Chapter 31 ~ Luck

Chapter 31

Rowan groggily opened his eyes and looked around unsure of where he was or how he had gotten there. Then everything rushed back to him and he remembered the men that had captured him.

The room had no windows; the only light came from a lantern set on the ground. He couldn’t make sense of that. Why would they possible care about if the room was lit up or not? Rowan was their prisoner, they shouldn’t have any qualms about making the room he was stuck in more pleasing to be in. he glanced at the only entrance, there was no door on it or anything, meaning he wasn’t locked in. if he could get to the door then he had a good chance of getting free. He moved to get up but when he couldn’t he realized his wrists were chained to the wall.

He pulled at them wincing as the metal scraped at his bloody skin. In trying to get free he removed the crusted blood exposing raw skin underneath. He groaned as he discovered he had a pounding headache, as well a metallic taste in his mouth. He swallowed desperately wishing for some water.

He sat up and leaned against the wall, not liking that most of his body had been just lying on the dirt floor until now. He inspected the chains and came to the conclusion that they weren’t the average kind. It was a reinforced type, the type that could withstand a lot of duress without breaking.

He looked up when someone entered the room, scowling as he met their cold blue eyes. The man walked over and crouched down smirking at Rowan’s predicament. His auburn hair was cut very short and he had a long scar on his right cheek which extended up to his eyebrow, his eye didn’t look damaged though, unfortunately.

“What do you intend to do to me?” Rowan demanded to know.

The man shrugged. “That’s for me to know, and you to find out. I tell you this much, it won’t be good for you. You won’t like what will happen in the near future let me tell you,” he said. “You won’t enjoy this but I, I will enjoy this very much.”

Rowan held his gaze unwilling to look away and submit. He wouldn’t appear weak in front of this man. Already he knew that he would get beat up, tortured, it wasn’t likely that he would live through this, that wasn’t the man’s goal. Unless a miracle happened he would die here, and Arabella would die shortly after. She would die disappointed that he hadn’t stopped it.

“Why did you capture me?” Rowan asked wanting to know at least that. “I know this isn’t random, you guys were specifically after me.” The man didn’t say anything and Rowan felt annoyed. “There must be a reason behind this, don’t you want to give me a message or something from the person that wanted me caught?” The man hesitated and Rowan knew he had stumbled across something.

“Yes, there is a reason that you’re here,” the man replied, “but I’m not going to tell you that just quite yet. You should suffer before you know the reason why. When you’re tortured to the edge of your life I’ll tell you and then kill you. You have a little while until then so just relax.”

“I don’t think that’s possible,” Rowan retorted to anger the man into slipping up, it didn’t work but Rowan was determined to infuriate him even if it might just bring about more pain for him.

“Let’s just say we don’t like your kind. Your kind being hunters,” the man began. “We want to be free but it’s hard to do that with you hunting us and oppressing our very natures.”

“Most werewolves are dangerous and need to be killed to keep people safe,” Rowan countered and saw a flash of anger in the man’s eyes. “Hunters keep many people safe. If you would control yourselves and kept out of trouble then we would have no problem with you.”

“That’s a lie. You humans hate what you can’t explain. Even if we didn’t do anything to bring about attention to ourselves we would still be hunted.” Rowan said nothing because he knew that was partially true, most of his family would do that. It would always be this way, unless something happened to change that. “A long awaited time is soon to come and the world order will be altered forever,” the man hinted with pride.