Ruby Unjinxable [Discontinued]

By secret_ninja

Little Ruby Summers comes from a background of abuse and sadness, until she escapes one snowy evening and is... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Just an Idea
Police.
wands
ftsegythfuy

Ruby Unjinxable

6.7K 116 24
By secret_ninja

Before you get attached, this story is discontinued. Sort of at a cliffhanger...sorry. The protagonist does pop up in my other series, but that's a whole different ballgame. Ily.

It is common myth among most witches and wizards that there is, in existence, a person who can withstand even the most brutal of curses. Many stories and fairytales were written about this person. Though no one could ever report to have witnessed their existence. This person was branded ‘unjinxable’.

___

Ruby Summers stumbled down the street clutching her aching, bleeding side. Snow billowed around her, messing her hair about. She shivered in the harsh winter air as the cold threatened to be too much.

Ruby was very skinny; very small for ten years old and very close to falling over. Whether it was the chill of the air around her, the lack of clothing that she wore, or the wound in her side that caused Ruby to shudder was unknown. She held her hands over the cut in her side and applied a firm pressure, as warm scarlet blood seeped from beneath them.

The wind suddenly changed direction and hit the small girl headlong. The harsh, icy breeze stung her face, and seemed to be pushing her further back with every step she took. Accepting her fate, Ruby collapsed onto the cold pavement. Shivering and shuddering, Ruby drew her last breath.

Not a moment too late, a woman appeared in front of her. The Woman’s dark hair flew out of its tight bun in the harsh winds. She made for her front gate, but something, someone rather, was lying in the snow. Upon closer appearance, it was a child, a girl. She could hardly be seven. The girl was going to die if she left her there.

The woman peered down the laneway and saw it was abandoned, so gathering Ruby up in her arms, she made for her house.

______

Ruby awoke to frosted sunlight streaming through the curtains. She had no idea where she was or how she had gotten there. Something about the room reminded her of her house; the place she was running from; the place she would never return. Ruby tried to move; to feel her limbs, but everything seemed numb. Ruby tried to see if she was wounded, or if it had been a dream, but she could not move at all.

Ruby was startled as the door opened. A woman whom she had never seen before entered. Ruby tried to scream, but everything failed her.

“Are you alright?” The Woman asked worriedly. Ruby looked at the woman, a peculiar expression on her face. Out of all the things she knew, Ruby did not understand kindness. “What is your name?” Ruby could not, or would not answer. “My name is Minerva McGonagall.” The woman said kindly. Ruby just stared at her, fearful. “It’s okay, I won’t hurt you.”

“I’m Ruby.” The child whispered and Ms. McGonagall sat down on the side of her bed.

“That’s a very pretty name.” Ms. McGonagall said kindly.

“So is yours.” Ruby said, and Ms. McGonagall smiled.

“I’ve cleaned up your cut.” She told Ruby. “Come with me.”

Ruby looked up at the woman. She had kind sparkling eyes.

“Okay,” Ruby said softly. She reached out a small shaking hand; Minerva McGonagall took it in hers.

“Let’s get something to eat.” she said pulling the child to her feet. Ruby felt a searing pain in her side, from where she had been injured the night before. “Are you okay?”

“I’ve had worse.” Ruby muttered, much too softly for Minerva McGonagall to hear.

They wandered into the kitchen and Ruby climbed onto a chair. McGonagall placed a bowl of porridge in front of her.

Ruby let out a small gasp of surprise and stared at the bowl. She had never eaten a meal like this before. She would eat food scraps; there was never much left.

“Eat.” Minerva McGonagall ordered, slightly bemused. Ruby flinched at her voice but knew better than to disobey. She slowly picked up the spoon and shovelled some porridge into her mouth.

It was amazing. Ruby had never eaten something so wonderful before in her life. Ruby finished most of it before her stomach started churning. She threw up on the table.

“I’m sorry.” she moaned slipping off her chair and standing shaking in a spot. She’d been waiting for a belting. “I’ll clean it up.”

“It’s okay.” Minerva said kindly. She wondered what the poor girl had been through. How could one child be so afraid; so neglected; so abused?  “Look, it’s all cleaned up already.”

Ruby looked up and gasped.

“How did you do that?”

“It doesn’t matter. Let’s go give you a bath” Minerva McGonagall said softly as she noticed the filthy state of the girl.

Ruby didn’t know what a bath was, but she was curious enough to follow.

Ruby was led into a bathroom and watched as the woman filled the bath in a matter of seconds with warm, clean, bubbly water.

Minerva leant over to help remove Ruby’s clothes, but to her surprise, the child screamed and ran and tried to hide behind the toilet.

“Ruby, what’s wrong?” Minerva said in her kind voice. Ruby bravely looked the woman in the eye.

“Don’t hurt me.”

“I’m not going to hurt you. I promise.”

The woman looked sincere and genuine in Ruby’s mind. She was still afraid. What if this woman did what he does?

“Okay.” Ruby whispered. In years to come, Ruby would remember this moment, and understand how such a small word would change her life.

After taking a bath and having her hair washed, Minerva discovered that the girl had long strawberry-blonde hair, and pale, smooth skin. She was also worried about the scarring and bruising on the child.

“You should get some rest.” Minerva McGonagall said and she walked Ruby into the room she slept in the night before. She left, and Ruby caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror.

“-UGLY STUPID GIRL! HOW COULD ANYONE LOVE YOU! YOU’LL ROT IN HELL!-“

His voice bounded through Ruby’s head, and as she crawled into bed, she dug her nails into her skin, drawing blood.

“You deserve this.” His voice in her head sent shivers down her spine.

His depreciation had taken its toll on little Ruby. She hated herself because he had hated her. Anything that he said she believed was the absolute truth.

__________

Minerva walked into her room a few hours later, and found Ruby asleep on the bed, bleeding from small cuts in her arms. It was obvious that they were made by fingernails.

She whipped her wand out and silently performed the necessary healing spell. It was ineffective.

Confused, Minerva tried again.

Still ineffective.

“Ruby?” she said softly. The little girl shuddered away at the voice and looked petrified as she opened her eyes. “Did you do this to yourself?”

“Y-yes” she stuttered. Ruby hated answering questions. She felt as if she was being interrogated.

“Why?” There was something in her tone that Ruby didn’t like. She pressed herself further against the pillows.

“I’m sorry.” she said quickly. Ruby flinched as Minerva’s hand reached out to her.

“Don’t be sorry. It’s okay. I’m not going to hurt you Ruby.” The woman said earnestly. “Let’s get something else to eat now, okay? Are you alright?” Minerva added as they walked back into the kitchen.

As Ruby began to eat the salad sandwich which had been placed in front of her.

This time, Ruby decided to eat slowly to avoid vomiting.

Ruby looked up at Minerva with wide gleaming eyes.

“Thank you.” Ruby said politely

“You’re welcome Ruby.” said Minerva, smiling. “How old are you, child?”

“Ten.”

“Ruby” she said suddenly

“Yes” Ruby said quickly. She wondered if she was going to be punished for something.

“As you might know, the holidays are nearly over...” as Minerva spoke Ruby understood.

“So, you want me to leave...” Ruby said slowly. Minerva’s eyes widened.

“No!” she almost shouted, Ruby flinched and she dropped her voice. “I want – I mean – if you have nowhere else to go – you could come with me.” she watched as Ruby’s expression changed from sadness to something unreadable. “Of course. Sorry. I’m being silly. You want to go home don’t you?”

“No!” Ruby burst out loudly. It was the loudest she had spoken the whole time she had been there. “Please...I can’t...He’s there...” she whispered

“So you want to come with me?” Minerva asked softly

“I’d love to.”

Ruby didn’t exactly want to go to with Minerva, but she knew that anything had to be better than going back to that place... Where he was.

______________________

Ruby was sitting on the floor next to the lounge. She didn’t feel as though she deserved the comfort it offered. Minerva had finally given up on trying to make her. Minerva had bought Ruby some new clothes and a few other trinkets that she couldn’t resist. She was beginning to love the idea of having a child. She’d always spoken about having Children with Dougal...And then again spoken about the longing of a child with her dear Elphinstone; despite this, she’d never had a child of her own.

Meanwhile, Ruby Summers was deep in thought as she twiddled her thumbs and gazed out the window.

‘No one loved Ruby. After all, how could they? How could someone love her when she doesn’t even love herself?’

Ruby watched as the snow billowed around outside; it was odd considering it was late April.

“Ruby, I have something to tell you” Minerva said slowly. The little girl turned her head. “The place I work...It’s a place for special people” Ruby looked at the woman curiously. “It’s a school for witches Ruby. You and I are both witches.” Minerva smiled down at Ruby who looked honestly baffled.

“I-gotta-go” Ruby said quickly. She stood up and crossed the room. She walked briskly to the front door but Minerva stood in her way. Ruby thought the look on the woman’s face was scary. Ruby only had one thought; she was going to be beaten.

She slumped down onto the floor in terror. Ruby thought she was safe here; she thought that maybe she could stay here; all of her dreams had come crushing down. Ruby simply sat on the floor and couldn’t even cry. She felt as though she was beyond tears, she kept her face in her hands.

Minerva sat down beside her, making Ruby flinch.

“I wasn’t going to hurt you.” Minerva said softly as Ruby bit down on her tongue to stop crying. “Here, look at this” she said pulling out her wand.

Ruby continued to dry sob, but peeked through her fingers all the same.

“Expecto patronum.” Minerva muttered, causing a silvery tabby cat to run around the room happily.

Ruby made a loud noise halfway between a gasp and a hiccup. Minerva smiled at her astonishment.

“You mean I can do that.” Ruby said in a whisper

“One day...” Ruby’s eyes lit up “I’m sorry for scaring you” Minerva told her.

“I’m sorry for not believing you.” Ruby said softly. She thought a moment before leaning over and hugging Minerva. Minerva was taken by surprise, but she hugged Ruby back. It was truly a beautiful sight.

In her ten years, Ruby had never had a hug.

Sometimes, something as simple as a hug is all someone needs.

_______________

Travelling to Hogwarts was nothing how Ruby imagined. To be honest, she did think they would be using flying carpets. They did however, apparate.

Clutching tightly onto Minerva’s arm, Ruby felt as though she was being squeezed into a tube and was finally forced out the other end.

Upon reaching the other side, Ruby fell onto the floor. Minerva worriedly helped her up.

Minerva McGonagall showed Ruby around the five rooms. There was a short hallway with six doors coming off of it. There was Ruby’s room, Minerva’s room, a bathroom, a lounge room and a small kitchen. The sixth door led out into the rest of the school.

“Come on Ruby, there is someone who wants to meet you.” Minerva said as Ruby looked around her room in awe.

“We were just one place. And now we’re in another.” Ruby said more to herself. Minerva laughed as she stared around the room.

The pair headed down the corridors of the school. Ruby was dragged along slightly because she kept stopping to look at things. The only time she sped up was when she saw some other people staring at her.

They arrived outside an ugly stone gargoyle.

“Sugarplums.” Minerva said clearly. For a moment Ruby thought Minerva was speaking to her, but realised that she wasn’t when the huge gargoyle jumped out of the way. Ruby gasped as a moving staircase was revealed.

The pair stepped on it and arrived outside a large oak door. As Minerva rose a hand to knock a voice sounded from the other side of the door.

“Enter.”

They walked in the door and Ruby was overwhelmed by amazing things; the moving portraits on the walls; the randomly placed furniture; an elegant and beautiful bird; and most importantly, the blue eyed, white bearded man that peered down at her over his half moon spectacles.

Ruby let out a small eek which made both adults laugh weakly.

“I am Professor Dumbledore, the headmaster for this school.” said the man. Ruby just looked at him and then to Minerva, as though for approval. Minerva nodded sweetly at her.

“I’m Ruby Summers, I’m not the headmaster of this school.” She said in one breath. She looked back at Minerva, who was now suppressing laughter.

“She’s ten.” She told the headmaster.

Albus Dumbledore watched the two converse as Minerva bent down to say something to the child.

He was wondering if he should send Ruby home to her parents.

What place does a ten-year-old have at Hogwarts? Surely she could wait another year! He thought. But then again.. he watched as Minerva spoke to the girl kindly, and saw Ruby smile at her. Minerva’s always wanted a child. She’s been rather cold towards all children since Elpinstone’s death... he gazed once more upon the pair. This is Hogwarts the place dreams can come true.

“And you can stay here.” Albus said firmly.

The small emeralds that were Ruby’s eyes looked up and met his crystal blue ones. For the first time in her life, Ruby laughed, and boy did she laugh.

“I can stay!” she said, softly tugging Minerva’s sleeve, as though she hadn’t heard.

Minerva looked the happiest Albus had ever seen her. She thanked Albus and he brushed it off as nothing.

“When is your birthday?” Albus asked Ruby changing the topic. Ruby thought hard.

“May...Twenty Sixth.” she said after some time.

“A few weeks.” Albus said. Ruby nodded as another warm smile took over her face.

“Well, I think we should go celebrate.” Minerva smiled happily.

Ruby couldn’t do anything but smile as she was pulled out of the headmaster’s office.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

103K 1K 13
a/n: y/n xiao long was adopted by taiyang and summer when ruby was 4 yang was 7. when y/n was adopted he thought that his life was gonna be better. b...
9 2 1
After Minerva McGonagall left him, Dougal McGregor spent 40 years thinking he hadn't been good enough for her. To everyone else it appeared she had b...
231K 1.7K 16
(Y/N) is a student at Beacon but he isn't human nor a Faunus instead he is a half demon. He wasn't treated nicely by team RWBY except for Ruby, team...
4.6K 98 26
In This Story, We Find A Little (Y/N), In His Adoptive 'Father's House, Weeping From The Pain Again. That Was The Usual For Him, His Dad, Sisters And...