Lost in Tokyo

By seenbymiley

Maine Mendoza gets lost in Tokyo and gets help from an expatriate Richard Faulkerson Jr. More

Ichi
Ni
San
Shi
Roku
Nana
Hachi
Kyu
Ju
Ju Ichi
Ju Ni
Ju San
Ju Shi
Ju Go
Ju Roku
Ju Nana
Ju Hachi
Ju Kyu

Go

2.6K 213 8
By seenbymiley

It's been an uneventful one week since I got back from Tokyo. The routinely schedule of attending a noontime show, endorsement shoots, and events have taken my mind off from what went on in Tokyo.

I tried to forget how beautiful that night was, and how he, despite wanting so badly to kiss me, and how I wanted to kiss him back, decided not to push through with the kiss. A part of me wished his lips touched mine, and a part of me knows it would be a horrendously stupid idea how our kiss will turn out to be an empty one after that night. I left the next day for Manila, and I wasn't able to say my goodbye.

"Maine." My thoughts were cut off by my handler. "Pwede na daw umalis in ten minutes."

"Sige kuya! Salamat!" 

I ride my van, and I doze off immediately. I wake up, and I see that my dad had guests at home. Usually, when my dad feels lazy, he holds his meetings at home, and right now several cars are lined up outside our house.

I hear japanese conversations coming from our formal dining room, and my dad laughs with them. I peep, and an ounce of me wishes that Richard was there, too. Maybe, just maybe.

I peep, and no sign of him. All middle-aged Japanese men, my dad, and some of his business partners were having dinner, and someone taps my shoulder which frightened me.

"May hinahanap ka?"

"Nay?" I get her hand and draw it close to my forehead.

"May hinahanap ka, 'kako!"

"Wala po, Nay! Sumilip lang kung sino bisita." I said trying to mask the disappointment in my face.

She smirks, "Coleen tignan mo to si Meng oh! May hinahanap!"

"Wala nga po, Nay! Akyat na po ako." I tried to speak as courteously as possible to hide my annoyance.

"Uy bes, sobrang di mapinta yang fezlak mo. Umasa ka nandyan si Tisoy noh?" Coleen was definitely trying to push my buttons.

"Heh, ewan ko sa'yo. Pagod na ako, may shoot pa ako bukas."

"Sige, sabi mo eh." She and Nanay started laughing knowing that I was really annoyed. Tss, whatever.

I was about to go up the stairs, when the door of the powder room opened, and then the person came out. I stop dead in my tracks, and for the first time in a week, my heart flutters and my stomach turns into knots. Richard was right in front of me.

"Maine!" He called out.

"Hi," and then I blush.

"What are you doing here?" He asks.

"Uhm, bahay ko 'to?" I said confused.

"I know, but your mom said you might be staying in your condo for the week. I'm surprised to see you here."

"And you, too. I'm surprised to see you here." I said nonchalantly. For some reason, I felt irritated.

Irritated at the fact that he couldn't have called or let me know that he was coming to Manila. I had to find him in my house, and no one bothered to tell me he was here.
Relax, self.

As if reading my thoughts, he speaks up, "It was a last minute meeting. Contract signing. My boss wanted to make sure everything was a done deal before the month ends. Just arrived three hours ago, and we headed straight here."

"Ahh.."

"I was thinking of messaging you, but things got so busy and my phone died at the airport."

"Cool."

"Maine?"

"Yeah?"

"Is everything okay?"

"Tired. I had a full week."

"Mm.. Okay. I'm staying for a week, I hope to see you then?"

"Let's talk about it tomorrow. I'm really exhausted. Good night, Richard." I say giving him a half hug.

"Good night, Maine."

I enter my room and found a bouquet of flowers and a box of truffles right on top of my bed.

"Maine, I flew in today for business. Hope to see you during my stay. R." and another note attached to the chocolate box, "Maine, hope this relaxes your week. Thinking of you. xx"

This was enough to make me smile. 

"Papadala ko na sana sa condo mo tonight kay Mang Joey, pero nagtext ka na uuwi ka, so iniwan ko nalang diyan." Coleen said while browsing through her laptop.

"Galing kay Richard?"

"Kanino pa ba?? Alam mo ang bait ni Richard. Pati sila Yaya Pepe may chocolates. Persistent si Tisoy and magalang daw sabi ni Nay."

"Talaga ba?"

"Oo nga! Ask mo pa sila."

"Shet, nasungitan ko pa naman Cols."

"Ang arte arte mo naman kasi! Mag sorry ka dun! Nag effort na nga siya oh!"

I reach my phone out and texted him. I didn't want to interrupt their meeting. "Richard, sorry for my mood. I'm just really exhausted from work. I'd love to see you this week. Thank you for the flowers and chocolates. You made my day. :) -Maine"

I wake up the next morning, and see him having breakfast with my dad having an animated conversation.

"Uhm?"

"Good morning, anak! Breakfast ka na bago mag shoot!"

"Good morning, Maine." He greets me cheerfully.

I reach for my dad's hand and put it on my forehead. I reach out to him and buss my cheek to his cheek.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered to him.

"Anak, I invited him for golf. Richard and I were about to leave for the country club."

I nod. This is honestly so weird to see him and my dad being all chummy.

I reach out for the coffee and the cereals since I can't have a heavy breakfast or else I'll look bloated.

"What time do you finish your shoot?" 

"Around 4 pm, hopefully pack up na po, 'Tay."

"Okay, is it okay if you could take Richard for dinner? I'll have Mang Joey take him to your shoot. I have to take care of something lang."

"Uhm, Mr. Mendoza.." Richard tried to refuse.

"No problem! See you there, Richard." I tell him. I go up, and leave.

The day goes by, and he arrives promptly at 4, but my shoot was running longer than expected. He sits down patiently, as I told my handler that Richard was arriving.

"Pack up!"

I thanked the crew and the photographer, and I look at last minute details, pack my stuff, and go straight to where he is seated.

"Hey!"

"You..." He greets me. "Look... Incredible, Maine! I mean, you're not yourself. You totally transformed." He says in shock.

"Well, it's part of the job." I tell him shrugging my shoulders.

"This is so different from the Maine from Tokyo. Quiet. Reserved. Timid. But this... wow! It's like watching top model or something!"

I tease him a bit, "I hope you get to put your jaw back up before it hits the ground, Richard."

He offers to carry my bags, but I refuse.

"Let's go to dinner?" I ask him.

"Are you sure?"

"Do you want me to change my mind?" I say confidently.

***

"Miss Mendoza, a pleasure to have you here again. Table for how many?" Sonia, the owner of the restaurant gives me a hug.

"Hi Sonia. Just two."

She tells the waitstaff to take me to a private room, and I am so sure almost all the women had Richard's attention. Who wouldn't? He seemed very refined in his blue suit. This almost makes me a bit nervous and insecure, that all these women are pining for him.

He touches the small of my back, and I relax.

"Maine?" He whispered in my ear.

"Yeah?"

"You look lovely tonight. Don't forget that." This almost makes me relax and secure.

"Stop teasing!"

"My mom told me two things. One is to never lie to a girl, and second is if you have to say something, say it right away, because life can be unexpected. Say it while you can."

"I think I like the idea of you."

I say this unthinkingly, wishing I could take it back. The moment felt right, but I'm not sure if I said it too soon.

He pulls me and grabs my hand. "And I, you, Maine."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 72 6
My AMACon2 entry, y'all! Check my fellow AMACon writers' works at @AMACon_Writers here in Watty :)
6.7K 247 10
Entry for AMACon3: Oikos - Home. Will love be their greatest downfall or salvation?
2.1K 10 10
After being tired being worked aroudn by finding a ruby, Olivia Millicent started to join an upper class mouse to get him back home.
84.7K 2.5K 37
To find out the answer to the question sometimes you need to take risks. Here's the Book 2 of The Ex Returns.