Memory Lane

By paintedstories

Scarlett Flores hasn't been herself for a long time. But it isn't until she meets a boy in a Star-Lord costum... More

0 / foreword
0 / character aesthetics
2 / hello, star-lord
3 / definition of no
4 / history buff
5 / new roommate
6 / moving day
7 / movie marathon
8 / apology accepted
9 / thanksgiving plans
10 / checking in
11 / up and away
12 / overwhelming
13 / three little pigs
14 / it's a date
15 / adoption day
16 / bubbling up
17 / fixed arrows
18 / sweater weather
19 / on a break
20 / touch down
21 / like father
22 / take it slow
23 / happy holidays
24 / big reveal
25 / bruised knuckles
26 / without you
27 / not to forgive
28 / epilogue

1 / wrong witch

4.2K 152 92
By paintedstories

She was the wrong kind of witch.

The electronic music blared over the speakers, causing her ears to ring. Bright lights lit up the room from expensive machines, only adding the high energy. Everywhere Scarlett looked, her gaze fell upon tipsy college students. While some pressed up against each other in the hopes of obtaining someone to warm their bed this Halloween, others hovered around the bar, tossing back shot after shot in the hopes of relieving themselves from the stress for a few hours.

She wasn't inebriated enough for this.

Scarlett gave a slight wriggle from where she sat on the bar stool, her fishnet stockings rubbing against her skin. She patted down her backside to ensure her dress hadn't lifted while on the dance floor. The gothic Victorian gown she'd found in the back of a vintage store in her hometown wasn't the best costume. Whenever she leaned forward, she feared giving everyone in the vicinity a few of her backside. But the more she tugged down, the more it dipped forward, revealing her lace bra she'd donned for the occasion. There was no way to win.

She didn't even think her ensemble counted as a witch's costume. Besides the short dress, all she'd done was swipe bright red lipstick over her mouth and curled her hair to frame her pointy hat.

Someone tapped her shoulder, and Scarlett turned in her seat to find Colette standing beside her. Her best friend held out a small plastic cup, which she took gratefully. Giving the drink a sniff, she recognized the distinct scent of vodka.

"Thought you'd need it," Colette said with a chuckle. She had an identical shot in her other hand, and simultaneously, both girls threw back the alcohol.

Scarlett sputtered. No matter how many times she took shots, she could never get used to the taste.

"Thanks," she said.

Colette hopped onto the barstool beside her. She smoothened her skirt beneath her. "So what's up?" She cocked an eyebrow. "Found any guys you're willing to spend the night with?"

Scarlett laughed. "Yeah. Right."

"I'm serious!" She hit her shoulder. "You should fix yourself up with a hottie and roll around with him."

"Not feeling it."

Before Colette could respond, a tall, dark-haired man came up behind her and pressed a kiss to the base of her neck, wrapping his arms around her waist. She leaned back into his touch with an airy giggle. "Hey, you," she greeted, kissing his neck in turn. "Where have you been?"

Victor was another one of their friends in their small circle. From what she knew, Colette had had a thing for him for a while, but he'd never noticed. It had taken a confession from her a few months previous before they'd gotten together. She supposed she should've felt awkward about two of her friends being boyfriend and girlfriend, but she didn't know them well enough to pass judgment.

They made an effort to include her, and that was enough for her.

"Around." When he stepped around the stool, Scarlett caught the stench of weed and wrinkled her nose.

Victor lifted his gaze to meet Scarlett's. "Hey, Scar. D'you like the party?"

She pasted on a smile. "Yeah." She wasn't lying. She did enjoy partying and going out, even if it was with complete strangers. She just didn't feel up to the task tonight.

He nuzzled the side of Colette's face with his nose. "Want to dance, babe?"

Colette opened her mouth, then snuck a look at Scarlett.

"Go," Scarlett insisted, guessing her train of thought. "I can handle myself. Maybe I will go look for someone to hook up with."

Satisfied, Colette slid off the barstool and let Victor lead into the throng of people.

Scarlett left the bar too, but instead of heading in the direction of the makeshift dance floor, she slipped down the hallway. The music was muffled, and she could finally hear her own thoughts. She started down the hall, not knowing her destination.

There were pairs of people either kissing or chatting against the walls, and she muttered awkward excuses as she squeezed past them. Those whose faces were glued to each other's hardly noticed her.

The second she had a bubble of space around her, she ducked into one of the rooms on her right without thinking.

Thankfully, Scarlett hadn't walked in on anything. But the boy lying down on the bed in the middle of the room didn't comfort her either.

He attempted to lift his head at the sound of her entrance, but was too drunk to do anything but turn his face to hers. The boy was fairly attractive, she noticed. A crooked smile split his face; long lashes framed hazel eyes; messy brown hair was styled in a way that appeared careless.

His outfit reminded her of the costume Chris Pratt wore in the final battle in Guardians of the Galaxy, concealing the muscular body underneath. His legs hung off the side of the bed, and he lifted a hand in greeting.

"Hello," he said. His eyes crinkled as he spoke, and she had to admit it was endearing. Her heart softened.

"Hi," Scarlett said, her voice small.

He was a stranger, but he seemed harmless. And she couldn't bring herself to leave him when he was alone. She was all too familiar with the feeling of being ignored, and even though she didn't know whether he truly was, she figured the least she could was offer her company. She had nothing better to do.

She pointed at the spot beside him. "Do you mind if I sit?"

"Nope." He popped the 'p.'

Scarlett sat on the rumpled covers as he scooted over to make room for her. She let her legs hang over and reached a hand up to undo the intricate hairstyle she'd spent two hours perfecting. Her hair fell to brush lightly against her shoulders, blonde streaking through the natural brown locks.

"So... Star-Lord, right?"

He smiled again, though she suspected it wasn't a usual action for him. There was a furrow between his eyebrows, indicating a permanent frown.

"A witch, right?" he said, throwing her words back. He sat up so quickly she jolted. From this angle, it was easier to see his full profile, and her stomach swooped at the proximity. "Your costume is cute. You're a cute witch."

Scarlett was about to thank him when he tipped forward, falling face-first into her lap. She gave an involuntary wriggle. He was closer to her than most of her dates during their first meeting; strangely, he didn't make her feel uncomfortable. She knew he was acting on account of the alcohol, and a part of her understood he was harmless.

Her palm rested in his hair, fingers curling around tangles. "Why did you drink so much?"

If she planned to get drunk, she made sure she had someone around to drive her home and ensure she made the right decisions. He was drunk alone in someone else's bedroom.

He lifted his head from her lap. He was so close that his breath fanned her face, and he reeked of alcohol. "My dad's a dick," was all he said.

Her eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

Instead of responding, he twirled a lock of her hair around his finger. He released it when it was completely coiled, and it bounced back. "You're blonde," he stated, matter-of-fact. "I like blondes."

Scarlett didn't know what to say to that, so she blurted, "I like dark-haired guys."

He grinned so wide she worried the world would crack from how much he shone. "I have dark hair."

She nodded. "You're very handsome."

Pleased, he leaned back, leaving a foot of space between them. "He doesn't like me." It took her a moment to realize he was answering her earlier question. "Thinks I'm a disappointment. Says I'm weird because I like boys and girls. Do you think that's weird? I mean, I don't care but—"

He broke off suddenly. His parlor had taken on a green tint, and he scrambled off the bed, rushing into the attached bathroom. She heard him retching, and she winced as he purged himself of the last couple of hours.

Scarlett followed him into the bathroom. He was kneeling down, arms braced against the toilet seat, gagging. The reek of vomit filled the confined space, and she had to resist the urge to gag herself. Pinching her nose shut, she placed a hand on his back and began rubbing in a circular motion.

Never leave someone alone at their worst, she could hear her mother saying. Then you'll never see them at their best.

It took a few minutes before the vomit ceased and he stopped gagging.

"Okay?"

He nodded, but didn't meet her gaze.

Scarlett bent down, peering inside the cupboards. She always kept a spare toothbrush with her at college, and if she was lucky, this person did too. She found one, unopened, hidden beneath a bottle of mouthwash that looked like it had only been used once before.

She handed it to him. "Here. Use this."

He accepted it, rising to his feet. Scarlett stepped to the side to allow him room to face the sink. He flicked on the tap, water rushing down in a steady stream.

"I'm going to wait in the bedroom, okay?"

Without hearing his response, she retook her spot on the bed, legs tucked beneath her. Two minutes later, and the boy emerged from the bathroom. The lamp inside brightened his figure as he stood in the doorway, and he used the frame as support. "You're a good witch."

His compliment warmed her heart, and an involuntary smile spread across her face. "Thank you." She gave him a mock salute. "Star-Lord."

Scarlett patted the spot beside her, and he plopped down, the bedsprings squeaking at the added weight. They sat in uncomfortable silence for what felt like an eternity. She didn't know what she could say; she was comforting a stranger—someone she'd never met before. She didn't know him. For some reason, that bothered her. He had proven himself far more interesting than half of the people outside.

"I miss my friends," he blurted.

She tilted her head to get a better look at his face. His gaze had become guarded with the subject change, and she was testing the waters.

"Where are they?"

"Not here." His shoulders slumped. "They go to college elsewhere."

"Oh." Scarlett caught her bottom lip between her teeth. "Who are they?" His head snapped up, eyes narrowed. "I mean, tell me about them. Why do you miss them?"

"They're my friends." He spoke with the impatience of a child explaining why he took the last cookie out of the jar. Blunt. Final.

"Okay." She loosed a breath. "Then tell me about them. Maybe it'll make it easier."

He was appeased by this, but before he could say anything, an unfamiliar ringtone rang out. He blinked twice before realizing it was his own cell and fishing it out of his jacket pocket. Scarlett didn't get a chance to see the caller ID before he tucked it away.

"Sorry," he said, with something unidentifiable in his tone. Regret, perhaps. "But I have to take this." There was slick warmth against her cheek as he kissed her cheek with little accuracy. It was a wet kiss, one that she would've normally wiped away without a second thought. But the pressure of his mouth against her skin never faded—not even as he stood and disappeared into the bathroom.

His voice was intelligible through the door, but he sounded more composed than he had earlier. She wondered if it was his father or one of his friends calling.

I've only known this guy for a few minutes, and I'm already investigating his personal life.

She sighed. She needed to get a grip.

The only way she could get a grasp on her thoughts was if she was far, far away from here. Without making a sound, she reattached her hat and confirmed that her costume was in tact before exiting the bedroom.

When she returned to the living room, it was more crowded than it had been when she arrived. Bodies pressed against each other. Immediately, she was sandwiched between strangers. Sweat shone on her skin, and the music pounded through her skull.

She had to shove her way out. It was possible she elbowed a few people, but that hardly mattered as she was freed from the throng. She gave the room a quick scan, but couldn't recognize Colette or Victor's heads.

Scarlett honed in on the dark-skinned man chatting to a petite girl by the front door. She marched over immediately, and when she caught his gaze over her shoulder, he nodded in greeting.

"Hey, Robert," Scarlett said, giving his date a soft smile. Robert was another member of their friendship circle. He was Victor's friend, and as she had been Colette's, their bond had cemented their freshman year of college. If the information Colette told her was correct.

While the most introverted of their group, Scarlett preferred his company to Victor's, who could be too involved and clingy. His soft-spoken nature balanced her extroverted self. It was a relief to know someone who wasn't glued to the party scene.

"Hi, Scar." He sounded displeased, and she guessed that he'd been on a roll with his girl only a moment ago.

"Let Colette I left, okay?" She had to raise her voice to be heard above the music, and when her words registered, his eyes popped.

"Now?" he confirmed. "Is everything okay?"

Scarlett nodded. She was too drained to continue, and of all people, Robert would understand that. It was a small relief to have found him.

"Okay." Robert refocused his attention on his date, and she took that as her cue to exit. Once outside, the fresh air slammed into her. She reveled in the free space she had to move, now able to take as long of strides as she pleased.

The music was significantly muted out here, but it was loud enough that it was a miracle the cops hadn't busted them yet. Someone lay passed out in the middle of the lawn, and solo cups littered the bushes and grass.

The breeze cooled her legs. The streetlights marked her journey home, and she began the walk home.

She had never even learned his name. 

so here it is – the first chapter of hunter's story! this is a little on the short side, but this chapter mainly serves to introduce scarlett and help you adjust to her narrative. it's been great getting back into writing after a year, and i'm so pumped to write this! it's wonderful to explore this side of hunter's character and see how he acts outside his group of friends (especially drunk hunter), and also get the chance to introduce some future characters. 

let me know if you enjoyed this! please comment, vote, and add this to your lists if you'd like. i'd also appreciate it if you all would stop by my ask and drop a few questions into my inbox. i love answering questions. and if you want to see more picspams and teasers for my characters/stories, check out my twitter + tumblr. 

yours truly, carolina x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

314K 13.7K 42
Story between Scarlett Johansson and Y/N L/N. This is a story about two friends who decided to step into the dangerous territory of being friends wi...
4.1K 105 25
Scarlett Jones. 17 years old with a passion for books and reading! Her brother throws a party. Crazy shit happens, which also makes her meet the love...
4.5K 231 29
When Scarlett Winters loses her memory in a freak accident and wakes up only knowing who bad boy, Hunter Grayson, is. How will her boyfriend, Julian...
62.1K 3.1K 56
[WATTYS 2021 SHORTLIST] After suffering a heartbreak caused by no explanation, DYLAN MILLER does everything she can to forget about HUNTER GRAYSON...