Wolf Tech 5

Od Wolphin5

The Academy has now been here for six years. Zane and his team joined four years before, and are nicely sett... Více

Chapter 2 - Loners
Chapter 3 - Newcomers
Chapter 4 - Puppies!
Chapter 5 - Passing
Chapter 6 - Life goes on
Chapter 7 - Finally!
Chapter 8 - More Fun and Excitement
Chapter 9 - Izzy's Turn
Chapter 10 - Challenges
Chapter 11 - Spotted
Chapter 12 - Interviews
Chapter 13 - Responses
Chapter 14 - Help
Chapter 15 - Newspaper Report
Chapter 16 - Reactions
Chapter 17 - Hidden Mates
Chapter 18 - Visitors
Chapter 19 - Reporter Reaction
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22 - Science!
Chapter 23 - Announcement
Chapter 24 - First Shift
Chapter 25 - More Mates
Chapter 26 - Visiting
Chapter 27 - Robinson's Consequences
Epilogue

Chapter 1 - Looking to the Future

5.4K 261 97
Od Wolphin5

Adam smiled as Jess and Joshua came into the office, "Right on time." He said to his (adoptive) pups, as he cuddled Brook, who was sitting on his lap, grinned in greeting.

"What did you want to talk to us about?" Jess asked. Joshua was finally done with his time at the Academy, and they were sharing the duties again. With the last two graduating, the Academy was now starting it's seventh year at the Pack.

"We wanted to see how you were doing, now that you're done the training." Brook answered.

Joshua nodded, "Glad to be back to one full time job. Having all the training along with trying to help Jess was hard. Now I know what she was complaining about." He had to grin as she swatted him for his last comment, "I am glad we got to go, as there are some ideas we would like to try out to get the pack more efficient, and save some money."

Jess nodded, "We decided to wait till we were both done before doing the changes. One change, is having one on call from noon till midnight and the other midnight till noon. Typically, we will both work days. I prefer mornings, so I will be starting at seven, and work till three, and Joshua prefers later so will work nine till five.

Adam nodded, "Works for me!"

They discussed what they were going to cover. Overall, they were in charge of the pack's buildings. The warehouse and storage areas Shana managed, and officially she reported to them, but rarely did they need to manage her.

The kitchen and common room were being run by Lupita, the Head Chef, and all they had to do to keep her happy was to make sure they didn't run out of cleaning supplies. Lupita dealt with managing the Greenhouse, garden, and getting all the food needed for the pack. Keeping the wolves fed was the largest item on their budget.

When they were done, it was time to see one of their other pups and their mate. Toby and Sam had the duty to keep them safe. Right under them was Zane, who like Adam, was a Turned-Wolf.

But where Adam had found his mate, and she had turned him at his request, Zane had been turned by a Rogue, and of the worst kind, a vesanus, which while regular rogues were insane and had lost their humanities, and usually with that their ability to shift from their wolf, a vesanus maintained a human mind, so had higher reasoning powers, but both parts were insane, and very difficult to kill. This one had taken out several werewolves, including a Next Alpha, and it ended up taking a lucky shot to distract him, a hard wallop with a staff, and still he nearly recovered before Adam could deal the deathblow of removing his head with his sword. He had shrugged off arrows and bullets.

It had taken years for Zane to recover, and even still, he occasionally came and crawled in with the Alphas for comfort. He was quite strong, both mentally, and physically. He had just passed the Spring Trials at the level that is needed for the Seconds or Alphas.  They knew him well, otherwise they would be worried he wanted to take over the pack.

Toby and Sam walked in and curled up on the couch across from them. Toby had a black eye, and when they looked at it, "Hand to Hand with Zane this morning. He got me good." They often sparred together, as it helped hone their skills, although Zane was starting to edge past them in skills. Both were now officially below him, as he had ranked higher, even though on the runs they were only a few minutes slower. They were near equal in the fighting skills. Their pack position was that above Zane, which was setting up for some interesting dynamics. The three had worked it out, and were sharing the leading workload. Although officially they were above Zane, the three work well and treated each other as equals.

Toby and Sam had quietly told Adam and Brook that they were mates, but kept it quiet till the full moon after they turned twenty, although many had thought they were. Robin and Lea had decided to announce it as well to the pack when their friends did. That was a fun moon-night.

They sat and chatted on any of the changes on the security systems or any deficiencies. They had a couple new stories of the senior students that set up challenges to keep the patrols on their toes, but this time, the patrol was onto them, and got the attackers first. They didn't realise they were training several of their were-dogs on tracking and stealth, and they captured the attackers before they even got into position to attack the patrol.

The weredogs were some huskies and other dogs, and even some wild wolves, according to the stories, that had been exposed to werewolf blood or were bitten, when the MacLaren Pack first came over from Scotland. It was in an attempt to help protect the tiny pack, as they had lost many before they found their new home. They had brought some with them when they started up this off-shoot pack, nearly eight years before.

Adam and Brook were Seconds in MacLaren Pack, but Alphas Gareth and Maria could see them showing Alpha skills, and since the pack was already stretched, before they were forced to take down one pack, and then Adam took out another Alpha, and that pack started following them, that they worked quickly to move up the slow plans to have the new packhouse built as soon as it could.

The main building was built enough that the pack could bunk together in the common room at night before the first snows, allowing even the elders and pups to move in and help finish off the packhouse together over the winter.

Adam and Brook were still chuckling when the meeting ended with the story about the counter attack, and the other two headed out.

Robin/Lea & Chris

Next in, was Robin and Lea. With them, was Chris. Robin and Lea ran the IT together, with Robin dealing more with the hardware and Lea the software and training. Chris worked with them and with Security, as he was in charge of the technology security, including the sensors, the security systems at the doors, and the security on the network.

"How's the tech working?" Adam asked, as they sat down. Chris usually didn't show up unless he had something significant to share. Usually he just forwarded quick reports.

Robin smiled, "For the most part, good. Still the rare hardware issue, or a machine glitching." He said with a shrug. "Nothing too unusual. Not catching too many eating or drinking in the computer lab."

Lea grinned ferally, "We normally take them for a good bout if they do." They both had to work hard to keep in shape, as their work mostly had them behind a computer, which was not conducive to it. "We took the idea that a good beating shows them and their animal side that they shouldn't do it. Having the shelf at the door for it works wonders, too."

Brook laughed, "How many repeat?" she was wondering if there was many that keep having to discipline.

Lea shook her head, "Rarely. If they do it again, they have escalating tasks, where we may bout longer, or have additional punishments."

Brook shook her head, "How many have had a third punishment?" They had left the punishments to them, and only had it brought up, if the person wants to have the Alphas involved. They had a reputation of inventive punishments that did the worst for each, not just a standard one, that may not really be a punishment to someone.

Lea smiled, "So far only rarely."

Brook nodded thoughtfully, before getting a feral grin that those that had been punished by them had grown to fear, "Let those that had third offences, that the next one would be mine!"

Lea shared in the grin, as the three males shared a look and a headshake. When Brook did punishments, the offender never forgot it. Especially if it was a physical one. They were lucky if they didn't need to be helped out of the challenge circle, and those that really pissed her off usually had broken limbs.

So far, neither of the Alphas had to pull out the ultimate punishment: death. That was dealt to rogues that they had found, usually as humanely as they could.

"I'm fine with that" Lea said, "I'm getting tired of finding them making a mess in the computer lab. If they want to eat and be on a computer, they can be on their laptops."

"How's the computer training going?" Adam asked Lea. She was one of the main instructors for the intro computer classes at the Academy, as they were supplying the computers and e-readers. She was the one that decided when/if they knew enough to be allowed on the internet, beyond the few "Were-only" sites that they knew of.

One of the forums was hosted in the shared servers at MacLaren. Another was maintained by a history buff in England, and he was one of the graduates from the first selection of students. He had taken much of the history that Boris had compiled, and made a website of it, and as other packs now were offering what they knew, it was growing to be huge. Last he heard, the pack had five dedicated full-time to deal with it.

Boris was gleeful, and nearly bouncing off the walls. When he heard that Adam was going to host a mirror of the site, so that the students could use it, he had suddenly shifted to his wolf, and let out a very happy howl, before bounding around, his tail nearly wagging so hard Adam thought he was trying to use it as a propeller and take off! He did hear a bit later, that he had talked Fabian into supporting the venture with some money, and since that pack was small, they were very appreciative.

"Fine. Almost done for this term. I have two that might just have to stay 'were-only' as they seem to not get it." Lea replied, exasperated. The other terms, she had been done already.

Adam nodded, and they discussed the other items they had to discuss about the network, and about what to do with obsolete equipment. Most was in good condition, but was getting older, as some was eight years old. Adam gave a few suggestions of organizations that may want it.

"Let's get on a four-year cycle, where if someone is complaining about performance after four years, just replace it. Old stuff that is still in good condition, we can donate to the lone wolves or even those not as well off." Adam suggested. "Monitor when the complaints are starting, and how old the machines are; we can use that to figure out how often we should be swapping them.

When they finished, Adam turned to Chris, "Now, what brings you to us?" he asked.

"We had three major attacks on our network in the last week. So far, they are not getting in. What is concerning, is that talking with other packs, the attacks are getting bolder and more often all across the WereNet. It seems someone is trying to break in, and from the attacks are coordinated enough that we think it is state sponsored, and includes several nations, including the US, Russia, China, from the traces we have found."

Adam sighed, "I knew this day would come eventually. We will need to start discussion for coming out then." That would take a long while, "Make sure the networks stay locked down tight, and help those that need it, as well."

Chris nodded, "Will do, and will let you know if we have more."

Adam nodded, and urged Brook off his lap, "Well, that is all we can do for now. And it is time for lunch!" he said, before heading for the door, and holding it open for everyone, as they headed down the short hall and past the open door that went into the main central hall that linked the three wings together. They were on the main floor, so instead of open balconies that ringed around the space, they had the main gathering area. It was also their dining hall during meals, although they did keep foods that didn't readily spoil out around the clock, as sometimes schedules were disrupted, and needed something at odd hours.

One wing had the main conference room, a smaller meeting room, and the Alpha's office, with their living suite beyond that. They had rooms for their assistants and pups, and could do for rooms for visiting family as well.

Another wing housed the pods that each senior beta had. They had a team that lived with them, and supported them in their duties. They were the leaders of key areas of the pack. Both Toby and Sam, and Robin and Lea had eventually formed teams. Zane had one as well. Their head chef, Guadalupe, who went by Lupita, had the first one, as it backed onto the kitchen, and even had a door into it. Her team consisted of many of the people that worked in the kitchen.

The other wing contained the Elders and the visitor rooms, as both needed to be well protected.

The second floor had the rooms for the Mid and Low Beta pods, and rooms for the Deltas that didn't belong to teams. The third floor was rooms for the rest of the pack. The Theta were the lowest in ranking, but they were the ones that were the foundation of the pack. They did the work to clean, cook, and do the other domestic duties for the pack. Some worked at jobs away from the pack, including in town at restaurants or offices. Those that worked away from the pack passed over part of their paycheck for room and board, and to support the pack. Those that worked for the pack got a stipend that was similar to what those that worked away from the pack got to keep.

Although they were officially had the rank of "Unranked", many had adopted the term Theta from some other packs, liking it better than Unranked, where it seemed they lacked a rank, or Junior, which the older wolves—usually the males—didn't like it seem they were pups. Adam was mulling over making it the official designation.

The fourth floor was bunk rooms, and individual rooms for the Academy, an elite training school that was currently residing at the pack. The pack got to influence the minds of many Were from around the world. The school only had at most 150 students at any time. The pack had decided to have each student issued with a reasonable laptop, with software needed for their classes, and an e-reader loaded with their textbooks, pack and academy rules, map of the pack, their schedule, and other details.

There was a smaller gathering room on the forth floor just for the students. It gave them a place that was away from the pack and wasn't their room, that they shared with up to five others.

The pack tended to not go up to the fourth floor unless there was a reason, or were invited out of respect from the students. Many of the students in the second year of the two-year programs, had practical training or duties with the pack.

The Alpha stream had students shadowing some of the elders or helping the Alphas, or other senior positions, if they were approved by both Alpha Adam or Brook, and by Fabian. They could turn down offers, but they could not request specific duties. The Alphas had strict standards for those that were to shadow them, and few made the mark, and usually they took only one or two each term, and they were in their final term before they did. Their program was much on leadership duties, but also on learning how to care for their pack, including getting medical training. They had to pass the level that was equivalent to being an EMT, as in a major battle, they may be needed to help packmates till a Healer could arrive, or know when one was too far gone to save, and just ease their passing.

Beta positions often shadowed or supported the patrols, as the security office was one place that they didn't have non-pack go without explicit permission. Nothing was said to the students about what was in there nor how it was laid out, as that was a highly-guarded pack secret.

Delta positions often were for those that wanted to help the pack and help protect the members as a second line of defence, or working under others, so often were paired with Deltas of the pack and helped them in their duties.

All three leadership tracks also had part of the second year that they had two or three days where they did basically every task the pack would let them, from helping scrub pots, to doing laundry, to even cleaning a bathroom.

As the Alphas told them "If you don't know what a job entails, how can you make sure the right person is there to do it?" It also allowed the future leaders know how much work their packmates with the lowest ranks were doing so that all they needed to worry about was leading them.

For those that had come with a Theta, to help them with tasks, they were also given classes on planning and time management, and even on logistics to help them know what resources they need before there was a shortage. They did get overviews of what the higher ups did, so they could anticipate their needs.

They also had classes on when and how to be assertive; when to just walk into a closed-door meeting with trays of food so the seniors could eat when a meeting went past meal times. Or when to tell them off for something they were doing. They also learned how and what to keep their mouths shut on what they learned, and how to basically support the seniors from the shadows, and be as unobtrusive as possible.

All of them, even the Theta had weapons and hand to hand fighting classes. For the Theta, it was more of how to fight someone off to get away or to help protect a pup, than for actual combat training, and as such, for them, the weapons training was optional, other than staff.

For a challenge, those Theta in their second year had to use brooms, mops, and other items that had a rod as part of their training, since it was more likely they would have those to hand instead of an actual fighting staff.

Having a mop wallop across a head or even around a sword wielding hand could actually disarm a more senior opponent, and by that time, many of the less dominant wolves were enjoying themselves learning how every day items could be used for combat. Most would do no more than protect themselves or any pups they had in their charge till actual fighters could get to them.

They also had lighter class loads, as they did have duties to the one they were supporting, even while they were learning to do it more efficiently.

*****

Zane was stalking a patrol that he thought could do with some painful reminders to always be vigilant. He was almost in position when the alert went out.

*Attention! Rogues detected at the western flank. They are within current parameter levels. Going to Yellow Status.* The penetration was enough to put the security on alert, but not enough to put the pack on lockdown. It did put the though of attacking the patrol on hold, as they went on the alert.

Zane stood and waved to the patrol who nodded after coming off their surprise; they hadn't realised he was there! Zane shifted, not worrying about his clothes, as he was the guinea pig for some new clothes that was designed to separate along Velcro seams, that would easily fit back together, without having to take them off, or his pack.

Over the pack bonds, he could feel where the nearest patrols were to the Rogues, and he took off to help them.

*****

Zane arrived just before the patrols moved into the open. The rogues were moving as if they didn't know anyone was there.

*I'm taking on-site command* Zane called out. It was easier when they had dominant wolves to coordinate multiple patrols, and it seemed this time is it. He still wasn't too comfortable about opening his mind, but every time he did it, to help coordinate everyone, it was easier every time he did it. It helped that the others welcomed him and wanted his leadership.

They watched the pack of eight take down an elk without much work, and start eating it before they even made sure it was dead. That nearly made Zane sick, as he could imagine it.

By the time they were ready and had received the go-ahead from the Alphas in the security office, a third patrol had run up. Seeing how tired and out of breath, he ordered them to stay back and catch their breath. Two more patrols were setting up a second line for if they were needed, but they didn't have time to follow, as the rogues seemed to be moving off, after only eating a little, instead of finishing their meal, acting very skittish.

Zane shifted, and took out his half-staffs, before stepping out of the treeline, flanked by one of the patrols. "You are trespassing on pack territory." He told the wolves.

The wolves just lowered their heads and growled, ears folded back, baring their teeth. It basically was a display of strength. Zane shifted to his Were form, and growled back, even though he wanted to groan, as it still felt like an anime change happening in his mind.

The lead wolf jumped at him almost immediately. They were acting like a rogue, but something was missing. He realised it just in time to avoid going for a kill with his staffs and adjust his aim, hit the wolf with the side, knocking them out, instead of snapping his neck or crushing his skull.

*They're not insane! It's a pack of Loners, not Rogues!* Zane called out very surprised. They were acting like an animal cornered, but that was not too unusual for Loners.

*Try to take them alive then.* Brook called out, *We'll try to deal with them when they are not out of their minds with fear* If they were just passing through and missed a scent marker, they would be sent on their way with an apology for the brief stay in the dungeon.

Zane turned back to the fight, not having a moment even to reply, as two were trying to get close. One he was able to take down and knock out, while the other he hit with a reflexive hit with one staff and snapped the wolf's neck.

The three patrols were holding down the other five but it was a near thing, even with two on one. Working around the snarling teeth, he wrapped them on the heads with one staff, and knocked them out. The wolves shifted to human, and started pulling out restraints, securing all four paws, and a muzzle on each, so they couldn't escape.

They all were panting a bit, and drinking from their water bottles, as a support team of the wolfdogs came up pulling sleds to transport the rogues, lead by one werewolf.

They quickly secured the wolves in the sleds and attached three of the dogs to each sled, they were off, to secure them before they woke up. Zane followed them, a bit tired, but still able to make their speed, as it was slow compared to his normal speed.

Adam and Brook met them at the cave lockup, where they secured each in the nicer cells. Each was given a second blanket, and a good chunk of meat was placed in each room for them. The rooms were solid, and there was little in them, as often items not made stoutly of metal or stone had to be replaced.

"I hope that we can calm these wolves down; I agree that they are not rogues." Brook commented.

The two bodies were placed in the cooler in Medical, awaiting to know what the others said to how they were dealt with.

*****

It ended up taking several days for the wolves to calm down enough to shift, and quite a few meals. They still refused to talk, but when they were moved for good behaviour to secured wing in the sub basement, that while still a cell, was warm, and had a virtual window tied to one of the cameras that had a good view, one finally gave their name.

That had send the wolf running for the alphas. "We found one of the 'Lost'!" Ethan blurted out when he found them in the gym. He didn't know the Lost, as all had been kicked out before he was born.

"Where?" Adam demanded. His eyes flickered with his wolf. They were down to five unaccounted for. They were presumed dead, and had been added to the pack's memorial garden three years before in a ceremony.

He immediately stepped out of the training,handing his staff off, as he followed at a run.

To Be Continued...

Author Note: I hope you like your new years gift!  We have some more fun for you as well. 

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

279K 10.5K 27
Logan Hendricks, 17, Alpha of The Moon Shard Pack starts a new school with a few pack members. He thinks it'll be a normal robot like school life. We...
192K 10.3K 32
Zane Hendricks is the youngest Alpha to have ever created a pack at the age of sixteen and has grown quite the reputation throughout the years as a f...
180K 4.9K 66
Maya is a rogue and left her pack willingly when she was 12 years old. After 6 years of living alone and being content with that, but after the 'Sapi...
25.1K 1.9K 12
Following Zane's actions to support Mark and his Pride, there was a large number of consequences for Wild Valley Pack, as they now had a pack in nort...