Descendants of The Sun: The S...

By ApplePie0097

The love story between a soldier and a doctor reaches new heights, as their bond strenghtens to a point where... More

Prologue
Chapter One-Part One
Chapter One-Part Two
Chapter One-Part Three
Chapter One-Part Four
Chapter Two-Part One
Chapter Two-Part Two
Chapter Two-Part Three
Chapter Two-Part Four
Chapter Two-Part Five
Chapter Three-Part One
Chapter Three-Part Two
Chapter Three-Part Three
Chapter Three-Part Four
Chapter Three-Part Five
Chapter Three-Part Six
Chapter Four-Part One
Chapter Four-Part Two
Chapter Four-Part Three
Chapter Four-Part Four
Chapter Five-Part One
Chapter Five-Part Three
Chapter Five-Part Four
Chapter Six-Part One
Chapter Six-Part Two
Chapter Six-Part Three
Chapter Six-Part Four
Chapter Seven-Part One
Chapter Seven-Part Two
Chapter Seven-Part Three
Chapter Seven-Part Four
Chapter Seven-Part Five
Chapter Seven-Part Six
Chapter Eight-Part One
Chapter Eight-Part Two
Chapter Eight-Part Three
Chapter Eight-Part Four
Chapter Eight-Part Five
Chapter Nine-Part One
Chapter Nine-Part Two
Chapter Nine-Part Three
Chapter Nine-Part Four
Chapter Nine-Part Five
Chapter Ten-Part One
Chapter Ten-Part Two
Chapter Ten-Part Three
Chapter Ten-Part Four
Chapter Ten-Part Five
Chapter Ten-Part Six
Finale
Afterword

Chapter Five-Part Two

1.8K 44 10
By ApplePie0097

"Little strokes fell great oakes."

(Seo Dae Young)

Chinese Airspace

   PLAAF Air Traffic Control: AC-130 aircraft, you are entering Chinese airspace. Squawk identity, over.

   Hercules Pilot: Air Traffic Control, this is transport, over. Republic of Korea Army, designation K-A-5-6-1-9'er. Be advised, special cargo onboard for military exercise, over.

   PLAAF Air Traffic Control: Copy, Hercules. We will secure landing platform. Be advised, Runway 6 is open. I repeat, Runway 6 is open.

   Hercules Pilot: Roger, ATC. Wilco. Over and out.

Inside Hercules Transport Aircraft
7.45 p.m. Chinese Time

   "Still thinking about her, Soryeongnim?" Dae Young muttered to the Major sitting next to him, who was rather silent duting the entire flight. Not that he had been silent for the first time, for it became some sort of a practice to maintain absolute silence when it came to special-mission flights ever since he took the helm as the team leader of Alpha Team previously. The tradition stood within Si Jin, but this time, Dae Young felt a different kind of aura of silence that was emittibg from the Major's body. Si Jin's head faced downwards, and his eyes closed.

   Upon hearing Dae Young's words, Si Jin slowly opened his eyes and lifted his head in a calculated motion. Inhaling deeply before exhaling heavily, he spoke. "Only you can see how I feel."

   Dae Young never turned to face Si Jin at all. He went on instead. "Don't think about it anymore, sir. I know she will be fine."

   Si Jin let out a sigh, letting his body rumble from the vibration of the aircraft when it hit a minor air turbulence. "That's the problem." He shook his head slightly. "She thinks she will be fine, but whenever she thinks that way, something bad will happen." Finally, he stared at Dae Young who was still looking down at the floor of the plane. "She's a magnet for trouble when she sticks with me. I feel bad about it." He expressed guiltily.

   Silence fell almost instantly as Si Jin looked down again, feeling the urge to close his eyes. When he did, a few seconds later, Dae Young spoke out. "It's unavoidable, sir. Little strokes fell great oaks."

   Si Jin glanced at his comrade for the second time, but no words came out from his mouth. He simply do not know what to say anymore. He was at a lost for words. With the silence filling the atmosphere inside the plane's belly, and only the rumbling sound of the plane's engines and random vibrations doing the talking, Si Jin decided not to talk anymore. Everyone in the plane was trying to shut their eyes for a few moments of rest, including Myeong Joo who was sitting at the very left corner at the opposite direction adjacent to the door of the plane's cockpit.

   Maybe Dae Young was right after all. He loved her, and certainly along the way in the process of stemming their relationship, bad things are bound to happen. His job is dangerous, and to bring someone into his life invites danger to her life as well. Still, their love conquered all, and Si Jin really wished that their love could still work this time even though they are far away from each other.

*****

People's Liberation Army Air Force Base
Manchuria, China

   The plane landed on the runway of the Chinese airbase, indicating the arrival of the Korean team on Chinese soil. Moments later, the plane was parked at one of the large hangars of the base.

   The plane's cargo door opened, the Korean military men stepped out of it. Told prior to their flight hours ago, a special envoy will greet them upon their arrival. Certainly they did not expect to see a row of Chinese Honour Guards welcoming them–bodies all erect in steadfast motion and in all salutes. Feeling rather awkward by the 'special' welcome, the men and women began walking past the guards.

   For a civilian, passing by an honour guard held special meaning to one's life. One will feel great and proud to be able to stand with the warriors of the nation, all trained and ready for whatever that affects the safety of the nation and its people. However, that very night, the soldiers from both sides don't feel that way. As the Korean team passed by the guards, they could feel the ever-dangerous spike of tension running through their veins. The eyes of the Chinese soldiers were stiff to the naked eye, but to men like Si Jin, it was a sign that they were prepared for anything. Right now, at this very moment, they all might get killed if something funny happens.

   He had that experience previously. That's why before they took off, Si Jin had precariously reminded them not to stare at their eyes.

   Fortunately, nothing funny happened, and the men passed the guards safely and honourably. At the end of the line, a few vehicles were parked at a distance with some men standing near it. Si Jin and Dae Young were quick to recognise the two soldiers in their uniforms and standing at ease, despite the darkness of the night and the dim lights of the airbase.

   "See that familiar face?" Si Jin pointed over to the two men.

   Dae Young let out a small grin. "Yeah. Hong Guan and Hong Jun. The two brothers."

   "Who's that?" Myeong Joo questioned from behind the two men upon seeing them staring at the Chinese soldiers in a weird fashion.

   Dae Young glanced at Myeong Joo. "Those two–are someone we know." He replied with simplicity.

   The two Chinese soldiers, from Si Jin's point of view, stared at each other before walking with great strides towards the Major and the Lieutenants. As if making a grand entrance, the dim light lit their faces as they approached ever closer to the officers, revealing their faces. Alas, they stopped right in front of them, smirks on their faces half-shown because of the direction they were standing that was against the light. "Welcome, Soryeong Yoo Si Jin, to China." The eldest brother, Hong Guan, welcomed them in fluent Hangul.

   Si Jin let out a smirk upon seeing his old comrade. "Good to see you, Dàwèi Hong Guan."

   "Great to see you too–comrade." Hong Guan replied back with a slight twitch of his lips to the right, before widening his arms for a brotherly embrace. Si Jin delightfully accepted embrace, hugging the Captain back. "It's been a long time, comrade." Hong Guan spoke, tapping Si Jin's back with a slight chuckle.

   The four men exchanged hugs and greetings, embracing each other as if there were no flags at all. Then, when it came to Myeong Joo, the youngest brother suddenly felt awkward. "I don't think I have seen you before, lady." Hong Jun spoke with a shy tone.

   "Jungwi Yoon Myeong Joo. Nice to meet you." Myeong Joo introduced herself.

*****

People's Liberation Army Ground Force Base Camp
   The Korean team arrived at the camp that will serve as the venue for the military exercise. Dropping off from their vehicles, the Koreans were welcomed by nothing but an empty yet large courtyard. Street lights illuminate the base, but likewise, there were only a few soldiers walking around. In short, the base was eeriely quiet despite the fact that roomlights were still on.

   Despite all of that, the Koreans were shown their place of stay–two rooms where each can fit eight person in it, and another room which served as their command table. It was learnt that the other teams had the same allocation as well. The only fact was that the other teams were scattered all around the base, probably as a safety measure or a psychological training to see how the other teams react when they see each other in the field.

   "Why is it so quiet here?" Myeong Joo asked as she unloaded her bag on the lower bed bunk. "This place is way quieter than home."

   "That's because they sleep early." Dae Young replied, his arms crossed. "The Chinese make it a habit. That's the reason why they are so disciplined. In fact, way more disciplined than us." He explained further, putting his bag on top of the bunk.

   "Alright, everyone! Start unpacking, and rest for the night! In two days time, we begin our exercise!" The Major spoke his orders to the fellow men and women of his team.

   "Ye, Soryeongnim!" The team replied in unison.

   Si Jin nodded his head satisfactorily. Then, with his hands on his hips, he glanced at Dae Young. "Seo Jungwi, meet me in the room at five." Right after that, Si Jin left the room, without even waiting for the lieutenant's reply at all, disappearing after the grey door.

   Myeong Joo was the first to see Dae Young's change of expression. He went very serious all of the sudden. While the others were busy unpacking their belongings, they were not alarmed by Dae Young's behavioural change. He became quick, but he did not unpack his stuff completely. Instead, he took his beret and instantly left to see the Major. Myeong Joo's curiosity heightened when she saw him carrying what appeared to be a thunbdrive in his left hand. "Jogi–" She tried calling him, but the lieutenant left the room in a haste that he disappeared within seconds.

   Strange. What is he doing?

   She felt the urge to follow him, but when the thought that Dae Young might have some things to discuss with the Major regarding the exercise, Myeong Joo decided against her will. She knew well enough not to interfere in certain affairs of the military, especially certain discussions that only the selected few can hear. Eavesdropping is considered as a part of espionage, and the penalty was something no ordinary person can bear. Although in the same side, being with Dae Young for the longest time as she could remember reminded her that some secrets were best left untold. This was no exception. Whatever Dae Young and Si Jin might have in their heads right now would be best left alone by her.

   Dragging her mind out of that curiosity, she busied herself by gathering her medical team and had some discussions with them.

*****

Uruk Capital Hospital
   It was early morning in Uruk and the sun was already up, illuminating the ground with its orange rays and eliminating the darkness of the night. It was a brand new day for the Korean medical team, as they woke up to their first day of their mission in Uruk.

   However, before everyone can begin working, the medical team was 'treated' with an awesome, eye-opening show–a show in which the ladies loved and the men loathed. For ladies like Mo Yeon, Ja Ae and Min Ji, the show was a perfect reminiscence of their greatest days in Uruk previously.

   There was no perfect way for ladies to wake up for except for the men with their sexy abs, jogging in formation during their routine morning exercise. The flatness of the land around them only served to make the view more fascinating to watch, and it was way better than the sloppy tracks of the Taebaek camp. It allowed the ladies to watch those soldiers doing their morning jog as if they were at home watching television.

   Ah, now this is a trip!

   The soldiers jogged past the tent in front of them, singing propagandic tunes and cheering to elevate their spirits. For a few months since their deployment, they had had relatively peaceful exercise runs. However, this time, the irritating screams of the lady doctors slowed the soldiers' tempo.

   "I never thought I will get to see this again." Ja Ae spoke mesmerisingly, her face grinning widely at the wonderful sight in front of her. "The doves of Uruk are here...."

   "I would rather stay here for the rest of my life." Min Ji expressed softly, holding the towel around her neck.

   "So many Yoo Si Jins here." Mo Yeon muttered.

   Yoon Mi appeared out of the tent moments later, yawning and stretching herself out in a dazed state. She blinked her eyes repeatedly when the rays hit her eyes until her eyes adjusted itself to the environment around her. Intending to wash herself up, she made her way to the adjacent tent when at that moment, she heard some strange voices of what sounded like men cheering at something.Curious at what was happening, she approached the direction of the sound.

   The moment she saw the men half naked, her eyes got wider all of the sudden. With the sudden mix of emotions beginning to boil inside her for no reason, she found herself joining her seniors, standing beside Mo Yeon as they watched the exercise together with awe. "What is this?" She inquired. "Why with all the naked men?"

   Mo Yeon glanced at her intern and rubbed Yoon Mi's hair with a playful grin. "It's not for you babies to know." She teased before walking away, apparently satisfied with what she had seen, thus leaving Yoon Mi in a dazed state.

*****

Village outside Palion
   Mo Yeon: I need to check that village, the one outside the capital.

   Lieutenant Baek: Not possible. We received reports of conspicuous–

   Mo Yeon: I don't care about that. I just need you to protect me, that's all.

   The three humvees reached the village that they had past by yesterday on the way to the capital. Mo Yeon, Dr Song and Yoon Mi saw that the village was still in its ruined state as they unloaded from the vehicles, masks and gloves in hand. Per orders from Lieutenant Baek, the medical team was allowed to only study the bodies, so that they don't interfere with the cleaning-up work the other UN men were doing. As the lieutenant was needed elsewhere, the Sergeant Major was the person in charge of the team's safety.

   The medical team approached a large blue tent that was guarded by two soldiers in white hazmat suits, escorted by the Sergeant Major. When the team was permitted to enter, they were surprised upon entering the tent to see Dr Athena and an unknown male in his mid-thirties studying a dead body on a surgical table. Dr Athena took off her surgical mask and smiled upon seeing them. "Ah, looks like you know where to start." She spoke in English. "Come on, let's do it together."

   "When did you get here, doctor?" The Sergeant Major inquired with puzzled eyes. He too was surprised to see her here. "I thought you are in the hospital."

   "I came her not long ago. Probably twenty minutes ago. Oh, before I forget..." She tapped the man's shoulder, and then whispered something to the man's ear. From Mo Yeon's point of view, Dr Athena and that man in a khaki jacket worn over his white shirt and black slim-fit jeans coupled with black leather boots were somewhat close. The man was wearing glasses. "This is Dr Michaels, from WHO. He's a virologist. Just arrived from Wales." She introduced the man as he turned around, took off his mask as well and smiled.

   "Hi, guys." Dr Michaels expressed. "Glad to see you all." He stared at the Asian-looking lady doctor. "You must be Dr Kang, I assume." He pulled out his surgical glove and reached out his right hand for a handshake. "Nice to meet you."

   Dr Kang smiled politely and returned the gesture. "Nice to meet you too, Dr Michaels."

   "I must say, that you are beautiful, doctor. Never seen one like you." Dr Michaels complimented, causing her to blush.

   "So, shall we get on with it?" Dr Athena suggested, probably eager to work with the team.

   "Sure." Mo Yeon replied. As the team prepared themselves, Mo Yeon approached the table. "What do we have?"

   "Forty six year-old man who resided here. He had yellow-coloured skin, blue-black marks on his nails, and probably a mild case of conjunctivitis. Blood flowed out of his nose and ears, suggesting a blown capillary or vein or artery. Very malnourished, as if not eaten for years." Dr Michaels reported, his hands on the table and his body bent forward.

   "Those were symptoms of the virus at the later stage." Dr Song concluded. "Did you collect the blood sample of this man?" He inquired as Mo Yeon and Yoon Mi looked on.

   "We've collected it. Testing it right now." Dr Michaels replied. "I'll take you there." He guided the three doctors to an adjacent tent, thus leaving Dr Athena and Sergeant Major Han Yeol alone.

   Han Yeol stared at the doctor as the two of them locked eyes. However, it was not just an ordinary stare, it was a stare that told a thousand words, and the words were best kept secret. Han Yeol approached the doctor in slow, calculated steps, his eyes never left hers. "How about now?" Han Yeol spoke in a stern voice under the cover of his mask, his eyes serious.

   Dr Athena let out a sigh, before turning her head to the left. "I haven't got anything yet. We're still finding the source of it." She muttered, eyes darting back to the body. "I'm sorry."

   Han Yeol raised his head to the fluorescent lights above, exhaling in defeat. He faced down seconds later, eyes focusing on the body. "Then, we'll never move on from here. The operation's a bust." Han Yeol spoke softly as he stepped closer towards the table. "We need that information, Dr Athena. It will be of great help, not only to the people, but to the world as well. It's time to think of the consequences, Dr Athena. Don't wait until we make a move." He spoke in what seemed a like an advise, but to Dr Athena, she knew that those words were a mere threat to expose something she found it hard to reveal. Han Yeol, having said what he wanted to say, turned around to leave, but not without giving another piece of advise. "Oh, before I forget, the lieutenant wants her safe, no matrer what. As a man of my word, I do what I must." He turned his head around towards Dr Athena once again. "If anything happens to her and her crew, you should know–that we will find you for it. I hope you keep that in mind."

   With that, Han Yeol turned around, and finally left the tent, leaving Dr Athena brooding. Fingers slowly balled into a fist, she tried very hard not to blow her top as she closed her eyes, brows knitted in a scowl with both of her hands gripping the handle of the table. She drooped her head in defeat.

   At that moment, Dr Athena realised, that the truth will be spilled in no time. There's almost no way of hiding right now. She needed to do something–before something bad broke out and spiral out of control. As long as she still had the power in her hands, she better move quickly to prevent a possible bloodbath.

   *****

   At the adjacent tent, Dr Michaels and the medical team scanned the report of the virus. From the report, Mo Yeon knew that this wasn't good news. It seemed that the virus strain had its genes altered into something new. From the body, she analysed that the virus caused the same symptoms as the earlier one, but its lethality had somewhat increased two-fold. The altered genetic code suggested that the virus had the ability to copy and match other genetic codes from vaccines into their own, thus eliminating imperfect codes for better ones.

   Explaining that fact to Dr Michaels, who seemed to agree with her point,  Mo Yeon urged Dr Michaels to warn the WHO immediately. However, Dr Michaels's reply made her very upset.

   "Even if I do, it wil be treated as an isolated case." He replied with a defeated sigh. "The Association already had their hands full. First, the Ebola. Then, MERS. Next one, Zika. WHO is under pressure, Dr Kang. They can't take anymore outbreaks." He explained, glancing at the three doctors with defeated eyes.

   "Then, what about the people here?" Mo Yeon questioned with a stern voice, an indication that clearly showed that she was deeply displeased with his answer. "Are you going to let them die without a cure?"

   "That's right." Yoon Mi supported. "We took the oath."

   Dr Michaels simply stayed silent, not knowing what to say. Not that he was reluctant to do so, but it was true that the WHO was at its lowest momentum. Viral outbreaks around the world had increased over the past few years at a dangerous rate, pushing the association to its limits. Research and development of new vaccines were slow and costly, in which when it was done, the death rate might have increased. Poor nations had to depend on the WHO for medical expertise and control, and that was constraining the association as well.

   "If that is so, then I will not stop until I find the cure, Dr Michaels. I will go to the WHO myself and report to them, if I needed to." Mo Yeon avowed. "I can't let this people die without a second chance, doctor. They had suffered enough from the war. Now, the virus is striking them hard. Why can't we do something so that the people here can live in peace again?"

   "It's easier said than done, Dr Kang."

   "So? Does that stop you from trying?" Mo Yeon crossed her arms. ""Our mission, is to give these people hope, not fear. Please do something, Dr Michaels. Urge them to act quick." Mo Yeon pressed, her tone softer now. In fact, it was more of a beg than anger.

   Dr Michaels let out a sigh upon hearing her words. She was right after all, but he feared that the results would be the same. Still, there was really no harm in trying. If he did manage to convince them, then, just like what Dr Kang said, the people here will have hope again to live in the land they called home, free from war and disease. It would be one of the noblest acts he had ever done in his life if he did so. He finally made up his mind, but he still wasn't confident with the outcome. "Okay then, but I can't guarantee answers." He spoke, his voice suddenly filled with the sense of great conviction.

   "That's more than enough." Mo yeon replied. "Better this than none."

*****

Manchuria, China
Two days later

Day 1 Combat Scenario
   Major Yoo: White Tigers, listen up! One of our forward recon elements has gone missing. Last radio contact indicates that the recon element is currently holding out at an abandoned village. Our mission is to rescue our men from incoming hostile forces.

   The three Black Hawks chuffed in the air in full speed towards the target village, carrying the 707th on board. The men waited with bated breath as they approached the target area, which will soon be overwhelmed by hostile forces if they were not quick enough. Every men had their weapons locked and loaded, gripping the handle of their guns like their life depended on it. Yeung Joon, in particular, was experiencing the adrenaline pumping in his veins. For once, he stared at his assault rifle–the locally-made Daewoo K1 assault rifle specifically modified for Special Forces use. The silver-coloured rifle shone under the morning sun, its rays reflected to his eyes, showing off its glory. He would have to depend on it the moment they land, and he technically didn't want to mess it up and bring the team to shame.

   Silence filled the atmosphere in helicopter as none of them spoke even  word, only the sound of the whirring engines apparent. Sitting on the very left side of the helicopter seat, Yeung Joon watched as they travelled across the sandy desert that was seemingly wide and never ending. He saw no civilisation as far as he could see, but there were country roads and small lanes that lead to nowhere. There was nothing but only the brown land below and the clear blue sky above. That made him wonder how some people can find their way across the desert to the place they wanted to go, when there were no road signs or any indication of modern tarred highways built in the area they flew passed. If he were to be travelling over here, he would definitely get lost, and probably die of exposure.

   "What are you thinking of?" the familiar manly voice echoed in his headset, pulling Yeung Joon out of his reverie. Instinctively, he looked over to his right, where First lieutenant Seo Dae Young was sitting. Their eyes met.

   "Nothing." Yeung Joon replied, shrugging his mind off. "Just enjoying the view."

   Dae Young gave him a hard stare, as if not convinced by his answer. However, Dae Young had no intention of knowing what the Staff Sergeant was thinking about. It didn't matter to him anyway. The only thing in his mind was the mission they were about to undertake. He delivered an advice to Yeung Joon. "Remember, that when you are in a mission, it is best not to think of anything else. Focus on the mission. That's how you survive."

   Yeung Joon was slightly taken aback by the lieutenant's cold words, but he knew that Dae Young was right. The slightest distraction can cause serious consequences to oneself and the entire team. Yet, it was always easier said than done. He wondered whether Dae Young really had that will to maintain a silent mind. "You can do that? Clearing your mind?" Yeung Joon asked.

   Dae Young stared at him for the second time, this time with a slight twitch of his lips to the right. "It's easier said than done." He replied. "It comes slowly. Eventually, it will become a part of you."

   "All units attention, we're inbound to target in ten minutes. Get yourselves ready." The helicopter pilot reminded through the headset, interrupting the conversation. In an instant Dae Young, heard the words, he got back to business. "Alright, Alpha Team, weapons check!" He ordered.

   Alpha Team checked their gear, making sure that their equipment worked alright and in condition. Then, per tradition, each members took off their identification tags and passed it to Dae Young. Yeung Joon pulled out his, but at the last moment, became reluctant to give the tag to Dae Young for no apparent reason. He clenched the tag tightly in his fist, somewhat unwilling to let go. Something inside him told him not to do it, for he suddenly got a bad feeling about the mission. It was as if something was about to happen, and it definitely will bring harm to the team. He didn't know where the feeling came from. It just spurt out at an odd timing.

   Dae Young nudged his arm, ordering him to surrender his tag. Yeung Joon did as ordered, shrugging his mind off that feeling he assumed was just part of his nervousness playing tricks.

*****

Blue Team Camp
   While the assault team headed to the village, Si Jin and his commanding team watched the process of the operation from the cameras attached to the men's helmets. The menvwaited anxiously as the assault team approached the village, the buildings became visible in the screen.

   "One minute to target." The pilot's voice echoed in the speaker as the helicopter got slower.

   Si Jin crossed his arms, his heart beating fast. At any moment now, the enemy may arrive, and all hell will break lose. He truly hoped that he did not send the team to their 'deaths'. Whatever happens, he better get it right. If they fail, it would be an unbearable shame, and Si Jin seriously didn't want this thing to happen under his command. Seated on his chair, he never let his sights wander off to somewhere else. His eyes only focused on the screen in front of him.

   "Ten seconds." The helicopter got closer to land, dusts began spiralling from the wind produced by the helicopter's blade.

   "Five seconds."

   The ground became clearer now.

   "Four..."

   The men got ready.

   "Three..."

   "Two..."

   "One..."

   The countdown ended.

   "Go..."

   In an instant, the assault team unloaded from the helicopter in quick succession. The exercise had begun.

*****

Target Village
   Dae Young as the overall leader of the assault team led the squad towards a five-storey building, the building where the command last received the recon team's last transmission. The helicopters moved away from the open park as they returned to base, leaving the squad completely on their own.

   The journey to the building was smooth with no particular resistance hitting their way. Proceeding towards the building in caution, they eventually reached the front gate. Dae Young deployed two sniper teams–two-men team from Alpha and Charlie, to provide an eagle's eye over the horizon using the buildings over their flanks as vantage points. He split the squad into three groups–Charlie team securing the perimeter, while Alpha and Bravo began their search from both ends of the building.

   Charlie team got into position as Alpha and Bravo made their move. Both teams entered the building and began securing the floors. The first floor was generally clear, only obstacles like old cupboards, refrigerators and tables coming their way. Shattered glasses poured on the floor and dust particles floated in the air, making the floor entirely stuffy. Along with all of that were bullet holes and red paint to mock the blood.

   The teams got up to the second floor and began searching. For all they know, the recon team might be dead, but until they could confirm by finding the bodies, they couldn't speculate for sure. Dead or alive, the recon team must be recovered.

   The men checked each room from the living room to the kitchen all the way to the smallest of spaces in which a body could fit, but found no living soul. With the second floor cleared finally but with upsetting progress, the team continued their way up to the third floor.

   It was only when they reached the third floor when all of the sudden, their radio began acting weirdly. The crackle of static frequency became more and more apparent as they moved further, and Dae Young was immensely concerned when he tried contacting Charlie team but all he received on the other line was just static. To make matters worse, Bravo's radio was dark as well. That's when Dae Young realised that they had just entered a trap. "Damn it! Fall back now!"

   However, they were too late, as the moment they backtracked, they heard shots being fired at the men outside, and the rumble of vehicles.

   Alpha Team and Bravo Team exited the building eventually, but they found themselves under attack from all sides. OPFOR teams began closing in on their position, and the overwhelming numbers were too much for the 707th to handle. As the unit held out, Dae Young desperately tried to contact for help, bit it was utterly useless for the radio was totally unusable. Soon, the one-sided fight was over when all of the Korean unit, including Dae Young, were painted with red simulation bullets, thus signifying their 'death'. Furious and filled with rage, Dae Young took off his helmet and tossed it to the ground hard, rubbed his hair hard before taking out the comms gear and stared up to the sky.

   The simulation over, the dejected Korean team gathered around their leader as the opposition force approached in a friendly stance. The opposition force was the legendary Spetsnaz brigade, Russia's professional special forces unit. And Dae Young knew the person in charge of the unit as the man walked towards Dae Young with a slight smirk on his face, rifle held freely on his right hand.

   "Sorry, comrade. Looks like you lost badly. The Russian spoke in English, patting Dae Young's shoulder in a manly way, somewhat provoking type.

   "It's just your lucky day, Yuri. We'll see about it later." Dae Young replied.

   "Anyway, hope you remember our old deal–losers pay the drinks." Yuri chuckled before finally walking away, joining his teammates. Dae Young watched as the Spetsnaz men walked away from the scene, leaving the defeated team to ponder about what went wrong.

   Yeung Joon noticed the closeness of the lieutenant and the Russian, and he wondered about their relationship. "Who's Yuri?" He asked in a whisper to Woon Geun.

   "Yuri's a Captain of the Spetsnaz's Alpha Brigade. He's one of the best. We worked with him once some time ago." Sergeant First Class Choi Woon Geun replied flatly.

   Eventually, the radio worked. The dejected Dae Young called in for extraction, expecting a lot of explanation when they returned to base. They were like fools back there, allowing their radios to be jammed by the opponent and lost the advantage.

   Definitely there was more to work on if they were to survive this exercise. The opponents were indeed well-prepared for a good fight. To keep up, the team will have to work twice as hard to outsmart their opponent. For now, it would be better to just sit back, and look back at their mistakes that caused them their first day.

*****

   The Korean team returned to their rooms in a gloomy mood that night. This was definitely not their day. Myeong Joo was practically concerned about the two men she knew really well, but she was more worried about Dae Young, who spoke no word ever since he returned from the exercise. All the men were very gloomy from their humiliating defeat.

   Dae Young removed his weapons belt and his kevlar, and then without saying a single word, he stormed out of the room just like that, leaving the men in the room wondering. For Woon Geun, for all this time he knew Dae Young, he had never seen Dae Young this upset before. Even though they were humiliatingly defeated, this was just an exercise. Myeong Joo instinctively followed him, just to see whether he was alright.

   Just as she was about to turn from the door, she stumbled upon Si Jin, surprising her to the core. "Ah, kkamjjakiya!" She spoke aloud with her surprised expression. "Yah, do you have to be so silent?"

   "Whatever. Is Dae Young in there?" Si Jin went straight to the point.

   Myeong Joo gave him a weird look, wondering how Si Jin did not see Dae Young leave. "Dae Young? He went out moments ago. I was about to look for him. He didn't come to you?"

   "Aniyo. He did not. I'm looking for him too." Si Jin replied.

   Now Myeong Joo was getting a little but too worried. Where in the world Dae Young go? He never really knew this base anyway. Placing her hands on her hips, she sighed, looking sideways.

   If he didn't go that way towards Si Jin's room, then he must have walked the other way, and the other way was technically off-limits. He wouldn't possibly go there without getting reprimanded by the Chinese soldiers. However, like the 707th motto, what's impossible, they make it possible. Facing the other way, she sighed andd looked at Si Jin, who might have the same thoughts as her. "I think we both know where he went." She pointed her head to that direction. "I'll go and find him. You stay here." She told as she began walking to the other side.

   "Hold on, do you really think that you can go there alone? Even I am forbidden at that area." Si Jin interjected.

   Myeong Joo turned her head around towards Si Jin, showing off her adamant expression. "I don't care about that. When it comes to Dae Young, nothing stops me from going to him. Wish me luck." She turned her head and began moving, without bothering about Si Jin's words.

*****

   Dae Young managed to evade detection and proceeded his way up to the roof of the base, sitting in the edge of the wall that separated the floor of the roof behind him and the ground four storeys below. His feet dangling freely, he watched the dark sky above him.

   The sky in China looked totally different than it was in Korea. Over here, there were no stars, only the dark portrait of the night–mysterious and secretive. In Korea, in his thoughts that were somewhat and of course biased but honest, the sky was filed with stars, and pretty mesmerising. The stars told a million of stories, not like the dark sky of China. Somehow, the sky suited his mood today–dark and gloomy.

   As he stared wonderingly at the sky above him, his military senses detected footsteps approaching him from behind in the sound formed from heavily-studded boots. He instantly looked behind him, his senses alert at the thought that the Chinese had found him. Instead, what he saw was the familiar face of Myeong Joo approaching him with a concerned expression.

   Seeing her somehow made his heart heavy. He turned away, not wanting to look at her for no particular reason.

   "Gwaenchana, Seo Jungwi?" Myeong Joo spoke as she took a seat on the edge beside him. "You seemed upset." She glanced at his unmoving face.

   "I....just don't...feel like talking." Dae Young muttered as he looked up to the sky again.

   Myeong Joo absorbed the words slowly. That didn't affect her though. She followed his stare by looking up to the sky, but what she saw in her eyes was just the dark canvas covering the sky. "The sky here is dull, don't you think?"

   "What can be darker than the sky?" Dae Young spoke in a strange way. "Us..or the heavens above?" He looked down eventually, his eyes fixed on two guards walking below. "I messed up today, Myeong Joo-ah." He paused as he turned his head to face Myeong Joo who was already staring at him. "I 'killed' my own team by leading them into a trap." He looked away, rubbing his hair.

   Myeong Joo only looked at him sympathetically. Slowly, she placed her right hand on his left shoulder. "It's not your fault. It's just....it's just not your day, that's all." She consoled. "It's just an exercise, Dae Young. Don't blame yourself for today's defeat."

   "Don't you understand, Myeong Joo?" He suddenly stared at her, his eyes knitted in a scowl. "The moment they set you up as part of the missing recon team, I was deeply concerned about you." He revealed, his eyes showing the truest sense of honesty. "I was in the building trying to find you, even though I can't show it. I even advised Yeung Joon–don't think of anything else but the mission. He asked me whether I could do that. I wanted to say I could, but at that time, my thoughts were only about you." He paused again as he looked back down. "I told Yeung Joon instead, that it was easier said than done. Looks like it's true after all." Feeling the slow gale blowing on his face, he said seconds later, "I'm worried to bits about you."

   Myeong Joo, feeling the emotions behind his words, let it sink into her heart. She felt his worry–a genuine one, and honest one, the worry that came from the heart of a soldier who endured all the brutal training and impossible missions just to protect the one he loves. Myeong Joo was no counselor though, and she's not like any other ordinary girl who can find ways to comfort their lovers. However, she could only devote herself as a caring and loving girlfriend, and she felt that she had no problem doing that when she rested her head on his left shoulder, just to tell him that she would be his pillar of strength. "You don't have to worry, Dae Young-ah. I am here for you." She whispered softly. "Don't forget that whatever happens, I always got your back."

   The words that came out from Myeong Joo's mouth worked like an invisible balm, attaching itself and worked its magic in soothing his disturbed heart. Slowly, he turned his towards her, touched by her caring ways. Her lying on his shoulder was something quite unexpected for Dae Young, but he had to admit that it was a comforting feeling she was delivering. In a slow movement, he outstretched his left arm over her back, his palm gripping onto her left arm in tender grace as he pushed her body closer towards him. He could feel the heat from her body emitting towards his body, piercing deep into his soul. She never budged from his hold as he kissed her head, the scent of Myeong Joo filling his nostrils. "Gomapta." He expressed.

   Myeong Joo simply let out a big grin as she snuggled ever closer to his body. She loved the way how his muscular body protected her in a cocoon, so tender, manly and loving. "You are welcome." She replied.

   "Geunde, how did you get up here? How did you evade the cameras?" Dae Young asked when it dawned on him that she had just climbed her way up to the roof without any detection whatsoever from the Chinese, in which he knew was a clearly impossible thing to do considering how tightly guarded their block was.

   Myeong Joo instantly glanced at the face of Dae Young when he asked that, as if she had done something wrong. However, instead of a guilty face, she showed a slight twitch of her lips, her eyes wide and had a playful look in it. "I'm a soldier too, remember? This doctor here is trained by the best, so I should be the best, or if not, equal to what men can do. Can't always let the men do the heavy lifting, isn't it?" She winked her left eye in a playful move.

   That was all it took to make him smile again, and Myeong Joo was absolutely glad to see him smiling again. Embracing her closer than ever before, the soldier couple looked up at the sky above, when they realised that the clouds had cleared and the sky was finally sparkled by blinking stars.
============================
This is a story that involved mostly about Si Jin and the Goo-Won couple. Si Jin isn't going to Uruk yet, but be rest assured that he will. Something will make him go there.

Happy reading!

PLAAF: People's Liberation Army Air Force

Wilco: Air force term for 'Will Comply'.

Chinese military ranks
Dàwèi=Captain

Korean military ranks
Soryeong=Major
Jungwi=First Lieutenant

Romanised Korean Words & Expressions
Ye: Yes
Jogiyo: Excuse me
Kkamjakiya: You've surprised me
Yah: Yes
Ani: No
Gwaenchana: Are you okay
Gomapta: Thank you
Geunde: Anyway

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

284 16 5
➳ sᴇᴏɴɢᴊᴏᴏɴɢ ___ ❝Just remember, in this world, everyone's a player. You either play the game or you get played.❞ In a dystopian city where memorie...
29.3K 1.7K 22
Jin is the happiest person in a world. He has a good career as a successful medical practitioner and also a son a very know family love by all. He ne...
339 12 12
Lee Y/N, a dedicated business women. She works for a big record company, helping young artist earn their keep. She's always wanted a family and is ti...
37.3K 1.7K 67
When Dr. L/n Y/n, the psychiatrist in Haesung hospital gets called down to see a patient recovering from a traumatic accident, she encounters Yoo Shi...