Chapter nine: In the Dog House

Harrison watches through the window as detective Page reverses her car from his driveway. Harrison can't help but think that this detective might prove to be trouble. Not to mention, now he is stuck with a dog he doesn't want.

Once the cars lights are gone from sight Harrison turns to Abby, who sits holding her teddy bear.

Harrison snaps, "What did I tell you about talking to the police?" The tone in his voice makes her wince.

She has no excuse.

Harrison sees she is scared. "Abby, I'm not upset with you but you must be more careful. What would you have done if she had taken the bear?"

Abby looks to him, making eye contact, "I would have cut her!"

Harrison smiles, an evil grin, "See. That's exactly the sort of thing that can get you and I into a lot of trouble...No hurting the police! Say it!"

"No hurting the police."

"Good. Now let's continue with your acting lesson."

Abby did exactly what Harrison had told her to. When their unexpected visitor arrived, Harrison had to think quickly. He handed Abby a flashlight and ordered her to go outside and confront the trespasser. He told her to act sad and to show the stranger her teddy bear. Harrison taught her how to use the stuffed bear as a tool of distraction. While the unsuspecting victim is busy looking at the toy, Abby could attack. They would never see it coming. Unfortunately, their visitor was a cop and Harrison had to intervene before Abby did anything too rash.

After Abby is sent to bed, Harrison sits quietly, contemplating his next few moves. Charlie hasn't budged since Brandy had left. He sits, whimpering at the door.

Harrison snaps at the frightened animal, "Shut up!"

Charlie's ears lower and his head drops but the whining continues, only softer now.

This small house isn't made for pets. The yard isn't fenced in. Harrison doesn't even have a food bowl for the beast. He must do something he detests. He must protect this animal from his very own creation, his daughter. Harrison worries Abby will be a danger to Charlie, which would be his own fault. Harrison must keep Abby and Charlie separated...at least until detective Page is no longer a problem.

As much as he hates the thought of it, the only place Harrison can think of to keep Charlie is in his bedroom. The room he'd swore to never enter again.

Harrison drags the dog by the collar down the long hallway. Charlie resists but can't get a grip, his paws slipping on the slick wood floor. Harrison stops, reaches up, and gets the key resting on the top ledge of the door frame.

Upon opening the door, it howls an eerie creaking scream. The room is muggy. The smell of mildew and stale air hit Harrison's nose like a brick.

The room is dark, but Harrison can still remember what it last looked like. Blood...Blood everywhere. He conjures up the horrifying memories of that dreaded night five years ago--

"Harrison, honey, I think it's time!" Rebecca shakes Harrison ever so gently.

Harrison opens his eyes, and for a moment, thinks to himself, trying to remember what he was just dreaming about. Suddenly, he jumps out of the bed, excited, "This is it? It's time?"

Rebecca excitedly confirms by nodding quickly. Harrison rushes to her side of the bed, helping her to her feet.

Rebecca reminds him, "Don't forget the bags in the clos--"