Turned - Tom Riddle

By voldemotel

Everyone in the wizarding world knew of the sinister and wicked school named Baxtart's School for the Indepen... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty

23.3K 683 2.7K
By voldemotel

Two weeks later, everything had nearly gone back to normal. A funeral was held for Klaus back in his home town. The students had been allowed to attend. When they came back, the students' spirits had been lifted by almost immediately receiving a glimmering, golden envelope, inviting them to a masquerade party. It was Walburga's seventeenth birthday and she wanted to celebrate her becoming of age. The trace would be lifted from her and she could legally perform magic outside of school.

"I really want this to be the best party, you know? To really lift everyone's spirits up," Walburga told the three girls as she looked between two dresses. The party was that night and the girls had woken up especially early.

"I'm sure it will be beyond satisfactory," Melissa reassured her. "Wear the red one," she decided, for Walburga had been looking between the two dresses for quite some time.

Elizabeth shifted, "Hey, did you, by chance, invite Tom?"

"Beth," Walburga said in a laugh, "Of course I did."

Elizabeth's stomach dropped. She hadn't spoken with Tom that much due to how busy she had been. Classes had resumed and they seemed to be loading the work on them heavier than usual. Elizabeth wanted to cry. She'd managed to keep Tom busy and away from the ones she cared about.

"What's wrong, you don't want him there?" Walburga asked, taking notice of Elizabeth's discomfort.

"I just wanted to make sure he sees you," Elizabeth told her.

"Oh, you always look out for me," Walburga smiled. "Anyways, we haven't figured out what you are going to wear," she diverted her attention to Elizabeth.

Elizabeth pulled a dress out of her wardrobe, "I was thinking this." It was a light peach color and was very loose on her body.

"Or...," Walburga stood and walked over to the wardrobe, "This." She had pulled a silk, black dress out.

"Oh, that is perfect, with a lacey, black mask. I love it!" Melissa gushed. "I could sew the lace on right now if you wanted," she told Elizabeth. They had gone into Hogsmeade and bought plain masks, all black, but figured they'd sew on the details once they decided on the theme of their attire.

"Oh alright," Elizabeth agreed and handed over her mask to Melissa who had already pulled out a sheet of black lace.

The girls spent the entire rest of the day getting ready for the party that would be taking place in the Room of Requirement. Matilda and Walburga had curled their hair into loose coils. Melissa left her hair natural, her tight curls arching around her head like a halo. Elizabeth had left her hair down and pulled a few strands from the front, back into a small ponytail. She put a silver clip at the base of the ponytail and wrapped the strands around it.

Matilda had picked out a baby blue dress with black ribbons tied around the waist. Her mask was black with lace of the same color of her dress. Melissa had a deep purple, poofy dress. Her mask was black with purple gems sewn into the fabric. Walburga had just decided on her skin tight, red dress. Her mask was in similar fashion to Elizabeth's; black with red lace. They all agreed it would be fun to buy and wear black heels, higher than what they usually wore.

"One last touch," Walburga pulled out her wand and cast a small charm, sending small flowers into each of their hair. Roses for her, daisies for Matilda, white lilies for Melissa, and black roses for Elizabeth. "Perfect!"

"We are the best looking Slytherins to ever walk this castle's halls," Matilda said with a smile. The girls grabbed their masks and tied them around their faces. It was an hour until midnight and the party was to be completely hush hush. They all left the room and went up to the Common Room where a few students in dresses and suits waited for their friends, all wearing masks. A few wished Walburga a happy birthday and she thanked them.

The girls all exited the Common Room and took off their shoes so that their tall heels wouldn't make such loud noises against the ground. They hushed each other's giggles as they all walked to the hallway where the entrance to the room was. The girls entered to the empty room except for the couches, tables, and decorations that they'd arranged days prior. Instruments sat idly at the front, waiting for a spell to set them into a musical frenzy. The girls all put their shoes back on and began getting things ready.

"Beth, can you make sure all of the drinks and food hasn't gone bad? I don't remember if I set the cooling charm on them," Walburga told her, walking over to the fireplace.

Elizabeth walked over to the table where dozens of elaborate snacks and treats were placed. She touched one and it was freezing, "Wal, I think you accidentally placed a freezing charm on the food."

"Can you fix it?" Walburga asked, waving her wand over the empty fireplace and creating warm, golden flames.

"Of course," Elizabeth waved her wand and watched as the food unthawed, returning to its fresh state. She picked up the biscuit that she had touched and ate it.

Matilda gazed up at the ceiling, casting multiple spells so that it would appear as the night sky. She cast the charm which allowed anyone to smell whatever attracted them most at that moment.

"Oh, Matilda, I adore this charm of yours," Melissa gushed. "I smell fresh peppermint."

"I smell lavender," Walburga informed them.

Elizabeth laughed, "I can smell Joshua's cologne."

"I smell...," Matilda sniffed, "citrus."

"This party is going to be so lovely," Elizabeth smiled.

They heard the door begin to move. Matilda lowered the lights to create a romantic, yet eerie ambience to the room. The instruments began playing a slow jazzy tune. Once the door opened, nearly twelve students were waiting to answer. The four girls slid their masks over their faces and greeted the guests.

An hour later, the room was packed with teenagers in masks. Elizabeth hadn't noticed whether or not Joshua had entered, for it was so crowded and she couldn't recognize anyone between them having masks and the light being so dark. Over the heads of the students, she saw the tall door open. She quickly walked over, but was disappointed to see it was only a few fourth years. Elizabeth sighed and walked over to the couches, hoping there was a seat available. To her disappointment, there wasn't a space that hadn't been taken up.

She walked down the hallway where there were a few lavatories. Elizabeth didn't even have to use the toilet, her feet were just so tired and she had to sit. Thankfully, the bathroom was empty. She leaned against a sink and took off her shoes, sighing when they hit the floor and her feet were flat against the ground again.

"I was hoping I would get you alone," a voice startled her. She turned and saw Tom behind her. He closed the door and locked it.

She pretended to be delighted to see him, "Hello Tom." Elizabeth went over to him and lifted the mask off of his face. He lifted hers onto her forehead.

"What are you doing in here?" Tom inquired, seeing her shoes on the floor.

"My feet got tired," she told him in a bubbly tone.

Tom gave a small, hearty laugh, "I always seem to find you without shoes on. Corrington isn't here?"

She shrugged, "Haven't seen him."

"Perfect," he whispered and put his arm around her waist and pulled her to him. "You really are marvelous, I must say," Tom complimented her.

"Oh, thank you," she looked down, pretending that she was hiding a blush. Pretending to be happy and flattered was a challenge for her. "Have you wished Walburga a happy birthday?"

Tom laughed, his head going back a bit, "I'm not here for her birthday. I came solely for you."

"Oh," Elizabeth said quietly. "Well I'm sure she'll be distraught if you don't at least say hello to her," she advised him, just wanting him to leave. Every time she went off by herself, there he was. She just wanted to rub her aching feet and be by herself.

"I suppose," he sighed. "Save a dance for me?"

"Certainly," she agreed in a whisper. Tom gave her a small, sly nod, then unlocked the door and left. She quickly locked the door behind him and sunk down against it. After a few moments of sitting against the door and massaging her feet, she put the heels back on and slid her mask back over her face. It covered her eyes and nose, so she was hopeful that Tom wouldn't recognize her among the others. Many were wearing black dresses similar to hers with masks of an alike fashion. She saw bright red hair amongst the rest of the students and ran over to find Bonnie, talking with Matilda.

"Oh, Elizabeth, you look beautiful," Bonnie commented on her appearance.

Elizabeth smiled, "But not as gorgeous as you!" They exchanged a few words of friendly conversation, "Do you know where Joshua is?"

"He is here, somewhere," Bonnie told her, looking around the room. "I think he may be over by the food."

"Thank you," Elizabeth nodded to her and walked in the direction of the tables. She saw Joshua standing in black slacks, a white button-up, and a tie that had nearly come undone. His mask was black. When she reached them, she saw Joshua, Henry, and a few other Gryffindor boys all drinking liquor out of glasses and laughing. She knew how Joshua was when he was drunk, and she didn't want to be around him. Elizabeth sighed and began walking off, when she felt a tug at her arm.

"Hey, I thought I saw you," Joshua mumbled. "Sorry if I'm a bit... plastered, I just couldn't find you and figured I'd get myself a drink... or two... or three," he said with a laugh. "I'm ready to dance," he mumbled with a drunken grin, setting his glass down on the table. The boys behind him all laughed.

"I think you're ready to sit down," Elizabeth grabbed his side as he stumbled.

Joshua found a seat and held onto it as he lowered himself down to it, "Where have you been, my little American croissant?"

"I really think you should return to your dormitory," Elizabeth told him, not laughing or encouraging his behavior. The last time he got incredibly drunk, he was fun and giggly at first, then turned angry and violent.

She began walking away, but he pulled her back by her arm, tugging him down towards her, "If you're going to leave, at least give me a kiss." Elizabeth gave him a small peck on the cheek, for his lips and breath reeked of alcohol.

Elizabeth walked away from him, picking up a drink from the table on her way back into the crowd. She didn't want to be alone, for she knew Tom would find her. Surely he couldn't spot her in the crowded mass of dancing students where there were numerous girls with her height, hair color, and dress color. She couldn't spot any of her friends among the crowd.

"Oop, sorry," a female voice said as a girl accidentally bumped into Elizabeth. Her drink spilled all over Elizabeth as well as hers. Elizabeth's dress was soaked in whatever the girl was having.

"Watch it," Elizabeth grunted at who she now saw was a younger girl with rounded glasses. She was wearing them over her mask. The girl ran off and began sobbing in an irritating sort of moan. Elizabeth rolled her eyes and took her wand out from the thin holster that she had strapped onto her lower leg. She waved it in a small motion and the wet spots from her dress faded. She lifted her dress and shoved the wand back in the holster.

Elizabeth was alone. Not literally alone, for she was nearly packed in like a sardine from all of the people around her. None of her friends were anywhere in sight, with the exception of Walburga, who was dancing on the top of a table with a few other girls. She stumbled and fell off of the table and into the arms of a guy.

"Beth!" Walburga spotted Elizabeth and called her over. Elizabeth pretended not to hear her. "Beth, come over here!"

Elizabeth finally obliged and took a large gulp from her glass, letting it fall to the ground once it became empty. She walked over to the table that Walburga had just fallen from.

"Beth, I wanted to let you know that I found Tom," Walburga slurred as she was released from the guy's arms.

"Why would I care?" Elizabeth asked her.

Walburga frowned, "You asked if he was coming."

"Oh, just to make sure he'd be here to see how beautiful you look," Elizabeth lied.

"Oh, Beth," Walburga hugged her. "I do not know what I would do without you. Do you know where he is?"

Elizabeth looked around, "No, but I'm sure you'll find him."

"Alright," Walburga giggled and returned to the group of people she had been talking with.

Sighing, Elizabeth walked back out into the crowd. Just as she was finally ready to dance to all of the quick paced music, the violins took over and began to play a slow melancholic song. Couples grabbed each other's hands and took their places on the floor. Elizabeth looked behind her and saw Bonnie. She was dancing with someone who looked very familiar. As Elizabeth looked closer, she saw that it was the Hufflepuff girl who had escorted her to the castle on her first night. They danced without shame or embarrassment. Nobody took a second glance.

"Elizabeth," a voice caught her attention. It was Antonin, a boy that she had grown quite close to over the past weeks. "May I have this dance?" He was wearing a mask similar to Tom's.

"Of course," she smiled. She had revealed so much to him and had completely platonic and friendly feelings for him. He knew all about her time at Baxtart's and what she had done.

He placed his hands on her waist and she placed her arms over his shoulders. They stepped to the slow rhythm. "Has he tried to talk to you tonight?"

"Yes, in the lavatory," she told him. "He didn't say anything important," Elizabeth looked down.

"Did he ask you... to save him a dance?" Antonin looked at her with concern.

Elizabeth looked at him curiously, "How did you know?"

"Elizabeth you cannot dance with him. I know what he's planning and you can't let him near you or even touch you," Antonin whispered, looking around to make sure that nobody, more or less, Tom, was listening. "He is going to try and apparate somewhere with you. I don't know where, but he is planning something awful."

Her chin began trembling. She didn't know why, for Tom hadn't troubled her before. The thought of him taking her away terrified her. He had locked her places in the castle before, but she knew she was safe. "Did he say where?"

"No, not specifically," he told her. "He spoke of a cave."

"A cave," she whispered.

"If he touches you at all, he will take off with you and you cannot let that happen," Antonin warned her.

Elizabeth bit the inside of her cheek, "How do I avoid him?"

"You can't, that's the problem," Antonin shook his head. "He always has his way."

"Antonin, you've been so kind," Elizabeth told him.

"It is the least I can do," he gave her a friendly smile.

Elizabeth spotted Joshua getting up from his seat. She pushed Antonin's hands off of her waist and separated herself from him, "I'm sorry, Joshua can't see us together, he's a bit unlike himself."

"I understand," he nodded and walked away from her.

Joshua stumbled out into the crowd and found Elizabeth, who was walking in his direction. He walked up to her and did a clumsy bow, "May I have this dance?"

"Ask me soberly," Elizabeth joked and let him take the same position Antonin had.

"I haven't had that much to drink," he argued.

"Your breath reeks," Elizabeth raised an eyebrow.

Joshua laughed and looked down at her, "The question is, have you had anything to drink?"

"I've had plenty," she replied, not enjoying his company at the moment. He was so immature sometimes and she wished he'd act older. If she could have Tom's maturity, but Joshua as a person, it would make her day.

"Come on, let's go get something to drink," he pulled away and tugged her a few feet towards the table. She knew he'd get mad if she refused, so she let him lead her over to the drinks. He handed her a bottle of half empty liquor.

Elizabeth took a sip and gagged, "Agh, what is this?"

"No idea, just drink," Joshua told her.

"Oh well, my life is going in a downwards spiral anyways, what have I got to lose?" Elizabeth whispered to herself and drank again from the bottle.

The effects of the alcohol had already began to take their toll on her lightweight drinking level. She couldn't even take a sip without feeling dizzy. Elizabeth rubbed her head and took another sip. After about twenty minutes of stumbling around with Joshua and giggling, Elizabeth couldn't even think straight. Joshua had become more stable, but was now in his aggressive phase.

"I'm going to go take a piss," Joshua set his glass down and walked over to the hallway where the bathroom was.

Elizabeth was left alone at the table, her vision blurring in and out. She knew she had made a bad decision, but she couldn't do anything about it. Her backside hit against the table and she dropped her glass.

A figure approached her. He had a mask on like everyone else. All she could tell was that it was male and tall. "Joshy," she giggled as she fell into his arms. "Joshy, let's go to your room okay?" Elizabeth leaned over his arms and let him guide her limp body out of the room. Her face was away from him.

Elizabeth let herself get dragged away, believing that it was Joshua. They made it out into the corridor and he let Elizabeth lean against the wall behind a corner.

"Why did we stop?" Elizabeth asked, looking around groggily.

"You said you'd save me a dance."

Elizabeth realized it wasn't Joshua, it was Tom. She tried so hard to regain her focus, but she just couldn't. "Tom?"

"You're more plastered than I ever thought I'd see you," Tom laughed haughtily at her. "You still look... flawless," he reached out and cupped the back of her head.

"I'm a mess," she looked down at herself.

He put his lips on hers and began trying to snog her. At first, she participated equally, but squirmed out from the area between him and the wall.

"I really shouldn't," Elizabeth told him.

"You know you want to," Tom whispered and put his hands on her hips and moved her back. She really did want it, but didn't know why.

Elizabeth started pushing him off so that she could tell him to promise not to tell anyone, but he flew back. A fist nearly missed Elizabeth's face, but slammed into Tom's cheek and nose. Tom stumbled a few feet away and grabbed his face, blood coming from his nose.

"This is the last time, Riddle," Joshua grunted and picked Tom up by his tie and throwing him back against the wall. Tom was in pain, but completely un phased. He wiped the blood from his nose and held the wall so that he could bring himself back up. "That girl is not yours!" Joshua yelled and punched him in the stomach. Tom grunted and fell back against the wall. He tried to pick his wand up, but Joshua pounded Tom's abdomen again, sending him to the ground.

Elizabeth was too afraid to say anything. Each blow that Joshua sent to Tom's body was just a blur to her. She wanted to help, but she knew she couldn't help either one. If she helped Joshua, Tom would become angrier and do something. However, if she helped Tom, who knows what Joshua would do.

"You have to stop taking what doesn't belong to you!" Joshua yelled at he sent another bloody fist down to Tom's face. Just as Elizabeth thought another punch would break his skull, Tom quickly dodged Joshua's fist. Tom grabbed his wand off of the ground and stood, aiming the wand at Joshua.

"Coward," Tom smirked as Joshua no longer attempted to injure him. "Crucio!"

Joshua was sent to the ground. He was shaking and trembling, trying his hardest not to cry out.

"Stop!" Elizabeth screamed, loudly so that a professor might hear her.

"Don't even bother, I already cast a silencing charm around the entire corridor. No one will hear his screams," Tom turned his face to her, blood dripping from every cut, "or yours."

Elizabeth attempted to run over to Joshua, but Tom grabbed her hair and threw her back to where she was. Her head hit the wall and she felt blood again, for the third time. She pulled the wand out from its place under her dress and aimed it at Tom. She was very skilled in nonverbal magic, so she was able to focus herself. Elizabeth waved her wand quickly and sent Tom flying to the other wall, hitting it and falling to the ground. She walked over to him and cast a rope out of her wand, making it wrap itself around his throat so that it would choke him. He thrashed on the ground, grabbing the rope and attempting to loosen it. Elizabeth showed no mercy, watching as the veins in Tom's neck bulged and his face turned as red as the blood which was streaming from his head.

"Elizabeth," Joshua whispered, breathing heavily. She slowly turned her head to him. He looked terrified, not of Tom, but of her. "Put your wand down, alright? Dippet can handle him."

Elizabeth let a tear fall from her eye, "Joshua I really am sorry." She turned around and aimed the wand at him, "Obliviate."

His face went blank and he stood there, staring off into space.

"Tom, go, now!" Elizabeth commanded Tom who was sitting against the wall. Despite having such focus, she was still drunk, causing her to slur and mumble her words. "You can't... be here when he is out of his trance."

Tom stood and walked over to Elizabeth so that his face was millimeters away from her cheek. "This was so much more pleasing than a dance," he whispered into her ear and gave her a kiss on her neck. It sent chills down her spine. He let his face rest against her forehead so that she could feel his smirk against her cheek. Tom strolled down the corridor, blood dripping behind him onto the stone floor.

After he'd disappeared, Elizabeth let the spell go, Joshua stumbling a bit. He blinked a few times. "Elizabeth?"

"Are you alright, you kind of blacked out for a moment?" Elizabeth asked, laughing a bit.

Joshua stood up straight and rubbed his head, "Oh, yeah. I'm alright. Let's go back into the party, yeah?"

"That sounds wonderful," she smiled.

They both entered the party again, sliding their masks over their faces. Elizabeth knew she had blood all over her, as well as Joshua. Luckily, the light was so dim that nobody had noticed. The party ended at around four in the morning when students began falling asleep on the couches. Walburga had made sure that everyone had cleared out before she left.

After Elizabeth had handed Joshua off to Bonnie and Henry, he was gone. She slowly trailed behind Matilda, Melissa, and Walburga back down to their dormitory.

It was the same thing every night. The girls would go to bed and Elizabeth would stay up, looking at the ceiling. On a more typical night, her thoughts would consist of how much she hated Tom or ways to avoid him. Now, it was different. She realized she had to make a decision and that her decision could have a large impact either way. She had to choose.

Joshua or Tom.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 143 77
In year one you were a brave, cunning, dedicated, and smart individual. The hat couldn't decide what house you were in; you were all four. The talk...
101K 3.7K 33
Amy Riddle - your average Heir of Slytherin. Last year, she was given the task of befriending Harry Potter. This year, after going through drama, dea...
105 2 19
'You have been through so much and yet you hide so many secrets. What are these secrets?' Sorted into Slytherin. Alone and scared. You hide your fami...