Personal Assistant (MXM - ED...

By AnxiacElijah

"Hello. My name is Serene Ochoa. I want to try out for the position of your assistant. I earned my Masters's... More

Hello!
Chapter 2: Congratulations.
Chapter 3: Late... or not?
Chapter 4: You invited who?
Chapter 5: Knowing Marcel
Chapter 6: Time legend.
Chapter 7: Bathroom anxiety
Chapter 8: It's Seven
Chapter 9: Wrap n' Go
Chapter 10: With all due respect.
Chapter 11: Told you you'd regret it.
Chapter 12: Tying a tie
Chapter 13: Messaging
Chapter 14: Keys.
Chapter 15: The party
Chapter 16: Red cheeks.
Chapter 17: Next morning
Chapter 18: Forgetting something?
Chapter 19: Initiation
Chapter 20: Why assistant?
Chapter 21: Messages from an 'Insomniac'
Chapter 22: Every action has a reaction pt. i
Chapter 23: Every action has a reaction. pt. ii
Chapter 24: A rejection
Chapter 25: The experiment.
Chapter 26: Victoria Henderson
Chapter 27: Closer than you think pt. i
Chapter 28: Closer than you think pt. ii
Chapter 29: Helpless.
Chapter 30: Second-In-Command
Chapter 31: Lupus.
Chapter 32: Take care.
Chapter 33: Serene.
Chapter 34: Highschool
Chapter 35: Confession pt. i
Chapter 36: Confession pt. ii
Chapter 37: Confession pt. iii
Chapter 38: Doubts
Chapter 39: Thank you.
Chapter 40: Salvation. pt. i
Chapter 41: Salvation. pt. ii
Chapter 42: The assistant.
Chapter 43: The broken promise.
Chapter 44: The CEO.
Epilogue
Extra Chapter: A Toast To...
author note
update

Chapter 1: The Interview.

90.8K 3.1K 1.4K
By AnxiacElijah

You are in the building of the GamerCave company, the organization that made multiple video games throughout your childhood, the company that made games that you played as a kid.

Serene's heart raced, knowing that the interview he was about to enter would determine his future.

It scared him.

He has nowhere else to go if he doesn't get the job. If he gets the job, that would be his future. A lump grew inside his throat, and he could not swallow. His brain had forgotten how to function the body.

I can't do this, he thought. I still have fifteen minutes left until the interviews start. I can run out of the building and find another job. I can choose a different career path, a different future.

His breathing stopped for a minute. The floor shifted under his feet as his vision blurred, and the fear of moving crept into his head. Serene's stomach twisted as if his organs were dancing inside of him, causing him to feel the need to throw up. His temperature dropped along with the noises in the background. He sensed the urge to fall onto the floor and pretend he'd collapsed.

"I can't do this."

Eleven minutes until the interview. The elevator is attached to the wall, taunting Serene to start walking. Goosebumps crawled on his pale skin, making him tremble in the middle of the main floor.

"Excuse me," a voice interrupted the silence that Serene had imagined.

Crap.

"Are you in need of assistance?"

A woman walked in front of him. Her brown hair was pulled into a bun, allowing Serene to acknowledge her face's well-highlighted. She dressed formally, a dark blue blazer covering her white buttoned shirt. The corner of her rose-painted lips curved, giving Serene a grin.

He blinked a few times, his mind processing what was said. He swallowed before recognizing his silence and finally responded, "I'm here for the interview."

Her eyes widened, keeping her smile on her beautiful tanned face. "You're here for the assistant job?"

Serene nodded slowly, hesitant to even talk. "Do you happen to know which floor it's at?" he asked, keeping his composure.

"The fifth floor. Room 508."

Serene sent the woman a slight grin, nodding her a thank you. He walked to the elevator, his legs weaker with every step.

His face flushed with embarrassment, regretting the social events he avoided as a kid. He weighed the possibilities: If he had joined at least one pep rally, he probably would've felt more comfortable for a job interview. That's what social anxiety does to you. It keeps you from wanting to be the center of attention. Whenever he was expected to speak, he would need to play out conversations in his head before approaching anyone.

Serene waited near the elevator, watching the doors slide open in front of him. He let out a soft and long sigh, allowing any anxiety he kept inside to leave his system. The brunette male walked into the elevator, pleased that no one would be with him in the small space.

Throughout the years, he was able to control his anxiety. He had always wanted to be an assistant, and with the motivation, he practiced once in a while and all for this specific interview. He knew that meetings would come with being an assistant. He knew he needed to develop his communication skills, which is what he did. As long as he doesn't feel the need to wing it, he'd be fine.

Then again, his habit of winging it had always been in his favor during speeches and debates during school. It's not like he didn't trust himself to make something up on the spot, but it was more of that fact that there was always that off chance that he might word things wrong.

Serene pressed the button on his right, making the doors close. The machine he was in started moving upward to the fifth floor. Calming instrumental music played in the elevator not helping the tension that built up inside of him. Turning his attention to his left side, he saw his reflection on the mirror placed as a wall. He sighed deeply, annoyed at how much of a nervous wreck he looked. The doors opened finally, letting Serene know it was time to leave the elevator.

People rushed by him, some on the phone and others holding papers. It looked like a busy day. He looked at the left corner of the wall where a sign was placed. Two numbers were written on a sign with arrows aimed at either the left or middle hallway (the numbers on the sign were the number of rooms in the hallway). He walked down the central hallway where the 500s were located. He passed a series of rooms until he reached the office: Room 508.

Serene's hands quivered, raising them to the doorknob to open the door. As he walked in, women were sitting in chairs outside another room. They all glanced at Serene, some shooting genuine smiles and scowls. The lump in his throat crawled back up as he sent back a timid smile to those that gazed his way. He walked towards an empty, cushioned chair between a brunette wearing a blazer and a pencil skirt. The brunette that sat to his right shook her leg anxiously.

At the left of him was a woman with red hair who wore a formal dress. She ignored everyone around her and concentrated on her phone. She wasn't moving around as much as the other women. She seemed more confident, sitting up straight and professionally.

It bothered him too. These were the people that would usually intimidate Serene. It wasn't because he wasn't confident in himself but because these people would somehow go over the top to be the best in the herd. He envied them. He has struggled to push his way out of the crowd, but people, like the girl beside him, made it seem simple.

Serene sighed when realizing how hard the interview was going to be. He looked around the room he sat in and noticed the dullness of the walls. It was nothing but a small number of chairs. However, there were two doors: the door he used to enter and the door to the CEO's office. A sunflower sat in a light blue glass cup on the only coffee table in the room's corner. That was about as decorative as the place got.

The CEO's door opened, and a red-haired woman came out, glanced at Serene, and her eyes widened as she cleared her throat. "Excuse me, ladies—" She closed the CEO's door and smiled at Serene "—and man. Mr. Anderson has given me a list of names. You may kindly walk out if I call you since Mr. Anderson does not want your...." She trailed off for a few seconds as if delaying what she was about to say. She cleared her throat again. "In his words, 'your presence to affect his intellect.'"

Serene tilted his head, squinting at how the woman had worded it. It sounded straightforward but also a bit harsh coming from an experienced person.

"He's taken a step to review your resumes and education records. As I said before, if your name is called, you failed to meet his expectations."

Serene heard some of the women groan with annoyance and disappointment. He didn't worry, though, knowing he had wanted this job since he was a kid. Playing GamerCave's video games was the only distraction and enjoyment he experienced during school. Serene had always felt the need to be a part of the brain that created his childhood. He's always wanted to thank the company in some way, and as a kid, it sounded a bit ridiculous and over the top. He took every step he needed to take to get where he wanted to be.

Gazing at the redhead that sat calmly on his left side, keeping her eyes on her phone, Serene started to realize he was someone who wanted to be at the top. He blinked for a few seconds and realized he was at the top, sitting in the waiting room outside GamerCave's CEO's office. Now he just needs to stand out from those who do, too.

The redhead woman that walked out of the CEO's office gave her attention to a piece of paper in her hand, reading several names, followed by frustration and sore sighs from some of the people in the room. "Sorry, ladies, but you didn't meet Mr. Anderson's expectations."

The room emptied, and as the last woman walked out, Serene noticed only four had stayed. They smiled at the fact that the woman didn't call them, boosting the little confidence that they had left. As for Serene, fear caged inside of him. He didn't know how this interview would go. From hearing it, the CEO sounded more of a rigid superior than anything else.

Sure, it'd be easier now since half the competition was gone, but it's still four girls against one lanky guy. Not knowing what the questions were going to be worried him. He couldn't plan out the conversations like he was used to.

"Payton Izaguirre, you're wanted for the interview."

The brunette that sat at the right of him stood up. Her hands were shoved into her pockets, forgetting that her posture was one of the recognized qualities. She exhaled deeply, walking towards the room.

Serene huffed, reclining on the chair, hearing the door to the CEO's office close. The beige ceiling was as dull as the walls. He narrowed his eyes, picturing small photos that could be placed in the room that would add personality to the scene.

"You're here for the interview, right?" an appealing voice disrupted his thoughts. Serene turned to his left, seeing the red-haired girl still looking at her phone. He wasn't sure at first whether he was hearing things or if someone had spoken to him. However, his attention returned once the woman he stared at conversed again. "Yes, I'm talking to you," she clarified, not looking up from her device.

"Yes, I am."

"That's interesting. Never met a guy that wanted to work for another man." She glanced at Serene, a small smile appearing on her pink-colored lips. "Are you gay or something?"

His eyes widened, pale face fading into a light rosy color. "What? I'm not— can't a guy look for a job? This occupation isn't categorized for just women, you know?"

She scoffed, looking back down at the phone. "I know. It's just that not many guys try out for this profession. They're usually going for the bigger position."

Serene grew irritated by the girl's mindset. He's never struggled with gender norms, but moving downstate, he didn't know what else he expected. "Are you implying women go for lower positions where men are superiors?"

She laughed, shaking her head. "I'm just saying men seem very sensitive when told what to do." She turned to Serene, narrowing her eyes at him. "Especially if the orders are coming from another guy."

Before he could respond, the door opened. "Serene Ochoa, you're next."

He turned his attention to the other redhead that walked out, trying to understand why the interview had ended instantly. The brunette stepped out, smiling and more relaxed than she was when she went in.

Did I miss something? Why did she finish so fast? he thought.

"Is there a Serene here?"

Serene glanced at the woman who stood by the door and stood up quickly from his position. "Yes, sorry. I'm a bit out of it today," he uttered.

He tightened the white tie his black blazer covered, walking past the woman as she smiled at him. "Don't let Mr. Anderson know that," she said.

He swallowed and nodded, stepping in. The air around him got colder, sending shivers down his spine and delivering goosebumps to his skin. The door closed, and Serene felt the tension grow around him; he quickly changed mood once the door closed. The woman stayed by the door, her hands behind her back as she watched Serene examine the office.

The place was huge. A black office desk was in the middle, in front of huge windows with no curtains, letting anyone who entered the room view the clear yet noisy city of Batesburg. A flat-screen TV flattened on the wall in front of the desk, mimicking the company's richness. The CEO was sitting at the desk on a leather, spinning chair. He didn't look up to see Serene but instead tapped his pen on the files he stared at.

"Are you aware you're timed the moment you walk in?" he spoke, breaking the silence.

"Hello. My name is Serene Ochoa. I want to try out for the position of your assistant. I earned my Masters's degree in literature and—"

"Did you read the requirements needed to become my assistant, Ms. Serene?" he interrupted.

At this moment, Serene didn't want to be here. He started regretting everything, starting from the point of entering the building. His mind raced with multiple responses, thinking of a professional way to correct the CEO. Gulping all the wrong answers to the CEO's question, Serene cleared his throat. "Mr."

"Sorry?"

"Sir, it's Mr. Serene."

The CEO looked up, staring with his ocean-blue eyes at the male that trembled in the middle of the room. "A man?"

Serene didn't think. The floor underneath him shook as if there was an earthquake, and no thought could go to his head. "I'm sorry. Did I sign up for a job not suited for a man?" he responded with a nervous chuckle. Internally, however, he was punching himself about the sarcasm he threw at the CEO.

Mr. Anderson raised an eyebrow.

The comment wasn't supposed to be vocalized. If Serene doesn't think of the conversation beforehand, he wings it. And when he wings it, he risks being sarcastic and wording things wrong.

The CEO's lips shaped into a gentle smile, and he shook his head, interested in how Serene responded. "My apologies. Your voice doesn't sound anywhere near to a man." There was a slight tease in his voice, almost like he wanted another reaction. "However, as I said, did you read the requirements to become my assistant?"

Serene took a moment to process what was said to him. Frustration grew at the tone, and he wondered why it even mattered what his voice sounded like. Was this who I was signing up to work for?

"Yes, Sir," Serene responded.

"Do you think you're qualified?"

"Yes, Sir. I have the patience, confidence, and alertness to multitask."

He looked back to his paperwork on his desk as if the interview had finally bored him. "Are you aware you're competing with numerous women?"

What does that have to do with anything? Serene cleared his throat. "Mr. Anderson, I do notice the number of women outside this room, but I am also mindful that this job doesn't require female genitals." Serene wanted to cover his mouth. What's with all the gender comments? He couldn't help the sarcasm, but talking to someone commenting on gender in a workplace seemed just as unprofessional. His stomach turned, legs trembled like when he walked into the building.

The CEO scoffed. "You're very blunt, Mr. Ochoa.." He looked up from the paperwork, a smirk across his face. "Although I've had such a lovely time speaking to you, I'm afraid our time is up. Please leave my office." He gazed back at the files on his desk, avoiding any more eye contact with the man before him.

Serene was confused. The interview ended faster than expected and with no real questions. It felt like the woman before him had more time in the room. He thought it was probably because of the comments he let out. Yet, another disaster from winging it. He tilted his head to the side, not sure what to do. "I didn't finish my qualifications, Sir."

"I'm aware, Mr. Ochoa, but it's also clear to me you skipped the part on the interview application that said you are timed the moment you enter my office." He looked up at Serene, and the sly grin seemed more devilish than before. "Maybe you should've spent more time completing your qualifications instead of being a smartass with me."

And just like that, Serene's heart dropped.

The door opened, and the red-haired woman that had let Serene in the room nodded at him as a sign to leave. He sighed, not wanting to make this any more complicated than it was. "I assume if I don't get a callback, I didn't get the job."

"That is right, so why not use your patience for the rest of the day and wait to see if you got the job."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.3K 1.5K 20
"Look at her blushing, Rose. Do we make you nervous, tesoro?" "Yes" I respond, my eyes closing. The pleasure is too much. "If I have to tell your t...
415K 23.1K 44
[COMPLETE] Hi. My name is Sebastian Adler and I'm a personal assistant. I have a habit of saying my last name unnecessarily. Let's do this again. My...
8.6K 419 36
"I'm not some damn piece of charity work." "I know. I just want to give you a helping hand- as a friend." "We're not friends." "Well- then as an old...
108K 5.1K 25
''Let me help you, ma'am,'' a man who was probably the flight attendant said. Damn. Ryerson Reeds even had handsome flight attendants. The man stoope...