Chasing #34 || Auston Matthews

By epithymy_

**On Hiatus; I apologize for the inconvenience** One fateful night, a random turn of events finds Alyssa Mill... More

Chapter 1 // The Prelude
Chapter 2 // The Elevator Excursion
Chapter 4 // The Gala
Chapter 5 // The Chase
Chapter 6 // The Rescue
Chapter 7 // The Hockey Stick Conundrum
Chapter 8 // The Quest for Auston's Gift
Chapter 9 // The Gold Chain Reaction
Chapter 10 // The Birthday Party
Chapter 11 // The First Game
Chapter 12 // The Mother/Daughter Displacement
Chapter 13// The Mitchell Marner Enigma
Chapter 14// The Halloween Haunt
Chapter 15// The Awkward Sister Inquiry
Chapter 16// The Porch Swing
Chapter 17// The Friendsgiving Surprise
Chapter 18// The Night Everything Changed
Chapter 19// The Setup
Chapter 20// The Babysitting Experiment (part one)
Chapter 21 // The Babysitting Experiment (part two)

Chapter 3 // The Morning After

3.3K 45 10
By epithymy_

Alyssa's POV

My eyes fluttered open and I groaned. Light was streaming into the room through the blinds, which had unfortunately woken me up. I sighed, and rolled over, hoping to lull myself back to sleep. I snuggled back into my pillow and slowly felt myself falling back to sleep, until I heard a loud snore echo from beside me. My eyes popped open.

Sleeping across on the other side of the large mattress from me, was the tranquil face of Auston Matthews. I blinked. What the hell? Then all of the sudden last night's events came rushing back to me and I flushed. Oh right. He snored once again and I was pulled from my thoughts. I couldn't help but stare at the boy laying next to me. His hair was messy from sleep but not in an unruly way. His facial expression showed a sign of peace and his eyes were lightly closed. The colour of his skin was slightly pink from sleep and I noticed that his lips were actually quite plump due to his mouth be agape. He almost looked pretty in a weird way. He was extremely handsome in general but while he was asleep he gained a certain air of softness.  

I quickly shut my eyes and twisted my body when I noticed his eyelids tighten. I could feel him shuffling the sheets as he rolled over. I heard him groan a bit and the mattress lifted up from his weight as he sat up. I could feel him staring at me as he sat up against his head board. I tried to keep still but I was losing the battle. I was thankful however when he shifted and got up and out of bed. I heard the door of his ensuite close shut and I sighed.

I felt slightly embarrassed. I mean it was his idea, but I didn't overly like the fact that we had shared the same bed. When he originally offered I assumed that he meant that he was going to take the couch. But when he crawled into bed shortly after me, I didn't have the heart nor the motivation to say anything. I guess I could've moved throughout the night but I hadn't bothered. I didn't want to offend him.

"Hey, how're you feeling?"

I turned my head and noticed Auston had re-entered the room.

I quickly sat up and smiled slightly, "Oh, I'm okay, I just have a bit of a headache." I told him honestly.

"Yeah I feel you on that one. Did you at least sleep okay?"

I flushed, "Oh yeah, it was fine."

He nodded. I pursed my lips

Commence awkward silence.

Auston folded his lips into a firm line and stuffed his hands into his sweat pant pockets.

"I'm just gonna,"

"I'm just gonna,"

We both stopped our sentences and he chuckled slightly. "I'm going to go for a run. Mitch and Steph are still in his room, so I'm not sure what you wanted to do,"

I nodded. "Maybe I could see if I could borrow Mitch's shower," I said, hoping that maybe a quick shower would make me feel better.

"Sure. But like I said I think they're still sleeping. You could just borrow mine if you wanted. I think there is still some of that bath and body works crap that you girls seem to love underneath the sink," Auston told me.

I gave him a funny look, "And you have that stuff because?"

He looked confused until he seemed to have realized what he had just said. I raised an eyebrow at him. "Now before you throw any accusations at me, the stuff belongs to my sister. Alex stayed here with us for a bit a couple weeks ago."

"Oh, okay." I replied, "It was no big deal regardless, I was just curious," I continued as I shrugged my shoulders.

He just shook his head as he turned to exit the room, "Everything you'll need is in there."

"Thanks," I called out after him. I then sighed and rubbed my eyes with my hands. God why was that so awkward?

I then decided to get up and out of Auston's bed, despite how comfortable it was. I made my way into his ensuite and turned the shower on immediately, hoping to give it some time to warm up. Standing in front of his large mirror I assessed myself. My brown hair looked absolutely atrocious, with knots everywhere and a greasy gleam that made it look even worse. My left over makeup from the night before had created dark bags under my eyes and had left flakey black specks all over my cheeks, and my skin looked extremely pale. I groaned. I was a mess. And now Auston Matthews of all people had of course seen me like this.

Shrugging off my shirt, I pulled off my bra and placed them onto the vanity's counter. I shimmied out of my leggings and quickly slipped off my underwear. Folding them up as well, I placed them with my other clothes and made sure I placed a towel next to them for when I got out. Giving myself another once over in the mirror I sighed. Oh well.

I turned towards the shower and was just about to get in when the ensuite door banged open.

"Yeah Zach just meet me in the lobby in five and then when we get back we'll grab everyone and,"

My eyes widened, and Auston's face turned beat red in about two seconds after he realized what he had just done.

"-go"

The sound of my scream echoed throughout the condo, and I'm sure if Mitch and Steph were actually asleep, they were definitely awake now. Auston slammed the door closed again, and I jumped into the shower, making sure I slid the curtain all the way across the bath in order to gain absolute privacy.

I could make out both Auston's and now Mitch's voice in his bedroom.

"Dude what the hell?"

"I didn't mean to! I thought she was already in! I mean she'd been in there for over five minutes!"

"Have you ever heard of knocking Matthews?" Mitch asked sarcastically.

"Sorry I don't normally knock on my own bathroom door!"

"What were you even doing in there?" Mitch questioned.

"I left my Fitbit on the counter! I'm going for a run with Zach and I wanted to grab it!" Auston explained. My mouth made an 'O' shape. He wasn't lying, the turquoise coloured device was actually sitting on the counter near my clothes.

"Again, ever heard of knocking?"

"Will both of you just shut up!"

And there was Steph.

"Listen, I honestly didn't mean to walk in on her. I just assumed that after hearing the water running for over five minutes she'd actually be in the shower,"

Now I felt guilty.

"Steph," I called out.

Their voices quieted down and I heard the front door slam, and I assumed that meant that Auston had left to go on his run. I heard the bathroom door open and shut, and the seat of the toilet get slammed down. "Well that was fun huh?" I heard Steph sigh as she took a seat on top of the toilet lid.

"I need to leave now while he's still gone," I explained as I quickly scrubbed my body down.

"What?" She questioned.

"You heard me Steph, I can't let him see me again."

"But what about brunch with the guys?"

"I didn't say you couldn't go." I replied.

She snorted, "C'mon Alyssa it was an accident. He clearly felt really bad."

"Stephanie, he saw everything,"

"Everything?"

"Everything."

"Well shit,"

I rolled my eyes, "understand now?"

"I guess, but I mean, I wouldn't be ashamed if I were you. I'd try to own it." Steph explained.

"Try to own what? The fact that Auston Matthews has seen me completely naked?"

"Exactly. I mean you're not horrible to look at you know?"

I snorted, "Thanks Steph,"

"No, I mean maybe he liked it," Steph tried to convince.

"In all his embarrassment? Yeah okay Steph." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Well I know I wouldn't mind seeing you like that," Stephanie joked.

"Oh really? I didn't realize you enjoyed staring at me naked Steph," I laughed.

"Well I mean I don't complain," She giggled back.

"What?" I heard a shocked Mitch Marner's voice come through the bathroom door.

I gasped, "Mitch seriously?! Why the hell are you eavesdropping?!"

"One second," I heard Steph grumble before she exited the bathroom and slammed the door on her way out.

I quickly finished up my shower and shut the water off. I wiped myself off with one of Auston's fluffy bath towels and stepped out onto the floor mat. I heard two quick knocks on the door before Steph walked back in, this time holding a set of clean clothes for me to borrow.

I muttered a quick thanks as she set them on the counter and took my dirty clothes to put in the wash. "Honestly Alyssa, maybe just act like it never happened?"

I nodded, "We'll see how it goes."

She nodded and seemed to accept that answer and left me alone to get dressed. I slipped into the pair of light-washed ripped jeans and the cute floral tank top she let me borrow. I put my wet hair into a high ponytail and placed my new Blue Jays hat on from the night before. I hung up the wet towel over the shower bar and cleaned up the small mess I had left behind.

Leaving Auston's room, I stepped out into the living area to see Mitch sitting on the couch rubbing his arm and I could hear Steph playing music in his room while she was getting ready. "What's up with your arm Marner?" I questioned as he continued to rub his left bicep.

He moved his hand away and a nasty looking bruise was forming its way onto his skin, "My girlfriend happened,"

"That's what you get for eavesdropping!" I heard Steph yell from his room. You literally couldn't put anything past her.

He rolled his eyes, "I'm sorry for being concerned about your friend!"

I sighed. I really didn't want to go out now. This whole weekend was turning into a mess. I should've never stayed for that stupid baseball game.

The doorbell rang and Mitch slowly got up and walked over to the door. He opened it up to reveal a perky looking Connor Brown and two sleepy boys, otherwise known as William Nylander and Morgan Rielly.

Mitch moved aside and allowed the boys to pile themselves in through the door. "No Jake?" Mitch asked.

"Nah, his girlfriend flew in this morning to visit," Morgan explained as his stifled a yawn.

"No running for you guys?" Steph asked as she exited Mitch's room.

"Too hungover," William moaned as he plopped down onto the other side of the couch from me.

"Well that explains that," I commented.

Connor snickered as he took the seat in-between the both of us. "What's your excuse sunshine?" I asked the ginger.

He laughed, "I'll go later, I wasn't really in the mood this morning to be honest,"

"And you?" Mitch asked Morgan.

"I could ask you the same thing." He joked back.

"Touché."

"So when's breakfast?" William asked.

"Brunch. And as soon as Zach and Auston show up," Connor told him.

I pursed my lips. I was not looking forward to that. Steph seemed to notice and nudged Mitch. He sighed. "Why don't we just meet them there? I don't think they'd mind."

"True, yeah sure. I'll just call Zach now." Morgan said as he pulled out his phone.

"So did your night get any better?" Connor asked me.

"No, not really, but then again how could it have gotten worse?"

"That's too bad," Connor frowned.

"Don't worry about it," I shrugged.

"They said that was fine, they'll meet us there in about a half an hour." Morgan declared, as he got off the phone with Zach.

We all made our way out of the Marner-Matthews apartment, with Mitch making sure to lock the door. Rather than drive, Connor suggested we walk. With a few groans we all eventually agreed, after all it was a nice, sunny day. It was quite weird walking in downtown Toronto with the guys. I was worried they'd be recognized but luckily it didn't seem to be crazy on the streets today.

We arrived at a small, quaint little restaurant. The reservation for eight led us out to a long table on the back patio, which was covered in trees and large plants all around. This allowed for some nice privacy, which was very much appreciated.

Morgan went down to the head of the table, with William and Connor sitting on either side of him. I joined Connor, and Steph sat across from me, with Mitch sitting on her left, leaving two empty chairs, one beside me, and one on the other head of the table. Great.

"Perk up there smiley, your scowl is harshening the mood," I heard Morgan say.

I looked up and blinked and everyone laughed. Morgan gave me a smile, and I shook my head, holding in a chuckle.

"I was not scowling," I defended.

"Really, because if looks could kill, the chair next to you would be set on fire by now," Morgan replied. I rolled my eyes.

"She's just had a rough morning," Steph spoke.

"I think we all have," Mitch muttered.

"Why what happened?" William asked, giving us all individual looks.

"Nothing happened," I replied quickly, "nothing at all,"

"Mhm okay Princess, you let ole' Willie here know when you actually want to fess up,"

"Princess? And why do you think something happened?" I questioned, suddenly feeling very defensive.

"Because when Auston came down this morning to get Zach, he looked beyond flustered. When I asked him about it he got all embarrassed and just ran off."

I suddenly felt very guilty. I hadn't realized he'd been that thrown off.

"Oh, and by the way, where did you sleep last night?" William added, giving me a smirk.

My cheeks flushed and I looked away. I noticed Connor give me a look and Steph sighed. Mitch just shook his head and smacked William upside the head, "And how is that any of your business?"

"Let's just order huh? I'm starving." Morgan said all of the sudden, trying to change the subject.

Looking over the menu, I decided on Belgian waffles with chocolate and bananas. Let me tell you, I was really excited. Morgan got the same thing. Steph ordered pancakes, while Connor ordered an omelette, and both Mitch and Will had gotten the 'big breakfast' filled with eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, home fries, and toast. My stomach hurt at the thought of all that food.

As we were waiting for our food, two familiar faces popped up. The smiley face of Zach Hyman appeared first, taking a seat at the head of the table. He immediately took a sip of the cup of ice water already sitting and waiting for him. I then realized the only spot left for Auston was the seat next to me. He gave everyone a quick smile before staring at me, if almost asking if it was okay for him to sit beside me. I gave him a small smile and he seemed to understand, taking a seat.

"So boys, how was the run?" Morgan asked.

"Long, too long," Zach huffed out as he took another sip of his water.

Auston chuckled, "Long? Dude that wasn't even that bad, just wait for next week when we go down the lakeshore too."

Zach's eyes widened at the thought and groaned. The boys laughed but then quieted down as soon as Zach mentioned they'd all be coming with them too. The waiter returned to refill our drinks and also quickly took down Zach and Auston's food orders too.

"So any fun plans today?" I heard Connor ask from my left.

I turned to look at him and shrugged my shoulders, "I don't think so, I might just go home later, it depends on what Steph wants to do," I explained, giving my blonde friend a look.

"Well why don't you come to the player's gala tonight?" Connor asked.

"Player's gala?" I questioned.

"Oh yeah, we have that tonight don't we?" Morgan groaned. "I totally forgot."

"So did I," Mitch led off, trying to avoid the glare his girlfriend was sending him.

"Again, what's the player's gala?" I asked aloud, rolling my eyes.

Zach chuckled, "It's basically a meet and greet for all the players, their families and friends, and some of the executives. Nothing major, just a dinner and a small dance afterwards."

"Yeah, I was wondering if you maybe wanted to come with me? I mean it doesn't have to be a date but I have an extra ticket because my parents aren't coming, and I figured since Steph was probably going with Mitch, that you'd maybe want to come too." Connor explained, getting a little flustered.

William snorted as he took a sip of his hangover relieving espresso, "Dude don't be a wuss, just ask her out. Don't make any excuses about it. It's totally a date."

"It doesn't have to be," Connor replied, sending him a glare.

"Oh yeah, Mr. Hotshot, who's your date then?" I asked him, feeling bad for Connor's embarrassment.

William grumbled and crossed his arms, "I'm not allowed,"

I quirked an eyebrow and Morgan patted him on the shoulder. "Next year buddy don't worry."

I jumped a bit when I felt a warm hand place itself onto my right thigh, "His dad is a former professional, and because of that, Will's extra ticket automatically goes to his dad, in order to help further convince him to show up." Auston whispered in my ear.

I looked at him and nodded in understanding. Staring into his eyes I felt something erupt inside and I suddenly felt the type of nerves that I hadn't felt in a long time. I looked away quickly not wanting to be creepy nor stir any extra attention. The only thing though, was that Auston still had his hand firmly placed on me. I tried to ignore it.

"Are you going Steph?" I questioned my friend. She looked over to me and rolled her eyes before sending Marner a pointed look, "I guess I have no choice now do I?"

Mitch gulped, "I'm sorry babe, I honestly forgot about it,"

"But now I have like no time to get a dress," Steph whined. I hadn't even thought about that either.

"You have like ten dresses in my closet!" Mitch exclaimed.

She rolled her eyes, "And I've worn them all,"

"So?"

Here we go. I lightly kicked Marner's leg, hoping to get him to shut up. Fashion and makeup were two things you just didn't argue with Steph about. He gave me a look and seemed to understand my signal. He sighed, "Well maybe we could go shopping quickly after this?"

"Quickly? Mitch you can't rush dress shopping," Steph told him, "It doesn't work like that."

He groaned and Zach snickered, "Trust me, I know from Alannah, you can't mess with this stuff,"

"Is she coming?" I asked Zach.

He shook his head sadly, "Nah she couldn't get the time off work to come down this weekend. She's starting her final year in Uni this year anyways, so I don't want to distract her too much."

"That's considerate of you," I replied giving him a smile.

He shrugged his shoulders, "It's only for a few months, and she'll come down for Christmas and a few weekends here and there."

I nodded.

I heard Steph sigh and looked back to her, "Fine, I will wear one of the dresses in your closet, but I need to get shoes," She told her boyfriend.

"Great there's a Payless just down the street," Mitch stated.

The look of disgust on Steph's face was priceless. "That's a joke right?"

I grinned, "Oh yeah Steph I get a lot of my shoes from there."

She gave me a glare, "Oh shut up you do not. You own like four pairs of shoes, and one of them I count as your skates!"

I rolled my eyes, "I'm sorry I didn't realize you needed a different pair of heels for every occasion."

Mitch then dramatically placed his arms in my direction, posing them in a way as if to show me off, "See Stephy, if you were that chill a lot of our problems would be solved."

"Okay, let's not have a lover's spat at the table!" Morgan suddenly interfered. "Our food's here anyways,"

After a rather quiet brunch, it was decided that Mitch and Steph would be going to look for a new pair of heels for her. The rest of us, well that was up for interpretation.

"So are you going to come, you never said," Connor asked me as we walked out of the café.

Everyone seemed to stop and look towards me, waiting for my answer. But as I opened my mouth to answer, the girl I sadly call my best friend wrapped her arms around my shoulders and leaned up against me, "Oh she's definitely coming."

I went to object but she spoke once more, "We're a package deal fellas, so get used to having her around a lot more,"

Oh joy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.3K 1K 62
In which she gets bullied out of her hockey team and journeys with the gang. Sage McKenna (hockey star) is flawed. Her family is half way across the...
63K 722 36
When Maia Richardson accidentally texts the wrong number things get pretty interested
1.3K 46 11
Chantelle helps Auston learn how to be a dad when he stumbles upon his ex hook-up and unknown twin daughters at a Leafs game.
131K 1.2K 41
Esmeralda is in Toronto for a semester abroad. She meets Auston Matthews, will he be a fling or will she actually fall in love with him? Completed Ma...