The Fangirl Diaries

By Gamergirlexe87

It's not easy being a Fanboy/ Fangirl. You have to wait for updates, decide on an OTP over all your glorious... More

Some Information For You (Read!!!)
Fanboy/Fangirl Dictionary
Maybe I Am Stalling (W2H Sockathon buddy-buddy fic. one-shot)
Dictionary of my Personal Slang
Where have I been?!
A NEW Show!
Reviewing Welcome to Hell
OMG, Yes! (About Hiveswap)
Ships
Things to Look Forward To

Reviewing Undertale Yellow: A fanmade prequel that's looking great!

27 0 3
By Gamergirlexe87

 So quiet recently I learned of Undertale Yellow.  Undertale Yellow is a fanmade prequel to Undertale, that follows Clover, the sixth human that fell before Frisk, and his journey through the Underground.  I have gone on many wiki pages, seen lots of unique dialog and endings, watched let's plays, and even played through the demo myself a few times before writing this.  This is my review on Undertale Yellow!  Enjoy!

~~Storyline~~

        Only the demo is out so far, But i'll add onto the review when it comes out and I play through it and see the true endings.  The storyline as of now is quiet beautiful!

        We see our player character, Clover, jump into the hole on Mt. Ebott in search of the missing children lost in the Underground.  After an encounter with froggit, our girl Toriel saves him.  She takes us through the ruins and has us practice the puzzles.  However, the second puzzle (The switch puzzle)  Malfunctions, causing Clover to fall into a lower level of the ruins (The dark ruins), separated from Toriel.  Walking down the only way we can go, we encounter Flowey, who is seemingly nice, as he has not gotten bored of being nice and started killing people yet.  He saves the game for us with his determination (Clover's soul is yellow, the soul of justice, hence the name Undertale Yellow).  As we wander farther through the  Dark Ruins, we encounter a mysterious hooded monster (Dalv)  who flees from us, believing we are a part of his imagination.  We follow Dalv through the Dark Ruins, encountering many new enemies, and fight the mini boss Decibat.  The play can choose the Pacifist, Neutral, or Genocide routes.

        In the pacifist route, you fight and befriend Dalv, Decibat, and the other monsters, gaining lots of support from Flowey, who encourages you to do the right thing.  You explore Dalv's house, and he tells you about the stuff there, but doesn't allow you to enter his room.

        In the genocide route, you fight and kill Dalv, Decibat, and the other monsters.  You explore Dalvs house, and insult his house hold items, such as his balloon Pops (Which you deflate) and the broom that "has been...[Dalv's] best friend" (You state that it's very inferior to you).  You may enter his room.

        In the neutral route, the only difference in the play through will be weather you kill or spare Dalv and Decibat, and some minor differences in dialogue.

~~Characters~~

Clover:

Clover is our silent protagonist.  He has a lot of character for not talking, maybe even more so than Frisk.  In appearance, he looks like a westerner, with a bandana,  cowboy hat, and donning a rifle as his weapon.  Clover has the yellow soul of justice, and comes to the Undergound in search of the previous missing human.  He carries around a missing poster as a "Grim reminder of [his] mission,"  as justice shall be served.

Toriel:

Toriel is the same as the last game, except she wears a red scarf.  The scarf is very pretty in my opinion. 

Toriel's over world sprite.

Flowey:

Flowey's personality differs greatly from the original game.  He is kind, and by our side no matter which route we choose.  I love this because it makes since for storyline, gameplay, and even works in cannon!

Official artwork from the Gamejolt page.

Flier:

Flier is the first enemy you encounter in the Dark ruins.  He is depressed, but is trying to be hip to make him look cooler and make some friends.  In my opinion he is very cute and really needs a hug.

Official Flier sprite with animation.

Penilla:

Penilla is the second enemy you encounter in the Dark Ruins.  She looks like a young dinosaur, but her head looks like a pencil tip and her tail ends in an eraser.  She is very artsy, drawing during her battle.  I really like her character, as me and my friends are avid drawers.

Official Penilla sprite with animation.

Sweet Corn:

The third monster you encounter in the Dark Ruins, Sweet corn appears in the corn maze room and onwards.  Sweet corn is extremely kind and energetic.  Sweet corn will be oblivious to the genocide run until you kill her.  She is the only monster pencilla can really bear to be around.  Sweet corn just wants everyone to be happy.  Sweet corn is an amazing cinnamon roll who deserves all da hugs!  Seriously, you need to hug her to spare her.   She's my favorite Dark Ruins random encounter enemy.

Official Sweet Corn sprite with animation.

Decibat:

Decibat is the Dark Ruins miniboss.  He prefers silence.  After sparing him, he makes you an official sentinel of silence.  I respect Decibat, and am honored to be a sentinel of silence!  Now go in silence!  Hhush Hhush!

Just some cute Decibat Fanart!

Rorrim:

Rorrim is the forth monster you encounter in the Dark Ruins.  He is based on a mirror.  He wants to see you smiles, because, as he says, "Smiles are never out of style."  His name, Rorrim is mirror spelled backwards.  In my opinion, his is the least interesting monster in the dark ruins (But likable none-the-less).

Rorrim official sprite with animation.

Crispy Scroll:

Crispy Scroll is the fifth monster you encounter in the dark ruins, shortly after Rorrim.  He is an anime looking for someone to talk to and fanboy with.  This monster is awesome and his anime power is OVER 9000!!!

Crispy Scroll official sprite with animation.

Dalv:

Dalv is a main character that chooses to live in the Dark Ruins.  He is a socially awkward, depressed vampire with trust issues.  He doesn't like people to come to his house.  He is my favorite character, but he is hard to put into words (He's just that awesome!).  He has many imaginary friends, and is secretly very lonely.  If you know me, I love characters that are socially awkward, kind, and have imaginary friends (looking at you Tavros!).  Dalv is just such a cutie pie!

Official artwork of Dalv (And Clover) from the Gamejolt page.  The title is 'You can't say you weren't warned.'

Corn Dog:

A relative of Toby Fox (That's the working theory of mine).  I know it's a healing item, it was just so fluffy it had to be on here.  A dog made of corn.

~~Locations~~

Dark Ruins:

The Dark Ruins are the only major location revealed so far.  The Ruins played a minor role, and a slightly altered version of Snowdin is confirmed to play a major role later on (It doesn't exist in the game yet).  The Dark Ruins are a lower level of the Ruins Toriel lives in.  They are more dilapidated than the upper floor, but more vast, and even boasts a corn maze and it's own unique monster community.  The monsters habituating the area are (Listed in order of appearance):  Flier,  Penilla, Sweet Corn,  Decibat, Rorrim,  Crispy Scroll, and Dalv.  I'm very impressed by this location, as it takes my least favorite location in Undertale and makes it interest me.  It also is the home of my favorite character, Dalv.

~~Combat~~

The combat system is much like Undertale's, with the fight, act, item, and mercy buttons.  The fight button has a gun next to it instead of a knife slash, as you begin with a gun loaded with rubber pellets instead of a stick.  Using the gun gives you the attack gauge the antique rifle from Undertale.  The act, item, and mercy buttons remain unchanged.  The names still turn yellow when a monster can be spared.  There is no current way to change them to pink or to remove the color entirely.  Pretty great but... no pink names.  :'(  JK, I love it with or without pink names!! :D

~~Overall~~

Overall, this is a great game and you should play it (I did!).  It's free on Gamejolt.  It's very well made, the combat system is easy to use, the dialogue is well thought out, and the new locations and characters are unique, likable, and fit well with the game.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

136K 10.1K 57
BOOK #2 They say love heals scars, but Seokmin's scars were lessons-bitter reminders that twisted him into a creature of darkness. His life was a ser...
778K 29K 97
𝐀 π’πŒπ€π‹π‹ 𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐓: you are going to die. does this worry you? βͺ tua s1 ⎯⎯⎯ 4 ❫ Β© π™΅π™Έπš…π™΄π™·πš‡πšπ™Άπšπ™΄π™΄πš…π™΄πš‚...
145K 6.6K 100
In the vast and perilous world of One Piece, where the seas are teeming with pirates, marines, and untold mysteries, a young man is given a second ch...
777K 46.6K 117
Y/N L/N is an enigma. An outgoing, cheerful, smiley teenage boy. Happy, sociable, excitable. A hidden gem in the rough of Japan's younger soccer pl...