Thanatos : The Red Dawn

By Devita33

((A Wattpad featured story)) *COMPLETED* #1 in Fantasy (Book #1 in the DAWN series) #greekmythology The Red... More

Thanatos : The Red Dawn (Book 1) Prologue
(1)Russet Shades
(2)Tuscan Red Rogue
(3)Wine coloured poison
(4)Tinted to Crimson
(5)Flamboyant Flame
(6)Morbid Maroon
(7)The Cardinal Sin
(8)Bloody Truth
(9)Rusted in Resistance
(10)Silhouettes in the Sunset
(11)Rosy Candle Light
(12)Sorrow-filled Vermilion Coast
(13)Scarlett Facades
(14)A Carmine Salute (Part 1)
(14)A Carmine Salute (Part 2)
(15)A Quaking Scarlet
(16)Hell is a Cherry Red
(17)Sour Raspberries
(18)Son of a Burgundy (Part 1)
(18)Son of a Burgundy (Part 2)
(19)Torn up in Red wine
(20)Coquelicot's Demise
(21)Coercing Coral Rivers
(22)Rosso Sognare (Part 1)
(22)Rosso Sognare (Part 2)
(23)Rosey Trance
(24)Ruddy Minds
(25)The lost Scarlet
(26)Cardinal Fix
(27)The Cherry-Sway
(28)A Red hunger
(29)A Dangerous Flame
(30)A Plea in Crimson
(31)Sour Strawberries
(32)Forget the Bad Blood
(33)My Fire, My Fury
(34)Bribes, Burgundy and Bastards
(35)The Blushing Game
(36)Unforgiving Scarlet
(36)Unforgiving Scarlet (Part 2)
(37)Auburn and Outlandish
(38)Bordeaux Touch
(39)Ruby Camaraderie
(40)The Sunrise Theory
(41)Garnet Wine and Familiar Yearning
(42)A Carnelian Damsel
(43)Bloody Intrusion (Part 1)
(43)Bloody Intrusion (Part 2)
(44)Sweet Vermilion Dreams
(45)Pomegranate Pips(Part 2)
Epilogue
Crimson Pieces- The Tales Book
FACTS
SEQUEL
1 Million

(45)Pomegranate Pips (Part 1)

30.6K 1.4K 704
By Devita33

"I'm no phantom, but if you'll be beauty, I can be your beast..."

Pomegranate Pips

"I agree with Aurora, I think it's wiser to keep this between the necessary parties." Thanatos said curtly.

Conrad shook his head slightly; "The gods have a right to know what's happening."

"And the main ones do; but we don't need the whole of Olympus to know just yet. It'll only cause a commotion, and not to mention make it much harder for us to find the killer."

"Thanatos is right- surprisingly..." I spoke up from my seat on the couch; "We need to keep this private, Conrad. If we go around telling everyone we're on the lookout for a murderer, we lose the element of surprise, which is exactly what the killer had to get this far."

Conrad sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

Thanatos looked at me with a lifted eyebrow. He was standing in the darkest corner of the disorganised study; his back leaning against the mahogany desk with his one foot crossed over the other and his arms folded across his chest.

He looked pretty good in those hard leather pants.

Whoops... Where were we with this conversation?

"Yes, yes... Alright, I understand. I won't tell a soul."

Oh, right. Gods and serial killers...

"Only a small group of us know." Thanatos said from the side as Conrad placed his hands on the table in front of him to think. Thanatos Kept his calculating eyes low;

"Us, the three brothers; Zeus, Hades and Poseidon and Hermes knows because he's the one who found Hecate's body. Persephone knows because- well, it's Persephone. She wriggled it out of Hades. And of course Hera knows."

"Because she's the queen of the gods?" I asked as I crossed my legs on the comfortable sofa.

"No, because Zeus can't keep any kind of a secret from her."

I nodded my head. I suppose all the myths about Zeus' infidelity and Hera's jealousy were true. There was so much I still needed to learn.

"What about the other Archmages?" Conrad asked as he gathered some papers.

"We'll talk to them soon enough- when we have more evidence and clarity. We also wouldn't want to unknowingly tell the killer about our plans."

"And you're sure you're not the killer?" Conrad asked as he lifted a sketchy brow up at Thanatos.

The Greek god chuckled and shot the old wizard a steely stare; "How highly you think of me..."

"Just checking. Sometimes the most obvious suspect is the right one."

"Hmm... Check again." Thanatos grumbled and rolled his eyes.

I snickered from the couch. Thanatos shot me an irritated glare, but I quickly covered my amused grin with the thick book in my hands.

"What about your brother?"

My ears perked up.

"What about my brother?" Thanatos asked in an annoyed tone.

Conrad shrugged his shoulders; "I only assumed you'd want to warn him to be careful? Who knows what this lunatic wants; or who?"

"Hypnos can take care of himself."

Interesting... Hypnos? I've heard that name before. The god of sleep, wasn't it?
I wonder if he was anything like Thanatos.

Good lord- two of them!

That's a horrible idea!
Or was it?
Hmmm...

Two Thanatos'... Two pairs of sexy eyes, four devilishly talented hands, two-pairs of six-packs and a whole lot of sass.

That doesn't sound too bad?

"Aurora?"

"Huh?"

I looked up at the two men staring down at me. Conrad's face was full of unease and worry, but Thanatos knew exactly what I was thinking about; which is probably why he wiggled his eyebrows and winked.

I blushed and shot him a deadly glare; "Sorry, Conrad..."

"As I was saying, I have a class to lecture now, so you can go ahead and practise so long. Alexus will arrive later around midday to start with your Astronomical lessons, but I'll be back before then so we can revise that fire spell from yesterday."

I nodded with a wide smile; "Have fun!"

Conrad winked and walked towards the door, but then turned slightly, as if forgetting something; "Well, come on then!"

Thanatos was looking at me with a sly smile and didn't notice the old wizard calling to him.

I blushed deeper and tried to focus on the text in front of my eyes. It all just blurred together. The room suddenly felt very hot.

Conrad cleared his throat with great exaggeration.

Thanatos rolled his eyes and shot the old man a glare; "Can I help you?"

"Would you so kindly mind as to leave my pupil to her studies?"

A dramatic sigh escaped the Greek god's mouth.

"Actually I would mind, but seeing as I have some things to sort out on earth, I'll leave her in peace."

Thank the heavens!

"For now."

Why is my heart beating so fast? Calm down, jeez...

"Watch out there, Thanatos..." I said as my eyes skimmed over the page, not really registering what I was reading.

Thanatos turned his head slightly to give me a questioning look; I smiled up sweetly at him from the couch; "I don't think your ego will fit through that tiny door. Maybe just hunch your shoulders a little bit."

He was momentarily surprised by my insult. Conrad snickered softly from the other side of the room, but I kept the innocent smile plastered to my face and dropped my eyes back down to the book.

Thanatos shot Conrad a nasty glower. The old man tried to hide his smile as he shot me a wink and a sly 'thumbs-up' before he disappeared through the door; his dark green robe making a flapping noise as he briskly walked down the passage.

Thanatos was looking at me again, but this time I couldn't tell if it was in annoyance or with a mischievous smirk like before.

"Still here?"

I looked up to check.

Mischievous smirk it is.

"Need a hand to get out of the building? You could always use the window."

"Ha-ha." Thanatos said dryly, but his smirk was still very much present; and so was a strange look in his eyes. I'd seen it before- it was a nerve-wrecking combination of admiration, longing and respect. I felt a rush of content overwhelm me.

"Are you leaving your shadow behind to babysit me again?"

"Unfortunately, I can't. It needs to feed and I'd rather not leave it hungry here with you."

"Ah, drat! Well- I guess I'll just have to study in peace without some creepy red-eyed phantom watching my every move. However will I manage?"

Thanatos pursed his lips; his smile was crooked and did things to me that I'd rather not admit out loud.

"I could always stay- I'm no phantom, but if you'll be beauty, I can be your beast?"

"Did you just make a reference to Disney? Not just Disney, but a Disney princess movie? I'm sorry- do you have a fever?"

Thanatos chuckled as I eyed him with an incredulous look.

He moved closer to me and my heart stopped its fast drum as if it lapsed into a silent shock. My breathing came out laboured and shallow. The sound of his boots hitting the tiled floor- moving closer- made the hairs on my arms stand on end.

"You do know it was originally a French fairytale by the name of 'La Belle et la Bête' written by Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve."

Good lord! He needs to speak in a French accent more often!

"Vous êtes si belle..."

I felt my thighs clench.

"Belle...?" My voice was shaky as I looked up at him hovering over me; his red eyes dark and powerful.

I only knew Latin now, not French! Not that it mattered- he could be telling me I had to take out the trash and I'd still want to rip his shirt off.

"Tu m'excites. J'ai envie de toi."

Scratch that- I want to tear his shirt off with my teeth.

"The feeling is mutual, mon ange..."

Thanatos placed his hands on either side of the couch to trap me in.

See! This is why I need a mind-blocking spell!

"I thought you were in a hurry?"

"You must've mistaken me with Conrad. I, my dear, am very much at ease. Maybe I'll stay a while..."

His eyes dropped down to my chest. I could feel the electricity start right back up like a fireworks show. I pushed back the urge to fan myself.

Damn, it's hot in here!

"Conrad will skin you alive if you bother me, just so you know."

"It would be worth it, belle."

Dammit, why do my hands shake every time he says that!

"Thanatos, leave. I have work to do- and so do you, for that matter..."

A loud sigh escaped from between his delicious lips and slowly he stood back up to hover over me like a giant. I shrunk back into the couch to catch my breath; surprised that I got out of this one with my dignity intact.

"Kiss goodbye?"

"When pigs fly..."

"Worth a shot."

I rolled my eyes as he winked and turned to leave- swaying his hips more than necessary. I sighed as soon as he left the sunny study; my hand automatically coming up to my face to fan it with cold air. I felt like I was over-heating, but at the same time I didn't want to recover.

A cold shower wouldn't be a bad idea right about now...

So that worked out surprisingly well. He was getting better at accepting rejection- or just learning to be more patient...

I dropped my eyes back down to the book on my lap.
Right, time to focus.

'When exercising control over the element of fire, it is of paramount importance to remember to direct and control the flow with your fingertips. Unlike with Earth which is palm-centred, or energy-currents, which are index finger and middle finger allied.'

I extended my hand out and wiggled my fingers slowly. It's almost ridiculous thinking fire could erupt from them with the snap of a finger. I'd tried it for the first time yesterday with Conrad's help and guidance, but my flames were small and weak.

Conrad tried to explain to me that fire and water were much more related to emotions than air or earth, and that perhaps if I thought of something I loved with a passion- it would help. Unfortunately, it didn't.

It only made me sad to think of my parent and my friends who were so far away, which merely quelled the fire.

I asked Conrad if anger would help, but he only shook his head; "Anger is never a good idea when working with fire. It's easily misdirected or spins out of control. You're not ready yet to use that kind of essence."

I merely nodded and tried again.

Today, though- I had an idea. Perhaps a different kind of passion would help me? A passion I only thought about in the bathtub, or when I was alone at night with my thoughts.

Conrad wouldn't be too happy to know that, but if it meant mastering fire, I wouldn't mind. It's not like thinking about Thanatos touching me, kissing me, licking me was a hard thing to do...

No, I definitely wouldn't tell Conrad the secret behind my sudden precision.

"Good morning, Aurora!"

I dropped my hand and smiled up at the approaching brunette. It was Samaria- Conrad's assistant and secretary. Over the past couple of weeks I'd gotten used to her bright smile and cheery disposition. She was nice to have around- especially when Alexus was in one of her moods, but there was one little thing I didn't particularly like about Samaria- she had a huge crush on Thanatos.

And when I say huge- I mean colossal.

"And a good morning to you."

"I see you're already studying! You're so dedicated, gosh! Wish I could get things done like you..."

I laughed and leaned back into the soft cushions; "At least you have a social life! I haven't been out in ages!"

"Well, we could always trade? I wouldn't mind living with the Greek god of sex-appeal."

She winked and giggled like a school girl. I pursed my lips and chuckled dryly; "Yes, well he's a bit much to handle. You know how he is."

Samaria had known Thanatos for about five years already- she wouldn't let me forget it- so she'd seen all of his moody tantrums and sarcastic episodes.
And she still wanted him to bang her brains out.

Understandable, except when considering he's also threatened to kill multiple students in front of her.

Now that makes me doubt her morals a little.

I'm one to talk...

"Merda! Was he here? Did I miss him? Damn!" Samaria exclaimed in her Italian accent; her eyes popping up and down the study, as if hoping Thanatos would jump out and shout- 'Surprise!'

"You just missed him, sorry. He's off somewhere doing what he does best- dealing out death. Just your typical Wednesday."

"Ah, cazzo! I was hoping I could ask him a question about this spell I'm developing."

Part-time Samaria was a researcher for the academy. She mainly focused on blood magic or darker forms, which is why Thanatos always had to answer her endless questions on movement, structure and everything else she could think of to keep his attention on her.

I only shook my head and smiled. "I'm sure Conrad will be able to help you."

She knew that very well, she just didn't want his help.

"Yeah, I suppose. Alba, would you mind helping me move these boxes to the foyer? I need to do some spring cleaning before Conrad turns this place into a rat-haven."

I laughed and stood up from the couch; "Wait, did you just call me Alba? What does that mean?"

"Oh! Scusa, I meant no disrespect. It's only Italian for 'dawn'."

"'Dawn'? Oh, because my name means 'dawn'? That's sweet, I like it!"

She giggled and swung her arm around my shoulders; "Good! It suits you!"

"Thanks! Anything in Italian sounds good to me!"

We walked towards the corner where all the brown boxes full of old folders and files were stacked.

"You're half Italian, right?" Samaria asked as she handed me a pack of files.

"Yeah, on my father's side. My mother's German."

"Makes sense! You're so cool and hot at the same time!"

I laughed as she handed me a box. I placed it onto the trolley she'd pushed over.

"I actually have family in Rome. I should go visit sometime."

"Roma is beautiful this time of the year, have you been before?"

"A couple of times. It's incredible!" I smiled at the memory of visiting my grandparents. It's been quite some time since I'd seen them... "Where does your family live?"

"I'm originally from Milan, but we moved to Florence when I was young. I enjoy it here in the countryside more though; it's quiet and calming."

We stacked the boxes on the trolley- careful not to topple them over.

"I feel the same... The city makes me feel claustrophobic. I miss the beach, though. I've never been away from the ocean for this long."

"Then we should go sometime! During the holidays we'll make a plan!"

I smiled at her; "I'm holding you to that!"

She winked and crossed her fingers with a laugh. I looked down at the remaining boxes as she pushed the cart towards the door. I skimmed through the folders in one of the boxes. They were old student profiles that needed to be filed and sorted.

The musty smell of dusty paper filled my nose; "Samaria... That's a beautiful name. What does it mean?"

I waited for her reply.

She was quiet.

Perhaps she got sidetracked...

"Samaria?"

I turned around, my eyes still glued to the folder in my hands. I heard a panicky mumbling noise and my eyes shot up.

Samaria was being held by something that I could only describe as a walking corpse.

A shot of panic swept through me as I caught the sight of a sharp blade at the base of her throat; her mouth was covered by a withering, gray hand.

I dropped the file.

"Finis venit."

Translations

Vous etes si belle -'You are so beautiful.'

Tu m'excites. J'ai envie de toi -'You excite me. I want you.'

Mon ange - my angel

Scusa - Sorry

Alba - Dawn

Merda - Shit

Cazzo - Fuck

Finis venit - The end has come

Also- some amazing fan-art from SnowWhiteGirlInRed :D 
Love sharing this with you all!

http://snowwhitegirl.tumblr.com/post/153416457417/thanatos-the-hot-greek-god-of-death-dedicated-to

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 61.8K 66
(Book 3 in the #dawnseries) *COMPLETED* The time for the ascension is near... After months of tireless training, a handful of harrowing experiences a...
13.6K 1.4K 33
WATTYS 2023 SHORTLIST Cara, a troubled college dropout, finds herself slowly falling for a handsome stranger - who turns out to be Death incarnate. B...
864 177 57
THEY CALL HIM RECKLESS That was an understatement. Sebastian was the most attractive, dangerous, horrifying man in the entire state of Washington. He...
228K 12.2K 87
This is Book 2. Read Hades' Daughter before this one, if you haven't already. Scarlett's short time on earth has been eventful, to say the least, bu...