Goodbye Carter

By piano354

Kennedy Summers has never been in love. Never kissed a boy, never had a boyfriend, never experienced more tha... More

goodbye carter
p r o l o g u e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n

o n e

32 6 0
By piano354

"You had me at hello..."

Jerry Maguire

December 3rd, 2013

HE HAD FIRST asked me out on a cold November morning as rain poured down the classroom windows.

He had given me a small smile, plopped into the desk chair next to my own, and asked me to small rendezvous to a horror movie. You see, I had no idea who this boy was. Hell, I didn't even know his name. So of course, like the mature and responsible teenager I was, I calmly declined.

His smile had faltered at first, his blue eyes falling towards his shoes. "Now," he tsked, "that's no way to treat a new student on his first day." His eyes bore into mine, as a lazy smile played on his lips.

I knew the line was practiced. Planned with the correct amount of eye contact to the vulnerability in his voice.

Kennedy Summers was smarter than this. Smarter to realize his moves, his plays.

I turned away from him, "if you wanted to get a girlfriend, you should have sat next to someone else," I say with a snip of attitude.

He shrugs, "however, I sat next to you..." he answers.

I scoff and turn back to him. His gaze was glued to me, as a small, playful smile spread across his lips. Classic.

"I suppose you wanted me to give you an invite."

He rolls his eyes but he's still smiling.

"Keep rolling your eyes. Maybe you'll find a brain back there." I say.

He chuckles and once again rolls his eyes. I bite my tongue as to not repeat my previous comment.

"I promise you, my brain is fully functional," he assures me.

I smirk, "I think you mean fictional."

He laughs again, "see, this is why I sat next to you."

"You ignored my use of a nonexistent invitation?"

"Nah."

"Or did I charm you with my powerful use of not caring in the slightest?"

"Ouch."

My lips slightly turned upwards.

Dammit, Kennedy!

"Hey! I saw that."

I raise my eyebrows and slightly laugh, "am I not allowed to smile now?" 

"I never said that."

I laugh, "Alright fine, I'm going to keep that in mind for next time."

"Stop distracting me." his eyes are on me.

"In what possible way am I distracting you?" I say as I raise a brow, giving a quick glance to my teacher as to make sure I truly wasn't distracting him or anybody else from the importance of various DNA structures.

"Your laugh is the most beautiful sound I've ever heard," he answers without a beat.

I almost groan, why did he have to be so smooth? Or cheesy, for that matter.

I couldn't help the redness from creeping up to my cheeks, "shut up." Was all I could muster.

"Do you know why I sat next to you?" He asks.

I sigh, "Why?"

"Because I knew we would become friends."

***

After this strange encounter that occurred on an early rainy morning, I had learned that this blue-eyed boy's name was Carter Thompson. He had learned that mine was Kennedy Summers.

He had commented on my shirt, telling me that he liked the color of my sweater. I then chuckled because my sweater was plain white.

Carter had also asked me to go out with him again.

I declined and answered, "I thought you wanted to be friends."

Carter shook his head and said, "for starters."

The whole situation had seemed extremely cliche to me. Of course, I wasn't against falling in love or "destiny" bringing two people together. Truthfully, I had wanted that my whole life, but as I stared at Carter Thompson I knew he would break my heart. It was something about his eyes. Those beautiful blue eyes. There was something that told me that he was too good for me. Too handsome, too clever, too... dependable.

As these thoughts had filled my brain almost immediately when I met Carter, so had the thoughts on his good looks- dark brown hair, olive skin, strong jawline, tall height... Oh, and his eyes- his icy blue eyes could pierce right through me.

This scared me. He visually attracted me, which would make it hard for me to think of him as a mere friend.

Curse teenage hormones!

Unfortunately, this had clouded my thoughts the whole day. It definitely didn't help that Carter had almost been in almost all of my classes.

Just my luck.

Although I'd be lying if I didn't say that we became fast friends. Carter and I bonded on a different level. We understood each other's jokes, we discussed our absolute hate for the subject of math, and were able to talk throughout the day without it becoming awkward.

Possibly because of this, Carter had followed me to lunch too. Tapping my shoulder and asking, "where do you sit?" continuously, because I wouldn't answer.

I guess I had rolled my eyes one too many times because Carter then started to repeat my comment from earlier that morning, "keep rolling your eyes! Maybe you'll find a brain back there!" He said with a mocking voice paired with a boyish smile.

"Clever," I deadpanned.

He gave me a look, "I can be snarky, just like you, it's a free country you know."

I groan, "just shut up."

He had followed me to the lunch line and insisted on carrying my tray for me, which I protested to no end. Hey! I was a young women who could take care of herself. You know that they say, future is female!

Finally, I had reached my breaking point and resorted to physical violence. I grabbed Carter's forearm and dragged down as hard as I could. I had almost pulled him down, but he suddenly dropped both of our trays, desperately trying to steady his balance. I managed to catch a falling apple, but the trays and the messy mystery meat from today's lunch menu smashed on the lunchroom floor- creating a huge mess, earning many groans from the students behind us.

"You're so annoying!" I said with a slight laugh.

He gave me a smile, "aw thanks, sweetheart."

I rolled my eyes again, then grimaced, realizing if Carter saw this I would never hear the end of it.

"Keep rolling your eyes! Maybe you'll-"

"If you keep talking I swear I'll rip your head off," I say with a growl.

Carter took a step back, as I smiled triumphantly.

I handed him the apple I had caught, "here, take it."

He started to say something, I interrupted.

"Did you say you still wanted your skull to be connected to your body?"

Carter motioned a zipper lacing his lips sealed. He took extra measures by throwing the zipper in the trash can behind him.

"You're so weird," I say.

He laughs, "Ditto."

Out of the corner of my eye I see our school janitor making his way over to the mess we both made- giving us a dirty look.

"What is this?" He asked with a sigh.

"Sorry Mr. Lang," I mutter with a sigh, knowing very well that if I said anything else he would give both me and Carter detention.

Mr. Lang's features became softer as he met Carter's eyes and carefully studies him, "Thompson- must be," he said to himself with a frown.

"Excuse me?" Carter asked with a confused look.

"Never mind, you kids just go. I'll finish this up."

"We're really sorry-" I start.

He meets Carter's eyes once again before looking away quickly, "I've got it handled, leave before I decide to give you both detention," he says with a stern look.

Carter gives me a look, waiting for me to make the first move.

I mutter a quick thanks to Mr. Lang and walk forwards, motioning for Carter to follow me.

"Who was that?" Carter asks as we make our way through the cafeteria.

"Our janitor, Mr. Lang. Do you know him?" I ask with a look of confusion.

Carter reciprocates my same expression as he shrugs, "never seen him before in my life."

Before I can reply a familiar voice interrupts.

"Who the hell is this?"

I turn to look at one of my best friends, Aiden Clark.

I had met Aiden in eighth grade when he started dating one of my friends. He and I spent a decent amount of time together before the two broke up (classic middle school relationship) causing the two of us to grow closer. When we transitioned into high school we continued to be friends, and he eventually became one of my best friends. Aiden was like a brother to me. He was very over protective of me. The irony being that he himself was known throughout the school as quite the player.

You see, even though I didn't think of Aiden in a romantic way, I had to admit he was very good looking. He attracted girls of all types with his dark brown hair, stark blue eyes, and his 6'2 height. Although Aiden would always be a good friend to me, even though he was a man whore.

I glance at Aiden, my eyes widening slightly, attempting to communicate to be nice. Aiden wasn't known to be the most welcoming to new people, especially new guys.

"This is Carter," I announce to my table with a smile, "he just transferred to our school and is new as of today," I explained.

Carter waves slightly awkwardly and then meets my eyes, obviously uncomfortable with how many pairs of eyes were looking at him.

I clear my throat, breaking the silence.

"So, Carter, this is Hannah," I point to the seat across from me, as Hannah slightly smiles, "and this is her boyfriend Noah," I motion to the seat next to Hannah, "then there's Georgia," I point to the seat across from Hannah, "and then Aiden."

Hannah and Georgia were my two best girl friends. I had known Georgia since I was basically a fetus (our mom's were friends in high school) and known each other our whole lives. Hannah and I became friends mutually through Georgia when she moved here to Connecticut in seventh grade and ended up being Georgia's next door neighbor. I considered Georgia and I closer, however, I still loved Hannah more than words could describe. I could trust both of them with anything.

Then came, Noah. Hannah and Noah started dating freshmen year and I basically consider them my OG couple. I was lab partners with Noah freshmen year and introduced him to some of my friends. Instantly Hannah and Noah hit it off. It honestly was love at first sight for both of them. Secretly Georgia and I dreamed of that kind of love- the undeniable kind. Since Hannah and Noah became so close so quick, he basically became part of our group, and had been for the last year. Bonding specifically with Aiden for their mutual "guy interests" I guess.

I couldn't be more thankful for my friends, I loved them so much.

Everyone smiled at Carter, very obviously trying to make him feel welcomed.

"Okay I got it, but not really so if totally butcher up your name I apologize in advance," Carter says with a nervous chuckle.

Noah laughs, "don't worry you're good man." Frankly, Noah was the nicest one out of him and Aiden. Noah was known to be the stereotypical boy next door- welcoming, nice, loyal.

Aiden on the other hand, had been more known for his bad boy ways. This was one of the many reasons girls were drawn to him. I guess they feel the need to "fix him". So cliche if you ask me, but Aiden was actually a total sucker for it.

I motion for Carter to sit down next to me.

"What did you say your name was?" Georgia asks as she very obviously checks Carter out.

Like I said, Georgia and I dreamed of a love like Hannah and Noah. And Georgia was out on the prowl.

Georgia was the type of girl that got what she wanted, that's one thing I admired about her. She had so much confidence, never ceasing to tell it how it was and continuously getting what she wanted.

I considered myself the opposite.

"So where did you come from, Carter?" Aiden bluntly asks as he practices Carter's name on his lips with a slight snarl.

"Aiden!" I hiss, "be polite."

Like I said, Aiden wasn't the most welcoming.

Aiden's eyes widen, "I am nice!"

"Rarely," I mutter.

Aiden sighs, "anyways you never answered," he says, his eyes piercing Carter's.

Carter raises his eyebrow, "about what?"

"Where you came from," Aiden replies.

"Aiden," I warn.

"Kends, I'm just asking a question!"

"Yeah, don't worry it's not that big of a deal," Carter says while taking a bite out of his apple, "I'm from New York."

"Oh really?" Georgia says excitedly.

Carter nods, "yup, coolest city in the world."

"I'm so jealous!" Georgia groans.

Georgia's dream school was NYU and she longed to live in New York and live the life of an aspiring actress.

"That explains the accent," Noah says.

Carter laughs, "yeah, my mom and I lived in Brooklyn for awhile. I picked up some."

Hannah smiles sweetly, "my uncle owns a small deli up there," she comments.

"Ah, really?" Carter replies with a smile, "small world."

Hannah nods while laying her head on Noah's shoulder.

I almost squealed. So freaking cute!

"I think I like your friends," Carter whispers to me.

I smile, "I'm glad."

"Yeah, me too," he replies.

"But you know you can consider them your friends too, I think they already like you," I comment.

His smile becomes wider, "I think I was pretty lucky to have met you."

"Oh really?" I say with a grin.

"Really," he confirms.

"Report back to me in a week, I think you'll get sick of me."

Carter strokes his chin, "I don't think I could ever get sick of you."

I scoff, "you're such a flirt!"

"That was smooth though, right?" Carter says with a knowing smirk.

"Hmm," I say as a tap my chin, "maybe slightly," I admit.

He chuckles as I roll my eyes.

"Your hair is soft," Carter says as he twirls a piece of my long brown hair.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Aiden visibly stiffen. I immediately feel guilty. Why? I had no idea.

I chuckle and turn away, "come on Thompson, keep it in your pants," I say as I swallow my guilt and look away from both Carter and Aiden.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

120K 2.1K 37
We always wanted what we couldn't have. "Tell me you didn't feel anything," he pleaded. It was as if he was begging not to feel anything. How could...
1.8K 99 44
"So what did you think of the assignment?" He persisted in getting an answer but Bailey had another conversation already in mind. "I noticed you loo...
63.3K 1.3K 44
All the way throughout elementary school it was always Bella, Leo, Liz, Flynn, Nate, Elliot and Amelia. They were all long time friends.. In the sop...
1.9K 245 46
(COMPLETED) Cassie Logan had everything, she had the looks the grades and even the boy she thought was the one in high school. Everything changed whe...