Thief of My Heart (Watty Awar...

By sleepswithroses

Hannibal Heyes is an outlaw trying to go straight. He's wanted dead or alive. The former leader of the Devil'... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48

Chapter 18

66.6K 783 36
By sleepswithroses

Kid woke up shortly after dawn and Heyes was gone.   Gone on his horse.  He had played right into his hands. Had  he known  Heyes was planning to slip out on his own to hunt down that killer, he never would have taken his eyes off him.  It wasn’t like Heyes to be this reckless or this stupid.  But then again it wasn’t like him to fall in love either.  And that’s just what had happened.  Heyes wasn’t thinking straight because he was too riled up over Evie being in trouble.  And the reason he was so riled up, was because he was punch drunk with love.  Shoot, he was riled up himself and he wasn't in love with the girl.  He could only imagine the torment Heyes was enduring.  How did this happen?  He didn't think Heyes even believed in falling in love.  Not since they'd become wanted men.  He knew Heyes enjoyed a woman's company as much, or maybe more than the next man.  But love?  Dang it!   He never had gotten around to having that serious talk with Heyes.  Oh, well, he doubted if it would have done any good anyway.  Heyes was already head over heels when he’d found him and Evie  three days ago.  Although he didn't think Heyes even realized it.

Kid made quick work of packing the gear and saddling the mule.  He didn’t have any time to lose.  He had to get to Heyes as soon as possible.  He knew what he was planning.   He wanted to get there alone, so he could take a little revenge on the man who'd dared to touch the woman he loved.  And he didn't want his partner there to stop him or talk him down.  He wanted to kill the man.  Kid understood.  He’d wanted to kill men before, too.  It was hard enough to live with another man's blood on your hands when the other man was shooting back. That old saying, "Never bring a knife to a gun fight" came into his mind.  Because that's just what was going to happen.  That murderer had only been carrying a knife when he'd taken Evie.  He'd obviously thrown Heyes' revolver and Evie's rifle in the river, because they couldn't find either one.  And Heyes was headed right for him and he had a big red target in the middle of  his chest and only a knife to defend himself.   If Heyes accomplished what he was setting out to do, Kid was afraid he'd never be able to live with the regret.  Plus he didn't know how it might affect their amnesty.  He had to catch up to him and fast.  He looked Jenny in her bulging brown eyes.  "I may not have a way with horses or mules, but I do have a way with the ladies. And since you're a lady, I got one favor to ask.  Will you get the lead out of your butt and move! We've got some catchin'  up to do."   She brayed loudly as he climbed onto her saddled back.  "I hope that was you agreein' with me.  Let's go puddin' foot."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kid had been right.  They had stopped after darkness fell.  Heyes squatted now by the unmistakable outline of two people who had lain side by side.  He touched the smaller of the two indentions on the mossy ground.  She had lain here just a few hours ago.  He closed his eyes as he recalled the nights he'd held her close while she'd slept.  He remembered the smell of her hair, the softness of her skin, the sound of her breathing.  He felt like his heart was caught in a vice.  Then he  looked at the larger indention, only  a scant foot away from hers.   And he recalled how hard it had been to keep from touching her, how hard he had fought with himself to resist the temptation her beauty and spirit had presented.  And how he'd finally given in to that temptation that night in the cave.  How it had felt to hold her close and kiss her.   This lech wouldn't even try to fight the temptation.  Unless the price of a virgin was more tempting,  Evie was probably in big trouble.  The thought of this gutless barbarian laying one filthy finger on her made his blood boil.  He scooped up a handful of the earth from the spot where she had been lying and balled it into his fisted hand then slung it into the trunk of the nearest tree with a splat.  Before climbing back in the saddle, he reached into the saddlebag and removed Evie's memory bag. He'd placed it inside this morning before he'd rode out.  He looked at her angelic face in the tintype photograph, then took the soft lock of her baby hair and ran it gently across his fingers.   Don't be afraid, sweetheart.  I'm coming.  And when I get there, he'll never hurt you or anybody else again.  

The next time he stopped it was to briefly  check the ammo in his rifle and water the horse.  While the horse drank, he changed from his tan  jacket to his blue coat.  Evie's coat.  The sun had been behind the clouds since mid morning.  And the noonday air was chilly.  She was probably freezing.  He wanted it to be warm from his body heat when she put it on. He was closing in on them.  It wouldn't be long now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She had tried to think of a way to escape.  But hunger and exhaustion were befuddling her brain. And her mind was totally preoccupied with how cold she was in her flimsy dress.   She had no idea how long they had been riding or in what direction they were going.  There was no sun to guide her and this forest seemed endless.  Her head drooped wearily forward.  She was about to fall asleep, or pass out.  She didn't really care anymore.  She was so tired.  So tired.  Joshua.  Harlan had roused her shortly after dawn with a not so gentle boot to her ribs.  She had been dreaming of Joshua and the kiss they had shared in the cave.  Oh how she wished she were back in that cave with him.  They had been riding for at least five hours.  It must be close to noon.  Despite her best efforts to keep her faith and her hope in tact,  she was beginning to give up hope that Joshua or Thaddeus or anyone was ever going to find her.  Her eyes closed and she was just about to give in to her exhaustion when the horse stepped from the ocean of trees into a glade.  The sound of the rushing river now unmuffled by the dense forest, roared loudly making her more alert.  She scanned the gorgeous scenery with droopy eyes..  Had she not been so tired, hopeless and in despair at her situation, she would have been in awe of the beauty of this place.  A bend in the  wide river was split in half by a huge cliff jutting from the middle of the earth where the dense forest grew. The river was beginning its south westerly route towards the Rio Grande.   The rolling waters cascaded like carpets being rolled down a staircase on either side of the huge rock formation to converge into white foaming rapids at the base some twenty feet below.  How wonderful it would have been to discover this wonder of natural beauty with Joshua.  Thinking of Joshua in her tired state must have her hallucinating.  She could have sworn she saw a rider, much like Joshua, in the dim light of the trees on the other side of the glade, riding fast towards her.  But if she was seeing things  then she was hearing things too.  Because she could hear the sound of each hoof beat as it pounded the ground.  As she continued to watch the vision,  it got closer and grew clearer.    Hope swelled in her breast.  Joy sprang anew in her heart.  It wasn't a vision.  It was Joshua! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He had come up behind them shortly after noon.  He'd silently followed them for nearly a mile.  When he was satisfied that Evie was not in immediate danger,  he turned his horse west and using his superior horsemanship, galloped swiftly through the forest, dodging in and out of trees, then he turned southward again.  He was going to cut them off at the pass.  How easy it would have been to put a bullet in his back and this whole nightmare would be over.  But that would have been too good for the son of a bitch.  No, Heyes wanted him to see him coming.  To know who he'd crossed.  And why it had been a mistake to cross him.  His last mistake.  He'd emerged from the trees into  the grassy glade about fifteen minutes before Evie and her captor.  He had ridden into the trees on the opposite side of the grassy clearing that was about twenty yards wide.  And he waited. 

 As he rode  out of the woods now into the open meadow, Heyes  relished the look of shocked surprise on the man's face.  He'd never gotten a good look at the man until now and Heyes was astonished.  The man was grotesque.  He was tall and thin.  He was completely bald on top with thin scraggly wisp's of long stringy hair hanging down to this shoulders.  He had a large hooked nose and a severly receding chin and eyes that seemed to be in a perpetual squint.  His teeth were rotten, his unshaven face was marred with pock marks and his clothes were so dirty that the original color of them was undistinguishable.  He wanted to run and grab Evie off the horse and away from the filthy beast, but he didn't know what kind of weapons he might have hidden so he stayed back a few feet.  He would have to handle this right if he was going to get  Evie and himself out of this alive.   As he rode closer he pulled the rifle from its scabbard.  When he dismounted he sought Evie's face.  Her beautiful face was  awash with disbelief and relief.  He tried as best he could without speaking to tell her not to be afraid it was going to be alright.   He took in the sight of her magnificent wealth of glorious hair, tangled and matted with leaves and debris.  She almost shivered in the thin summer dress, too thin for the cool October weather, even in Texas.   Her usually bright shining eyes were dull with dark circles beneath.  And then he saw the blueish discoloration on her right jawline.  Never in his twenty-nine years had he wanted to kill someone this badly.  He never thought he could be as angry as he had been the day his family had been slaughtered by raiding soldiers.  Or when he and Jeb had been dropped at the front gate of the orphans home like two sacks of bad feed.  Or when Danny Bilson had left them and old Seth for dead out in the middle of the desert without food, water or horses, after he'd stolen their hard earned gold.  But those times paled in comparison to the rage he felt inside right now.  Imagining he'd touched her was nothing when faced with the reality that he had dared to hit her.  He felt his self control slipping.  

  She sat up taller in the saddle to get a better view of him over Rusty's perked ears.  He was the most welcome sight Evangeline had ever seen.  He reined in the gelding as he pulled a rifle from the saddle scabbard and dismounted all in one fluid motion.   Harlan brought Rusty to a halt.  From behind her Evie could hear his disgruntled growl of frustration.  

She couldn't believe her eyes.  He was alive.  He was alive and he was here.  He had come for her.  Their eyes locked from across the few yards that now separated them.  His soul spoke to her through those beautiful brown eyes more loudly than words could have.   Everything's going to be alright.  I'm here now. She instinctively moved to go to him.  But she was stopped short by her tethered hands, and by Harlan's thighs that suddenly gripped hers tight from behind.   Her eyes lingered on Joshua's face.  His beautiful face that she had missed so much.  The face she feared she would never see again.  She shuddered slightly when a  visible change came over his face as he took in her condition.  She must bear the marks of the abuse she had suffered at Harlan's hand.  His jaw became rigid,  his lips pursed, his nostrils slightly flared.  And as he turned them towards her cruel abuser, his eyes turned cold.  

"Afternoon."  The greeting was not friendly. Rusty began to nicker and prance at the sound of Joshua's voice, his regal head straining upwards.  Joshua walked leisurely closer .  The rifle in the crook of his arm his black hat low over his eyes.  When he was only a few feet in front of her captor,  he pushed his hat back on his head and smiled up at him with a smile that did not reach his eyes.    "I think you got some things that belong to me and I think I want them back."    He took another step closer, holding the rifle in his right hand his finger on the trigger.  He braced the butt of the rifle against his hip as he pointed it at Harlan and said calmly, "Now."

Even looking down at him, his body language, his posture and eerie calm voice, made Joshua a daunting figure.  But even if Joshua had not been armed, he would have been formidable.  Evie could feel the fumes of rage coming from him.  As she sat atop the horse and took in the whole scene she almost felt sorry for Mr. Mathis.  She didn't think he was going to fare well in this fight.  Especially if.....wait a minute.  Where was Thaddeus? 

"Untie her."

Harlan, his eyes never leaving Joshua, did as he was told and unwound the leather thongs from the saddlehorn but did not unbind her wrists.

"What makes you think anything I got belongs to you?"

Evie could not believe  Harlan had the nerve to even speak.  

"Well, we all know the horse belongs to me.  So that  means everything on the horse belongs to me too.   Including you.  Get down."

The cold calm of his voice let Harlan know he should probably do what he was told.  He dismounted the horse   and  stood  there, arms raised in surrender, staring at the man he'd knocked unconscious with a rock yesterday morning.    

"What's your name?"  Joshua asked.

Evie was confused.  Why did he want to know this miscreants name?  If he wanted to know she would tell him.  Miles away from here.  She would tell him many miles away from here.  Why weren't they riding out of here and leaving him stranded.  If he meant to kill the man surely he would have done it by now. What was he doing?  

When he didn't answer, Joshua slowly raised the rifle and jammed the barrel into Harlan's chest.  He smiled that smile again.  The one that didn't reach his eyes.  "I asked you question."

"Mmmathis.  Harlan Mathis,"  he stammered out.

"Hum?  Never heard of you.  But I bet you've heard of me,"  Joshua said, the unamused smile never leaving his face.  

Now Harlan was confused.  And a little worried.   Who was this man?  He wasn't no lawman he was sure about that.  But he spoke and walked with an arrogant confidence of somebody who was either with the law or on the other side of it.  "Who are you mister?"  

"Well my friends call me Heyes."  The smile disappeared.  " Only my mother called me Hannibal."

Evangeline was stunned.  What was he doing?  What did he hope to accomplish by making up such a tale?  Did he hope to intimidate Harlan by making him believe he was an outlaw?  Joshua let's just go.  She silently begged.

"You?  Are Hannibal Heyes?"  Harlan looked skeptically at the cold eyed man in front of him.  "And that other fella?"

"Oh that's my cousin.  You've probably heard of him too.  Jed Curry?  But his friends call him Kid."

Harlan began to nervously scan the surrounding area, expecting a shot to plug him in his chest any second.  

"Ah, relax.  He's not here.  Yet.  He'll be along later.  I thought you and me should get better acquainted before I introduce you to him.  See, he's not nearly as nice as I am.  In fact sometimes he can get down right mean.  And you know what makes him madder than an old wet hen?  When a man mistreats a lady.  And from the looks of it I'd say you like hitting ladies."

"Maybe some ladies need hittin'."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

140 3 10
When Emma Harte, a pretty, late blooming, slightly nerdy teen girl who has never shared her first kiss, decides to help her not-brother James, the ul...
Fire Dragon By Recklis

Mystery / Thriller

138K 7K 25
(NON-TEEN)* Declan O' Brien was one of Sphinx's top agents. Young, alone and in trouble with the law, they're his only chance at any kind of life...
300K 13.6K 19
Cole Weston had lost everything he'd ever loved and for ten long years he's wandered. First as a tracker then as a bounty hunter until a small town c...
500K 30.9K 33
An Outlaw's Silence (Wyatt's Story) ***Only a handful of people in Wyatt's life ever given a darn about him-because of that, Wyatt is extremely loya...