Descendants of The Sun: The S...

Bởi ApplePie0097

The love story between a soldier and a doctor reaches new heights, as their bond strenghtens to a point where... Xem Thêm

Prologue
Chapter One-Part One
Chapter One-Part Two
Chapter One-Part Three
Chapter One-Part Four
Chapter Two-Part One
Chapter Two-Part Two
Chapter Two-Part Three
Chapter Two-Part Four
Chapter Two-Part Five
Chapter Three-Part One
Chapter Three-Part Two
Chapter Three-Part Three
Chapter Three-Part Four
Chapter Three-Part Five
Chapter Three-Part Six
Chapter Four-Part One
Chapter Four-Part Two
Chapter Four-Part Four
Chapter Five-Part One
Chapter Five-Part Two
Chapter Five-Part Three
Chapter Five-Part Four
Chapter Six-Part One
Chapter Six-Part Two
Chapter Six-Part Three
Chapter Six-Part Four
Chapter Seven-Part One
Chapter Seven-Part Two
Chapter Seven-Part Three
Chapter Seven-Part Four
Chapter Seven-Part Five
Chapter Seven-Part Six
Chapter Eight-Part One
Chapter Eight-Part Two
Chapter Eight-Part Three
Chapter Eight-Part Four
Chapter Eight-Part Five
Chapter Nine-Part One
Chapter Nine-Part Two
Chapter Nine-Part Three
Chapter Nine-Part Four
Chapter Nine-Part Five
Chapter Ten-Part One
Chapter Ten-Part Two
Chapter Ten-Part Three
Chapter Ten-Part Four
Chapter Ten-Part Five
Chapter Ten-Part Six
Finale
Afterword

Chapter Four-Part Three

2.4K 51 31
Bởi ApplePie0097

"Take ownership of your actions."

(Yoon Myeong Joo)

   Mo Yeon nervously stood behind the protective body of Si Jin's as he held her hand and then slowly proceeded towards the stranger. Mo Yeon suggested whisperingly that they should call the police, but Si Jin decided against it, for the man may look harmful but he has never responded aggressively ever since they arrived at her home. "Stay behind me." He ordered as he took a few cautious steps closer to the stranger. "Excuse me, sir. Please turn around."

   Si Jin and Mo Yeon heard a loud sigh coming from the stranger before slowly turning around to reveal himself. It was at that moment when Mo Yeon recognised who that person, who was approximately in his late fifties, was.

   "A..abeoji?" Mo Yeon muttered out, causing Si Jin to glance at her in complete surprise.

   "Abeoji?" Si Jin turned to the man whom she said was her father. "That man is your abeoji?"

   The man simply let out a smile. However, as comfortable jis smile was, he looked frail. "It's been a while, my daughter. I hope I'm not intruding."

   "...Abeoji.." She muttered again, not knowing what to do. All she could do at that moment was to just stare at her father, the man who had irresponsibly left her family without a trace.

*****

   It was already half past eleven at night and most of the neighbours had already gone to bed. While the neighbours enjoyed their sleep, a total opposite of the otherwise peaceful environment occured in the interior of the doctor's house. An unlikely guest had appeared right at her doorstep, and ironically, it has been eighteen years since she last seen her father. They felt awkward seeing each other; notable by how distant they were based on their actions.

   Si Jin initially planned to leave, fearing that his presence would only interfere the reunion since he was not legally linked to her family just yet. It was unwise for a third party to influence certain family matters, his father reminded when he was young, and this is the situation where his father's advice came to play. However, Mo Yeon somehow 'pleaded' him not to leave, and so he stayed. Maybe she needed him badly at this moment, he thought, as a support.

   Ever since he knew her, she had neither once mentioned about her family, nor much of her background. All he knew was that she is a hardworking doctor who had once seeked materialistic needs before the earthquake changed her perspective. She was good in Mathematics, an other than that, she was immensely beautiful–in fact, too beautiful to be a doctor. She is self-asservative and independent and adaptable, and she survived pretty much on her own using her skills rather than her looks although in the end, she benefitted much from it. However, how she lived in her early years was a mystery. It was a strange thing that he even fell in love with her without actually digging a little bit into her profile.

   Well, love is blind.

   He had never thought of knowing about her family a little bit more, for he thought that it was unnecessary at this point. Little did he know that the truth would finally appear by itself, and right now, he was already introduced to her father. There were more stories she had never once told him about, and there will be no sleep until he knows everything about his girlfriend. His inquisitivity had gone up to new heights.

   Mo Yeon placed a glass of water on the coffee the coffee table as she reluctantly took her seat on the same sofa her father was sitting on as Si Jin sat at the opposite direction facing her father. She had this anxiousness mixed with nervousness on her face, and she avoided eye contact with her father even though her father seemed to be glad to be able to see her. "Why are you here, appa? What do you want?" She asked flatly, uncertainty evident on her face as well.

   Her father took the glass and drank the content in sips. Glancing at her with grateful eyes, he answered calmly in a fatherly tone. "I want to see you, my daughter." He studied her side profile. "Seolma, you are very beautiful, just like your eomma." He praised with a weak smile.

   Per mention about her mother by her father, she finally stared straight at him. "Jinjja?" She inquired. "Am I that beautiful to you....abeoji?"

   Si Jin could sense the somewhat mocking tone of her voice in that last question. He could tell from the bottom of his heart that she was utterly displeased by his praise. He kept silent though.

   Her father could sense it too, as he saw the slow, gradual change of expression on her face from a face of uncertainty mixed with sadness to the one with a slight flame of fury. It was greatly evident in her eyes, which was glaring in a rather dangerous stance which can kill a man. He knew that she was fuming in rage right now. In fact, she already was right before she sat on the sofa. Her heavy breathing told it all. "It must be hard for you, Mo Yeon-ah, and yes, you are beautiful to me." He replied with a smile despite knowing that in that emotion of fury, no sweet words from his mouth would work to seal the excrutiating pain inside her heart.

   "Then why, abeoji? Why? Why did you leave us?" She darted the questions to him in a tone of anger. "After all these years, why did you bother coming back now? What took you so long?"

   Her father simply stayed silent as she relented frustratingly. It would be better for her to let it out now than to pretend about her feelings. "Mianhaeyo, my daughter." He expressed guiltily. "I know that whatever I say right now will never change what I did. Mianhaeyo."

   "Mianhae? After all you've done, mianhae is the only thing you can say?" Mo Yeon hissed.

   "I know that it won't help, but please listen to what I have to say–"

   "What more do you have to say, appa?!" She interjected, eyes going teary. "What more do you want to say?! Do you think that if I listen to you, I will forgive you?!"

   Her father went silent once again, not knowing how to reply. He realised that she was still not ready for him just yet. It would be too much for her if he insisted with his way. Besides, she's his daughter. He never wanted to see her hurt again, after all the pain that he had inflicted on the family. It would be cruel of him to bring back that pain again.

   His reluctance to reply to her question was seen by her as a sign of hesitation, or cluelessness, or just plain ignorance–closely synonymous to the way he was when he left them to fend for themselves. That really broke her heart, for despite her not wanting to listen to his explanation, she sincerely hoped that he could shed some light for his reasons. Tears fell on her cheeks as the fury that accompanied her sorrow enveloped. "Daedaphaeyo.." She voiced out in a pleading tone instead of a furious one. She still had a certain degree of rationality in her. "Wae daedapi eopseo?"

   Just answer me, appa! Don't leave me hanging...

   Si Jin felt so alien in this situation. There was nothing he could do to deal with it. No military training can prepare him for a scenario like this.

   The sadness of her voice shattered his heart too, and soon, he found himself teary-eyed. It hurt him too much to hear her plead, for it reminded him of that unfateful day when she pleaded him desperately not to leave. "...Mianhaeyo, Mo Yeon-ah. That's all I can say to you." He stared at her face. "I am a bad abeoji. I left all of you....."

   "That's why, appa! Why can't you tell me why you did that?!" She blasted eventually, probably tired of all the apologies from him. She had heard it too many times that she felt sick about it. "Why must you do something that you will have to apologise for?! Is it worth it?! Did it make you happy to see us like that?!"

   "Mo Yeon-ah, please–"

   "Say no more!" She cut him off mid-air as she stood up in fury. "If you don't want to answer, then don't! I had enough, appa!" She cupped her mouth with her right palm as she began to tear uncontrollably. Si Jin and her father stood up. However, Si Jin was the one who reached her first, holding her arms to keep her steady as her father hesitated to move–guilt-ridden by his actions. As Mo Yeon's inner wall crumbled, she laid tearfully on Si Jin's chest, holding the sides of his shirt for dear life as she let out her sorrow.

   Her father saw how hurt she was as a result of his hesitation, and seriously blamed himself for it. The sadness was thick in the air that he felt absolutely uncomfortable to stay in there any longer. Despite the urge of wanting to hold his daughter badly, he knew that she needes the time to accept that he had returned. After eighteen years of absence, he appeared so suddenly without prior notice, so it was understandable that she was confused.

   Well, at least his daughter now had a shoulder to cry on, and he was pleased that she had found the man she really loved. From the way he stroked her back in such a tender manner, her father knew that they will have a good future together.

   Knowing that he had to leave, he took his jacket. "Young man," He called out to Si Jin, who instinctively glanced at him. "Take good care of her. She needs you more than me." He gave Si Jin a warm smile before heading towards the door.

   "Jamkkanman!" Si Jin suddenly called out, causing he father to turn around. "I'll send you out. Just wait here." Si Jin invited as he slowly and carefully brought the distraughted lady to her room. Her father, somewhat sensing that the young man wanted to talk, decided to wait.

*****

   "Go have some sleep. You have work tomorrow." Si Jin caressed her hair soothingly.

   "Did I messed up?" Mo Yeon wiped away her tears.

   Si Jin simply gave her a comfortable smile. He held her left hand, gently rubbing it with the tip of his thumb. He let out a sigh before replying, "You got too emotional, that's all."

   "So I did messed up."

   "Give yourself time. Do it when you are ready. For now, get some sleep." He pulled up the blanket all the way to her chest. Then, he carefully leaned down and planted a kiss on her forehead. "Goodnight." He caressed her cheek before excusing himself.

   Just as he was about to get up from the side of her bed, suddenly, Mo Yeon grabbed his hand. "Si Jin-ah." She called out as Si Jin turned around. "Mianhae. Our date ended badly. This is unexpected."

   Si Jin simply clicked his tongue upon hearing her apology. He let out an affectionate smile before sitting back down and planted a deep kiss on her lips, hoping that through this way, he could soothe her heart. Maybe that was what she needed right now–a lip-to-lip tonic. "Don't be sorry. Our date's like that. We are a blockbuster couple, right? Blockbuster couples don't have good dates."

   Mo Yeon chuckled for the first time after her sorrow upon hearing his jibe. "Ige mwoya? Your way of soothing my heart?"

   "Ye, Mo Yeon-ah. I'm calming your heart in a sexy way. You can try again if you want to."

   His rather flirtatious statement earn him a light slap on his chest, causing him to giggle. "Byuntae! Now leave me alone. I want to sleep."

   "Oh, feeling sleepy already? I thought you want some more." He teased before planting another kiss on her forehead again, visibly pleased to see her smiling again. Although she might wake up tomorrow morning with the sorrow still embedded inside her heart, at least she sleeps with a comforted one. "Goodnight, my love."

   "Goodnight, jagiya."

*****

   The two men sat on a bench at a municipal park around her neighbourhood, enjoying the cool breeze of the night. It was already past midnight, but the two men had no intention of leaving the park just yet.

   "So, Si Jin, you are a soldier?" The father asked.

   "Ye. The 707th."

   The father glanced at the young man instantly upon hearing his answer. He slowly let out a chuckle, causing Si Jin to stare at him curiously. "White Tigers, huh? I thought guys like you don't disclose that much."

   Si Jin let out a confident smile upon hearing the father's words. The line reminded him of someone who had once told him that way. "Well, you are her abeoji, so it's alright."

   Father. That one, symbolic word. Suddenly, that six-letter word became a burden to him–not in a bad way though. It's just that it became a burden for him to fulfill his duty that he had once let go. For eighteen years he had not been a father, and now that he had returned, he felt that burden all over again. It was his paternal instinct to go and hug his daughter who was in distraught moments ago, to comfort her the way a father should do but he was totally ashamed to touch her. He had not fulfilled his responsibility so what does he deserve to touch her. Everything that happened to Mo Yeon was all because of his doing, so he should be the one to take that painful punishment.

   He unexpectedly chuckled after a moment of silence. "Abeoji? What abeoji am I? I don't deserve such credit."

   Si Jin knew all the while that he was feeling guilty. His expressions, his actions, his words–all tell the same story. Yet, Si Jin could not do much. Si Jin knew that even if he were to step in and try to mend their ties, it was up to Mo Yeon and her father to make it work. Well, he could still try though. If it worked, he will be the happiest man in the world, but if it don't, it only means that they still need time.

   He felt sympathetic to the father and daughter, and he wanted to do something.

   "I know what you are thinking, young man. I heard it loud and clear." The father spoke suddenly, shaking Si Jin out of his reverie.

   "How do you know what I was thinking about?" Si Jin asked curiously. As far as he knows, only Mo Yeon and him had some kind of telepathic link between each other. Si Jin's one developed overtime, probably because he was deeply fond of her. His question was immediately answered all by itself when Si Jin realised that it was his father they were talking about. "Oh, mian. I forgot that you are her abeoji." Si Jin chuckled sheepishly.

   "Mo Yeon is a smart girl, but she doesn't socialise much. She did attend parties but not when she thought that she needed to. That's why she only had a small connection of friends." The father explained smilingly. "I don't know, but I think I gave her that ability." He chuckled. "Like me, it will only work if she is really close to someone, like you."

   "Did Mo Yeon read your mind before?" Si Jin found himself asking.

   The father gave out a sigh upon hearing that question. He turned away, drooping his head down to the grass below. "She never did."

   Si Jin was rather surprised to hear that reply. If her ability works when she is really close to someone, then why couldn't she read her father's mind? "She never did?"

   The father nodded his head dejectedly with a heavy exhale.

   "How come?"

   "That–is best explained some other time, young man." The father slowly got up from his seat after taking a short glance at his watch, indicating that he had to leave. "It's late. I should probably go home. My wife's waiting." He reasoned in a dejected tone as he began his slow walk away from the park.

   "You remarried?" Si Jin asked again, probably surprised that he had a second wife.

   "It was just a mere transaction for mutual benefits. I help her get what she wants, and I got a place to stay." He replied. "I've never forgotten them, my family. Until now...I feel guilty." He ended the conversation with a comfortable smile before continuing his march down the pavement. Just then, he remembered something. "One more thing, Si Jin-ah.." He turned around, looking straight into his eyes. "I may not be a good father, or a good man, but I hope that with what you are doing right now, you will bring happiness to my daughter. Don't let me see her cry because of you, plus one more thing–never come back in a casket."

   The father then walked away without even waiting for Si Jin's reply. Si Jin could only watch as the figure of the elderly man moved further away from him, until at one moment, Si Jin could not see him anymore.

   "Don't worry, sir. I will never come back in a casket."

*****

Haesung Hospital Cafeteria
One week later
   Dr Pyo saw Mo Yeon walking aimlessly while holding her tray of food. She looked rather lost in the state of mind, and as what Dr Pyo expected, Mo Yeon knocked onto someone, causing her tray to fall in a loud, ear-piercing clatter which instantly gathered everyone's attention and the food to splatter all over.

   "Geez, this lady..." Dr Pyo muttered out softly as she approached to help.

   As for Mo Yeon, she apologised repeatedly to the person who in the end simply walked away on frustration. She hurriedly picked up tray and her phone she was holding onto before the crash. What she did not realise was that her coat was already stained by the sauce. When she saw the stain, she was furious.

   Ah, jinjja! Pabo Kang Mo Yeon! Pabo, pabo, pabo!

   "Aish, how am I going to get this cleaned?" She fretted as she took a piece of tissue from her packet and tried to wipe it off. It only made it worst as the stain spread further upon wiping, thus creating a yellowish patch. Stubbornly, she continued wiping, but she frustratingly gave up with a loud huff when it did not work at all. She placed the tray and her phone on the table in a loud bang, her left hand resting on her hip while her right hand touched the foehead of her frowning face. And then, in the weirdest of situations, she began to cry.

   Dr Pyo Ji Soo appeared unnoticed beside her, and began to wonder what happened to her. "Yah, Mo Yeon-ah, gwaenchana? Why are you crying?"

   "I'm a mess! Don't bother about me!" Mo Yeon sobbed further, even though she didn't see who the person was. Well, she didn't have to for she recognised the voice really well. Then, in one quick move, she turned around and walked away from the cafeteria, but not without saying, "Mianhae, Ji Soo-ah, but I need to leave for the day. I cannot work like this!"

   Ji Soo watched as Mo Yeon left the cafeteria in a hurry. Luckily, she remembered to grab her phone, or else Ji Soo would have to travel all the way to her house to give it back. Ji Soo noticed that the way she behaved today was dangerously similar to the way she was more than a year ago, and that began to worry her. She had been like this for almost one week.

   She knew it wasn't Si Jin, for this week, she saw him coming along with her early in morning and a few times, late at night when she's not on-call. They were perfectly alright, and even kissed in the open, so what happened now, she wondered. Her strange behaviour for the past few days, especially when she's alone, troubled Ji Soo. She realised that this cannot go on any further, so to deal with this situation, she decided to call Si Jin to clarify. Something was terribly wrong with Mo Yeon and Si Jin's the one who might know a thing or two about her condition.

*****

707th Special Mission Battalion Garrison, Seongnam
   "Pass the report to Daeryoung Park." Si Jin passed the camouflage-covered file to the soldier standing in front of him. The soldier, ranked Private First Class, took the file in a militaristic manner before snapping a salute and then left the room. Si Jin went on with his paperwork, but was interrupted seconds later by the ring of his mobile. He picked up the phone, expecting Mo Yeon, or if not, Dae Young or Myeong Joo to call, but when he saw the number on the screen on his mobile, he squinched his eyes in wonder.

   It was Dr Pyo, Mo Yeon's friend.

   Something's not right. Even though he shared his mobile number to all of her friends, just in case, Dr Pyo never once contacted him. Curious about her intentions, Si Jin swiped the 'Call' button and then placed the phone on his right ear. "Yeobosaeyo?"

   "Yah, Yoo Soryeong, what is happening?! Why is Mo Yeon like this?!" She sounded in what he thought was equivalent to that of a yell on the other line, causing Si Jin to retract his phone away and glanced at the screen to check whether it was the correct number. When she was done yelling, then only Si Jin placed the phone back to his ear.

   "Wha–what's wrong with her?"

   "That's why I'm asking you! As her best friend and confidant, I demand an explanation. Did you bully her?" She inquired aggressively, as if ready for a brawl. "Did you hurt her? Did you do something behind her back?"

   "Mwo? What are you talking about? What happened?" Si Jin asked back, his heart now growing concerned about Mo Yeon. "Or better yet, where is she? Why are you calling?"

   Ji Soo explained everything to Si Jin from start to finish. When the information poured in one-by-one, his face grew dull.

   "...that's what happened. I don't know why she cried. She also said that she needed to leave and cannot work under that type of condition." Ji Soo elaborated.

   Si Jin, from the way Ji Soo described it, finally understood what was happening to Mo Yeon. "She said that?"

   "Ne."

   "You said she needed to leave. Does that mean she skipped work?"

   "I think so."

   Instantly, Si Jin got up and stacked up the files on the table with his free left hand. He was still holding his phone. "Geurae. I know what to do. I'll go find her."

   "Yoo Soryeong, what's happening? Why is she like this? The last time she behaved that way was when we thought you were dead.".   

   Now this is something serious. Mo Yeon was getting too emotional, and she managed to hide it behind his back. He felt guilty all of the sudden for not being alert enough to her changes of emotions, and he blamed himself for it. He swore not to make her cry again, but now, she's crying without him knowing it. He needed to see her, now. "I can't tell you in the phone right now. I'll find her. Geureom." He ended the call abruptly before Ji Soo was able to ask again.

*****

   Si Jin arrived at her home, only to find the front door slightly ajar. Cautiously, Si Jin approached the door and pushed the door slightly. As he was about to call her name, he heard what he thought were soft cries coming from the interior of the house, which indicated that she was inside. Hearing the soft cries made him sigh in relieve as he stepped inside her home and closed the door.

   Her bag lied on the kitchen table while her doctor's coat, in which he saw had some yellow stains on it, was resting on the sofa. The house was otherwise dimly-lit as the blinds covered the windows, making the house look slightly darker than usual. Slowly, he tiptoed towards her room. Like the front door earlier on, the door of her room was also slightly ajar. Not wanting to intrude into her personl sphere just yet, he took a peek through the open space, only to see her sitting on her bed, her knees close to her face. He could see, like what Ji Soo said, that she was crying.

   Si Jin decided to go inside, so he slowly opened the door wider and squeezed himself inside. She looked undisturbed by his presence though, and continued to bury her face under the covers of her arms. Without saying a word, Si Jin sat on the side of her bed to her left carefully, and then brought her close to his chest, resting his chin on her head as he rubbed her right arm tenderly. She didn't flinch at all and instead let her tears flow out completely.

   "Mo Yeon-ah, why are you like this?" He asked in a soothing tone as he continued to rub her arm gently. "It's not good to skip work just like that, you know. That's not what you are."

   "I'm just.....hurt...." She sniffled. "I cannot stop....thinking about the night he left me, and eommoni...No matter how much I tried to get myself to work, that memory kept on playing in my head. I feel sick, Si Jin-ah. I can't stand it."

   Si Jin laid her head flat in his chest. "You were like that for a week. Why do you have to hide it from me?" Si Jin consoled. "If Dr Pyo hadn't called me, I wouldn't know that you will be suffering like this. Haven't I told you that everything you say is important to me?" He planted a kiss on her head.

   "I don't want to disturb you, that's all."

   "It disturbs me more when you don't tell me anything. Look what happen now, you even eacaped from the hospital. How am I suppose to feel okay if I were to leave for a mission when you are like this?"

   Mo Yeon simply stayed silent. Instead, she lefmt herself be immersed by the comforting sound of his heartbeat. She had to admit that for her to be able to hear his beating heart was a novel experience.

   "I don't know exactly what happened to you back then, but I trusted you. You don't have to tell me anything if it hurts you." He went on. "I just want you to know that you are my everything, and I want you to be happy. One more thing, your parents want you to be happy as well."

   Si Jin placed his fingers on her chin, and in a slow, gentle move, he lifted her head until their eyes meet. Somehow, the tears in her eyes only served to reflect the beauty of her perfectly brown eyes even more. He cleared away the tears on her face gently with the corner of his index finger, feeling his skin touch her smooth complexion at the same time. "Don't cry. My Beauty never cries." He said softly, using her callsign to calm her down.

   In response to his soft consoling, Mo Yeon finally let out a weak smile. "Mianhae. I've troubled you. You have to come all the way here in your uniform just to see me like this. I feel bad–"

   "Don't be. I love you, that's all that matters. Everything else is second option." He said in a confident tone. "Bet you haven't eaten lunch yet. Shall I order for you?"

   "Aniyo. I don't want any–"

   "Eyh, my Beauty needs to eat, only then you can maintain your beauty. No objections this time. You skip work, so you should be punished." He pinched her nose playfully while giving out his signature smirk.

   "Well, I deserved it."

   "Will porridge be okay for you?" Si Jin inquired like a waiter.

   Mo Yeon let out her smile and nodded her head. "Everything you cook is delicious to me."

   "You said that! I'm flattered!" Slowly, he got up. "I'll be done in no time. Just be patient." Then, he exited her room without even waiting for her to reply, his face plastered with a big smile. Mo Yeon simply watched him leave her room with a half-smile.

   However, she still felt pain inside her heart, and it never wanted to leave her alone. The sudden presence of her father reopened old wounds, and with old wounds came bitter memories. She couldn't hide the fact that she truly missed her father, but she also couldn't bring herself to forgive him just like that. In the end, she realised that it would be a long trial of reconcilation, and only time will decide their fate.

   But for how much longer can she be this way? In just one week, she looked like a complete mess. Her emotions interferred with her work and it was already driving her nuts. If this went on, not only Si Jin will be affected, but her entire friends and colleagues as well. She never wanted to be a burden, but it looks like things had turned for the opposite.

   I'm so sorry, Si Jin-ah. I have troubled you too much.

*****

Haesung Hospital
The next day
   P.A: Attention, all heads of departments and senior doctors are to gather at the meeting room at 1330 hours. I repeat, all heads of departments and senior doctors are to gather at the meeting room at 1330 hours. Director Jo has an announcement to make...

   At exactly 1330 hours, or 1.30 p.m. in the afternoon, the doctors gathered at the meetingboom just as instructed. Mo Yeon sat at her usual spot, albeit still having emotional swings due to her personal issues. At least her conditon improved slightly as compared to the days before, and she was no able to get on with her work. Like the rest of her colleagues, they were wondering about the sudden purpose of the meeting, especially when there was nothing in particular that required special attention of the Board.

   Well, that's what they thought.

   As usual, the Director and her crew will be the one that will arrive late. This time however, they brought in some guests–foreign guests.  Three foreign people–a lady an two men. The Director, wearing her black vest over striking yellow silky dress, gestured to the guests to sit as the meeting commences.

   The guests looked important, given the amount of special treatment they received. Curiosity was evident in the minds of the doctors in the room who were eager to know who they were. However, to say that all of the doctors in te hospital had no idea who they were was a pure understatement, for there were an actual few who did recognise the face of the foreign lady who was sitting amongst the Board members. One of them was Mo Yeon.

   At first, she had some doubts about it, but upon 'closer' inspection, her suspiscions were true indeed. Her eyes bulged wide upon learning about the foreign lady's identity.

   The foreign lady's name is Dr Athena Vogiouka, a General Surgeon from Uruk who had once worked with the WHO. She answered her nation's call of rebuilding the country's distrupted medical line that was severely broken down because of the year-long civil war. Although quitting her job at the WHO to devote her fullest efforts to rebuild their shattered infrastructure, her links with the WHO remained strong, and she was the one who had personally persuaded the WHO to extend their funding for the rebuilding project, dubbed 'Cluster Project'. Although a national favourite in Uruk and quite young at the age of thirty-eight, she stirred away from the limelight, and that was the reason why she was not well-known in Korea albeit a few appearances in health magazines.

   Mo Yeon knew about her from the magazines she read during her free time in the hospital, and instantly, Dr Athena became her idol. To Mo Yeon, she is a role model for all women around the world to empower themselves against the world ruled by men. Despite her Cluster Project still at its birth, during the first three months of the project, she and her dedicated group of volunteers had successfully reestablished destroyed medical centres in two states that were devastated by war. Already in its fifth month, the project is currenty focusing on rebuilding its main hospital in the capital city.

   Now that her idol is in Korea, and more importantly, in this hospital, Mo Yeon felt like she had just seen the best lady in the world. Her contribution to the medical world was undeniable and a great honour for doctors like Mo Yeon. Her presence made Mo Yeon's heart skip a beat in excitement, and she was very eager to find out about the purpose of Dr Athena's visit.

   After the Director's speech came Dr Athena's. Donned in her formal attire, she stood on the stage with confidence, and then began her speech.

   "Good morning everyone. I am Dr Athena Vogiouka, the chief of the Cluster Project. I know that my identity is not well-known in your land, and that we're on a tight schedule so I will cut on the introduction." She began in fluent English, a product of her days in England during her internship years.. "Further details about the project are in the brochures you will receive." She turned her head to the right and nodded to the secretary, who later instructed a few personnel to pass the brochures in rows.

   "The Cluster Project focuses on rebuilding our shattered infrastructure, as part of our government's efforts to reconstruct our nation devastated by war. We are currently in our third phase of reconstructing our medical facilities in two states, including our capital."

   Whispers began to circulate amongst the doctors as they received the brochures. Many of them looked quite interested, while a few maintained their thoughts about this matter. For Mo Yeon, receiving a brochure about the project was like attending a session of a recruitement drive.

   "I have heard about your hospital's involvement in our country two years ago, and I must say that I am very grateful to the volunteers of this hospital who had risked their lives under the war-torn state. News about your contribution to the rescue efforts during the devastating earthquake is a big welcome to my people." She expressed with gratitude.

   Mo Yeon suddenly sensed that there was something that Dr Athena wanted to say within those words of gratitude, and only one thing came to her mind.

   Volunteering.

   She's gathering volunteers, Mo Yeon presumed. That was her purpose of her visit. Now that was something very intriguing.

   Definitely the hospital will put her name in the list. She's the only one who had all the experience in leadership to lead a volunteer team, and the hospital's more tham happy to be able to sell their name in the highest prospects. To the hospital, it is a golden opportunity to go international on a larger scale. For Mo Yeon, it would mean another trip to the foreign land.

   The foreign land. Well, not so foreign anymore. Instead, for her, Uruk became some sort of their place of retreat, for this was the land where their love for each other rekindled after an eight-month spell. This is the place where everything started. This is the place where memories were made, and this is the place where all the drama took place.

   It's not like she's been there fo the first time, and the country had a special meaning to her heart.

   One thing that was holding her back right now was the thought of having to leave Si Jin behind if she ever got chosen. Plus, she had just met her father after eighteen long years. For her to leave just like will only make her look like she's escaping from reality. If she somehow never got into the list, then it would be great, but if she did made it to the list, and a high chance says she will, she will have a lot of thinking to do. It might be tough, but as always, one side of a decision doesn't always benefit the other.

   Never in her life did she knew that making a choice like this can be very difficult.

*****

Director's Office
   "Dr Kang, I would like you to meet Dr Athena." Director Jo gestured with a polite smile in English.

   Dr Athena reached out her hand for a handshake politely to the lady doctor to her left. "Nice to meet you, Dr Kang."

   Mo Yeon smiled sheepishly as she replied the handshake. "The honour is mine, doctor. I've heard a lot about you. What you did really touched my heart. It is an honour to see someone as great as you." She spoke quickly, couldn't hide the blush on her cheeks.

   "Well, none of my achievements are as great as you, Dr Kang. I heard stories about you when you were in Uruk."

   Mo Yeon's eyes went wide. She did not expect that her stint in Uruk would even reach Dr Athena's ears. "Ahaha...It was...uh...somewhat unexpected." She blushed as she rubbed the back of her head.

   The Director gestured them to their seats at the sofa as they continued to converse. "So, Dr Kang, I suppose you know why you are here." Director Jo questioned in a confident tone as she sat with her legs crossed.

   "I think I do." Mo Yeon nodded her head. She took the moment to scan their expressions thoroughly before she decided to voice out. "You need volunteers, do you?" She glanced directly at Dr Athena with an expression that showed that she was right.

   "I don't need volunteers, I hope for volunteers, Dr Kang. Need is a strong word for someone who is desperate." Dr Athena replied with simple directness. "You are the only one who suits our needs of a specialist. Besides, you've led a team there. The experience you have is useful to us."

   Mo Yeon could not say anything else. Dr Athena's simply giving her a lot of credit. She stole a glance at the Director, who seemed pleased with Dr Athena's idea. "Uh, I think that you have misunderstood, Dr Athena. I did led a team there, but coincidentally, something terrible happened, and we just acted accordingly. You have given me too much credit, Dr Athena. I don't think I'm the right person you are looking for."

   The doctor and the Director stared at each other with a soft chuckle, causing Mo Yeon to chuckle along sheepishly. "Dr Kang, we are ladies. Don't be so tensed." The Director jibed.

   "We're not recruiting you. We just wish that you can lead your team again to help out. Besides..." Dr Athena paused for a moment as she stared at the Director, as if seeking her permission to speak out. "We received reports of a possible outbreak of the M3 virus back in our region."

   For the third time of the day, Mo Yeon bulged her eyes in shock. The news was not welcoming. "What? How come?" She voiced out. "I thought the UN had the vaccines to stop it."

   Dr Athena let out a sigh. "Yes, they did. However, the vaccines never reached the countryside. The rebels are constantly hoarding UN supplies. Although we don't know how many had already contracted the virus, but the recent news came from a small village outside the capital. As you know, the government-controlled areas all received the vaccines, so an outbreak in the Green Zone is unlikely."

   "But it happened anyhow."

   "Yes. What's new is that the virus had mutated itself. It showed stronger resistance to the vaccine." Dr Athena sighed again. "The vaccines no longer work anymore, Dr Kang. The vaccines only help to alter the virus's DNA, making it stronger."

   Mo Yeon looked down dejectedly. She could not believe that her team's efforts have failed tremendously, after all the research that they went through and days and nights without sleep. "My God..." She muttered softly. Then, she remembered something. "Then why isn't the WHO doing anything?"

   "We tried, but no matter how much I tried, the WHO refused to give out a warning. There are no reported infections yet other than the village, but the first one we found inside the Green Zone is a male who probably managed to sneak out of the rebel-controlled area. He died, but I'm not sure how many had already been infected by him. The WHO thinks that the case was accidental because the man escaped and died in our area."

   "This cannot be! They should not do this!" Mo Yeon protested. She was fuming that the WHO preferred to stay and wait until something bad happens.

   "We did collect samples of the virus from him, but that was five months ago and the virus still had the same genome. We sealed the village off, fearing of a contagion. As expected, people started to fall apart." Dr Athena played with her fingers. "The numbers are too small to be considered as an outbreak. That's the problem."

   Mo Yeon soon realised the urgency of the situation. The virus must be contained and dealt with before it got worse. "What happens when the vaccine is administered?" Director Jo asked. "You said that the vaccine altered the virus's DNA."

   "Those who received the vaccines unexpectedly had severe allergic reactions. The allergies differed from one patient to another, but the common ones are swelling in the thoracic cavity." Dr Athena explained further, her expressions flat. "The virus used the vaccine as a host to create new breeds."

   Dr Athena glanced at Mo Yeon who looked quite uncertain of what to do, despite the clenching of her fists showed that she was well-aware of the consequences. "If the virus spreads out, it will create a chain reaction. The virus gets on the plane, well, you know what will happen." She talked further, testing the reactions of the brunette doctor. "We need everything you know about the virus, Dr Kang. Your earlier discovery helped the UN a thousand times."

   "I'm a cardiothoracic specialist, not a virologist." Mo Yeon replied back.

   "That doesn't mean you can't." Dr Athena said.

   Mo Yeon was taken aback by Dr Athena's reply. She doesn't know how to give up, Mo Yeon thought. Dr Athena apparently used the visit as a cover to seek for her help in defeating the virus, and it seemed to Dr Athena that there were no one else better than Dr Kang Mo Yeon.

   There were some politics at play, she realised. If the virus spreads, it will undermine international aid to rebuild Uruk from the ashes. Their government may have to resort to using black markets when they were out of options, thus allowing the rebel groups to have a say in politics. Ah, politics. The real killer of nations. No matter how much anyone tried to avoid it, politics will always determine the fate of everyone. Mo Yeon hated that, but as a doctor, she had an oath to follow.

   She never wanted to see Dr Athena's project fall. It is a noble mission, and must be continued. If she could at least lend in a hand in dealing with the virus, Dr Athena can move on in rebuilding their nation all over again. It is a mutual exchange, the one small step but will result in a bigger success.

   "It's okay if you don't want to go, but I really hope that you'll consi–"

   "I will go, Dr Athena." Mo Yeon interjected, her voice affirmed.

   Dr Athena was not exactly sure whether she heard it right. "I'm sorry, did you say that...you will..."

   "Yes, Dr Athena. I will go." Mo Yeon let out a confident smile, indicating that she had made up her mind. "I have unfinished business with the virus anyway."

*****

Later that night
   Si Jin nearly choked upon hearing her words. "You volunteered to go back to Uruk?!" He said it so loud that it sounded like a yell. He placed the cup of water on the kitchen table in a loud clatter.

   "Why do you sound so surprised? It's not like I'll be there like the first time." Mo Yeon sat down at the opposite direction. Seeing the weird expression on his face, she asked, "Waeyo? You don't want me to go?"

   "Anigodeun. I'm just....I'm just....Ah, molla!" He drank the water in a big gulp.

   He was anxious, she could see, for no apparent reason. Either it was what she said that spooked him or he went paranoid himself. Nevertheless, she touched his hand and gave him a gentle smile. "I'll be there for three months. It's just a hundred days without me. Or, if you want, you can follow, but I don't think that your command will allow that." She let out a sigh upon realising that she would be going there without Si Jin, her beloved soldier boyfriend.

   It was Si Jin's turn to console her, by giving her a peck on her forehead. With a cheeky smile, he spoke, "I'll be the most cruel guy in the world if I say no. I understand what you are doing, and as your namchin who had seen this beautiful yeoja in action, it is my duty to support you."

   "But, I'll be going without you. Don't you feel sad?"

   "What you are doing is noble. How can I be sad? In fact, I should be happy." He winked his eyes. "Geunde, what is this trip about?"

   Mo Yeon let out a sigh, not knowing where to start. "Do you still remember about the M3 virus?"

   "The one that nearly infected my beauty? Of course I remember."

   "The virus is back."

   Instantly, Si Jin went silent. The memories of him seeing her and Myeong Joo locked down in the surgery room back in Uruk immediately resurfaced. "How bad?"

   "I don't know." Mo Yeon shook her head. "I need to go there with my team to find that out."

   "Same place as the last time?"

   "Aniyo. This time we're going to the capital. I forgot what is it called. Is it Palio or Palia?"

   Si Jin began to chuckle upon hearing her clumsiness. Until now, she still hadn't get her geography right. "It's Palion. Seolma, how am I going to leave you alone when you can't even get the name right? What if you end up in a ditch again like the last time? Want me to fly all the way there to drop you into the sea?"

   "Yah!" Mo Yeon slapped his left arm, causing him to squeal in pain. The memory of that stupid see-through joke resurfaced in her mind. "Don't underestimate me! I'll show you that I can find my way!"

   "What? By wrecking three cars? You still haven't paid the installments for the military SUV you crashed."

   That joke earned him another slap on his left arm again. He squealed in pain upon receiving the blow, but in actual fact, he liked it that way. "Come on, it's just a joke!"

   "Don't you realised that you had just killed me?!" She stood up, banging her hands on the table and then headed towards her room in dejection. That caught his attention.

   "Mo Yeon-ah." He called her tenderly, but she just past him by, her aura of anger brushing him. Sensing his mistake, he got up and chased after her. "Mo Yeon-ah." He tried coaxing again by putting hia hands on her shoulders, pretending to offer a massage. Mo Yeon simply wiggle her way out of his grasp an quickened her steps towards her room. Little did he realise that she was infact enjoying the fun. Si Jin quickened his steps as well. "Mo Yeon-ah." He called for the third time in a span of three minutes.

   Still, she ignored him, prompting him to do something that will make her sorry for. Before she could open the door, all of the sudden, she felt a strong grip on her right arm, and then a strong pull that made her lean her back against the wall in a strong crash. Then, she felt his hands on her arms, pinning her against the wall. Wide-eyed, she saw the face of her boyfriend who had this weird, smirky expression that made her heart beat rapidly.

   His alpha dominance was strong, and she couldn't find a way out. "Yah, Yoo Si Jin-sshi! Mwohaneungoya?!"

   "I called you three times in the most tenderly manner I can muster, and yet you ignored me. What do you expect me to do?"

   The sudden coolness of his voice somehow made her heart beat way faster than before. His dominance was all but powerful, but other than that feeling of sheer power of an alpha male, she felt somwthing else as well, and it was making her hot for no apparent reason.

   Ani! Ige mwoya?! Why do I feel like this?! Must get out! MUST! GET! OUT!

   However, her body refused to move, as if her body ad fallen to the spell of an unseen force. She ended up looking straight at his eyes, and what she saw was not a feisty look of dominance, but a glance of affection. His eyes were somewhat soft and he felt the power if his glance transmitting all over her body.

   Yes, she felt what he felt–a strong sense of passion. The strong feeling of being one, and the strong feeling of wanting to be loved, intimately, passionately, sensually. She felt his grips on her arm lightened, and his right hand climbed all the way up to her neck, the touch of his skin sending waves of impulses to her already heated up mind. "You are very beautiful, Mo Yeon-ah. Do you know that?" He said it really slowly, making every word count in its power.

   "Yes, I am. What are you going to do about it?" She replied in a somewhat soft, tender yet flirtatious way, plastering a sultry smile on her face.

   "Teeasure you, my love. That I can." Slowly, he tilted forward, and when the fire in him reached to a pinnacle point, he let it out with the most amazing 'assault' he could ever make. It doesn't take a military strategy to do all that, it was just pure will and emotion, and the drive. He drove his lips tighter to her lips, feeling the sweetness of her scent as he nibbled it with utmost passion.

   She wrapped her arms around the back of his neck, bringing him closer to her body. This time, there was no holding back. She let herself loose to the fiery sensation of her body as she kissed him back with the same fire and passion. She felt his free left hand beginning to rub its way down to her bottom, and she stopped him straight away. "Don't." She pleaded. "Not here."

   It felt so strange. She wasn't like this before, and now, she's begging to be touched. This was a strange transition in which she realised that she had to deal with in the future. For now, let the borders loose.

   "Let's go to bed, shall we?" She invited with a sultry voice, feeling her breasts rising up and down so close to his chest that she felt the friction against it which turned her on.

   "Anything you say, my love."

   And the two of them entered her room, slamming the door shut as they went on with  passionate love-making.
============================
Thank you for your support, guys! I really love all the support you have given me. I'm currently not feeling well, so please forgive me if my story's a bit off.

Happy reading!

Spoiler: "I hate you, abeoji."

Korean military ranks
Daeryoung=Colonel
Soryeong=Major

Romanised Korean Words & Expressions
Appa/ Abeoji: Father
Seolma:  No way
Eomma: Mother
Jinjja: Really
Mian/ Mianhaeyo: I'm sorry
Daedaphaeyo: Answer me
Wae daedapi eopseo: Why are you not answering me
Jamkkanman: Wait a minute
Ige mwoya: What is this
Byuntae: Pervert
Jagiya: Honey
Ye/ Ne: Yes
Pabo: Fool
Gwaenchana: Are you okay
Yeobosaeyo: Hello
Yah: Hey
Mwo: What
Geurae: Okay
Geureom: Goodbye
Ani: No
Wae: Why
Molla: I don't know
Geude: Anyway
Mwohaneungoya: What are you doing

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

7.4K 314 11
"Doctor how is my wife? Is she ok" Taehyung asked while looking at doctor. "Don't worry Mr. Kim, Mrs. Kim is fine she just need time take a little r...
284 16 5
➳ sᴇᴏɴɢᴊᴏᴏɴɢ ___ ❝Just remember, in this world, everyone's a player. You either play the game or you get played.❞ In a dystopian city where memorie...
1.1K 73 6
How far can you go for love? Jeongguk has been on his own his entire life but he has never felt as lonely as he's been feeling these past few days. P...
37.2K 1.7K 67
When Dr. L/n Y/n, the psychiatrist in Haesung hospital gets called down to see a patient recovering from a traumatic accident, she encounters Yoo Shi...