A Spot Conlon Fanfiction: Mys...

By FReeLife4

She is a smart mouthed, tough, big headed girl with one twisted life. Regardless of who she is, she isn't af... More

Chapter 1: The Beginning
Chapter 2: Reality
Chapter 3: Many Meetings
Chapter 4: Nightmares Become Reality
Chapter 5: New Beginnings
Chapter 6: Difficulties
Chapter 7: Just Messin' Around
Chapter 9: Trouble
Chapter 10: Thee Meeting
Chapter 11: Revealed
Chapter 12: Closer
Chapter 13: Swimming
Chapter 14: Gettin' Hurt
Update
Chapter 15: Nightmares, Revenge, and Feelings
Chapter 16: Escaping
Chapter 17: Little Talks
Chapter 18: The Truth Hurts
Chapter 19: Connections
Update!!!!!
Chapter 20: Well Damn

Chapter 8: No More Hiding

2.1K 33 12
By FReeLife4

Two weeks later –

The past few weeks were a struggle. After things went down between Spot and I our interactions have been tenser. I have tried to avoid him at all costs. However, it doesn't really help that our rooms are right next to each other and we share a bathroom. Plus, he makes me stick by him 24/7 when we are selling our papes, so he can keep an eye on me. Speaking of which, I have been as patient as I possibly can be, but I haven't been able to sell all my papes! That, on top of the Spot situation, has not helped me with fitting in with the other newsies. Most of the newsies don't take me seriously at all. It's way worse than 'Hattan was. The Brooklyn newsies cat call me and kiss at me. I just want to punch them, but I know that that will only make things worse between Spot and I.

On the bright side I suppose I can now call Ace and Sunny my friends. They kind of remind me of Race and Crutchy when I'm with them. The past couple of weeks they have tried to help me out and give me pointers when it comes to selling – not that it did any good. They also just kind of look out for me when it comes to other newsies and Spot. Without those two I probably would have been soaked quite a few times by Spot already.

I thought about all this as I laid in my bed awaiting a scorning yell from Spot. The sunlight slipped through the drapes that covered the window facing my bed. It decorated the floor and I stared at the single, solid strip of gold.

"Mys, don't make me drag yous outa bed!" Spot yelled from the bathroom as he stepped out of the shower. I rolled my eyes and slid out of bed before my laziness made the situation any worse. My bare feet hit the floor and I instantly shivered from the cool air hitting me. I scratched the top of my head, rustling my hair, and slowly trudged over to the window. My hand gently grasped the edge of the drape. I threw my hand back to revile the ocean view. The sun shimmered on the water. It was so bight that it could blind someone. I stared out the window at the beautiful scene for a couple minutes before stumbling over towards my dresser. I pulled out tan pair of trousers and a black and white plaid shirt and threw them on my bed. I slipped my night shirt off, over my hips, and let it fall to the floor. I placed a foot under the edge of it, kicked it up into the air, and grabbed it. I threw the shirt on my bed, next to my clean clothes and began to dress.

Once I finished dressing, I grabbed my bandage and headed towards the bathroom for the painful process. I delicately wrapped my tender chest and quickly buttoned up my shirt as Spot enter the bathroom to hang up his towel.

"Let's go. Wes need to leave in five" he said firmly looking at me before exiting. I glared right back, but didn't say anything. To be honest I'm pretty scared to say anything around him. I quickly washed my face and brushed my teeth. Then I braided my silky hair, wrapped it in a bun on top of my head, and placed my newsie cap over it. I flipped the light switch off and raced through my room and down the stairs. At the foot of the stairs I stopped short nearly running into Spot who appeared as if he was just going to yell for me to hurry again. I smirked as I slipped past him and directly to Ace and Sunny.

"Well, well if it isn't Sleepin' Beauty" Ace said teasing me.

"Haha" I said coldly smirking at him.

"Hows it rollin' Mys?" Sunny chimed in patting my back. I grinned up at him.

"Swell Sunny!" I glanced toward Spot, who marched towards us, pimp cane in hand and stood in the doorway. He whistled sharply to catch everyone's attention. The room immediately quieted down.

"Let's go sell some papes!" he hollered and smirked. His newsies responded by whooping back and heading towards the door. Spot glanced my direction and nodded at me – his sign that I need to stick by him – as he passed through the door.

"Hell awaits..." I said quietly, but not quietly enough. Ace and Sunny burst out laughing. They clutched their stomachs as they passed me.

"Haha... careful Mys." Ace chuckled at me. I trailed behind the two of them as they continued to laugh at my comment. As I passed through the doorway I paused and breathed in and out slowly. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Spot waiting for me. He was casually leaning up against the wall of the lodging house. His right foot propped him up and his hands were balanced on the pimp cane that was out in front of him. I turned around to face him. My eyes remained on him. My entire body tensed up as he started walking towards me. Spot paused and gave me a funny look as he tilted his head.

"Yous scared of me?" Yes! Deathly scared! I breathed in and gave him a look.

"What?" I snapped "I'ms not scared of ya." I defended. Spot squinted at me and slowly started walking towards me again. Without thinking I backed away from him. Spot immediately stopped and his eyes widened at my actions. He almost seemed hurt, which confused me. Why would he care? I thought. I stared at him breathing in and out rapidly. My hands gripped the side of my trousers to dry my palms.

"Really?" Spot said in a firm voice. I looked down at the ground for a couple seconds and then back up at Spot.

"Spot, I... well you..." I mumbled trying to find something to say. "You hurt me." I finally said. Physically the hurt was nothing, but emotionally... that's a whole other story. He reminded me of Victor and that's what was hurting.

"Oh God, Mys! Come on, wes talked about this." He snapped in an annoyed tone. He placed his pimp cane through a belt loop in his trousers and then crossed his arms in front of him. "You're no special case and Is did warn ya. So get over it." He pushed passed me and I grabbed his arm to stop him.

"It's not like that!" I yelled in his face. Spot's eyes turned cold and it was clear that he was very much agitated with me.

"Oh yeah?" Spot questioned getting up in my face. "Then please princess explain to me, how's it different?" I looked at the ground as I panicked. I didn't want to tell Spot about Victor and my past, but if he somehow found out I was lying I'm pretty sure he would kill me. I shifted from one foot to the other trying to figure out what to do.

"I'm waitin'" Spot said quietly. I sighed and walked past him avoiding the question. "That's what Is thought" Spot chuckled and followed behind me. The two of us walked silently to purchase our papes.

I began shouting out the headlines and waving a pape in the air as soon as I received my 30 papes. I really needed to get these papes sold. Spot smirked at my rapid movements and unsuccessful tactics. After I yelled out the headlines and successfully tired both my arms I sat down on the curb. I sold all of 4 papes! I'm not one to give up easily, but I was lost. I had no clue how to fix this. I slammed my 26 remaining papes on the curb next to me and rested my chin in my hands. I stared at the ground as a set of feet appeared in front of me and I slowly looked up.

"What yous doin'?" Spot said raising and eye brow.

"What does it look like?" I said snarkily.

"Watch the tone doll face" he warned me. Before I could say anything back he grabbed my arm and pulled me to my feet.

"Hey, what's the big deal?" I whined.

"I'ms gonna try somethin'" he said sternly, leaning in a bit closer. What was he doing? I thought as I raised an eye brow in concern. He got really close and started to unbutton my shirt. I gasped and pushed myself away from him.

"Spot!" I glared and grabbed my partially open top. He smirked.

"Get over yourself princess" He said rolling his eyes. "It ain't what ya think. Now get back over here. I'm tryin' ta help." I winced and then slowly took a step towards him. He grabbed my arm and led me away from the streets and down an ally. We paused halfway through and he turned his attention towards me again. "Undo your bandage" he commanded.

"What? Spot no, I'll be made." What is running through his head?

"Mys, now." He said more firmly. I rolled my eyes in disgust and began to unroll my bandage. Once that was accomplished, I readjusted my bra that had been shifted and looked back up at Spot shyly. He looked me straight in the eyes and I blushed as I turned to look away. He re-buttoned my top. His fingers brushed my skin. It sent shivers down my spine. He left the top few buttons open to show some of my chest – not that there is much to show. Then he took off my newsies cap and I stepped forward, into him, to try and grab it back. He hid it behind his back and held me back with his other arm.

"Spot come on."

"Stop whining and hold still." He pushed me away from him so he could look at me. He placed my cap between his teeth as he began to fuss with my hair. He removed my golden hair out of its braided bun. Some stands fell and coved my face. Spot looked at me intently, tilted his head and brushed the hair out of my face. His fingers grazed my skin and I got shivers down my spine again. He tucked my hair behind my ears and then placed my cap back on my head. Spot then stepped back and looked me up and down as if he was trying to find something wrong with me."Go sell your papes" he said unexpectedly.

"Are yous crazy or something? Spot Is look like a goil thanks to yous. Is can't." Spot stood straight faced and waited for me to finish whining.

"Trust me. Go sell your papes." I glared at him, refusing to move. Who knows what would happen to me if people saw me selling papes. "Now" he raised his voice and pointed towards the exit of the alley way.

"Ugh..." I groaned and turned to shuffle back out into the streets. I pick my papes back up and started to yell the headlines again. I looked back to see Spot leaning up against a store front watching me. He smirked and made a shooing motion whit his hand. I stuck my tongue out at him and returned to the streets. Everyone started at me and a few gasped and shook their heads. I mean it's understandable. I am the first girl newsie they have seen. It felt great to actually be myself. Does this mean I don't have to hide anymore? I continued to shout and noticed people started flooding towards me. Most of them were men. They glared down at me and smirked as they demanded papes.

"I'll take a pape."

"Over here sweetheart."

"I'd like one." So many people shouted for a pape that I was turning every which way to try and accommodate them. Before I knew it my papes were out and my job was finished. I spun around and smiled at Spot. He smiled back, his teeth gleaming. We walked towards each other.

"Thank you" I squeaked unable to stop smiling. Spot smirked at my quirky attitude.

"Don't mention it" I looked down at the ground and shoved my hands in my pockets as we began to walk back. Just before we reached the dock, Spot held his arm out to stopped me. "Cover up." I gave him a confused look.

"What?"

"Cover up" he pointed towards my reveling shirt. I shook my head at him in confusion.

"Why?"

"Mys, Is don't need yous distracting my newsies. You'll thank me later. Now cover up."

"Excuse me!" I yelled placing my hands on my hips. "What was that back there?" I said pointing behind me and referring to him unbuttoning my shirt in the alley.

"That was to help yous sell. That's different. Now let's go" He said getting impatient.

"What so Is can be myself to sell papes, but not here so Is don't 'distract' your precious newsies? Is shouldn't have ta hide myself. Maybe your newsies are the ones yous should be talking to!" I snapped in his face.

"Watch it Mys!" Spot spat back at me gripping my arm and leading me away from the docks. He dragged me to another ally way and began scolding me again. "Did ya notice your audience sweet face?" I squinted at him. "Men?" he said as if I was dumb. "Yous wouldn't have sold all those papes to those fellas if yous didn't give them a view as well." I ripped my arm from his grip and backed up shaking my head in amazement. How could he be so brutal? "It's the way da world works" he finished placing his hands in his pockets and looking at the ground.

"You're an ass" I hissed. Spot's head shot up and his eyes widened at my cold response. I could see his jaw tensed up and I knew he was pissed. "Yous know everyone says you da most respected newsies in New York, but the way Is see it there is nothing to respect." Spot raised and eye brow and his face grew bright red. He glared at me more intensely than ever. I glared harshly at him, waiting for a response. He backed me up into the wall as my mouth started running again. "You're..." His hand flew up and gripped my jaw restricting me from continuing. He held tight as he spoke.

"Yous better not finish that" he warned. His voice was deep and very quiet. It scared me more than his normal yelling. anAfter a minute or two of staring at me he released my jaw and backed away from me.

"You're... no king" I said quietly taking a step towards him. I instantly regretted it. Suddenly, I could barely breathe and a sharp pain poisoned my stomach. I fell to my knees clutching my torso. I looked up to see Spot standing over me his fist still formed.

"Get up" he ordered. I didn't move and felt another shock of pain on the left side of my face. I tasted blood in my mouth and spat it out. "Now!" he yelled at me. Growing impatient with me he pulled out his pimp cane and started twirling it as he paced back on forth in front of me. I watched him intently as he did so. When I final had strength to bring myself to my feet Spot shot towards me in anger. He held his pimp cane horizontally out in front of him and pressed it into me, pushing me back towards the wall. My hands were next to his on the pimp cane trying to push back. It was no use though, Spot was too strong. He slammed me against the walk and I bit my lip trying to fight the urge to scream out in pain. Out of the corner of my eye I could see a few newsies standing, arms crossed, watching. I glanced back at Spot, looking him deep in his ice cold eyes. He leaned into me, the pimp cane starting to crush me. He was close enough that I could feel his breath in my ear as he spoke.

"Don't yous ever say anythin' like that again. Ever." He growled in my ear. I tried to catch my breath. He leaned back and released me. I instantly fell to the ground and glanced up at Spot, tears pouring down my cheeks. Spot turned away and walked towards the end of the alley where the newsies gathered. Before leaving my sight, he glanced over his shoulder at me – our eyes meeting. I watched as he pivoted towards the dock and left me to fend for myself. That's it. I have to go. There is no way I'm staying here! I confirmed.

After taking a few minutes to compose myself I headed back to the dock to pick up my things. I stumbled towards the lodging house as some newsies smirked at me.

"Hello doll face" a newsie said standing in front of me and blocking my way. He looked me up and down and licked his lips.

"Leave me alone" I mumbled. He suddenly grabbed my shoulder and pulled me closer to him. Two other newsies head towards us. One was rubbing his hands as if he was about to have a meal and the other was smirking. "Let go of me. Leave me alone" I pleaded. A few other newsies headed my direction. All of them were smirking and kissing towards me. Why was no one helping me? My eyes filled with fear. I started trying to push my way through the crowd of newsies attempting to grab and stop me. "Stop" I shouted. The newsies laughed at me and carried on.

"Beat it!" a voice suddenly sounded. It was Spot. He marched towards the scattering newsies, throwing punches and hitting anyone who got in his way with his cane. I watched him in surprise as he approached me. What, fist you soak me and then you safe me? What a psychopath.

"I warned you" he stated raising his eye brows at me. This is why he wanted me to cover up? Spot turned and looked at the newsies, who he had hit, that scattered the dock. "Get outta here!" He yelled slamming his pimp cane on the dock. The sudden sound spooked me and I jumped. I could see the indentation it left in the plank of wood. Without a word, I passed all the commotion and ran to the lodging house. I have to get out of here!

I remained in my room the rest of the night. I waited till night fell and Spot was in bed. I grabbed my pack full of clothes and quietly walked to my door. I slipped out and head down the stairs. When I reached the main room I blinked rapidly trying to get my eyes to adjust to the darkness. As I walked I felt around making sure not to disturb anything. I final made my way across the main room and to the front door. I clasped the knob and turned it. The door squeaked sharply and I paused waiting to be caught. No one appeared and quickly stepped outside into the cool breeze. As soon as the door shut I began to run.

Fifteen minutes or so passed and I slowed down. My chest hurt from breathing so fast. I walked slowly and observed the people around me. A few older men winked at me and smirked as I walked by. Naturally, I felt uncomfortable. I tried not to get t nervous about it. Instead I just ignored them and continued walking, until one man spoke.

"Hiya pretty thing" he said walking in my direction. My heart beat sped up as I tried to ignore him and walk pass. The man scoffed at me when I didn't respond. "Your loss" he chuckle walking the other direction towards a bar. Yeah I don't think so, I said to myself. I carried on and tried to take alley ways to avoid the people. I was about to turn down an ally way when a hand clasp my mouth and an arm wrapped around my torso. I tried to scream, but the mystery hand muffled it as it pressed harder and harder into my face.

"Shhh" a voice whispered in my ear. I started to burn up with fear. I kicked out and flailed, trying to get away from my attacker. "Mys, relax. It's me, Ace." I immediately stopped moving and turned towards him. I punched him in the arm and glared harshly up at him.

"Don't scare mes like that. What are yous doin' here? How did ya find me?" I said in a hushed tone.

"Uh, I followed ya" Ace said rolling his eyes. "What are yous doin'?"

"Uh, escaping" I said rolling my eyes and mocking him.

"Yeah, Is don't think so. Not unless yous wanna get soaked." He smirked and placed left hand in his pocket.

"Is was already soaked today."

"Ha, oh no sweetheart. That little brawl today, that was nothing." He chuckled at me running his free hand trough his hair. I internally freaked out. Nothing? Are you kidding me? "Come on, let's go." Ace said interrupting my freak session. He held his arm out to direct me back towards the dock.

"No. I'm not goin' back." Ace sighed and looked down at me expecting a valid excuse. "Ace, Is can't live with him. He... he scares me." Ace looked at me funny and burst out laughing. I staed at the ground as tars teased my eyes. When he noticed my reaction he hushed and realized I meant it.

"Why yous scared of him?" he asked confused.

"It's complicated." I whispered looking away from him.

"Well, uncomplicate it." I looked him in the eyes, but didn't say a word. "Come on Mys. Is won't tell Spot" he coaxed me. I sighed and closed my eyes for a second as I looked away. I really didn't want to think about this or tell Ace, but I really had no clue how to back out of this so I spilled the beans.

"Well, um... a while ago someone... hurt me... and Spot... reminds me of that person." Ace looked at me surprised. I guess he wasn't expecting that response. "After Spot slapped me... and now today... it brought back memories that I would really have preferred to forget." I struggled to control my breathing as I tried to hold back the water works.

"Mys, I'm sorry." My eyes widened at Ace's unexpected apology. "I'm sure Spot didn't intend to hurt ya. He does the things he does because he has ta. Like Is said before, Is don't always agree with his tactics, but Is understand why he does was he does."

"How do ya explain him soakin' me?" I counter argued.

"First, that wasn't a soakin' that was... well that was just a little messin' around. Second, what did ya say ta him?"

"What?" I said tilting my head and squinting.

"Come on Mys. Is know you said something and knowing your mouth, yous probably deserved it." How did he know me so well? "Spot doesn't tolerate any disrespect." I lowered my head - giving up on arguing. Ace placed a hand on my back and pushed me towards the direction of the dock. "Maybe yous should tell Spot" Ace said, breaking the silence.

"Tell him what?"

"That he scares ya."

"He already knows" I responded looking at the ground.

"Oh. Well does he know why?"

"No, and it better stay that way. Clear?" I paused, threatened him with a fist. He chuckled at me.

"Ha, alright sweet face." We continued to walk a bit farther and then it was my turn to break the silence.

"Why is he the way he is?" I said.

"Who? Spot?"

"Yeah, who else?" I joked and smiled at Ace waiting for a response.

"Not sure to be honest. I'm sure it's his past, but no one knows about it." As the two of us walked home in the moon light, my mind raced with thoughts. What was Spot's past? I need to find out. I need to know who Spot Conlon really is.

~ Things got a bit more intense. If you think it's just kind of dragging on now, I'm sorry. I promise the good parts are coming really soon. I just have to "set the stage". Hope you liked it and thanks for reading! ~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.3K 746 16
Joss Kelly is the younger sister of Manhattan Newsie Jack Kelly. Joss is the only female Newsie in Manhattan, so she hides behind the alias of Jace K...
279K 4.3K 40
Finley Kelly, the little sister of the famous Jack Kelly. She's the only girl newsie in all of New York, and because of this, she needs to hide her g...
16.5K 276 12
Elizabeth Higgins little sister of Racetrack Higgins. Elizabeth had never loved a guy or fallen for one that is until she meets the famous King of Br...
8.8K 86 19
Kat Kelly: independent, sarcastic, and younger sister of Jack. NOT someone who needs "protection" by the reluctant King of Brooklyn himself, Spot Con...