Daddy's Little Girl (Complete...

By JustMike75

Harrison Kringe loses more than his wife when she suddenly dies after giving birth; he loses his mind. He bla... More

Chapter one: Time of Death...
Chapter two: The War Within
Chapter three: Trust Issues
Chapter four: Broken Spirit
Chapter five: We Have Shots Fired
Chapter Six: The Way Life Is
Chapter seven: In the Flesh
Chapter eight: Ambidextrous
Chapter nine: In the Dog House
Chapter Ten: The Reunion
Chapter 11: Private Meeting
Chapter 12: Foul Play
Chapter 13: Mine's Bigger Than Yours
Chapter 14: Scavenger Hunt
Chapter 15: Catching Up
Chapter 16: Business and Pleasure
Chapter 17: Bloodbath
Chapter 18: The Invitation
Chapter 19: Stress-Free Day
Chapter 21: Mind Struggle
Chapter 22: Unsupervised
Chapter 23: Ready For The Kill
Chapter 24: Slipping Away
Chapter 25: Know Thy Enemy
Chapter 26: The Good Samaritan
Chapter 27: Redemption Denied
Chapter 28: Breaking News
Chapter 29: End of the Line
Chapter 30: Pummeled
Chapter 31: Toying With The Law
Chapter 32: Game Over
Chapter 33: Forget Me Not
DLG POETRY CONTEST
Poetry Contest Winners
Daddy's Little Girl ~ BLURB Entries
COMING SOON!!!

Chapter 20: Death For Dessert

2.8K 126 24
By JustMike75

Harrison looks to Abby as he walks toward the door, "Are you ready?"

Abby's glare is fixated on the door. It's like she can't look away. She has an undying desire to see the police woman enter her domain for the first time...for the last time. She answers him with anticipation in her voice, "Yes."

Harrison pulls the front door open and smiles at his guest. "Detective, don't you look lovely."

Brandy is wearing a nice pair of tan slacks and a white button down shirt. In her left hand, she holds a bottle of wine. "Harrison please, I'm off duty, call me Brandy." She smiles.

He chuckles, "Sorry, Brandy, won't you come in?"

She steps into the house and Harrison takes her jacket as a gentleman would. Charlie rushes to her, his tail wagging like mad. How he has missed her. She rubs his head and back, she has missed him too.

Abby's eyes are locked onto Brandy. If looks could kill, Harrison would have another dead body to dispose of right now. Abby's want for the detective has grown into an obsession. Brandy Page has visited them once before and she managed to escape with her life. Abby can't allow that to happen a second time.

Harrison begins to walk toward the kitchen, "Dinner is just about ready."

Brandy notices, "It smells good."

"Thanks, just a little something I threw together." He calls from the kitchen.

Brandy approaches the table where Abby sits staring. "Hi, Abby. Remember me?"

Abby doesn't answer her. Harrison notices and comes from the kitchen, "Abby? When someone speaks to you, you should answer them."

Abby looks to Harrison then back to Brandy, "Yes, I remember."

Brandy smiles, not sure what to think of Abby and her odd behavior, "So, I hear you and Charlie have become good friends."

Abby is silent and doesn't answer Brandy. Harrison must once again intervene. He had a feeling this might become a problem. Abby's social skills are lacking and if he doesn't do something quickly, Brandy might begin to question her strange mannerisms. He thinks, 'We only have to worry about her until the end of dinner.'

"I apologize for Abby's behavior. She's not the most talkative person. It isn't very often we have visitors."

Brandy takes that as the truth and doesn't press the issue, "Well that's okay. She can talk to me whenever she's ready." Brandy smiles at her but doesn't get one in return.

Throughout the course of the meal, Abby doesn't pay much attention to the food on her plate. She is more interested in Brandy, watching her every move. Harrison reminds Abby to eat but she doesn't acknowledge him. The only voice she hears is telling her to stab the police woman with her fork. Abby resists her impulses and obeys her father's request to wait until after dinner.

Brandy tries to make small talk with Abby but the five year old has no desire to talk, especially to her.

"So, Abby. Are you in school yet?"

Abby remains quiet, so Harrison answers for her, "Not yet, but I've been working with her. I have taught her everything she knows."

"Oh, how nice. What about her mother? Is she around?"

Abby looks to Harrison awaiting an answer. Harrison looks down, his face morphs into sadness. "She...Rebecca died, five years ago, right after Abby was born."

"Oh Harrison, I...I'm so sorry." Brandy feels terrible for bringing the subject up.

"No-no, it's okay, you didn't know."

Now, as if Brandy wasn't already uncomfortable enough with Abby just gazing at her, the extremely awkward silence at the dinner table has Brandy nearly squirming in her seat. Her neck feels hot, her palms are sweaty, and she feels like the center of attention. This meal can't be over soon enough. If only Brandy knew what is planned for her after dinner, she would take her time eating.

As the sound of the metal utensils 'clink' and 'clank' across the ceramic plates, dinner is rapidly approaching its end. Abby is on high alert, unblinking, anxious for the meal's conclusion.

Brandy has cleaned her plate, "That was amazing! Where did you learn to cook like that, Harrison?"

"Oh stop it, did you really like it?"

"It was delicious." Brandy's palate is easy to please. Most of the meals she eats begin with, 'may I take your order'. Brandy only enjoys home cooked food on holidays when she visits family.

Harrison smiles to Brandy, "If you thought dinner was good, you are going to love the next course." He looks to Abby, "Abby, it's time."

Abby excuses herself silently from the table and leaves the room.

Brandy curiously wonders, "Time for what?"

"I promised Abby a special treat when dinner was over."

Brandy is intrigued, "Well, what did you promise her?"

Harrison reaches to a covered dish and removes the lid, "Death...by chocolate. It's Abby's favorite."

A frosted chocolate cake widens Brandy's eyes, "Mmmm, how did you know I had a weakness for chocolate?" She smiles playfully.

Harrison smiles back at her, "You're a woman...and women love chocolate."

Brandy has a surprised look.

Harrison looks past Brandy into the kitchen. Abby is walking toward them slowly. Brandy's back is exposed and she doesn't see the evil five year old coming at her with the large sharp knife.

Harrison tries to keep Brandy's attention focused on him, "So Brandy, how's work been?"

Brandy sips her wine, "Crazy lately. It seems like something terrible happens every time I turn around."

Harrison chuckles, "Well, maybe you should avoid turning around then." He sips his drink.

Harrison peeks to Abby again. She is just a few paces away. She raises the steel blade, ready to plunge it into the detective's back. Abby is so close now, she can almost taste Brandy's blood. The moment she has been waiting for is here, now. Her adrenaline is beginning to pump as she is just inches from the stab. The fatal stab, which Harrison knows will change everything.

Abby is within striking distance. She plans to sink the entire length of the blade into Brandy, in one thrust. She must apply great force; she draws the knife way back.

Harrison nods to her, signaling his approval. Abby steadies her hand, ready to ram the knife down into Brandy.

'Rinnnnng – rinnnng' Brandy's phone calls to her from her jacket pocket. She quickly stands to go get it. Harrison raises his hand to Abby, telling her to wait. Abby lowers the knife and backs into the kitchen with a disappointed look in her eyes.

"Excuse me a moment." Brandy rushes to her phone and answers it. "Hello?"

It's her partner. Brandy listens as Ron tells her another body has just been found and she is needed at the crime scene.

Brandy huffs, "Okay, I'll be right there." She hangs up and looks to Harrison.

Abby has joined Harrison back at the table, minus the knife. They are both looking at Brandy, waiting for her to speak.

"I apologize, but I have to go...I'm needed at a crime scene."

Harrison stands, "Are you sure you can't have your cake first?"

As much as Brandy wants a slice, she must decline the offer, "I'm sorry, I can't."

Harrison looks let down but cracks a weak smile, "I suppose the life of a detective can be quite demanding."

"I promise I'll make it up to you...somehow."

Harrison goes to the front door and opens it for her and coldly adds, "Sure you will. Have a good night, detective."

Brandy feels hurt he has called her 'detective.' She steps out into the cool night, "Harrison, I'm sorry..."

Harrison doesn't wait for her to finish, "Yeah. Me too." He closes the door in her face.

Harrison turns to Abby, who sits at the table, a look of anger in her eyes. "Don't worry Abby, she'll be back."

Harrison begins to clean up the table and wash the dishes. Abby enters the kitchen watching him. He looks to her, "What is it Abby?"

"Tell me about my mother, Rebecca."

Harrison knew it wouldn't be long before she would start asking questions about Rebecca again. He takes her into the living room and sits her down. He explains how much Rebecca meant to him and that if she was still alive, things would have been different.

Abby asks, "Why did she die?"

Harrison looks at her with sorrow in his eyes, "It was just her time. Sometimes people just die."

"Why?"

"Because Abby, sooner or later, everyone dies."

Subconscious Suspicions

Brandy pulls into the lot behind the shopping center. A coroners van and three police cars are parked, lights still flashing. She drives past all of the onlookers.

She ducks beneath the yellow crime tape. She approaches Ron and the other officers,

"So where's the body?"

Ron has a disturbed look on his face, "It's in the dumpster...but it doesn't look much like a body anymore." He hands her a flashlight.

Brandy isn't sure what he means by that. She walks past the yellow police tape and peers into the dark opening. The smell is rancid, turning the chicken and rice within her stomach. The sounds of hundreds of flies swarming the rotten flesh only add to her nausea. She clicks the light on. Forced to cover her nose, she looks down into the darkness and shines the light at the blob of skin, hair, and bones. The black plastic trash bag has been torn to shreds. The body has been feasted upon by some unknown hungry wild animal. The maggots crawling all over sickeningly resemble the rice Brandy had eaten for dinner. I'm gonna puke.

Brandy pulls herself away, exhaling the air she was holding in, trying not to breathe in the toxic gases the body is emitting. She catches a strong whiff of the odor and begins to dry heave. 'Urgh, urght, urrt', "Oh God!" She quickly rejoins Ron.

Ron looks at her, showing no sympathy, "So what'd you have for dinner?"

Brandy is hunched over, hands on her knees, trying to keep her meal down, "Just a second, I'll show you."

"If you about to hurl, get the hell away from me."

Brandy fights the churning in her gut and finally stands erect, relieved, 'Whew', "That was horrible."

Ron brings her up to speed, "Yeah, tell me about it. The poor kid over there found the body earlier while taking the trash out." He points to a teenager wearing an apron from a pizzeria.

"What the hell happened to the body? It looks like it was melted or something."

"Not sure, but from the looks of it probably some kind of acid."

"Any idea who it could be?"

"Won't know for sure until an autopsy is done, but I think that you and me both know who it is."

Brandy looks to Ron, "Sheila Ducane."

Ron nods.

As they walk back to their vehicles, the coroner's van with the victim's remains pulls from the lot.

Ron apologizes, "Sorry I had to interrupt your dinner."

"It's okay."

"So, who is the guy anyway?"

"I told you, no one. Just a guy named Harrison."

Ron stops walking, thinking for a moment, "Harrison? His last name wouldn't be Kringe would it?"

Brandy turns to Ron, "Yeah. How the hell did you know that?"

"Oh shit...I finished looking through the last of that paperwork and came across a file with the name Harrison Kringe. Five years ago, he was supposed to be transferring to the North Point branch of A.C.T.S.; everything was all set but he was a no-show-no-call. No one ever heard from him."

Brandy tries to understand, "What?"

"Yeah, your name was in the file, too. You were appointed to be his training supervisor."

Brandy thinks back, Harrison Kringe... She vaguely remembers the day in Lynn Holbrook's office, the day she took a leave of absence, her last day working for A.C.T.S., "Son-of-a-bitch!" Things are starting to make more sense now.

"What?"

She shakes her head in disbelief. "Nothing...just trying to figure this out." Too many thoughts are racing through her head to make sense of it right now.

"Page, you think your date is our suspect?"

Brandy gives Ron a look, "It wasn't a date and I don't know, but I'm going to find out."

Ron steps into his car and warns, "Don't make your move without me, Page."

"Where you headed?"

"I was headed home before I got this call but now I got a stack of paperwork to do. What are you gonna do?"

"I think I'm gonna go have a drink...talk to Jason one more time."

"Alright partner, you call me if you get anything new. I'll see you later."

"Night, Travis."

Driving to O'Malley's, Brandy is torn. She has a thought to go back to Harrison Kringe's house and question him regarding the murder of Lynn Holbrook and the disappearance of Sheila Ducane. However, because she had departed the house so suddenly and on a rather sour note, she feels it wouldn't be wise to go back just yet. An accusation such as abduction or murder could completely ruin the relationship between them. Besides, she needs more evidence before she can return to his house. She needs to sit and think before making her next move...a beer in her hand wouldn't hurt either.

Entering the bar, she sees Jason Wilkes serving drinks. She has hopes he won't nag her too much regarding Sheila. Brandy dreads the thought of having to tell him about the body in the dumpster. After all, in her heart, she knows it was Sheila. Maybe he won't ask...Yeah, right!

She sits at the bar and before Jason has the chance, Brandy speaks first, "Jason, can you describe that guy to me, one more time? Tell me everything you remember about that night."

Sometimes the biggest clues can be found in the smallest of details. Brandy has already heard the story once but she hadn't even thought of the possibility that Harrison Kringe could have been the culprit.

Jason has a look of concern, "Sure."

As Jason talks, Brandy takes mental notes. Everything Jason is saying is describing Harrison Kringe to the finest detail. Tall, dark, and mysterious. Jason recalls the night Harrison had left with Sheila down to the minute. Brandy listens to Jason's words as if they are the gospel and her prayers would be answered at any second. The longer she listens, the more she begins to suspect Harrison.

Something Jason says catches Brandy's attention, "So he sat with his back to the bar and he paid with cash?"

Jason nods, "Yeah, why?"

Brandy is here to ask the questions, not answer them, "No reason." Brandy thinks back a couple of nights ago when she saw Harrison flirting with the two young women. She recalls him sitting just as Jason had explained, his back to the bar and she watched him pay with cash. These may only be small bits of evidence but, at this point, every little bit helps. Brandy still feels she needs more to go on before accusing Harrison of any crimes.

As she is leaving the bar, Brandy plans to just go home and sleep on it. Maybe tomorrow some new piece of evidence could give her the ammunition she needs to return to the Kringe household.

While she drives, she thinks of all the similarities Jason Wilkes' description had with the man she had just eaten dinner with. So many thoughts are flowing around in her mind and she can't seem to concentrate on just one. She really does hope these are all just coincidences...but her gut instinct, which is rarely wrong, is telling her Harrison Kringe is a bad man.

Turning on to a dark road, she realizes thisisn't the way to her house. Her thoughts and worries had her so distracted thatshe was just driving blindly. Subconsciously, she has driven herself back tothe house she had left so suddenly; the house of Harrison Kringe. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vote, vote, vote!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25 2 22
A broken daughter of a mob boss, a criminal seeing something to exploit, and the radical changes that come about. Follow the growth of a girl destine...
53 0 12
Two Parents decided to take care of one child better than the other one. But the other grew twisted and angry. He Then grew powerful and stronger and...
251K 8.7K 26
When a beautiful girl meets a shy boy and they fall in love. But the boys dad gets this crazy obsession with the young girl. What will happen? P.S. I...
114 0 18
Her father built a weapon. And it was her. Though, his new found wife was pregnant with a boy and he was done with his first daughter. Since her mo...