The Way You Love Me

By nerdinspects

Ashley Donalds is heartbroken when her best friend, Caleb, rejects her love and dates someone else. But she... More

The Way You Love Me
1. Little Pieces
2. Meeting Blade Brown
3. Silent Anger
4. Late Night Talks
5. Busted Surprises
6. Busted Friends!
8. Apology
9. Does it hurt?
10. Blade's Dilemma
11. It's just the Beginning
12. Helpful Friends
Character Info
13. Argument
14. Party
15. The Party Ends
16. The Best Thing About Best Friends Is That They Are Annoying
17. A Fool's Confessiom
18. Heart Beats Faster
18. Heart Beats Even Faster When You Have a Secret (Part Two)
Author's Note

7. Hurt

2.8K 143 9
By nerdinspects

~ Chapter Seven - Hurt ~

“Why did he do that? He’s such a stupid boy. How could he leave his friend’s birthday party and go with his girlfriend who went to party of her ex boyfriend. What messed up situation is this?” Hailey complained.

Logan was sitting beside her, watching her with a smile. His eyes were bright. There was no trace of a friend who has been deceived by his friend. He looked completely normal, completely in love with Hailey.

“Hailey, can you please talk about something else?” Ryan interjected amidst her outburst.

“What?! You are asking me to talk about something else? That boy decided to spend time with his girlfriend than with his friends. Doesn’t that sound stupid to you? How could he do that? He was with that girl instead of enjoying with us. He had always been there for all of us and now suddenly he decides that he wants to be with his girlfriend. HOW CAN HE DO THAT?” She screamed.

We sat quiet knowing if we said even one more word, she would go all ballistic on us. It was better to let her cool down on her own. We were not sitting in cafeteria but outside, under the sunlight. It was so bright and beautiful. Only the mood was not as good.

“Because he likes her.” Logan was the one who broke the silence. Our heads turned to him in horror. Logan has the ability to cool down Hailey but he often does this by kissing her. Words are hardly a part of that process. “I would have done the same if I was Caleb. I’d do anything for you. And he would do anything for her too.”

That was a nice way to put it. Logan had a smile on his face as he said that but even I knew he was kind of nervous and sad. He wanted to look at the brighter side of the situation. The fact was, even he knew Caleb chose her. The ‘bros before hoes’ rule was broken and battered.

“You’d leave us for her?!” Luke exclaimed. I glared at him. Logan was trying to cool down the situation and he had to act stupid in a situation like this.

“She is worth leaving you.” Logan muttered under his breath in annoyance putting extra stress on ‘you’ while playfully glaring at Luke. Rest of us smiled while Luke faked heartbreak.

I guess things are alright. I have a bunch of smart friends. Only if Caleb was smart enough too.

*** ***

“How is Logan feeling?” Blade asked sitting behind me in the class.

“He’s okay. More understanding.” I shrugged not bothering to look at him while I knew he was staring at me.

“What do you say about this situation?” He inquired asking for my input.

“Nothing special. Though there are several thoughts running inside my head, I’m trying to put a full stop to them. If I think too much over it then it won’t be healthy for me so don’t ask me.” I said flatly.

“But still… I want to know. Just tell me how do you feel about Caleb dating Natalie now?”

“I feel the same as I felt before.” I answered but inside my head, I started to wonder if it was really like that. I didn’t think it was.

For some reason, the bubble of hope was started to form again. It had happened on its own. This situation might create a wedge between Caleb and Natalie. If that happens, he may come to me. And I will be there for him in the end.

“Are you sure about that?” He asked me pulling me out of my thoughts.

I gave him a rude sideways glance. “I’m sure.”

He didn’t say anything in return but he wasn’t convinced. Not like I was trying to convince him. His opinion doesn’t really matter much.

The day passed without anything big. Logan was going to throw a party tonight. It was kind of formality party. His parents will be there and his relatives will be there. I’m not going to be there though. This time, I hope Caleb will be around.

Speaking of Caleb, he looked pretty disturbed during the whole day. The unmistakable look of guilt was plastered on his face. He couldn’t even look in our direction. It is called avoiding a problem. Most of us do it unknowingly. We should look at ourselves and accept when we do something wrong and face it with a brave face. Well… who am I to preach. I’m exactly the same. A simple, weak human being.

The school was over and I was sitting in my room solving some math problems. Today, I had submitted that form and I have to prepare now. I was completely engrossed with my work. It was only when my phone rang did I realize that the time had passed and it was already dusk.

I read Hailey’s name on my phone with her pouty face staring at me. I accepted the call.

“You have to bring him here.” She spoke without any ‘hello’, ‘hi’.

I was quiet for a moment with her sudden demand. “Who?” I asked after regaining some composure.

“Caleb. Who else? I want him to be here for Logan’s party. No matter what he says I know Logan is hurt by Caleb’s actions. If he doesn’t appear tonight then it will really hurt Logan and I won’t like it. Now it’s your job to bring Caleb.”

“But you know I’m not-“

“I DON’T CARE!” She shouted and my ears started ringing.  She took a deep breath and spoke again. “I don’t care whether you are coming OR NOT. Bring Caleb with you in half an hour or…” She left the sentence incomplete and hung up on me. I sighed pressed the palm of my hand to my head. That girl!

Looks like I will have to go to that party. But that’s not necessary. I can just drop Caleb there.

I was wearing my Pokémon pajamas and a cozy sweatshirt. It was too informal. So searched in my closet to wear something more presentable. I put on my new black jeans and a white top. I opened the balcony to look for Caleb inside his room. If there’s at least a shadow of him then I’ll know he’s still at his house and not with his girlfriend again.

I couldn’t find him but instead froze myself out there. The nights have started to become colder with every day. I returned to my room and put on a black coat my dad had gifted me last year. I pulled the elastic band out of my hair letting them fall on my shoulder in waves and combed them hurriedly with one hand. With the other hand, I called Caleb but it only kept on ringing.

I put on my shoes and walked quickly to his house. The door was opened by Mrs. Long, Caleb's mother.

Mariah Long was a beautiful lady in her mid thirties. She looked like her son or should I say her son looked like her because she came in this world before him. That aside, she is simple a nice lady one would like to talk to. She used to cook delicious food when I came over their home few months ago. She knows I and Caleb have a fall out but I don’t expect she knows the real reason behind it.

When she saw me on her doorstep, a wide grin appeared on her face and she engulfed me in a tight hug. I was taken aback by the sudden act. My arms stayed at my sides as she squeezed the life out of me. I tried not to push her away. She was just happy to see me.

“Ashley! It’s been so long since I saw you. You used to come over every other day before but now you don’t even visit us. I’m so happy to see you here.” She said excitedly.

“I’m happy to see you too.” I mumbled and willed my arms to hug her loosely before she pulled away.

“You’ve grown up since I last saw you.” She said cupping my face. There was a nostalgic smile on her face. It made me feel uncomfortable. I wondered if she was really feeling like that or kidding or throwing some kind of jab at me because I didn’t see her in past few months.

“Mom! What are you doing?” Caleb’s voice cut through the air and finally his mother pulled away from me to look at her son. I let out a long breath.

“Look! Ashley is here to meet you.” She pointed at me.

His eyes fell on me and a look of surprise passed over his face. I waved my hand at him and he hesitantly repeated my action.

“And she is all dressed up. Doesn’t she look beautiful?” Mrs. Long continued. I looked down at my attire when she said that and then back at Caleb.

His eyes studied my physique for a moment and I turned to side to obstruct his view. I didn’t know why I did that. I felt kind of embarrassed under his gaze.

“Yes, she does.” He agreed with his mother.

“Are you going somewhere Ashley?” Mrs. Long inquired.

“Yes, I am. And I’m taking Caleb with me.” I told her. Her eyes lit up at that.

“Really?”

I nodded.

“Caleb! Why are you standing there dressed like a troll? Change your clothes and wear something presentable. Ashley looks beautiful. You should look beautiful too.” She scolded her son.

“I’m not going to look beautiful mom. I’m going to look handsome. There’s a difference” He groaned and then looked at me curiously.

“Don’t teach me English and change.” His mother ordered. His eyes were still on me. I gestured with my hands asking him to go and change. He was skeptical but nodded anyways and disappeared into his room.

“Come Ashley. I haven’t talked to you in a long time.” Mrs. Long led me to the living room.

*** ***

“Caleb has not seen that movie in last few days.” Mrs. Long told me about Caleb and listened to her.

“What are you talking about?” Caleb entered wearing blue jeans and shirt with red leather jacket thrown over it. His hair were combed and it was apparent he had taken a shower. He looked good. Really good.

He raised an eyebrow at me and I scowled at him. As Mrs. Long praised the looks of her son, I checked the time in my phone. Only ten minutes were remaining. The ride would take about fifteen minutes. While Logan’s day-before-birthday-party was at Hailey’s place, today’s party was at Logan’s house. It was a little far from mine. I’ve only ever gone there twice. I remember the route.

“You look good Caleb.” I complimented once his mother finished and caught his arm. “Let’s go now.” I tugged at his arm.

“Bring him back before eleven or twelve. Or don’t return. He can stay at your house.” Mrs. Long said as I headed towards the front door with Caleb following me behind.

“Sure Mrs. Long.” I yelled back.

“Where are we going?” Caleb asked as I dragged him towards my car. I didn’t answer him and unlocked the car.

“Tell me now or I won’t go.” Caleb crossed his arms over his chest and pouted. I rolled my eyes at his childishness.

“At Logan’s place.” I answered flatly.

His eyes widened and he readied himself to leave but I caught his arm before that.

“What?! No! I’m not going.” He protested.

“You are going. I’m going to take you there or Hailey will cut me into little pieces.” I told him dragging him towards the car. I even opened the door for him but he refused to move. He took a weird posture with his hands on the backseat and butt sticking out in the air.

I gritted my teeth. That was formidable.

“What are you doing Caleb?”

“I don’t want to go. Please. No!”

I took a couple of steps back until his body relaxed. Then I lifted my foot and kicked him on the butt. He was shocked to the point that he didn’t realize when his body fell on the seat with the sheer force of my kick. I lifted his dangling feet and shoved them inside before closing the door and getting into driver’s seat.

“What was that?!” He exclaimed. “Did you just swat my as- butt?” He amended when I glared at him through rearview mirror.

“No, I didn’t. I kicked your butt.” I told him.

“That hurt!” He complained rubbing his butt. I remained silent.

He didn’t say anything for few minutes. A thoughtful look on his face looked completely bizarre.

“You didn’t have to do it.” He complained. “You could have made up any excuse and got out of this situation.”

“What are you talking about?” I frowned.

“Are you trying to seduce me?” He asked shocking me. My mouth flew up in surprise. What is he talking about?

“Excuse me?”

“Come on. Do you think I don’t know what you are doing? You could have easily denied Hailey. But no, you said yes because it was related to me. Is this because you love me and so and so? I know it is not out of concern for your friends. You are doing this to become hero in front of everyone’s eyes. Don’t take me for a fool.” He stated.

I pressed on the breaks hard bringing the car to a halt. I was wearing my seatbelt so I didn’t feel the impact. But Caleb, who was too lost in his thoughts to wear the seatbelt, was thrown forward. I gripped the steering wheel tightly.

Inside my head, I tried to memorize the table of fifteen.

Caleb tried to open the door but failed to do so.

“Open the door Ash.” He demanded.

“Wait!” I muttered and dialed Hailey’s number. Before, I was thinking of going to the party but now I can’t do that. My mood is at its worst right now. I want to punch Caleb so hard.

“He’s here.” I said as soon as she picked the phone. “You can come outside and get him.”

“Are you not coming?” She asked.

“No, I’m not.” I replied.

“But why?”

“Didn’t you say you don’t care whether I come or not. Caleb has to be there. He is here now. Get him before he makes a run.” My voice came out harsher than I had intended.

“I’m sorry-,” she apologized sensing distress in my voice.

“Just come and get him. I’m leaving in two minutes.” I hung up.

A deafening silence fell inside the car. Neither Caleb said any word nor I. I closed my eyes and rested my head against the headrest reciting the squares of numbers inside my head. I didn’t want to think about what Caleb said. I don’t know why he said that but that was completely out of line. I’m never going to forgive him for that.

What am I even thinking? Stop it!

The square of twelve is one hundred and forty four. The square of thirteen is one hundred and sixty nine…

“Ashley,” Caleb’s voice interrupted me when I was at the square of twenty six.

“What?” I asked opening my eyes.

Maybe Hailey had arrived. I looked around for her and sure she was heading in our direction. She had a boy with her. I couldn’t see him in shadows so I thought it was Logan. But then he neared and I had no problem recognizing his face.

My eyes widened for a moment as I saw Blade standing with Hailey. He was dressed in black jeans and red shirt. I have to say, he looked good. Really good. That was the first time I saw him dressed in red. The color suited him well.

Hailey looked at me with guilty eyes and opened the back door, letting Caleb out. Blade was watching me the whole while with an unreadable look in his eyes. It was hard to see what was written on his face in the dim light. His stance was stiff so I suspected he was angry or upset about something.

He suddenly opened the door on my side. Hailey dragged Caleb with her and Blade looked at me. His one hand was holding the door open and the other one was on the top of car.

“Are you not coming inside?” He asked me, the earlier signs of stiffness gone.

“No, I’m not.” I refused looking at him. He was close and I could smell him. He smelt good. Like woods and wet soil.

“Did he say something to you?” He asked raising an eyebrow. I knew what he was talking about. A scowl appeared on my face. He had no idea what Caleb had said to me.

“So he did. I knew he was going to mess up.” He said nonchalantly.

“What do you mean?”

“This is a stage most teenagers go through. It’s a tough time.” He shrugged and then sighed. He shut the door. I watched in confusion as he moved around the car and opened the door of the passenger seat. He got inside the car and shut the door.

“What are you doing?” I asked him.

“I don’t want to stand outside in cold.” He said simply.

“You could have gone inside the house.”

“But I want to sit here and talk to you.”

“Talk about what?”

“Caleb,”

“I don’t want to talk about him.” Hearing his name brought sour taste in my mouth.

“I’m not going to side with him. I’m not going to talk against him also.”

“What are you going to talk about then?”

“Just general talk,” he shrugged. “Sometimes people commit mistakes and they don’t know how to make things right.”

I watched him as he spoke. His words weren’t fully registered by my brain. But I knew there was a deeper meaning behind them. I don’t from what book he had read them from but those words were right. But I had thought you say ‘sorry’ to a person in a situation like this and not mess it up even more.

It didn’t give him the right to hurt me like that. I was not doing it to get attention. Or was I?

Who am I kidding? I wanted his attention. I wanted him to see that I am his friend. That I am the one he needs and not his girlfriend. I had selfish motives. No matter how hard I try, I love Caleb and I’m ge bhi nitting impatient waiting for him to realize fully that I’m by his side. That I am the one for him. But he… I…

I sighed in frustration.

“Did I sound like an old man? I’m not old as I sound.” Blade pulled me out of my thoughts. I rolled my eyes.

Blade, you are not old but you sound mature for your age. I wonder why.

“So are you coming inside?” He raised an eyebrow.

“I don’t like parties.” I tried to make an excuse.

“Neither do I. But this is your friend’s birthday. And don’t tell me you came here dressed like that only to drive Caleb here.” His eyes roamed down my form. They didn’t move as slowly as Caleb’s had. “You look really beautiful. So formal and so mysterious.”

“Mysterious?” I wondered.

“Yeah. I’m thinking what types of surprises are inside.” He explained.

I looked at him for a couple of seconds before his words registered my brain. My mouth hung open. Before I could shout at him, he opened the door and ran away leaving laughter in the air.

Such a pervert!

*** ****

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.1K 1.3K 34
*WARNING, NOT EDITED* Ashley was in her Senior year of High school. She is 17. She has had a wonderful high school experience and is ready to finish...
501K 13.5K 45
She has a boyfriend. She's beautiful and I can't take my eyes off her. But she has a boyfriend. And her boyfriend is one of my "friends" ~~~~ I have...
2.4K 117 10
Ashley is 18 and is starting her fresh year of college with her best friends Bria, Tavon and her boyfriend Noah who's she been with since high schoo...
993K 17.1K 4
Tessa O’Connell has everything she’s ever wanted for herself by the start of her senior year in high school. With her loving boyfriend Jay and her be...