Loosen Your Grip For I am not...

By FluffyPieCaKe

"You're jumping so high and expect me to do the same ... But I'm not ready" More

00
01
02
03
04
05
06
08
09
10
11
12

07

1.6K 115 78
By FluffyPieCaKe

Harry doesn't go far when he sees an ambulance driving fast in the opposite direction. At first he doesn't put it in mind, but glances at the rearview mirror to find it going towards Zayn's house. He doesn't panic, but he's worried, and just hopes everything is alright. He takes a U turn and follows the ambulance until he reaches Zayn's house again.

He might be a second too late when he steps out of the car, but he sees Zayn getting in the back before the doors are closed. Zayn is okay. But it doesn't make the situation better. Because if he's not the one, then it's Louis, and Zayn cares too much for him which would put him in a 'worried-shit' situation.

Harry gets in his car again following the ambulance until it reaches the nearest hospital, and because he's not allowed in the emergency entry, he parks his car a bit further before stepping inside and trying to spot Zayn. He asks around, and eventually finds him pacing outside the ER. He approaches him slowly, placing one of his hands on Zayn's arm to stop him. Zayn looks up, or rather snaps up his head towards him, big eyes alarmed and tensed body.

"What happened?"

Zayn exhales and his posture relaxes a bit. "Louis wasn't breathing when I checked on him, he wasn't ... His heart beat was close to non-existent and I don't know why but ... I just ..." Zayn huffs, his hand is reaching up, placed under his hair on his forehead and tries to take in a breath again.

"He'll be fine"

"He should" Zayn replies, crosses his arms over his chest and Harry notices that he's shivering. Zayn is wearing a long-sleeved shirt but the material is light, a pair of joggers and converse that probably belong to Louis that he's surprised Zayn even put them on.

He takes off his coat bringing it around Zayn's shoulders and Zayn wasn't looking in his direction, too focused or lost in the ER direction making his eyes snap up again towards Harry. He doesn't even notice his own shivering body until the coat is around his arms and Harry's closing it on his body that he feels a familiar warmth. He looks down on himself remembering how one of the medics told him to wear something in his feet before going out. He picked Louis' phone which was the nearest and dialed them up, luckily they were close so they responded fast.

"Thank you" Zayn mumbles, glad that Harry's coat is bigger in size to cover most of his body and hide his hands. Harry even pulls the hood over him and just smiles softly at him as a response.

"Want to get something hot to drink and sit down?" Harry offers, "When they're done they'll come to you. You pacing outside the door won't help anyone. It actually annoys that little girl" Harry whispers the last part making Zayn dart his eyes in the same direction Harry's do and sighs, nodding at last and walks with Harry to the cafeteria attached close to them.

Zayn suddenly remembers that he actually has no money on him. He didn't even grab his phone, and Louis' phone that he used is probably laid on Louis' bed. Harry notices. "I got this. No prob" Zayn doesn't reply to him then but does thank him when he hands him his cup.

Zayn's eyes are glancing every five seconds towards the ER, hands –or only the tips of his fingers, the rest are covered by the coats' sleeves– on his nearly untouched drink, and Harry wonders if he should remind him every couple of minutes that he's still here. Because Zayn is distracted, and Harry wishes he can pull him out of this trance, or distract him away from the situation if he could.

They probably stayed there for an hour, maybe less, Harry isn't counting and Zayn is too stressed to notice anything but the ER door being opened. Despite what Harry thought, Zayn isn't showing much of his nervousness, just waits there until the door is actually opened and he is standing and walking towards the doctor coming out of it in a second.

"Are you his family?"

"Friend" Zayn replies quickly. "He doesn't have a family"

The doctor nods slowly and soon, Harry is by his side as well. "I'll just need you to sign some papers" Zayn nods immediately ready to ask him how Louis is before the doctor is speaking again, "Any of you two live with him?"

"I do"

"Did he show any signs he's not feeling well in the last couple of hours?" Zayn blinks. How would he know? Fuck. He should've known that. He should've checked on Louis first, he should've stayed by his side instead of getting drunk. Fuck.

"I don't- I don't know" he mumbles and the doctor nods slowly again.

"Is he on drugs?" Is he? The hell?! Zayn is supposed to know all of these stuff, but he's as confused as ever.

"I don't ... know" he repeats. Harry turns to look at him with a frown but doesn't say anything. The doctor seems to notice too and stops.

"We believe your friend got poisoned by a drug. A strong one. Usually it'd take from five to ten days to begin its functions" Zayn's eyes widen. "It's not deadly. But it's damaging. Reaching the brain cells" Harry thinks that Zayn stopped breathing. "We're working on it, and hopefully the damage isn't that bad, but I can't tell you the results until tomorrow. He'll have to stay here over night, and no, you can't stay with him. I'm sorry"

Because Zayn knows the most details about Louis, he's the one filling the papers with the necessary info needed. Harry would've done it for him seeing how horrible his state has become, but he just stands there waiting for him to finish. Why would Louis do drugs?

But the same question runs through Zayn's mind as well. Louis wouldn't. He won't do drugs just because of Doug or work or whatever other reason that is unimportant. Louis preferred to run away when his life became too much to handle, Louis would find a solution instead of killing himself. Louis ... Louis didn't do it.

"All done? Ready to go home?" Harry asks quietly from his side and Zayn turns to face him. What if ... What if Louis found out about Harry? What if he knew about Doug? Was he that desperate he chose to damage himself more instead of Zayn? Fuck. The mere thought of it makes Zayn's skin burn.

"Do you think Louis hates me?" Harry furrows his brows at Zayn's sudden question. If there's anyone Louis loves genuinely it's Zayn. "That he wanted to leave?" Zayn's eyes are bigger, glossy, and the panic Harry sees in them isn't something he likes to see very often. "That he got so tired of me he drugged himself-"

"No" Harry cuts him sharply, hands reaching up to hold Zayn's shoulders to stop him from shaking. "Louis wouldn't leave you behind. And he would be okay because he'll fight for you. He'll fight to stay alive for you" he offers a smile, "He'd live for you ... because you're family, and I haven't seen anyone with the amount of care you two share with each other" Zayn's gaze shift downwards but he seems less troubled. "Come on, I'll drive you home" he doesn't wait for Zayn's protests and they don't even come.

=====

Zayn stays silent during the ride home, and when Harry follows him inside the house, Zayn doesn't say anything about it.

Louis wouldn't poison himself. Zayn would have to ask about who Louis interacts with more often, maybe there's a missing detail but ... Who would want to hurt Louis in the first place? Five to ten days, he'd have to ask Louis about what he ate in that period, if he drank something or took some sort of a pill. He doesn't realize he'd been sitting on Louis' bed for too long until he's lying on it and dozes off. He might have also forgotten about Harry being inside the house.

Harry didn't ask Zayn if he wants him to stay or not, and Zayn would probably tell him not to, and he would definitely mind Harry half lying on bed next to him, but Harry is worried. He knows that Zayn is thinking too much about the 'what ifs' concerning Louis. He knows that Zayn is seeking comfort but him sleeping in Louis' bed might not be for the best.

It's proven right when Zayn starts to flutter his eyes, breath hitching and body jolting him awake. Nothing too serious until he gasps and sits up abruptly, wide eyes filled with fear once again. Five times in less than half an hour, Harry counted, and they're only nightmares, but Zayn can't properly sleep and it's a tiring process for his body to get used to. The sixth time, Harry pulls him in his arms, Zayn doesn't push him away, doesn't say anything about his presence, and actually calms down.

After a full hour, Zayn dozes off to sleep again, and Harry carries him carefully out of Louis' room and to his own. It's late, and Harry sends a quick text before turning his phone off and lying next to Zayn.

=====

Harry isn't sure when they changed their positions in their sleep, but he finds Zayn cuddled up to his side, one arm rested just near the top of Zayn's head and he curls the other around Zayn's waist brining him closer. Zayn didn't wake up from nightmares again, and he glances at the clock to find it 1 pm. He isn't sure how they managed to sleep for such a long time, but Harry isn't bothered by it at all. He lets Zayn sleep for another few minutes before he's waking up by himself. Zayn's eyelashes tickle his neck when he presses closer for a second before pulling back and lazily opening his eyes.

There's the spark in his eyes that Harry catches on first, the softness of his face, the beautiful mess of those silky locks and the contrast they make against the sheets in the daylight. Harry knows he shouldn't be staring, he should drop his arm from around Zayn, he shouldn't be even staying at Zayn's house, and definitely not on his bed. He's aware of his flight later this evening and he's sure he has more voice notes and texts as the time goes by reminding him that there are other people in his life and that he should be packing right now. He also knows that Zayn's eyes are still as captivating as ever, blinking slowly up at him before furrowing his brows and tilting his head upwards.

Harry doesn't know when exactly did he get lost, but Zayn gets up quickly, stumbles a bit and fumbles with something Harry can't quite see so he sits up slowly. He hears it then, Zayn's phone ringing and he watches as Zayn slides the answer button quickly while biting his bottom lip.

"Yes ... Right, okay. Thanks" he hangs up and looks back at Harry. "It's the hospital. I'm allowed to see Louis now"

Harry nods, "I'll drive you there"

They don't talk about anything else, Zayn quickly picks a change of clothes and puts them on as Harry washes his face and gets down to his car. Zayn might have offered Harry breakfast or at least a shower before they go. He should've probably declined Harry's offer to drive him to the hospital, but there's only one thought on his mind right now. Louis.

=====

Zayn is relieved once the doctor smiles at him and leads him to Louis' room. Harry stays outside, not wanting to interfere.

"He's not awake yet, we'll have to keep an eye on him for the next couple of days, but he can go home and rest there afterwards"

"And the damage?" Zayn asks carefully.

"Most of it was cured" The doctor turns to look at Louis, "It was in its early stages, he's a lucky man" he turns back to Zayn, "He just needs to rest for a while. His body has taken quite a shock" he smiles again and leaves. Zayn approaches the bed slowly, tracing his fingers lightly on Louis' cheek before holding Louis' hand with both of his hands, kissing it softly and keeping it in his grip for a little longer. There's a steady sound of his heart, he's breathing, and soon he'll be back on his feet.

Louis is okay. He's okay. There's nothing more he'd ask for.

A few moments later, a nurse comes in to check on Louis and Zayn stays back a little. He glances out of the door and sees Harry, talking on the phone with someone but doesn't seem to be too happy about it, like someone is scolding him of some sort. And it hits him. Harry is leaving today, he totally neglected him in the worst way. He's a total asshole.

He looks back at Louis, still asleep, and according to the doctors, he won't be awake any moment now, so he leaves him with the nurse and heads outside. Harry's finished his phone call and turns to him.

"I'm sorry for always dragging you with me" he gives Harry an apologetic look, the best he can do with his eyes, the one Louis would praise him for and hate at the same time when he uses it on him because it has a soft place in Louis' heart. Harry smiles at him, big and dimpled.

"I don't mind" Zayn gives him a smile back, small and soft, "How are you?"

Zayn opens his mouth on a question but closes it afterwards, trailing his gaze to the ground for a moment before lifting it up again. "I'm alright" His smile is still present, and even though he hates making Harry worry, it sparks something inside his chest that he can't deny. Harry's phone rings again and he sighs looking down on it before turning it silent. "You'll make them worry" Harry looks back at him, "And ... You should probably go"

"You're getting rid of me?" Harry raises his brows, a playful smile still on his lips making Zayn roll his eyes.

"I'm just ..." Letting you go. "Harry, I'm grateful for everything you've ever done for me, truly. I just want you to know that, and ... it's not you" Harry gives him a confused look, "I don't want you to think it didn't work because of you because it's not. And you know that deep down" Harry's smile falls as he stares back at him and he doesn't have time to process, but Zayn hugs him, arms going around his neck, not holding tightly but just ... it's something soft and genuine that makes Harry move his own hands carefully, holding with the same tenderness and he's confused. It's a good feeling that he doesn't get to even properly get a hold of because Zayn is pulling back.

"They care for you. Don't lose them" Zayn steps back, "You have a flight to catch. I can't hold on to you forever" he offers another smile. "Go ... Be happy" Harry blinks at him. That never fading spark is still inside Zayn's eyes. Another proper short goodbye from Zayn's part that makes up for his silent departure before. And even though Zayn is telling him the truth, it's not what he wanted to hear.

"Are you sure you'll be fine by your own?"

"I'm a grown man, yes" Zayn's smile grow.

"Just ... Call me if you need anything" Zayn's eyes glance between his for a second before they're shifting down.

"Don't" he shakes his head, "But thanks" his eyes trail slowly back up.

Harry stares at him for a while, despite Zayn's smile, he's wearing a serious face. He leans in, pressing a light kiss on Zayn's cheek and the latter doesn't pull back, doesn't stiffen. "Take care of yourself"

"You too" Zayn whispers before Harry is pulling away, a look in his eyes that Zayn can't interpret, "Have a safe flight"

Harry walks away, and he sighs heavily before entering Louis' room again. He didn't check his phone for other than the hospital calls and he finds others from Jeff asking where the hell he is, others from his manager giving him a warning that if he didn't show up he'll be fired and those days will be cut off from his pay. He sighs again locking his phone and hears his stomach growling of hunger. He forgot when was the last time he ate properly. The doctors are still not allowing him to stay over the night and he guesses he'd go for grocery shopping tonight. As for now, any nearby restaurant that serves fast-food will do.

The nurses assured him they're taking turns to check on Louis all the time even when he's here and they'd call him if he woke up, although Zayn wants to be there when he does for the first time. He's not that far from the hospital when he spots a fast-food restaurant and decides to cross the street. Before he does though, there's a weird smell, his vision is blurry, and he doesn't see anything else.

=====

There's a cold ground underneath him, his bones hurt, but other than that he's fine. He blinks his eyes open and takes his surroundings. There's some sort of ... wires? He sits up slowly and ... Oh.

"You didn't think I'll leave you two get away that easily, did you?" A voice whispers behind his ear and he shivers. It's too familiar. "How do you like it? Looks familiar? Hm? Feels like home?" he stands up and Zayn does slowly. He knows just what type of situation this is but he doesn't let him have the joy of seeing his emotions displayed wide open, no. It'll later anyway. "Cat ate your tongue, kitten?" a hand strokes his beard, but Zayn's eyes are sharp. He still doesn't take a step back because ... there's no way to go really.

It's a cage, around a ring, and the familiarity it brings is too uncomfortable. He has too many question swimming at the tip of his tongue but he keeps his mouth shut.

"You know, I don't like to be ignored" There's a slap, a hard one that sends him to the ground and Zayn knows better than to fight back. Been there before. There's no blood yet and he might be thankful for that if he didn't already know what's coming next. "You also know what I don't like?" Zayn takes a deep breath and closes his eyes, pushing himself off the floor. "When two rats steal all my money" Zayn hears footsteps and he slowly opens his eyes and sits back.

"And do you know what happens to rats?" he whispers again in Zayn's ear. "They get punished"

Zayn counts, among the familiar faces that appeared around the cage. Seven, including Ant inside the cage with him. It's a survival match that he knows he'd already lost. But that's not what's on Zayn's mind right now. All that he thinks about is that when Louis opens his eyes ... He won't be there.

Ant opens the cage and Zayn blinks. Louis is not here to sneak him out. Harry is not here to defend him. It's over.

=====

Zayn blinks tiredly at the ceiling, the too familiar cage still surrounding him. He's alone though, and doesn't know if it's over or Ant simply giving him a break. It's probably his second day here, and all that runs in his head is whether Louis is awake yet or not. He really wants to get up and try to leave, maybe Ant is done with him, but the pain is too much, every bone in his body hurt.

He blinks again and turns his head to the side, it still hurts, moving his neck, but the door is opened. So Ant is done? He doesn't know. But after almost an hour of keeping his eyes open, and maybe because the pain is restraining him from sleeping again, or blacking out for a better term, and he wonders if Louis felt similar pain due to the drug. He really hopes not. And a part of him is thankful he gets to feel this instead of Louis.

A sigh escapes slowly from his lips and he uses all the strength he got to push himself in a sitting position. He immediately winces and bites down on his lip to stop him from crying or screaming in pain because it's too much. But if Ant is willingly letting him go, then he should go. And even if he isn't, Louis needs him, and he can't stay here knowing that Louis might be in danger as well.

Through his blurry eyes, he can see his phone smashed on the floor next to him. Of course, Ant won't leave any traces behind, he knows that much, and wonders if the hospital tried to contact him, if Louis is awake and worrying, or if his state is better or worse. God, he hates this.

His clothes are ripped by his side and he can see fresh blood on his body, many parts, next to the bruises that he knows won't fade in the next couple of months. It's cold, but his body is numb, and perhaps the pain is covering that, making his body burn instead. He hates how Ant doesn't kill, never did and will never do, but will stick to sick torture because it 'remains' causing a chill to run through his spine at the thought of it. Did the drug he used on Louis would have permanent damage? He feels like he is about to throw up, but there's no food in his system and hasn't been for a couple of days and when he coughs through his dried throat, he sees red on the floor.

He doesn't know how many hours have passed while he tries to pull on what's remaining of his clothes to cover his body and try to get out this place which he has no idea where it is. He isn't surprised when he doesn't find his wallet either.

But the door is opened and if Ant is letting him go just because he has a twisted plan in the future, he doesn't mind. Louis is a priority.

=====

It was a shit warehouse, but when Zayn found a main street, someone gave him the directions to his place. With weird looks coming his way, Zayn manages to reach his house. It's not trashed yet and he quickly takes a shower, trying to get rid of the dried blood on his body and ease the muscles a bit, removing the dirt covering him, and finally taking care of his opened wounds, patching them up and banding the rest. Louis didn't buy a make-up kit here and he finds himself having to deal with his face as it is. He slides his hair down to cover most of it though, pulling the hoodie over his head, wearing sunglasses, and keeps his gaze down until he reaches the hospital.

He borrows Louis' phone and enough money to go visit him –or all the money they have at the moment just in case– careful not to appear too shitty-looking. He gulps a huge amount of water and gets a snack because he doesn't want to faint inside a hospital.

The nurse guides him to Louis' room, telling him that they tried to reach him when Louis woke up but couldn't and Zayn simply apologizes and lies about his phone sinking down a toilet. She doesn't seem to be convinced and gives him a concerned look when he winces as someone accidently bumps at him and asks him about it but Zayn shrugs the subject off.

Louis is still on the bed, but he's asleep, and the nurse assures him that he's fine but just having his time relaxing since he doesn't do anything else really. Zayn approaches him slowly when the nurse leaves and half lays his body on the bed carefully next to Louis, biting his bottom lip to stop him from hissing in pain again. He sighs deeply when he is settled and looks at Louis, his long sleeves hiding his hands, and the tips brush over Louis' cheek softly. He wasn't here for Louis, and he almost cries.

"Where were you?" Louis' voice startles him and his eyes widen as Louis' head turn to the side to face him and takes in his appearance, a frown starts forming on his face, "Who did this to you?"

"The same person who put you in here" Zayn's voice is raspy, too raspy, and he coughs in his fist, checking quickly if there's blood before allowing his hand to fall and looks up at Louis. "I'm sorry I wasn't by your side when you woke up" he smiles and Louis chuckles shortly even if it's dry and his eyes are sad and cold at the same time.

"They had to put me down when I knew you didn't come. Can't remember the rest of the day, guess whatever shit they injected me with must've been really tough" he sighs.

"But you're feeling alright?"

"My head is hurting whenever I think too much but ... I guess that's a side effect" That doesn't settle well in Zayn's stomach and he's really about to cry. Permanent damage. He will make sure Louis doesn't think too much then, he'll do anything for him to relax, he'll get Louis the world if he could. Louis turns to his side and his arm lifts slowly, tracing Zayn's skin under his hair on his face and neck. "You should get a bed next to me here"

"Can't"

"Who is it?" Louis' hand soothes over Zayn's arm, his voice is quiet as he asks.

"Ant" Zayn watches as Louis' eyes grow hard and he can feel Louis' blood boil.

"He ... What am I not seeing?"

Zayn exhales, and if Louis wasn't still attached to some machines, he'd curl into his chest and cry for ages. "The bruises on my skin will eventually fade. There's no broken bones" But Louis knows it too. Permanent damage. "I think there are some ... internal issues ... And ... Let's just say that I'm not going to be sexually active for the rest of my life"

Louis stays quiet for a moment and Zayn doesn't look up.

"We should report"

"And then what?" Zayn looks up, "We're deeply involved in his shit. We'll be thrown in jail for not less than 10 years and I would prefer we stay away from that"

"Okay fine, we won't. But you have to get yourself checked up. I don't ... I can't lose you" Louis' eyes are pleading and Zayn smiles despite the situation they're in. They're together, and that's all what really matters.

"I knew how to deal with that shit long time ago, but I'll lie concerning some stuff and get a decent cure, I'm just ... I'm not sure if we'll have enough time after that" Louis furrows his brows, "Ant found us here, and perhaps we got rat out on, but that means he's capable of reaching us. Maybe not here, but we can't stay here forever, and I believe he knows where we live by now"

Louis presses his lips together, "Let's say you and I will be done in the next couple of days. They won't keep us any longer. We can crash at any of our friends-" he cuts himself off and looks back at Zayn, "Maybe afford a hotel room. Safer" Zayn nods, "But we don't have enough money to go anywhere, Zayn. If Ant got to know we're here because it's managed, then he won't in the next stop, but ... where would we go? We have basically nothing, and we barely have any information on any place else in the world"

Zayn thinks for a moment, "There is one place" he says quietly.

"No" Louis closes his eyes.

"We don't have a choice, Louis" Louis opens his eyes again, "At least we know how to work ourselves out even in the streets"

Louis sighs, "Okay, fine. But we won't do anything until I make sure you're okay" he points at Zayn's body who smiles at him and nods.

=====

"How're you feeling?" Zayn asks quietly as he wraps his arms around Louis' waist from behind, sitting slowly on the bed next to him and laying his head on Louis' shoulder.

"Better actually. Guess the cure worked after all. A big 'Fuck you' to Ant's face" Louis smirks and turns his head to look at Zayn who smiles brightly and squeezes Louis' middle, too happy that the damage was fixable before it's too late. But Louis's more concerned about Zayn, he took the other hit, and even if it's physically also fixable, Louis knows too well just how much mental effect will get to Zayn. "How are you?" he asks softly, bringing one of his hands to stroke Zayn's cheek.

"Good" Zayn nods, not meeting Louis' eyes, "So, what do we got?"

Louis sighs and turns his head forward, his hand also falls so he can check his phone. Zayn doesn't let go though and focuses on Louis' phone as well. Going back home is too risky, and staying at one of their 'friends' is also risky, they don't trust anyone so they chose a hotel to stay at. Thankfully, Zayn had their money so they can afford a few days staying until they come up with a solution.

"We can get tickets, but that's it" Zayn nods again. Louis pauses for a second before turning his head towards Zayn again, "Are you sure about this?"

"You got any other options?" Zayn looks at him and raises his brows. No. They don't. But Louis promised him they will never go back. And it hurts him even more to know it'll increase Zayn's pain. Zayn knows it too, it's not a favorable place for Louis either, and the last place he'd want to get Louis to but ... Between there and Ant, they're fucked up if they stayed, and they can't afford to go to jail, it'll be even worse. They both know it, and they both know that they're trying so hard to fight the idea for the sake of the other, but they also know that they don't have enough money to afford any place else that they're not familiar with, and they can't make arrangements that will require time they don't have, and also, they can't even return home, sell their house, or at least pack their stuff. Ant would be waiting for them, and they're glad he couldn't get to them in the hospital and he can't reach the hotel either. He'll have to deal with the security, and he is probably waiting for them outside knowing too well they can't stay here forever. Which is another thing to take into consideration, their way out must be camouflaged.

Other than the clothes they have on along with that, they have nothing. A 'lighter weight to carry' as Louis once told Zayn.

Zayn takes a deep breath and nods again, "We'll be together. It'll be alright"

Louis stares at him for a moment before nodding as well. They're together. It'll be alright. He repeats Zayn's words in his head until it's late and they're cuddled under the covers.

Zayn wakes up seven times during the night, and if his sleep is startled by nightmares, Louis' is startled by his guilt. Despite his tight grip on Zayn and being impossibly close, he doesn't calm down. And what depresses him even more is that he can't think of a way to get back at Ant without hurting Zayn in the process.

"I'm so sorry, Zee" Louis cries into the back of Zayn's neck making the latter shut his eyes tightly trying to calm his breaths, "I got us into this shit. I shouldn't have done it in the first place. I'm so sorry" he keeps repeating until Zayn turns to him, hands reaching up to cup Louis' face and wipe his tears away.

"I never blamed you, Lou, never will" Louis looks up at him, "It's not your fault" he smiles at him, but Louis still feels the guilt creeping on his skin, cutting his chest open and stabbing his heart.

They don't talk more, Zayn brings Louis to his chest, and he truly meant what he said.

Zayn doesn't dream about a cage. Ant and his crew are there, but it's not the cage. And next to them stand some familiar faces. It's not Louis' fault. Never had been.

=====

"Come on, Zee. Get up" Louis' voice is quiet but a bit far and Zayn opens his eyes slowly to see him pulling off his clothes, "It's by far our best chance to get out!" he whisper shouts and throws some clothes on the bed.

Zayn furrows his brows and sits up, it's 2 am and the lights aren't on so he can't see that much. "Where did you get those?"

"When you were asleep" Zayn looks up to him. "There was this very nice lady" Zayn doesn't see it but he can swear Louis is smirking, "And guess what?" Zayn rubs his eyes, taking off his clothes as well, "We even got a ride"

"You're still forgetting about Ant" He watches as Louis shoves their remaining stuff into a backpack that Zayn doesn't know how he got it too or when did he manage to do all of this in less than three hours. Leave it to Louis to think of a way out.

"Not a problem for the next ten minutes if you hurry the fuck up"

Zayn stumbles out of bed and quickly pulls the coat Louis brought him on, his shoes, and opens the door to find Louis zipping the bag and throwing it over his shoulders. The hallway is lit and he notices their clothes are all black. He doesn't question it as Louis closes the door behind him and literally runs towards the elevator with Zayn following right behind.

Zayn doesn't ask about the car either because Louis 'borrowed it' and it's just a way of transport to get them to the airport, they're not completely stealing it.

"What about our tickets?"

Louis smirks, "Covered"

"Entertain me" Zayn leans back in his chair and Louis chuckles.

"See, there was this person I knew that works there. I don't know how I could possibly have forgotten about him then"

"The same person?"

Louis shakes his head, "Wouldn't trust him" he glances at Zayn and pinches his cheek, "Sorry for waking you up, cupcake" Zayn narrows his eyes at him but doesn't comment on the nickname, "You can sleep later on our flight" Probably the last night he'll ever sleep. "But no ... was a customer. A regular. And I guess he liked me or something"

Zayn smiles, looking amusingly at Louis, "Aww. Is that the one who insisted to call you the cute barista?"

"Shut it" Louis rolls his eyes but Zayn laughs, "No, that's a different story. That one is actually decent. Like me as in a friendly way"

"Sure" This time Zayn reaches to pinch Louis' cheek.

"Don't. I'm driving!" Zayn smiles wider, "I'll park a bit far, yeah?"

Zayn nods and waits until Louis parks the car to exit. Louis grabs the bag from the backseat and they make their way inside. Louis takes care of the rest while Zayn waits patiently by his side. They don't wait for long until their flight is called out and Zayn sees Louis dumping his phone again before getting on the plane. He doesn't get sleep knowing where they're going despite Louis' attempts to soothe him. He doesn't know if Louis' words are meant for him or if Louis is trying to convince himself with them.

=====

Outside the airport, the air is heavy on their lungs, the sun is burning their skin, and the wind is freezing their nerves. Louis' eyes glance around and he takes a deep breath. He feels Zayn's arms around him tightening, telling him silently that they still got each other, which is the most important thing right now. They left this place together and now they're coming back together.

"It's not that different from the last time I remember"

"Ready?" Zayn asks instead.

Louis takes another deep breath and nods, "Not leaving me another choice"

It's not home. And neither welcomes it back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 321 15
ꜰɪɴᴇ ʟɪɴᴇ ʙʏ ʜᴀʀʀʏ ꜱᴛʏʟᴇꜱ ɪɴᴄʟᴜᴅᴇꜱ ᴛʀᴀᴄᴋꜱ ɢᴏʟᴅᴇɴ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀᴍᴇʟᴏɴ ꜱᴜɢᴀʀ ᴀᴅᴏʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ʟɪɢʜᴛꜱ ᴜᴘ ᴄʜᴇʀʀʏ ꜰᴀʟʟɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ꜱᴏ ʟᴏɴᴇʟʏ ꜱʜᴇ ꜱᴜɴꜰʟᴏᴡᴇʀ ᴠᴏʟ.6 ᴄᴀɴʏᴏɴ ᴍᴏᴏɴ ...
35.4K 1.3K 33
I can't help but fall in love with you...