mairie will have all the plots in their records. "Since shortly after the Revolution, 1791 I remember from my studies, the communes have held central records of all property. Napoleon later tightened the system to use for tax purposes."

Jean-Paul added, "The vineyards are in three communes, so we'll have to go to all three of the mairies, Chambolle-Musigny, Morey-Saint-Denis and Gevrey-Chambertin. I can do the one in Gevrey-Chambertin, I know the person who runs the cadastre office in l'hôtel de ville there."

"I won't be able to start until tomorrow morning," Loic said. "There are things this afternoon I promised my mother I —"

"Yes, both of you must have loose ends to tie-up," Catherine interrupted. "When can you start? We hadn't discussed that."

"I can start first thing tomorrow morning," Loic replied. "I'll go to the mairie in Chambolle on the way here."

"Tomorrow is also good for me," Jean-Paul added. "I'll stop in Gevrey-Chambertin on my way here. Whichever of us arrives here first can go down the street to the Morey mairie. Then we can take a tour and assess what needs doing and get at it."

Wednesday 7 May 1986

David was in the cellar, having finished organising Gerrard and Sophie with the continuation of the racking, and now helping them along with it when Lieutenant Grattien came down.

"We are now certain the woman in the photos is involved in this." He nodded to the door. "Can you come outside to talk?"

Confident the new cellar hands knew what they were doing, David motioned Grattien toward the stone stairs and followed him up.

"We've run profiles on the four you've hired," Grattien continued when they reached the courtyard. "They all check out fine, but thank you for thinking to let us know. It saves the possibility of surprises later."

"That was Catherine's idea... Coffee?"

They sat around the kitchen table with their espressos while Grattien showed them a folder of photos. A woman in a dark blue dress was in every picture, many with clear images of her face, some recognisable only by her dress or her brunette hair pulled into a large bun. "She is in so many of the pictures, I have selected only the best twenty or so." He opened another folder. "And here are some blow-ups of her face."

"I don't recognise her," said Catherine. "I don't remember talking with her, but there were so many there that day."

"She is clever. She stayed near me, not you. Look here, here and here." Grattien shuffled through the photos. "She is shown closest to me in every shot where I'm talking with you, but she is in no shots of you when I'm not around."

"She knows you even out of uniform," David added. "Do you recognise her?"

"Not at all, but she is unremarkable, attractive, but not overly, no unusual features, easily forgettable. The profile of an ideal spy, plainly dressed, conservative hair, nothing to attract attention. We've sent out packets to the surrounding brigades, and also to Marseille — frontal and profile blow-ups of her face plus two good body shots."

David updated Grattien on the situation with Vrouwe Catharina, and after the Lieutenant had left, David phoned Michel to get an update on the survey. He left a message with his secretary, then phoned Jean-Luc and left a message on the answering machine there. He phoned Atelier Fluvial and asked if Michel Poirier, the insurance adjuster for AXA was in the yard. They said he had left half an hour ago.

They were leaving the salon when the phone rang. "I've now completed my assessment on Vrouwe Catharina," said Michel's voice on the speaker, after the usual formalities. "I'm back in my office in Dijon and about to start writing my report, but thought I'd contact you first."

"Ignore the message I left with your office, it was just that I was sensing you had something for me."

"The barge is a write-off, worth salvage, scrap metal and a few thousand for the machinery. I'm recommending the claim be settled at your purchase price."

"Can I take the salvage rights?"

"I was going to suggest you might want to do that, she's a very beautiful lady."

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

460 91 25
Felicia Simmons is a woman that just wants her freedom. After her divorce with a real estate mogul, she sets out to raise her teenage son and find th...
127 4 37
BOOK TWO Annette is still trying to reach her main goal of getting out of the hood. Now years after all the drama, it seems more possible than ever...
1.7M 11.9K 6
*Heighest ranking 26th in Love, 1st in General Fiction, and 1st in Tragedy, as well as no#1 in mystery* When you're the most feared and powerful Ital...
Victim Oleh

Misteri / Thriller

2.2K 234 20
No No No This couldn't be happening. For a moment, time stood still. Then a hole ripped open in her chest, and it all came surging in, like air rush...