Countdown

By liv_dennison

You know those situations where you don't know how you'd react unless you were actually in that situation; ye... More

Introduction
Chapter One: PRESENT
Chapter Two -- ONE WEEK AGO: 9:01 PM
Chapter Three -- ONE WEEK AGO: 9:58 PM
Chapter Four -- SIX DAYS AGO 10:43 AM
Chapter Five -- SIX DAYS AGO 12:47 PM
Chapter Six -- SIX DAYS AGO 2:15 PM
Chapter Seven -- FIVE DAYS AGO 6:37 AM
Chapter Eight --- FIVE DAYS AGO 9:57 PM
Chapter Nine -- FOUR DAYS AGO 11:48 AM
Chapter Ten -- FOUR DAYS AGO 4:58 PM
Chapter Eleven -- FOUR DAYS AGO 5:32 PM
Chapter Thirteen -- THREE DAYS AGO 1:13 AM
Chapter Fourteen -- TWO DAYS AGO 5:57 AM
Chapter Fifteen -- THIRTY-TWO HOURS AGO 9:59 PM
Chapter Sixteen -- TWENTY-FOUR HOURS AGO 5:58 AM
Chapter Seventeen -- TWENTY-FOUR HOURS AGO 5:38 AM
Chapter Eighteen -- FIVE HOURS AGO 12:53 AM
Chapter Nineteen -- PRESENT 5:55 AM
Chapter Twenty -- PRESENT 6:03 AM
Chapter Twenty-One -- PRESENT 7:27 PM
Chapter Twenty-Two -- TWO MONTHS LATER
Author's Note

Chapter Twelve -- FOUR DAYS AGO 6:18 PM

30 9 17
By liv_dennison

Samantha's P.O.V.

    Without any hesitation or second thoughts, I barged into Doug's office where fortunately both Doug and Joey were. They didn't look too surprised to see me, knowing this was coming, but the exhausted sigh from Joey told me he was quite irritated with me.

    "I want to have a say in this case," I announced the obvious. My hands and voice were both shaky, even though I was trying to come off strong and confident.

    "Sam, haven't we talked about this?" Joey asked, ruffling his thinning hair.

    "I have some good assumptions that I think might get us somewhere and none of you will listen," I accused. With some attitude, I crossed my arms over my chest and glared at them daring to talk.

    All my anger built to a breaking point when Doug scoffed, then broke out into laughter. This isn't funny.

    "It isn't fair that I can't even help, Joey," I commented.

    "I already told you, the answer is no. Now, if you would, please leave Doug's office so we can get back to work," Joey replied with annoyance.

    Doug smirked, but when his eyes met mine, he turned his attention to the table and frowned. It isn't that he's scared of me but of Alan.

    I took a seat at the end of the table and grabbed the file report. The two of them stared at me in disbelief as I read on.

Case Name: Abduction of Danielle Jayne Athens

Date of Abduction: November 28, 2016

Time: Approx. 9:11 PM

Witness(es): Tyler Remington (boyfriend), Jackson Wilbert (Central Café owner)

Leads: _________________

    The file was ripped from my hands as I laughed. Doug furrowed his eyebrows in confusion of my actions, wondering what was wrong with me. Then, suddenly, my laugh turned to tears. I wiped them away and both explained -- the source of the crying -- and informed them of what was going to happen.

    "If you don't let me on this case, she's going to die. He will kill her." The tears kept coming and they just stared. "This is all my fault..."

    "Samantha, let's talk about this in my office," Joey suggested, resting his hands on my shoulders in a comforting way. I shook them off. "Sam."

    "You all are cowards. You've been in here for what three days and haven't even came up with one lead?" I asked, holding down the tears for good. No one has ever really seen me cry outside of my family. I don't know why I thought now was a good time to start.

    "And what? If you had, you'd have one?" Doug asked. He rose to his feet, his fists balled up.

    I wanted to shout out everything I knew. That Dani was being held hostage by the same men who ransomed or even killed the girls in my case. That they have been threatening me with my sister's life. That if I didn't destroy the only thing giving those families closure, she would be murdered herself. That her life was in my hands.

    I couldn't. I knew I couldn't because it was way too high of a risk. It angered me that he would even say something, though. I never knew I could be that infuriated in my life.

    "You know what, Doug?" I asked, taking a step towards him in fury. Joey stuck his arm out, building a barrier between us, but I pushed him away. "If she dies, her blood is on your hands. And so help me God, I will not let that go until you lay six feet under just like her."

    "Sam! That's it!" Joey yelled, pulling me away from Doug. I hadn't even notice I had a fistful of his shirt in my hand. "Hand over your badge and gun."

    I didn't move, eyeing him in confusion. He was mad, but something twinkled in his eyes. Pity?

    "Hand over your badge and gun, Samantha!" he yelled. Everyone from outside the room, looked over, or maybe they were always staring since the moment I walked in. I did as I was told and handed them over to him. "Until further notice, you are hereby suspended."

    "What? No! What about my case?"

    "I'll take it into my own hands. Now, I need you to leave the perimeter or I'll have you escorted off," Joey threatened, looking me in the eye.

    "Screw you, both of you!" I yelled, walking through the door and slamming it behind me.

    Once I was outside and the cold air was surrounding me, I think my anger decreased dramatically. It could have been my anxiety levels rising as well, though. I wasn't going to be able to save Danielle without destroying that box.

    Speeding, I drove to the department store and bought all I would need: sticky notes, markers, multiple colors of string, thumb tacks, and a cork board/white board. With all of this stuff, I put all the pieces together better than Doug could put a ticket on the windshield of a car.

    I made my way back to the station in hopes of making it in and out without Joey or Doug seeing me, but with all the luck I've been having, Joey was standing outside Doug's office, chatting with one of the secretaries.

    "Don't worry, Chief," I reassured with a voice laced with sarcasm. "I'm only here to grab my coat, or is that against the rules too?"

    "Samantha, just get your coat and leave," he almost begged, exhausted.

    That was exactly what I did, but picked something else up on the way. The device could track phone, video calls, and messages. It was perfect. I was going to save Danielle even if it was by myself and slightly illegal.

Hours passed and I had accomplished nothing. The board had connections, but none had any connections to where the killer would be. It was frustrating that the only thing I've written down on my whiteboard is 'Doug wouldn't even have gotten this far.'

    I had to wait until they called again so I could track them and just the thought of the box at the station wasn't any help. At all. I don't even see why he wants it destroyed. There's nothing there.

    The sound of my phone ringing was suddenly heard. I jumped, starting to shake all over with a heart banging against my rib cage. The caller I.D. read unknown and I turned on the tracking device before answering.

    The first thing that was heard was horrible ear-piercing screams and pleads. My heart sudden felt as if someone had a hold of it and was squeezing it until I could no longer breathe. It was unmistakably Dani's screams. They were hurting her.

    "Stop!" I begged, tears falling down my face. "Please!"

    "Just a little motivation for you," he said coolly, with a smirk. "Oh, and a little warning on ever trying to track us again."

    The line went dead and I was petrified. My mouth hung open as tears streamed down my face. What could they have been possibly doing to her?

    I looked down at the screen of the tracker with hope to only whimper loudly. The screen read: LOST CONNECTION. PLEASE CONNECT TO OTHER LINE.

    It didn't even work. For all I know, Danielle is hurting even more for me trying to track them down. What was I thinking?

    "Sweetie?" a soft voice spoke, catching my attention. I slammed the top my the tracker shut and placed it on the side table. "Are you okay? Come here."

    Alan sat down beside me on the bed, wrapping his arms around me. I rested my head on his hard chest and let everything go. My chest slowly felt like everything was lifting off of it only to be unable to move. I felt like everything was spinning.

    "What happened?" he asked, petting my hair.

    "N-nothing," I hiccupped after I pulled myself together a bit. "Just scared."

    "Of what?"

    "What's happening to Danielle." I wiped my nose with my sleeve and nuzzled further into Alan's embrace. "She's hurting."

    "You don't know that," he answered, tensing up.

    "What?" I asked in concern.

    "Just trust me, she'll be okay," he replied, kissing my forehead before standing from the bed. "I need to be somewhere." His eyes fell to the floor as if he was ashamed. He must have sensed my confusion and suspicion because he explained himself. "I have this thing I have to do tomorrow for work and I need something really important that I forgot to pick up today in St. Louis."

    "Okay?" I questioned, not really believing a word he said. "It's 11:49 at night, Al. I mean, if it's for work go ahead, but I mean...When will you be back?"

    He scratched at the back of his neck as he shrugged. He knows I don't believe what he's saying, but he doesn't want to make up another accuse.

    "What are you really doing?" I interrogated, fed up with all the lies.

    "Okay, it's nothing for work, but I do need to pick something up." We stared at each other, daring the other one to look away. Finally he did when he pulled me into his arms and kissed the top of my head. "It's a surprise, baby."

    With his hug alone, my suspicion floated away and I felt as if he could be trusted. I don't know why I've been so uneasy around him lately. I feel like every time he leaves or says he needs to be somewhere, he gets all uncomfortable and lies about it. He has never kept secrets from me.

    "I'll text you when I get there. Okay, Sam?" He pulled me out in front of him, arms length apart. He took my chin in between his thumb and forefinger and tilted my head up to look in his eyes. "I love you."

    His eyes sparkled, but weren't his normal light blue. They were dark and mysterious. Usually his eyes change colors when afraid or tired which I guess makes sense for being in such a situation with Danielle.

    I pulled him in for a kiss before whispering, "I love you, too."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

311 109 43
Life may take you places you never thought of going and things you never expected you'd do, but you'll adjust, you'll get used it and that would be y...
21.7K 636 47
Getting taken was never our plan. Meeting them wasn't so much of one either. What if one day you were with your bestfriend in the entire world. Safe...
2.9K 16 21
They wanted me forever. They told me I would be okay. I was only trying to scare them. "Hello Love." Harry started. "Do you know what happens when y...
5.7K 123 60
"How do you feel now, Morgan?" She says, more pointing something out than asking a question. She grabs hold of my wrists and tightens them. If I coul...