Walkers Book 1- Changing

By NocteLamia101

Day and Night Walkers have always hated each other. Even in our modern days with unstable peace reigning, not... More

Walkers
Part I - New and wrong - Chapter 1: Unfairness (Part 1)
Chapter 1: Unfairness (Part 2)
Chapter 2: Children of the Moon (Part 1)
Chapter 2: Children of the Moon (Part 2)
Chapter 3: Crying for help (Part 1)
Chapter 3: Crying for help (Part 2)
Chapter 4: A light in total darkness (Part 1)
Chapter 5: Powerless (Part 1)
Chapter 5: Powerless (Part 2)
Chapter 6: Dreaming wide awake (Part 1)
Chapter 6: Dreaming wide awake (Part 2)
Chapter 7: Trusting and believing (Part 1)
Chapter 7: Trusting and believing (Part 2)
Chapter 8: Strange victory (Part 1)
Chapter 8: Strange victory (Part 2)
Chapter 9: Swimming in blood (Part 1)
Chapter 9: Swimming in blood (Part 2)
Chapter 10: Facing the truth
Chapter 11: Confessions
Chapter 12: Confusing moments
Chapter 13: Bloody secret (Part 1)
Chapter 13: Bloody secret (Part 2)
Chapter 14: Forever Silenced
Chapter 15: Uncolored
Part II - Dead To Me - Chapter 16: The new norm
Chapter 17: The hunter and the prey (Part 1)
Chapter 17: The hunter and the prey (Part 2)
Chapter 18: Fire and ice (Part 1)
Chapter 18: Fire and ice (Part 2)
Chapter 19: Begging for mercy (Part 1)
Chapter 19: Begging for mercy (Part 2)
Chapter 20: Chaos
Acknowledgements

Chapter 4: A light in total darkness (Part 2)

848 44 3
By NocteLamia101

Still Aria's point of view, read on!

Picture: Glowing eyes

Song: I Knew You Were Trouble by Taylor Swift

The boys got to the dorm fast, and naturally they noticed Hayden’s eyes immediately. Aria knew that now she would be the invisible twin sister, while the Chriss twins took care of Hayden. Outside of home her sister always came first, always, and Aria was the forgotten mistreated one.  

“Have your eyes bothered you today?” Chayton asked sitting beside Hayden on her bed.

“No.” Her sister answered sounding rather annoyed instead of worried like she should be.

“Do you feel weird?” Evander asked, obviously caring because he wasn’t cussing. He took Hayden face in his hands, to look at her eyes more clearly, his face inches from hers.

“No.” Hayden responded again, wiggling her face out of Evander’s hands.

“Has anything unusual happened today?” Chayton demanded.

Yes, Aria thought. She saved a Day Walker and punched her boyfriend—ex-boyfriend out cold. She was pretty sure that her sister was thinking the same thing, but of course Hayden ignored the matter, and let the Chriss boys continue with their questioning. They went on for a good hour, asking stupid questions like what color was her urine? How does her stomach feel? When was her last period? Yes, girl vampires had their period.

“I’m not pregnant Evander.” Hayden snapped, Aria couldn’t help but let out a small laugh. “And even if I was, I think I’d know it by now.”

“It would fucking suck if you were pregnant though, you just broke up with the damn father of your fucking child.” Evander pointed out with a smirk.

“Yeah sure, that’s why it would suck.” Hayden sarcastically commented, covering her hands on her face and laying down on her bed. 

“Hayden” Chayton said, bringing them back on topic. “I don’t think that there’s anything wrong with you. Sure your eyes are glowing, but that’s it. Yeah sure it’s weird, but that’s all there is to it.”

“I think she should sleep on it.” Evander concluded, looking at his watch. Aria wondered how he was able to get out of his punishment, and how much more trouble he was going to be in later. “Maybe it’ll be gone by tomorrow.”

“But we have a ritual tonight.” Hayden objected. “We can’t just—”  

“We’ll do it tomorrow Hay.” Chayton interrupted. “We don’t really know what’s wrong with you and I think Evander might be right, maybe it’ll be gone by tomorrow. Besides, your circle isn’t going anywhere.” He gently smiled at her.

“Accept maybe me” Evander continued for his brother. “Because I’m damn stuck with fucking detention, and Cole’s fucking gone as he can be. Damn, when did things get so messed up?” He asked to no one in particular.

“I don’t think you’re really helping.” Aria pointed out speaking up for once.

“Well, I’m doing fucking a lot more than you’ve ever fucking done Brooks.” Evander snapped at her, his eyes shooting daggers. Aria would have been just fine if he’d gotten killed in the cafeteria fight; she never liked that Night Walker and his cussing mouth in the first place.

There was a long silence; the time for Hayden to think, for Evander to calm down, for Chayton to play on his phone, and for Aria to fully absorb what was going on. Were they really going to cancel the ritual? Aria might not be a genius when it came down to Night Walker magic, but she knew that there were certain days meant for certain rituals. They couldn’t simply cast their circle when they felt like it, otherwise there would be consequences and they would unbalance nature; after all Night Walker magic was already interfering with Witch and Warlock business. So, Aria almost understood Hayden’s frustration to postpone the ritual, who knew when their next opportunity might come by to do the enchantment?

“Fine” Her sister eventually resigned breaking the silence and Aria’s train of thoughts. “I think we could still probably cast the circle tomorrow anyway, but it’ll be our last chance.” She sighed. “What if my eyes aren’t back to normal by then?”

“Then I think you might have to go see the nurse.” Chayton answered. Hayden sat back up and gave him one of those looks that meant that she thought that he was crazy. It was clear that she was never going to see a nurse. “Hay, if it’s not gone by tomorrow then something might be seriously wrong with you.” Chayton replied in the most serious tone possible; as if to make everything seem worse than it already was.

“But it’s okay” Evander added sitting beside Hayden and putting a lazy arm around her. “We’re used to it by now.” That got a good laugh out of everyone.

Maria    

How long have they been waiting in the woods? Possibly close to two hours and still no one had showed up. Had Hayden and her friends stood them up? Was there even a ritual in the first place? Was this all just some joke to get back at them!? Maria had never felt so confused, humiliated and furious in her life. Not too far from her, Tanner was sound asleep against a tree trunk. Her twin had wanted to leave earlier, but Maria was the one who had the flashlight, and he couldn’t leave if he couldn’t see. She knew that they had arrived slightly early at the meeting spot in the woods, but not two hours early! She struggled to see the time on her watch, it was almost six in the morning; they’d been waiting longer than she had expected, and they weren’t staying a minute more.

Maria made her way to her brother; even if she wouldn’t have had her flashlight she would still have been able to find him because of he was snoring so loudly.

“Get up Tanner.” She said as she kicked him, possibly a little harder than necessary. “We’re leaving.”

“Hmm?” He responded his eyes fluttering open. “Oh right, we’re in the woods.” He replied obviously remembering what was going on and not sounding too pleased about it. “Did I miss the ritual?” He asked yawning heavily and slowly getting up.

As he walked towards Maria, he tripped over a branch and landed on her. They both nearly fell to the ground, but lucky of them, Maria was able to keep them both on their feet. She quickly pushed her brother off of her, once she was certain that he had regained his balance.

“There wasn’t one.” Maria snapped, straightening her coat. “It was all just some joke. I’m going to seriously whip that Hayden girl’s sorry Night Walker butt.” She sighed. “We better hurry up, the flashlight’s dying. Can I sleep in your room tonight, please?”

He didn’t think about it for long. “You’re sleeping on the floor and you’re making your own bed, and you owe me breakfast tomorrow.” Tanner replied, obviously not in the mood for arguing. At least he didn’t reject her. Maybe he was more tired than she thought.

Once at her brother’ dorm room, neither of them bothered to brush their teeth or change their clothes. Tanner must have been very exhausted because he didn’t even object when Maria crawled into bed with him because she was too tired to make her own. They were both incredibly squished together, but that didn’t matter, because very quickly they both passed out of tiredness.

The alarm clock went off at two in the afternoon, and Tanner didn’t want to extend his arm to turn it off. Maria just didn’t feel like making the effort of untangling herself from it to do it herself; just the thought of moving, seemed like too much energy to waste. Maria’s back was killing her because of the awkward position that she’d slept in, and she felt incredibly dizzy, even though she wasn’t even standing up. She knew that her brother wasn’t sleeping anymore because he was no longer snoring in her ears. Maria knew very well what he was thinking at the moment; this was why Day Walkers don’t stay up so late. And she was pretty sure that he was also thinking something along the lines of I told you so. It was like she could read his mind at times.

“You should get back to your room.” She heard her twin mumble. She felt his lips moving because they were incredibly close to her neck.

Her back was to him, and he had an arm and a leg tossed over her so that they would have more space on the bed. She felt his heart beat and his breathing; it was rather relaxing.

“I don’t want to get up.” Maria whined, her voice sounding clear through the almost quiet room. The only sound was the alarm clock buzzing way too loudly. “Carry me back?” She attempted to convince him.

That’s when Tanner came back to his senses, and pushed her off the bed. Maria landed on the floor with a loud thump. “Turn the alarm clock off on your way out Sis.” Tanner mumbled, obviously falling back asleep.

With a slight moan, Maria got up from off the ground. She almost fell back down immediately; clearly staying up late and her brother pushing her on the floor wasn’t good for her head injury; which sadly hadn’t fully healed yet.

When she found her balance again, she walked towards Tanner’s alarm clock, and hit it so hard it broke into pieces. And then before leaving, she cruelly pulled off all of the sheets on his bed; he didn’t seem to mind, he was already sleeping. If her twin had been awake, they probably would have started another fight; but Tanner was off to dreamland… and going to be late for class later, oh well. 

Maria made it back to her room in one piece. She thought briefly about going back to sleep once there, but she needed to take a long shower and get breakfast before first period. It was always better to beat someone up on a full stomach. So what if she got expelled? At least if she went to a Mortalis school, everyone would worship her and her beauty and she wouldn’t have to worry about silly Night Walker magic.

When she came back to her room after her one hour long shower, all dressed and makeup perfectly applied, Gwen was up and ready to go as well. Her roommate hadn’t been aware of her sneaking out last night, because Gwen had been sleeping—as one should be doing at three in the morning!

“Where were you last night?” Gwen asked, taking Maria completely off guard. “I woke up to pee and you weren’t there.”

Crap, Maria instantly thought, she hadn’t planned on this. “I was sleeping in my brother’s room.” She decided to say, knowing what would fallow.

Her friend didn’t waste any time. “I knew it! I knew that you liked him!” Gwen instantly replied giving her a smile so big that it made Maria’s cheeks hurt just by looking at it.    

    Some twins, because of how close they are to each other, sometimes ended up falling in love. It wasn’t considered bad nor gross in the Walker society, because twins falling in love happened so regularly. In fact it was considered normal and never viewed as inappropriate or wrong. But Maria and Tanner had made it clear long ago around twelve that they didn’t feel that way about each other. Maybe if they would have continued the relationship that they’d once had when they were younger they would have ended up falling in love. Only, they didn’t, and Maria was perfectly okay with that.

            “Gwen it’s not like that.” Maria hurried to correct. For some reason, her friends were always trying to find some sort of proof that she was in love with Tanner, since that faithful dare when they were fourteen.

            It had been at Gwen’s house. Maria had gone to see her friend and Tanner had obviously tagged along to hang out with Dylan. Somehow, eventually they had ended up being over twenty people at the house, and Maria and her friends had decided to make the most of it by playing little party games, like spin the bottle. Maria had ended up spinning it onto her brother, and sadly in the Walker version of the game there weren’t any rules to prevent a vampire from kissing your sibling if he was from a different sexe. So of course, Maria and her brother had ended making out in front of everyone.  Even she had to admit that it had been nice, but also very awkward. When Maria had told this to Gwen and Drew afterwards they had been convinced that she secretly loved Tanner, which of course she did not. Her friends of course hadn’t and of course still didn’t believe her and they had been searching for proof of her “undying love” ever since, and for some reason they had gotten a lot of Walkers in on their little game.

            “Oh really, then why did you sleep with him?” Gwen asked, obviously enjoying every minute of their conversation.

            “I didn’t sleep with him; we just slept in the same room.” And on the same bed, she thought but of course didn’t add. She didn’t want to sound any more pathetic. “I’m hungry!” Maria suddenly exclaimed hurrying to change the subject not very subtly. “Let’s go, I want to eat before we get stuck in Vampireologie.” It was only the second day of school and she was already getting sick of Mrs. Hail and her weird teaching ways.

            As they left the dorm and crossed campus, Maria ignored her roommate’s Tanner Questioning all the way to the cafeteria. Gwen seemed to know more about Tanner and her than Maria even did; it was creepy.  

            When they got their food, they went to sit down at their new popular table; and of course, Gwen immediately filed everyone in on what was going on, and pretty soon Maria was bombarded with questions about Tanner and her; most of them involving if she had sex with him; just the thought of it made her want to throw up her half eaten waffles. Eventually, the questioning had been too much for her to handle and she forced herself to change tables because her friends were driving her crazy.

            The thing about being popular was that you only had one proper group of friends. So, Maria had three choices; either sit alone somewhere in the cafe—which was not an option—, go back to her group of friends—which was unthinkable— and then of course, there was always Tanner’s friends. She got along with Jonas pretty well because they used to date, and Dylan got along with everyone. It was just Viola who for some reason seemed to hate her guts; but one vampire didn’t really matter. So Maria decided to go with option three, because in the end it was obviously the best choice. 

            When she sat down beside Dylan, everyone at the table stared at her. Tanner’s group may only be composed of him and three other people most of the time, but they were pretty popular, even if her twin refused to admit and commit to it like he should. 

            “What?” Maria asked as she stuffed her mouth with a waffle.

            “Finally got kicked out of your stupid little group?” Viola replied meanly. “Not surprising, everyone saw it coming.”

            “Vials, she didn’t do anything, calm down.” Jonas whined, not really sounding convincing enough in Maria’s opinion.

            “You know Jonas” Maria begun, wiping her mouth with a cheap napkin. “It’s weird how you broke up with me, and ended up with a bigger pest than I ever was.”  

            Viola slammed her fists on the table and was going to reply something, but Jonas cut her off. “Maria, what do you want? Tanner isn’t here, so you don’t have any reason to bug us.”

            “My friends were annoying me.” She replied trying to remain as cool as possible, ignoring Viola’s hateful stare. “So, I decided to sit here.”

            “What happened?” Dylan asked gently.

He was one of those vampires that you could tell anything too, because you knew that he wouldn’t tell a soul. Dylan was too nice; it was probably going to get him killed one day, she sadly thought.

            Maria took a deep breath, she might as well tell them everything because she knew that her brother’s friends could keep a secret, and Tanner was probably going to tell them everything later anyway. For a moment, she felt smug that she was the one to break the news before he was.  

            “I—” She stopped immediately, because right then, she saw Hayden Brooks exiting the cafeteria. Maria took another huge bite of her waffle, before rushing away. Tanner could deal with his own friends later, she thought; she on the other hand had a night vampire to deal with.

            Maria followed Hayden into the corridor. She noticed that the vampire was picking up speed, she was probably aware that she was being followed. But sadly, the sun was still up, so Maria was faster. Just when she was close enough to the Night Walker and was about to teach the girl a lesson, her now awake brother suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and pinned Hayden against the lockers, his fangs slightly out. The Night Walker let out a small cry, and very quickly a circle of vampires began to form around them. Maria of course, made her way to the front so she could see all the action. This was the fifth fight that she had assisted to in barely two days; the school board wasn’t going to be happy. But right now, she was happy; her brother might be sent home and so might Hayden. The day was finally getting good. It was right about then, that Maria noticed something strange; Hayden was wearing sunglasses.

You know, Maria is actually a very complicated character. She doesn't know what she wants because she doesn't really understand what she already has. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and stay tuned for another update ;)

Vote and comment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

243K 11K 59
**COMPLETED** ( Book 2, can be read as stand alone. )Conceived from a brutal rape, Betsi was hidden from the true world she belonged to. Her father...
63.1K 1.9K 15
Camila Miranda Wolfy Bane is one of the most 'popular' girls at her human school or as people say even though she thinks she's not... Wait human scho...
86.2K 2.7K 16
ash walker>18> werewolf> she lost her parents in a car accident and has always been angry but when she loses them her life spirals and she is forced...
268 14 35
Two baby girls are rescued, smuggled away in the middle of the night and are thrown into a world without their parents to guide them, the one good th...