Ever Watching And Ever Waitin...

By DewieBlue

Merlin has been waiting for millenia. Watching vigilant for the time of Arthurs return. What he didn't antici... More

Chapter Two
Chapter 3

Chapter One

151 5 1
By DewieBlue

Let it be said that Merlin was tired.

Nearly two thousand years and Arthur had not yet returned from the dead in Albion's time of need, or whatever that particular prophecy meant. While Merlin was glad there was no great disaster, he missed his King.

Merlin sighed as he walked down the streets of New York, still looking young as ever. He rarely donned the guise of 'old man Merlin' anymore, as he preferred to look himself.

Arthur told him to never change, after all. He just didn't think the 'never change' part would be so literal. He truly cursed his immortality sometimes. Honestly, it was such a hassle to have to constantly create new identities. It was so much easier a few hundred years ago. No pesky technology to fool or hide from if he wanted to get a job or something to pass the time in the Muggle world. Most people back then would just dismiss him if they thought he wasn't aging as he moved from place to place, but not these days.

He was staying in some hotel for the few weeks he had been staying in the city. It was nice, but impersonal. His small cabin by Lake Avalon was much homelier. It was styled much like the days of old in Camelot, with modern additions. But he needed a break, he was sure Arthur wouldn't mind if he took a few weeks off. He owed him a lot of days off if Merlin said so himself.

So lost in his thoughts, he didn't realise something was wrong until someone ran into his shoulder. Then he heard the screams.

Merlin's head snapped up instantly. People were fleeing the scene and there was a group of masked people shooting at random in the street. Merlin froze for a moment, trying to figure out what was happening. It took him a second- he'd forever blame his old age for it taking so long to click, but he realised he should probably be doing something.

But now was not the time, as was punctuated by a shop front exploding not far in front of him. He raised his arms to shield his face as more screams sounded throughout the street and he snapped into action.

The dark haired man ran through the crowd, skillfully avoiding the civilians with ease that came from spending years as a servant being pulled into battles. He pulled his neckerchief over his face even as without much of a thought, his eyes flashed gold and an invisible bubble surrounded his head, allowing him to breathe freely through the flames as he dashed into the store.

Eyes flashing he shifted debris and pulled people out from where they were trapped and ushered them out onto the streets, handing them off to police officers that were just arriving at the scene, along with paramedics and firefighters.

Ignoring the shouts of the officer behind him, he dashed back into the building, stumbling as the one next to it burst into flames as well, the shockwave rocking the floor. He reached out with his magic, finding only one more person trapped in the building.

He dashed through the flames, enchantments protecting his skin even as it turned black with ash and scorch marks made themselves known on his clothes. There was a wail just off to the side and Merlin paled. It was a child.

He ran through the flames, dodging a support beam as it collapsed where he had been but a moment before. Huddled behind an upturned metal table was a small child, no more than four or five. She was crying and coughing harshly, a thin trail of blood at her temple and matting her short brown hair.

He approached as quickly as he dared, not wanting to frighten her, swallowing harshly as he saw who must have been her mother dead underneath a bit of collapsed wall.

"Hey, sweetie." He cooed softly, crouching in front of her and edging forward. She continued to cry from her spot, looking at him with such fear.

"I'm gonna get you out, okay?" With a flash of gold, the table lifted into the air and moved out of the way. It caught the young girl by surprise and Merlin took the opportunity to scoop her up into his arms, covering her mouth with his neckerchief and extending the two enchantments to her. The first protected against smoke, not ash unfortunately and he didn't want to take any chances.

He weaved through the flames as she clung to his once brown jacket, sobbing into his shoulder. Some of the roof fell inwards and blocked their path, the little girl screamed before Merlin quickly shushed her and looked for a way out. Eyes flashing, his magic showed him a path around the collapse.

Ducking under a flaming beam, he held the girl close and ran the last length to the door, jumping through a shattered window just as the roof completely collapsed behind him.

There was sounds of fighting going on further down the street, and with a glance he realised the criminals were steadily being apprehended, or killed. He jogged towards one of the paramedics, when a shout caught his attention.

He turned. Merlin was focussed on the man running towards him, despite the medic trying to hold him back.

"Sophie!" The man cried and the little girl looked up.

"Dada!" She yelled back, squirming and straining forward in his arms so suddenly that Merlin almost dropped her. Then the girl- Sophie- was grabbed and pulled into a fierce hug by the man, kissing her frantically. He turned to Merlin.

"Thank you, thank you so much." There were tears in his eyes as he looked back towards the building, then looking back at Merlin, dread growing on his face. "My wife-"

Merlin shook his head, placing a hand on the mans shoulder. "I'm sorry. When I found your daughter there was a woman, but the wall had collapsed on her. I don't think she suffered. I'm so sorry." Merlin told him, trying to stop his voice from wavering.

The man took a deep breath and blinked rapidly, hugging his child closer. He nodded, muttering one last thank you at Merlin before handing the little girl to the nagging medic.

The sounds of fighting had stopped, so Merlin guessed the bad guys had been dealt with and turned to leave, muttering to himself the entire time. He supposed New York wasn't as fun as it used to be. He'd head back to his cabin tomorrow.

~~~

Merlin appeared in his small cabin with a sigh, dropping himself unceremoniously onto his sofa and closing his eyes.

Home.

He guessed that's all it could be for now. Camelot was gone, the castle and town lost to the test of time. Well, that wizard school was built from the foundations of the once great castle by the 'Black Lake'. It was actually connected to Lake Avalon, though it had been almost been cut off completely as the land began to grow over it.

Groaning, Merlin heaved himself from his comfortable position and set about making something to eat. With a wave of his hand his things began to unpack themselves and fly back to their correct locations about the cabin.

With the dexterity honed by the decades, he was quick to prepare himself some sort of stew. Waving his hand once more, the dishes began cleaning themselves as he wandered out the front door and sat by the lake, nibbling on his food absentmindedly.

He sat out there for hours, staring distantly at the peaceful water and not for the first time wondering if Arthur could see him there, waiting for him to return. Maybe he was waiting for Merlin to come to him, even though in the past he'd usually lost his patience quite quickly and eventually dragged him off by the ear to whatever task he wanted done.

Merlin's lips twitched upwards into a small, sad smile at the memories.

The sun began to vanish over the tree line as Merlin sat, stars appearing in the darkening sky.

"Well, Sire, I suppose I'd better head in." He said to nobody in particular, an almost forgotten image of Arthur lying on a small wooden boat as it drifted through the water before catching alight. Merlin screwed his eyes shut and forced the image away.

Most days he had trouble remembering what Arthur looked like, or the exact tone of voice he used during their banter. Or the affectionate way he'd say his name. A vague "Come on, Merlin!" echoed in his mind.

Merlin sniffed as he stood, expertly ignoring his stiff joints. "Clotpole." He muttered under his breath as he dawdled back inside.

As the years past, the details of his friends began to fade, frightening Merlin as they did. He didn't want to forget them, but as the decades grew longer, he found he didn't have much control over the matter.

What shade was Gwen's skin? What did her hair feel like as he stroked her head to comfort her in the wake of her husbands death? Or the knights? Their features were blurred and faded, voices lost in time.

And Gaius. His mentor and long time friend. He'd been the first to die after Arthur. It wasn't surprising, really, he was rather old after all. It was the knights that went next, in battle of course. Then finally, Gwen died forty years after the Battle of Camlann. Old age and with a smile on her face as she drifted into sleep and did not wake.

Shaking himself from his morbid thoughts, Merlin found himself getting dressed for bed. Pausing in the act of pulling on his sleep shirt for a moment, he sighed again and continued, sliding sluggishly under the covers and to lay on his side.

He stared at the bookshelf by his bed for a few minutes before keeping his eyes open became too much of a chore. Then between one long blink and the next, he fell into a deep sleep.

That night he dreamt of the future. Of the resurrection of a dark wizard through the use of a young boy he'd tried to kill over a decade ago.

The next morning, Merlin awoke with determination. By lunchtime he'd sent a letter to Hogwarts with a new name he'd created and was already done preparing everything he'd need to take by the time a reply was sent, granting him a place in the school as a fourth-year student.

In no time at all, September first came and he was waiting in an empty compartment on the Hogwarts Express, de-aged to look like his fourteen-year-old self.

It was time to head back to school and try to prevent the resurrection of Lord Voldemort.

Just like old times.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135K 5K 87
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
1.1M 48.8K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
419K 17K 61
╰┈➤ *⋆❝ 𝐢'𝐝 𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐥𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐩𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞-𝐛...
Fake love By :)

Fanfiction

109K 2.5K 41
When your PR team tells you that we have to date a girl on the UCONN women basketball team and you can't say no to it... At first you don't think too...