A Mountain Kingdom Cries

By RedAndYellowRoses

It is medieval England and King Lois hosts a fox hunt through his land. As the Lords and Ladies race ahead, o... More

The Prologue
Chapter 2 needless separation

Chapter 1 The Gathering

9 0 2
By RedAndYellowRoses

They had been hiking for the best part of two days and even though their feet were weary, they still had an endless stamina to reach their goal. They were close to half way now, still a few more camps to go.

Lydia Barrow, a bright young girl of sixteen stopped and took a deep breath in through her nose. A sweet scented air lay all around.

‘Hmmm. I love the smell of outdoors!’

She flicked her mid length golden brown hair and looked behind her. Her Brother Thomas, who was seventeen, walked up beside her.

‘I don’t know what you’re talking about. All I can smell is my own sweat, I need a shower. Maybe you do too!’

He was rather more blunt than Lydia ever was.

‘You always smell’ concluded Lydia triumphantly as she tried to wrestle her brother playfully, how dare he say that!

Finally when Thomas caught Lydia in a headlock, Lydia sighed and stopped struggling, it was no use trying to take down Thomas, but she always did it anyway. Then Chris, Thomas’s close friend walked up looking at the map, putting down his massive rucksack.

‘Hello! We wandered where you had got to!’ Thomas grinned from ear to ear, still with Lydia in a headlock.

‘Now now Tom, I’m sure Chris was just admiring the beautiful grass that grows on the side of the hill’ mocked Lydia, trying to look up at Chris. Chris, still panting heavily in the heat of the afternoon, looked down on the pair from behind his map and realised that they were both wearing the same mischievous grin.

‘Alright! I’m taking it easy, we are ahead of time and it is our holiday. Besides, I have the only map since Lydia’s has ripped. So you are relying on me!’

Lydia and Thomas Barrow were both dedicated hikers and lovers of the outdoors. They were quite childish towards each other, especially Lydia in her ways, but they knew how to have fun. They constantly teased each other but usually knew when to stop. Anything beyond that would be dangerous and you would really be asking for it!

They loved exploring new places and would not stay in one place for long (unless it was to sleep of course) and they grew up fighting imaginary beasts and legends as they were very fond of that sort of thing.

However their differences lay as Thomas liked the practical side of things, he was very clever but he also was respected and respectful as a natural leader. Lydia on the other hand was a very optimistic, creative person who could see alternatives to things or could invent things in her vivid imagination.

Christopher Dikes was quite different to the Barrows as he was quieter and understanding and just in his ways. He had near to jet black short hair and was the tallest of the group. He and his three cousins on his mother’s side (as he had no other cousins on his Father’s side) also loved the outdoors and so the Barrows’, the Dikes’ and the Keans’ would all usually stick together. They were very entertaining when they all got together and the six of them would form a group that the family was never able to control in the nicest possible way.

On this occasion, they had all finished school for the summer and to celebrate the ending of exams ( They were all similar ages you see ) they organised a six day camping trip with the ‘Young Hiker’s Organisation’ hiking across Dartmoor. Just to brush off the cobwebs. Chris’s cousins were to join the group that night at the dedicated place to camp and then join them on the rest of their walk.

Thomas eventually got tired of wrestling and released Lydia to sit on one of the rocks that imposed on the hill. Lydia, having been freed, went up higher to look at the view around. The endless lush green fields and stone grey quarries filled her with an uncontrollable excitement. She had a vivid imagination and would imagine adventures and scenarios from books and things. She walked around in circles on the soft springy grass to ease her feet from aching before she sat down and drank some slightly warmed water from her flat pack container. It was a swelteringly hot day.

‘Ready to move on?’ asked Chris expectantly. He didn’t want to stop for too long. Lydia jumped down from the rocks.

‘Ready.’ She replied. So they headed down the steep hill.

As they came down the long grass that grew along the side of the hill, it became thicker, taller and less easy to find a clear path through.

‘We’re going to lose Lydia in all this tall, elephant grass!’ Thomas joked. And right enough as Lydia bounded down the hill to catch up with the others, she yelped as she fell forward and onto her side. Giggling helplessly as the weight of her rucksack held her down. Thomas came over to give her a hand back up. She gladly accepted but laughter filled Thomas and Lydia so much that they couldn’t compose themselves before moving on.

They walked tirelessly on and up the other side of the steep valley. They were in good spirits as the sun shone down in a cloudless blue sky. Once they had got to the top, they quickened their pace a little. Every now and again Lydia would rub any lose hairs out of her red, dry face, tucking it back into her untidy, knotted ponytail. Silence lay among the small trio as each person was thinking about the steps ahead. The only sounds were of their footsteps, a softening crunch on the tufts of vegetation, and the sound of heavy breathing.

It was not long before they stopped again as they reached a small stream. Thomas and Chris covered their hot faces with splashes of icy cool water. Refreshing their flushed cheeks with the shock of the coldness in the crystal clear water. They moved following the steady flowing stream. Their pace was much slower now as time drew on. The afternoon came to a close and they felt their feet dragging slightly. They walked in a line, hand in hand as they approached their goal.

At about five o’clock when they reached the campsite. The camping field had already begun to grow busy with people pitching their tents, cooking their meals and preparing themselves for the night. Numerous metallic sounding knocks, plastic utensils and chattering voices could be heard in the cheerful site. About one hundred were expected to turn up at the grounds that night and Chris, Thomas and Lydia, who had almost run out of energy and were ready to just relax, felt that it was helpless looking for the others. Nevertheless they embarked on the impossible search.

‘ It’s like finding a needle in a haystack!’ Thomas said, quite exasperated. His whole face said it all. They were quite hungry and tired by now and Thomas was beginning to lose his patience. Lydia looked less worried as she tried to think of a way around the situation.

‘Why don’t we phone them on their mobile?’ asked Lydia quietly. It wasn’t the best idea she had come up with.

‘Oh yes, yes, a very good idea, “hello? Yes where are you? Oh right by the bushes did you say?” Lydia there is nothing that could help us, look around for crying out loud.’ Thomas replied.

‘Alright it was only an idea.’ She responded primly

‘Well it wasn’t a very good one.’

‘You come up with something then!’ retorted Lydia in an aggressive tone.

‘Guys, calm down please! Your both getting really crabby with each other and it’s not going to help the situation. What we could do however is…’

but he never finished his sentence because just then, a girl came up towards them wearing a great big smile. She had a mop of untidy ginger hair tied into a rough bun, which was falling out in a lopsided fashion. She was lightly dotted with freckles but not too noticeably. Her hands were deep inside her pockets as she walked up with a small sway in her step.

‘Hadassah!’ cried Lydia with excitement. Forgetting about the circumstances for a few moments.

‘Alright guys, we’ve pitched up both of our tents, no need to use your tent, have you got your rations? Because we have got the water boiling. Everything is set up, all you need to do is turn up. Where have you been?’

‘Don’t ask.’ Replied Chris before anyone else could say anything and they followed Hadassah across the large, trodden down field. Glad that they wouldn’t have to pitch the tents that night.

Hadassah Keans was a well meaning, honest but loveable character, always on the go. She was well known as ‘Dess’ to her friends and close family and was quite feisty, as she always stood up to herself and for others. She has a very good aim, and was particularly competitive. She was seventeen and also had an older brother of eighteen and a younger sister of sixteen.

Lucas Keans was her brother and as he was a little easier going than Hadassah, he generally got on better with Melanie, the youngest sister. He too had ginger hair and was very much like his sister in looks but he was significantly taller than Hadassah or Melanie. He was humble, generous and courageous and even when he did something brave, he did not boast in vein afterwards. His agility, speed and stamina suited him very well and aided him in every kind act he would do.

Melanie was even quieter. She had beautiful golden long hair, and dazzling blue eyes. She was probably the most lady-like too. You would often find her in a quiet corner, trying her best not to draw too much attention towards herself, even around her friends. She was a very good navigator and could see extremely well.

Hadassah lead the drooping group around the puzzle of tents and through the dimly lit campsite, as it was ever growing dark and it was very difficult to pick a way through the field.

They arrived, now exhausted from the day’s expedition, at a cosy little pitching of two small tents, a little stove and some chairs which formed a small circle. Two of the seats were occupied already.

‘Hallo, how was the hike down here?’ the warm, friendly voice belonged to Lucas as he stood up to greet the weary company with hugs and smiles.

‘I’m glad we are here now.’ Yawned a tired Lydia. ‘Goodness, it’s strange without my rucksack on my back.’ As she said this, she walked in a dainty, disorientated little circle. Lucas laughed.

‘Time we got you some food, you sit down, I’ll do it for you.’

‘Thank you Lucas, I’m all out.’

Melanie thought that there was little else to do, so sat back quietly.

As Lucas selflessly pottered around the stove, the others wrapped up in thick layers in the icy chill of the evening and went to sit down.

‘So these chairs and things belong to the organisation did you say?’ Chris asked Hadassah. Lydia sat in between with her eyes firmly shut.

‘Yes, we are allowed to borrow them for tonight, they own the shabby looking hut at the top of the field. They…Lydia, what are you doing? Are you tired?’

Lydia groaned and replied with a mumble.

‘I’m aching all over. My eyes are closed until my food comes!’

Thomas, who had sat down next to Melanie, talked to her as she looked a little left out.

‘So I understand that you came down from Postbridge?’

‘We left there at midday, there wasn’t much ground to cover.’ She replied. Her voice as soft as flutes, a sweet musical sound.

They group talked on, glad to be together again at last.

The last flames of the sun glared down onto the little brook which passed through the field. The light danced on the water playfully and Melanie watched intently, finding it more interesting than the conversation.

Someone, somewhere in the field, was playing a guitar, and the clear sounds of each chord rose above the hubbub of the camping ground, travelling far beyond the hills surrounding.

The sun finally sunk into the West. Then the atmosphere grew quiet again, as if by magic, or conduct. The group carried on through the night in whispers.

Melanie slipped away into the tent for a good nights rest and nobody minded her sudden disappearance. One by one they said goodnight until only Chris and Lydia and Thomas were left.

‘Well, I’m getting a bit sleepy. I will leave you two out here I think.’ Thomas rose and gave Lydia a knowing look, covered from Chris by the darkness. Lydia ignored it but smiled a little inside.

‘It’s good to be out here again with you guys,’ Chris sighed. Lydia looked at him earnestly from over her scarf, peering out from underneath her hat.

‘you do look funny in all those layers’ Chris laughed kindly.

They talked quietly for a while before going into the cramped green canvas tent to snuggle into their separate sleeping bags. Lydia hardly had to put her head down before a gorgeous deep sleep overpowered. No more sounds were heard as the realm of dreams fell apon the moors and clusters of stars twinkled like jewels in the sky above, surrounding a full, silver moon.

Melanie did not sleep heavily that night and woke in the early hours of the morning. Every sound that was heard, she was sure to wake. She restlessly moved from one side to the other until she was forced to fetch her water bottle. Melanie quietly unzipped the tent and crawled out into the freezing air. She could see her every breath before her as she gasped in the sudden contrast of temperature.

Many in the camping field that night, were disturbed by dreams and often woke up in distress. They had not had nightmares, but their dream had been so lifelike, that they felt threatened and begged to be woken.

It wasn’t long before Melanie had drunk her fill and went to the brook to fill her bottle up once more. she turned to look in an Easterly direction. The faintest glimmers of sunlight rose coldly from the valley where the brook ran to. Melanie was glad that her night was over and confidently started to walk back to the tent. She sat in a chair that had been carelessly left out by Lydia to watch the magnificent sunrise.

The clouds burned with a pinkie-orange glow and the sun rapidly rose out from its hiding place. Melanie was enjoying the show so much that she was oblivious to the rate of the sun until it was growing, a golden ball in the sky. Slightly worried, she watched as the sun blazed to a deathly white and grew until the whole sky was overwhelmed. Now very afraid, but not sure what to do, she scrambled quickly into the tent and through to her sleeping bag just as the sun reached it’s peak of blinding light. Despite her sweaty panic, she shut her eyes and to her relief, fell into deep slumber. Soon this horrid dream would go away. Soon enough, the light faded to normality. Melanie felt that she could release the tension from her eyes once more, and in confidence, she sat up in her bed. But as she did, she did something that she had never done in her life. She screamed.

Continue Reading