Distinctly Different

By Miss_Ever_After

In the Kingdom of Amstia werewolves plague the towns and villages. Of all the six kinds of werewolves the whi... More

Chapter 1 ~ Wolves
Chapter 2 ~ Tragedy
Chapter 3 ~ King's Announcement
Chapter 4 ~ The Letter
Chapter 5 ~ The Hunters
Chapter 6 ~ Problems
Chapter 7 ~ The Hunt
Chapter 8 ~ The Inquiry
Chapter 9 ~ Lies
Chapter 10 ~ Surprise
Chapter 11 ~ Introductions
Chapter 12 ~ Detour
Chapter 13 ~ The Meeting
Chapter 14 ~ Tournament
Chapter 16 ~ Capture
Chapter 17 ~ Escape
Chapter 18 ~ Warning
Chapter 19 ~ The Unexpected
Chapter 20 ~ Masquerade
Chapter 21 ~ Side Effects
Chapter 22 ~ Realization
Chapter 23 ~ New Perspective
Chapter 24 ~ Threats
Chapter 25 ~ False Security
Chapter 26 ~ Exposed
Chapter 27 ~ Torn
Chapter 28 ~ Preparations
Chapter 29 ~ Defiant
Chapter 30 ~ Assistance
Chapter 31 ~ Luck
Chapter 32 ~ Execution
Chapter 33 ~ Waiting
Epilogue
Distinctly Different Update ~ Sequel

Chapter 15 ~ Help

1.5K 37 5
By Miss_Ever_After

Chapter 15

Rowan frowned as he watched Arabella’s exchange with Alexander. He couldn’t hear what was being said from where he was but he didn’t like it. He didn’t like Alexander, but he didn’t quite know why.

He sighed as he thought of the questions he would be asked by Rose. When Arabella had made her feeble excuse to leave Rowan had felt responsible. He told Rose and Eleanor that he was feeling well and then followed Arabella hoping to catch up to her.

He been about to call after her when he was unable to catch up but her behaviour made him reconsider. She had been acting weird. In a few occasions he had seen her hiding behind a wall as a burly man with copper coloured hair looked back. It didn’t seem normal and so he decided to keep tailing her.

His confusion had grown when he saw her follow the man into a local tavern. That was no place for a girl, he thought. He had never gotten the impression that she was that type of girl. He had stared at the tavern indecisive about whether he should enter. What would Arabella think if she found out that Rowan had followed her? He was willing to bet that she wouldn’t like it.

He sighed again and resigned himself to wait. If she spent too much time in the tavern he would go in after her. If she asked why he was there he would just say because he felt like visiting the tavern. He moved far enough away so that Arabella probably wouldn’t spot him if she came out but so he could still see her. He crossed his arms and leaned against the wall.

He didn’t really understand why he cared so much about what Arabella was up to. All he knew was that he was curious and needed to find out. His life had definitely gotten more complicated since they arrived at the castle. Now instead of just worrying about hunting werewolves he also had to make sure Gavin didn’t seduce Lady Eleanor and find out what a servant girl was doing. Part of him wished for simpler times, the other part was content in staying here. He wasn’t sure what to make of it.

After a while Arabella burst out of the tavern. Rowan stood up once again alert. Arabella had seemed surprised and confused making Rowan wonder what had happened in the tavern.

He watched her head back to the castle and was about to follow when more people exited the tavern. First was the burly man Arabella had followed here, and then was a fit, muscular blond man. Rowan froze as he recognized the third person leaving the tavern, it was Arabella’s mother. Rowan would have believe it if he hadn’t seen her with his own eyes.

His eyes narrowed as he spied on the trio. That was likely who Arabella met. It hadn’t appeared as if she knew her mother was back though. She had followed the one man here and she was extra careful to not be spotted. That meant her mother didn’t tell her everything.

He filed away that information for a later time and crouched down behind a vendor’s stand. The man rolled his eyes and scratched his black beard. Rowan nodded up at him grateful he didn’t give Rowan away. He didn’t know why it was important to stay hidden but he did so anyways.

Finally when he peered out from behind the stand he didn’t see the group of three. He smiled at the vendor and then took off trying to catch up to Arabella. Talking to her before she got to the tavern hadn’t seemed like a good idea but perhaps now he could talk to her.

He scowled as he caught sight of Arabella again. She wasn’t alone. Standing close to her was a guy that looked about her age with blond hair. After a moment Rowan figured out who he was. It was the old childhood friend of Arabella’s.

He watched them for a moment without really knowing why. When their conversation ended and they parted ways Rowan moved at last and began to head back to the castle. He walked slower, no longer filled with the urge to catch up to Arabella. He didn’t care.

Soon after he entered the castle a servant walked up to him. Rowan sighed and turned to the servant. He raised an eyebrow and the servant quickly began to talk, stumbling on the words along the way.

“S-sir,” the servant stammered. He gulped and tried to speak again. “I-I’m t-to inform-.”

“Take a breath to calm yourself,” Rowan interrupted deciding he didn’t want to be standing here for longer than he had to because of a stuttering servant relaying a message. The servant did as he asked and inhaled deeply, his black hair falling into his eyes at the same moment. Rowan smiled encouragingly while at the same moment wondering how old the servant was. With his hair in his eyes it made it look all messy he seemed much younger.

“Sorry,” the boy sighed. “It’s my first day,” he explained apologetically.

“How old are you?” Rowan inquired. A guarded look passed so fleetingly over the boy’s face that Rowan’s wondered if he had imagined it.

“Eight,” the boy said slowly.

Rowan nodded. “Now, what was it that you wanted to tell me?”

“I’m to inform you that someone is looking for you,” the boy said.

“Who?”

“Um,” the boy replied frowning as he tried to remember, “a woman.”

“So you don’t know who she is?” Rowan laughed. The boy shrugged and shook his head.

“What did she want?” The boy shrugged again. Rowan smiled in amusement.

“Do you know what she looks like?”

“She seemed old. Not actually the way she looked but the way she acted,” the boy answered struggling to explain her. Rowan rolled his eyes.

“Do you know where I can find her?” the boy thought for a moment. He won’t know the answer to that either, Rowan guessed.

“She went to the market,” the boy said surprised Rowan.

“How am I supposed to find her?”

“It seemed like she knew you, and you know her. So I would say she’ll be familiar to you,” the boy suggested. Rowan nodded still not sure of who it could be. “Well I must be off,” the boy muttered quickly. He fixed his hair so it looked more to the standard expected of servants and then started walking away. All of a sudden the boy reminded Rowan of someone.

“Wait,” Rowan called. The boy turned around and gave him a confused look. “What’s your name?”

The boy bit his lip. “Graham,” he responded. Before Rowan had the chance to say anything more Graham was gone.

Rowan sighed and left the castle once more. It would be best to deal with this now while he knew where the woman should be. It might be important. The market was busy at this time. Rowan scanned the crowd but none of the faces were familiar. He sighed at the time wasted and was about to go back when someone caught his eye. She sat in the shadows in a secluded spot and only looked at her feet.

“Thelma Mathews?” he asked incredulously. She flinched and looked up. As she realized who it was she smiled tentatively. Her wispy blond hair was out of her bun and it fell just below her shoulders.

“I hope you don’t mind me coming to see you,” she said quietly. Rowan shook his head.

“It’s no problem. What are you doing here?” he asked. Thelma warily glanced around before answering.

“I need your help,” she told Rowan. “I thought about what you said and I think you are right. I don’t think I should have to live with a husband that hits me.” Comprehension dawned on Rowan.

“So that’s why you’re here. You are leaving your husband?” he guessed. She nodded. “Do you have anyone you can stay with?”

“Not at the moment. I sent a letter to my sister. She replied and told me that she will come to me. Until she comes I just have to wait,” she sighed. “I hope that I’ll be able to avoid my husband.”

Rowan nodded. “I can try to find you somewhere to stay if you want?”

“Would you? I’d be ever grateful and in your debt,” she whispered. Rowan shook his head.

“That’s alright,” he replied. “I just want you to be safe and not living with an abusive husband.” She smiled. He held out a hand to help her up. She stared at it for a long moment before taking it. Rowan smiled as well, she was beginning to trust him.

He touched her shoulder lightly as he guided her though the crowd and then headed to the castle. All the way he pondered who he would get to help him. On his own he didn’t have an idea about where Thelma could stay for the night. A servant might. The first person that came to mind was Arabella but he discarded that idea. He would do this without her help.

Thelma stumbled and he caught her hand before she fell ensuring she didn’t hit the ground. As he did so he caught sight of fresh bruises. Perhaps it was a good idea to take her to the physician; it would give him time to think of what he was going to do with her.

“How long will it take for your sister to arrive here?” he asked. Thelma shrugged.

“A few days?” she speculated. He nodded. All he needed to do was keep her safe for a few days. That should be easy, right?

“Alright,” he replied as he led her through the castle. Thelma stared at everything with wide eyes; she must not have been here before. The castle already was familiar to Rowan; he no longer became lost as he went about his day.

“Where are we going?” Thelma asked. Rowan sighed as he heard the suspicion in her voice. Thelma was not easily trusting because of all she’d gone through. It was understandable; Rowan just wished that she would believe he didn’t mean her any harm.

“We’re just going to see someone before I find you a room to stay in for however long it takes for your sister to get here,” Rowan replied.

“Who?” Thelma prompted.

“The physician,” Rowan sighed. Thelma halted and Rowan did so as well.

“Why? Why are you taking me to see him? What’s going to happen?” She gasped. Rowan sighed.

“Nothing, I thought it might be best if he checked your injuries,” Rowan said. Thelma calmed down slightly and started walking again. He got her just outside the physician’s room before Thelma stopped again.

“I can’t,” she gasped overwhelmed once more. Rowan frowned.

“It’s alright,” he insisted. “You’ll be perfectly fine. You’re in good hands. Alistair is the best physician in Amstia, hence why he lives at the castle. Don’t worry. It’ll all be okay,” he promised. She looked down at her feet and Rowan took that to mean she was agreeing. He pushed open the door and kept it open for Thelma to walk in.

“Alistair?” Rowan called stepping inside the room as well. He almost groaned. Alistair wasn’t in the room. He gestured for Thelma to take a seat on the stool near the wall. They would just have to wait. He hoped that Thelma wouldn’t try to get out of seeing the physician again. They didn’t have to wait long as Alistair walked in soon after Thelma sat down.

“Oh,” Alistair exclaimed upon seeing the two. Rowan shrugged at Alistair’s inquisitive glance. Thelma’s eyes widened as she looked to Rowan. He nodded reassuringly.

“This is the physician,” Rowan told her. She nodded but didn’t relax. She still sat rigid and fidgeted every once in a while. It made Rowan feel uncomfortable just looking at her.

“What is this about?” Alistair asked with a curious look. He set down the herbs he held in his hands and then gave Rowan and Thelma his undivided attention.

“Could you see to Thelma?” Rowan replied. “She has a bunch of bruises and injuries and I thought it would be best to get them check out?”

“Bruises and injuries from what?” Alistair said. Thelma and Rowan shifted uncomfortably.

“Her husband hit her,” Rowan answered when it became clear Thelma wasn’t going to. Alistair looked at Thelma sadly. He nodded to Rowan.

“I’ll see to her injuries. You may leave if you want.” Rowan hesitated and Alistair raised an eyebrow. “I’m helping her; she’s trying to get away from her husband. Also, I’m not quite sure she trusts you, she doesn’t trust easily.” Alistair nodded slowly. Thelma sighed and smiled at Rowan.

“You may go, Rowan,” she murmured. Rowan was relieved. With one last glance he was out the door. Now he just needed to find out where Thelma could stay. He was so focused he bumped into someone. Rowan smiled apologetically at the person then realized it was Graham.

“Hey,” he said. “Sorry for bumping into you. I was kind of caught up in my thoughts.”

Graham shrugged nonchalantly. “It’s no problem. I wasn’t watching where I was going either,” he admitted. “So did you find the woman that was searching for you?” Rowan nodded. “That’s good,” he said quietly. “I’m sorry I completely forgot about everything I was supposed to tell you.”

“That’s alright. It is your first day after all,” Rowan laughed.

Graham laughed too for a short while. “If only everyone was as understanding as you are.”

“Having a bad day?” Rowan inquired.

“Nothing I can’t handle,” Graham said confidently. As a child he probably thought he was invincible and could take on anything.

“If you say so,” Rowan replied. “Good luck with the rest of your day. I actually have to go. Need to find a place for someone to stay.” Graham nodded but didn’t offer any help. What kind of help could he even give considering it was his first day here?

Rowan waved at Graham and then left. He still had no clue about who to go to so he could find a room for Thelma. He needed a safe place; none of the public regular places for lodging would work. Her husband might discover where she was.

He rolled his eyes after he still had not come up with the slightest idea of what to do next. Since he’d left Thelma with Alistair for a while he decided to return. When he entered the physician’s tower he saw that Thelma was finished. Her wrist was bandaged and Alistair was nowhere to be seen. There was however one other person in the room. Rowan halted in his tracks upon seeing Arabella. She didn’t react. She stood near Thelma; they must have been talking before he had burst into the room.

Rowan ignored Arabella and smiled at Thelma. “Ready to go?” he asked. She nodded and stood up.

“Where are we going now?” she asked softly. The day’s events had taken their toll on her, she looked tired. Rowan sighed.

“To find you somewhere to stay,” he said.

Her eyes widened. “I can’t stay somewhere where other visitors stay. It has to be somewhere my husband won’t think of looking for me,” she stated quite worried. Rowan nodded.

“I know, I already thought of that,” he said. He felt Arabella’s eyes on them but didn’t look in her direction.

“So you already have a place in mind for me to stay?” Thelma asked hardly daring to hope.

Rowan laughed curtly. “Not exactly,” he confessed feeling ashamed. Thelma’s face fell. Of course it had to be in front of Arabella that he ended up looking like an idiot. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Arabella fighting to keep a smile off her face and unable to stop himself he turned towards her. “What? You think this is funny?”

Her barely there smile slipped of her face. She shook her head and looked down. Rowan nodded to himself and then went to leave, Thelma followed. He had just exited the room when Arabella called after them causing them to pause.

“Wait,” she said. She hurried out of the room. “I might be able to help,” she offered. Rowan rolled his eyes but shrugged when both sets of eyes turned to him to hear his answer.

“Fine,” he said curtly. The sooner they got this over with, the sooner he could get away from Arabella. He wasn’t in the mood to deal with her.

“I have a friend that is gone for a week or two and her room in the servant’s quarters isn’t being used,” Arabella said. “I’m sure she wouldn’t mind Thelma staying there until she can leave.” Thelma smiled and Rowan nodded seeing that Thelma was pleased at the turn of events. “Great, let’s go there now.”

The servant’s quarters was bare, no decorations, less torches to light the way than in other part of the castle and the air smell musty. Rowan had no clue that servants had to tolerate this kind of conditions.

Arabella went to a room and opened the door. Inside was a small bed, a box at the end of the bed to hold closes and a desk and stool. The room was so small it couldn’t have any more bits of furniture than what was already in it. Thelma smiled looking around; she didn’t seem to mind the room.

“So this is where you can stay. My room’s just across if you need anything,” she said pointing across the hallway to another room directly across from Thelma’s temporary room. Rowan wondered what Arabella’s room looked like. “If I’m not there ask a servant to find me for you so you aren’t wandering around the castle lost and trying to find me.”

“Thank you,” Thelma said addressing both of them. Rowan was about to protest, he had really done nothing. Arabella was the one that had found the room. “No,” Thelma persisted. “Both of you helped me. Arabella did find the room but without you, Rowan, I never would have left my husband.” Rowan nodded.

“It was no trouble,” he said. “Are you going to stay here?”

Thelma considered it. “Yes I think I will. I just really want to rest.” Rowan and Arabella said goodbye and then left the room. Once they were far enough away so Thelma wouldn’t hear Rowan began to speak.

“Thank you for helping her,” he said. Arabella shrugged.

“I don’t mind. After all she’s been through she deserves some help,” she replied.

“How much do you know?” Rowan asked. Arabella looked at him.

“A lot,” she answered. “Your visit to her house really helped her see things in a new light.” Rowan rolled his eyes. “I mean it. Before she never thought to leave, she just accepted that her husband would take out his anger on her.”

“Yeah I get it,” Rowan sighed. Arabella nodded and an awkward silence followed. Finally Rowan broke it by saying, “Well, bye.” Not the best parting but it was effective. He took off to his room. When he neared his room he spotted Arabella behind him and chuckled. “Following me?” he teased feeling amused. He still felt a bit annoyed with Arabella but he decided to try and move past it. She blushed.

“No, I mean yes, it looks that way but I’m just going to your room,” she replied.

“What a coincidence, so am I,” Rowan said sarcastically. Arabella rolled her eyes.

“I’m checking on the fire in your room,” she said. He nodded and held the door open for her. She walked into the room and started tending to the fire. He flipped through some pieces of paper and parchment on the desk as she nursed the fire into a bigger flame. Once that was done she nodded to Rowan and made her way to the door then stopped. She turned around; it was obvious she wanted to say something.

“Yes?” Rowan asked. He did not have a good feeling about this.

“I know you are injured.”

“This again?” he sighed. She nodded.

“If you’re hurt you should get medical attention,” she persisted.

“Trust me when I say it will make no difference,” he replied. Her eyes narrowed and she walked slowly towards him. He watched her close the distance between them and did nothing.

“How do you know?” she asked.

He shrugged. “I just do,” he retorted.

She stood before him and put her hands on her hips for a moment before reaching for his head. He shook his head as he moved it out of reach. He escaped her reaching hand and darted away.

“Rowan,” she said seriously. “Just let me see.”

“I don’t want you to see,” he countered aiming to sound like he wasn’t really worried about his health.

“Well that’s too bad. It’s probably not that bad. All I really know is that its causing you pain,” she said somewhat sadly. “If I can help why not just let me see your wound?” Rowan shook his head and Arabella’s eyes narrowed.

“What will it take for you to leave?” he inquired. “I’m actually quite tired and I just want some peace and quiet. Something that doesn’t happen often when you’re around I might add.” Arabella glared at him but he ignored it.

“Just show me your injury and I’ll leave, I promise,” Arabella responded. This time he was the one that glared.

“Please leave,” Rowan told her. “You’re supposed to listen to what I say.”

“That’s true,” Arabella murmured. I am supposed to listen to what you say because I’m the servant assigned to you. But I don’t think that applies when it has something to do with the welfare of the person I’m assigned to take care of.”

“That doesn’t matter,” Rowan said. He took a seat on his bead suddenly feeling lightheaded; something he sensed had something to do with the wolf bite.

“I can just go and tell your parents. I’m sure that they will just demand to see this injury,” she threatened. Rowan paled and Arabella frowned.

“You can’t tell them,” he whispered. Arabella nodded.

“Okay… I won’t. Just show me the injury on your arm.” When Rowan didn’t say anything she advanced toward him. She sat on the bed beside him and the next thing he knew her fingers closed around his wrist. He felt his need to keep his injury a secret vanish and was certain he would feel relieve when someone else knew about his werewolf bite.. He didn’t fight her as she moved to push his sleeve up.

He watched her carefully wanting to see her reaction when she realized the type of wound he had. She slowly unwrapped the bandage from his arm. When the bandage at last fell away Arabella gasped. The wound was still red and slightly swollen. It didn’t look as if any healing had taken place.

“A werewolf bite?” Arabella asked incredulously. She looked as if she didn’t believe it. Her eyes met Rowan and he could see the sadness and pity in them. He couldn’t stand it; he pulled his arm away and got up. He didn’t need her pity. “Rowan.” He looked at her. “Just sit down,” she ordered. “Let me look at that for you.” Rowan complied and sat back down on the bed. Her cold fingers lightly touched the wound and Rowan grimaced. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine,” he said.”

“When did this happen?” she inquired. He shrugged.

“When we went on the hunt after we arrived here,” he answered. “Gavin was acting weird and he walked away farther into the forest than we were allowed and Rose and I were forced to follow. I stopped for a moment and when I looked up they were gone. Then I encountered a werewolf and it bit me, as you can clearly see,” he said. He chose to leave out the part where the wolf changed colours; she would think he was crazy.

“Why didn’t you tell anyone?”

“I don’t want them to worry. If I die they can be sad then. If I don’t die than they will have worried for nothing,” he said.

“They’re your family. I’m sure they would want to know,” Arabella protested.

Rowan shook his head. “No, you can’t tell them. You can’t tell anyone.” Arabella sighed but nodded in the end. Rowan was satisfied with the outcome.

“I won’t tell anyone,” Arabella assured. “You’re wound looks good for now. You did a good job of making sure it doesn’t get infected. Tomorrow I’ll return with some stuff to help speed along the healing process,” she said.

“Is it bad?” he asked wanting to know if there was a chance he would live.

Arabella hesitated. “It doesn’t look like the other werewolf bites I’ve seen. I think that’s a good thing since all the other people died. You may survive the bite but there is still a chance things may go wrong,” she said truthfully.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 191 25
Estrella has finally accepted her rights to the throne. She's learning her duties as a Vampire Princess and what she will have to do when and if she...
1.2M 10.5K 9
Everyone thought that the moon goddess had it all. Every wolf looked up to her, and everyone loved her. What happens when that's not true and she has...
1.6K 114 30
Three months have passed since the end of Hunt. Ellie has managed to infiltrate TESS but every moment she spends there she puts her life in danger. A...
216K 10K 38
"I know I'm a monster, but even I have my limits!" I shout at him. He shouldn't have done that. "Wait, please, I- , let me explain. I'm sorry-" "I sh...