It's a love-hate thing

By sparklingblueeyes

Amelie and Brandon are childhood frienemies, emphasis on the ENEMY bit, but Brandon has like Amelie for years... More

Chapter 1
chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Question for readers

Chapter 11

152 3 4
By sparklingblueeyes

Chapter 11

I leaned against the bathroom door, the cool wood was refreshing on my flushed face. I was shaking, I couldn't understand why I was so sensitive over this. I took a deep breath and walked over to the mirror. My reflection was hideous, I rolled my smuged eyes. My mascara was running all down my face. I wet a tissue and tried to clean my face, I ended up cleanig off all my make-up, which wasn't much; mascara, blue eyeliner, concealer, the basics. 

    ‘Amelie?’ Brandon called through the door. I refused to answer in case of crying again ‘Amelie?!’ he persisted. I sighed

   ‘What?!’ a cry escaped my mouth, I stamped my foot in frustration, feeling over dramatic. But I was always dramatic.

   ‘Are you okay?’ he asked. He didn’t just ask that! He was such an idiot. What he expect me to say; "Yeah, hun! I'm Super de-duper! Why don't you come in here and we can do each other's hair while we tell each other all our problems like the BFFs we've never been!!!"

   ‘Oh my God! Are you serious’ I said my thoughts out loud. There was silence for a while. I thought he had gone downstairs, given up on me. I tied my hair back from my face and opened the window to let the cool breeze to brush my face, tenderly and gently, It gave me a second to catch my breath. I was starting to feel a bit better.

   ‘You still didn’t answer my question…’ I jumped. He was still there.

   ‘Yes, I’m fine’ I said walking towards the door and opened it. He stumbled into the room, he must have been leaning against the door. I walked past him and walked down the stairs. Tiger was still there. I pet his head and he followed me into the living room. I grabbed my purse and took out my phone. I checked my messages. There was one from Rose. I ignored it, I wasn’t in the mood.

There was one from Alex:

*you OK? :o*

*Don't know. Frustrated*

*Aw what he do now? :o*

*Not much just in a bad mood*

*Because of him…?*

*Yeah, I guess so…*

*I’m comin over*

*I’m still in Brandon’s house*

*I know…*

*OK then, I’ll see you soon…*

there was no point in trying to explain to her what was wrong about that.

     After a while there was a knock on the door and Alex barged in and sat beside me on the couch, not even saying "hi" to Brandon when he opened the door for her. She looked at the T.V and raised an eyebrow and grabbed the remote. She changed the channel to Friends, she knew I loved Friends. Even if she didn’t. Soon I was hysterically laughing at Ross’s tan and his counting “mississippily”! (you have to watch Friends to understand) Alex and I were nearly crying and we were doubled over we were laughing so hard. Even Brandon was laughing. Josh? He had to go to the bathroom. Repeatedly. Several times. Making us pause the T.V. Everytime. That just added to the hilarity.

   ‘Oh God! That is hilarious!’ I said between laughing. I started choking and coughing I was laughing so hard. Alex pat my back. ‘I need a drink’ I said standing, steadying myself. I brushed my clothes, getting rid of any crumbs of the cookies I’d eaten. ‘want something?’ I asked everyone, but avoiding eye contact with Brandon.

   ‘Yeah, Coke!’ Alex demanded, jokingly. I raised my eyes.

   ‘Manners!’ I slapped the back of her head.

   ‘I want…uhm... Coke-no! Club Orange-No!!! NO! I want...'

   'Joshua!' I yelled 'What do you want?!'

   'Club Orange...’ Josh said

   ‘I’m fine’ Brandon mumbled. I shrugged.

   ‘Alex, I’m gonna need a hand. Come!’ I smiled.

   ‘Ugh!’ she complained and climbed to her feet, she kicked her camofague converse aside, she had taken them off earlier ‘Fine! If I must!’ we went into the kitchen and got the drinks

   ‘Thanks for coming Al,’ I smiled

   ‘Your welcome. don’t call me that, though... 'cause, you know... it's kinda girlie...’ she complained.

    'Idiot... You are a girl! What happened to being proud to be a woman?' I handed over her drink. She laughed

   'I'm not saying I'm not proud to be a woman... I'm saying I don't wanna be called Al and be dressed as a bright pink blob.'

   'I'm kind of girlie and I don't dress like a bright pink blob!'

   'I guess so... but you're not that girlie'

   'Exactly... anyway, come on. 'We walked back into the living room. Brandon and Joshua sat up from where they were whispering, they stared at us.

   ‘What?’ I asked and turned to Alex 'Is there something on my face?' she shook her head as she took a gulp of her Coke, her eyes starting to water from the fizz.

   ‘Nothin’ don’t be so paranoid!’ Joshua said, sitting back, crossing his arms and looking back at the T.V. I sat back down beside Alex, longing for a pair of soft tracksuit bottoms to relax in.

   ‘So… who’s your favourite character?’ I asked, to nobody in particular

   ‘Chandler!’ Alex exclaimed

   ‘Joey’ Josh smiled

   ‘I don’t know’ Brandon shrugged '... Pheobe?'

   ‘I like them all, I love Friends all together,’ I smiled

   ‘That’s cheating!’ Alex laughed, I shook my head

   ‘Is not!’ I laughed ‘oh look, the ad’s over’ I said, oddly excited.

                                      *************

Let me set the scene:

It’s around three in the morning

I’m lying, awake in bed

In the pitch dark

It’s silent

No reason for me to be awake…

Except for my thinking of Amelie. Why couldn’t I sleep. It was so frustrating! It’s not like I even liked her anymore. Did I…?... Old habits die hard  I rolled over, once again. I sighed and sat up. I grabbed my phone from my locker. I played Angry Birds for what felt like two hours, then decided I would be able to sleep. I closed my eyes and at seven o’clock I was still awake. I had half an hour left to sleep. But couldn’t. I could only remember Amelie laughing the day before. How she looked so sweet. I growled in frustration. She was annoying and proud and attention seeking and… pretty and nice… sometimes. I thought. STOP! No I refuse to think the second part! I REFUSE!

     My alarm clock buzzed, the stupid tone, specifically composed to annoy people enough to wake them up. I had drifted to sleep, for twenty minutes. I looked in the mirror. I was really pale. I had very unattractive bags under my eyes. I got dressed, had breakfast and brushed my teeth and ran out side and into my car. I drove past Amelie and Joshua’s house. They were leaving the house and getting into, what I remembered as Alex’s car. I sighed and kept driving. I arrived at the school, they parked their car behind mine. I got out and walked past them, acting like nothing was wrong. Joshua ran up behind me and walked along side me.  

   ‘Hi’ he smiled chirpily... I was not in the mood for perkiness.

   ‘You’re oddly enthusiastic…’ I said, cautiously.

   ‘No, not really. It’s a school day, so…’

   ‘It is Friday though.’ I pointed out. He nodded and shrugged

   ‘Suppose, hey, you want to come over after school’ was he crazy? I hardly wanted to face Amelie. The nut job! Instead of saying this aloud I shrugged.

    ‘Not really. No…’ I admitted. He looked hurt. ‘It’s not you, Joshua. You know that.’ I assured  him. He nodded but rolled his eyes anyway. One action betraying the meaning of the other.

   ‘I know, but… that’s just immature’ he pointed out. I heard Amelie and Alex gaining on us. I pulled out my phone and tried to look busy. They walked past us. Joshua laughed and rolled his eyes as I put my phone back into my pocket.

   ‘Don’t say it!’ I warned, he smiled and shook his head. Ahead, Amelie walked into school smiling. I caught her eye as I turned to go through the door of the school. Her smiled faded, her eyes held confusing secrets and mixed messages. They tried to her mine and I softened. Letting my emotions flow, showing them through my eyes, just as she looked away.

I wondered if she cared as much as I did…

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

347 8 51
Ethan and Braylee were best friends since second grade. They stuck together through thick and thin through their childhood years, up until Ethan chan...
2K 49 56
[âš  UNDER MAJOR EDITING âš ] "W-why did you leave me?" I asked tears streaming down my face. "I'm sorry! I had to! I had no choice!" "Do you have any i...
37.3K 230 11
"I... Am here to see you.", I told him as I placed my hands around his neck. I could feel my heart beat getting faster but I had to keep it strong if...
3.1K 65 33
Erica and Liam are only 11 or 12 when they decided they want to be 'girlfriend and boyfriend.' When they both decide to do this, they both know that...