Con Artist Legacy

By Viviloana

Olivia is the only sane person in her family…well relatively speaking. When the death of her grandfather spar... More

Author's Note: The Beginning
Prologue: The Heist
Chapter One: The Funeral
Chapter Two: The (Almost) Arrest
Chapter Three: The Investigative Duo
Chapter Four: The Interviews
Chapter Five: The Pineapple Mango
Chapter Six: The Nate
Chapter Seven: The Mother Gray
Chapter Eight: The Gray Files
Chapter Nine: The Fortune Teller
Chapter Ten: The Truce
Chapter Eleven: The Stone
Chapter Twelve: The Mystery Man
Chapter Thirteen: The Stalker
Chapter Fourteen: The Patsy
Chapter Fifteen: The Black Lilac
Chapter Sixteen: The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Chapter Eighteen: The Interviews, Part II
Chapter Nineteen: The Disguise
Chapter Twenty: The Real Eric Matthews
Chapter Twenty-One: The Missing
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Kidnapping
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Rescue
Chapter Twenty-Four: The Aftermath
Epilogue: The Past Continued
Author's Note: The End.

Chapter Seventeen: The Lion Takes Over the Den

438 29 4
By Viviloana

Chapter Seventeen: The Lion Takes Over the Den

I sat crossed-legged on my grandfather’s old armchair, a worn-out recliner that I prevented anyone from throwing away.

Furrowing into the indentations of the seat, I attempted to channel him for advice, as I waited ‘patiently’ for everyone to finish their dinner (knowing it was only a matter of time before Matthews would have to exit through the front door).

But the task proved more difficult than I’d initially imagined; my stomach grumbling every few minutes, a constant reminder that I’d missed out on a delicious meal because of him.  

And just when it seemed like the “never-ending dinner”, the chatter changed tune and I could make out foot-steps coming my way. Out of instinct, I shifted my position; swiftly hiding behind the armchair instead.

In no mood for unnecessary conversations, I remained still as my family trickled out of the dining room. I knew Sophie and Russell would stay behind, cleaning up the kitchen; my mother and Elena would probably run up to their rooms to avoid doing any chores.

So that left Teresa and Matthews, and as the foot-steps approached, my suspicious were confirmed (they were all so predictable). I listened carefully, as my aunt thanked him profusely for all his help.

“Not a problem, it’s all part of the job," he responded.

“Of course, but if you ever need anything…don’t hesitate to ask.”

“That won’t be necessary, Teresa.”

My aunt let out an inappropriate school-girl giggle, making me cringe for her. This was not how fifty-something year old women should behave, especially not towards a guy half their age and I had to stop myself from snorting in disgust.

The pair continued to walk towards the front door, joking around like old friends. Matthews took out his phone and pressed some buttons, but it didn’t light up.

“Maybe there is something I need…it seems my phone is dead, do you mind if I use yours?” Matthews asked.

“Of course not, follow me.”

I waited a few minutes to avoid being seen and walked out of the living room casually. From the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of them turning left. So predictable.

Taking my time, I sneaked into the secret passageway in the hall and cut across towards my aunt’s office. A space she wouldn’t typically let a stranger in, let alone leave them unsupervised. But something about this man had her all dazzled, and I knew that’s exactly what she’d do.

She’d let him make his phone-call in private, while she hurried back to the kitchen to overlook the cleaning. A task, she would’ve of never let Sophie and Russell handle alone. Well, not if she wanted to keep the plates intact.

It was an old ruse, but simple was always better when you were working a con. The longer I observed him, the more I knew about the type of person I was dealing with. Armed with this new information, I exited the passage closest to the office and walked with purpose.

Locked.

Mr. Innocent had locked the door (a problem for anyone else, but not for me). I worked my magic, and opened the door slowly.

He had his back towards me, and didn’t seem to notice anything was amiss. Engrossed in his own little bubble, Matthews continued to whisper rapidly in a language I didn’t quite understand (on his cell, not the house phone). Taking advantage of his distracted state, I approached him carefully.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

I’d expected him to jump or something, but he didn’t. Instead, he calmly turned around with a smug grin on his face, like he knew I’d be there.

“Making a phone call, your aunt let me use her office,” he answered, amusement shining in his blue eyes. He didn’t seem remotely surprised, and then it clicked. He’d probably locked the door just to test me.

“Not what I meant,” I snapped.

He looked at me confused, “So, what did you mean?”

“Just answer the freaking question, it’s not that hard.”

Matthews stared at me for a few seconds, before erupting in laughter; his overly zippered leather jacket jingling with him.  

“This is not a joke,” I said.

The laughter died slowly as he sobered up, but the smile lingered. He approached swiftly, stopping about a foot away…all without breaking eye contact.

“What kind of investigator would I be if I didn’t go after the only lead?” He finally answered.

“There’s nothing here, so you need to move on.”

“Olivia, that’s no way to treat our guest,” Sophie said, as she rushed in. She shuffled towards Matthews, petting his shoulder and apologizing for my mouth.

In my haste to corner Matthews, I’d left the door open. And now, both of my aunts stood in the doorway, looking appalled at my behavior.

“She wasn’t being mean,” he said, quickly coming to my rescue. “I was just sharing with Ollie my struggle in finding a hotel room…everything seems to be booked up.”

“Oh, was that it? You can stay here…”

“What?” I asked.

Teresa shushed me, “Rosswood is quite the tourist town this time of year.”

“If it wouldn’t be too much trouble?” Matthews asked, directing his attention to Teresa.

“So much trou—“

“Olivia, shut up. No trouble at all,” she answered.

* * * * * * * * * * *

I was fuming as paced around my room; the nerve of that man. He was clearly up to something, and I’d fallen right into one of his tricks. The bastard was probably rummaging around the guest rooms, or doing something equally as shady.

Reaching for my phone, I called Nate for an update (and to maybe vent).

“Hey, Nate.”

“Olivia.”

“Sooo, how’s it going?”

“Good, it’s been going good. I can’t complain.”

I sighed loudly, and heard Nate laughing on the other end. “I’m in no mood Nathaniel.”

“Oh, we’re using first names? This must be serious.”

“Updates. Now.”

“Geez, it’s only been a day woman.”

“So, nothing?”

“Nothing earth shattering yet, but we do know why they picked Rosswood.”

“Why?”

“We’re still verifying, but according to Culler, a ring was pawned off about twenty-five years ago in a local store here. The owner dealt in the black market, and recognized it immediately as a hot item. His research revealed it was part of the ‘Black Lilac’ heist.”

“Really?”

“Yep. So the owner contacted Metz…and Metz followed the owner of the ring to Rosswood, thinking the rest of the jewels were hidden there.”

“Who was it?”

“We’re not sure, but it was a woman. She’d received the ring from an old suitor. Culler told us they initially focused on rich men…thinking one of them had given her the ring.”

“Carlo and Russell?” I asked, my memory jumping to the letters that Elena and I had found in their ‘threats’ box.

“Yes. Apparently they kidnapped Carlo to question him, and accidentally killed him.”

“What? I thought you had nothing…that is definitely something.”

“Just stories right now Ollie, we have no proof.”

“Wait, accidentally?”

“That’s what he said.”

“So, what now?” I asked.

“We’re looking into some of the details he gave us, and I’ll let you know if it all pans out.”

“You do that.”

“I just said I would. Everything okay?”

“Here or with me?” I asked.

“Both?”

“All’s good…why wouldn’t it be?”

“Ollie--“

“Static, can’t hear a damn thing. Talk to you later…bye.”

As I hung up on Nate, I thought about what he’d said. A ring had actually been traced to Rosswood, so it wouldn’t be a stretch to believe that the rest of the jewels were hidden in the small town.

But who was that woman, and who gave her the ring?

An idea struck me and I hurried over to the guest rooms, finally hitting pay dirt on my second try. An old duffel bag sat on the bed, clothes were already scattered around and some items were arranged carefully on the dresser.

A small black note book caught my eye instantly though; similar to one my grandfather had kept. I flipped through it, skimming every single page.

The man had maps of the town, very specific maps. He knew where all the affluent people lived and he’d kept records of anyone who’d been around twenty-five years ago. The more I read, the more disturbing his notes became.

There were very detailed bios on most people in town, including everyone in the Reynaldi household. It wasn’t as terrifying that he had socials or birthdays, that information could be easily found out. But his accurate perception of my family chilled me to the bone. He had me pegged, down to my door-opening time records; it was clear he’d been observing us for quite some time.

“Find anything interesting?”

Startled, I spun around, but somehow managed to keep a calm exterior. “Nothing, you’re actually quite a bore.”

“Am I really?”

“Oh yeah, almost fell asleep.”

I tried to think of a way to sneak the book out, but he held his hand out for it. Placing the ledger in his hand, I looked him in the eyes, “Although you might want to get a life, this is not a healthy obsession.”

“Don’t flatter your-self,” he answered.

“You don’t fool me…I’ve got my eyes on you.”

“Good. Let me make it easy for you, help me with my investigation.”

“No.”

“I’ll be out of here sooner with help, and you’ll get to keep tabs on me.”

“No,” I said, but my voice betrayed me. We both knew I’d be helping him.

“I’m going to start at 8, if you’d like to join.”

“Nine, and there’d better be coffee.”

I still had no idea what Matthews was planning. And there was no other option, but to keep my enemy close.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.1K 1.4K 44
When forced to take a wrecked plane in an endless sky of riddles, Mira chooses to skydive. Only to land on the turbulence that is Elias, a prosperous...
46K 645 40
A girl named rose always wanted to be a detective but when she was 18 she had to marry her enemy Aaron but something is wrong with her brother and he...
700 40 19
They got married for protection, for their mafias, for their family, but they were cold to each other, not wanting to be weak, they didn't trust each...
963K 38.5K 141
[THIS STORY WILL BECOME FREE ON JULY 1, 2024] Two girls. Two secrets. Only one can survive. Years before Nelle Wychthorn plans her escape, Tabitha Ca...