New Year's Eve

By closemyeyesandleap

Follow a couple's journey as they meet at the same place, the same time, every single year. Follow them throu... More

New Year's Eve
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
Epilogue

11

130 7 10
By closemyeyesandleap

New Year's Eve 2013

Age: 23

I checked my hair and make-up in my compact mirror, ensuring that I didn't look bedraggled and annoyed. Grunting at my sweaty appearance, I stuffed the compact mirror in my bag. I then stomped through the doors to the function room.

I hated long-distance, solo car journeys. The long, unaccompanied hours. Ratty drivers who seriously needed anger management. The hours of traffic that seemed to go on forever. And it was even worse on New Year's Eve. Combined, all these reasons made driving one of the most annoying ways to spend my time.

But all the anger cleared away as soon as my boyfriend cradled me in his arms. I was — quite literally — swept off my feet.

"I've missed you so much," Robert commented into my shoulder. He then placed a passionate kiss on my lips. "How was it?"

"Great thanks," I replied. "Everything seems to be working out fine."

After winning the art competition, one of the biggest galleries in London displayed my artwork. Someone big in the art world spotted one of my pieces, and they wanted to order more. Enough so that it could fill a whole exhibition. It was insane, but I couldn't refuse the opportunity. The owners put so much faith in me and they wanted me to help oversee the whole proceedings.

I had been down in London for the past few days, sorting out last-minute touches. It was all panic stations as the exhibition was due to open in a couple of days. I was more than happy to go down and help — although I would miss Robert like crazy — as long as I was able to go home for New Year's Eve.

We had been running late down in the gallery, which wasn't a massive surprise; nothing ever ran on time. So, I had to get changed there and make the typically four-hour drive back in the quickest time possible. Hence the reason I had come back irritable and looking a little worse for wear.

"I worried you wouldn't make it," Robert told me, with a concerned expression in his pretty eyes. Those eyes still captured me, even after all this time.

"I'd never miss this for the world and you know it." I grinned before standing on my tiptoes and placing a sweet kiss on his lips.

"Of course." Robert smiled. He then grabbed my hands and yanked me towards the dance-floor. "Come on, let's dance."

I rolled my eyes, but let him lead me around the dance floor. The songs blasting through the speakers were up tempo, so we danced around like children. You could make us go through university and give me my own art exhibition, but put on a catchy song and I would never act my age. Everyone should have known that by now, so I had no idea why we received so many funny looks. I shrugged them off and continued dancing.

Before I knew it, the buffet was open and — as per usual — we both stuffed our faces before getting up to dance again. I'd never laughed so much in my life, and it cemented the fact that I was totally and utterly in love with Robert. I would be in love with him for the rest of my life. Despite our hardships, we had come out of them stronger than ever before. We wouldn't have been so in love if those things hadn't tested our relationship.

The slow dances came, and we were one of the first couples to find our place on the dancefloor. Both of my parents joined us, dancing in time to the music and I had to suppress a coo. It was great to see my parents still so in love after years of marriage. I only hoped Robert and I could be as strong and sustained as that if we eventually got married.

The slow dances eventually came to an end, and we all had to make our way outside. I was reluctant to pull myself away from the warmth of Robert's embrace and lead him outside. Robert was behind me the whole way. He hugged me to his chest as if he sensed I was going to get cold. It was like he was warming me up before the chilly winter air hit me.

We followed everyone outside, and I stood beside both of my parents, who both gave me an excited smile. I returned their smile with a confused gaze. I mean, the fireworks were freaking amazing, but I didn't think my parents got so excited about them.

"What's up with you two?" I asked them both, bemused. "Is there a reason you're so excited to hear Frank's speech?"

Mum shook her head. "Nope, no reason."

I eyed both of my parents before leaving the subject matter and turning back to where Frank was standing. He stood in the centre of the field, clutching a wireless microphone. Mia stood a couple of feet away from him.

"Can I have everyone's attention, please?" Frank asked, and the conversation stopped at once. That was how much power Frank had over his employees. You could see he was a respected man. "Now, I know you're all expecting a speech about the company's achievements from the previous year and goals for the next. But something different is happening tonight. So, can I please ask my son Robert to join me up here?"

At Frank's words, my eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. Why did Frank need Robert to go up there?

I turned to look at Robert, to see if it confused him as much as it did me. But Robert's face was the opposite of mine. He sent me a small — yet nervous — smile. He threw me a cheeky wink before disentangling himself from me and walking up to where his father stood. Frank grinned at him and slapped him on the back before passing the microphone to Robert.

That didn't help my confusion whatsoever. I would have followed Robert and stood near the front of the crowd; that would be my usual move. But I was in such a state of shock that I could barely even blink, let alone follow my boyfriend to where he stood.

Robert lifted the microphone to his mouth, licking his lips a few times. He nervously addressed the crowd, who seemed as confused as me.

"Hey, everyone. I'm Robert, Frank's son." He said. I chuckled at him because Frank had literally said the same thing a moment ago. "And you all already know that," Robert laughed. "Wow. Erm, I thought I was fine until Dad thrust the mic into my face. Now I'm extremely nervous."

Everyone who was watching chuckled, and that put Robert at ease. That was what Robert was like. He was such a fun, bubbly guy when he was alone, but put him in front of a crowd of people, or a hint of nerves attacked him, and he rambled like a madman.

Frank also chuckled at his son and nudged him playfully. Robert's head turned towards his father and he whipped his head back to the crowd. I take it that was a subtle hint from Frank to get to the point.

"Okay, so I've come up here to tell you about someone." His eyes found mine in the crowd and his eyes glistened. He seemed to get a sudden confidence boost, as if my mere gaze gave him the strength to continue. "Someone very important."

I felt a blush creep into my cheeks as Robert's eyes didn't seem to leave my face. He wasn't talking about me, was he?

Robert cleared his throat before continuing. "I met this amazing person ten years ago, to this very day." Shit, he was talking about me. "As soon as this little thirteen-year-old stomped — somewhat reluctantly — into my life, I knew nothing was ever going to be the same again. She brought me out of my shell, and she made me laugh. Which was a massive thing because — and anyone who knew me back then will understand — I hated these parties." He then sent a wary look towards Frank. "Sorry, Dad." Everyone in the audience chuckled and Frank shrugged, letting a smile grace his face. "Yeah, so this girl was pretty amazing. She had me excited to come to these parties every year. And even when things weren't on the best terms; I still wanted to see her face. Who is this amazing person you might ask? Well, this person is not only the love of my life, but she is my best friend too. Scarlett, can you come up here please?"

My eyes brimmed with tears as I thought about all we had been through over the last eventful decade. Everyone's eyes turned towards me as I made my way up to my boyfriend. I was being extra careful because I was wearing heels and I would probably fall... Now that would've been very embarrassing.

When I got to Robert, he gave the microphone to his father and took both of my hands in his. I threw a tentative smile up at him; I still had no idea what he was playing at.

"You can all hear me, can't you?" Robert called to the audience. They all replied in the positive and Robert chuckled. "See, I don't need a microphone!"

Everyone laughed, and Robert's charisma both surprised and pleased me. I squeezed his hands to give him a push to get on with the point. His lips formed into a bashful smile.

"Scarlett," Robert smiled. "You are my best friend and I love you so much. We've had so many trials and tribulations, but the ups outweigh the downs and I wouldn't change a single word of our story. So, I wondered," Robert said as he got down on one knee and pulled a red velvet box out of his pocket. I gasped and covered my mouth with my hands as tears pooled in my eyes. I couldn't believe that this was happening. Things like this only happened in fiction.

"I wondered," Robert repeated, smiling because he spotted my reaction. "If you would do me the honour of becoming my wife." He opened the box, and the most beautiful diamond ring I had ever seen in my life sat on the satin lining. Not even romantic-comedies could top this. "Will you marry me?"

"Yes!" I said around the tears in my eyes and the enormous lump in my throat. I nodded so enthusiastically I thought my head was going to drop off.

Robert grinned and stood up to the sound of everyone's cheers and congratulations. He took the ring out of the box and slid it onto my finger before grabbing me by the waist and spinning me around in the air. This wasn't an unfamiliar gesture for Robert to make; I would usually get dizzy and scream for him to put me down. But nothing could stop the huge grin from spreading across my face. I spotted, out of the corner of my eye, my mum and dad. Mum was in floods of tears and Dad was trying his best to comfort her. Although he wasn't doing too well at hiding his own emotions.

When Robert finally put me back on the ground, he placed both of his hands on my cheeks. I saw he had tears in his eyes and I knew I mirrored his expression — only I was crying much more than he was. He brought his head down to mine and placed a long, passionate kiss on my lips, which I was only more than happy to return. I grinned at him when we finally tore ourselves away from each other.

"Happy New Year, Scarlett," said Robert.

"Happy New Year, Robert," I replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that's it! It's all finished, awww :(

I do have the Epilogue to come though, so keep your eyes out for that.

Thank you to everyone who read, commented and voted for this story, you've been a great encouragement. I only wanted to start this story because I thought this would be something different to both read and write, so thank you so much for reading! Just think, this is my first story on Wattpad that I have actually finished!

Again, thank you so much and keep your eyes peeled for the Epilogue!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 62.5K 53
"For a place called Paradise City, this island sucks. I don't think a single day has gone by that I haven't thought about stabbing the shit out of my...
1.2K 100 51
Eve Harper hasn't had it easy in life, but with her small family and friends who'd do anything for each other, she's pretty content. She hopes everyt...
13.2K 336 5
What will you believe in? "It was love at first sight.. the thing is-- I'm not going to meet him ever again." -Ava Wellington Two years ago, Ava went...
235K 11.8K 14
Seventeen-year-old Nora isn’t one for celebrations, but her family is. It's Fourth of July and they have been invited to an old friend’s fancy picnic...