Nothing Wrong With Being a To...

By Dostomozartsky

People say that love is in every corner... looks like Riley's been walking in circles. You see, Riley is a pr... More

Chapter 1: Bats, Punches, and Crushes
Chapter 2: Overconfident Tomboy
Chapter 3: Deal With an Imp ✔
Chapter 4: First Date ✔
Chapter 5: Little Did He Know ✔
Chapter 6: Riley Benjamin Doesn't Blush
Chapter 7: Weak Truth
Chapter 8: The Tomboy, the Player & the Wardrobe
Chapter 9: Cupid Takes Over
Chapter 10: A Night to Remember
Chapter 11: Lost in Our Hands
Chapter 12: Bad News, Good Miseries
Chapter 13: Crushed From Rolling in Woe
Chapter 14: Shanghaied By Feelings
Chapter 15: Lies and Other Agonies
Chapter 16: Loss of Bravado
Author's Note: Please Read
Chapter 17: A Drop of Love in the Ocean Of Hopelessness
Chapter 18: The Word Left Unsaid
Chapter 19: New Start; New Costume
Chapter 20: In Your Deadly Arms
Chapter 21: Rout Even
Chapter 22: Going Out of My Head
Chapter 23: Throwaway Twofold
Chapter 25: Through Gardenias
Chapter 26: Soppy Hearts
Chapter 27: Better, Restored, Lovelier
Chapter 28: Ringed Happy Luck of Ours
Chapter 29: The Beginning of the End
Acknowledgments

Chapter 24: Fraidy-cat's Nods

40.4K 880 170
By Dostomozartsky

He skidded across the shining basketball court and twirled around, dodging an angry Celtic warrior. Then, gracefully, he ran closer to its target, bouncing the ball with disciplined force. Smoothly and gloriously, he grasped the ball tighter and rose it up above his head to shoot it. And as I expected, the ball spiraled in the air all the way to its aim, until it rotated around the red ring, slowly yet victoriously dwindling inside.

“Pay!” I shouted practically on Tony’s ear as I jumped on top of the couch; just as me, the overexcited crowd cheered as Tony irritably hit the coffee table.

“Dang it!” he sighed.

“I told you Derrick Rose is the new Jordan,” I smugly stated as I held my palm out for him. “Now pay.”

“No way! That’s some stupid wannabe who would get injured if he keeps jumping around like a monkey,” he barked back, fishing out of his back pockets what was mine. “Here, twenty.”

I seized the bill and grinned at him. “Annyeong-haseyo!” said a squeaking voice. “Did I say it right, Nat?”

“Very good,” responded Skittles, as we heard some batter, “Now stir it good, Olivia.”

Tony and I snapped our sight to the kitchen, behind our couch, and smiled at each other when we saw them cooking some desserts. “She sure is a keeper, huh?” I whispered at him when I practically saw a drool on the corner of his smiling mouth.

Tony lagged to meet my studying eyes. He just nodded, sighing contented. “Oh, yes.”

Jealous, I sat back straight and started to devour the hot dogs set before us, as the game started. After some minutes, Tony joined me back and sat in his previous position. Though I was assessing the game and prognosticating what team will win, my ate up mind forced me to swallow those hot dogs, not caring if I was hungry or not. Hunger was my excuse, but I was actually swallowing thoughts of last night.

With every hot dog, came a thought of lust, kisses, tongues and I had to push those hot dogs—I mean, thoughts—away. Somehow.

“The hell, Riley? Poor Andrew, man, if you swallowed him like that,” Tony mused loudly while he shook his head.

Widening my eyes, as the scene was processed inside my brain; I spat my mouthful of wienerwurst outside. Soggy chunks were stuck at the screen, hiding the competing players as the chunks slithered down leisurely. “Tony what the heck?!”

Tony wrinkled his nose at the disgusting screen, then, he shot me a glance and shrugged. “What? Don’t lie to me, Riley, you’ve lived with him.”

“So? I haven’t even—,” I was going to say kiss, but that would be a total lie. And to be honest, we were getting at it last night. So…

Tony raised an eyebrow as a smirk skimmed across his lips. “Really now?”

“Shut up! You haven’t even got to second base with Skittles!”

“Of course, we have!” he shouted almost trying to believe it. Subsequently, he glanced back at an oblivious Skittles and then back at me, “Okay, we’re waiting for the right time.”

“You?” I gasped in disbelieve, “Tony Piazza is waiting for the right moment to make out with his woman?”

“Shut up!” he bellowed angrily as he tied my cranium with a headlock. “You’re such a chicken—whose mouth is so loose that it slips everything!”

Laughing out loud, I broke loose and grinned at him, “Tones, that doesn’t even make sense.”

“Yes, it does,” he argued, “It does when the man you love is so crazy about you he even wore a chicken costume to see you.”

My grin shrank into a thin line as I frowned. “What?”

Tony’s lips twitched and his charming eyes widened. “Oops.”

“Antonio Giuseppe Piazza!”

“Okay, okay, okay,” he whispered, glancing sideways before nearing closer to me. “Remember the chicken delivery man who I tackled?”

Skeptical, I slowly nodded.

“Well, it turned out to be Pizza Hater! He said my name and everything!” Tony chuckled at the memory while I processed everything. “He must really be desperate or really in love with you to use that costume. I wouldn’t even—Riley, are you okay?”

Gulping down a foolish grin, I nodded again. “I’m fine.” So… it was him? Macarena Chicken was Boba?!

“Mommy!” I heard Olivia scream as some footsteps echoed. “Daddy!”

Trying to ignore my thumping heart, Tony and I stood up simultaneously. “Hey, Alexis!”

Glancing at Tony’s abrupt hollers, I managed to swallow my pride and prepare to confront misinterpretations. “Uh, hi, Alexis.”

Olivia hugged Alexis’ long leg, as she grinned up at her idol. “Mommy! Did you bring me the book?!”

Alexis quickly smiled at us to smile down at her daughter, “Sure I did, Olivia.” She squatted down to give her a little book she hid behind her. “Here you go, princess.”

“Oh, Mommy, Daddy, I love you! Thank you,” Olivia grabbed the book and hugged both of her parents, hanging herself from their necks.

Skittles stealthily made her way to stand behind Tony. They held their hands together and I saw the sweet assuring squeeze their hands shared. My heart collapsed downwards unto an empty unknown hole. Holding back the pictures of Andrew that flooded my mind and soul, I tried to snap my sight back at my family.

“Hey, guys, we brought the wine!” Alexis said; a huge grin on her face as she wiggled the bottle. “Hi, there Nat, how you’re doing with our Guido?”

Skittles flashed an awkward smile as she slightly bowed at them. “Hello, Alexis-san, we’re doing very good, thank you.”

“Isn’t she so adorable?” Tony whispered as he jostled me with his ego.

I just nodded.

“Howdy, ya’ll,” said a deep enchanting voice drowned in a southern accent, “Tony, how’s it going?”

“Everything’s great!” Tony walked toward Ryan, shaking their hands in the meeting. “How’s music?”

Ryan’s perfect set of teeth sparkled as he slightly chuckled. “Not so good, but what can I say?”

My heart began to drum erratically when his bright, clear, and blue eyes were locked with mine. A shiver ran down my spine as a video of memories played throughout my mind. “H-hey, R-Ryan,” I weakly greeted.

Ryan blinked a few times at me before walking closer to me, “Hello, little Riley. I haven’t seen you in a coon’s age.” The way he confidently pronounced my name, pulled me to a daze of unknown despair.

“Y-yeah,” I smiled warily as I glanced at Alexis—who studied me and pursed her lips.

But as my eyes slid back again at Ryan, I couldn’t help but remember…

“Alexis!” a slurring deep voice hollered. “Alexis! Where are you?”

Ignoring his drunken act of Stanley Kowalski screaming out, “Hey, Stella!” I continued to comb my hair. I made sure to make it just like my beautiful big sister: slowly and caringly.

“Alexis!” I heard a loud thump before some footsteps wandered around.

But he was calling Alexis, and she was still at work. Maybe he’ll pass out, that good-for-nothing, I thought dismissively. Clumsily, I clutched the red lipstick and painted my lips with it.

Suddenly, the door was slammed open. “Alexis,” he bellowed with a restrained anger.

Spinning around on the chair, I stood up and tried to keep my feet strong. “Alexis is still working, Ryan. Maybe if you take a shower,” I said… in my mind. Because of his glorious yet dreading state, I was muted. I couldn’t talk. Much less when I saw him, walking smoothly towards me.

“Aren’t you going to ask if I found a job?” he smirked with a dark glint inside his eyes.

Not knowing what to do, I just nodded.

His light chuckle reverberated through the room, as I stepped backwards, trying to get away from him. “Well, as you said, nobody wanted to hear me.” Leisurely, he took off his flannel shirt, revealing toned muscles and a sun-kissed splendor that didn’t belong to me.

Fastening my eyes shut, I tried to speak, but swiftly, I felt some hot air breathing near my face. “Alexis,” he whispered heatedly, and I opened my eyes. “I need you now.”

Overpoweringly, I was pinned against the wall, as a hand snaked around my stomach and under my oversized t-shirt. That unwelcomed hand made its way up through my back to unclasp my bra, while I felt some unwelcomed lips pressed against my cheek. 

In that moment, I knew I had to do something. Angrily, I began to shake my head and I used my hands to push him away. “No!” finally, my throat let out.

“What’s going on here?” a familiar voice froze the frenzy.

“Alexis?” Ryan stopped and turned around to see a scowling Alexis. Swiftly, he glanced back at my terrorized face and his bloodshot eyes widened. “Little Riley?”

“…That sounds delicious, Nat. Well, let me help you. Come, Olivia,” Alexis’ voice brought me back.

As I fluttered my eyes, I saw that I was the only one standing. Tony and Ryan where already sitting together on the couch, watching the game. Skittles, Alexis, and Olivia were at the kitchen, laughing and cooking. Sighing, I slumbered next to Tony and watched the game.

A loud obnoxious laugh made me snap my eyes to him. “Little Riley always hanging with the boys.”

“Ryan, don’t let her tomboy looks fool ya. She had a boyfriend who was crazy enough to wear a chicken suit for her,” Tony blurted out. “Ow!” he cried after I smacked his head, “What was that for?”

“Now that takes the cake! Ain’t that the berries!” Ryan leaned forward and smiled. “Congratulations. But why the ‘had’?”

Looking away, I heard Tony explain to him my entire story. Thankfully, Tony didn’t know some stuff only me and Boba knew—like the fact that our relationship was a deal. Suddenly, a smile emerged from my mouth as I evoked the ridiculous Macarena dance Andrew made in his costume.

“Wow, what a love life, eh, little Riley?” Ryan chuckled as Olivia came running out of nowhere, looking as happier as ever.

“Guess so,” I replied, as I shot Tony a glare while he shrugged it off innocently.

“Daddy!” she swung herself around him, laughing with a tight embrace around him.

Ryan chuckled and placed Olivia on his lap, but unexpectedly, a loud row of applause coming from the television, interrupted the warm scene. We all snapped our heads to the elegant woman who introduced a person for an interview. “And after seeing such a beautiful crib, in How Celebrities Live, we are eager to ask a few questions to the escalating business man of the year.”

The room seemed familiar, though when the white leather couch came to the view, I knew it was Boba’s penthouse. “Who changed it?!” Tony bellowed angrily as he hunted for the control remote.

“No!” I flew an arm around him, stopping him as I continued to stare at the dirty screen.

“Mr. Lukewood,” started the interviewer. “We all know that you’ve become one of the most desired bachelors. Do you have any woman in sight?”

Gradually, the camera zoomed at Andrew—who wore a breathtaking smirk. “Well, don’t we all have somebody in sight?”

The perky woman laughed, “I think we do, but America is excited to know if there’s a lucky lady.”

Boba laughed and shook his head smilingly, “There is… she’s always been in sight. But sometimes it gets blurry—and it’s hard to see her. Other times, it’s sunny and the light shines on her face…letting my heart know that she’s there—she’s always been there.”

“Aw,” cooed the woman, “Aren’t you a romantic fellow? But is she a singer, a famous gal?”

Again, a sweet chuckle was the response of the man that has turned my life upside down. “No,” he shook his head, “She’s an abnormal and contradicting woman, but I guess that’s love. It blinds you.”

“So, you’re saying that your love life is complicated?”

“Pretty much, but no matter what happens,” Andrew paused to fix his stunning gaze to the camera, “I’ll be there for her. Even if she doesn’t want my heart, it’s wholly hers.”

It felt like he said that to me… as if his words whirled directly at my heart. “That’s Riley’s ex-boyfriend,” Tony whispered out loud.

“Whew,” Ryan whistled, “Isn’t he a tight sweet talking thing?!”

“Excuse me,” I said out low, standing up and heading to my old room. I felt everybody’s eyes following me as my ears faintly heard the sports men narrating the game.

As I closed the door, I felt a huge nostalgic feeling draping the cataracts of my eyes, urging them to open up with full glory. Turning around and watching the whole darkened room, I saw a couple dancing in the middle of the room. They swayed warmly and beautifully, making me choke in a sob as I felt tears rolling down. “Boba…” I sighed before I covered my mouth.

I need to be strong. I am strong. But stopping him was the hardest thing I had to do.

A loud knock vented in the appearance of Alexis. I could smell her; she always used the same perfume. “What do you want?”

“A bit bitchy, aren’t we?” her tone was filled with amusement.

Groaning, I threw myself at the bed and buried my crying face away from her. “Leave me alone, Alexis,” I whined.

Not long after, I felt a weight near me, pressing the mattress downward. “Michelle,” she said in a soothing way. And for the first time, I didn’t felt angry at her for saying my second name. “Michelle, I know how you feel.”

“Why are you saying that?! There’s nothing wrong with me. I’m perfectly fine. Weren’t you cooking? I’m hungry.”

“Look at me, liar,” she chuckled and I obeyed. “I saw him on TV, Riles,” she wiped my soaked cheeks with her thumb, “I know how it feels.”

“I was a fool, Alexis. Just when I had him, I told him I pushed him away for the second time,” I blubbered, hiding my cries on her lap. 

“Oh, wow, I don’t get your personal life, but I want you to know that I love you and I’m always gonna be here for you, but you have to fight for what you love, Michelle.”

Feeling her hand caressing my hair brought me memories of our childhood. “I’m sorry, Alexis…”

“No, I am the one who has to apologize for running away from a misunderstanding,” she sighed and continued to appease me, “I don’t want you to be like me—running away from everything that was unclear. You might have done the right thing by turning him down, but anybody who runs away and doesn’t say what he feels, is a coward.”

Remembering that he confessed what he felt before leaving, I smiled warily and started to sob. “He’s not a coward. I am the coward.”

“Did you tell him that you loved him?” she asked calmly and I shook my head. “Do you love him?”

Taken aback, I rose myself up from her mothering lap, to stare at her with a blank face. “I—“

“Michelle, what do you feel when you’re with him?” she rose an eyebrow, slyly hiding an entertained smile from me.

Blinking a few times, I answered, “I feel like the world stopped, and my heart’s racing off my chest. I feel that I’m standing at the edge of a cliff when I’m near him. I feel that and so much more.”

“Have you told him that?”

My eyes fell and I shook my head, “No.”

“Then, what are you waiting for?”

Her contagious smile educed a twin on my lips as I hugged her unexpectedly. “Oh, Alexis, thank you so much.”

“Riles, just tell him everything he needs to hear. At least you will be valiant and not a coward. And maybe—who knows?—maybe that’ll do.”

She tightened the embrace and a loud relieved sigh slipped away—from both of our mouths. “Alexis, I’m so happy to see you smiling and Olivia skipping around. I’m glad to see you’re back with Ryan.”

I was waiting for her to grimace, but she held the smile. “And I’m sad to see you like this. Michelle, when I picked Ryan up from the airport—we talked. And he told me everything that happened and why he left. He couldn’t bear to look at you in the face, knowing what he did to you. When he came, he decided to go to Alcoholic Anonymous. He’s changing and it’s heartbreaking to know that I judged you.”

“Alexis—“

“Let me finish, Michelle,” she cut me in, “Secretly, I blamed you for him leaving me. I thought you were the reason he left me, but now I know that you were the reason that he decided to change. If that wouldn’t have happened, Ryan wouldn’t know that he was deep in alcoholism.”

Not knowing what to say or do, I just smiled at her.

“Come, I’m hungry too!” She jumped on her feet and hauled me with her to the kitchen. “How’s the roasted turkey, Nat?”

Skittles turned around and showed off her pink apron, “It’s done. Help us to set the table, Olivia.”

After sitting down at the table and eating together as a family, I was in the sink, washing the dishes while I heard Tony telling some lame jokes and making Skittles laugh her distinguishing laugh. Smiling to myself, I continued to scrub the plates until I felt a presence getting closer to me. I swung my gaze over my shoulder and saw Ryan bringing some glasses.

“Now shut my mouth! Little Riley is washing the dishes?” he feigned astonishment as he set the glasses near the sink. “Aren’t you a grown woman now?”

“I am, you good ol’ boy,” I mimicked his accent. “Help me dry the dishes, would ya?”

“Sure will, ma’am,” he tipped an invisible hat and grabbed a towel while he stood next to me, towering me a good foot longer. “Now, miss, what rolled down with Mr. Tight?”

“Tight? Ryan, do you know that in the city that means like hot or very sexy?”

He stole a quick glance from me and chuckled sheepishly, “No, ma’am, I didn’t. Tight means rich. I meant rich. Well, every dog has a few fleas. Don’t get the short end of the stick, little Riley.”

“You and your southern slang, Ryan,” I laughed.

“You’re barking at the wrong tree, ma’am,” he laughed, “but I see someone is too big for one’s britches.”

“I guess I am.”

“Hey, can you hold down a whistle?” He looked at me with a huge grin while I frowned.

“In English, cowboy, in English,” I returned the smile.

Ryan shook his head and pulled a box out of his pocket, “Can you hold down a secret?”

“Yeah,” I nodded, “Sure.”

Gently, he opened the little black box to disclose a beautiful yet simple engagement ring. “I had to mend the fences by working down a construction near downtown to pay up this baby.” He told off proudly and satisfied at my reaction.

“It’s beautiful, Ryan! Are you going to…?”

“Shush,” he winked playfully, “Sun don't shine on the same dog's tail all the time, so I better do this quick. I’m tying the knot before someone else bites the dust.”

“You love her, don’t you?” I said, admiring his sudden change and positive attitude.

“Yes, ma’am. Now, don’t bite off what you can chew, little Riley. I say, give down the country to that man and go hog wild with him.”

Laughing, I dried my hands and patted him on the back, “Ryan, I forgive you. I always did. I wish you the best, cowboy, go on and hog wild with Alexis too.”

Ryan blinked a few times at me, a meek smile slowly appearing. “Thank you, little Riley.”

Nodding, I smiled back and headed back to the living—where Tony helped Skittles with her coat. “Just in time, Riles, are you coming?”

“Where?” I asked them, glancing at Alexis who motioned us to keep it down—since Olivia was sleeping. “Sorry,” I mouthed at her.

After Tony shrugged on his black coat, he took mine off the coat hanger and gestured me to come. Waving goodbye to Alexis and Ryan, I mouthed a ‘congratulations’ to them. Ryan’s cheeks burned red while Alexis frowned at both of us.

“Come on, it’s going to be late,” Tony urged me.

Hastily, I closed the front door and seized my coat off Tony’s hand. “Let’s go!”

♦♥♦

“So… where are we going?” I said after minutes of strolling around the wintry city. Stopping near a coffee shop, I turned around to see the two lovebirds brushing their noses together. “I mean, were you guys are going… alone, together, without me?”

Skittles slightly kissed him on the cheek and a vague picture of me kissing Boba swept over me. Sighing, I managed to control myself from running to his house and kiss him again. “To a Lord Advert’s play!” Skittles squealed overexcited while Tony groaned.

“Well, Tones, good luck,” I jested as I schemed how I was going to spend the rest of the night. “See you guys, later.”

“Goodbye, Riley-san,” she hugged me quickly and randomly, pinched my cheeks. “Now, smile.”

“We’ll check later, Riles,” Tony hugged me too and ruffled my hair with a smirk. “Be careful, now.”

Nodding, I kept my ground and waved at the cute couple that laughed as they directed themselves to a theater. My eyes wandered around the noisy, cold and egoistical city. People passed me by in their hurry while random cars followed by in a loud honking rush. Lights shone throughout the buildings as the sun hid behind them, running away from us and letting the moon take the spot of the stage we call earth. 

Without any aim, I sauntered across the street and stood in front of the busy coffee shop, debating whether should I drink one coffee. But for what? To remember and feel more love-struck than before?

“Riley?” an acquainted voice resounded.

Leisurely turning my sight to the source of the voice, I smiled. “Ayden,” I greeted him. “It’s been a long time.”

“You look… great!” He scratched the back of his neck, nervously.

But I couldn’t say the same about him. He wore dark and baggy clothes with dirty boots—something I’d never imagined that this player will wear. Some dark crescents dangled under his azure eyes, while his face was covered in scruffy blonde stubble. 

“Thanks,” I kept on the smile while he shifted his weight on his left foot.

“Hey, um, do you want to drink a coffee?” he offered thoughtfully.

“Yes.” It was weird yet assuring; some part of me knew that I was safe with Ayden. My heart didn’t speed, neither my hands got sweaty. All those corny symptoms were stole by my boss.

“One cappuccino,” I ordered to the bartender.

“Make it two,” Ayden stepped next to me, taking out his wallet and bills out of it. He saw my frown through the corner of his eye and smirked, “Were you expecting to pay? I invited you—I pay.”

“Ayden Jackson, being chivalrous—that’s a new one!” Briefly closing my eyes, I grinned at him with exaggeration.

We sat down aside the shop; the coffee shop window made us company as we glanced to the breezy winter outside. “They say tomorrow will be snowfall. Some say it’s gonna be a blizzard, others say it’s going to be a winter wonderland.”

“I love snowfalls,” I commented as I gazed away through the window. “It reminds me of snowball fights.”

“I was the king of snowball fights,” he ruminated excitedly.

“I know—I remember. You use to beat everybody and grin at those who were covered in snow,” I said, calmed yet sad at the reminders of the years I spent, looking at him from the sidelines. “I never had the gut to ask you to do a snowman with me—I was always scared you said no.”

I blew on the cup’s top, to cool it down while the sweet, strong, and alluring fragrance whipped my smelling sense. Peeking up at Ayden, I saw him thoughtful and troubled. “I’m sorry, Riley.”

“What for?” I forced the keenest smile.

“’What for’?” he repeated, almost irritated, “For using you and ignoring you when were kids.”

“Using me?”

For a split second, he looked away to pull his gaze back at me, “How’s the cappuccino?”

Feeling frustrated, I decided to let it slip as I took a cautious sip from my cup. “It’s good. How’s yours?”

He did the same and nodded, “Good, too.”

After a long and thick silence, my smile faded and I stared intently at Ayden. “So, you used me? For what?”

I was trying to hide my evident anger; somehow I couldn’t pull it off. “Riley,” he sighed, rubbing his golden whiskers in ponder, “Remember when you asked me if I loved you?”

 Not holding back the grimace, I nodded.

“Well, I lied,” he leaned forwards the table; allowing me to see the puffiness circling his eyes. “I was familiar with being in love and I know that type of torture.”

If he was going to confess, I wouldn’t be able to bear it, so I cut it off and went out straightforward. “You don’t love me.”

It was a wished statement, not a hoping question. “No, I’m sorry, I don’t. I used you, to try to forget about love.”

“You know, I always knew you were using me. I just was blinded by illusion—by you,” I smiled vaguely as I continued, “To have a chance with you sounded too good to be truth.”

“And to be honest, when you seemed the only girl who didn’t want me, that made me want you more and more,” he sheepishly chuckled, “And I felt like shit when I slept at night, knowing I was just using you to make this girl jealous.”

“Just like Andrew,” I sighed as the warming smell and feeling wrapped us both in compunction.

“But he ended up falling hard over you,” Ayden sought for my gaze, with a worried look on his face.

Using this time to open up to someone, I shifted on my seat and leaned forward. “Ayden, you know how I got tangled with Andrew, and using this as an excuse, I’m going to tell you something.”

“Right. Go ahead,” he seemed quiet enthusiastic to hear me and empathetic, while he continued to drink his cappuccino.

“I don’t know if you’ve talked with him, but now he works for his dad in their big company. And turns out I’m his assistant…” I continued to tell him all the things that happened, keeping aside some details.

He chuckled lightly as he smiled, “Destiny’s funny, don’t you think?”

Looking again at the night through the window, I blurted out: “I love him.”

“Then why aren’t you guys together?”

Observing his serious expression, I reflected upon it. “He’s with Lora.”

“I know,” he chuckled again, “I’ll ask again; why aren’t you guys together?”

It took me a few seconds to catch his intention, and when I did, I frowned. “I don’t know.”

“You don’t know or you’re afraid?”

Stunned, I widened my eyes at the confrontation. “Gees, coming from the guy who used me, sure it helps!”

Ayden erupted in a row of laughter—which I joined—and shook his head, “I guess some surprises life threw at me, made me mature.”

“Ayden, have you been alright?” I quickly glanced at his worn out coat and tired face.

“Like I said, some news and twists life threw at me, changed my life.”

“Care to share?” I asked, already knowing.

 I mean, Lora woke me up yesterday from the nap I took at the restaurant with her screams. She yelled to the whole world that she slept with Ayden and that she was pregnant. That was the reason why I ran to the bathroom and cried. How could I keep watching Andrew soothing her? I couldn’t, so I ran away… like the coward I am.

“Actually, no. It’ll probably make you want to slap me again,” he joked, “Riley, can I advise you something?”

“Sure.”

His eyes narrowed at me and he pursed his lips in distress, before saying tensely: “Stay away from Lora. Just keep your distance from her… J-just stay away from her.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3M 229K 21
She didn't fall, she was pushed. Let me explain more, yeah? She was pushed, by her best friends, into a guy- but not just any guy. Cyrus Angelo, the...
2.1K 75 26
A parody... except it slowly gets less satirical as I get way too attached to the characters and turn the story into a shipping-fest ~~~~ "Why are yo...
1.3K 127 40
Riley Devin is just a sixteen year old girl, she isn't popular, she only has a couple friends, she's a nerd, and she has been getting over her first...
20.1K 754 36
Meet Cayden Young She is your definition of a bad girl: late for school, late for class, late to pretty much anything and just doesn't care. But whe...