Runaway Dad (Under Revision)

By heiressywrites

Kent Verano and Gabriella Montanes made a mistake at a young age. Kent will be a runaway dad not just with on... More

Synopsis
ONT 1
ONT 2
ONS 3
ONS 4
ONS 5
ONT 6 (CHARACTERS)
ONS 7
ONS 8
ONS 9
ONS 10
ONS 11
ONS 12
ONS 13
ONS 14
ONS 15
ONS 16
ONS 17
ONS 18
ONS 19
ONS 20
ONS 21
ONS 23
ONS 24
ONS 25
ONS 26
ONS 27
ONS 28
ONS 29
ONS 30
ONS 31
ONS 32
ONS 33
ONS 34
ONS 35
ONS 36
ONS 37
ONS 38
ONS The Wedding
ONS 39
ONS 40

ONS 22

4K 84 12
By heiressywrites

K E N T

"Are you ready?" Hens asked me as I just finished the meeting today.

"Oo, naihanda mo ba?"

"Nasa office mo na kanina pang umaga." He answered and we walked out the conference room.

Two days ago, Mr. Chui, Maverick called Hens as he wanted to arrange a meeting with me. Nang makausap ko siya sa isang phone call, akala ko ay about sa stock ang pag uusapan namin dahil naka received ako ng report that I was the leading investor in his company, next to his. Pero hindi pala, he found out sooner the real thing about Gabriella.

I remember his voice, it was a mixed anger and sadness. Even though I can't see him, I can feel it. I have felt it also, that's why I know the feeling.

Inutusan ko si Hens na kunin ang memory box sa kwarto. It was filled by all the memories we've had with Gabriella. Our wedding albums, wedding certificate, kids' albums, her hospital conditions, proofs and other stuff that are hers and mine.

Yesterday, I knew I needed to decide. I drank myself out. As much as possible, I needed to keep it myself. I do not like informing the kids. I really don't know what to do. God knows how much I love Gabriella. Kahit ni isang katiting, hindi nag bago ang pagmamahal ko sa kanya. She is my wife and the mother of my children.

As much as I wanted na sisihin ang lahat kay kuya William, I need to take all the blame on me. I was too late. I ran away, but I didn't come back sooner. Mas pinatagal ko pa, and looking at her now, she needed and deserved all the love she could receive.

Maibibigay naman sana namin iyon sa kanya, but it was too late and so complicated.

I entered my office and saw Maverick sitting in front of my desk. I went up to him and offered a handshake, I was expecting no return of shake hands but he gladly took it.

"Thank you for letting me meet you."

"I should be the one to say thank you." I smiled and led him to my mini living room inside my office. He was seated and I sat in front of him. I asked Hens for a coffee.

"When did you find out?" I asked him, directly.

"Last week, when we ate together with Kirstine, her fiance and your kids."

I nodded, Kirstine told me about it. Napagalitan ko pa nga siya because the kids were so down after what happened there.

"Nag ipon-ipon na rin siguro lahat, simula sa umpisa."

I nodded again "I really don't know what to say. But, I have to apologize because you are already involved here."

"Right." He said and nodding his head "I just want to ask if you really planned all of it? From asking about their land, and helping me out. I mean, I really don't want to create a bad image of you in my mind as I admire you, your business oriented personality but please be honest if...if you've done it because of Gabriella, or because you really wanted to help."

He sounded desperate, he sounded annoyed rather than anger yet he was calm.

"Honestly, I am already planning to buy their land from the very start. Hindi ko nga alam na kayo na ang may hawak noon. I have been tailing Gabriella ever since she graduated, so I know you already. All that happened was a coincidence. You may ask Hens, and my researchers."

"Hindi mo ako tutulungan, dahil bukod sa may atraso sayo ang kapatid ko, I am no one. Nang dahil kay Gabriella kaya ka nag invest sa kompanya namin." He sounded cold this time.

I shook my head "Maverick, look at yourself first before you tell me that."

He sighs "So I was right."

"No, absolutely not!" I answered him back, quietly laughing "You are ridiculous. I admire you, in so many ways that's why I invested in your company. Yes, you can say that I bought the land because it was Gabriella's, and partly I needed it just so I could get my revenge from their family; if that's what you were thinking. But, I invest in you because I know you are capable of running your business. I saw a potential, I saw a mature business man compared to his older brother. I helped you, because I want to, not because of Gabriella's."

Inilapag ni Hens ang kape sa harap namin "Mr. Chui, kung mayroon mang dapat sisihin dito at kalabanin, hindi ikaw iyon. Hindi ang kompanya niyo, at lalong lalo na na hindi ikaw. Kung gago itong si Kent, matagal nang bankrupt ang kompanya niyo at matagal niya nang inagaw sayo si Gabriella." He said, and seated beside me.

He was getting stressed I can see it. Paano pa kaya mamaya kapag nalaman niyang kasal kami ni Gabriella?

"Please, tell me what happened, from the very beginning."

And so I did. We had a long conversation, kinuwento ko sa kanya ang pagbisita ni Gabriella sa San Agustin. Ang pag bubuntis nito, ang pag banta sa akin ng attorney ni kuya William, ang pagpunta ko sa California, ang pagbubuntis ni Gabriella at iba pa. Ipinakita ko sa kanya ang lahat ng litrato at videos na mayroon ako. He was so focused, and so confused at the same time.

"So you and her were married? And kuya William didn't know about it?" He asked.

I nodded "That's our wedding certificate. It was a secret wedding. Since we were both filipino citizens, we can get married. I arranged a surprise wedding for her when she turned eighteen. The pastor was a Filipino, the certificate was valid, and the Philippine embassy authenticated it. It was..it was hard yet very memorable."

He sighed.

Ikwinento ko sa kanya ang pagbubuntis ni Gabriella, ang plano ni kuya William. My mother's state at that time and all the happening including Gabriella's accident and the proof of what really happened to her.

"They kept it from me." He said while looking at the papers, the pictures.

I nodded "It was not just you. All her relatives and some family members didn't know about it, except William and Armina."

"Oh my God."

I can feel the pain in him, the betrayal, the secrets, and what Gabriella has been through.

"This is so much for her to process." He eyed at me, tearing up. He is indeed a good man, and damn, I cannot make him pay for anything since wala siyang kasalanan.

My expectations didn't happen. I thought he'd get mad, he'd punch me, he'd hurt me, he'd shout at me, but no. He was calm, he was understanding and processed everything he knew. It was the opposite of what I expected.

I remained silent for a while. He's still looking at the papers, and the things inside the box. When he saw my necklace, he smiled.

"So this was the key." He said then looked at me while holding it "Few years back, we visited California where she made it official for the both of us. We also went there because she wanted to open the heart shaped necklace she was wearing, na hindi niya maalala kung kanino galing o saan niya binili. So we roamed around the jewelry stores until we got the right one. She was about to get into a fight when the manager realized she had bought the necklace, or rather, a couple of necklaces. It was expensive, that's why she didn't force it to open. Nasayo pala ang susi." He chuckled "She wore it when she wanted to, I caught her staring at it a few times, she kept it because she said she felt incomplete whenever she stared at it, and she loves to wear it."

Inilapag niya ang susi sa center table "What now?"

I shrugged my shoulders off "That's it."

He nodded "Thank you for telling me your side of the story, but I also want to hear kuya William's side."

Napatango rin ako "Of course, you need to know both sides of the story."

"I just want to let you know that, I won't give up on her. She's an amazing woman."

Tumango ulit ako "I have no plans on taking her from you. I just want her to recognize her kids, be the mother of them, and I'll respect her decisions whatever it may be."

"Thank you.." He said and stood up "I'll help you tell her everything, I'll make sure she's okay."

We hugged then he left.

I stood there, looking out my window, reflecting on my conversation with him. It was a pleasant talk; he was a man of words and deeds. Fighting the kids was difficult for me when someone else was willing to fight for her.

***

T R I P L E T S

"Finn Verano?"

Hindi gumalaw si Finn habang nakayuko sa desk niya. Kanina pa siya tinawag ng teacher niya, pero hindi ito gumagalaw.

"Finn." Dylan called him out, but still he's not moving.

"Is he sick?" Tanong ng teacher sa panganay na si Dylan.

"Uhm, no ma'am."

"Then why is it that he's not paying attention again?" She carefully asked.

Tumungo ang home room teacher sa labas ng classroom kung saan pumunta ito sa area ng mga nannies and yaya's. Nang makita nito si Manang Fe, ay agad niya itong linapitan.

"Manang, can you please call their guardian, their parents? I wanted to talk to them. Hindi kasi nag pa-participate si Finn sa klase. He was like that last week pa." Yamot na aniya nito.

"Sige po."

"Call Mr.Verano."

"Uh Ma'am, kasi po, busy si Sir. Si Ma'am Kirstine nalang po o kaya si Xavier."

"No, I want to talk to him." Saka ito umalis.

Nang makabalik ito sa classroom ay agad nitong ipinatayo si Finn sa upuan at inilabas sa classroom.

"You really don't want to participate?" Tanong nito.

Pero hindi sumagot ang bata habang nakatitig lang sa kanya.

"Sinusubukan mo talaga ang pasensya ko? Do you know that you were privileged enough to study here? Not anyone can afford this expensive school."

"Were you the one paying?" He asked back.

Mas lalong nag init ang ulo ng teacher kaya ipinasok niya ulit si Finn at hinayaan ito sa gustong gawin. Dylan who's behind him tapped his shoulder pero binalewala lang siya nito.

Ilang oras pa ay tapos na ang klase. Naglalabasan na ang mga bata at pinaiwan ang tatlo. Si Manang Fe naman ay unang sinundo si Callie na nasa ibang classroom.

Bigla na lang nagkaroon ng ingay sa labas ng classroom. Halos nag silabasan din ang mga teachers, at nagkakagulo ang mga bantay ng mga bata.

Biglang nag ayos ng sarili ang homeroom teacher ng triplets at lumabas nang makita niya si Kent sa pinto ng classroom.

"Sir Kent!" Bati nito, at agad na lumapit.

Kent was still in his sunglasses "Ma'am, pinatawag niyo raw po ako?"

"Ah! Yes, yes! Come in! I'll talk to you and the kids."

Lumapit si Kent sa mga anak niya, habang si Finn ay nakayuko habang naka crossed arms.

"Uhm.. omg, di ko inexpect na ikaw ang pupunta Sir. I told Manang na kung sinong available guardian lang."

Kent looked at her confused "Ah..I was told to come here."

"Anyway, I was just having a concern with your youngest son, Finn. It's been two weeks since he's not participating in the class. Perhaps, there is a reason behind it?"

Kent looked at Finn and his kids. Dylan was clasping his hands, Rylan was preoccupied while Finn was looking angrily at his teacher.

"I think the kids should be excused first except Finn." Nag signal siya kay Hens na kunin muna ang dalawa at iwan silang tatlo kasama si Finn.

Nang makalabas ito ay inalis niya ang suot niyang sunglasses "What's wrong?" Tanong niya sa anak.

Tumungo ang tingin ni Finn sa mata ng daddy niya "I wanna go home."

He nodded "Okay, but first tell me why kung bakit hindi ka nag pa-participate?"

"It was just weird." And he looked at his home room teacher.

"Who's? What's weird?" Tanong ni Kent.

"Her." He pointed out the teacher.

"M-me?! Why?" Tanong nito.

Napa crossed arms ulit ito "You really wanna know why? After you know we are a Verano, and we are daddy's real children, you gossiped to some of the teachers that we are treating you as a mom. That we called you mom, that we are close to you. You pretended to be polite when, in truth, you aren't. You made your students answer even if they didn't understand the question, and instead of correcting them, you yelled at them."

Napatingin si Kent sa homeroom teacher nito na nakatulala habang pigil na nanggigigil na nakatingin sa anak niya. Tumingin ito kay Kent "He's the one creating stories here Mr. Verano. He's hard-headed, he's not participating at all, and he's not respectful!"

Finn looked at her "With all due respect, all teachers are privileged to teach here, except you."

"Finn Verano!" Sigaw nito pero tiningnan lang siya ng bata at agad na hinatak ang tatay niya paalis.

"I wanna go home, I wanna drop out of this school. I want a new school." Malambing na sabi niya sa ama.

Hindi na tumingin pa bumalik si Kent sa loob ng classroom. Sinalubong niya si Manang Fe kasama si Callie at Hens kasama ang dalawang bata.

Nang makasakay sila sa sasakyan ay tahimik ang apat.

"Looks like Finn will be dropping out." Kent started the conversation.

"What?! Kuya!" Callie shouted at Finn.

"Why?! I'm not doing anything wrong!" Pabalik na sagot nito.

"Finn." Tawag ni Manang Fe kaya napasimangot ito.

"I knew it." Dylan said, "You did the right thing there even though I don't know what you've talked about."

Finn sheepishly smiles "See?"

"Saan ko kayo ihahatid?" Tanong ni Hens na siyang nag mistulang driver.

"Sa condo unit muna kami tumutuloy ngayon. Mom and dad couldn't take care of them during this time kasi nasa cruise vacation. Sa penthouse naman, malayo, kaya sa condo unit muna kami ulit."

"Okay noted."

***

"I've decided that Dylan and Rylan together with Callie will stay in that school and you will be the only one transferring." Sabi ni Kent sa anak. Tila ngumiti ito at namungay ang mata "Public school dad?!"

Kent nodded "Yes."

Sumuntok ito sa hangin at niyakap siya sa tuwa. Hindi rin mapigilang mapangiti ni Kent "Why do you love public school so much after you roasted your teacher?"

"I don't know. I just... I want to."

Nang makababa sila sa sala ay agad na narinig ni Kent ang isang maingay na tunog sa kitchen area "Dios ko! Dios ko! Dylan!!! Kent! Sir Kent!"

Agad na tumungo si Kent sa kitchen at nadatnan si Dylan na nakahiga sa sahig habang hawak ni Manang Fe at nahihirapang huminga.

"Shit!"

Agad siyang pumunta sa cabinet at kinuha ang oxygen. Nagpalitan sila ng pwesto ni Manang Fe at agad itong tumawag sa hospital.

"Hey, Dy, Dy, breath." He said.

"M-my...che-chest...ac-aches.."

Kumabog ng malakas ang puso ni Kent at agad na tiningnan si Finn. Inilayo naman nito ang umiiyak na si Callie at Rylan paitaas ng kwarto. Agad na binuhat ni Kent si Dylan at ipinahiga sa sala.

"Manang, I'll drive Dylan to the hospital. Stay here with the kids."

"Nako, Kent panong?"

Hindi na ako nag dalawang isip pa at agad na nilagay ang oxygen sa likod ko like backpack and carried Dylan.

"It's okay, it's okay, breath."

I got into the elevator and pressed the ground floor button, but it came to a halt below our floor, where I observed Gabriella's surprised expression when she spotted me holding Dylan."Oh my god, what happened?!" She shouted as she enters.

"Please direct us to the ground floor, it's an emergency!" She said to the intercom.

She faced us and gave her attention to Dylan who's crying when he saw his mom.

"Were you hurt? Ha?" She asked and eyed at me, tearing up "What happened?"

"Uhm, it's a long story."

The elevator doors unexpectedly opened, and I was greeted by the nurses. They came to our aid right away. When she came in first, I was about to enter the ambulance.

"It's okay, we..."

"No, I'll go with you." She said and held Dylan's hands.

Pumasok na rin ako at agad na umalis ang ambulansya. While we were driving there, the nurse helped Dylan with his oxygen and performed some out-of-hospital medical treatment. I called Kirk and informed him of the situation.

"You're used to this?" She asked after the call ended.

I nodded "Ah yes."

"Is he that sick?" Nag aalala niyang tanong.

Tumango nalang ako bilang sagot. I can feel her sincerity. The way she holds Dylan's hands right now makes me want to tear up. She keeps on comforting him, telling him that it will be alright. I want to keep her mine, but I couldn't.

Nang makarating kami sa hospital, agad kaming inasikaso ni Kirk. I saw Dylan's doctor, and he immediately went up to him to assist. We were running with the stretcher where Dylan was lying, and we had to wait when he entered the emergency room.

"We'll wait Dy!" She shouted as she let go of his hands.

I saw from the distance Kirstine who quickly went up to me for a hug "How's he?" She asked.

"Inside." I pointed out the ER "We made it early."

Kirstine nodded and looked at Gabriella "Why.."

"I..uh.." She looked at me kaya ako na ang sumagot "Nakasalubong namin sa elevator, she wanted to come."

"Mother's instincts." She whispered, kaya agad ko siyang kinurot sa tagiliran.

"Can you check him out for me?" I asked her, kaya agad naman siyang nag excuse at pumasok sa ER.

I went up to Gabriella who's still looking at the entrance of the ER, leading her to one of the benches to sit.

"You seemed calm." She said, as I sat next to her.

"I was used to this ever since he was little."

While we were waiting I told her about Dylan's case. Currently, he still has CHD. When he was four years old, he had to undergo surgery on installing a pacemaker in his heart because his heart became weak at his age. I remember the time when I told him that it will be quick, and he will be fine. He also needs to undergo psychological sessions in order for him to not worry or overthink about his condition. When the surgery went to success, the doctor promised him that he can play with moderation, he can go to school with his siblings, and he can enjoy what a normal kid should be doing.

He's having his check-up every month. He needs to eat healthy, he watches out for himself so much like a real adult. He is concerned about his health and understands the difference between enough and too much. I admire him not just because he is mature, but also because he never forgets that he is the oldest of the siblings.

"Was it genetic?"

Gusto kong sabihin na 'Yes, because of your dad.' but of course I can't say that.

"Yes, uhmm he got it from the mother's side."

She just nodded her head and bowed down "He's too young to have a pacemaker on his heart."

"Don't worry, he's stronger than I am."

Napatayo kami ng sabay nang lumabas ang heart doctor ni Dylan. I went up to him.

"Is he okay?"

Tumango siya "He's fine but we need to reprogram his pacemaker again. Kent, I think he's moving too much. What are his daily activities? Did you follow his diet? Or did you stop it?"

I became silent. I feel guilty and responsible for anything in Dylan's case. Para akong batang pinapagalitan. Hindi ko maasikaso si Dylan lately, and I have no answers to his questions.

"I need to run some tests but I already assumed that it was an electrolyte abnormality again. Baka mataas na naman ang potassium ng bata sa dugo. I'm still waiting for the tests to confirm it, but the symptoms have shown already."

"I'm sorry."

He tapped my back "It's okay, he's fine. We'll transfer him to the OR for the surgery." Tumingin pa siya kay Gabriela at ngumiti at tuluyang bumalik sa loob.

Bumalik ako sa pwesto namin kanina.

Manang Fe has been feeding them, and I know that she follows Dylan's diet. Kinukumusta ko naman palagi ang mga bata, and Dylan looks fine every day so I assumed that everything was fine.

"High in potassium? Means, from the food he eats?" Tumabi ulit siya sa akin sa upuan.

"Yeah, probably."

Naramdaman ko ang haplos niya sa likod ko "Hey, he's fine. Why do you have that look on your face?"

Hindi ako nag salita o umimik pa. God, this woman.

"Don't feel guilty. The moment I saw you with the kids, I know you are a great dad. I can feel it. So don't feel guilty."

Nang dahil sa sinabi niya ay napatingin ako sa kanya, at hindi ko inalis ang mga titig ko sa harap niya. Kung alam niya lang kung gaano ako ka-guilty nang iwanan ko siya kasama ng mga bata. Kung alam niya lang na, hindi ako isang mabuting ama, dahil ipinagkait ko sa kanya ang mga anak niya.

"Hoy. Okay lang kayo?"

Bumalik lang ako sa katinuan nang makita ko si Kirstine sa harap namin.

"Ah, yes." Sagot ni Gabriella.

"Kuya, tumawag si mommy and daddy. They were so worried. The moment na dumaong daw ang cruise ship sa Spain, they will book a flight to come back."

I shook my head "Bakit nila nalaman?"

"Ah..eh.." She bit her lip which I know she's the one who told them.

"Hay nako Kirstine!" I snapped.

"Sorry na! Okay! I'll tell them not to worry!" Inirapan niya ako at muling tumingin kay Gabriella tsaka ngumiti "Dylan will be fine Gab. After the tests, ililipat na siya sa operating room."

Tumango ako kay Kirstine kaya agad niyang inalok si Gabriella sa cafeteria ng hospital. Naiwan ako sa labas ng ER and ilang minuto pa ay lumabas na si Dylan na nasa stretcher. He's conscious and has oxygen on. I walked with them on the way to OR.

"M-mommy?" He asked while gripping my hand.

"She's here and she said she'll wait for you. Kasama niya si tita Kirstine to get some food while we wait. So help yourself okay?"

He slightly smiled and nodded.

Nang makapasok siya sa OR ay agad akong napahinga ng malalim. I can't help but to silently and hide my cry. I should be as attentive as I could. This won't happen kung hindi ako naging pabaya.

***

Dylan had already been taken to a private room after the surgery. I was just here, waiting for him to wake up, and he's still sleeping. Kirstine and Xavier arrived with meals and clothes for me to change into. I told them to stay in the condo so that the children would not be concerned.

Gabriella went home, but she was here when Dylan went out of the operating room. Halos sabay din kami kumain ng dinner, at nag kwentuhan. She changed a lot, the jolly person I've met changes into a mature, and serious type of woman. We did laugh at her jokes and dad jokes, and it was a great conversation with her again.

Dylan's doctor told me that Dylan's stable now. They reprogrammed again his pacemaker and pinagalitan ako about his sudden attack.

"I believe it is now time for him to be homeschooled again. For him, you'll also need to hire a nurse or a nutritionist. The more you expose him to the outdoors and allow him to eat whatever he wants without supervision, the more attacks will occur. For the sake of his health, this is my advice to you, Kent."

After our conversation, I called Hens and Elle to find me a nurse with a dietician degree. Hens also informed me that he already found a school for Finn.

"Daddy?"

I looked at Dylan and went up to him. It's already three am in morning.

"Hi bud." I said and kissed him on the cheek "How are you feeling?"

"Better." He smiled and looked around "Where's mom?"

I smiled back "She went home anak. It's three in the morning so she needs to go home. But she's here when you went out of the operating room. She told me she'll come back."

He just nodded and closed his eyes "I'm hungry."

I heated up the soup Kirstine prepared for us and let him eat while watching his favorite movie. After he ate, he lied down again.

"What did tito Ronald tell you?" He asked. Doctor Ronald was his doctor and operating surgeon, the one I have talked with earlier.

"I don't want to stress you out, but we need to get you homeschooled now." I hold his hand as he sighs "We need to be attentive to you from now on."

"Okay."

"You understand me right bud?" I asked and kissed his hands "I know it's tough for you, but this is the only way to keep you safe and healthy."

He looked at me and smiled "I understand dad."

"Thank you." I bowed down while sniffing his hands "I'm sorry, I should've been ..."

"Dad." He stopped me while shutting up my mouth "No. There's no need for you to say that po. I have enjoyed every moment, every bit of seconds outside, with my twins, Callie, with you, with everyone around me. So please stop saying sorry po."

Tumango nalang ako at nag punas ng luha "I love you anak."

"I love you too dad."

He fell asleep again after we had watched another movie. I went up to the sofa bed and slept.

***

I was awakened by the sound of giggles. I opened my eyes and saw a woman, with Dylan. I saw Gabriella's face when my eyes were no longer fuzzy, holding a tray of food in her hands.

"Oh, you're awake. Good morning." She greeted me.

Napabangon ako bigla at napakusot muli ng mata "You're here. Di moko ginising." I looked at the clock and it's eight in the morning.

"Himbing ng tulog mo eh." She giggled and faced Dylan again, who's smiling at us "Kirstine said to not wake you up, besides, Dylan told me you slept at around four in the morning so we gave you time to sleep."

I went on the other side of Dylan's bed "How do you feel?"

"I'm feeling much better." He answered and smiled.

"Oh, the nurses changed his dressing earlier." Aniya ni Gabriella at sinubuan ulit si Dylan ng pagkain.

"Okay, thank you. I'll take a shower so we could swap."

"Take your time." Sagot niya at patuloy na kinausap si Dylan habang kumakain. I went up to the bags then got clothes. I looked at them before going inside the cubicle.

I looked at the mirror, then saw myself so ugly. My beard was long, I didn't have a proper haircut, I looked like an old man, without a love life, which is true naman. Para akong napabayaan.

I looked for a shaver and, thank God, they gave it to me. I washed, shaved my beard, and scratched the living daylights out of myself. I headed out after finishing my usual routine.Tapos na kumain si Dylan. I searched for Gabriella and she was sitting on the sofa, beside... Maverick.

I smiled "Good morning." I greeted.

Tumayo ito at nakipag kamay sa akin. I looked at Dylan then to him. Tumingin din siya kay Dylan, na nakasimangot na ngayon habang nakatuon ang tingin sa TV. I know he's aware, he's very much aware. He wouldn't act like this if he wasn't.

"You're here." I said the eyed Gabriella "Aalis ka na?"

She sadly smiled "Yes, work."

"Sure, sure!" I said and tapped her back "Thanks for keeping your promise of coming back. I know you're a busy person and I appreciate you taking the time to come here.."

"No it's okay. I kept my promises." She answered and went to Dylan.

Nag aalangan naman akong tumingin kay Maverick but I still did "Thanks for dropping by."

He nodded and pointed out the fruits on the table beside the bed "I.. for your kid."

"Thanks."

Pinagmasdan naming dalawa si Gabriella at si Dylan na nag uusap. They made pinky promises after she promised to come visit us again. It was terrible for me to look at them right now. My wife, my child, and whoever keeps her close to him in the same room are all suffocating.

"We'll go ahead." She said.

She was about to give me a hug when I offered her a handshake. Hugging her back wasn't a good idea at this point.

"Bye, thank you." I said, then they went off.

Napagawi ang tingin ko kay Dylan, na nakayuko at nakasimangot. Lumapit ako sa kanya at hinawakan siya sa kamay "I'm sorry."

"Why is it taking so long?" Tanong niya, sa malumanay na boses.

"It takes time anak." I answered and gripped his hand "We will trust the process. Aabutin ng matagal, pero hindi dapat nating madaliin. This is my fault, so you should not stress yourself."

He just sighs and goes back lying in bed. Hindi na din ako umimik pa, dahil alam kong masama ang loob niya.

***

"Daddy! Kuyaaaaa!" Callie's voice filled out the room. The excitement in her voice was so calming. Kanina pa kami tahimik dito ni Dylan sa kwarto, at naging maingay lang nang dumating na sila.

I saw Dylan's face lit up when he saw Callie, and his twins. He started talking again.

"Hi dad!" Finn greeted and kissed my cheeks "You shaved." He said, "Hmm, you look so much better without your beard on."

"Thanks." I winked and ruffled his hair.

Pumasok si Hens, kasama si Elle at manang Fe. Inilapag nila ang dala nilang take out foods. Nag kumustahan din, about sa kompanya at sa showbiz happenings.

Habang nag lalaro at nanonood ang mga bata sa kama ni Dylan ay kami nama'y nakaupo sa sofa.

"Nag pahanap na ako sa research team ng nurse and dietician. I'll be getting an update by tomorrow." Sabi ni Hens at tumingin kay manang Fe.

"Manang, I just want to ask kung nasusunod ba ang diet ni Dylan?" Tanong ni Hens.

Pinanlakihan ko siya ng mata, dahil padalos dalos siya sa pagtatanong.

"Bakit Hens?" Tanong ni manang. Tumingin din siya sa akin "May...problema ba?"

Tumango ako bilang sagot "Opo eh. They re-programmed Dylan's pacemaker kaya he went under surgery yesterday. Mataas daw sa potassium, halatang di nasusunod ang diet meals. Nasobrahan din daw po sa pag galaw." I honestly said.

Nakita ko ang pag pikit ni manang Helen at hiya sa reaksyon nito "Sorry."

Umiling ako "Nako manang, wag po kayong mag sorry. Ako po ang may kasalanan dahil hindi ko..."

"Iho, ako ang may kasalanan." Umangat siya ng tingin at pinagmasdan si Dylan "Masyado akong naawa sa bata, hindi ko namalayan na mali na pala ang pag kunsinti ko."

Napabuntong hininga ako at tumingin kay Hens, saka siya binigyan ng masamang tingin. This is not what I planned in mind on talking to her, ayan tuloy, she's blaming herself.

"Naaawa kasi ako sa bata. Naiinggit siya sa mga kinakain ng kapatid niya. Limitado siya gumalaw. Kaya, kung minsan ay hinahayaan ko siya sa gusto niyang kainin. Patawad iho, ako talaga dapat sisihin dito dahil ipinagkatiwala mo sa akin ang mga anak mo."

Linapitan ko siya at pina kalma "Manang, okay lang po. Naagapan naman, iyon ang importante. You did your job, and thank you for giving Dylan his freedom. Sadyang nasobrahan lang po, kaya napasama."

"Sorry talaga."

We talked more about Dylan. Sinabi niya sa akin ang naranasan ng anak ko, na hindi ko alam. All along, nanay Fe was the one taking care of them when Gwen and her twin left us for good. Siya ang nagmistulang nanay and tatay ng mga bata when I wasn't around, so I am grateful for her, and di ko magawang magalit sa taong nag alaga ng mga anak ko.

Dahil sa tumatanda na rin siya, she decided to retire. Sa una ay hindi ako pumayag, but when she told me she need to go home in her province para doon mamahinga, I agreed and offered financial help.

It was an emotional moment, but it was reassuring.

To be continued...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.5M 908K 44
(Game Series # 2) Aurora Marie Floresca just wanted to escape their house. Ever since her father re-married, palagi na silang nag-aaway dalawa. She w...
29.2M 1M 69
From strangers to friends. From friends to close friends. From close friends to lovers. When Joey met Psalm, she didn't think that they'd ever be to...
12.2M 537K 57
(Game Series # 6) Assia dela Serna's dream was to become a lawyer. Ever since she was little, she had dreamt of becoming one... But from a young age...
250K 14K 35
"You're mine Pinky. Makipaghiwalay ka man sa akin ngayon pero sa akin pa rin ang balik mo.." -- Cedric Dalawang taon ng hiwalay si Pinky sa kanyang e...