A Thousand Encounters

By LettingYouIn

He, Disciplined! She, a beautiful chaos! He, Stalwart! She, a wanderer! He, a soldier! Sh... More

Introduction
Chapter-1
Chapter-2
Chapter-3
Chapter-4
Chapter-5
Chapter-6
Chapter-7
Chapter-8
Chapter-9
Chapter-10
Chapter-11
Chapter-12
Chapter-13
Chapter-14
Chapter-15
Chapter-16
Chapter-17
Chapter-18
Chapter-19
Chapter-20
Chapter-22
Chapter-23
Chapter-24
Chapter- 25
Chapter-26
Chapter-27
Chapter-28
Chapter-29
Chapter-30
Chapter-31
Chapter-32
Chapter-33
Chapter-34
Chapter-35
Chapter-36
Chapter-37
Chapter-38
Chapter-39
Chapter-40
Chapter-41
Chapter-42
Chapter-43
Chapter-44
Chapter-45
Chapter-46
Chapter-47
Chapter- 48
Chapter-49
Chapter-50
Chapter-51
Chapter-52
Chapter-53
Chapter-54
Chapter-55
Hola
Chapter-56
Hello there!!
Chapter-57
Chapter-58
Chapter-59
Chapter - 60
Chapter- 61
Chapter-62
Chapter-63
Chapter-64
Chapter - 65
Chapter-66
Chapter-67
Author's Note

Chapter-21

5.3K 484 56
By LettingYouIn

Her scent teasing his nostrils, Manik breathed deep once again as their car took final turn towards the great hall. Nandini breathed on windowpane to turn it all white with steam as a sigh escaped her throat seeing the gorgeous light adorning the building. Entire town hall was bathed in white lights and tinge of snowy winter made it look milky. Her pores aroused thinking about the cold outside. She immediately regretted her decision to carry a gown in such chilly weather.

On the other hand, handsome man in coat was all sweaty thinking about all the social drama going to happen in ball. Seeing her and then main door, it was a possible contingency that he was going to take most beautiful girl in middle of extremely attractive men. He felt an unjust urge to turn the car around and leave with her to the remotest area where they would probably choke each other to death by constant fights.

"I can't wait for it," Nandini excited like a kid getting utterly impatient to be part of one of most fancy events.

"And here I can't wait for it to get over," He murmured only to go inaudible to an extremely excited Nandini.

He stepped down the car and walked to other end to open the door for her. She seemed to be taking all the chivalry as perk tonight as Nandini Murthy was finally behaving like a delicate girl waiting for her date to treat her with all the care.

"Not bad, Malhotra," She teased as she stepped out and he closed the door behind. Giving the key to the valet, he took a deep breath gathering all the courage to walk down that carpet with his mad lady beside him. Did he just say his?

Nandini sighed again as she silently screeched about the vibe of place. It was a grand door adorned with white flowers and white lights, handsome uniform men guarding it with worth drooling faces of theirs while couples walked inside holding hands; she couldn't wait anymore. How she always wanted to attend at least one army ball since she had turned all young and wild.

"What are we waiting for?" She nudged him as he looked across the lane to see any sign of Harshad.

"I think we should wait till we see someone we know," He suggested still busy at finding Harshad.

"You are one weird piece," Nandini remarked narrowing her eyes trying to understand the man standing beside her.

"It's a couple entry, not group entry," She added while he just tried to look acquainted with the detail.

"I know," He said straightening his coat trying to look in charge of what he was thinking.

A couple passed by them chirping aloud leaving them all baffled about how they both were behaving. They were chirping but it was some kind of noisy banter.

Guy slid his arm across girl's waist and she covered the gap by holding his other hand, they both didn't mean to gawk that but then they just did.

"That's my senior," Manik stated as matter of fact, "He is quite a player."

"You are impossible, Manik," Nandini grumbled and stomped ahead leaving him more perplexed.

He looked at her moving figure like a candy deprived kid and then ran behind her trying to stop the mad lady from violating the protocol.

Protocol!
Well reminded. He rubbed his forehead in tension as he pulled Nandini away from entrance and dragged in a bushy corner.

"Are you mad?" She whined.

"Are you mad?" He repeated trying not to be loud.

"It's a military ball and that means you cannot just walk in alone," He stated without realizing how he had almost pressed her to the flowery hoarding.

"What should I do when I have a scared partner?" She taunted and he seemed to be taking offence.

"What did you call me?" He asked bathed in all shades of angry yet so confused.

"You are basically afraid of going in with me," She accused pointing her finger at his giant contour.

"I am not afraid of anything," He replied holding both of hers arms and pasting her in pastel wall.

"You are such a crybaby," She commented seeing his almost miffed face.

"Still better than you," He replied sharply and she started to wiggle under his grip.

"If you have forgotten, I am not the kind of girl you army men can bully," She dared.

"We anyway don't bully girls but what to do if girl is not a girl but a wild cat," He stated and she huffed in anger. Flaring her nose to the shade of red, she shot some daggers at him. Daggers were drawn at a very gorgeous entrance of very fancy event; anybody could wonder who had invited those two idiots there.

"Fine then," She jerked him away, "I will find another date. I am sure men would still ditch their dates just to be with me."

She completed saying that he looked horrified. She walked past him hitting his arm hard and he tried to come up with some icepack to her fumed nerves.

"Wait," He shouted and she halted in her place still looking away.

Her naked back was decorated with flower petals and that was when he realized it was stupid to mess with her when she was looking that ravishing. Did he say ravishing? He shook his head and walked to her.

"WHAT?" She growled waiting for him to utter something as she folded her arms across her chest.

"There is something on your ba..back," He answered nervously.

Nandini started to roll under her skin making her muscles do dance as she heard that.

"Is it some kind of worm or insect?" She asked horrified.

Manik was too busy looking at her decorated back that he didn't answer.

"Who pushes a girl into flowery mess, you idiot," She nagged while trying to reach her back with hands.

"SPEAK UP," She commanded and he came out of daze. He was sure he had woken up on wrong side of bed as this day was utterly weird. He was feeling pulled by the view when insects she was talking about were creeping inside his stomach.

"No, those are not worms," He answer trying to map her back with his hands without touching it.

"What it is then?" She asked panicked.

"Petals," He answered as if disgusted.

"Remove them before I kill you for making me overreact," She commanded and he just hummed.

Touching one of them with his nail tip, he tried to separate it from her milky skin. Stubborn petal, it had seemed to develop glue there.

"Manik, take it off," She huffed in frustration.

"Wait, Wait," He assured, "I am doing."

Looking around at ground, he found a wooden stick. Picking it up, he tried to peel off that plastered petal.

"Ouch," She hissed as that scratchy material scratched her skin.

"What was that?" She asked, "Are you scratching my back?"

"Nooooooooo," He answered immediately.

"It was stick, not me," He justified.

"What are you doing with a stick?" She asked bewildered and turned around to see him holding a tiny stick.

He dropped it as next thing and raised his hands in surrender.

"I was just trying to help," He said innocently.

She smirked seeing him horrified and then pressed her lips trying not to laugh.

Walking towards him, she stood right in line of his nose. It was good to match his height for a change, he looked even funnier. His hands still were thrown in air as sign of surrender while she moved dangerously close to him. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she could hear him skipping beats. He gulped hard as she whispered something in his ear which he surely didn't listen. How could he? She was so close that he had lost his senses.

"Remove it now," She whispered again and he hummed in response which sounded more of shock than reply.

"With your hands," She added and he brought his hands down.

"With hands?" He asked innocently still dazed.

"With hands, Manik," She affirmed and he seemed to be frozen in sand of self created anxiety.

She traced his neck with her nail while he gulped harder just to remain still and not to collapse on ground. Nandini was having tough time controlling her chuckles at his epic condition. When she thought he was getting annoying, he popped up with his ever so entertaining personality again. He didn't need efforts, he was naturally funny.

Manik peeked over her shoulder to see her back. He mentally cursed those petals for being so stubborn. It was them who had left him in such a spot. His hands moved to do the assigned task. He was certainly not that coward that he couldn't even touch a bare back, what if his heartbeats were crazily running. His trembling hands met her cold skin. Some of silent chuckles died down, every action has a reaction after all. It wasn't funny anymore to Nandini, it was strangely awkward as his cold fingers brushed against her skin. It felt like knotting as if her insides were tangling up in some strange sensations. It didn't feel funny but extremely intense. Her grip on his coat tightened as he breathed on her shoulder. Who was nervous now?

"What is happening here?"

Manik and Nandini jumped in their places as a masculine voice interrupted the awkward session.

"We are dead," Manik murmured still holding a flower petal in hand as he saw Lieutenant Kalra standing there with his ever so irritating smirk.

Panting Manik, flushed Nandini; it was mayhem. Manik shook his head continuously denying all the upcoming accusations which would ruin his reputation. Lt Kalra hated him and that was a fact. There was no escape.

"So that was your idea of ball, Cadet?" Lt drew the dagger.

"Noo, Sir. It's not what it looks like," Manik clarified nervously.

"What it looks like?" Nandini barged in folding her arms across her chest.

"Lady, stay out of it," Lt warned.

"Exactly, Stay out of it," Nandini retorted sternly.

"You must be joking. This is my academy. He is my cadet and you don't know whom you are talking to," Lt snapped. Manik elbowed Nandini to shut up but she just jerked him away.

"And you don't know whom you are messing with," Nandini stated confidently.

"Huh huh Hahahha Hahahaha," Lt's laugh went hysterical while Manik turned bluer, Nandini redder.

"Tell me you are Brigadier's daughter and I would believe it," Lt mocked.

"Huh hu Haha Hahahahaha," It was Nandini this time mimicking Lt Kalra where Manik gaped her in disbelief.

"It's even better. I am his granddaughter," Nandini informed while Lt looked in denial.

"I am his son then," Lt mocked and laughed again.

"You can never be, you nosy person," Nandini snapped pointing her finger at Lt's nose.

"What are you doing?" Manik asked purring in fear.

"Put your finger on him next time and I would make sure you have a meeting with Brigadier Murthy," Nandini threatened.

Colors from Kalra's face flew away listening to the name and it was sheer fear afterwards. If Kalra was ridiculous, Daadu was hysterical. Manik pinched his lips hard trying not to laugh or cry.

"Brigadier Murthy," Lt murmured to himself realizing how fun was turning into horror.

"If my wife wasn't waiting...ermmm..I would have taught you a lesson," Lt excused himself and ran away.

Nandini looked at relieved Manik who had his hands of his waist trying to loosen his stomach muscles, and mouth exhaling some white steam; she burst into laughter seeing that hilarious site.

"You never get old," She said in between her chuckles.

"You are still my entertainment package," She added while he just straightened himself to look cool about everything.

Charming couples passed by them when Manik was still explaining her how she would walk ahead of him when they see a 'receiving line'. Receiving line is a tradition in military ball where chain of command of your service partner would be standing and he or she introduces you to them. Though, infants could skip the custom but still Manik always wanted to be prepared.

"DO NOT SCREW IT, Nandini," Manik told her for nth time before he could actually let her walk ahead.

"We are skipping it but.." He again started but Nandini interrupted.

"But if they call you, I would walk ahead of you and you would introduce me while I would just shake hands sweetly with a plastic smile so that your officers can feel very good about me," She completed in one breath and he sighed.

"Yes," He uttered while she frowned.

"Now please can we get in so that I don't die here due to cold," She pleaded and he nodded.

Nandini slid her arm across his elbow and he started to walk her through main door. Finally they were entering the annual ball. Vibe was infectious.

Manik smiled to his seniors who gave him an impressed look while Nandini walked carefully not to look too desperate to enter the hall. Manik dragged her a bit away when one of his seniors wanted to enter first. Nandini glared him while he just tried to make her understand that they had to give them a way.

Doorman checked Manik's name on list and asked them to join the party. Nandini looked mesmerized with the décor while Manik looked traumatized with kind of activity in area. It was too warm and vibrant.

"This is beautiful," Nandini murmured while Manik felt his stance going even straighter to avoid every scrutiny from seniors.

"Nice date," One of his friends whispered in his ear as he passed by. Manik smiled meekly and examined Nandini from tip to toe. Why she had to wear backless dress when she was already so irresistible for men? He shook his head unable to cut the agony of having multiple eyes on his girl. Did he say his girl? He meant his date.

They were in a grand lobby where on one side people were standing in line, Nandini assumed it to be famous 'Receiving line' and on other hand waiters were standing with drinks in tray. Right in front of them was grand staircase decorated with golden and white flowers. Yellow light in lobby made it all look regal. Nandini was so intrigued with the arrangement. She wanted to break free and explore the place but alas, Manik would kill her for doing that because according to him, he is going to get judged today on how well she behaved. She would have screwed him in no second but again she knew honor meant everything to these uniform men.

Another senior patted Manik's shoulder and that was kind of weird as none of them ever liked the serious Manik. He wondered how come he was any of their interest today. Nandini gave them all sweet smile as asked by Manik. She was certainly having a pain in her jaw with hat much of sugar and stretch.

Manik scanned the sultry bridge of eyes which was reaching Nandini, he knew now why he was all of sudden important for seniors. He cursed them under his breath and cursed his friends as well for not being there.

"Now stop smiling," Manik snapped at Nandini in low voice.

"What's wrong with you?" She asked baffled.

"What's need of smiling so sweet to everyone?" He nagged.

"Only you told me to do that, you idiot," She reminded.

"Do not smile to my seniors," He commanded.

"Are you jealous?" She asked chuckling a bit.

"No, I am not," He said looking away.

They walked further and Manik lead Nandini towards other side where entry didn't have to go through 'Receiving line'. Butlers wished them while they walked like a proper couple. They were getting through it and just then they heard a familiar voice calling.

"Manik,"

They both looked at the source and saw Colonel Singh signaling them to join. Manik shook his head in despair while Nandini couldn't control her mocking smile. He was dreading the receiving line and now he had to go through the custom. Chain of command had few high ranked officer and amidst of them were two smiling known faces. Nandini smiled wide to Daadu while he returned the warm gesture.

"Do as I said," Manik reminded her one last while she huffed in irritation.

Nandini walked in front of Manik as they started to line up for little greet and meet.

Announcer announced Manik's name for basic introduction while Nandini walked with a gentle smile meeting each and every officer in chain-of-command.

"Meet Colonel Sharma," Manik introduced her to one of senior officers of regiment as she softly shook hands with him.

"And she is Nandini," Manik closed the introduction part.

"Very pretty lady," Colonel complimented while Daadu peeked out of line to see his granddaughter with a proud smile.

"Lucky boy," He added while Nandini bit her lip trying not to look nervous because this official meet and greet was certainly not her cup of tea.

They moved further and repeated the same custom with each of officer.

"Daaadddduuu," Nandini screeched in relief as they walked to Brigadier Murthy who was one of guests for the night.

"You look beautiful," He complimented kissing her temple.

"Manik, my boy," He elated seeing an utterly tight Manik. Well tight might not be appropriate word but he did look like air-sucked creature.

"You look handsome," Daadu complimented while Manik just blushed. Only he could blush on such a simple compliment.

Nandini greeted Colonel Singh and that was end of that fancy 'Receiving line'. They both sighed in relief as they walked past that thick aired line. They were through it. Both looked at each other with a grin and then burst out laughing.

"FINALLY," Nandini exclaimed in elation climbing up the giant staircase.

"Yes, Finally," Manik reverted her elation lowly.

"This is mad stuff," She said twirling on the stairs.

"Don't do that," He warned while she took another step hastily.

They both reached great hall and doormen opened the door for them.

Music touched their ears as door opened; vibe touched their pores as hot struck them. It was such a chirpy warm gathering inside. Nandini rubbed her palms in glee seeing the gorgeous setting. Cocktail corner, fine dining tables, dance floor and what not; she was going to have one heck of night. Manik tucked his hands in pockets of his pant while she crazily smiled seeing the hall. She swirled, twirled and jumped a bit and he smiled knowing how she was loving her dress along with regal idea of ball.

"Let's go," She said clutching his arm and dragging him in middle of elite crowd.

They wandered around meeting people and greeting them. Manik scanned the hall to spot his friends but it was a mad gathering. Almost every cadet was looking same in suit.

"Nandini," Mrs Singh called from her table and they walked to her to meet her. Leaving Nandini with her, Manik excused himself to find Harshad.

"He must be in some corner," He murmured to himself and finally found him near bar having a drink with some girl.

"Manik," Harshad said seeing Manik approaching him.

"Where the hell did you disappear?" He asked while Manik reached him.

"I thought you ran away," Harshad quipped.

"I went to pick up Nandini," Manik informed and ordered the drink.

"Where's your date by the way?" Harshad asked while Manik gulped the little shot.

"Would anybody introduce me to pretty boy?" Girl besides Harshad nagged.

"Oh yes," Harshad said and brought her in front of him holding her hand.

"Meet Veronica," Harshad introduced her to Manik, "And he is my buddy Manik."

Manik waved her a hello while she didn't seem to take her eyes off his face.

"Nice to meet you," She said and planted a soft kiss on Manik's cheek. Manik almost jumped out of his stool and glared Harshad. Harshad was busy somewhere else.

"Wow," Harshad exclaimed and Manik looked in direction of his amusement.

"She looks hot," Harshad complimented seeing a lost Nandini.

Manik in no second walked to Nandini and dragged her away from sight of Harshad and Veronica.

"What are you doing?" Nandini complained.

"Didn't I tell you to sit with Mrs Singh?" He asked.

"Who leaves his date with others on a ball night?" Nandini groaned.

"I wanna have a drink. Lemme go," She said and started to leave.

"We cannot go there," He announced dragging her back. Her back collided with his torso and she glared him sideway.

"Harshad's girlfriend is mad," He told to reduce her virtual daggers.

"She just kissed me here," He confessed pointing at his cheek. Nandini anger was gone even before it could stay. His cute confession made her laugh but she controlled. She turned around and saw his cheek. It had a light red mark on it.

"So you are afraid of her," She asked wiping that mark off his cheek.

"No, I am not," He answered immediately.

"It's just I thought you should know," He uttered. Nandini's eyes shot to meet his. He was looking somewhere else but he had managed to stir her with strange confession. She didn't know why but it made her heart fluctuate.

"Why should I know?" She played it further.

"I mean I cannot do anything if some girl kisses you," She said faking a casual face.

His eyes met hers and she looked away pretending to wipe the mark off his face.

"It means you would okay if some girl kisses me?" he asked a bit sternly.

"Yeaaahhhhh," She said casually.

He took her hand off his face and wiped the remains himself.

"FINE," He stated with brave face.

She pressed her lips seeing him annoyed and pretending to be cool.

"Let's go and get a drink then," He said confidently and held her hand to cut the crowd. It was 'Cocktail hour' and that meant almost everyone was gathered near bar.

They reached where Harshad and Veronica were. Harshad greeted Nandini warmly where veronica just looked unpleased with her presence. Nandini looked at her cute date who was visibly offended with something.

"What happened to you?" Harshad asked Manik whispering. Nandini got busy ordering a drink for herself.

Manik just nodded in nothing and Harshad sighed.

"Don't worry I won't hit on her," Harshad whispered further and smiled.

Manik looked at him with little elation but then covered it with stern face.

"I don't care," He stated and Harshad chuckled.

Minutes passed and Manik was still very much sulking over some unknown string which was not tuned well. Nandini was gelling well with Harshad who for a change wasn't hitting on a girl but having a fun conversation while his girlfriend was finding excuses to get close to Manik.

That specific corner where they were settled turned into a crowd soon because almost every forth boy wanted to greet Nandini. Manik's annoyance had no bar. He was getting madder by each second but now he couldn't show. Nandini by then was feeling low because she didn't think it was going to be boring event. Almost same gesture by every other person, she was pissed off and Manik wasn't helping either. He was sulking and he thought he was not showing it but in real he was oozing annoyance.

Nandini greeted another of his senior sweetly and that turned into something a bit unexpected. That guy slightly brushed her cheek with his lips while Nandini couldn't apprehend what happened. She backed down and a glass fell off the counter.

"Excuse me," She said with apparent displeasure while that guy looked embarrassed.

She looked at Manik but he was busy glaring his senior.

"I am sorry," His senior murmured to Nandini and she simply decided to let it go. It wasn't something to make scene about.

She looked at Manik furiously when his senior went away. He was already looking at her with unknown ire in his eyes. She clenched her teeth to show her displeasure over his passiveness. In next moment, she was getting dragged by him to somewhere unknown. He literally dragged her through crowd and walked to aloof corner.

She jerked away his hand and panted leaning on wall behind.

"I have a problem," he said coming towards her.

"Why didn't you say anything?" She asked. She was not offended by that guy's action but surely was upset over Manik's passive reaction.

"I have a problem if a guy kisses you," He said as next thing closing her between wall and him.

"I don't know why but I do have," He said helplessly.

"I felt like punching that guy," He added while she looked at him curiously.

"I felt like hitting my senior," He added further while his thumb rubbed the area on her cheek.

He was burning hot. He was angry and that made Nandini calm down a little. It was beyond logic how she felt better at both his confessions today.

"Then why didn't you?" She asked in mere whisper.

"I would now," He said and backed off. He started to walk away determined.

Nandini collected her scattered senses and held his hand to bring him back.

"You don't need to," She said calming him down.

"He is your senior," She added lowly.

They both stood there quietly and silence was havoc-creating. There was so much internal noise. There were drum-rolls inside with bit of not tuned notes.

She looked at him, he at her. Both didn't know why weren't moving or saying something.

"Why won't you mind if a girl kisses me?" he asked pasting her to nearby wall. She clutched her dress in fists hearing his desperate query. He was pleading. What had happened to her funny boy? Why he was so damn stirring out of sudden? She breathed quickly.

"Because...." She said finding some answer. She had teased him earlier but she didn't know answer to that irrelevant question nudged him so much.

"Because...you would tell me every time," She completed her sentence with a relief.

She heard him chuckle and looked up to see him laughing.

"I didn't like it when you said you would be okay with it," He stated losing that smile.

Nandini shook her head smiling hopelessly. She couldn't believe at man standing in front of her. He was trembling when he had to touch her back; he was trembling again when another guy kissed her on cheek. Only difference was second time he was angry. Now the same man was stuck on a topic of kiss.

"You know you are only piece, right?" She asked giggling. He looked down blushing.

"I am thirsty and bored, Malhotra," She complained to end the topic.

"Entertain your date," She demanded and he looked interested.

Holding her hand, he dragged her back towards cocktail corner. It was still few minutes before dinner. He could make her feel better.

__________________

Unedited*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

201K 19.2K 57
Book #1 of the Stars Series. ~She taught him to speak out loud He taught her to hear the silence~ ✨ "Do you remember, What the hell did you do Miss...
11.8K 98 20
Stories about the misadventures of Harry and yn and other characters in between!!!!! Some with fluff, others angst or grim. But enjoy anyway!!!
113K 3.2K 42
what you thought was love...isn't love at all. This is... Naomi's story
33.9K 2.2K 20
~Completed~ "Love knows no battlefield when it finds a soldier's heart." Meera Thapar opens her diary after ages, reminiscing all the old times. Afte...