Sword of The Lanterns

By Lizardgurl

Jaina is an human alien. No one, not even the Guardians of the Universe, know where she is from. And she can'... More

Prologue
Chapter One- Chosen
Chapter Two- Oa
Chapter Three- Training
Chapter Four- Killawog
Chapter Five- Sword
Chapter Six- Meeting the Team
Chapter Seven- Touring the Clubhouse
Chapter Eight- Violet Blade
Chapter Nine- What's a "Mall"?
Chapter Ten- Crazy
Chapter Eleven- Training
Chapter Twelve- The Force
Chapter Thirteen- First Mission
Chapter Fourteen- Tamba
Chapter Fifteen- Silver
Chapter Sixteen- Family and Friends
Chapter Seventeen- School
Chapter Eighteen- Handstands
Chapter Nineteen- Cocky
Chapter Twenty- A Disturbance In The Force
Chapter Twenty-One- Brothers
Chapter Twenty-Two- Shadows
Chapter Twenty-Three- Innovation
Chapter Twenty-Four- B-88
Chapter Twenty-Five- Date Night
Chapter Twenty-Six- Life Day
Chapter Twenty-Seven- Star Sapphire
Chapter Twenty-Eight- Mines
Chapter Twenty-Nine- Sinestro
Chapter Thirty- Finding
Chapter Thirty-One- Holidays
Chapter Thirty-Two- Snow
Chapter Thirty-Three- Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might...
Chapter Thirty-Four- ...Beware My Power...
Chapter Thirty-Five- ...Green Lantern's Light!
Chapter Thirty-Seven- Found.
Chapter Thirty-Eight- Decisions
Chapter Thirty-Nine- Goodbye...For Now
Dedication + Fanart

Chapter Thirty-Six- What Comes Next?

2K 94 54
By Lizardgurl

I love how Hal Jordan baisically comes back from the dead in New 52 and his first thought is "Lol I can't wait to see the look on Batman's face when he's sees I'm still alive"

Also, here are close-ups of my pics from the last chapter:

And lol yes the title is another Hamilton reference YJistotallyawesome

"Okay. Let me get this straight;" Mal paced back and forth in front of Connor, Megan, Zatanna, and Jaina. Behind him were Wendy, Marvin, Karen, and Lisa, and behind Jaina was the rest of her teammates and their two little civilian friends, Louisa and Victor, who watched the whole interaction with great amusement.

"You're all superheroes!?" Karen interrupted, shoving in front of her boyfriend.

"I've been giving skateboarding lessons to Green Lantern's daughter!?" Marvin shrieked.

"Not really," Jaina bit her lip.

"You can change form!?" Wendy asked M'gann

"You're a magician!?" Lisa asked Zatanna.

Mal held up his hands for silence.

"You- well, yeah, they covered everything I wanted to ask." Mal chuckled weakly.

"I'm Superman's clone and my mentors have forbidden me from joining the football team so that's why I don't play." Connor growled, his eyes still glowing red from the ring he still wore.

M'gann twirled her hair around her finger, holding her staff behind her back. "I'm Martian Manhunter's neice, and...sometimes I use my telekinesis to help me with some of the more...difficult cheer routines." She admitted to Karen and Wendy. She couldn't tell if they seemed to mind or not.

"I'm the daughter of Zatara, so yes, I can do magic." Zatanna snapped her fingers for display. "Though it seems to all be pink, now."

Jaina laughed a little. "I'm not exactly Green Lantern's daughter, but he is my mentor and I have the same powers as him."

"But now we all seem to." Robin spoke up, holding out his hand with the yellow ring on his finger. "What's up with that?"

Wally made his own suggestion, but his mouth was so full of old Oreo cookies that not even Artemis understood him.

Jaina simply shrugged, but her ring started to vibrate.

"Jay!" Instead of Hal, a hologram of Guy's head appeared, generated by Jaina's ring. "Are you okay? Where are you? We lost track of your signal too! The Watchtower's all patched up now, so we can come and get you-"

"Woah, woah, woah! No worries, Guy, we got it covered. In fact, we're headed back in the bioship right now."

"Oh. Okay then," Guy sounded slightly disappointed that he wouldn't get to pull the big-brother rescue stunt.

"Wait, is that Jaina?" Half of Hal's face took over the hologram, shoving Guy for a position to talk to Jaina.

"You're sure he's not your dad?" Martin asked. Jaina punched him in the arm, which hurt a lot more than usual.

"Here," M'gann pointed her staff at him, and it glowed with a purple light. It faded away, and he was wearing a purple splint.

"It's me, Hal. I'm fine. Don't worry," She said with a smile.

"We all are."

A few minutes later, the bioship was docked in the Watchtower's bay, right next to Jaina's broken-down ship. Martian Manhunter took Marvin and Wendy to the med wing, Wonder woman and Black Canary took Victor and Louisa back home to Tamba. Batman and the Green Lanterns confronted the team.

"Don't look at me, I had nothing to do with it." Raquel insisted.

"How did you all manage to receive lantern rings, each from a different corp?" John asked.

"It just happened! They were all trapped, and the Shadows had me cornered and they said that they wanted to send me back because apparently I interfered with their plans or something but I told them no because they were gonna make me forget about all of you and suddenly all the rings in all the colors of the corps were blasting into the place!" Jaina waved her arms for emphasis.

"Oh, and they managed to blow up their own base, too." Wally added.

Hal paced back and forth. "The odds of all these different rings- and staff- requiring a new corp member at the same time is extremely high-"

"Since when did we listen to the odds?" Jain asked her mentor. He ignored her.

"Ganthet mentioned this to me. If the need arises, several rings will join together to defeat a greater evil, often giving up their original host temporarily to find a host that is better suited to helping their need."

"What sort of greater evil?" Batman asked.

John, Hal, and Guy all glanced at each other. 

"In the incident we were told about, they  had to fight against-"

"The Black Lanterns." Jaina finished. "The Lanterns of Death."

John nodded, hardly surprised. "Yeah, them."

"Silver had a black ring. One of his associates, Tamith Kai, you could just feel the death radiating off of her, and Vilas was so unfeeling and silent, unlike his partners. It was like he was a walking corpse, and I felt that he was purely being held together by his hatred." Jaina explained.

"But they all blew up when their base exploded, right?" Wally asked. 

Guy chuckled. "You really are dense, aren't you, Kid? The Black Lanterns embody death. They're already dead. You can't kill them again."

"Oh." Wally shivered, and Artemis squeezed his hand.

"However, you have driven them off for now, and since the occasion has passed, the rings should return to their masters and their corps, after you do one more thing." Hal explained, pulling Aqualad forward. He held up Superboy's ring arm, pointing out the red veins spreading from the ring's resting spot.

"When a red lantern ring imprints itself on a host, it takes over the functions of the heart and literally becomes the new Red Lanterns' new heart. The only way to remove it safely is through a Blue Lantern ring, so if you wouldn't mind, Aqualad. Don't worry, the ring will take care of the rest." John explained.

He was right. Kaldur only had to point his ring at Connor and it created a bright blue bubble that enveloped Connors hand and evaporated the ugly red veins at the touch. After Connor's ring was free, everyone's ring- and M'gann's staff- floated off of their hands, hovering in front of them as the lantern-ized versions of their costumes faded away. In one second, they were burning in a bright, white light. Then they were gone.

"You know, the only thing that can truly defeat the Black Lanterns are the White Lanterns." Hal said, staring at the space where the implements had been floating a moment ago.

"Lemme guess, they're the Lanterns of life." Robin said.

Hal chuckled and slung his arm around Jaina's shoulder. Of course, she'd been able to keep her ring. "How'd you guess?" he asked the boy wonder.

"It's too bad we couldn't keep them, though. I really liked the pink bow." Zatanna sighed.

"Gotta admit, having an endless supply of arrows was pretty sweet." 

"Eh, the costume was kinda cool. And it was much more breatheable than my usual spandex." Wally agreed with Artemis.

Jaina lightly punched Kaldur's shoulder. "You were looking pretty cool too, in your Blue Lantern get up."

Kaldur shrugged. "No more than you look every day, I suppose."

Jaina blushed, fully aware that no comment on her appearance had ever caught her attention like this before.

Lisa tapped Jaina on the shoulder. "You know, since you're a superhero and all, think you can get me Robin's phone number?"

Jaina momentarily glanced over at the boy wonder, who was watching at the former temporary violet lantern.

"Actually, Lis, I think he's got someone."

-------

After that, things were strangely back to normal. For the team, anyway. 

Batman and the Justice League got Mal, Karen, Wendy, Marvin, and Lisa back home before Christmas, and all kept to their promise and told the officers that they couldn't remember anything before being found by the League. When nothing wrong could be found with them mentally, emotionally, or physically, the police dropped the case. 

Instead of waking up early Christmas morning, as Wally and Robin had planned, the team slept in, sprawled together over the living room couches in the glow of the Christmas tree lights. They woke up around three in the afternoon when all their mentors came to have a celebratory Christmas dinner. Wally introduced everyone to his parents and his aunt Iris, John brought Shayera, Hal brought Carol, and Aquaman escorted Kaldur's parents to the surface world.

"Jaina, I should like you to meet my parents: Sha'lain'a and Calvin Durham."

Sha'lain'a was gorgeous, tan skin, a flowing dress, and eyes and hair the same hue as Kaldur's. Her respectful, kind demeanor is obviously the biggest part of herself that she had passed down to her son. Calvin was strong and dark, just like Kaldur, and both were very excited to meet Jaina.

"He speaks of you often in his messages," Sha'lain'a told Jaina.

"He does? What does he say?" Jaina asked, quickly glancing Kaldur. He promptly turned red as Sha'lain'a and Calvin winked at each other, and no more was said on the subject.

Once even Wally was full, everyone moved back to the living room for opening presents. 

Wally got five different kinds of science kits, Artemis stopped opening the rest of her presents after she got a first-edition copy of "Alice in Wonderland" from her boyfriend, and Megan poured over the cookbooks she'd received, 

All except for Jaina, that is. She snuggled between Wally and Robin, holding them tight as she stared at the tree.

"You will never find peace!"

Brakiss's threat haunted her as she tried to discern its meaning. Anakin, of course, couldn't tell her.

She sighed at the disappointed and torn look on his face. She knew he wanted to tell her, but he was physically unable to reveal that information to her.

"I know. It's fine," she said with a weak smile. That night, she fell asleep in the shelter of her ghost-mentors arms. It was the best she'd slept in a while.

Out of all her Christmas presents, her favorites were a skateboard from Marvin, a guitar from Hal and Carol for her school classes, and a file from the team, containing nothing but photographs and videos of her time with them so far. She managed to download it to her phone and her ring, that way, if she ever forget again, at least she'd have a way to remember again too.

She went to Tamba, watching over Louisa and Victor as they skipped back to their classes after New Years started up again. Being kidnapped twice in their lives was two times too many for any child, Jaina knew. 

Soon, it had been exactly six months since Jaina had been found by Hal and John in her crash site on the moon.

Jaina was happy.

------

"Is it her?"

"Yes."

"You're sure?"

"For the love of the force, I'm her mother! Of course I know!"

"Okay, okay your worship. I love you."

"I know."

-------

The laughter died down and Wally reached for another handful of assorted chips.

"My turn! Okay, who'd win in a fight: Batman or Superman?"

"Batman." Robin said immediately.

"Superman!" Connor insisted at the same time.

"Who's hotter: Wonder Woman, Black Canary, or Hawkwoman?"

"Aquaman. That salt water does wonders for the skin complexion." Kaldur found himself agreeing with Jaina on Robin's question, and the rest of the team was soon to follow.

"Okay, Stop me if you've heard this one. Why does Superman scream in-"

"We've heard that one!" Everyone shouted at Wally. 

Raquel surveyed everyone from her seat on the couch. "I'm just sayin', but I have the most creative superhero name out of all of you." She said suddenly.

"What do you mean?" Artemis asked.

"I mean you've got names like Superboy, which basically de-ages the name, or stuff like Miss Martian, which just genderbends your mentor's name."

"What about me? I didn't base my code name off of my mentor!" Robin bragged.

"Yeah, you got stuck with it because of your singing voice." Wally chuckled. No one saw Robin leaped through the air and come down, tackling Wally to the ground.

Jaina shook her head at the brotherly friends. "Well, what would you re-name me, Raquel?"

"Hmmm...Raquel stared at her for a long time. "Stargirl."

Jaina made a face. "Not really my thing. How about something like..."Sword of the Jedi" She spread her arms for presentation.

Everyone stared at her in silence.

"Where did that one come from?" Wally asked.

"I don't know, it just came to me." Jaina shrugged.

"Let's stay with Stargirl." Artemis suggested.

"No!" Jaina said decisively.

The PA above crackled with static, and they all jumped to their feet at attention.

"Team, report to the mission room. You have an assignment."

Wally dusted the crumbs off his pants, and in the blink of an eye he was wearing his uniform. "I guess evil never rests, does it?"

"No, it certainly does not." Kaldur agreed.

"Well, come on, Stargirl."

Wally broke into a run before Jaina could catch him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

227K 8.1K 37
The Batman, the dark knight of Gotham, a founding member of the Justice League...and after all this time they STILL don't even know his name! In thi...
9.1K 688 57
Wally's gone. Richard's gone. Willow's gone. Emma is too afraid of anyone else leaving her. Finding her home, her old life, and being asked a cer...
30.5K 1.5K 40
"I name you the Sword of the Jedi. You are like tempered steel, purposeful and razor-keen. Always you shall be in the front rank, a burning brand to...
2.3K 64 7
The greatest sacrifice known to man, led to an adventures new life to another. 5 years have passed since the attack of the Light and the disappearanc...