1 / wrong witch

She was the wrong kind of witch.

The electronic music blared over the speakers, causing her ears to ring. Bright lights lit up the room from expensive machines, only adding the high energy. Everywhere Scarlett looked, her gaze fell upon tipsy college students. While some pressed up against each other in the hopes of obtaining someone to warm their bed this Halloween, others hovered around the bar, tossing back shot after shot in the hopes of relieving themselves from the stress for a few hours.

She wasn't inebriated enough for this.

Scarlett gave a slight wriggle from where she sat on the bar stool, her fishnet stockings rubbing against her skin. She patted down her backside to ensure her dress hadn't lifted while on the dance floor. The gothic Victorian gown she'd found in the back of a vintage store in her hometown wasn't the best costume. Whenever she leaned forward, she feared giving everyone in the vicinity a few of her backside. But the more she tugged down, the more it dipped forward, revealing her lace bra she'd donned for the occasion. There was no way to win.

She didn't even think her ensemble counted as a witch's costume. Besides the short dress, all she'd done was swipe bright red lipstick over her mouth and curled her hair to frame her pointy hat.

Someone tapped her shoulder, and Scarlett turned in her seat to find Colette standing beside her. Her best friend held out a small plastic cup, which she took gratefully. Giving the drink a sniff, she recognized the distinct scent of vodka.

"Thought you'd need it," Colette said with a chuckle. She had an identical shot in her other hand, and simultaneously, both girls threw back the alcohol.

Scarlett sputtered. No matter how many times she took shots, she could never get used to the taste.

"Thanks," she said.

Colette hopped onto the barstool beside her. She smoothened her skirt beneath her. "So what's up?" She cocked an eyebrow. "Found any guys you're willing to spend the night with?"

Scarlett laughed. "Yeah. Right."

"I'm serious!" She hit her shoulder. "You should fix yourself up with a hottie and roll around with him."

"Not feeling it."

Before Colette could respond, a tall, dark-haired man came up behind her and pressed a kiss to the base of her neck, wrapping his arms around her waist. She leaned back into his touch with an airy giggle. "Hey, you," she greeted, kissing his neck in turn. "Where have you been?"

Victor was another one of their friends in their small circle. From what she knew, Colette had had a thing for him for a while, but he'd never noticed. It had taken a confession from her a few months previous before they'd gotten together. She supposed she should've felt awkward about two of her friends being boyfriend and girlfriend, but she didn't know them well enough to pass judgment.

They made an effort to include her, and that was enough for her.

"Around." When he stepped around the stool, Scarlett caught the stench of weed and wrinkled her nose.

Victor lifted his gaze to meet Scarlett's. "Hey, Scar. D'you like the party?"

She pasted on a smile. "Yeah." She wasn't lying. She did enjoy partying and going out, even if it was with complete strangers. She just didn't feel up to the task tonight.

He nuzzled the side of Colette's face with his nose. "Want to dance, babe?"

Colette opened her mouth, then snuck a look at Scarlett.