I'm The Alpha's Challenge

由 juiceboxbrat159

Highest- #129 in Werewolf With a father who beats her at home, a sister who bully's her at school, a mother... 更多

New comers
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60 Josh POV
61 Josh POV
62 Josh POV
63 Josh POV
64
65
66
67
67
68
69
70
71
72
Chapter 1 (josh POV)
Josh POV chapter 2 bonus
bonus chapter (Levis story)
levis bonus part 2

Cormac Bonus

10.1K 153 16
由 juiceboxbrat159

Cormac

I trudged down the dirt path, my head pounding. I could still hear the child's screams as Dr. Moore prepared to give her the vaccine. Desperate to make the child stop, I had begun making faces behind the Doctor's shoulders, earning the giggles of the child. But as soon as the alcohol wipe touched her skin, she had begun to wail again.

It had been a long day. Vaccine after vaccine. School was coming up, and the children had to have their shots. All I wanted to do was take a hot shower, enjoy a good meal, and then climb into the empty bed.

I bristled at the thought, rubbing my temples to keep the headache at bay. My two younger sisters had already found their mate by now. Pretty soon, Kyler would too. He was fourteen. And I would be left alone. I was twenty-two for goodness' sakes. It was past time to find my mate. If I even had one. The way my sisters looked at their husbands... I wanted that. I wanted a woman to look at me that way, to hold her in my arms.

I shook my head of the thoughts as I passed through town, heading for the path in the woods that would lead to the pack house. A lone bar sat on the outskirts of town, but I had no desire to go to it.

I was suddenly aware of soft, almost silent footsteps behind me. My steps faltered, but I resisted the urge to turn around. The breeze blew in from behind, bringing the person's scent straight to me.

That was when I stopped dead.

The smell was... heavenly. Granted there was the scent of old smoke, whiskey, and cheap perfume mixed in, but there was an undertone of... magnolia. Sweet smelling magnolia trees. Southern magnolia. Surely it couldn't be...

"You gonna stand there all day lookin' like an idiot, or're ya gonna turn around and talk ta me?" A female voice snapped, her tone littered with sarcasm.

I turned slowly, resisting the urge to jump up and down in joy. She stood there, her bare arms crossed on her chest, her hip popped out. Fiery red hair curled around her shoulders, making her forest green eyes seem brighter. The way she looked at me, though... it was definitely not how I had imagined my mate would look at me.

Her outfit drew my attention further to the curves of her hips. My heart tightened in my chest and anger rose in my throat. A tight black, lacey tube top clung to her chest for dear life, and a pencil skirt barely covered what should be covered. Fish net stocking hugged her legs, disappearing inside knee-high black high-heeled boots. Leather gloves covered from her hands to her elbows, but the dressing was quite clear, as well as her glare.

"You can stop gawkin'," she rolled her eyes, shifting her weight to stand straight up, but her arms remained crossed. I noticed a small clutch purse gripped in her right hand. "Couple more seconds and I'll hafta charge ya."

Rage coursed through me and I ground my teeth together. "You needin' somethin', ma'am?" I asked as kindly as I could.

Her eyes visibly widened at my accent that matched hers. Then, her eyes narrowed. "Name's Dusty. Dusty McLane."

"Nice ta meet ya, Miss McLane." I forced out, dreading to use her real name. I knew that once I had a taste, I wouldn't be able to let go. The girl obviously held disdain already.

She rolled her eyes. "Call me Dusty, will ya? There ain't no need fer this 'miss' crap. I need somethin', and yer gonna give it ta me."

"I'm sorry?" I said, raising an eyebrow.

"I know what you are," she hissed, leaning forward and lowering her voice

I stepped back in shock. She was human... there was no way she could know. I furrowed my eyebrows, shaking my head in disbelief. "I'm afraid I don't know what ya mean, ma'am. My name is Cormac Miller. That's who I am."

She shook her head, stepping closer. We were hardly inches apart, and I fought to keep myself in check. This girl already irritated me to no end, but I still yearned to take her in my arms. I had finally found her. My mate. "I know what you are..." she said, and then smiled cunningly, "wolf boy."

I stiffened. "I still don't know what—"

"Save it, Mr. Miller," she spat. "I ain't wantin' much. Just somethin' small."

"Ma'am..."

"Cormac." She said, her smile daring.

A shiver ran down my spine at the sound of my name on her lips, and I knew I was hooked in that very instance. "What?" I sighed. "What do ya want?"

Her smile evened out and as she rocked back on her heels, her arms finally came undone. I glanced away from her dipping neckline, suddenly wishing her arms were still crossed. I needed to focus. This could end badly. Not for me, but for the pack as well. But with her hands on her hips like that... she did look mighty pretty.

"I want ta become one a you."

She couldn't have surprised me more if her hair had caught fire.

I stuttered, stumbling over my words. "What?" I finally choked out, blinking to make sure this was indeed real. If I had heard her right. One of us? Why would she possibly... she didn't even know me, let alone have feelings for me... not yet. So that didn't explain why she wanted to be a wolf. I just didn't understand.

She rose up on her toes, her smile shining. "So take me ta yer pack, or Alpha, or leader, or whatever."

Josh was not gonna be happy. *spoiler sentence omitted* an outsider... threatening our pack? I knew he wouldn't let her into the pack... not right away. "I ain't gonna be able ta do that, Dusty."

She frowned, and her eyes hardened. The stubborn set of her jaw told me she wasn't going down without a fight. "I'll follow ya anyways. I've made up my mind. I'm gonna be one a y'all."

"I don't think that's such a good idea..."

Her eyes narrowed in a deathly glare. "Don't make me blackmail you, Cormac. I will. I've made up my mind. I want ta be a part a yer pack."

I scowled, but at the same time, awe rose in my stomach for the stubbornness of this girl—of my mate. I found it oddly attractive, but at the same time, very much infuriating. I stepped up to her, my hands curling into a fist. I wouldn't hurt her, but frustration was indeed building. "Do you know how easily," I hissed, my canines sharpening, "I could kill you right now?"

I would never, but I was trying to scare her off. Scare her away from her decision. Let me get to know her, sweep her off her feet and fall in love with her. This was all backwards.

Her eyes only hardened and her lips pressed together. "That was option number two, anyways." She snarled, an emotion flashing through her eyes that I didn't quite catch. "So go right ahead. Go on. Bite me."

Oh, I could bite her, but not in the way she had in mind. How I could just kiss her right now... I held myself back. That was option number two anyways. "What if I refuse?" I replied calmly. Option two. Did she plan to...? I shuddered at the thought.

"Then ya won't be seein' much a me, will ya?" She replied, her jaw clenching, and her shoulders shook.

"You wouldn't really..." I trailed off, the look in her eyes telling me she would. The hair on the back of my neck stood. "I give no promises. I'll take ya ta see Josh, but I ain't promsin' ya nothin'."

Her eyes brightened for a millisecond. "Really?" she cleared her throat. "I-I mean, I know."

I turned on my heel before I did something I shouldn't, and continued down the path. Soon, I heard her soft footsteps follow me. "How did ya find out?" I forced myself to ask.

She sighed softly. "I get off... work... around this time, and I've seen ya walkin' home. And one day you just... changed. At first I didn't believe it, but the next day I followed you a little farther, and ya did it again. I mean, I never knew yer name or nothin', but..."

"I really need ta be more careful," I breathed irritably at myself. "But tell me... why?"

There was silence for a minute, and I sensed I had struck a nerve. "I've got my reasons."

I glanced over my shoulder to find her looking elsewhere, the expression on her face tight. I turned back, deciding not to push it. I knew very well that I could shift, run and lose her, but she was too persistent for that. She'd go looking for me, or... something worse.

She was silent, following me without a word to the pack house. I heard Iya squeal before I even got to the porch, and I prayed Dusty couldn't hear her. Before I knew it, Dusty was standing just beside me, her jaw clenched. I was just about put my arm around her, but stopped myself.

The front door flung open. "Corm!"

I scowled, breathing out a growl. "Coffeeblue..." I warned. "It ain't what ya think." Well it was, but it wasn't.

She stopped a few feet away from us, her eyebrows drawing together. Her lower lip stuck out in a pout. "It's not?"

"Well..." I shrugged. "Not really."

She squealed again, running up and wrapping her arms around my neck. She pulled away before I had a chance to return the hug and turned on Dusty. Dusty's eyes widened as Coffeeblue proceeded to attack her as well, squeezing her in a tight hug.

"Coffeeblue," I said, grabbing her arm and pulling her off my mate. She looked at me, her eyebrows furrowed. I inclined my head towards the part in the trees. "Go get Josh."

She frowned, glanced at Dusty, but nodded and headed off towards the trail.

"Um..." Dusty mumbled, running a hand through her hair. She didn't look at me, but I knew her question.

"My sister," I replied, strolling towards the front door again. "If ya think she's much, ya might wanna reconsider."

She scoffed, but said nothing.

He was even cuter up close.

My jaw clenched at the thought and I tore my eyes away from him to refocus. I couldn't believe this was happening. I couldn't believe that this was happening. I had persuaded him to take me to his pack. His family.

Goodness gracious was he cute, though.

My mind drifted to the other two boys who I had thought were cute. I scowled and pushed them deep into a file marked 'NEVER TO THINK ABOUT AGAIN' and locked it firmly. I followed the broad shouldered man named Cormac up the steps to the yellow farm house. The sun was setting, and the cold was nipping at my exposed skin. I shivered, swatting at mosquitoes and cursing this uniform. Cormac glanced over his shoulder at me, his eyes traveling the length of my body. I expected to feel disgust, but instead a white hot ache flashed through my stomach at his gaze. His voice came out husky as he asked, "Ya cold?"

I shivered again. I loved his accent. It reminded me so much of home, of the good times. But home also brought back bad memories, and I put them into the file as well. "N-no," I replied defiantly, but my chattering teeth gave me away.

He rolled his eyes and shrugged off his suit jacket. "Here," he said, handing it to me. I stared at it, refusing him with my lips pressed together. He sighed. "Just take it, Dusty."

I scowled, but at the sound of my name, my fingers curled around the collar. My fingers brushed his hand, but even at the slightest contact, thousands of sparks ran up my arm. His eyes widened and a small smile lifted the corner of his lips. I gasped at the shock, quickly pulling my hands, and the jacket, away. He chuckled under his breath. Sneering at him, I pulled on the jacket, secretly welcoming the rush of warmth and the scent of him that it brought. He smelled a bit of cologne, but mostly of the whole scent of the forest, and I found that I loved it.

He opened the door, holding it open as a smirk crossed his face. "Ladies first."

I swallowed a smart comment and hesitantly passed through the threshold.

"Cormac!" A girl squealed, jumping up and down, and clapping. Cormac sighed behind me. A man grabbed the girl's waist, nuzzling her neck while whispering in her ear. She giggled, and my stomach knotted at the sight of two of them.

"Iya... Jesse..." Cormac almost growled. "This is Dusty. Dusty, this is Iya and Jesse, my little sister and her husband."

"Yey!" The girl, Iya, said, pouncing on me just like the other one did. I didn't move as her arms wrapped around me, but she was pulled off by the man not long after. Jesse stuck a hand out, and I reluctantly grasped it—just for a second before I dropped it again.

If this was the pack...

Cormac stepped forward, grasping Iya's arm and muttering something to them both. Iya frowned, glancing to me and then back to her brother. Suddenly, the sound of a baby wailing erupted through the house. I stiffened, my heart clamping in my chest. "Where's Coffeeblue?" Iya asked Cormac, her eyes wide.

"I sent her to go get Josh." Cormac replied, shrugging.

Iya smirked. "Well then I guess it's yer turn ta go get Cole."

Cormac's shoulders slumped and he blew out a breath. "Fine. Just don't scare her off, will ya?"

"No promises," Iya answered as Cormac disappeared into another room. I stood there awkwardly, my hands handing limply by my side. "So where're ya from, Dusty?"

I bristled even at the simple question. "A small town in Mississippi."

"Well that explains the accent." Iya smiled warmly.

"Yea..." I said awkwardly, pushing my hair behind my ear. I felt them study my outfit, but neither said a word.

Cormac soon returned, holding a small bundle in his arms. Tears prickled in my eyes at the beautiful baby boy, but I held them back, lifting my chin as I clenched my jaw. He smiled down at him, coming to stand beside me. Although the baby was wrapped in a blanket, he wiggled his hands free and clutched at the empty air. The boy stared as Cormac made silly faces at him, but his tiny fingers curled around one of his. Smiling, Cormac lifted his head to gaze at me. "This is baby Cole, my nephew." He said. "Do ya wanna hold him?"

I stepped back, staring wide eyed at the innocent creature. "N-no. I'm good. Th-thanks."

Memories stirred at the sight of the child and I fought to keep them down.

Cormac took a step forward, and I took another step back. "Dusty, are ya alright?"

"F-fine," I growled. Staring at that little boy, my heart broke all over again and the pain—that pain I could never forget—returned in my abdomen. Instinctively, I clutched at my stomach, missing what had once been there.

"Nevermind, Cormac," I found myself saying. "I-I—"

I spun around back to the door to find it already open and a man standing in the doorway. He gripped my upper arms, and, as I stared into his dead blue eyes, said, "Where do ya think yer goin'?"

Josh's grip on my mate made a growl rise in my throat. Dusty ripped out of his grasp, hissing, "Don't touch me!"

I couldn't help the pride that swelled in my chest at her defiance. I stepped forward, grabbing her arm while keeping the child tucked in my chest. Welcoming the sparks at our touch, I pulled her out of the alpha's way. She shot me a glare over her shoulder and I released her reluctantly. "Josh, this here's Dusty. We all got a lot ta talk about."

Coffeeblue squeezed by Josh, her eyes dead set on her child in my arms. I handed him over without complaint, though Cole began to squabble again. "He was crying," I told her. "But stopped when I picked him up."

She smiled, kissing her son's forehead before looking at me. "Thanks, Cormac. He's probably hungry."

She disappeared with the baby and I turned my attention back to Josh. He looked uncomfortable being around this many people at once. Honestly it was the first time I had seen him in a while. Dusty was staring him down, her face twisted in a fierce scowl. As soon as he looked at me, his shoulders began to shake and his eyes narrowed. "What is it, Cormac?" He asked, his voice tight, and I knew he was fighting back emotions

But now, I couldn't blame him.

I hardly knew her, but I still couldn't image her just leaving. *spoiler sentence omitted*

"Josh..." I said. "This is Dusty. She wants to be a part of our pack."

Josh's eyes widened, and for the first time, a light sparked in them. "What?" he said angrily. "Cormac, you had no right ta tell her about us. You can't go around spreadin' our secret even if she is yer—"

"Josh," I growled, interrupting him before he told her something I wasn't ready to admit. "I didn't tell her."

"I found out myself!" Dusty snapped. "Smarter than I look, ain't I?"

Josh turned to glare at her. As he took a step forward, so did I, growling as I stood in front of my mate. "I was careless," I snarled, "and I shifted before I got to the trees. She happened to see. It was my fault."

"I ain't lettin' no stranger into my pack. I ain't takin' that risk, Cormac!" Josh's voice rose, but it was one of the first times I had actually seen him show any emotion other than sadness.

"Then let me prove myself." Dusty insisted, pushing me to the side to face Josh. "Let me prove y'all's trust. I already know yer secret. There ain't nothin' ya can do about that."

A smile pulled at my lips. I stepped up to Josh, lowering my voice to where I knew she couldn't hear it. "Ya know very well, Josh, more than anyone here, that a wolf can't be without his mate." His eyes darkened with anger, but I continued. "She is my mate, Josh, and ya can't keep us apart. She don't know nothin' about mates yet, but she will. Ya might as well take the offer, cuz sooner er later, she'll be stayin' with us.

"She's just like Danny, Josh. Only this time, she already knows."

Josh lashed out, grabbing the fabric of my collared shirt. "Don't you ever compare anyone ta Danny." He said, his voice a pure growl. His canines sharpened and his eyes darkened as his whole body began to shake. "No one can compare ta her!"

"I know, Josh." I growled, pushing him away. "We all know."

His fists curled by his sides, and I knew he was about to strike me. I backed away from him, my shoulder brushing Dusty's. "Let her have a chance, Josh. I'll keep her in check."

"Keep me in check?" Dusty snarled.

"Hush," I snapped, barley glancing at her before turning back to Josh. "I'll make sure she don't tell no one."

"Fine," Josh growled. "But ya can't Turn her. Not without my permission."

"Understood."

Josh turned on his heel, scowling and slammed the door behind him.

"Did I miss everythin'?" Coffeeblue asked sadly as she walked back into the room.

Dusty stiffened beside me and I fought the urge to wrap my arms around her. I remembered the fear and hurt in her eyes as soon as I had brought Cole into the room.

"That... was... INTENSE!" Iya said, throwing her hands up in the air.

"Okay, it's bedtime," Jesse muttered, taking his wife by the waist and beginning to drag her to the stairs.

"But I ain't tired!" Iya pouted.

Jesse kissed her jaw, trying to whisper in her ear, but I still heard it. "Even better."

Iya blushed and bit her lip. "Ya know, on second thought, I am awfully tired."

Together, they ascended the stairs.

Dusty shook beside me as she sucked in a deep breath. Reluctantly, I brushed her arm to get her attention. She turned her deep green eyes on me, and I caught a troubled look before her normal mask came back on. "What?"

"Ya want me ta take ya home now?" I asked hesitantly.

She frowned, glancing out the window. "It's awfully late."

It was like she was reading my mind. "We have an extra room ya could stay in—just until mornin', a course."

She sighed, her shoulders dropping. "I really should go back... but I'd be lyin' if I said he'd be worried 'bout me."

"He?" I tried to swallow the growl.

She glanced up at me. "Rob. My... 'boyfriend'."

I ran a hand through my hair. Of course. Of course she had a boyfriend. And she lived with him. "I'll take ya home then." I said through clenched teeth, starting for the door.

"Nah," Dusty said. "He don't care about me."

She sighed under her breath, "He just keeps me so he don't hafta pay."

A growl ripped through my chest. "Then stay here."

"And if I refuse?" She said, using my same words.

I turned on her, scowling. "Then I might just hafta make ya stay. Since I won't be drivin' ya home anytime soon."

"I'll walk." She said.

"I'll fetch ya back." I shot.

"Steal yer car."

"Not without the keys, darlin'."

Her eyes widened at the pet name, but she shrugged. "Ever hotwired a car, Cormac?"

"No..."

"Well, then I guess I've got the advantage, don't I?" She smiled, chuckling.

I laughed. "I guess so."

Her smile hovered on her lips for a moment, gazing at me before she suddenly looked down. Brushing her hair behind her ear, she opened the clutch purse and pulled out an old cell phone that flipped open. When she did open it, the screen lite up and showed the time. But behind it, in the background, was a picture. It was of two girls, one of them I recognized to be Dusty. But she was younger. Much, much younger. She had her arms around the neck of an older woman, beaming at the camera. The woman had fiery red hair much like the girl beside me, but hers was straighter, countering Dusty's curls. The woman smiled modestly, laughter in her dark green eyes. They both seemed happy, but something was off. The light that was in that younger girl's eyes... it was no longer there.

Dusty snapped the phone shut, cutting off my view, and shoved it back into the purse. "No one's messaged me askin' if I've been kidnapped, so I guess no one cares."

She turned to me expectantly, her eyes hard again. "Well?"

As soon as I spoke, his lips dipped into a frown. The thought of going home to Rob made me shudder. I knew I was using him, and that he was using me, but I couldn't find myself to care. I had no desire to be near that man, to let him touch me again—whether it is passionate or not. Although I was a little angry at Cormac for standing up to the man (I could have taken care of myself), I couldn't imagine him dropping me off at my apartment building. Knowing him, he would probably insist on walking me up. And that was the scary thought.

"C'mon," he said, nodding towards the hallway to the left of the room. He turned and started towards it without another word. His shoulders were tight and he slipped his hands into his pockets. With a blush I was suddenly again aware of his jacket that weighed down my shoulders. We passed an opening that lead downstairs before he finally stopped in-between two doors. Both were closed and were only a foot apart. He gestured to the one farther away. "That's my room, so if ya need anythin', I ain't far away."

His lips pressed together tightly, he leaned forward to open the door closest to me. "And this is your room..."

"Thanks," I said honestly, fingering the collar of the jacket. "Do ya want it back?"

He stared at me for a moment, his jaw clenching. He shook his head but grasped the openings of the coat. To my surprise, he buttoned up the first one, and I had no desire to push him away. He sat back on his heels, a little more relaxed than before. "Nah," he said, his voice oddly strained. "I'll just get it tomorrow mornin' 'fore I go ta work."

"Are ya takin' me ta work tomorrow too?" I asked, scowling and remember his words. I'll keep her in check.

Again, he surprised me by laughing. "If yer talkin' about takin' ya ta the office with me, I doubt it. But takin' ya ta yer 'work'? That's definitely not gonna happen."

"So what?" I spat, not really wanting to go back to the bar, but furious that he's making that choice for me. "Yer just gonna keep me here like yer little pet?"

He shrugged. "Probably. I've gotta keep an eye on ya, babe."

A shudder ran through me. Babe.

"Sorry, babe. You're on your own." His voice echoed in my head and I pushed it down again. I flickered my gaze up to glare at Cormac. "Don't call me that." I growled, pushing him aside to slip into the room.

"Sorry..." he breathed, caught off guard. "But this whole pack thing is a lot more serious than ya think, Dusty."

"I know, I know." I breathed angrily. "Y'all are worried I'll go off and tell everyone about y'all. Reveal yer secret. Yea, yea, but I won't."

"Josh don't trust ya yet." He replied calmly. "He don't even have a reason why ya want ta join that pack."

I stiffened and tears pricked at my eyes. "It's personal," I whispered.

"Alright," he sighed. "Night, Dusty."

"Goodnight, Cormac." I said, closing the door on him. Undoing the button, I suddenly realized I didn't have any clothes. There was a dresser on the same wall the door was on, so I hesitantly opened it. Frowning, I sighed. Nothing. I flung my purse onto the dresser and opened the door. I knocked on Cormac's door reluctantly, but I knew I needed clothes.

The door swung open moments later, and I couldn't the small gasp that escaped my lips. He stood with his hand on the door knob, a pair of pajama pants hung low on his hips. His bare chest was what stood out to me the most. I had seen a lot of guys, but... wow. He sucked in a breath before snatching a piece of fabric from the dresser next to the doorway. He frowned once he realized it was a pair of pants and tossed it over his shoulder. "Ummm... yea?"

A white hot ache, just like the one I got when he looked at me, flashed through my stomach. I itched to touch him, to run my hand over his chest, just to make sure he was real. I held myself back, confused at this new desire. "Uhh..." I began, but my mouth couldn't form words. "Umm..."

A small smirk lifted the corner of his mouth. "Dusty?" he breathed, his voice suddenly husky. "You need somethin'?"

I scowled at the hidden meaning in his words and glared up into his eyes. I forced myself to keep eye contact with him, refusing to look down at his bare chest. "I need pajamas," I hissed bitterly.

His smirk widened. "Ya want some a my clothes?"

I groaned loudly. "Yes." I said through clenched teeth.

"Yes what?" he leaned towards me, bringing a rush of his scent along with him. Again, that desire washed through me, but this time all I could think about was kissing him. Just stepping up to him, grabbing his shoulders and pulling him down to meet me halfway. There was no way I'd be able to otherwise...

I shook the thought from my mind. I pushed past him and rolled my eyes. The floor was covered with clean and dirty clothes alike. The bed was unmade, it's light and dark blue covers folded in a mess at the end. All that was in the room was the dresser and a desk at the opposite wall of the bed. And even those were covered in photos, a computer, papers, and clothes.

"I wasn't expecting company," Cormac grumbled.

"Didn't yer mom ever tell ya ta clean yer room?" I asked, moving to sit on the bed while he dug around. He hadn't bothered to put on a shirt, and the way he moved made something in my stomach twist. The muscles in his back... I sighed to myself.

He flicked something over his shoulder, which almost hit me in the face. I caught it, recognized the thick fabric as a sweatshirt. "There's somethin'." He said, never looking back and continued to dig through a basket of clothes.

"Okay," I replied, going to take off the jacket. "I might as well give yer jacket back ta you then..."

"No!" he said, and I flinched at how fast he answered. He was frozen, staring at the clothes in his hands. "Don't worry about it."

"Why not?" I asked, struggling with the button.

He stood just as I undid it and grabbed the openings before I had the chance to take it off. "Don't." he growled huskily as he fastened the button again. His hands shook and his eyes looked darker than before.

Realization hit me. I knew that look. "So you can show yer chest, but I can't show mine?"

He glanced up at me and drew his hands away. "I'm sure you have more self-control than I do."

"Let's see," I growled, unbuttoning the jacket and shrugging it off my shoulders. His eyes darkened, but he tore his gaze from my chest to look me in the eyes.

"I'd put it back on," he said, his voice deep and husky again as he fingers twitched by his side.

But I couldn't let it go. I liked this control over him. I stepped up to him, brushing my fingers over his collar bone. "But I don't wanna..." I said sweetly, seductively, pushing his limits.

An odd sound escaped his lips. It was stuck somewhere between a groan and a growl. He closed his eyes, his face twisting in concentration. "Dusty..."

If he hadn't have said my name, I probably would've backed off. But just the way he said my name made that ache come back. I brought my other hand up to trace his jaw. "Yes, Cormac?"

His eyes shot open and he grabbed my waist. I let out a gasp at the intensity of his gaze as he pulled me to him. His hands left my waist and instead he took hold of my face. I couldn't move. His gaze held me still, but either way I didn't want to push him away. But I couldn't bring him closer either. I didn't need to. I closed my eyes, and a moment later his lips were folding over mine. My body responded before my mind could, and I wrapped my arms around his neck, kissing him back. Sparks raced through my veins, making me happier than I had been in a long time. His fingers dug in my hair and I pressed further into him. I wouldn't let this escalate, but... I could enjoy while it lasted.

Needing a breath, I pushed him ever so slightly, but he pulled away. My breath came out ragged and forced, but it matched his. "I warned ya," he breathed. "I ain't got self-control. Not with you."

Not with me? I thought, furrowing my eyebrows. Why me? If only he knew...

I pulled away further, smiling as I tugged the sweatshirt from his bed and a pair of pajama pants from his hands. "Thanks, Cormac." I said, batting my lashes as I slipped out of the door, leaving him speechless.

But as soon as I closed my door behind me, there was one thing I knew for certain.

That was the best kiss I had ever had.

I had no idea what just happened. My body was still tingling from her touch, and I knew I had kissed her too soon, but I had no idea if I had scared her off. Did she... enjoy it? What? I pressed my ear to the dividing wall. I heard her sigh softly, but nothing else.

I made my way through the mess and collapsed onto the bed with a content sigh. I closed my eyes, reliving that one perfect moment and drifted off to sleep.

I woke to the blaring sound of the alarm and also a banging on the wall.

"Turn! It! Off!" Dusty screamed. "Cormac!"

"I take it ya ain't a mornin' person then?" I replied smugly loud enough for her to hear, letting the alarm blare just to annoy her.

"Cormac!" she screeched. "I like sleep! Turn the darn thing off!"

"Do I get another kiss?" I asked, chuckling and smiling to myself.

She groaned loudly. "Just turn it off, Cormac, before I come in and turn it off for ya!"

"Go ahead!" I yelled, hooking my hands behind my head. Angry footsteps sounded, and a door slammed. I smiled as my door flew open and I sighed to myself. She was wearing my clothes, which made her smell and look like mine, and her hair was thrown up in a messy ponytail. Her bangs were brushed behind her ear, her lips twisted in a scowl, and her eyes were narrowed at me. I didn't miss when her gaze flickered down to my chest and my lips spread into a smirk. Her scowl deepened.

Without another word, she took the alarm clock from my bedside table and yanked, pulling it clean out of the socket. The blaring stopped immediately and she slammed it down on my chest with a huff. "Where's my kiss?" I pouted, sticking my lower lip out and blinking up at her.

She rolled her eyes, lashed out to grab something from my headboard, and suddenly something was obstructing my vision. "I'm goin' back ta sleep." She muttered, and I heard her retreating steps.

I tossed the shirt from my head to the ground and threw the covers aside. I jumped up from the bed and dug through the clothes for a dress shirt and pants. I pulled them on over a white t-shirt, grabbed a random tie, glided it around my neck and slipped my feet into some dress shoes. I ran my fingers through my hair and brushed my teeth before making my way to the spare room. I knocked lightly before opening it.

She lay on her stomach, her mouth dipping into a frown. She pulled the covers up over her head, groaning. "Cormac, what're ya doin' in here?!"

"Gotta get my jacket, darlin'." I replied, chucking it off the end of the bed. "And I'm pretty sure ya owe me a kiss."

To my surprise, she slide out from under the covers and stepped up to me. She placed both her hands on my shoulders and stood on her tip toes. I leaned down towards her and she placed a soft, brief kiss on my lips and pulled away. "Happy? Can I go back to bed now?" She asked, stifling a yawn.

I shook my head and kissed her again, savoring the taste of her lips. "Now ya can," I breathed when I pulled away. "When I get back, I'll take ya home."

Her eyes widened. "But I hafta get ta work too!"

"Work?" I raised an eyebrow. "That ain't work, darlin'."

"It pays," she growled.

I shrugged. "Might as well call in sick, cuz no one here's gonna take ya."

I turned and started out the door, shrugging on my jacket. I breathed in her scent, smiling to myself. "Ya could at least do yer tie!" She yelled after me.

I turned around, throwing my arms wide. "Seems my hands're full. Can't."

"Ugh!" she groaned out loud, stomping up to me. She gripped my tie, yanking on it harshly. She went through the motions fluently, flawlessly, and when she finished, she tightened it with an unforgiving jerk.

When she dropped it, I loosened it up, smirking at her. "Yikes, woman. You are definitely not a mornin' person."

"No, I ain't. Not when I get woken up before noon by a freakin' alarm." She hissed, glaring at me.

I leaned in closer, glancing down at her lips again. "And if ya... don't?"

Her eyes widened. "Go ta work, Cormac. I may or may not be here when ya get back."

"Ya better be, or I'll keep ya here again." I winked at her and closed the door behind me, breathing in her scent again.

Magnolia.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

702K 33.1K 45
♡♡#182 In Werewolf as of 6/19/2016 ( What some readers are saying about Avery.... "I can already tell this is going to be a great book" @myathesmart ...
376K 8.1K 41
Sheltered shifter Celeste runs away after disappointing her parents with another failure to secure a worthy mate bond, but she accidentally stumbles...
195K 4.6K 30
If the chapter is edited there will be a (edited) next ro the chapter number I had this wired feeling and my wolf bella was happy all of a sudden "s...
17.2K 371 14
𝑀𝑎𝑟𝑖𝑎𝑛𝑛𝑎 𝑃𝑒𝑛𝑑𝑟𝑎𝑔𝑜𝑛 𝑖𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑑𝑎𝑢𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑜𝑓 𝐾𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝐴𝑟𝑡ℎ𝑢𝑟. 𝑆ℎ𝑒 𝑖𝑛ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑖𝑡𝑒𝑑 𝑀𝑜𝑟𝑔𝑎𝑛𝑎'𝑠 𝑝𝑜𝑤𝑒𝑟, ℎ𝑜𝑤...