Astronomy/space facts

By DolphinTheCapricorn

Facts about the solar system and beyond! Learn what wonders are out there far from our Earth. More

Facts about the sun.
Facts about Mercury
Facts about Venus
Facts About Mars
Facts about the Asteroid Belt
Facts about Jupiter
Facts about Saturn.
Facts about Uranus
Facts about Neptune
Facts about Pluto
Information: Alpha Centauri A
Information: HD 188753
Information: TrES-2b
Information: CoRoT-7b
Information: HD 189733 b
Information: Crab Nebula
Information: Kepler 186f
Information: Sirius
Information: CoKu Tau/4
Information: TRAPPIST-1 and 7 Earth-sized planets
Facts about the Kuiper Belt
Thank you people!
Information: Pleiades (M45)
Wednesday, 31st of January

Facts about Earth

873 35 24
By DolphinTheCapricorn

1. Earth is the only planet in the solar system to not have a name of a greek or roman mythological figure.

2. Earth means a soil type of dirt.

3. Earth is the Third planet from the sun.

4. Earth is the densest planet in the solar system.

5. Earth is the largest of the four terrestrial planets ( Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars )

6. Earth is the only astronomical object known to harbor life.

7. Earth is the only planet that has an atmosphere containing 21% oxygen.

8. Earth is made up of two planets. It was known that years ago, A smaller dwarf planet was roaming through the solar system and then came face to face with Earth. The dwarf planet collided with the top part of Earth. The dwarf planet had not made it. Earth survived, but barely. The surface was covered in molten rock and lava similar to that of the dinosaurs collision. ( warning: four million pics ahead )

9. The Earth formed 4.54 billion years ago. ( wow you is old Earth. Jk, some other planets are probably older )

10. The Earth was once believed to be the centre of the universe.
Due to the apparent movements of the Sun and planets in relation to their viewpoint, ancient scientists insisted that the Earth remained static, whilst other celestial bodies travelled in circular orbits around it. Eventually, the view that the Sun was at the centre of the universe was postulated by Copernicus, though this is also not the case.

11. Earth has a powerful magnetic field. This phenomenon is caused by the nickel-iron core of the planet, coupled with its rapid rotation. This field protects the Earth from the effects of solar wind.

12. The gravity between the Earth and the Moon causes the tides on Earth. This effect on the Moon means it is tidally locked to Earth – its rotation period is the same as its orbit time so it always presents the same face to Earth.

13. The rotation of the Earth is gradually slowing down. The deceleration of the Earth’s rotation is very slow, approximately 17 milliseconds per hundred years. Eventually this will lengthen our days but it will take around 140 million years before our day will have increased from 24 to 25 hours.

14. Earth’s atmosphere is composed of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and trace amounts of other gases including argon and carbon dixoide.

15. The large amount of oxygen on Earth comes from our plant life’s consumption of carbon dioxide during photosynthesis. ( photo-sin-fa-sis )

16. The Earth has an Ozone Layer which protects it from harmful solar radiation. This shell is a special type of oxygen that absorbs most of the Sun’s powerful UV ( Ultra Violet ) rays.

17. The first life on Earth developed in the oceans through a process called abiogenesis or biopoiesis. This is a natural process in which life grows from non-living matter like simple organic compounds.

18. Earth’s water was initially trapped within the planet. Over time the Earth’s water was brought to the surface by the planet’s volcanic activity.

19. Earth has relatively few visible impact craters compared with other solid bodies in our solar system. This is because Earth is geologically active and has processes like tectonics and erosion that reshape its surface.

20. The highest point found on Earth is Mount Everest which reaches a height of 8.8 km.

21. The lowest point on Earth is called Challenger Deep and at 10.9 km below sea level, it is further than the peak of Mount Everest.

22. Earth has one of the most circular orbits of all the eight planets. Its axis of rotation is tilted 23.5° away from the perpendicular of its orbital plane, which produces the seasons we experience.

23. A year on Earth lasts just over 365 days. It is actually 1/4 of a day over 365 days which is why we have a leap year every four years. Addition - We have a leap year because the Earth slows down and it takes an extra day to complete a full orbit around the sun. The reason the Earth slows down is because of the friction between the Earth and the Moon.

24. Earth has at least 1 or 2 'mini moons' that also orbit our planet. This shocked scientists. Meaning that there has been more than 1 moon. But it's still considered a mini moon and not a real moon so Earth still has one moon. ( so. He's been Hiding it all along, haven't you earth? Earth: ⊙_⊙'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 68 11
He's missing again Be careful. He's going to get you He looks innocent but he isn't. No one will know you were killed and eaten. He's going to get...
8K 133 19
"Time is running out.. with all that gone.. you shall be lost... forever.." a solarballs inspired story originally came from "random solarballs stori...
55 1 3
In the vast space of the known universe, life itself has its own values and its agendas, due to every planet that exists within. From the dark clouds...
32.2K 676 49
Just some head canons and one shots stories of my favorite web show called "Solarballs" and maybe a lot of stories that is a fake scenario or short...