Heirs of War, Crown of Flames...

By MaraValderran

Weeks have passed since Ariana and Alec escaped from Kellen's dungeon, but danger isn't far behind them. The... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Keep reading and join the discussion!
Your Free Ebook is Waiting!

Chapter Three

3.9K 179 20
By MaraValderran

Terrena sat on her bed, slowly drawing the laces through the boots she would be wearing to dinner while Rhaya fussed with her hair. The Duillaine had requested their presence for the second night in a row and insisted they begin dressing their parts as future rulers of the worlds. Rhaya didn't seem to mind the dresses as much as Zelene did, but Terrena felt more uncomfortable than she let on.

"Does Leone have to escort us to this meeting too?" Rhaya asked, not hiding her disdain at the idea.

"No, I don't believe he does. But he is our father, Rhaya. It's his duty to escort us in and announce us during formal occasions until we get married."

"Until they marry us off," Rhaya corrected. "Last time I checked, we don't get any say in the matter."

"Of course we do," Terrena argued and stood up. She walked over to where her sister stood, in front of the full length mirror in her room. "They aren't going to shove us into the arms of just anyone, you know. They are still our parents, and our happiness matters to them."

"Then what's with all the theatrics? Even a simple dinner to meet the rest of our family turned into some kind of parade."

Terrena picked up a comb from the dresser and started pinning Rhaya's dark hair back. "I'd say it was more of a practice run, to get us used to the idea of being presented. Personally, I'm more used to hiding and hoping no one notices me, so the idea of standing before crowds is going to take some adjustment."

Rhaya's attitude quickly shifted to sympathy. "It must have been so hard for you. Always on the run. Alone."

Terrena bristled at Rhaya's pity. She could tell that her sister was reading her emotions, and she didn't appreciate the intrusion. "I had Kenward, just as you had Raemann."

"I had Isauria. I suppose, in a way, Isauria had you," Rhaya mused. "Since she dreamt about you, I mean."

"How is Isauria doing? I understand she has a better hold on her ability since she was overcome before."

Rhaya nodded. "I haven't been by to see her much. When I do, she's usually off . . . seeing, or whatever you call the verb of her gift. Watching? Ghosting? Ultimate stalking?" She grinned when Terrena laughed. "What? What Isauria can do is a little creepy. It was fun when she was just stuck with Ariana, but now she can pop in on any of us. It's weird. Don't tell me you weren't weirded out a little when you found out she'd been seeing you all those years."

"Yes and no," Terrena answered honestly. In truth, had she known then, it would have brought her much comfort. "It's nice to think I was connected to her still even though she was literally worlds away from me. But there are some things I'd rather not have anyone know."

Rhaya looked at her knowingly. "I can understand that. It's easier to hide your heartbreak when no one else knows about it."

Terrena shifted uncomfortably, reminded once more that thanks to Isauria's dreams and their friendship on Dhara, Rhaya already knew much more about her life than she liked. "Not when you have a sister who is an empath. Stop using your ability on me. It's rude."

Rhaya flushed. "Sorry. It's sort of automatic."

Terrena finished with her sister's hair and took a step back to admire her work. Rhaya's raven locks were pulled back, with small braids wrapping around her head and framing a loose bun. She'd chosen a deep ultramarine gown framed by a silver corset, and she looked absolutely exquisite. Terrena felt positively plain standing next to her younger sister.

"You look absolutely beautiful, Rhaya," Terrena said. "We should go. If memory serves, punctuality is something our mother holds in high esteem."

They rushed off to the meeting room on the second floor of Anamlar. The Duillaine were already seated at a round table. Terrena loved the idea of a round table, just like the ones King Arthur had used during his reign on Cargan centuries before. However, this table was so large that it almost negated the idea of sitting amongst equals. The Duillaine were on one side, seated close together, and the only other chairs were directly across from them, leaving a big gap in between.

She and Rhaya took their seats in two of the four empty chairs. Terrena guessed that the other two chairs were for Isauria and Zelene, but she doubted either would be present. The disdainful look Sylvanna wore confirmed this.

"As we mentioned last night," Sylvanna began, "we are planning a much larger scale celebration for Imbolc than normal since we will be hosting the Tullians at that time."

"Right down to business then," Rhaya muttered.

Terrena's heart went out to her sister in moments like this, when so much tension radiated throughout the room that even she could sense it without the aid of any empathic abilities. Which meant Rhaya would be feeling everything with much more intensity as an empath without control over her gifts. Terrena's gaze shifted between the three Duillaine. Sylvanna's posture stiff and her nose in the air. Solanna, the youngest Duillaine, sat up straight, but her head was lowered to stare at the hands folded in her lap.

Terrena's mother, on the other hand, did not even try to hide her exhaustion. She leaned back in her chair, slumped over and resting her cheek against her left hand. Meridel's face was almost as red as Solanna's hair, which meant she was more than tired. She was upset, possibly even angry, which led Terrena to wonder what the Duillaine had been discussing—or more accurately, arguing about, from the looks of it—before they arrived.

"It is also our hope," Sylvanna continued, staring directly at Terrena, "to celebrate Wassail."

Terrena nodded ever so slightly, her heart sinking into her stomach. She knew what they meant. They hoped for her to marry. She knew this day would be coming, but she had hoped it wouldn't be this soon after leaving Garrett.

"Wassail is the marriage ceremony thing, right? Who's getting married?" Rhaya asked, clearly not catching on to the pointed looks the Duillaine gave Terrena.

Terrena cleared her throat and sat up a little straighter. "I am. To whom am I betrothed?"

Rhaya caught on to their meaning then. "Oh . . . you want Terrena to marry one of the Tullians." She reached under the table and took her sister's hand, giving it a squeeze. "Who's the lucky guy?"

Terrena closed her eyes, relieved that Rhaya was here with her instead of Zelene. Everything had to be a fight with Zelene, and it was the last thing she needed at the moment. Terrena needed to accept this, and having the support of her sister helped.

"His name is Reilly," Solanna answered.

"And what does he offer with our union?" Terrena asked, trying to muster her best professional air and ignoring Rhaya's disapproving glance.

"The armies of Tullia, which he now leads. He will also begin recruiting from our lands to join the army in the fight against Cahira," Sylvanna explained.

Rhaya leaned on the table. "Wait, so do you mean Anscombe doesn't have its own army?"

Sylvanna tsked. "Of course we do, child. The Estridian army defends all the worlds against the Cahiran threat, so we are stretched rather thin. Needless to say, we could use the reinforcements to protect our own borders and the capital. We could use more guards patrolling our hallways in light of recent events."

"We've needed more guards for a long time," Solanna added, an edge of resentment in her tone.

Sylvanna waved her off. "Yes, well, now we have some bargaining power to get more soldiers."

"But why don't you just order the other worlds to give you more soldiers?" Rhaya asked. "I mean, you guys rule them all. Right?"

"Yes, but we don't want to be tyrannical," Meridel said. "Each world has an independent government of their own, and they must look out for their own interests, just as the separate territories of Estridia do."

"Then why are our soldiers defending their lands and not our own?"

"Because those lands have negotiated for our help, and so we give it." Sylvanna grew impatient with the questions. "Anything else, Rhaya? Or perhaps you would like to save your questions for your actual tutors?"

Rhaya folded her hands on the table. "One more thing. What aren't you telling us about this Reilly guy? The three of you are oozing sympathy for Terrena since she's going to have to marry him—heck, even you seem sympathetic, Sylvanna, and that doesn't strike me as anywhere near your usual character—but you haven't said why this match will be so bad for her."

Terrena didn't dare look up. She knew that her sister spoke the truth, but she didn't know whether or not she wanted an answer to the question. She would do her duty, as is expected of her, regardless of the cost. It was for the benefit of the people, so it didn't really matter what Reilly was like.

"He's a widower," Meridel answered softly. "He lost his family in the war."

"He is the best we can do at your age, Terrena." Sylvanna sighed. "We're lucky he comes with such a bounty as an army."

"We generally like to give you more time to get to know one another," Solanna added, "as we did by allowing Prince Cedwen to arrive years before any betrothal arrangements would be reached—"

"Wait," Rhaya interrupted her aunt, "did you just say Cedwen? To whom is he supposed to be betrothed?"

"Not you," Solanna assured her. "He is here from Tremain, a world abundant in resources used to forge weapons, and when the time comes, we will negotiate a betrothal with either Zelene or Ariana, though it seems he and Zelene might already be forming a bond."

"Doubt that'll last long after she finds out," Rhaya remarked. "Have you told her yet?"

Sylvanna dismissed Rhaya's concerns. "I believe we were discussing the more pressing matter of Terrena's betrothal contract to Reilly of Tullia.

"He is a good man with a wonderful reputation," Meridel assured her. "He arrives two weeks from now."

Terrena put on her bravest face, despite the pit opening in her stomach. "I look forward to meeting him."

***

"How can you be so calm about this?" Rhaya asked as they headed back to their rooms an hour later. She had sat in silence while the Duillaine discussed the details of her sister's betrothal with them, but that didn't mean she could understand it. She knew Terrena loved Garrett. Her sister's heartbreak over losing him was so strong. It was like Terrena's heart was constantly screaming its feelings at Rhaya, even if Terrena herself never spoke a word.

Terrena shrugged. "I've known about this my whole life, Rhaya. You forget that Kenward raised me to understand the duties that would one day be expected of me. I know our marriage customs, and I know the negotiations that usually take place with children of political families. When I was nineteen, the son of the city tax collector in the North wanted to marry me. His father placated him by meeting with Kenward, but we had nothing to offer. At least, nothing I could give since I could not actually marry without the knowledge and permission of the Duillaine."

"I didn't know you were in love with anyone else. I mean, besides Garrett," Rhaya amended.

"I wasn't. The boy thought I was pretty, but he knew nothing about me."

Rhaya could tell that Terrena didn't want to talk about it, so she let the subject drop for the time and they walked back to their building in silence. Rhaya glanced behind them to see their Cynewards following and gave Raemann a small wave, wishing she could talk to him about her sister and everything she was feeling.

"I'm glad the Tullians will be arriving soon," Terrena said with forced optimism. "I hope you like Reilly."

"I hope you like Reilly," Rhaya retorted and then sighed. "Why don't you just tell them about Garrett?"

"I really wish you didn't know about him." Terrena grabbed Rhaya by the hand and dragged her into the stairwell leading up to their floor. "I appreciate that you are trying to look out for me, Rhaya, but you can't possibly understand my position even though you will one day be in it. It is our way, and it is for the best. Garrett does not come with armies that will support us. I wish with all my heart that he did, but I have to do what is best for our people. One day you will see that, and I hope that you will make the right choice on that day."

"But you love Garrett," Rhaya argued in a small voice.

"Yes, and I hope to one day love Reilly half as much, for even that will be enough to sustain a happy marriage and ensure our alliance with Tullia. We need them. If we had their army, we might have already stormed Cahira and rescued Ariana. But we simply don't have the resources to do that right now, as important as she is."

"I don't know what's worse," Rhaya said with a sad shake of her head, "that you're lying to me, knowing I can tell, or that you're lying to yourself."

Terrena turned away angrily. "Perhaps one day you will also learn how incredibly hurtful it is to direct your gift at those closest to you. It's bad enough that you've invaded my private moments through Isauria, but now you spy on my emotions as well."

"You're my sister. I'm just trying to be there for you."

"Then perhaps you might do well to get to know me before you come to your own conclusions about what I should or should not do. You are too quick to judge, Rhaya. Just like you are doing with our father."

"Our father doesn't know the first thing about us."

"And he never will so long as you sit there and sulk anytime he is in the room. Perhaps if you could be more understanding of his position instead of being so offended at how he treats your Cyneward, he might have a better chance of being your father. Or maybe you are content to simply stomp your foot like a petulant child when something in this world fails to live up to your expectation, like Zelene does. Because her attitude is quite useful."

Terrena turned and marched up the staircase, leaving her sister behind. Rhaya moved to the side to allow Kenward to pass, noticing the reproachful look he gave her before going after his ward. Rhaya knew she shouldn't have pushed it with Terrena, but she felt she had to do something. She knew in her heart that this marriage was a bad idea. She just didn't know how to get Terrena to see that.

Unless maybe Terrena wasn't the one she needed to convince.

Raemann walked up to her, already looking suspicious. "I can see the wheels in your head turning. What are you up to?"

Rhaya shrugged innocently. "Remember how I could always get you to do what I wanted by crying? Even when you knew I was doing it on purpose?"

Raemann chuckled. "You managed to con me into so many ice cream trips that you really should have been a pudgy little thing." He poked her ribs playfully. "Thinking of trying the same tactic on your real father?"

She grinned up at him. "You know me best." She swiveled around and marched up the stairs with a new destination in mind. She paused in front of the large oak doors in front of her parents' apartment and shot a glance to Raemann for encouragement. He shrugged as if to say, "if you must," but there was a twinkle in his eye that told her he was proud that she was standing up for her sister. She threw open the doors to the antechamber, not pausing to let their maidservant announce her before bursting into her parents' apartment.

"You can't force her to do this," Rhaya announced to her parents, who were both sitting in their parlor.

Their apartment, she noticed, was much bigger than hers and held actual rooms as opposed to the open layout of her room. The walls were the same characteristic gray stone as the rest of Anscombe, which only added to the chill. Rhaya could tell that her parents weren't in love, but she hadn't expected their room to be so devoid of emotion. Very few paintings hung on the walls, and even the curtains were a dull brown. She looked back and forth between them, noticing how they seemed to exist in separate worlds even when sharing the same space. Her father reclined in a chaise-lounge on the far side of the room reading a book, while her mother sat at the writing desk in the corner, busy at work with some papers.

"Force who to do what?" Leone asked, his hooked nose wrinkled in confusion.

"Force Terrena to marry some guy when she's obviously in love with someone else," Rhaya rattled on nervously. "Who cares if Garrett is poor and doesn't have an army to back him? Shouldn't it matter whether or not Terrena will be happy? And trust me when I say that she absolutely will not be happy with this Reilly guy. Mom, I know you can sense it too."

Meridel rose from her seat and came to meet Rhaya in the doorway. "My dear, sweet, Rhaya. You heard what your sister said. This is her duty, as it will one day be yours."

Rhaya shifted her angry gaze to her father. "And I suppose you approve of this little arrangement too?"

He surprised her by shaking his head. "Arranged marriages are complicated, at best." He cut his eyes to his wife. "Sometimes affections can be drastically uneven, or sometimes there can be no affection at all. I don't wish that kind of life for my daughters."

Rhaya stepped away from her mother and walked over to her father. "You mean that?"

Leone hesitantly reached out for her hand. "Terrena has already been through so much. You both have." He held her hand gingerly in his own, barely allowing her to feel the warmth from his touch. "Honestly, I wish neither one of you were Duillaine. I know I should be proud, but my heart breaks for you. Had I known then what I know now . . . "

Rhaya wondered what he meant by that. Did he mean before they were sent away, or before he agreed to marry a Duillaine? "Then don't make her do it."

"You speak as though I have any real power over you girls. I am merely a spectator in your lives."

"Enough of this," Meridel interrupted and put her arm around Rhaya's shoulders, leading her away. "We will do everything we can to ensure your happiness in your marriage."

"I'm not talking about me," Rhaya argued. "I'm talking about Terrena."

"Terrena will find her own happiness, as must we all." Meridel ushered her to the door. "Really, Rhaya. I'll not have any more talk of this. I think you'd find that your sister wouldn't appreciate you speaking on her behalf. I know it comes from a good place, but Garrett was a secret she wanted to keep close to her heart, away from prying eyes. Don't make this known."

Rhaya pulled back in confusion. "You know about Garrett?"

"Yes, Solanna kept a close watch on Terrena and she told your father and I about him. He sounded like a nice boy, and I hope he does well in life. But he has nothing to offer the Duillaine, which Terrena knew from the moment she met him. Reilly does. Maybe if there wasn't a war . . . " She trailed off, but shook off the thought. "But there is a war, and sacrifices must be made. If giving up her first love is the only sacrifice Terrena has to make, she should count herself lucky. Some of us have lost far more."

Rhaya nodded, knowing her mother referred to their recent losses as well as the old ones. Nandalia's death was still fresh on everyone's mind.

"Just promise me this," Rhaya pleaded, "don't make her marry him if he's a monster."

Her father rose to his feet. "I can swear that to you. If I think he's not good enough for her, I will take matters into my own hands, I promise you."

Rhaya shivered, uncertain of his meaning but by the deadly anger coming from him, she wasn't sure she wanted him to clarify. "Thank you," she said quietly and slipped out. She leaned against the closed doors and looked up to find Raemann mirroring her stance, leaning against her doors down the hall.

"Didn't go well?" He asked when she approached.

"I don't know. These people confuse me, Dad."

Raemann pushed away from the door quickly and pointedly looked around. "Rhaya, you have to stop calling me that."

She folded her arms over her chest. "No, I don't. Zelene's right. These customs are stupid."

"Yes, well, I am beginning to think that your cousin is a bad influence on you." He opened her door and followed her inside. "What's going on?"

Rhaya laughed humorlessly. "Are you serious? What isn't going on? Everything feels so wrong here."

"Are you sure it isn't just your gift getting to you?"

"What do you mean?"

He sat down on the chaise by the window and patted the seat next to him. He waited for her to sit down before turning to her, concerned. "I've noticed that your moods are very quick to change since you got here. Are you having a hard time filtering out what others are feeling?"

Rhaya gave this some thought. It was true. She felt sad when she was around Terrena, and angry when she was around Zelene or the Duillaine. The Duillaine were always on edge about something, which left her feeling the same way and feeling very suspicious of them. "I guess I might be. It's hard to tell sometimes. Part of me agrees with Zelene that the Duillaine don't do much of anything. Especially about Ariana."

"But it isn't like you to see the worst in people," he pointed out. "Even with your ability to read people, you always choose to see the good in them, even when seeing them at their worst. That always made me so proud."

"I still want to. It's just so much harder here. And maybe I'm a little angry too. That they gave us up, even if they had their reasons. They aren't making it easy on us now."

"Nothing worthwhile is ever easy."

She smiled at one of his usual sayings and rested her head on his shoulder. "I know. I'll try to keep that in mind when you tell me not to call you Dad." She paused, her thoughts drifting back to Ariana. "Dad? Do you think Ariana will be okay?"

Raemann didn't answer at first. "I think that there isn't a force in this world that will keep Varrick from going after her once he finds out where she is."

Rhaya nodded, feeling comforted and worried by this at the same time. If it was up to the Duillaine to find Ariana, did that mean Varrick would never get his chance to rescue her? The more parties and marriages the Duillaine planned, the more Rhaya worried that Ariana wasn't the priority she should be. The more she worried that maybe Zelene was right.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.6K 2.7K 48
To overthrow the cruel King who brutally slaughtered her foremothers, the last surviving water witch Elara Consuli must team up with novice warrior J...
18K 722 13
A sellsword with a haunting past that follows her every day. Only a handful of people know about it. Every day, her life hangs in a thread. Can she h...
5.8K 508 38
BOOK 2 of The Unknown Alchemist After killing the son of an alpha prime Avery flees to prevent war from breaking out between the territories. She set...
160 50 15
Alexia always wished to be as powerful as her sisters. When she is gifted with Sight and a prophecy that puts the fate of the world in her hands, sh...