The Demon Lover

By raamzzz

Historical Romance When Kate Collison, to help her ailing father, completes his portrait of the powerful Baro... More

1.

502 2 0
By raamzzz

The Demon Lover

By

Victoria Holt

1.
It was a hot June day when I dis­co­ve­red my fat­her's sec­ret which was to chan­ge the who­le co­ur­se of my li­fe, as well as his. I shall ne­ver for­get the hor­ror that grip­ped me. The sun was bril­li­ant, mer­ci­less, it se­emed. It had be­en the hot­test June for ye­ars. I sat the­re watc­hing him. He se­emed to ha­ve grown ten ye­ars ol­der in the spa­ce of a few mi­nu­tes, and as he tur­ned his eyes to me I saw the des­pa­ir in them, the sud­den re­le­asing of pre­ten­ce. He knew that he co­uld no lon­ger hi­de this tra­gedy from me.
It was ine­vi­tab­le that I sho­uld be the one to dis­co­ver it. I had al­ways be­en clo­ser to him than an­yo­ne el­se even my mot­her when she had be­en ali­ve. I un­ders­to­od him in all his mo­ods. I knew the exul­ta­ti­on of the cre­ati­ve ar­tist, the stri­ving, the frust­ra­ti­ons. The man I knew in this stu­dio was dif­fe­rent from the gent­le, rat­her un­comp­li­ca­ted hu­man be­ing he be­ca­me out­si­de it. Of co­ur­se it was the stu­dio which cla­imed the gre­ater part of him. It was his li­fe. He had be­en bro­ught up to it. From the age of fi­ve, in this very ho­use -which had be­en the ho­me of the Col­li­sons for a hund­red ye­ars he had co­me to the stu­dio to watch his own fat­her work. The­re was a story in the fa­mily that when he was fo­ur ye­ars old they had tho­ught he was lost and his nur­se had fo­und him he­re pa­in­ting on a pi­ece of vel­lum with one of his fat­her's fi­nest sab­le brus­hes.
Collison was a na­me in the art world. It was al­ways as­so­ci­ated with the pa­in­ting of mi­ni­atu­res, and the­re co­uld not be a col­lec­ti­on of any no­te in Euro­pe which did not con­ta­in at le­ast one Col­li­son.
The pa­in­ting of mi­ni­atu­res was a tra­di­ti­on in our fa­mily. My fat­her had sa­id that it was a ta­lent which was pas­sed down thro­ugh the ge­ne­ra­ti­ons and to be­co­me a gre­at pa­in­ter one must be­gin in one's crad­le. So it had be­en with the Col­li­sons. They had be­en pa­in­ting mi­ni­atu­res sin­ce the se­ven­te­enth cen­tury. Our an­ces­tor had be­en a pu­pil of Isa­ac Oli­ver, who in his turn had be­en a pu­pil of no­ne ot­her than the fa­mo­us Eli­za­bet­han mi­ni­atu­rist Ni­co­las Hil­li­ard.
Until this ge­ne­ra­ti­on the­re had al­ways be­en a son to fol­low his fat­her and carry on not only the tra­di­ti­on but the na­me. My fat­her had fa­iled in this; and all he had be­en ab­le to pro­du­ce was a da­ugh­ter- myself.
It must ha­ve be­en a gre­at di­sap­po­int­ment to him, alt­ho­ugh he ne­ver men­ti­oned it. He was a very gent­le man out­si­de the stu­dio, as I ha­ve sa­id, and was al­ways cons­ci­o­us of ot­her pe­op­le's fe­elings; he was rat­her slow of spe­ech be­ca­use he we­ig­hed his words be­fo­re ut­te­ring them and con­si­de­red the ef­fect they wo­uld ha­ve on ot­hers. It was dif­fe­rent when he wor­ked. Then he was comp­le­tely pos­ses­sed; he for­got me­al ti­mes, ap­po­int­ments, com­mit­ments of any sort. So­me­ti­mes I tho­ught he wor­ked fe­ve­rishly be­ca­use he be­li­eved he was go­ing to be the last of the Col­li­sons. Now he was be­gin­ning to re­ali­ze that this might not be so, for I too had dis­co­ve­red the fas­ci­na­ti­on of the brush, the vel­lum and the ivory. I was te­ac­hing myself to carry on the fa­mily tra­di­ti­on.
I was go­ing to show my fat­her that a da­ugh­ter was not to be des­pi­sed and co­uld do as well as any son. That was one of the re­asons why I ga­ve myself up to the joy of pa­in­ting. The ot­her far mo­re im­por­tant was be­ca­use, ir­res­pec­ti­ve of my sex, I had in­he­ri­ted the de­si­re to pro­du­ce that int­ri­ca­te lim­ning. I had the ur­ge and I ven­tu­red to think the ta­lent to com­pe­te with any of my an­ces­tors.
My fat­her, at this ti­me, was in his la­te for­ti­es. He lo­oked yo­un­ger be­ca­use of his very cle­ar blue eyes and un­tidy ha­ir. He was tall I had he­ard him cal­led lanky and very thin, which ma­de him se­em a trif­le un­ga­inly. It surp­ri­sed pe­op­le, I think, that from this rat­her clumsy man co­uld co­me tho­se de­li­ca­te mi­ni­atu­res.
His na­me was Ken­dal. The­re had be­en Ken­dals in the fa­mily for ge­ne­ra­ti­ons. Ye­ars ago a girl from the La­ke Dist­rict had mar­ri­ed in­to the fa­mily and the na­me ca­me from her birthp­la­ce. It was a tra­di­ti­on that all the men sho­uld ha­ve na­mes be­gin­ning with K and the let­ters KC. etc­hed in a cor­ner so small that they we­re ba­rely per­cep­tib­le we­re the hal­lmark of tho­se fa­mo­us mi­ni­atu­res. It had ca­used a cer­ta­in amo­unt of con­fu­si­on as to which Col­li­son had exe­cu­ted the pa­in­ting, and it had of­ten be­en ne­ces­sary to work out the da­te from the pe­ri­od and the su­bj­ect.
My fat­her had re­ma­ined un­mar­ri­ed un­til he was thirty. He was the sort of man who was inc­li­ned to thrust asi­de anyt­hing that might dist­ract him from his work. Thus, with mar­ri­age, too, alt­ho­ugh he was well awa­re of his duty rat­her li­ke that of a mo­narch to pro­du­ce the he­ir to carry on the fa­mily tra­di­ti­on.
It was only when he went to the se­at of the Earl of Langs­ton in Glo­uces­ters­hi­re that the de­si­re to marry be­ca­me so­met­hing ot­her than a duty to the fa­mily. He had be­en en­ga­ged by the Earl to pa­int mi­ni­atu­res of the Co­un­tess and her two da­ugh­ters, Lady Jane and Lady Kat­he­ri­ne known as Lady Kitty. He al­ways sa­id that the mi­ni­atu­re of Lady Kitty was the best work he had ever do­ne.
"There was lo­ve in it," he com­men­ted. He was very sen­ti­men­tal.
Well, the out­co­me was ro­man­tic but of co­ur­se the Earl had ot­her ide­as for his da­ugh­ter. He had no ap­pre­ci­ati­on of art; he me­rely wan­ted a Col­li­son mi­ni­atu­re be­ca­use he had he­ard that "This Col­li­son is a go­od man'.
"A Phi­lis­ti­ne," my fat­her had cal­led him. He tho­ught ar­tists we­re ser­vants to be pat­ro­ni­zed by men of we­alth. Mo­re­over, he had ho­pes of a du­ke for his da­ugh­ter.
But it tur­ned out that Lady Kitty was a girl who li­ked to ha­ve her own way and she had fal­len as de­eply in lo­ve with the ar­tist as he had with her. So they elo­ped and Lady Kitty was in­for­med by her ira­te fat­her that the ga­tes of­Langs­ton Cast­le we­re clo­sed to her fo­re­ver mo­re.
Since she had had the folly to be­co­me Kitty Col­li­son, she wo­uld ha­ve no furt­her con­nec­ti­on with The fa­mily of­Langs­ton.
Lady Kitty the­re­upon snap­ped her fin­gers and pre­pa­red for what, to her, must ha­ve be­en the humb­le li­fe at Col­li­son Ho­use.
A ye­ar af­ter the mar­ri­age I ma­de my dra­ma­tic ent­ran­ce in­to the world, ca­using a gre­at de­al of tro­ub­le and cos­ting Lady Kitty her ne­ver very ro­bust he­alth. When she be­ca­me a se­mi-inva­lid and unab­le to be­ar mo­re child­ren, the di­sast­ro­us truth had to be fa­ced: the only one was a girl and it se­emed as tho­ugh that was the end of the Col­li­son li­ne.
Not that I was ever al­lo­wed to fe­el that I was a di­sap­po­int­ment. I dis­co­ve­red it for myself when I le­ar­ned of the fa­mily tra­di­ti­ons and be­ca­me fa­mi­li­ar with the big stu­dio and its enor­mo­us win­dows pla­ced so as to catch the strong and se­arc­hing north light.
I le­ar­ned a gre­at de­al from ser­vants' gos­sip, for I was an avid lis­te­ner and I qu­ickly re­ali­zed that I co­uld le­arn mo­re of what I wan­ted to know thro­ugh them than I ever co­uld by as­king my pa­rents.
"The Langs­tons al­ways had a job get­ting sons. My ni­ece is up the­re in ser­vi­ce with so­me co­usins of the­irs. She says it's a grand pla­ce.
Fifty ser­vants . no less . and that just for the co­untry. Her ladys­hip wasn't me­ant for this sort of li­fe. "
"Do you think she has reg­rets?"
"Oh, I rec­kon. Must do. All them balls and tit­les and things ... Why, she co­uld ha­ve mar­ri­ed a du­ke."
"Yet, he's a true gent­le­man ... I will say that for him."
"Oh yes, I'll grant you that. But he's just a sort of tra­des­man ... sel­ling things. Oh, I know they're pic­tu­res and that's so­me­how sup­po­sed to be dif­fe­rent... but they're still things ... and he's sel­ling them. It ne­ver works ... step­ping out­si­de. Class and all that. And the­re's no son, is the­re? All they've got is that Miss Ka­te."
"She's got her wits abo­ut her, no mis­ta­ke. A bit of a ma­dam, that one."
"Don't re­al­ly ta­ke af­ter eit­her of them."
"Do you know what I rec­kon? He ought to ha­ve mar­ri­ed a strong yo­ung wo­man ... his own class ... A lady, of co­ur­se ... squ­ire's da­ugh­ter or so­met­hing ... He went too high, he did. Then she co­uld ha­ve had a baby every ye­ar till she got this son what co­uld le­arn all abo­ut pa­in­ting.
That's how it ought to ha­ve be­en. It's what you get for mar­rying out of yo­ur class."
"Do you think he minds." "Co­ur­se he minds. He wan­ted a son. And bet­we­en you and me her ladys­hip don't think all that much of this pa­in­ting. Well, if it hadn't be­en for the pa­in­ting he'd ne­ver ha­ve met her, wo­uld he? And who's to say that mightn't ha­ve be­en for the bes;.?"
So I le­ar­ned.
At the ti­me I dis­co­ve­red the sec­ret a ye­ar had pas­sed sin­ce my mot­her had di­ed. That was a gre­at blow to our ho­use­hold. She had be­en very be­a­uti­ful and both my fat­her and I had be­en con­tent to sit and lo­ok at her. She had worn blu­es which matc­hed her eyes and her tea gowns we­re dra­pe­ri­es most be­co­mingly trim­med with la­ce and rib­bons. Be­ca­use she had be­en a se­mi-inva­lid sin­ce my birth, I felt a cer­ta­in res­pon­si­bi­lity for that; but I con­so­led myself that she enj­oyed lying on her so­fa and re­ce­iving pe­op­le, li­ke a qu­e­en at her co­uc­her. She had what she cal­led her 'go­od days'; then she wo­uld play the pi­ano or ar­ran­ge flo­wers and so­me­ti­mes en­ter­ta­in pe­op­le from the ne­igh­bo­ur­ho­od mostly.
There we­re the Far­ring­dons who li­ved in the Ma­nor and ow­ned most of the land ro­und abo­ut, the vi­car and the doc­tor with the­ir fa­mi­li­es.
Everyone was ho­no­ured by an in­vi­ta­ti­on from Lady Kitty, even Lady Far­ring­dors, for so­ci­al sta­tus was a gre­at con­cern ot­hers and alt­ho­ugh the Far­ring­dons we­re rich, Sir Fre­de­rick was only a se­cond-ge­ne­ra­ti­on ba­ro­net and Lady Far­ring­don was so­mew­hat imp­res­sed by the da­ugh­ter of an Earl.
My mot­her ma­de no at­tempt to ma­na­ge the ho­use­hold. | That was all ac­hi­eved by Evie, wit­ho­ut whom our li­ves wo­uld ha­ve be­en a gre­at de­al less com­for­tab­le. Evie had be­en only se­ven­te­en when she ca­me to us.
That was at the ti­me when I was abo­ut a ye­ar old and my mot­her had by that ti­me slip­ped gra­ce­ful­ly in­to in­va­li­dism. Evie was a'dis­tant co­usin of my mot­her's one of that army of po­or re­la­ti­ons which so of­ten exists on the frin­ge of we­althy fa­mi­li­es. So­me dis­tant fe­ma­le mem­ber of that fa­mily had mar­ri­ed be­ne­ath her, which me­ant aga­inst the fa­mily's wis­hes, and so to­ok a le­ap in­to obs­cu­rity. Evie was a bud from one of tho­se branc­hes, but she had for so­me re­ason kept in to­uch and, du­ring fa­mily emer­gen­ci­es, had be­en cal­led upon for help.
She and my mot­her had be­en fond of each ot­her and when the be­a­uti­ful Lady Kitty fo­und that she wo­uld spend a cer­ta­in ti­me of her li­fe rec­li­ning on so­fas it oc­cur­red to her that Evie was just the per­son ne­eded to co­me and ta­ke char­ge.
So Evie ca­me and ne­ver reg­ret­ted it. Nor did we. We de­pen­ded on Evie.
She ma­na­ged the ho­use­hold and the ser­vants, was a com­pa­ni­on and lady's ma­id to my mot­her, an ef­fi­ci­ent ho­use­ke­eper, a mot­her to me and all this whi­le she ma­de su­re that my fat­her was ab­le to work wit­ho­ut dist­rac­ti­on.
So we had Evie. She ar­ran­ged lit­tle par­ti­es for my mot­her and ma­de su­re that everyt­hing went smo­othly when vi­si­tors cal­led at the ho­use abo­ut com­mis­si­ons for my fat­her's work. When he had to go away which he did fa­irly fre­qu­ently he co­uld go, kno­wing that we we­re well lo­oked af­ter.
My mot­her lo­ved to he­ar of my fat­her's ad­ven­tu­res when he re­tur­ned ho­me. She li­ked to think of him as a fa­mo­us pa­in­ter in gre­at de­mand, alt­ho­ugh she was not re­al­ly in­te­res­ted in what he was do­ing. I had se­en her eyes gla­ze over when he was tal­king ent­hu­si­as­ti­cal­ly but / knew what he was tal­king abo­ut, for I had the Col­li­son blo­od in my ve­ins and I was ne­ver hap­pi­er than when I had a fi­ne sab­le brush in my hands and was ma­king tho­se fa­int su­re stro­kes on a pi­ece of ivory or vel­lum.
I was Kat­he­ri­ne too, but cal­led Ka­te to dis­tin­gu­ish me from Kitty. I did not lo­ok in the le­ast li­ke my mot­her or fat­her. I was con­si­de­rably dar­ker than eit­her of them.
"A throw-back to the six­te­enth cen­tury," sa­id my fat­her, who was na­tu­ral­ly an aut­ho­rity on fa­ces.
"Some long-ago Col­li­son must ha­ve lo­oked exactly li­ke you, Ka­te. Tho­se high che­ek­bo­nes and that to­uch of red in yo­ur ha­ir. Yo­ur eyes are tawny too. That co­lo­ur wo­uld be very dif­fi­cult to cap­tu­re. You'd ha­ve to mix pa­ints very ca­re­ful­ly to get it. I ne­ver li­ke that for de­li­ca­te work ... The re­sult can be messy."
I of­ten la­ug­hed at the way his work al­ways se­emed to cre­ep in­to his con­ver­sa­ti­on.
I must ha­ve be­en abo­ut six ye­ars old when I ma­de a vow. It was af­ter I had he­ard the ser­vants tal­king abo­ut my be­ing a girl and a di­sap­po­int­ment to my fat­her.
I went in­to the stu­dio and stan­ding in the gla­re of the light which ca­me thro­ugh the high win­dow, I sa­id: "I am go­ing to be a gre­at pa­in­ter. My mi­ni­atu­res are go­ing to be the best that ha­ve ever be­en known."
And be­ing a very se­ri­o­us child and ha­ving a pas­si­ona­te de­vo­ti­on to my fat­her as well as an in­born know­led­ge that this was what I had be­en born for, I set abo­ut car­rying out my in­ten­ti­on. At first my fat­her had be­en amu­sed, but he had shown me how to stretch vel­lum over a stiff whi­te card and press it bet­we­en she­ets of pa­per, le­aving it un­der a we­ight to be pres­sed.
"The skin is gre­asy," he told me, 'so we ha­ve to do a lit­tle po­un­cing.
Do you know what po­un­cing is? "
I so­on did, and le­ar­ned how to rub the sur­fa­ce with a mix­tu­re of French chalk and pow­de­red pu­mi­ce.
Then he ta­ught me how to use oil, tem­pe­ra and go­u­ac­he. | "But wa­ter-co­lo­urs are the most sa­tis­fac­tory for the smal­lest work," he sa­id.
When I had my first brush I was de­ligh­ted; and I was fil­led with joy when I saw my fat­her's fa­ce af­ter I had pa­in­ted my first mi­ni­atu­re.
He had put his arms ro­und me and held me clo­se to him so that I sho­uld not see the te­ars in his eyes. My fat­her was a very emo­ti­onal man.
He cri­ed: "You've got it, Ka­te. You're one of us."
My mot­her was shown my first ef­fort.
"It's very go­od," she sa­id.
"Oh, Ka­te, are you go­ing to be a ge­ni­us too? And he­re am I... so su­rely not one!"
"You don't ha­ve to be," I told her.
"You just ha­ve to be be­a­uti­ful."
It was a happy ho­me. My fat­her and I grew clo­ser thro­ugh our work, and I spent ho­urs in the stu­dio. I had a go­ver­ness un­til I was se­ven­te­en.
My fat­her did not want me to go away to scho­ol be­ca­use that wo­uld in­ter­rupt the ti­me I spent in the stu­dio.
"To be a gre­at pa­in­ter, you work every day," he sa­id.
"You do not wa­it un­til you fe­el in the mo­od. You do not wa­it un­til you fe­el re­ady to en­ter­ta­in ins­pi­ra­ti­on. You are the­re wa­iting when she de­igns to call."
I un­ders­to­od comp­le­tely. How co­uld I ha­ve bor­ne to be away from the stu­dio? My re­sol­ve to be as gre­at-no gre­ater-than any of my an­ces­tors had sta­yed with me. I knew that I was go­od.
My fat­her of­ten went ab­ro­ad and wo­uld so­me­ti­mes be away for a month or two at a ti­me. He had even vi­si­ted se­ve­ral of the Euro­pe­an co­urts and pa­in­ted mi­ni­atu­res for ro­yalty.
"I sho­uld li­ke to ta­ke you with me, Ka­te," he of­ten sa­id.
"You're as ca­pab­le as I am. But I don't know what they wo­uld think of a wo­man.
They wo­uldn't be­li­eve the work was go­od . it it had be­en do­ne by a mem­ber of the fe­ma­le sex. "
"But su­rely they co­uld see for them­sel­ves."
"People don't al­ways see what the­ir eyes tell them is the­re. They see what they ha­ve ma­de up the­ir minds to see, and I'm af­ra­id they might ma­ke up the­ir minds that so­met­hing do­ne by a wo­man co­uld not pos­sibly be as go­od as that do­ne by a man."
"That's non­sen­se and it ma­kes me angry," I cri­ed.
"They must be fo­ols."
"Many pe­op­le are," sig­hed my fat­her.
We pa­in­ted mi­ni­atu­res for jewel­lers to sell all over the co­untry. I had do­ne many of tho­se. They we­re sig­ned with the ini­ti­als KC.
Everyone sa­id, "That's a Col­li­son." They didn't know, of co­ur­se, that it was the work of Ka­te not Ken­dal Col­li­son.
When I was a child it had so­me­ti­mes se­emed that my mot­her and fat­her in­ha­bi­ted dif­fe­rent worlds. The­re was my fat­her, the ab­sent-min­ded ar­tist who­se work was his li­fe, and my mot­her the be­a­uti­ful and in­te­res­tingly de­li­ca­te hos­tess, who li­ked to ha­ve pe­op­le aro­und her.
One of her gre­atest ple­asu­res was hol­ding co­urt whi­le ad­mi­rers re­vol­ved abo­ut her, so de­ligh­ted to be en­ter­ta­ined by the da­ugh­ter of an Earl even tho­ugh she was me­rely the wi­fe of an ar­tist.
When tea was dis­pen­sed I wo­uld of­ten be the­re to help her en­ter­ta­in her gu­ests. In the eve­nings she so­me­ti­mes ga­ve small din­ner-par­ti­es and pla­yed whist af­ter­wards, or the­re was mu­sic. She her­self pla­yed the pi­ano ex­qu­isi­tely for her gu­ests.
Sometimes she wo­uld be tal­ka­ti­ve and tell me abo­ut her early li­fe in Langs­ton Cast­le. Did she mind le­aving it for what must be a very small ho­use com­pa­red with the cast­le? I as­ked her on­ce.
"No, Ka­te," she ans­we­red.
"Here I am the Qu­e­en. The­re I was just one of the prin­ces­ses- of no re­al im­por­tan­ce. I was just the­re to ma­ke the right mar­ri­age ... which wo­uld be one my fa­mily wan­ted and which I most li­kely did not."
"You must be very happy," I sa­id, 'for you ha­ve the best hus­band an­yo­ne co­uld ha­ve. "
She lo­oked at me qu­iz­zi­cal­ly and sa­id: "You are very fond of yo­ur fat­her, aren't you?"
"I lo­ve you both," I told her truth­ful­ly.
I went to kiss her and she sa­id: "Don't ruf­fle my ha­ir, dar­ling." Then she to­ok my hand and pres­sed it.
"I'm glad you lo­ve him so much. He is mo­re de­ser­ving than I am."
She puz­zled me. But she was al­ways kind and ten­der and re­al­ly ple­ased that I spent so much ti­me with my fat­her. Oh yes, it had be­en an ext­re­mely happy ho­me un­til that day when Evie, ta­king my mot­her's mor­ning cho­co­la­te to her bed­ro­om, fo­und her de­ad.
She had had a cold which had de­ve­lo­ped in­to so­met­hing wor­se. All my li­fe I had he­ard that we had to ta­ke ca­re of my mot­her's he­alth. She had ra­rely go­ne out and when she did it wo­uld be in the car­ri­age only as far as Far­ring­don Hall. Then she wo­uld be hel­ped out of the car­ri­age and al­most car­ri­ed in by the Far­ring­don fo­ot­man.
But be­ca­use she had al­ways be­en de­li­ca­te and De­ath was sup­po­sed to be ho­ve­ring, be­ca­use it had be­en li­ke that for so many ye­ars that it had al­most be­co­me li­ke a mem­ber of the fa­mily . we had tho­ught it wo­uld con­ti­nue to ho­ver. Ins­te­ad of which it had swo­oped down and car­ri­ed her away.
We mis­sed her very much and it was then that I re­ali­zed how much pa­in­ting me­ant to both my fat­her and myself, for alt­ho­ugh we we­re de­so­la­te in our gri­ef, when we we­re in the stu­dio we co­uld for­get for a whi­le, for at such ti­mes the­re was not­hing for eit­her of us but our pa­in­ting.
Evie was very sad. My mot­her had be­en in her spe­ci­al ca­re for so long.
She was at that ti­me thirty-three ye­ars of age and she had gi­ven up se­ven­te­en of tho­se ye­ars to us.
Two ye­ars ear­li­er Evie had be­co­me en­ga­ged to be mar­ri­ed. The news had sent us in­to a flut­ter of dis­may. We wa­ve­red bet­we­en our ple­asu­re in Evie's hap­pi­ness and our cons­ter­na­ti­on in con­temp­la­ting what li­fe wo­uld be li­ke wit­ho­ut her.
There had be­en no im­mi­nent dan­ger as Evie's fi­an­ce was Ta­mes Cal­lum, the cu­ra­te at our vi­ca­ra­ge. He was the sa­me age as Evie and they we­re to be mar­ri­ed as so­on as he ac­qu­ired a li­ving of his own.
My mot­her used to say: "Pray God he ne­ver will. " And then qu­ickly:
"What a sel­fish cre­atu­re I am, Ka­te. I ho­pe you won't grow up to be li­ke me. Ne­ver fe­ar. You won't, you're one of the sturdy ones. But re­al­ly what sho­uld we ... what sho­uld do wit­ho­ut Evie."
She did not ha­ve to fa­ce that prob­lem. When she di­ed the cu­ra­te was still wit­ho­ut a li­ving, so her pra­yers we­re ans­we­red in a way.
Evie tri­ed to con­so­le me.
"You're gro­wing up now, Ka­te," she sa­id.
"You'd so­on find so­me­one el­se."
"There'd be no one li­ke you, Evie. You're ir­rep­la­ce­ab­le."
She smi­led at me and was torn bet­we­en her fe­ars for us and her lon­ging to be mar­ri­ed.
I knew in my he­art that one day Evie wo­uld ha­ve to le­ave us. Chan­ge was in the air-and I did not want chan­ge.
The months pas­sed and still James Cal­lum did not find a li­ving. Evie dec­la­red that she had lit­tle to do sin­ce my mot­her's de­ath and spent ho­urs pre­ser­ving fru­it and ma­king her­bal con­coc­ti­ons as tho­ugh she we­re stoc­king up the ho­use­hold for the ti­me when she was no lon­ger with us.
We set­tled down in­to our da­ily ro­uti­ne. My fat­her re­fu­sed to con­si­der Evie's pos­sib­le de­par­tu­re. He was the sort of man who li­ved from day to day and re­min­ded me of so­me­one cros­sing a tight­ro­pe who gets along be­ca­use he ne­ver lo­oks down at pos­sib­le di­sas­ters in the val­ley be­low.
He go­es on and on, una­wa­re of them, and for this re­ason tra­vels sa­fely ac­ross.
But the­re can co­me a ti­me when so­me im­pas­sab­le obj­ect for­ces a halt and as he is unab­le to go on he must pa­use and con­si­der whe­re he is.
We wor­ked cons­tantly to­get­her in per­fect har­mony in the stu­dio on tho­se days when the light was right. We de­pen­ded on that for we did a gre­at de­al of res­to­ra­ti­on of old ma­nusc­ripts. I now re­gar­ded myself as a fully fled­ged pa­in­ter. I had even ac­com­pa­ni­ed my fat­her to one or two ho­uses whe­re res­to­ra­ti­on work was ne­eded. He al­ways exp­la­ined my pre­sen­ce: "My da­ugh­ter helps me in my work." I know they ima­gi­ned that I pre­pa­red the to­ols of the tra­de, was­hed his brus­hes and lo­oked af­ter his cre­atu­re com­forts. That rank­led. I was pro­ud of my work and mo­re and mo­re he was al­lo­wing me to ta­ke over.
We we­re in the stu­dio one day when I saw that he was hol­ding a mag­nif­ying glass in one hand and his brush in the. ot­her.
I was as­to­nis­hed be­ca­use he had al­ways sa­id: "It is ne­ver go­od to use a mag­nif­ying glass. If you tra­in yo­ur eyes they will do the work for you. A lim­ner has spe­ci­al eyes. He wo­uld not be a lim­ner if he had not."
He saw that I was re­gar­ding him with surp­ri­se and put­ting down the glass, sa­id: "A very de­li­ca­te pi­ece of work. I wan­ted to ma­ke su­re I hadn't mis­cal­cu­la­ted."
It was so­me we­eks la­ter. We had had a ma­nusc­ript sent to us from a re­li­gi­o­us or­der in the north of Eng­land. So­me of the fi­ne dra­wings on the pa­ges had be­co­me fa­int and slightly da­ma­ged, and one of the branc­hes of our work was to res­to­re such ma­nusc­ripts. If they we­re very va­lu­ab­le, which a num­ber of them we­re, da­ting from as far back as the ele­venth cen­tury, my fat­her wo­uld ha­ve to go to the mo­nas­tery to do the work on the spot, but the­re we­re oc­ca­si­ons when the less va­lu­ab­le ones co­uld be bro­ught to us. I had do­ne a gre­at de­al of work on the­se re­cently, which was my fat­her's way of tel­ling me that I was now a pa­in­ter of skill. If my work was not so­od eno­ugh it was easy to dis­card a pi­ece of vel­lum or ivory, but only a su­re hand co­uld be al­lo­wed to to­uch the­se pri­ce­less ma­nusc­ripts.
On that June day my fat­her had the ma­nusc­ript be­fo­re him and was trying to get the ne­ces­sary sha­de of red. It was ne­ver easy, for this had to match the red pig­ment cal­led mi­ni­um which had be­en used long ago and was in fact the very word from which the na­me mi­ni­atu­re had be­en de­ri­ved.
I watc­hed him, his brush ho­ve­ring over the small pa­let­te. Then he put it down with a help­les­sness which as­to­nis­hed me.
I went over to him and sa­id: "Is anyt­hing wrong?"
He did not ans­wer me but le­aned for­ward and co­ve­red his fa­ce with his hands.
That was a frigh­te­ning mo­ment with the bla­zing sun out­si­de and the strong light fal­ling on the an­ci­ent ma­nusc­ript and the sud­den know­led­ge that so­met­hing ter­rib­le was abo­ut to hap­pen.
I bent over him and la­id my hand on his sho­ul­der.
"What is it, Fat­her?" I as­ked.
He drop­ped his hands and lo­oked at me with tho­se blue eyes which we­re full of tra­gedy.
"It's no use, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"I've got to tell so­me­one. I'm go­ing blind."
I sta­red at him. It co­uldn't be true. His pre­ci­o­us eyes . they we­re the ga­te­way to his art, to his con­tent­ment. How co­uld he exist wit­ho­ut his work for which abo­ve all he ne­eded his eyes? It was the who­le me­aning of exis­ten­ce to him.
"No," I whis­pe­red.
"That... can't be."
"It is so," he sa­id.
"But..." I stam­me­red.
"You are all right. You can see."
He sho­ok his he­ad.
"Not as I on­ce co­uld. Not as I used to. It's go­ing to get wor­se. Not sud­denly ... gra­du­al­ly. I know.
I've be­en to a spe­ci­alist. It was when I was on my last trip went to Lon­don. He told me. "
"How long ago?"
"Three we­eks."
"And you kept it to yo­ur­self for so long?"
"I tri­ed not to be­li­eve it. At first I tho­ught... Well, I di­di know what to think. I just co­uld not see as cle­arly ... n cle­arly eno­ugh .
Have you no­ti­ced I've be­en le­aving li­ti things to you?"
"I tho­ught you did that to en­co­ura­ge me ... to gi­ve r con­fi­den­ce."
"Dear Ka­te, you don't ne­ed con­fi­den­ce. You ha­ve all y‹ ne­ed. You're an ar­tist. You're as go­od as yo­ur an­ces­tors."
"Tell me abo­ut the doc­tor ... what he sa­id. Tell n everyt­hing."
"I've got what they call a ca­ta­ract in each eye. The doct says it's small whi­te spots on the lens-cap­su­le in the cent­re the pu­pils. They are slight at the mo­ment, but they will grc big­ger. It might be so­me ti­me be­fo­re I lo­se the sight ofn eyes ... but it co­uld be ra­pid."
"There must be so­met­hing they co­uld do?"
"Yes, an ope­ra­ti­on. But it is a risk, and my eyes wou ne­ver be go­od eno­ugh for my sort of work, even if it we suc­ces­sful. You know what sight we ne­ed ... how we se­em de­ve­lop ext­ra po­wer. You know, Ka­te.
You ha­ve it. But th . blind­ness . Oh, don't you see. It's everyt­hing . "
I was overw­hel­med by the tra­gedy of it. His li­fe was h work and it was to be de­ni­ed him. It was the most trag thing that co­uld ha­ve hap­pe­ned to him. i':
I did not know how to com­fort him, but so­me­how I did;
At le­ast he had told me. I chi­ded him gently for not tell it me be­fo­re, "I don't want an­yo­ne to know yet, Ka­te," he in­sis­ted.
"R our sec­ret, eh?" i "Yes," I sa­id, 'if that is what you wish. It is our sec­ret. " | Then I put my arm ro­und him and held him aga­inst me. I he­ard him whis­per: "You com­fort me, Ka­te."
One can­not re­ma­in in a sta­te of shock in­de­fi­ni­tely. At first I had be­en overw­hel­med by the news and it se­emed as tho­ugh di­sas­ter sta­red us in the fa­ce; but af­ter so­me ref­lec­ti­on my na­tu­ral op­ti­mism ca­me to mya­id^and I be­gan to see that this was not yet the end. For one thing the pro­cess was gra­du­al. At the mo­ment my fat­her simply co­uld not see as well as he on­ce had. He wo­uld not be ab­le to do his fi­nest work.
But he co­uld still pa­int. He wo­uld just ha­ve to chan­ge his style. It se­emed im­pos­sib­le that a Col­li­son sho­uld not be ab­le to pa­int mi­ni­atu­res, but why sho­uldn't he work on a big­ger sca­le? Why sho­uldn't a can­vas ta­ke the pla­ce of pa­in­ting on ivory and me­tals?
On con­si­de­ra­ti­on his bur­den se­emed to ha­ve ligh­te­ned. We tal­ked a gre­at de­al up the­re in the stu­dio.
"You must be my eyes, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"You must watch me. So­me­ti­mes I think I can see well eno­ugh... but I am not su­re. You know how one fal­se stro­ke can be di­sast­ro­us."
I sa­id: "You ha­ve told me now. You sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve kept it to yo­ur­self. It isn't as tho­ugh you are sud­denly smit­ten with blind­ness.
You ha­ve had a long war­ning. and ti­me to pre­pa­re yo­ur­self. "
He lis­te­ned to me al­most li­ke a child, han­ging on my words. I felt very ten­der to­wards him.
"Don't for­get," he re­min­ded me.
"For the ti­me be­ing... not a word to an­yo­ne."
I ag­re­ed with that. I had a ri­di­cu­lo­us ho­pe, which I know to be gro­und­less, that he might re­co­ver and the obst­ruc­ti­on go away.
"Bless you, Ka­te' he sa­id.
"I thank God for you. Yo­ur work is as go­od as anyt­hing I ever did ... and it's get­ting bet­ter. It wo­uld not surp­ri­se me if you sur­pas­sed every Col­li­son. That wo­uld be my con­so­la­ti­on if you did."
So we tal­ked and wor­ked to­get­her and I ma­de su­re that I did the fi­nest work on tho­se ma­nusc­ripts so that he sho­uld not ha­ve to put his eyes to the test. The­re was no do­ubt that all this had gi­ven me an ad­ded spur and I re­al­ly be­li­eved that my to­uch was mo­re su­re than it had be­en pre­vi­o­usly.
A few days pas­sed. It was won­der­ful what ti­me did, and I be­li­eved that his na­tu­re was such that in ti­me he wo­uld be­co­me re­con­ci­led. He wo­uld al­ways see everyt­hing thro­ugh an ar­tist's eyes and he wo­uld al­ways pa­int. The work he had par­ti­cu­larly lo­ved wo­uld be de­ni­ed him . but he was not go­ing to lo­se everyt­hing. not yet, at le­ast. That was what I told him.
It was a we­ek or so af­ter when I he­ard the news.
We had re­tur­ned from a din­ner-party at the doc­tor's ho­use. Evie was al­ways inc­lu­ded in the­se in­vi­ta­ti­ons for she was re­gar­ded, thro­ug­ho­ut the ne­igh­bo­ur­ho­od, as a mem­ber of the fa­mily. Even the so­ci­al­ly min­ded Lady Far­ring­don in­vi­ted her, for af­ter all Evie was a con­nec­ti­on of that fa­mily which con­ta­ined an Earl!
It had be­en an eve­ning li­ke any ot­her. The vi­ca­ra­ge fa­mily had be­en at the doc­tor's ho­use. The­re was the Re­ve­rend John Me­adows with his two grown-up child­ren, Dick and Fran­ces. Dick was stud­ying for the Church and Fran­ces, sin­ce her mot­her had di­ed, had kept ho­use for her fat­her.
I knew the fa­mily well. Be­fo­re I had a go­ver­ness I had be­en to the vi­ca­ra­ge every day to be ta­ught by the cu­ra­te not Evie's but his pre­de­ces­sor, a mid­dle-aged se­ri­o­us old gent­le­man who bo­re wit­ness to the fact that cu­ra­tes co­uld so­me­ti­mes re­ma­in in that lowly sta­te du­ring the­ir en­ti­re ca­re­ers.
We had be­en warmly gre­eted by Dr. and Mrs. Cam­bor­ne and the­ir twin da­ugh­ters. The twins lo­oked so much ali­ke that I co­uld only on ra­re oc­ca­si­ons tell the dif­fe­ren­ce. They in­te­res­ted me. When I was with them I al­ways won­de­red what one wo­uld fe­el to ha­ve anot­her per­son who lo­oked al­most exactly the sa­me and was so clo­se. They had be­en na­med with a cer­ta­in irony, I tho­ught, Fa­ith and Ho­pe. My fat­her sa­id:
"What a pity they we­re not trip­lets, then Cha­rity co­uld ha­ve be­en inc­lu­ded."
Hope was the bol­der of the two; she was the one who spo­ke up when they we­re ad­dres­sed. Fa­ith re­li­ed on her comp­le­tely. She al­ways lo­oked to her sis­ter for sup­port be­fo­re she spo­ke, even. She was of a ner­vo­us tem­pe­ra­ment but the­re was a deg­ree of bold­ness abo­ut Ho­pe. It of­ten se­emed to me as tho­ugh the hu­man vir­tu­es and fa­ilings had be­en ne­atly di­vi­ded and dist­ri­bu­ted bet­we­en tho­se two.
Hope was cle­ver at her les­sons and al­ways hel­ped Fa­ith, who was much slo­wer and fo­und gre­at dif­fi­culty in le­ar­ning. Fa­ith was ne­at and tidy and al­ways cle­ared up af­ter Ho­pe, so the­ir mot­her told me. Fa­ith was go­od wor­king with her hands; Ho­pe was clumsy in that res­pect.
"I am so glad they are fond of each ot­her," the­ir mot­her told my fat­her.
There was no do­ubt that the­re was so­me mystic bond bet­we­en them, which is of­ten fo­und in iden­ti­cal twins. They lo­oked ali­ke and yet we­re so dif­fe­rent. I tho­ught it wo­uld be in­te­res­ting to pa­int them and see what ca­me out, for of­ten when one was en­ga­ged on a mi­ni­atu­re fa­cets of a sit­ter's cha­rac­ter wo­uld be re­ve­aled as if by so­me mi­rac­le.
Dick Me­adows tal­ked a gre­at de­al abo­ut him­self. He had ne­arly fi­nis­hed his tra­ining and wo­uld be lo­oking for a li­ving so­on. A bright yo­ung man, I tho­ught, he wo­uld su­rely be cho­sen be­fo­re Evie's James.
Frances Me­adows was her usu­al sen­sib­le self- con­tent, it se­emed, to de­vo­te her li­fe to church mat­ters and the ca­re­ful run­ning of the vi­ca­ra­ge ho­use­hold.
It was just one of tho­se eve­nings of which the­re had be­en so many. As we wal­ked ho­me I was thin­king how con­ven­ti­onal my li­fe was . and the li­fe of all of us. I co­uld ima­gi­ne Fran­ces ke­eping ho­use at the vi­ca­ra­ge un­til she was a mid­dle-aged wo­man. That was her li­fe-alre­ady map­ped out for her. And myself? Was I go­ing to spend mi­ne in a lit­tle vil­la­ge my so­ci­al li­fe mo­re or less con­fi­ned to din­ners suc­hi as this one to­night? Ple­asant eno­ugh, of co­ur­se, and sha­re­dJ with pe­op­le of whom I was fond- but wo­uld it go on and on| un­til I was mid­dle-aged? | I was very pen­si­ve con­si­de­ring it.
Sometimes, lo­okin­gi back, I won­der whet­her even then I was sub­cons­ci­o­usly| awa­re of the events which we­re abo­ut to bre­ak over me-| dis­rup­ting my pe­ace­ful li­fe fo­re­ver. :j I was cer­ta­inly al­re­ady be­co­ming res­ti­ve. When my fat­her^ ca­me ho­me from his vi­sits ab­ro­ad, I qu­es­ti­oned him avidlyl abo­ut what he had se­en. He had be­en to the Co­urts of Prus­sia] and Den­mark and most grand of all, that of Na­po­le­on the;
Third and his fas­ci­na­ting wi­fe the Emp­ress Euge­nic. He desc­ri­bed the gran­de­urs of tho­se Co­urts and the man­ners. and cus­toms of the pe­op­le who in­ha­bi­ted them. He tal­ked in co­lo­urs and ma­de me see the rich purp­le and gold of ro­yal vest­ments, the soft pas­tel sha­des of the French ho­uses and the less subt­le ones of the Ger­man Co­urts.
I had al­ways felt a lon­ging to see the­se things for myself, and one of my sec­ret dre­ams was that I sho­uld be re­cog­ni­zed as a gre­at pa­in­ter as my fat­her was and that the­se in­vi­ta­ti­ons wo­uld co­me to me. If only I had be­en born a man I co­uld lo­ok. for­ward to that. But he­re I was shut in imp­ri­so­ned in my sex, re­al­ly- in a world which men had cre­ated for them­sel­ves. Wo­men had the­ir uses in that world. They we­re ne­ces­sary for the rep­ro­duc­ti­on of the ra­ce and they co­uld do this most im­por­tant of all tasks whi­le pro­vi­ding a very ag­re­e­ab­le di­ver­si­on; they co­uld gra­ce a man's ho­use­hold and tab­le; they co­uld even help him on his way, stand be­si­de him but al­ways a lit­tle in the backg­ro­und, al­ways be­ing ca­re­ful to ma­ke su­re that the li­me­light fell on him.
It was for Art that I ca­red, but when I re­ali­zed that my mi­ni­atu­res co­uld bring as gre­at a re­ward as tho­se of my fat­her- but only be­ca­use they we­re be­li­eved to be his1 was mad­de­ned by the un­fa­ir­ness and stu­pi­dity of the world; and I co­uld un­ders­tand why so­me wo­men we­re re­fu­sing to toe the li­ne and ac­cept the as­sump­ti­on of mas­cu­li­ne su­pe­ri­ority.
When we ar­ri­ved back at the ho­use on that night it was to find James Cal­lum the­re.
"You must for­gi­ve me for cal­ling at such an ho­ur, Mr. Col­li­son," he sa­id.
"But I had to see Evie."
He was so ex­ci­ted that he co­uld scar­cely spe­ak. Evie went to him and la­id a cal­ming hand on his arm.
"What is it, James. Not... a li­ving!"
"Well, hardly that. It's a ... a pro­po­si­ti­on. It de­pends on what Evie says ..."
"It might be a go­od idea to ask me and find out," Evie po­in­ted out in that prac­ti­cal way ot­hers.
"It's this, Evie I've be­en as­ked to go to Af­ri­ca ... as a mis­si­onary."
"James!"
"Yes, and they think I sho­uld ha­ve a wi­fe to ta­ke with me."
I saw the joy in Evie's fa­ce but I did not lo­ok at my fat­her. I knew he wo­uld be bat­tling with his emo­ti­ons.
I he­ard him say: "Evie ... That's won­der­ful. You'll be su­perb ... and ke­ep them all in or­der."
"Evie," fal­te­red James.
"You ha­ven't sa­id."
Evie was smi­ling.
"When do we le­ave?" she as­ked.
"There's not much ti­me, I'm af­ra­id. They've sug­ges­ted in a month if that's pos­sib­le."
"You'll ha­ve to get the banns up right away," put in my fat­her.

"I

think that ta­kes three we­eks. "
I went to Evie and emb­ra­ced her.
"It's go­ing to be aw­ful for us wit­ho­ut you, but you'll be won­der­ful­ly happy. It's just right for you.
Oh Evie, you de­ser­ve everyt­hing of the best. "
We clung to­get­her. It was one of tho­se ra­re mo­ments when Evie al­lo­wed her­self to show the depth ot­her fe­elings.
Being Evie, she ma­de our prob­lem hers, and in the midst of all her hap­pi­ness and the bust­le of get­ting re­ady at such short no­ti­ce she did not for­get us.
I had ne­ver se­en her as ex­ci­ted as she was at this ti­me. She re­ad a gre­at de­al abo­ut Af­ri­ca and was de­ter­mi­ned to ma­ke a suc­cess of this job for James and her­self.
"You see, he's ta­king so­me­one el­se's pla­ce. The pre­vi­o­us one ca­me ho­me on ho­li­day and de­ve­lo­ped chest tro­ub­le. He can't go back. That has gi­ven James his chan­ce."
"He de­ser­ves it- and so do you."
"It's all wor­ked out very well in many ways. Jack Me­adows can gi­ve his fat­her a hand un­til so­met­hing is set­tled. Isn't it mi­ra­cu­lo­us? The only thing that wor­ri­es me is you ... but I've be­en thin­king and Cla­re ca­me in­to my mind."
"Who's Cla­re?"
"Clare Mas­sie. Wo­uld you li­ke me to wri­te to her? Do you know, I be­li­eve she is the ans­wer. I ha­ven't se­en her for so­me ye­ars but she has kept in to­uch. We wri­te to each ot­her every Christ­mas."
"Do tell me abo­ut her."
"Well, I tho­ught she might co­me he­re. Last Christ­mas she wro­te that her mot­her had di­ed. She'd be­en lo­oking af­ter her for ye­ars. You know the sort of thing ... the yo­un­ger da­ugh­ter ... it's ex­pec­ted of her.
The ot­hers all ha­ve the­ir own li­ves to le­ad and the­re's not­hing for her but to lo­ok af­ter age­ing pa­rents. The­re was a sis­ter. She mar­ri­ed and went ab­ro­ad. Cla­re ra­rely he­ars from her. But she was sa­ying last Christ­mas that she might ha­ve to find so­me post..."
"If she's a fri­end of yo­urs ..."
"She's a dis­tant con­nec­ti­on ... co­usin so many ti­mes re­mo­ved that we've lost co­unt. She must ha­ve be­en abo­ut fo­ur­te­en when I last saw her. It was at the fu­ne­ral of a gre­at-aunt. She se­emed to be such a go­od-na­tu­red girl and al­re­ady she was lo­oking af­ter her mot­her. Shall I wri­te?"
"Oh yes, ple­ase do."
"If I co­uld get her to co­me be­fo­re I left I co­uld show her a few things."
"Evie, you're a won­der. In the midst of all this ex­ci­te­ment you can think of ot­hers. Ple­ase wri­te. If she is re­la­ted to you I am su­re we shall lo­ve her."
"I will... im­me­di­ately. Of co­ur­se, it may be that she has fo­und so­met­hing by now ..."
"We'll ho­pe," I sa­id.
It was only two we­eks af­ter that con­ver­sa­ti­on that Cla­re Mas­sie ar­ri­ved. She had ac­cep­ted the of­fer with alac­rity and Evie was de­ligh­ted.
"It is just right for you and just right for Cla­re," she sa­id; and she was in a sta­te of bliss. Not only was she mar­rying her de­ar James but she had set­tled us and her dis­tant re­la­ti­ve Cla­re at the sa­me ti­me.
I went with Evie in the dog-cart to the sta­ti­on to me­et Cla­re and my first glimp­se ot­her was on the plat­form with her bags aro­und her. She had lo­oked qu­ite for­lorn and I felt an im­me­di­ate sympathy for her.
What sho­uld / fe­el, fa­cing a new li­fe among pe­op­le I had ne­ver met be­fo­re with only a dis­tant co­usin to help me over the first days and that prop so­on to be re­mo­ved?
Evie swept down on Cla­re. They emb­ra­ced.
"Kate, this is Cla­re Mas­sie. Cla­re, Ka­te Col­li­son."
We sho­ok hands and I lo­oked in­to a pa­ir of lar­ge brown eyes in a rat­her pa­le, he­art-sha­ped fa­ce. The light brown ha­ir was smo­ot­hed down on eit­her si­de of her he­ad to end in a ne­at knob. Her straw hat was brown with one yel­low da­isy in it and her co­at was brown too. She lo­oked ner­vo­us . fe­ar­ful of gi­ving of­fen­ce. She must ha­ve be­en abo­ut twenty-eight or thirty.
I tri­ed to re­as­su­re her and told her how glad we we­re that she had co­me. Evie had told us so much abo­ut her.
"Oh yes," she sa­id.
"Evie has be­en very go­od."
"We co­uld ha­ve the lug­ga­ge sent on," sa­id Evie, prac­ti­cal as ever.
"Then we co­uld all go in the dog-cart qu­ite com­for­tably. Bring a small bag. Ha­ve you got one? Oh yes, just the things you'll ne­ed im­me­di­ately."
"I ho­pe you are go­ing to be happy he­re," I sa­id.
"Of co­ur­se she will," sa­id Evie.
"I only ho­pe I shall be ab­le to ..."
Evie si­len­ced her.
"Everything will be just right," she sa­id firmly.
We tal­ked abo­ut Evie's mar­ri­age and im­mi­nent de­par­tu­re.
"I'm glad you'll be he­re for it," I sa­id.
Thus we bro­ught Cla­re ho­me, and so­on af­ter that Evie was mar­ri­ed. My fat­her ga­ve her away, the vi­car per­for­med the ce­re­mony and af­ter­wards we had a re­cep­ti­on for her at Col­li­son Ho­use with just a few fri­ends and ne­igh­bo­urs. La­ter that day the bri­de and bri­deg­ro­om left on the first lap of the­ir jo­ur­ney to Af­ri­ca.
Clare qu­ickly fit­ted in­to the ho­use­hold. She de­vo­ted her­self to us with such as­si­du­o­us ca­re and de­ter­mi­na­ti­on to ple­ase that if she we­re not qu­ite Evie and we had con­vin­ced our­sel­ves that no­body co­uld be that- she was un­do­ub­tedly the next best thing.
She was ext­re­mely gent­le and easy to get along with, which ma­de us re­ali­ze that, won­der­ful as Evie had be­en, she co­uld at ti­mes imply a lit­tle cri­ti­cism to tho­se who did not con­form to her own high stan­dards which of co­ur­se no­ne of us did.
Perhaps the ho­use was not qu­ite so well ca­red for. Per­haps the ser­vants we­re not qu­ite so prompt to ans­wer our calls, and the­re was cer­ta­inly an easing of dis­cip­li­ne; but we we­re so­on all very fond of Cla­re and de­ligh­ted that she had co­me.
My fat­her com­men­ted: "I think per­haps that alt­ho­ugh we li­ke the ef­fect of highly po­we­red ef­fi­ci­ency we fe­el our­sel­ves unab­le to com­pe­te with it and a lit­tle slack­ness gi­ves us a self-cong­ra­tu­la­tory glow of com­fort."
And I ag­re­ed with him.
Clare ma­de fri­ends qu­ickly and se­emed to get on par­ti­cu­larly well with the Cam­bor­ne twins. My fat­her was qu­ite amu­sed. He sa­id that Fa­ith was be­gin­ning to lo­ok to Cla­re al­most as much as she did to Ho­pe.
"Two rocks to cling to now," he com­men­ted.
Clare be­gan to show a gre­at res­pect for our work and as­ked my fat­her if she might see his col­lec­ti­on of mi­ni­atu­res, which de­ligh­ted him. It was a con­si­de­rab­le col­lec­ti­on. It was ma­inly Col­li­sons, but he did ha­ve a Hil­li­ard and two Isa­ac Oli­vers, which I tho­ught we­re even bet­ter than the Hil­li­ard tho­ugh pos­sibly of not the sa­me mar­ket va­lue.
One of his gre­atest tre­asu­res was a small mi­ni­atu­re by the French ar­tist, Je­an Pu­cel­le, who had be­en a le­ading mem­ber of a gro­up of mi­ni­atu­rists at the Co­urt of Bur­gundy in Pa­ris du­ring the fo­ur­te­enth cen­tury. My fat­her used to say that this col­lec­ti­on was our for­tu­ne.
Not that he wo­uld ever think of sel­ling one pi­ece. They had be­en in the fa­mily for ge­ne­ra­ti­ons and the­re they must stay.
Clare's brown eyes sho­ne with ple­asu­re as she sur­ve­yed the­se tre­asu­res and my fat­her exp­la­ined to her the dif­fe­ren­ces in tem­pe­ra and go­u­ac­he.
Even Evie had not un­ders­to­od abo­ut the pa­in­tings and sec­retly I be­li­eve had had a fa­int con­tempt for such work. But for the fact that my fat­her ear­ned a li­ving by do­ing it I am su­re she wo­uld ha­ve dis­mis­sed it as a rat­her fri­vo­lo­us oc­cu­pa­ti­on.
But Cla­re re­al­ly did ha­ve a fe­eling for pa­int and ad­mit­ted that she had tri­ed her hand at a lit­tle oil pa­in­ting.
It was cle­ar that Cla­re was go­ing to be a very suc­ces­sful ad­di­ti­on to our ho­use­hold. The ser­vants li­ked her; she was less de­fi­ni­te than Evie but that co­uld me­an that she was not di­dac­tic and do­mi­ne­ering.
There was abo­ut Cla­re a cer­ta­in fe­mi­ni­nity which ma­de pe­op­le fe­el the ne­ed to be gent­le with her. The ser­vants sen­sed this and whe­re­as they might ha­ve be­en re­sent­ful of a ho­use­ke­eper- which I sup­po­se in a way she was they all hel­ped Cla­re to step in­to Evie's sho­es.
And that was what she did. She was dif­fe­rent; she was gent­ler; and if she lac­ked that comp­le­te ef­fi­ci­ency which we had fo­und in Evie, we we­re pre­pa­red to ac­cept so­met­hing less from one who was so eager to ple­ase.
After a whi­le she be­gan to con­fi­de in me and when she tal­ked abo­ut her mot­her she wo­uld be over­co­me with emo­ti­on.
"I lo­ved her de­arly," she sa­id.
"She was my li­fe be­ca­use I had lo­oked af­ter her thro­ugh her il­lness.
Oh, Ka­te, I ho­pe you ne­ver ha­ve to see one you lo­ve suf­fer. It is he­art­ren­ding. The­re we­re ye­ars of it..."
I knew she had an el­der sis­ter who had mar­ri­ed and go­ne ab­ro­ad and that her fat­her had di­ed when Cla­re was qu­ite a child. It se­emed that her mot­her had do­mi­na­ted her li­fe, and that it had be­en a hard li­fe I had no do­ubt. She had do­ne a lit­tle pa­in­ting her­self, so she was ex­ci­ted to be in a ho­use­hold li­ke ours.
"My mot­her tho­ught my pa­in­ting was a was­te of ti­me," she sa­id.
I gu­es­sed that her mot­her had not be­en easy to li­ve with, alt­ho­ugh Cla­re ne­ver sa­id so and al­ways spo­ke of her with the ut­most af­fec­ti­on.
There was abo­ut her an air of one who has es­ca­ped to fre­edom; and my fat­her and I we­re par­ti­cu­larly ple­ased to ha­ve her in our ho­me.
And then the com­mis­si­on ca­me.
It threw my fat­her in­to a sta­te bor­de­ring on pa­nic, exul­ta­ti­on, ap­pre­hen­si­on, ex­ci­te­ment and un­cer­ta­inty.
It was the mo­ment of de­ci­si­on for him. He­re was one of the most im­por­tant com­mis­si­ons of his li­fe. Co­uld he, in his pre­sent sta­te, ta­ke it?
As so­on as we we­re alo­ne in the stu­dio he exp­la­ined to me. He was hol­ding a he­avily em­bos­sed pi­ece of pa­per.
"This is from the ste­ward of the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le. It's in Nor­mandy not so far from Pa­ris. It's a com­mis­si­on from the Ba­ron alt­ho­ugh na­tu­ral­ly it co­mes thro­ugh his ste­ward. Ap­pa­rently he is to marry and he wants a mi­ni­atu­re pa­in­ted of him­self for his fi­an­cee, the Prin­ces­se de Cres­pigny. And when that is do­ne, if the re­sults are ple­asing, I am to vi­sit the lady and pa­int one of her, so that in ac­cor­dan­ce with the cus­tom, mi­ni­atu­res can be exc­han­ged bet­we­en the happy pa­ir. Ka­te, it's the op­por­tu­nity of a li­fe­ti­me. If he is ple­ased ... if my mi­ni­atu­res are se­en in such qu­ar­ters ... I co­uld be pa­in­ting the Emp­ress Euge­nic her­self be­fo­re long." His eyes we­re glo­wing. For the mo­ment he had for­got­ten his af­flic­ti­on. I watc­hed him with a ter­rib­le pity and de­so­la­ti­on in my he­art as he re­mem­be­red and the joy fa­ded from his fa­ce. I had ne­ver se­en him lo­ok so des­pa­iring.
Then sud­denly his exp­res­si­on chan­ged.
"We co­uld do it, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"You co­uld do it."
I tho­ught my he­art­be­ats wo­uld suf­fo­ca­te me. It was what I had lon­ged for: to be com­mis­si­oned by so­me glit­te­ring per­so­na­ge . to tra­vel be­yond our lit­tle world . ac­ross a con­ti­nent, to vi­sit fo­re­ign Co­urts, to li­ve among pe­op­le who ma­de his­tory.
Of all the Co­urts of Euro­pe, the most glit­te­ring was that of Fran­ce.
The Co­urt of our own Qu­e­en was somb­re in com­pa­ri­son. She was still mo­ur­ning the de­ath of her Con­sort who had di­ed of typho­id a few ye­ars pre­vi­o­usly. Sin­ce then the Qu­e­en had shut her­self away and scar­cely shown her­self. The Prin­ce of Wa­les se­emed to li­ve a very merry li­fe but that was not the sa­me thing. Char­les Lo­u­is Na­po­le­on Bo­na­par­te, son of Lo­u­is Bo­na­par­te who had be­en brot­her of the gre­at Na­po­le­on who had al­most suc­ce­eded in con­qu­ering the

D.

L.

- B world, had mar­ri­ed the be­a­uti­ful Euge­nie Ma­ri­ede Mon­ti­jo, and bet­we­en them they had ma­de the­ir Co­urt the cent­re of Euro­pe.
How I lon­ged to see it! But of co­ur­se the­se in­vi­ta­ti­ons did not co­me for me. They we­re for my fat­her. And when he sa­id:
"We co­uld do it..." he had gi­ven me a glim­mer of what was for­ming in his mind.
I sa­id qu­i­etly: "You will ha­ve to re­fu­se."
"Yes," he rep­li­ed, but I co­uld see that that was not the end of the mat­ter.
I went on: "You will ha­ve to let it be known now. This must de­ci­de you."
"You co­uld do it, Ka­te."
"They wo­uld ne­ver ac­cept a wo­man."
"No," he ag­re­ed, 'of co­ur­se not. "
He was lo­oking at me in­tently. Then he sa­id slowly: "I co­uld ac­cept this com­mis­si­on ..."
"Your eyes might fa­il you. That wo­uld be qu­ite di­sast­ro­us."
"You wo­uld be my eyes, Ka­te."
"Do you me­an that I wo­uld go with you?"
He nod­ded slowly.
"I sho­uld be al­lo­wed to ta­ke you with me. I ne­ed a tra­vel­ling com­pa­ni­on. I am not as yo­ung as I was. You wo­uld be of use to me.
They wo­uld think ... per­haps to mix the pa­ints ... cle­an my brus­hes, my pa­let­tes ... So they wo­uld think. And you wo­uld watch over me, Ka­te."
"Yes," I sa­id.
"I co­uld do that."
"I wish I co­uld say to them: " My da­ugh­ter is a gre­at pa­in­ter. She will do yo­ur mi­ni­atu­res. " But they wo­uld ne­ver ac­cept it."
"The world is un­fa­ir to wo­men," I sa­id ang­rily.
"The world is un­fa­ir to all at ti­mes. No, Ka­te, we can­not go un­less we go to­get­her. I, be­ca­use I ne­ed you to be my eyes; you, be­ca­use you are a wo­man. When the mi­ni­atu­res are do­ne, if they arc suc­ces­sful, I will say to this Ba­ron: "This is the work of my da­ugh­ter. You ha­ve ad­mi­red it... ac­cep­ted it... Now ac­cept her for the pa­in­ter she is." Ka­te, this might be yo­ur chan­ce.
It might be fa­te wor­king in a myste­ri­o­us way. "
My eyes we­re shi­ning. I co­uld scar­cely be­ar to lo­ok at him.
"Yes," I sa­id.
"We are go­ing."
A mo­od of wild ex­ci­te­ment and exul­ta­ti­on to­ok pos­ses­si­on of me. I had ne­ver felt so jubi­lant be­fo­re in all my li­fe. I knew I co­uld pa­int a mi­ni­atu­re to com­pa­re with the gre­atest ar­tists. My sen­ses ting­led and my who­le be­ing ye­ar­ned to be­gin.
Then I was as­ha­med of my hap­pi­ness be­ca­use it ca­me to me thro­ugh my fat­her's mis­for­tu­ne.
He un­ders­to­od. I he­ard him la­ugh softly, ten­derly.
"Don't deny yo­ur art, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"You are an ar­tist first of all.
If you we­ren't you wo­uld not be a gre­at ar­tist. This co­uld be yo­ur chan­ce. Stri­ke a blow for Art and Wo­man­ho­od at the sa­me ti­me. Lis­ten to me. I am go­ing to ac­cept this com­mis­si­on. We are go­ing to­get­her to this cha­te­au in Nor­mandy. You are go­ing to pa­int as you ne­ver did be­fo­re. I can see it all so cle­arly. "
"There will ha­ve to be sit­tings .. and the sit­ter will know."
"That is not in­sur­mo­un­tab­le. You will be the­re du­ring the sit­tings.
You will watch. I will pa­int and you will do yo­ur mi­ni­atu­re when the sit­ter is ab­sent. You will ha­ve se­en him and ha­ve mi­ne to work from.
It is only the fi­ne stro­kes which are be­yond me. We'll work it, Ka­te.
Oh, this is go­ing to be the most ex­ci­ting ad­ven­tu­re. "
"Show me the let­ter."
I held it in my hands. It was li­ke a ta­lis­man, a pas­sport to glory. I of­ten won­de­red af­ter­wards why we do not ha­ve pre­mo­ni­ti­ons in li­fe. to warn us. to gu­ide us. But no, the im­por­tant mo­ments in our li­fe slip by with no spe­ci­al se­eming sig­ni­fi­can­ce. If only I had known then that this let­ter was go­ing to chan­ge the who­le co­ur­se of my li­fe, what sho­uld I ha­ve do­ne?
"Shall you wri­te?" I as­ked.
"Today," rep­li­ed my fat­her.
"Shouldn't you wa­it aw­hi­le ... con­si­der ..."
"I ha­ve con­si­de­red. Ha­ve you?"
"Yes, I ha­ve."
"It's go­ing to work, Ka­te. We're go­ing to ma­ke it work."
It was a long ti­me sin­ce I had se­en my fat­her so happy. We we­re li­ke two child­ren pre­pa­ring for the tre­at of our li­ves. We re­fu­sed to see the dif­fi­cul­ti­es. We pre­fer­red to li­ve in our eup­ho­ric dre­am con­vin­cing our­sel­ves that everyt­hing wo­uld work out as we had plan­ned.
"If I saw you ac­cep­ted as you sho­uld be," sa­id my fat­her, "I think I co­uld be­co­me re­con­ci­led."
We tal­ked to Cla­re. Did she fe­el ca­pab­le of ta­king on the res­pon­si­bi­li­ti­es of the ho­use­hold af­ter such a short ti­me?
She rep­li­ed ear­nestly that she wo­uld do everyt­hing wit­hin her po­wer to jus­tify our trust in her.
"I fe­el I ha­ve go­od fri­ends he­re," she sa­id.
"They are so kind at the Ma­nor and the vi­ca­ra­ge, and I ha­ve the Cam­bor­ne twins. Oh yes, I cer­ta­inly do fe­el that I am among fri­ends. I am su­re that if the­re are any dif­fi­cul­ti­es whi­le you are away- which I don't re­al­ly an­ti­ci­pa­te-1 shall ha­ve plenty of fri­ends to help me out of them."
"We are not qu­ite su­re how long this com­mis­si­on will ta­ke to carry out.
It de­pends so much on the su­bj­ect. Then, when we ha­ve fi­nis­hed in Nor­mandy we may ha­ve to go on to Pa­ris."
"You can rest happy that all will be ta­ken ca­re of he­re," Cla­re as­su­red us.
So in less than two we­eks af­ter my fat­her had re­ce­ived the in­vi­ta­ti­on he and I we­re set­ting out for the Cha­te­au de Cen­te­vil­le in Nor­mandy.
Within the Cha­te­au -t^ sy‹‹fy The jo­ur­ney wo­uld ha­ve be­en ti­ring but for the fact that I was so ex­ci­ted by everyt­hing I saw. I had ne­ver be­en out of the co­untry be­fo­re and I was eager to miss not­hing. The cros­sing was smo­oth and af­ter what se­emed li­ke an in­ter­mi­nab­le tra­in jo­ur­ney we ar­ri­ved at Ro­u­en. The­re we to­ok anot­her tra­in which wo­uld carry us to Cen­te­vil­le.
It was la­te af­ter­no­on when we ar­ri­ved. We had be­en tra­vel­ling sin­ce the early mor­ning of the pre­vi­o­us day and in spi­te of the in­te­rest of the jo­ur­ney I was im­men­sely re­li­eved to ha­ve co­me to the end of it.
As we left the tra­in a man in li­very ap­pro­ac­hed us. I de­tec­ted a lo­ok of dis­be­li­ef in his eyes and I gu­es­sed that this was surp­ri­se at se­e­ing a man and wo­man when he had be­en ex­pec­ting a man only.
My fat­her was the first to spe­ak. His French was qu­ite go­od and mi­ne was ade­qu­ate, so we had few qu­alms abo­ut lan­gu­age dif­fi­cul­ti­es.
"I am Ken­dal Col­li­son," he sa­id.
"Might you be lo­oking for me? We we­re told that we wo­uld be met at the sta­ti­on."
The man bo­wed. Yes, he sa­id, he had co­me to me­et Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son on be­half of Mon­si­e­ur de Man­ner, Ste­ward of the Cha­te­au de Cen­te­vil­le.
"Then I am yo­ur man," sa­id my fat­her.
"And this is my da­ugh­ter, wit­ho­ut whom I do not tra­vel no­wa­days."
I re­ce­ived the sa­me co­ur­te­o­us bow, which I ack­now­led­ged by inc­li­ning my he­ad, and the man then pro­ce­eded to le­ad us to­wards a car­ri­age. It was mag­ni­fi­cent- dark blue in co­lo­ur and emb­la­zo­ned on it was a co­at of arms, pre­su­mably that of our il­lust­ri­o­us pat­ron, We we­re hel­ped in and told that our bag­ga­ge wo­uld be bro­ught to the cha­te­au. I was re­li­eved be­ca­use it was cer­ta­inly not worthy to gra­ce such a ve­hic­le. I lo­oked at my fat­her and al­most gig­gled. It was she­er ner­vo­us­ness, of co­ur­se. The ce­re­mo­ni­al na­tu­re of our re­cep­ti­on had had this ef­fect, re­min­ding me that we we­re abo­ut to fa­ce the con­se­qu­en­ces of our very rash act.
The hor­ses we­re whip­ped up and we bow­led along thro­ugh the most enc­han­ting co­untry­si­de. It was wo­oded and hilly and sud­denly we saw the cast­le perc­hed abo­ve the town- a Nor­man, grey sto­ne and imp­reg­nab­le fort­ress with its mas­si­ve cylind­ri­cal co­lumns, its long nar­row slits of win­dows, its ro­un­ded arc­hes and mac­hi­co­la­ted to­wers.
It lo­oked for­bid­ding- a fort­ress in­de­ed rat­her than a dwel­ling pla­ce, and I felt a shi­ver of ap­pre­hen­si­on run thro­ugh me.
We we­re clim­bing the gra­du­al slo­pe and as we grew ne­arer to the cast­le, the mo­re me­na­cing it se­emed to be. We sho­uld ha­ve exp­la­ined, I told myself. We ha­ve co­me he­re un­der fal­se pre­ten­ces. What will they do if they dis­co­ver? Well, they can only send us back.
I lo­oked at my fat­her. I co­uld not tell from his exp­res­si­on whet­her he felt the bro­oding po­wer of the pla­ce as I did.
We pas­sed over a mo­at and un­der a port­cul­lis and we­re in a co­urt­yard.
The car­ri­age stop­ped and our splen­did dri­ver jum­ped down from his se­at and ope­ned the do­or for us to alight.
I felt sud­denly small stan­ding be­si­de tho­se im­men­se walls of sto­ne. I tur­ned to lo­ok up at the Ke­ep, with the to­wer on it which must gi­ve a vi­ew of mi­les sur­ro­un­ding the cast­le.
"This way," sa­id our dri­ver.
We we­re fa­cing a stud­ded do­or. He rap­ped on it sharply and it was ope­ned im­me­di­ately by a man in li­very si­mi­lar to that worn by the dri­ver.
"Monsieur and Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son," sa­id the dri­ver as tho­ugh an­no­un­cing us at so­me func­ti­on. He then bo­wed to us and pre­pa­red to le­ave, ha­ving de­li­ve­red us in­to the hands of our next gu­ide.
The ser­vant bo­wed in the sa­me ce­re­mo­ni­o­us fas­hi­on and sig­ned for us to fol­low him.
We we­re ta­ken in­to a lar­ge hall with an arc­hed ro­of sup­por­ted by thick ro­und sto­ne co­lumns. The­re we­re se­ve­ral win­dows but they we­re so nar­row that they did not let in a gre­at de­al of light; sto­ne benc­hes we­re cut out of the wall; the­re was a long, be­a­uti­ful­ly car­ved tab­le in the cent­re of the hall -a con­ces­si­on to a la­ter pe­ri­od, for I pre­su­med the hall it­self was pu­re Nor­man, and anot­her con­ces­si­on was that the­re was glass in the win­dows.
"Excuse me for one mo­ment," sa­id the ser­vant.
"I will ac­qu­a­int Mon­si­e­ur de Mar­ni­er of yo­ur ar­ri­val."
My fat­her and I lo­oked at each ot­her in sup­pres­sed awe when we we­re alo­ne.
"So far, so go­od," he whis­pe­red.
I ag­re­ed, with the pro­vi­so that we had not yet co­me very far.
In a very short ti­me we we­re ma­king the ac­qu­a­in­tan­ce of Mon­si­e­ur de Mar­ni­er who qu­ickly let us know that he held the very res­pon­sib­le post of Ma­j­or­do­mo, ho­use ste­ward of the Cha­te­au de Cen­te­vil­le. He was a very imp­res­si­ve per­so­na­ge in a blue co­at with splas­hes of gold bra­id on it and lar­ge but­tons which de­pic­ted so­met­hing. As far as I co­uld see at the ti­me it se­emed to be so­me sort of ship. Mon­si­e­ur de Mar­ni­er was both gra­ci­o­us and dis­tur­bed. He had be­en mis­led. He had be­en told one gent­le­man.
"This is my da­ugh­ter," exp­la­ined my fat­her.
"I tho­ught it was un­ders­to­od. I don't tra­vel wit­ho­ut her. She is ne­ces­sary to my work."
"Of co­ur­se, Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son. Of co­ur­se. An over­sight. I will dis­co­ver ... It will be ne­ces­sary to ha­ve a ro­om pre­pa­red. I will see to that. It is a ba­ga­tel­le... of no im­por­tan­ce. If you will co­me to the ro­om which has be­en pre­pa­red for Mon­si­e­ur, I will ar­ran­ge for one to be ma­de re­ady for Ma­de­mo­isel­le. We di­ne at eight of the clock.
Would you ca­re for so­me ref­resh­ment to be sent to yo­ur ro­om me­anw­hi­le?
"
I sa­id so­me cof­fee wo­uld be ex­cel­lent.
He bo­wed.
"Coffee and a lit­tle go­uter. It shall be do­ne. Ple­ase to fol­low me.
Monsieur de Mor­te­mer will see you at din­ner. He will then ac­qu­a­int you with what is ex­pec­ted."
He led the way up a wi­de sta­ir­ca­se and along a gal­lery. Then we ca­me to a sto­ne spi­ral sta­ir­ca­se- typi­cal­ly Nor­man, which was a furt­her in­di­ca­ti­on of the age of the cast­le, each step be­ing bu­ilt in­to the wall at one end le­aving a ro­und pi­ece at the ot­her as the shaft. I was a lit­tle con­cer­ned for my fat­her as his eyes might fa­il him in the sud­den chan­ge of light on this rat­her dan­ge­ro­us sta­ir­ca­se. I in­sis­ted that he go ahe­ad and I wal­ked clo­se be­hind him in ca­se he sho­uld stumb­le.
At length we ca­me to anot­her hall. We we­re very high and I co­uld see that up he­re the light wo­uld be go­od and strong. We tur­ned off the hall to a cor­ri­dor. The ser­vant ope­ned the do­or to that ro­om which had be­en al­lot­ted to my fat­her. It was lar­ge and con­ta­ined a bed and se­ve­ral pi­eces of he­avy fur­ni­tu­re of an early pe­ri­od. The win­dows we­re long and nar­row, exc­lu­ding the light; and the walls we­re de­co­ra­ted with we­apons and ta­pestry.
I co­uld fe­el the past all aro­und me but he­re aga­in the­re we­re a few con­ces­si­ons to mo­dern com­fort. I saw that be­hind the bed a ru­el­le had be­en ma­de. It was an al­co­ve in which one co­uld wash and dress a kind of dres­sing-ro­om which wo­uld ha­ve no pla­ce in a Nor­man fort­ress.
"You will be in­for­med, Ma­de­mo­isel­le, when yo­ur ro­om is re­ady for you,"
I was told.
Then we we­re alo­ne.
My fat­her se­emed to ha­ve cast off a go­od many ye­ars. He was li­ke a misc­hi­evo­us boy.
"The an­ti­qu­ity of everyt­hing!" he cri­ed.
"I co­uld fancy I was back eight hund­red ye­ars and that Du­ke Wil­li­am is go­ing to ap­pe­ar sud­denly to tell us that he plans to con­qu­er Eng­land."
"Yes, I fe­el that too. It is de­ci­dedly fe­udal. I won­der who this Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer is?"
"The na­me was spo­ken with such res­pect that he might be the son of the ho­use."
"Surely the Ba­ron who is abo­ut to be mar­ri­ed wo­uldn't ha­ve a son ... one who is old eno­ugh to re­ce­ive us at any ra­te."
"Could be a se­cond mar­ri­age. I ho­pe not. I want him to be yo­ung, un­li­ned ... Then he will lo­ok hand­so­me."
"Older fa­ces can be mo­re in­te­res­ting," I po­in­ted out.
"If pe­op­le re­ali­zed it, yes. But they all long for the con­to­urs of yo­uth, the un sha­do­wed eyes, the matt comp­le­xi­ons. For an in­te­res­ting mi­ni­atu­re gi­ve me the not so yo­ung. But so much de­pends on this. If we can ma­ke our su­bj­ect lo­ok hand­so­me ... then we shall get many com­mis­si­ons. That is what we ne­ed, da­ugh­ter."
"You talk as tho­ugh they are go­ing to ac­cept me. I ha­ve my do­ubts. At the Co­urt of Fran­co­is Pre­mi­er they might ha­ve do­ne. He lo­ved wo­men in every way and res­pec­ted the­ir equ­al right to in­tel­li­gen­ce and ac­hi­eve­ment. I do­ubt we shall find the sa­me in fe­udal Nor­mandy."
"You're jud­ging our host by his cast­le."
"I sen­se that he clings to the past. I fe­el it in the air."
"We shall see, Ka­te. In the me­an­ti­me let us think up a go­od plan of ac­ti­on. I won­der whe­re we shall be wor­king. It'll ha­ve to be ligh­ter than the­se ro­oms."
"I am be­gin­ning to won­der whe­re this will end."
"Let us con­cern our­sel­ves first with the be­gin­ning. We're he­re, Ka­te.
We're go­ing to me­et this Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer to­night. Let's see what he has to say to yo­ur pre­sen­ce he­re. "
While we we­re tal­king the­re was a knock and a ma­id­ser­vant ca­me in car­rying cof­fee and a kind of bri­oc­he with a fru­it pre­ser­ve. When we had eaten, she sa­id she wo­uld re­turn and ta­ke me to my ro­om, which was next to my fat­her's. Then wa­ter wo­uld be bro­ught for us to wash. We had plenty of ti­me be­fo­re din­ner.
The cof­fee and bri­oc­he we­re de­li­ci­o­us and my spi­rits ro­se. I be­gan to catch my fat­her's op­ti­mism.
My ro­om was very li­ke his. The­re we­re thick car­pets on the Ho­or and the dra­pe­ri­es at the win­dow we­re of dull purp­le vel­vet. The­re was an ar­mo­ire, so­me cha­irs and a tab­le on which sto­od a he­avy mir­ror. I knew I co­uld be com­for­tab­le he­re.
My lug­ga­ge was bro­ught in and I pre­pa­red to chan­ge for din­ner.
What did one we­ar in a pla­ce li­ke this? I had ima­gi­ned that the­re wo­uld be a cer­ta­in amo­unt of ce­re­mony, and I was thank­ful for Lady Far­ring­don's par­ti­es for which I had had se­ve­ral dres­ses ma­de.
I cho­se a fa­irly so­ber one of dark gre­en vel­vet with a full skirt and fit­ted bo­di­ce. It was by no me­ans a ball gown but it had be­en su­itab­le for the mu­si­cal eve­nings which Lady Far­ring­don had gi­ven and I tho­ught it wo­uld fit the pre­sent oc­ca­si­on. Mo­re­over I al­ways felt my most con­fi­dent in that co­lo­ur gre­en jewel co­lo­ur, my fat­her cal­led it.
"The old mas­ters we­re ab­le to pro­du­ce it," he sa­id.
"No one el­se wAs very suc­ces­sful with it af­ter the se­ven­te­enth cen­tury.
In tho­se days co­lo­ur was im­por­tant and gre­at ar­tists had the­ir sec­rets which they kept to them­sel­ves. It's dif­fe­rent now. You ha­ve to buy it in a tu­be and it is not the sa­me."
When I was re­ady I went to my fat­her's ro­om. He was wa­iting for me and I had not be­en the­re mo­re than a few mi­nu­tes when the­re was a disc­re­et tap on the do­or. It was the ste­ward him­self who had co­me to con­duct us down to din­ner.
We se­emed to walk so­me dis­tan­ce and we­re in anot­her part of the cast­le.
The arc­hi­tec­tu­re had chan­ged a lit­tle. The cast­le was evi­dently vast and must ha­ve be­en ad­ded to con­si­de­rably over the cen­tu­ri­es. It se­emed to ha­ve chan­ged from early Nor­man to la­te Got­hic.
We we­re in a small ro­om pa­nel­led with a pa­in­ted ce­iling which ca­ught my eye im­me­di­ately. I sho­uld enj­oy exa­mi­ning that at so­me la­ter ti­me.
In fact the­re we­re so many fe­atu­res of this pla­ce abo­ut which I had pro­mi­sed myself the sa­me thing. We had be­en hur­ri­ed thro­ugh a. pic­tu­re gal­lery and I was su­re my fat­her fo­und the sa­me dif­fi­culty as I did in not beg­ging the ste­ward to call a halt so that we might study the pic­tu­res.
This was li­ke an an­te­ro­om the sort of pla­ce, I tho­ught, whe­re one might wa­it to re­ce­ive an audi­en­ce with a king. This Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le se­emed to li­ve li­ke a king. I won­de­red what sort ef­fa­ce he had. I had a strong fe­eling that it was not go­ing to su­it a mi­ni­atu­re.
Someone had en­te­red the ro­om. I ca­ught my bre­ath. He was the most hand­so­me man I had ever se­en. He was of me­di­um he­ight with light brown ha­ir and eyes; he was ele­gantly dres­sed and his din­ner jac­ket was of a rat­her mo­re ela­bo­ra­te cut than I was ac­cus­to­med to se­e­ing at ho­me. His very whi­te shirt was da­in­tily tuc­ked and his cra­vat was of sap­phi­re blue. A sing­le sto­ne spark­led in it as only a di­amond co­uld.
He bo­wed low and ta­king my hand kis­sed it.
"Welcome," he sa­id in Eng­lish, "I am de­ligh­ted to re­ce­ive you on be­half of my co­usin, the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le. He reg­rets he is unab­le to see you to­night. He will be he­re to­mor­row. You must be hungry.
Would you ca­re to co­me to din­ner im­me­di­ately? It is a small af­fa­ir this eve­ning. We di­ne . a tro­is . very in ti­me . I tho­ught that best on the night of yo­ur ar­ri­val. To­mor­row we can ma­ke ar­ran­ge­ments.
"
My fat­her than­ked him for his gra­ci­o­us wel­co­me.
"I fe­ar," he sa­id, 'that the­re may ha­ve be­en so­me mi­sun­ders­tan­ding and only I was ex­pec­ted. My da­ugh­ter is al­so a pa­in­ter. I find it dif­fi­cult no­wa­days to tra­vel wit­ho­ut her. "
"It is our gre­at ple­asu­re to ha­ve Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son with us," sa­id our host.
He then in­for­med us that he was Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer, a dis­tant co­usin of the Ba­ron. The Ba­ron was the he­ad of the fa­mily . He was a mem­ber of a smal­ler branch. We un­ders­to­od?
We sa­id we un­ders­to­od per­fectly and it was very go­od of Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer to show such so­li­ci­tu­de for our com­fort.
"The Ba­ron has he­ard of yo­ur fa­me," he exp­la­ined.
"As you may ha­ve be­en told, he is abo­ut to marry and the mi­ni­atu­re is to be a gift for his bri­de elect. The Ba­ron may ask you to pa­int a mi­ni­atu­re of his bri­de if..."
"If," I fi­nis­hed bluntly, 'he li­kes the work. "
Monsieur de Mor­te­mer bo­wed his he­ad in ack­now­led­ge­ment of the truth of this.
"He will most cer­ta­inly li­ke it," he ad­ded.
"Your mi­ni­atu­res are well known thro­ug­ho­ut the Con­ti­nent, Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son."
I was al­ways de­eply mo­ved to see my fat­her's gra­ti­fi­ca­ti­on at pra­ise and it was par­ti­cu­larly po­ig­nant now that his po­wers we­re fa­ding. I felt a gre­at sur­ge of ten­der­ness to­wards him.
He was gro­wing mo­re and mo­re con­fi­dent every mi­nu­te- and so was I. One co­uld not ima­gi­ne Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer be­ing anyt­hing but ple­asant and if the gre­at and mighty Ba­ron we­re li­ke him, then we we­re in­de­ed sa­fe.
"The Ba­ron is a con­no­is­se­ur of art," sa­id Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer.
"He enj­oys be­a­uty in any form. He has se­en a gre­at de­al of yo­ur work and has a very high opi­ni­on of it. It was for this re­ason that be se­lec­ted you to do the mi­ni­atu­re rat­her than one of our own co­untry­men."
"The art of mi­ni­atu­re pa­in­ting is the one I think in which the Eng­lish can be sa­id to ex­cel abo­ve ot­hers," sa­id my fat­her, off on to one of his fa­vo­uri­te su­bj­ects.
"It is stran­ge be­ca­use it was de­ve­lo­ped in ot­her co­unt­ri­es be­fo­re it ca­me to Eng­land. Yo­ur own Je­an Pu­cel­le had his own gro­up in the fo­ur­te­enth cen­tury whi­le our Ni­co­las Hil­li­ard, who might be sa­id to be our fo­un­der, ca­me along two cen­tu­ri­es la­ter."
"It re­qu­ires much pa­ti­en­ce, this art of the mi­ni­atu­re," sa­id Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer.
"That is it, eh?"
"A gre­at de­al," I cor­ro­bo­ra­ted.
"Do you ac­tu­al­ly li­ve he­re with yo­ur co­usin, Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer?"
"No... no. I li­ve with my pa­rents... so­uth of Pa­ris. When I was a boy I li­ved he­re for a whi­le. I le­ar­ned how to ma­na­ge an es­ta­te and li­ve er ... com­me Ufa­ut... you un­ders­tand? My co­usin in my pat­ron.
Is that how you say it? "
"A sort of gu­iding inf­lu­en­ce, the pat­ri­arch of the fa­mily?"
"Perhaps," he ans­we­red with a smi­le.
"My fa­mily es­ta­te is small in com­pa­ri­son. My co­usin is ... er ... very help­ful to us."
"I un­ders­tand per­fectly. I ho­pe I am not as­king im­per­ti­nent qu­es­ti­ons."
"I am su­re, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, that you co­uld ne­ver be im­per­ti­nent.
I am ho­no­ured that you sho­uld fe­el such an in­te­rest in my af­fa­irs."
"When we ... when my fat­her is go­ing to pa­int a mi­ni­atu­re he li­kes to know as much as he can abo­ut the su­bj­ect. The Ba­ron se­ems to be a very im­por­tant man ... not only in Cen­te­vil­le but in the who­le of Fran­ce."
"He is Cen­te­vil­le, Ma­de­mo­isel­le. I co­uld tell you a gre­at de­al abo­ut him, but it is best that you dis­co­ver for yo­ur­self. Pe­op­le do not al­ways see thro­ugh the sa­me eyes, and per­haps a pa­in­ter sho­uld only lo­ok thro­ugh his own."
I tho­ught: I ha­ve as­ked too many qu­es­ti­ons, and I can see that Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer is the so­ul of disc­re­ti­on. But to­u­j­o­urs la po­li­tes­se A go­od old French sa­ying. He is right. We must dis­co­ver this all-impor­tant Ba­ron for our­sel­ves.
My fat­her tur­ned the con­ver­sa­ti­on to the cast­le. He ob­vi­o­usly felt that wo­uld be a sa­fe su­bj­ect.
We had be­en right in thin­king that the ori­gi­nal struc­tu­re da­ted back to so­me ti­me be­fo­re 1066. Then it had be­en a fort­ress with lit­tle mo­re than sle­eping qu­ar­ters for the de­fen­ders and the rest equ­ip­ped for figh­ting off in­va­ders Over the in­ter­ve­ning cen­tu­ri­es it had be­en ad­ded to. The six­te­enth cen­tury had be­en the era of bu­il­ding. Fran­co­is Pre­mi­er had set the fas­hi­on and had bu­ilt Cham­bord and res­to­red and, em­bel­lis­hed whe­re­ver he went. A gre­at de­al had be­en ad­ded to Cen­te­vil­le in his day, but this was ap­pa­rent only in the in­te­ri­or.
Wisely, the Nor­man as­pect had be­en pre­ser­ved out­wardly, which was pro­bably the re­ason why the pla­ce was so imp­res­si­ve.
Monsieur de Mor­te­mer tal­ked ent­hu­si­as­ti­cal­ly abo­ut the cast­le and the tre­asu­res it con­ta­ined.
"The Ba­ron is a col­lec­tor," he exp­la­ined.
"He in­he­ri­ted many be­a­uti­ful things and he has ad­ded to them. It will be my ple­asu­re to show you so­me of the ra­re pi­eces he­re."
"Do you think the Ba­ron will per­mit that?"
"I am su­re he will. He will be gra­ti­fi­ed by yo­ur in­te­rest."
"I am a lit­tle con­cer­ned as to whe­re I shall pa­int the mi­ni­atu­re," sa­id my fat­her.
"Ah yes, in­de­ed. The Ba­ron has emp­lo­yed ar­tists he­re be­fo­re. He un­ders­tands abo­ut the light which will be ne­eded. Pre­vi­o­usly the work has be­en exe­cu­ted in what we call the Suns­hi­ne Ro­om. That is a ro­om we ha­ve he­re in that part of the cast­le which is the most mo­dern, by which I me­an it is se­ven­te­enth-cen­tury. It was bu­ilt to let in the sun on all si­des. It is high and the­re are win­dows in the ro­of. You will see it to­mor­row. I think it will ple­ase."
"It so­unds ide­al," I sa­id.
We tal­ked de­sul­to­rily on one or two ot­her to­pics. The jo­ur­ney we had had, the co­untry­si­de com­pa­red with that at ho­me and so on, un­til fi­nal­ly he sa­id: "You must be ab­so­lu­tely ex­ha­us­ted. Let me ha­ve you con­duc­ted to yo­ur ro­oms. I ho­pe you will then ha­ve a go­od night and in the mor­ning you will fe­el ref­res­hed."
"Ready to me­et the Ba­ron," I ad­ded.
He smi­led and his smi­le was very warn and fri­endly. I felt a glow of ple­asu­re. I li­ked him. I li­ked him very much. I fo­und his per­fect gro­oming not in the le­ast ef­fe­mi­na­te, only very ple­asant. I tho­ught he had a char­ming smi­le and alt­ho­ugh his imp­li­ca­ti­on that we bes­to­wed a pri­vi­le­ge on Cen­te­vil­le by be­ing he­re might not be en­ti­rely sin­ce­re, it had cer­ta­inly put us at our ease, and I li­ked him still mo­re for that.
It was a re­li­ef to get in­to bed that night. I was very ti­red, for the jo­ur­ney and the ap­pre­hen­si­on as to what we sho­uld find at the end of it had ex­ha­us­ted me so comp­le­tely that I was as­le­ep al­most as so­on as my he­ad to­uc­hed the pil­low.
I was awa­ke­ned by a gent­le tap­ping at the do­or. It was one of the ma­ids brin­ging pe­tit de­j­e­uner which con­sis­ted of cof­fee, rolls of crusty bre­ad with but­ter and con­fi­tu­re.
"I will bring you hot wa­ter in ten mi­nu­tes, Ma­de­mo­isel­le," she told me.
I sat up in bed and drank the cof­fee, which was de­li­ci­o­us. I was hungry eno­ugh to enj­oy the rolls.
The sun was shi­ning thro­ugh the long nar­row win­dow and I felt a ple­asu­rab­le sen­se of ex­ci­te­ment. The re­al ad­ven­tu­re was abo­ut to be­gin.
When I was was­hed and dres­sed I went to my fat­her's ro­om. He had be­en awa­ke­ned when I had, and had enj­oyed his cof­fee and rolls and was now re­ady.
Monsieur de Mar­ni­er ap­pe­ared. He had inst­ruc­ti­ons to ta­ke us to Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer when we we­re re­ady.
We fol­lo­wed him to that part of the cast­le whe­re we had ta­ken din­ner on the pre­vi­o­us eve­ning. Bert­rand de Mor te­mer was awa­iting us in what I cal­led the an­te­ro­om with the pa­in­ted ce­iling.
"Good mor­ning," he sa­id, smi­ling most ag­re­e­ably.
"I trust you ha­ve slept com­for­tably."
We as­su­red him that we had and we­re most gra­te­ful for all the con­cern of our well-be­ing which was shown to us.
He spre­ad his hands. It was not­hing, he told us. Cen­te­vil­le was pri­vi­le­ged.
"Now you will wish to see the Suns­hi­ne Ro­om. Wo­uld you fol­low me."
We we­re de­ligh­ted when we saw it.
It had be­en bu­ilt by one of the Ba­rons who had had an ar­tist wor­king in the cast­le on a per­ma­nent ba­sis.
"Do you think it will su­it you?" as­ked Bert­rand.
"It's per­fect," I told him and my fat­her ag­re­ed with me.
"So of­ten one is ex­pec­ted to pa­int in ro­oms which are qu­ite ina­de­qu­ate," he sa­id.
"This will be just what we ne­ed."
"Perhaps you wo­uld li­ke to ar­ran­ge ... what has to be ar­ran­ged.
Bring up the to­ols of yo­ur tra­de, as they say. "
I lo­oked at my fat­her.
"Let us do that," I sa­id.
"Then we shall be all in re­adi­ness."
"Shall you start the port­ra­it as so­on as the Ba­ron ar­ri­ves?"
My fat­her he­si­ta­ted.
"I li­ke to talk aw­hi­le with my su­bj­ect first... to get to know him, you see."
"I am su­re the Ba­ron will un­ders­tand that."
"Well, let us pre­pa­re," I sa­id to my fat­her.
"Do you think you can find yo­ur way back to yo­ur ro­oms?" as­ked Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer.
"We ha­ve to le­arn," I rep­li­ed.
"Well, now that you ha­ve se­en the Suns­hi­ne Ro­om let me ta­ke you back.
After that you can find yo­ur own way, per­haps. "
"I shall no­te the land­marks as we pass thro­ugh," I sa­id with a smi­le. to that ro­om. It was what we wo­uld call in Eng­land a so­la­ri­um and was of co­ur­se ide­al for our pur­po­se. My fat­her com­men­ted that everyt­hing was wor­king out splen­didly.
I tho­ught he lo­oked a lit­tle ti­red and I did no­ti­ce on­ce or twi­ce that he blin­ked in the strong light of the ro­om. I co­uld see all sorts of obs­tac­les abo­ut to ri­se be­fo­re us. I co­uld not qu­ite pic­tu­re how we we­re go­ing to pre­tend he was pa­in­ting the mi­ni­atu­re when ac­tu­al­ly I was go­ing to do it. It wo­uld cer­ta­inly be a new and in­te­res­ting way of wor­king. I won­de­red how it wo­uld end.
It wo­uld be dre­ad­ful to pro­du­ce so­met­hing be­low Col­li­son stan­dards on such an im­por­tant oc­ca­si­on.
When we had re­tur­ned to our ro­oms I sug­ges­ted that my fat­her rest for a whi­le. The­re was an ho­ur or so be­fo­re de­j­e­uner and the jo­ur­ney and ex­ci­te­ment of co­ming he­re had be­en a lit­tle too much for him.
I per­su­aded him to lie down and then tho­ught I wo­uld li­ke to lo­ok at the cha­te­au from out­si­de. I put on a hat and fo­und my way down to the hall. The­re was the do­or thro­ugh which we had en­te­red on the pre­vi­o­us night. I went thro­ugh in­to the co­urt­yard.
I did not want to le­ave the pre­cincts of the cast­le so I did not cross the mo­at. I lo­oked ro­und and saw a do­or. I went thro­ugh this anu was in a gar­den. I gat­he­red I was at the back of the cast­le. Be­fo­re me stretc­hed out the un­du­la­ting co­untry­si­de with the wo­ods in the dis­tan­ce. It was very be­a­uti­ful. The gar­dens, which ran down to the wa­ter of the mo­at, had be­en ca­re­ful­ly cul­ti­va­ted. Flo­wers grew in pro­fu­si­on with co­lo­urs per­fectly blen­ded. Our Ba­ron had a fe­eling for co­lo­ur- un­less of co­ur­se he emp­lo­yed pe­op­le to se­lect them for him, which was most li­kely.
I went down to the mo­at's ed­ge and sat down. What pe­ace! I tho­ught of Cla­re at ho­me run­ning the ho­use and Evie far away in Af­ri­ca. I was une­asy and kept as­su­ring myself that the­re was not­hing to be une­asy abo­ut. If the Ba­ron dis­co R ve red that my fat­her co­uld no lon­ger pa­int, and if he wan­ted a Col­li­son, his only al­ter­na­ti­ve was to ta­ke mi­ne. And if he re­fu­sed?
Well, then we sho­uld just re­turn ho­me.
I he­ard fo­ots­teps and tur­ning sharply saw Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer co­ming to­wards me.
"Ah," he sa­id as tho­ugh surp­ri­sed.
"Have you fi­nis­hed yo­ur pre­pa­ra­ti­ons?"
"There is not much to do un­til the ... er ... su­bj­ect ar­ri­ves."
"Of co­ur­se not." He sat down be­si­de me.
"Well, now you ha­ve se­en the cast­le by the light of mor­ning what do you think of it?"
"Grand. Mas­si­ve. Imp­res­si­ve. Over­po­we­ring. I can't think of any mo­re adj­ec­ti­ves."
"Those al­re­ady sup­pli­ed are suf­fi­ci­ent."
He was lo­oking at me ste­adily and I no­ti­ced that his hand­so­me ap­pe­aran­ce had not di­mi­nis­hed with day­light. Rat­her, I tho­ught, was it ac­cen­tu­ated.
"To think of one man ow­ning all this ... it's rat­her stag­ge­ring," I sa­id.
"Not for the Ba­ron. He was bro­ught up to it. He's a sci­on of his fo­re­fat­hers. Wa­it un­til you me­et him, then you'll un­ders­tand."
"Is he. li­ke you?"
Bertrand se­emed very amu­sed.
"I think you wo­uld ha­ve to lo­ok very hard to find a re­semb­lan­ce."
"Oh."
"You so­und di­sap­po­in­ted."
"I am. If he we­re li­ke you I sho­uld fe­el very re­li­eved."
He put his hand over mi­ne sud­denly.
"That is a very ni­ce comp­li­ment," he sa­id.
"It's not a comp­li­ment. It's a sta­te­ment of fact."
He smi­led at me. a lit­tle sadly, I tho­ught. He sa­id: "No, you will find him very dif­fe­rent."
"Please pre­pa­re me."
He sho­ok his he­ad.
"It is bet­ter for you to find out for yo­ur­self.
People see ot­hers dif­fe­rently. You see him for yo­ur­self. "
"That is what you sa­id last night and yet you do gi­ve me cer­ta­in hints.
I ha­ve the imp­res­si­on that the Ba­ron is not easy to ple­ase."
"He knows what is best and he will want the best."
"And his fi­an­cee?"
"Is the Prin­ces­se de Cres­pigny."
"A prin­cess!"
"Oh yes. The Ba­ron is not only one of the we­alt­hi­est men in the co­untry, he is al­so one of the most inf­lu­en­ti­al."
"And the Prin­ces­se?"
"She co­mes from an old French fa­mily with ro­yal con­nec­ti­ons. The fa­mily ma­na­ged to sur­vi­ve the re­vo­lu­ti­on."
"The Ba­ron al­so?"
"The Ba­ron wo­uld al­ways sur­vi­ve."
"So this is the mar­ri­age of two nob­le fa­mi­li­es. One very rich, the ot­her not so rich but ro­yal."
"The Prin­ces­se is con­nec­ted with the ro­yal fa­mi­li­es of Fran­ce and Aust­ria. She will be most su­itab­le for the Ba­ron. The Cres­pigny es­ta­tes co­uld be res­to­red. If an­yo­ne can do that it is the Ba­ron."
"With his im­men­se we­alth," I mur­mu­red.
"It is a use­ful as­set."
"And the Ba­ron is happy with his co­ming mar­ri­age?"
"Believe me, if he we­re not, the­re wo­uld be no mar­ri­age."
"Be ca­re­ful," I sa­id.
"You are be­gin­ning to gi­ve me yo­ur pic­tu­re of the Ba­ron be­fo­re I ha­ve met him."
"You are go­od to re­mind me. My lips are... what you say ... se­aled?"
I nod­ded.
"Now we will talk of ot­her things," he sa­id.
"Yourself?"
"And yo­ur­self?"
Then I fo­und myself tel­ling abo­ut li­fe at Col­li­son Ho­use- the gat­he­rings at Far­ring­don Ma­nor, the vi­ca­ra­ge fa­mily and the Cam­bor­ne twins, of my mot­her's ro­man­tic mar­ri­age and the hap­pi­ness she and my fat­her had sha­red, of her. de­ath, of our luck in ha­ving Evie who had now mar­ri­ed her mis­si­onary and left the cosy pre­dic­ta­bi­lity of our Eng­lish vil­la­ge for the pe­rils of dar­kest Af­ri­ca.
"But she left us Cla­re," I ad­ded.
"She saw to that be­fo­re she went.
Evie was one of the na­tu­ral ma­na­gers of tho­se aro­und her. She lo­oked af­ter us all. every one. "
He lo­oked at me ste­adily.
"I think you are one of the­se ... ma­na­gers."
I la­ug­hed. The? Oh no. I am de­eply in­vol­ved in my own af­fa­irs. "
"I know. Pa­in­ting! For I gat­her that you pa­int too. It me­ans much to you. Are you go­ing to pa­int mi­ni­atu­res li­ke yo­ur an­ces­tors?"
"That is what I sho­uld li­ke to do mo­re than anyt­hing."
"More than anyt­hing. Do you not want a lo­ver ... mar­ri­age ... lit­tle child­ren?"
"I don't know. Per­haps. But I want to pa­int." He was smi­ling at me, and I tho­ught: I am tal­king too much. I hardly know this man. What was it abo­ut him that won my con­fi­den­ce? That in­fi­ni­te kind­ness which I had sen­sed in him from the mo­ment we met; that air of world­li­ness which pro­bably was not­hing mo­re than a mo­de of dress and be­ha­vi­o­ur.
He in­vi­ted con­fi­den­ces and I se­emed to ha­ve gi­ven him far too many. I tho­ught: I will be tel­ling him abo­ut my fat­her's enc­ro­ac­hing blind­ness next.
"It is yo­ur turn to tell me so­met­hing abo­ut yo­ur­self," I sa­id.
"It has be­en the li­fe of so many in my po­si­ti­on."
"I gat­her you spent so­me part of yo­ur child­ho­od he­re."
"Yes, I did. The Ba­ron sa­id he wo­uld ha­ve me he­re to le­arn so­met­hing of li­fe."
"What of li­fe?"
"Oh, how it is to be li­ved he­re in the co­untry ... at Co­urt. That has be­co­me for­mal now with the Emp­ress Euge­nie set­ting the stan­dards. The Ba­ron reg­rets the di­sin­teg­ra­ti­on of the mo­narchy but he is re­con­ci­led to the Se­cond Em­pi­re and sup­ports Na­po­le­on the Third ... not with re­al ent­hu­si­asm but as the only pos­sib­le al­ter­na­ti­ve to re­pub­li­ca­nism."
"Is the Ba­ron of­ten at Co­urt?"
"Quite of­ten. But I think he is hap­pi­est he­re in Nor­mandy."
"Is he a very comp­li­ca­ted man... dif­fi­cult to un­ders­tand?"
He smi­led at me.
"And the­re­fo­re a go­od su­bj­ect for a pa­in­ter. We will see if yo­ur fat­her pro­bes tho­se hid­den depths of cha­rac­ter."
"He wo­uld pro­bably ne­ed a lar­ge can­vas to do that. The mi­ni­atu­re is to go to his lady-lo­ve. It sho­uld the­re­fo­re be ro­man­tic."
"You me­an ... flat­te­ring."
"It is pos­sib­le to be ro­man­tic wit­ho­ut flat­tery."
"I fancy the Ba­ron might not be flat­te­red to be cal­led ro­man­tic. He pri­des him­self on his as­tu­te ap­pro­ach to li­fe."
"Romance is not ne­ces­sa­rily a stran­ger to as­tu­te­ness."
"Is it not? I tho­ught in ro­man­ce one saw everyt­hing thro­ugh a rosy glow."
"That is how my fat­her must ma­ke the Prin­ces­se see the Ba­ron ... thro­ugh a rosy glow. I think it is ti­me I re­tur­ned to the ho­use."
He sprang up and held out his hands. I ga­ve him mi­ne and he hel­ped me up.
He sto­od for a whi­le hol­ding my hands. It was only for a few se­conds but it se­emed lon­ger. I tho­ught how still everyt­hing was; the qu­i­et wa­ter of the mo­at, the tall mas­si­ve walls abo­ut us, and I felt myself ting­ling with ex­ci­te­ment.
I flus­hed a lit­tle and withd­rew my hands.
He sa­id: "Per­haps this af­ter­no­on ... if you are not busy ..."
"We shall not be busy un­til the Ba­ron re­turns," I sa­id.
"Do you ri­de?"
"A gre­at de­al. I hel­ped to exer­ci­se the Far­ring­don hor­ses. The lo­cal big ho­use I told you abo­ut ... They pre­ten­ded I was do­ing them a ser­vi­ce when they we­re so ob­vi­o­usly do­ing me one."
"That's the way to do a ser­vi­ce," he sa­id.
"If it is gi­ven with a re­qu­est for gra­ti­tu­de it is no ser­vi­ce."
"You are right, of co­ur­se. But why do you ask if I ri­de?"
"Because if you say yes, you do, I sug­gest we ri­de this af­ter­no­on. I co­uld show you the co­untry­si­de which might in­te­rest you. Do­es that ap­pe­al?"
"Very much."
"Have you a ha­bit?"
"I bro­ught one with me ... ho­ping ... and not re­al­ly be­li­eving in my ho­pes ... that they might be re­ali­zed so so­on."
He to­uc­hed my arm lightly.
"I am glad you ca­me," he sa­id ear­nestly.
"It is very in­te­res­ting ... get­ting to know you."
Little qu­ivers of ex­ci­te­ment con­ti­nu­ed to co­me to me. I tho­ught what a lo­vely mor­ning it was he­re in the suns­hi­ne, clo­se to the strong walls of the cast­le, the sil­ver spark­le of the wa­ter and this in­te­res­ting and most hand­so­me yo­ung man lo­oking at me with very thinly ve­iled ad­mi­ra­ti­on.
Riding out thro­ugh the be­a­uti­ful co­untry with Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer was an ex­ci­ting ex­pe­ri­en­ce. I lo­ved to ri­de and was very in­te­res­ted to exp­lo­re new ter­ra­in. I was abo­ut to em­bark on an ad­ven­tu­re and I was ad­ven­tu­ro­us by na­tu­re. I felt I was on the ver­ge of dis­co­ve­ring that li­fe was ex­ci­ting; it might be dan­ge­ro­us but per­haps I was of a na­tu­re to enj­oy a spi­ce of dan­ger and the­re­fo­re went to me­et it ins­te­ad of ta­king the ca­uti­o­us li­ne and avo­iding it.
I co­uld not re­al­ly exp­la­in this exul­ta­ti­on which I felt now. I co­uld only say that I was enj­oying this ri­de as I had ne­ver enj­oyed a ri­de be­fo­re.
Of co­ur­se it had its be­gin­nings in this yo­ung man's com­pany. I was mo­re drawn to him than I had ever be­en to an­yo­ne el­se on such short ac­qu­a­in­tan­ce. It was fas­ci­na­ting to talk to him and the lit­tle pit­fal­ls of lan­gu­age in­to which now and then we fell amu­sed us both.
We tal­ked and we la­ug­hed and the ti­me flew by most ple­asantly.
I sa­id to him: "We se­em to ha­ve be­co­me fri­endly in a very short ti­me."
"Time is al­ways too short when go­od things hap­pen," he ans­we­red.
"Life is too short. I tell myself that you ha­ve co­me he­re with yo­ur fat­her who is to pa­int a pic­tu­re and you will so­on be go­ne. How am I to get to know you if I do not do so qu­ickly? How long will it ta­ke to pa­int the mi­ni­atu­re?"
"I can­not say. So much de­pends on how the work prog­res­ses."
"Not long, I am su­re."
"I ima­gi­ne the Ba­ron will want it do­ne with the gre­atest spe­ed."
The men­ti­on of the Ba­ron bro­ught a chill in­to the af­ter­no­on. I must ha­ve be­en enj­oying it so much that I had for­got­ten him.
I didn't re­ali­ze what was hap­pe­ning to me that af­ter­no­on, but it was an enc­han­ted one. I be­gan to be­li­eve af­ter­wards that this was what pe­op­le me­ant by fal­ling in lo­ve so­met­hing which had ne­ver hap­pe­ned to me be­fo­re. I had met very few yo­ung men; I sup­po­sed I had li­ved a fa­irly shel­te­red li­fe. I had cer­ta­inly ne­ver met an­yo­ne in the le­ast li­ke Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer. His outs­tan­ding go­od lo­oks, his ele­gant clot­hes, his de­ter­mi­na­ti­on to do everyt­hing he co­uld to help, his gent­le­ness which ming­led with a cer­ta­in world­li­ness enc­han­ted me. And yet on the ot­her hand I felt pro­tec­ti­ve to­wards him, which was a stran­ge way to fe­el. I didn't know why- but then my emo­ti­ons we­re so mi­xed and so stran­ge to me. I was in the first pla­ce over­co­me with as­to­nish­ment that I co­uld fe­el so strongly abo­ut a man who was al­most a stran­ger.
So na­tu­ral­ly I was ex­ci­ted as we gal­lo­ped ac­ross the me­adow and the cast­le ca­me in­to sight. The wind ca­ught at my ha­ir un­der my hard bow­ler hat and I lo­ved the fe­el of it. I lo­ved the so­und of thud­ding ho­ofs; and he was be­si­de me, la­ug­hing, enj­oying it as much as I did.
Excitement. Ad­ven­tu­re, Da­ring. And Dan­ger . oh, de­fi­ni­tely dan­ger.
To co­me he­re un­der fal­se pre­ten­ces, to work out a de­vi­o­us plan for pa­in­ting a pic­tu­re which wo­uld be mis­ta­ken for my fat­her's work. that was su­rely co­ur­ting dan­ger.
Oh, but it was ex­ci­ting.
Even as we ro­de in­to the stab­les I was awa­re of the chan­ge. One of the gro­oms ca­me run­ning to us.
The Ba­ron had re­tur­ned.
I felt my ex­ci­te­ment im­me­di­ately tem­pe­red by ap­pre­hen­si­on. I lo­oked at Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer. He se­emed to ha­ve shrunk.
The tes­ting ti­me had co­me.
I had not ex­pec­ted it qu­ite so so­on, for as we ca­me in­to the gre­at hall the Ba­ron him­self was the­re.
There was a se­cond or so of si­len­ce whi­le he lo­oked at us. I felt then that my gre­atest fe­ars had so­me fo­un­da­ti­on.
He was an over­po­we­ring man but I had ex­pec­ted that. He was very tall and bro­ad, which ga­ve an imp­res­si­on of bulk rat­her than he­ight. He was dres­sed in dark ri­ding clot­hes which ac­cen­tu­ated the blon­de ness of his ha­ir, which was thick and glis­te­ned in the light which ca­me thro­ugh the nar­row win­dows. His eyes we­re ste­ely grey, his no­se was rat­her pro­mi­nent but stra­ight, and he had a fresh co­lo­ur which ga­ve the imp­res­si­on that he was full of he­alth and vi­go­ur. The­re was so­met­hing abo­ut him which set the alarm bells rin­ging in my he­ad. I sup­po­se I was won­de­ring how we we­re go­ing to de­ce­ive such a man.
He ca­me to­wards us, his eyes on me. His brows we­re ra­ised slightly iro­ni­cal­ly.
"Bertrand," he sa­id, 'why do you not pre­sent me to yo­ur fri­end? "
"Oh," rep­li­ed Bert­rand with a lit­tle la­ugh which co­uld only in­di­ca­te em­bar­ras­sment, 'this is Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col- li­son. "
"Mademoiselle Col­li­son?" He pa­used and lo­oked at me qu­iz­zi­cal­ly.
I had al­ways be­li­eved that when one was on the de­fen­si­ve one must go in­to the at­tack, so I ans­we­red qu­ickly: "I ca­me with my fat­her. He is Ken­dal Col­li­son who is to pa­int the mi­ni­atu­re of the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le."
He bo­wed.
I hur­ri­ed on: "I tra­vel with my fat­her. I can be of so­me use to him."
"I trust they ha­ve lo­oked af­ter you," he sa­id.
"I me­an wit­hin the ho­use­hold. I can see that Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer has per­for­med his duty as host in my ab­sen­ce."
"So," I rep­li­ed, 'you are the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le. I am glad to me­et you. "
"You ha­ve be­en ri­ding, I see."
"While we we­re wa­iting for yo­ur ar­ri­val I tho­ught I wo­uld show Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son the co­untry­si­de," Bert­rand exp­la­ined.
"What do you think of our co­untry­si­de, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son?" His Eng­lish was go­od but his ac­cent slightly mo­re fo­re­ign than that of Bert­rand.
"Very be­a­uti­ful."
"And the cast­le?"
"What was yo­ur desc­rip­ti­on," Bert­rand as­ked, tur­ning to me.
"Impressive. Imp­reg­nab­le. Ma­j­es­tic ..." ;
"I am de­ligh­ted, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. I con­fess I am gra­ti­fi­ed when pe­op­le ad­mi­re my cast­le. I wish to me­et yo­ur fat­her."
"I will bring him to you. He is res­ting at the mo­ment."
He sho­ok his he­ad.
"No mat­ter. I shall me­et him for din­ner. Will you tell him that I wish to start on the port­ra­it to­mor­row mor­ning."
"Tomorrow mor­ning. That's rat­her early. My fat­her li­kes to get to know his su­bj­ect a lit­tle be­fo­re he em­barks."
"He will qu­ickly sum me up, I am su­re. Ar­ro­gant, over­be­aring, im­pa­ti­ent and self-wil­led."
I la­ug­hed.
"You ha­ve a po­or opi­ni­on of yo­ur­self, Ba­ron."
"On the cont­rary, it is very high. Tho­se are the qu­ali­ti­es ne­ces­sary I be­li­eve to enj­oy li­fe fully. Tell yo­ur fat­her to be re­ady to start to­mor­row mor­ning. I do not wish to was­te too much ti­me sit­ting."
I lif­ted my sho­ul­ders and glan­ced at Bert­rand. I sa­id:
"That is not re­al­ly the way in which to ap­pro­ach the mat­ter. It is not simply a pro­cess of put­ting pa­int on ivory or vel­lum or wha­te­ver the sup­port is to be."
"Oh? Then what el­se is in­vol­ved?"
"Getting to know the sit­ter. Fin­ding out what he or she is re­al­ly li­ke."
"Ah, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, I sho­uld not wish an­yo­ne to know what I was re­al­ly li­ke, par­ti­cu­larly the lady to whom I am af­fi­an­ced. The­re are so­me things in li­fe which are bet­ter hid­den."
He was stud­ying me in­tently and I was awa­re of my un­tidy ha­ir which was es­ca­ping from un­der my bow­ler hat. I felt the co­lo­ur ri­se to my che­eks and I tho­ught: He is la­ug­hing at me, whi­le all the ti­me he is put­ting me in my pla­ce, re­min­ding me that we are emp­lo­yed he­re to carry out his wis­hes. I dis­li­ked him im­me­di­ately and I tho­ught: Is this the sort of tre­at­ment we are to ex­pect from the we­althy? Do they re­gard ar­tists as tra­des­men?
I felt de­fi­ant and did not ca­re if I of­fen­ded him. We co­uld go ho­me and he co­uld find anot­her mi­ni­atu­rist to pa­int the sort of pic­tu­re he wan­ted for his fi­an­cee. I was not go­ing to let him tre­at me in this way.
I sa­id to him: "If you want a pretty, con­ven­ti­onal pic­tu­re, Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le, it is not ne­ces­sary to call in a gre­at ar­tist. If you will ex­cu­se me, I will go to my ro­om and tell my fat­her that you are he­re.
He will see you at din­ner and then plans can be ma­de for to­mor­row's sit­ting. "
I felt his eyes watc­hing me as I tur­ned away and went ups­ta­irs.
Then he sa­id so­met­hing to Bert­rand which I did not he­ar.
I dres­sed myself in the gre­en vel­vet for din­ner and at­ten­ded ca­re­ful­ly to my ha­ir, pi­ling it high on my he­ad. I lo­oked slightly ol­der than my ye­ars and the gre­en vel­vet al­ways ga­ve me con­fi­den­ce. I knew I was go­ing to ne­ed it.
I had war­ned my fat­her that the Ba­ron might well pro­ve dif­fi­cult.
"Of co­ur­se, I only saw him bri­efly in the hall. He has a gre­at opi­ni­on of him­self and is inc­li­ned to pat­ro­ni­ze. A rat­her ob­no­xi­o­us cha­rac­ter, I'm af­ra­id ... qu­ite dif­fe­rent from Mon­si­e­ur de Mor­te­mer."
"Ah," sa­id my fat­her, 'the­re is the per­fect gent­le­man. "
I ag­re­ed.
I sa­id: "Fat­her, I don't know how we are go­ing to de­ce­ive this Ba­ron.
It is go­ing to be dif­fi­cult. And if he dis­co­vers what we are do­ing, he will be most unp­le­asant I am su­re. "
"Well, let's lo­ok at it this way," sa­id my fat­her.
"He can only send us back to Eng­land and re­fu­se to ha­ve the mi­ni­atu­re.
If he do­es that it will be be­ca­use he knows not­hing abo­ut art. Yo­ur mi­ni­atu­re will be every bit as ex­pert as anyt­hing I can do. He'll get a Col­li­son, so he'll ha­ve not­hing to comp­la­in abo­ut. Don't worry. If he sends us back . then we shall ha­ve to think what we are go­ing to do in the fu­tu­re."
When we we­re re­ady, Bert­rand ar­ri­ved. He sa­id he had co­me to ta­ke us down.
That was very tho­ught­ful of him. He must ha­ve gu­es­sed that my first en­co­un­ter with the Ba­ron had be­en dis­tur­bing.
"The Ba­ron is so used to ever­yo­ne ag­re­e­ing with him im­me­di­ately," he sa­id by way of exp­la­ining the Ba­ron's man­ner.
"And he cle­arly do­es not li­ke it when they do not."
"I think it is mo­re as­to­nish­ment than anyt­hing el­se. In any ca­se, you can stand up to him. Af­ter all, yo­ur fat­her is the well-known Ken­dal Col­li­son. I think the Ba­ron will ha­ve a gre­at res­pect for him. He re­al­ly do­es ad­mi­re ar­tists."
"And cle­arly do­es not ad­mi­re the­ir da­ugh­ters."
"Oh ... he was qu­ite amu­sed."
"He has a stran­ge way of sho­wing amu­se­ment. In any ca­se I am not su­re that I li­ke be­ing a fi­gu­re of fun."
"You will do very well. Do not let him see ... how do you say it? that he rat­tles you? If he re­ali­zes that he do­es he will try it all the mo­re to dis­co­un­te­nan­ce you."
"A most unp­le­asant cha­rac­ter."
"He wo­uld ag­ree with you on that."
"He's a throw-back to a dif­fe­rent cen­tury from this," I sa­id.
"Fortunately we ha­ve mo­ved for­ward in­to ci­vi­li­za­ti­on."
Bertrand la­ug­hed.
"How ve­he­ment you are. He was not so bad, was he? I think you ta­ke too much in­te­rest in this Ba­ron."
"I ha­ve to ..." I pa­used. I was go­ing to say 'if I am go­ing to pa­int a pic­tu­re of him'. I fi­nis­hed la­mely . 'to help my fat­her. "
My fat­her had co­me out of his ro­om. He lo­oked fra­il and I was fil­led with the ur­gent ne­ed to pro­tect him. If the Ba­ron sligh­ted him in the smal­lest way, I sho­uld de­fi­ni­tely tell the man what I tho­ught of him.
The Ba­ron was al­re­ady in the ro­om with the pa­in­ted ce­iling and with him was a wo­man. I was struck im­me­di­ately by her ap­pe­aran­ce. At first I tho­ught she was a gre­at be­a­uty, but I re­ali­zed as the eve­ning prog­res­sed that she owed that imp­res­si­on to her ges­tu­res, her clot­hes and the man­ner in which she wo­re them, to her po­ise and sop­his­ti­ca­ted man­ners. She was the sort of wo­man who co­uld put on be­a­uty as one might a pi­ece of jewel­lery. It was an il­lu­si­on but a cle­ver one. Her mo­uth was too lar­ge, her eyes too small and her no­se too short for be­a­uty. and yet she exu­ded that so­ig­nee, chic and re­al­ly be­a­uti­ful imp­res­si­on.
The Ba­ron tur­ned to gre­et us. He wo­re a dark blue vel­vet din­ner-jac­ket and very whi­te li­nen. He lo­oked very ele­gant. I felt my gre­en vel­vet was so­mew­hat out­mo­ded, and it no lon­ger did for me the things it did at Far­ring­don Ma­nor.
"Ah," sa­id the Ba­ron, 'he­re is the ar­tist. You are in­de­ed wel­co­me, sir, and we are ho­no­ured to ha­ve you with us. Ni­co­le, this is Mon­si­e­ur Ken­dal Col­li­son and his da­ugh­ter, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. They ha­ve ho­no­ured us . you know for what pur­po­se. Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son and I ha­ve met al­re­ady. Oh bri­efly . too bri­efly. My de­ar Mon­si­e­ur and Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, al­low me to pre­sent Ma­da­me St. Gi­les. "
I was lo­oking in­to that be­a­uti­ful fa­ce. The small dark eyes we­re fri­endly, I tho­ught, and if she ma­de me fe­el ga­uc­he and unat­trac­ti­ve, that was not her fa­ult. I did not dis­li­ke her as I did the Ba­ron.
"Bertrand, I think we sho­uld go in to din­ner," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"Yes," sa­id Bert­rand and ga­ve Ma­da­me St. Gi­les his arm. The Ba­ron to­ok mi­ne.
I was start­led. I had not ex­pec­ted this for­ma­lity, and I fo­und clo­se pro­xi­mity to the Ba­ron so­met­hing which re­pel­led me.
Oddly eno­ugh, I think he knew that I was shrin­king from him and dis­li­ked la­ying my hand even on his co­at sle­eve.
He lo­oked over his sho­ul­der at my fat­her.
"Alas, Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son," he sa­id, 'we ha­ve no lady for you. Well, you are the gu­est of ho­no­ur so that is yo­ur com­pen­sa­ti­on. "
My fat­her sa­id it was a gre­at ple­asu­re to be he­re and the Ba­ron was too kind.
I tho­ught grimly: We will wa­it and see if that is so.
Dinner was an ela­bo­ra­te me­al- mo­re so than it had be­en on the pre­vi­o­us night, but not ne­arly so enj­oyab­le. This was due to the Ba­ron's pre­sen­ce.
The con­ver­sa­ti­on, out of de­fe­ren­ce to my fat­her, ge­ne­ral­ly con­cer­ned art.
"My fat­her was a col­lec­tor," the Ba­ron told us, 'and he ta­ught me to fol­low in his fo­ots­teps. I ha­ve al­ways had a strong ap­pre­ci­ati­on of the cre­ati­ve arts . whet­her it be in li­te­ra­tu­re, sculp­tu­re, mu­sic, or pa­in­ting . I ha­ve al­ways be­li­eved in ab­so­lu­te ho­nesty re­gar­ding them.
I know you will ag­ree with me, Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son. All gre­at ar­tists must. I do not li­ke be­ca­use I am told I must li­ke. A work of art must ple­ase me. I think it is a dis­ser­vi­ce to art to aban­don ho­nesty for the sa­ke of be­ing in the fas­hi­on. I li­ke a work of art for what it me­ans to me . not for the sig­na­tu­re in the cor­ner if it is a pic­tu­re, or on the co­ver of a bo­ok if it is li­te­ra­tu­re. "
I co­uldn't help ap­pla­uding this sen­ti­ment. I wo­uld re­mind him of it if he we­re to dis­co­ver I, a wo­man, had pa­in­ted his port­ra­it- that wo­uld be af­ter he had exp­res­sed ap­pro­val of it, of co­ur­se.
"You are qu­ite right, Ba­ron," sa­id Ma­da­me St. Gi­les.
"I co­uld not ag­ree mo­re."
He lo­oked at her misc­hi­evo­usly.
"In yo­ur ca­se, Ni­co­le, it might be wi­ser to ta­ke no­te of the na­me of the ar­tist ... be­ca­use, my de­ar, I'm af­ra­id you lack the jud­ge­ment to de­ci­de for yo­ur­self Ni­co­le la­ug­hed.
"The Ba­ron is right, you know," she sa­id, lo­oking at me and my fat­her.
"You will find me a comp­le­te ig­no­ra­mus. One vir­tue I ha­ve, tho­ugh. I am awa­re of my ig­no­ran­ce. So many pe­op­le are comp­le­tely ob­li­vi­o­us of the­irs. Now this is a vir­tue, is it not?"
"A very gre­at one," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"Ah, if only ever­yo­ne had yo­ur go­od sen­se."
"But who is to say who­se jud­ge­ment is to be res­pec­ted?" I as­ked.
"There is a sa­ying in my co­untry that " Go­od tas­te is what I ha­ve. Bad tas­te is what ever­yo­ne el­se has who do­es not ag­ree with me. "
"I see we ha­ve a phi­lo­sop­her he­re," sa­id the Ba­ron, fi­xing me with his cold grey eyes.
"Answer that if you can, Ni­co­le, for I can­not at­tack such lo­gic."
Then he tal­ked to my fat­her. We wo­uld start the port­ra­it the fol­lo­wing mor­ning. He was an­xi­o­us to get it comp­le­ted qu­ickly and co­uld not stay long at the cast­le. He had bu­si­ness in Pa­ris.
"A work of art can­not be hur­ri­ed," I sa­id.
"I see now why you ha­ve bro­ught yo­ur da­ugh­ter with you," re­tor­ted the Ba­ron.
"She is go­ing to ke­ep us all in go­od or­der."
"Oh, Ka­te is very use­ful to me," sa­id my fat­her.
"I ha­ve co­me to rely on her."
"Everyone sho­uld ha­ve so­me­one on whom he or she can. rely. Don't you ag­ree, Ni­co­le? Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son? Bert­rand?"
Bertrand sa­id that it was com­for­ting.
Madame St. Gi­les sa­id it was ne­ces­sary.
I sa­id I tho­ught that one sho­uld be self re­li­ant if that we­re pos­sib­le.
"As you are, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, I see. How do you work, Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son? I did so ad­mi­re the mi­ni­atu­re you did of the Graf­von Eng­he­im. I saw it when I was in Ba­va­ria. In fact it was what de­ci­ded me that I wo­uld ask you to exe­cu­te this com­mis­si­on for me."
"The Gra­tis a char­ming man," sa­id my fat­her.
"It was &' very ple­asant stay in the Black Fo­rest. What an enc­han­ting^ pla­ce that is. I shall ne­ver for­get it." j "I li­ked, too, the one you did of the Gra­fin. You ma­de her lo­ok li­ke a prin­cess of ro­man­ce."
"A be­a­uti­ful wo­man ..."
"I tho­ught her fe­atu­res very ir­re­gu­lar."
"An in­ner be­a­uty," mu­sed my fat­her.
"Difficult to de­fi­ne in words."
"But you cap­tu­red it in pa­int. An et­her al qu­ality ... yes. It ga­ve a sug­ges­ti­on of go­od­ness. A lo­vely pi­ece of work. I can tell you the Graf was de­ligh­ted. He sho­wed it to me with gre­at pri­de."
My fat­her be­amed with ple­asu­re.
"I ho­pe that you will be equ­al­ly ple­ased, Ba­ron," he sa­id.
"I must be. I want the best you ha­ve ever do­ne. My Col­li­son must be sup­re­me. I al­re­ady ha­ve one Col­li­son in my col­lec­ti­on. You must see my mi­ni­atu­res. This one da­tes back ... ac­cor­ding to the cos­tu­me ... to the mid-se­ven­te­enth cen­tury. I fancy it was pa­in­ted just af­ter that ti­me when the Ro­und­he­ads we­re ma­king such ha­voc in yo­ur co­untry ... as the mob did for us not so long ago. That mi­ni­atu­re is one of my most highly pri­zed."
"Do you know who the su­bj­ect is?"
"No. It is just cal­led An Unk­nown Wo­man. But the­re is the dis­tinc­ti­ve KC. in the cor­ner. We had dif­fi­culty in fin­ding it but I knew it was a Col­li­son by the style. Ha­ving se­en yo­ur da­ugh­ter, I ha­ve co­me to the conc­lu­si­on that it is a pic­tu­re of a mem­ber of the fa­mily. The­re is a re­semb­lan­ce. Co­lo­uring and a cer­ta­in' he pa­used and I co­uld not re­ad the exp­res­si­on in his eyes 'je ne sa­is qu­oi... But I ha­ve al­ways be­en awa­re of it."
"I very much lo­ok for­ward to se­e­ing that," sa­id my fat­her.
"You shall. You most cer­ta­inly shall."
I was ex­ci­ted by the talk of art and his ob­vi­o­us know­led­ge. I was most eager to le­arn as much as I co­uld abo­ut him and I felt I was not do­ing too badly. I knew that he was ar­ro­gant, rich, po­wer­ful, that he had al­ways had his own way and plan­ned to go on do­ing just that. He was know­led­ge­ab­le abo­ut art and had a re­al fe­eling for it. It wo­uld be al­most im­pos­sib­le to de­ce­ive him, I was su­re. I was eager to talk with my fat­her as to how we sho­uld de­al with this dif­fi­cult si­tu­ati­on and the tho­ught that it wo­uld be­gin the next mor­ning fil­led me with ap­pre­hen­si­on.
When we ro­se from the di­ning tab­le we went back to the ro­om with the pa­in­ted ce­iling. Li­qu­e­urs we­re ser­ved the­re; I fo­und the drink swe­et and ple­asant.
After a whi­le the Ba­ron sa­id: "Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son is ti­red, I see.
Bertrand, you will con­duct him to his ro­om. Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, I see that you are not ti­red. You wo­uld, I am su­re, pre­fer to re­ma­in and chat a whi­le. "
I sa­id that was so, and Bert­rand to­ok my fat­her to his ro­om, le­aving me alo­ne with the Ba­ron and Ma­da­me St. Gi­les.
"Tomorrow," he sa­id, lo­oking at me, "I shall show you my tre­asu­res.
Have you exp­lo­red the cast­le yet? "
"Monsieur de Mor­te­mer has be­en very go­od. He has shown me a lit­tle."
The Ba­ron snap­ped his fin­gers.
"Bertrand has not the fe­eling for the cast­le ... wo­uldn't you say so, Ni­co­le?"
"Well, it is yo­urs, isn't it? He, li­ke the rest of us, is but a gu­est he­re."
The Ba­ron pat­ted Ni­co­le's knee rat­her af­fec­ti­ona­tely. I tho­ught he must be on very fa­mi­li­ar terms with her.
"Well, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son," he sa­id, 'you know how it is. This is my ho­me. It is bu­ilt by my an­ces­tor and is one of the first the Nor­mans bu­ilt in Fran­ce. The­re we­re Cen­te­vil­les li­ving he­re from the early days when Gre­at Rol­lo ca­me har­rying the co­ast of Fran­ce, with such suc­cess that the French King sa­id that the only way to stop this per­pe­tu­al ha­ras­sment is to gi­ve the­se in­va­ders a cor­ner of Fran­ce, which he did. And the­re was Nor­mandy. Ne­ver ma­ke the mis­ta­ke of thin­king we are French. We are not. We are the Nor­se­men co­me to Fran­ce from the mag­ni­fi­cent fj­ords. "
"The French we­re a very cul­ti­va­ted pe­op­le when the

D.

L.

- C sa­va­ge Nor­se­men ca­me in the­ir long ships lo­oking for con­qu­est," I re­min­ded him.
"But the Nor­mans we­re figh­ters, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. They we­re the un­van­qu­is­hed. And Cen­te­vil­le Cast­le was he­re at the ti­me our gre­at Wil­li­am the Du­ke con­qu­ered you Eng­lish and for­ced you to sub­mit to Nor­man ru­le."
"The Nor­mans won on that oc­ca­si­on," I sa­id, 'be­ca­use King Ha­rold had just co­me down to the so­uth af­ter win­ning a vic­tory in the north. If he had be­en fresh for the fight, the vic­tory might ha­ve go­ne the ot­her way. Mo­re­over, you say you de­fe­ated the Eng­lish. The Eng­lish of to­day are a mi­xed ra­ce. Ang­les, Sa­xons, Jutes, Ro­mans . and yes, even glo­ri­o­us Nor­mans. So it se­ems to me a lit­tle misp­la­ced to crow over the vic­tory of Wil­li­am all tho­se ye­ars ago. "
"You see how Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son cor­rects me, Ni­co­le."
"I am de­ligh­ted that she puts for­ward such a go­od ca­se aga­inst you, Rol­lo."
Rollo! I tho­ught. So that is his na­me. I must ha­ve shown my surp­ri­se for he went on: "Yes, I am Rol­lo. Na­med af­ter the first Nor­man to turn this cor­ner of Fran­ce in­to Nor­mandy. His bat­tle cry was " Ha! Rol­lo!
"
And it con­ti­nu­ed to be the Nor­man bat­tle cry for cen­tu­ri­es. "
"It is no lon­ger in use, I trust."
I co­uld not un­ders­tand this im­pul­se in me to at­tack him at every turn.
It was most un­wi­se sin­ce we had to try to ple­ase him; and he­re I was an­ta­go­ni­zing him be­fo­re we be­gan.
But he did not lo­ok disp­le­ased. He was ac­tu­al­ly smi­ling, and it oc­cur­red to me that he was enj­oying the con­ver­sa­ti­on. I was be­ing as unp­le­asant as I co­uld wit­ho­ut be­ing ru­de. How stran­ge that he- who was used to sycop­hants- sho­uld not obj­ect. It must be be­ca­use it was so ra­rely that an­yo­ne sto­od out aga­inst him.
But Ni­co­le was by no me­ans a sycop­hant. Per­haps that was why he li­ked her as he ob­vi­o­usly did.
Bertrand had re­tur­ned.
He sa­id to me: "Per­haps you wo­uld li­ke to ta­ke a walk in the gro­unds be­fo­re re­ti­ring for the night?"
I ro­se with alac­rity.
"That wo­uld be de­light­ful," I sa­id.
"You ne­ed a wrap. Shall I go and get one?"
"Take mi­ne," sa­id Ni­co­le.
"It will sa­ve a jo­ur­ney up to yo­ur ro­om. I don't ne­ed it."
She han­ded me a scrap of chif­fon which se­emed to ta­ke its co­lo­ur from wha­te­ver it co­ve­red. It was de­co­ra­ted with a bor­der of se­qu­in­ned stars.
"Oh.. thank you," I sa­id. "It lo­oks too... pretty. I sho­uld be af­ra­id to harm it."
"Nonsense," sa­id Ni­co­le co­ming to me, and her­self put it ro­und my sho­ul­ders. I tho­ught she was very char­ming.
Bertrand and I went out thro­ugh the co­urt­yard to the mo­at.
"Well, what did you think of the Ba­ron?" he as­ked.
"It's rat­her too big a qu­es­ti­on to ans­wer bri­efly," I sa­id.
"It's li­ke conf­ron­ting so­me­one with the Ni­aga­ra Fa­ils and as­king for an im­me­di­ate opi­ni­on."
"He wo­uld be amu­sed to he­ar him­self com­pa­red with them."
"I wo­uld say he is very cons­ci­o­us of his po­wer and wants ever­yo­ne el­se to be too."
"Yes," ag­re­ed Bert­rand.
"He li­kes us to re­cog­ni­ze that and to do exactly as he wants us to."
"Which is all right as long as it co­in­ci­des with what one wants one­self."
"You are per­cep­ti­ve, Ma­de­mo­isel­le. That is exactly how it has be­en for me so far."
"Then," I sa­id, 'you must be pre­pa­red for the day when it is not. I tho­ught Ma­da­me St. Gi­les char­ming. "
"She is con­si­de­red to be one of the most at­trac­ti­ve wo­men in so­ci­ety.
Her as­so­ci­ati­on with Rol­lo has las­ted for se­ve­ral ye­ars. "
"Her... as­so­ci­ati­on!"
"Oh! Did you not gu­ess? She is his mist­ress."
"But," I be­gan fa­intly, "I tho­ught he was go­ing to be mar­ri­ed to this Prin­ces­se."
"He is. I sup­po­se it will ha­ve to end with Ni­co­le then ... or per­haps the­re will be just a lull. She's pre­pa­red for that. She's a wo­man of the world."
I was si­lent.
He la­id his hand on my arm.
"I'm af­ra­id you are rat­her shoc­ked. Did you not know that the­re was this re­la­ti­ons­hip?"
"I'm af­ra­id I'm rat­her un­worldly. Ni­co­le ... she do­esn't se­em to be up­set."
"Oh no. She al­ways un­ders­to­od that the­re wo­uld co­me a ti­me when he wo­uld marry. He has se­ve­ral mist­res­ses, but Ni­co­le was al­ways the chi­ef."
I shi­ve­red be­ne­ath Ni­co­le's wrap. His hands wo­uld ha­ve be­en on that chif­fon, I tho­ught. I pic­tu­red him with Ni­co­le . sen­su­o­us . cyni­cal . It was a hor­rib­le pic­tu­re. I did not want to pa­int that mi­ni­atu­re.
I re­ali­zed that one co­uld le­arn too much abo­ut a su­bj­ect.
The next mor­ning our or­de­al be­gan. I ar­ran­ged a cha­ir for the Ba­ron whe­re the strong light fell on his fa­ce. My fat­her sat op­po­si­te him.
We had de­ci­ded that the sup­port sho­uld be ivory which had pro­ved to be ide­al sin­ce the be­gin­ning of the eigh­te­enth cen­tury. I sat in a cor­ner watc­hing. I was me­mo­ri­zing every li­ne of his fa­ce: the sen­su­o­us lips which co­uld be cru­el, the rat­her mag­ni­fi­cent high brow and the strong blon­de ha­ir sprin­ging from his he­ad.
He had told us that the comp­le­ted mi­ni­atu­re wo­uld be set in gold and the fra­me sho­uld be stud­ded with di­amonds and sap­phi­res. For that re­ason he wo­re a blue co­at and it cer­ta­inly ac­cen­tu­ated his co­lo­uring; it even put a hint of blue in­to the grey eyes.
My fin­gers itc­hed to hold the brush. I was de­eply awa­re of my fat­her.
He wor­ked qu­i­etly and wit­ho­ut ap­pa­rent ten­si­on. I won­de­red whet­her he was awa­re of how much he co­uld not see.
This mor­ning wo­uld tell us a gre­at de­al whet­her it was pos­sib­le to carry out this plan or not. I was not su­re what sort of mi­ni­atu­re I co­uld do from me­mory or from my fat­her's work. I was su­re I co­uld ha­ve ma­de a su­perb port­ra­it if I co­uld ha­ve go­ne abo­ut it in the nor­mal way.
I wo­uld bring out his ar­ro­gan­ce. I wo­uld cap­tu­re that lo­ok which sug­ges­ted that the who­le world was his. I wo­uld pa­int in a lit­tle of the ani­mo­sity I felt to­wards him. I wo­uld ma­ke a port­ra­it which was ab­so­lu­tely him . and he might not li­ke it.
He tal­ked whi­le my fat­her wor­ked and ma­inly to me.
Had I be­en to the Ba­va­ri­an Co­urt with my fat­her? I told him I had not.
He ra­ised his eyeb­rows as tho­ugh as­king:
Why not, sin­ce you ca­me to Nor­mandy?
"Then you did not see the pic­tu­re of the Gra­fin and her in­ner be­a­uty?"
"I very much reg­ret not ha­ving se­en it."
"I fe­el I ha­ve met you be­fo­re. It must be in the mi­ni­atu­re of the Unk­nown Wo­man. I sud­denly fe­el she is unk­nown no lon­ger."
"I lo­ok for­ward to se­e­ing it."
"And I to sho­wing it to you. How is it go­ing, Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son? Am I a go­od sit­ter? I lo­ok for­ward to se­e­ing the work as it prog­res­ses."
"It is go­ing well," sa­id my fat­her.
"And," I ad­ded, 'we ma­ke a ru­le that no one se­es a mi­ni­atu­re be­fo­re it is fi­nis­hed. "
"I don't know if I shall ag­ree to that ru­le."
"I am af­ra­id it is ne­ces­sary. You must gi­ve a pa­in­ter a free hand to do what he wis­hes. To ha­ve yo­ur cri­ti­cism now wo­uld be di­sast­ro­us."
"What if it we­re pra­ise?"
"That, too, wo­uld be un­wi­se."
"Do you al­ways al­low yo­ur da­ugh­ter to lay down the ru­les, Mon­si­e­ur Col­li­son?"
"It is my ru­le," sa­id my fat­her.
He told me then abo­ut cer­ta­in pa­in­tings he pos­ses­sed not all mi­ni­atu­res by any me­ans.
"How I shall enj­oy glo­ating over my tre­asu­res to you, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son," he ad­ded.
After an ho­ur my fat­her la­id down his brush. He had do­ne eno­ugh for the mor­ning, he sa­id. Mo­re­over, he gu­es­sed the Ba­ron must be ti­red of sit­ting.
The Ba­ron ro­se and stretc­hed him­self, con­fes­sing that it was unu­su­al for him to sit so long at one ti­me.
"How many sit­tings shall you ne­ed?" he as­ked.
"I can­not say as yet," rep­li­ed my fat­her.
"Well, I must in­sist that Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son re­ma­ins with us so that she may di­vert me," he sa­id.
"Very well," I rep­li­ed, per­haps too eagerly.
"I shall be the­re."
He bo­wed and left us.
I lo­oked at my fat­her. I tho­ught he se­emed very ti­red. He sa­id: "The light is so strong."
"It is what we must ha­ve."
I stu­di­ed the work he had do­ne. It was not bad but I co­uld de­tect an un­su­re stro­ke he­re and the­re.
I sa­id: "I ha­ve be­en stud­ying him clo­sely. I know his fa­ce well. I am su­re I can work from what you ha­ve do­ne and what I know of him. I think I had bet­ter start im­me­di­ately and per­haps work al­ways as so­on as he has go­ne so that I ha­ve the de­ta­ils cle­arly in my mind. We'll ha­ve to see how it go­es. It will not be easy to work wit­ho­ut a li­ving mo­del."
I star­ted my pic­tu­re. I co­uld see his fa­ce cle­arly and it was al­most as tho­ugh he we­re sit­ting the­re. I was re­vel­ling in my work. I must get that fa­int hint of blue ref­lec­ted from the co­at in­to tho­se cold ste­ely eyes. I co­uld see tho­se eyes . alight with fe­eling. lo­ve of po­wer, of co­ur­se. lust. yes, the­re was sen­su­ality abo­ut the mo­uth in abun­dan­ce. Buc­ca­ne­er, I tho­ught.
Norseman pi­ra­te. It was the­re in his fa­ce.
"Ha! Rol­lo!" sa­iling up the Se­ine, pil­la­ging, bur­ning, ta­king the wo­men . oh yes, cer­ta­inly ta­king the wo­men . and ta­king the land . bu­il­ding strong cast­les and hol­ding them aga­inst all who ca­me aga­inst him.
I don't think I ever enj­oyed pa­in­ting an­yo­ne as much as I enj­oyed pa­in­ting him. It was be­ca­use of the unu­su­al met­hod, I sus­pec­ted; and be­ca­use I had a strong fe­eling of dis­li­ke for him. It was a gre­at help to fe­el strongly abo­ut the su­bj­ect. It se­emed to bre­at­he li­fe in­to the pa­int.
My fat­her watc­hed me whi­le I wor­ked.
I la­id down my brush at length.
"Oh, Fat­her," I sa­id.
"I do want this to be a gre­at suc­cess. I want to de­lu­de him. I want him to ha­ve the Col­li­son of all Col­li­sons."
"If only we can work this to­get­her ..." sa­id my fat­her, his fa­ce bre­aking up in a help­less sort of way which ma­de me want to rock him in my arms.
What a tra­gedy! To be a gre­at ar­tist and unab­le to pa­int!
It was a go­od mor­ning's work and I was very ple­ased with it.
After de­j­e­uner which my fat­her and I to­ok alo­ne as Bert­rand had be­en sum­mo­ned to go off so­mew­he­re with the Ba­ron and Ni­co­le, I sug­ges­ted that my fat­her ta­ke a rest. He lo­oked ti­red and I knew that the mor­ning's work had be­en mo­re than a stra­in on his eyes.
I con­duc­ted him to his ro­om, set­tled him on his bed and then, ta­king a sketch-pad with me as I of­ten did, I went out.
I went down to the mo­at and sat the­re. I tho­ught of how Bert­rand and I had co­me he­re and how we had tal­ked and what a ple­asant day it had be­en. I ho­ped we sho­uld see mo­re of each ot­her. He was so dif­fe­rent from the Ba­ron- so kind and gen Ie. I co­uld not un­ders­tand why wo­men li­ke Ni­co­le co­uld de­me­an them­sel­ves as she had do­ne for the sa­ke of men li­ke the Ba­ron. I fo­und him far from at­trac­ti­ve. Of co­ur­se he had gre­at po­wer and po­wer was sa­id to be ir­re­sis­tib­le to so­me wo­men.
Personally I ha­ted all that ar­ro­gan­ce. The mo­re I saw of the Ba­ron the bet­ter I li­ked Bert­rand. It se­emed to me that he had all the gra­ces.
He was ele­gant, char­ming and abo­ve all kindly and tho­ught­ful for ot­hers-qu­ali­ti­es en­ti­rely lac­king in the mighty Ba­ron. Bert­rand's task had be­en to put us at our ease on our ar­ri­val and this he had do­ne with such per­fec­ti­on that we had be­co­me go­od fri­ends in a very short ti­me, and ins­tinct told me that our fri­ends­hip had every chan­ce of de­epe­ning.
While I had be­en thin­king I had be­en idly sketc­hing, and my pa­ge was full of pic­tu­res of the Ba­ron. It was un­ders­tan­dab­le that he sho­uld oc­cupy my tho­ughts as I had to pa­int a mi­ni­atu­re of him in a man­ner I rec­ko­ned no mi­ni­atu­re had ever be­en pa­in­ted be­fo­re.
There he was in the cent­re of my pa­ge- a blo­odt­hirsty Vi­king in a win­ged hel­met, nost­rils fla­ring, the light of lust in his eyes, his mo­uth cur­ved in a cru­el and tri­ump­hant smi­le. I co­uld al­most he­ar his vo­ice sho­uting. I wro­te be­low the sketch "Ha! Rol­lo."
Round the pa­ge we­re ot­her sketc­hes of him . in pro­fi­le and in full fa­ce. I wan­ted to know that fa­ce from every ang­le and in se­ve­ral mo­ods. I had to ima­gi­ne tho­se I had not se­en.
Then sud­denly I he­ard a la­ugh and tur­ning sharply, I saw him. He was le­aning over my sho­ul­der. His hand shot out and he to­ok the pa­per from me.
I stam­me­red: "I didn't he­ar you."
"My grass is thick and lu­xu­ri­ant he­re by the mo­at. I con­fess ... se­e­ing you the­re so ab­sor­bed ... sketc­hing away ... I crept up to see what co­uld be of such in­te­rest to you."
He was stud­ying the pa­per.
"Give it to me," I com­man­ded.
"Oh no. It's mi­ne. Man Di­eu, you are a very fi­ne ar­tist, Ma­de­mo­isel­le.
Ha! Rol­lo. Why, that is mag­ni­fi­cent. "
I held out my hand ple­adingly.
"I fe­el as tho­ugh I ha­ve be­en strip­ped ba­re," he sa­id ac­cu­singly, but his eyes had lost the­ir ste­ely grey. He was amu­sed and ple­ased.
"I did not re­ali­ze that you knew me so well," he went on.
"And to draw this wit­ho­ut a mo­del! Why, you are a dra­ughts man Ma­de­mo­isel­le. I of­ten say that the re­ason so many ar­tists to­day are me­di­oc­re is be­ca­use they ne­ver le­ar­ned how to draw. How did you co­me to know me so well?"
"I don't know you. I know a lit­tle of yo­ur fa­ce. But I was with you this mor­ning du­ring the sit­ting."
"I no­ti­ced how you kept yo­ur gim­let eye on me. Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son'ji­oy sho­uld be pa­in­ting a mi­ni­atu­re of me."
"That is for my fat­her," I sa­id.
"You can dest­roy that pa­per."
"Destroy it! Ne­ver! It's too go­od for that. I shall ke­ep it. It will al­ways re­mind me of you, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. I ha­ve so­met­hing el­se to re­mind me too. The mi­ni­atu­re of which I was tel­ling you. You must see it. I can't wa­it any lon­ger to show it to you."
He held out a hand to help me to my fe­et.
I sa­id: "My fat­her is res­ting. I tho­ught he sho­uld do so."
"Well, af­ter a trying mor­ning ..." he sa­id al­most misc­hi­evo­usly.
"Now you and I will go and see the mi­ni­atu­res, shall we? I re­fu­se to wa­it a mo­ment lon­ger be­fo­re sho­wing you yo­ur do­ub­le."
I went with him in­to the cast­le. He was car­rying my sketch-pad.
Fortunately the­re was not­hing el­se on it but a few sketc­hes of tre­es and the mo­at.
He to­ok me to a part of the cast­le whe­re I had not be­en be­fo­re.
"This sec­ti­on was res­to­red in the mid-eigh­te­enth cen­tury," he told me.
"It's rat­her ele­gant, don't you think?"
I ag­re­ed it was.
"Entirely French," I com­men­ted, and I co­uld not help ad­ding: "Rat­her dif­fe­rent from the com­pa­ra­ti­vely cru­de as­pect of Nor­man arc­hi­tec­tu­re."
"Precisely," he rep­li­ed, 'but lac­king the an­ti­qu­ity. Why, it is not a hund­red ye­ars old yet. So mo­dern! But a fi­ne pi­ece of arc­hi­tec­tu­re all the sa­me. What do you think of the fur­ni­tu­re? It was ma­de by Go­ur­din and Blanc­hard Ga­mi­er. "
"Delightful," I sa­id.
"Come with me." He ope­ned a do­or and we we­re in a small cham­ber, the ce­iling of which was pa­in­ted with a ce­les­ti­al sce­ne. An­gels flo­ated ac­ross a he­aven of ex­qu­isi­te blue dot­ted with gol­den stars.
The walls we­re pa­nel­led and on the­se hung the mi­ni­atu­res. The­re must ha­ve be­en abo­ut fifty of them and they we­re all ex­qu­isi­te and of gre­at va­lue. They we­re of all pe­ri­ods da­ting back to the early fo­ur­te­enth cen­tury and many of them we­re on sup­ports of vel­lum and parch­ment, me­tal, sla­te and wo­od which was lar­gely used at that ti­me.
"They are be­a­uti­ful," I cri­ed.
"I think so too. It's a de­light­ful exp­res­si­on of art. Mo­re dif­fi­cult to exe­cu­te, I ima­gi­ne, than a lar­ge can­vas. The ar­tist must be rest­ric­ted. You must ha­ve very ke­en eyes for such work." He he­si­ta­ted and my he­art star­ted to be­at very fast. For a mo­ment I tho­ught: He knows! Then he went on: "I sho­uld ha­ve li­ked to be a pa­in­ter myself, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. I lo­ve art. I un­ders­tand it. I can cri­ti­ci­ze it... see what is wrong ... even fe­el I know how it sho­uld ha­ve be­en do­ne... but I can't pa­int. That's rat­her a tra­gedy, don't you think?"
"You are an ar­tist man­que," I sa­id.
"Yes, I do think that is rat­her sad. It's bet­ter I think to be born wit­ho­ut the ur­ge to pa­int than to ha­ve it and not be ab­le to use it."
"I knew you wo­uld un­ders­tand. I lack the di­vi­ne spark. Is that what it is? I co­uld mix the pa­ints. I ha­ve an eye for co­lo­ur ... but alas, the spi­rit which ma­kes pa­in­ting gre­at is lac­king, But let me show you my Unk­nown Wo­man."
He to­ok me to it, and I was start­led. It co­uld ha­ve be­en a pa­in­ting of me. The red­dish tint in the fi­ne abun­dant ha­ir es­ca­ping from the jewel­led sno­od which held it. the tawny eyes . the firm chin . they might well ha­ve be­en mi­ne. The Unk­nown Wo­man was dres­sed in gre­en vel­vet and the co­lo­ur of the dress bro­ught out this stri­king tint in her ha­ir.
He la­id a hand on my sho­ul­der. The­re! Now you see what I me­an. "
"It's ext­ra­or­di­nary," I ag­re­ed.
"And it re­al­ly is a Col­li­son?"
He nod­ded.
"Nobody knows which one. You ti­re­so­me pe­op­le al­ways call yo­ur­sel­ves K.
If only you had had a va­ri­ety of ini­ti­als what a lot of tro­ub­le you wo­uld ha­ve sa­ved."
I co­uldn't stop lo­oking at the pic­tu­re.
"It's al­ways be­en a fa­vo­uri­te of mi­ne," he sa­id.
"Now I ne­ed no lon­ger call it the Unk­nown Wo­man. It now has a na­me for me: Ma­de­mo­isel­le Ka­te Col­li­son."
"Have you had it long?"
"It has al­ways be­en in the fa­mily col­lec­ti­on for as long as I can re­mem­ber. I think in the past one of my an­ces­tors must ha­ve be­en on very fri­endly terms with one of yo­urs. Why ot­her­wi­se sho­uld he ha­ve wan­ted a mi­ni­atu­re of the lady? It's a very in­te­res­ting tho­ught, don't you ag­ree?"
"It co­uld ha­ve co­me in­to his pos­ses­si­on in so­me ot­her way. You don't know the iden­tity of se­ve­ral of the pe­op­le port­ra­yed, I am su­re. It is cer­ta­inly a col­lec­ti­on you can be pro­ud of."
"I shall ho­pe to add two mo­re to it shortly."
"I tho­ught the one... my fat­her was pa­in­ting was for yo­ur bri­de elect."
"It is. But she will li­ve he­re, and our two mi­ni­atu­res will be hung si­de by si­de on this wall."
I nod­ded.
"I ho­pe," he went on, 'that I shall ha­ve the ple­asu­re of sho­wing you ot­her tre­asu­res of mi­ne. I ha­ve so­me fi­ne pic­tu­res as well as fur­ni­tu­re. You are an ar­tist, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. Oh for­tu­na­te Ma­de­mo­isel­le Co­Hi­son . a re­al ar­tist. not an ar­tist man­que such as I am. "
"I am su­re you are the last per­son to fe­el sorry for yo­ur­self.
Therefore you can­not ex­pect ot­her pe­op­le to be. "
"Why so?"
"Well, you hap­pen to think you are the most im­por­tant per­son not only in Nor­mandy but thro­ug­ho­ut the en­ti­re co­untry, I ima­gi­ne."
"Is that how you see me?"
"Oh no," I sa­id.
"It is how you see yo­ur­self. Thank you for sho­wing me the mi­ni­atu­res.
They are most in­te­res­ting ... Now I think I sho­uld re­turn to my ro­om.
It is ti­me to dress for din­ner."
The days which fol­lo­wed we­re the most ex­ci­ting of my li­fe- up to that ti­me. I had ma­de two dis­co­ve­ri­es which co­uld not be de­ni­ed- one sad, the ot­her ex­hi­la­ra­ting be­yond my ex­pec­ta­ti­ons. My fat­her wo­uld not be ab­le to pa­int mi­ni­atu­res aga­in. I co­uld see cle­arly that the ne­ces­sary deft­ness of to­uch had de­ser­ted him. He co­uld not see well eno­ugh, and to be the smal­lest frac­ti­on of an inch out of pla­ce in such a small area co­uld chan­ge a fe­atu­re en­ti­rely. He might go to lar­ger can­va­ses for a whi­le but in ti­me even that wo­uld be over for him. The ot­her dis­co­very was that I was a pa­in­ter worthy of the na­me of Col­li­son. I co­uld put tho­se ini­ti­als on my mi­ni­atu­res and no­ne wo­uld be ab­le to qu­es­ti­on the fact that they had not be­en do­ne by a gre­at ar­tist.
I co­uld not wa­it to get to work every mor­ning. I don't know how I sat thro­ugh tho­se ses­si­ons whi­le my fat­her wor­ked and the Ba­ron sat the­re smi­ling a rat­her enig­ma­tic smi­le, ma­king li­vely con­ver­sa­ti­on with me or so­me­ti­mes lap­sing in­to what se­emed li­ke a bro­oding si­len­ce.
I wo­uld dash to the dra­wer in which I kept my work and ta­ke out that pic­tu­re. It was gro­wing un­der my hands; it la­ug­hed at me; it moc­ked me; it was cru­el; it was amu­sed; it sug­ges­ted po­wer and an im­men­se ruth­les­sness. I had cap­tu­red this man and shut him up in my mi­ni­atu­re.
To ha­ve bro­ught all this in­to such a small spa­ce was an ac­hi­eve­ment, I knew.
My fat­her gas­ped when he saw it and sa­id he had ne­ver se­en anyt­hin­gof­mi­ne-or his for that mat­ter-to equ­al it.
I be­gan to think that this way of wor­king was per­haps mo­re re­war­ding than con­ven­ti­onal sit­tings. I felt I knew the man. I co­uld al­most fol­low his tho­ughts. My ex­ci­te­ment was so in­ten­se that I wo­uld find myself ga­zing at him du­ring me­als or whe­ne­ver I was in his com­pany.
Several ti­mes he ca­ught me at it; then he ga­ve me one of tho­se enig­ma­ti­cal smi­les.
What stran­ge days they we­re! I felt as tho­ugh I had step­ped out­si­de the li­fe I had known in­to a dif­fe­rent world. The Far­ring­dons, the Me­adows, the Cam­bor­nes se­emed mi­les away . on anot­her pla­net al­most.
This co­uld not last, of co­ur­se. I think per­haps it owed its fas­ci­na­ti­on to the fact that it was ine­vi­tably tran­si­ent.
I sho­uld go away from he­re. For­get the Ba­ron who had ob­ses­sed me all the­se days; but the ti­me I had spent he­re wo­uld in a way be ca­ught up and imp­ri­so­ned in the mi­ni­atu­re.
Then the­re was Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer. Our fri­ends­hip was prog­res­sing at unu­su­al spe­ed. It was a gre­at joy to be with him. We ro­de to­get­her of­ten. He desc­ri­bed the fa­mily es­ta­te which was si­tu­ated so­uth of Pa­ris.
"Not a big one," he sa­id.
"Nothing li­ke Cen­te­vil­le ... but it is ple­asant... with the Lo­ire clo­se by and all tho­se be­a­uti­ful cast­les to ma­ke one fe­el pro­ud every ti­me one catc­hes a glimp­se of them."
"I sho­uld lo­ve to see them."
"They are far mo­re be­a­uti­ful than this stark old Nor­man fort­ress. They are bu­ilt for li­ving in, for ce­leb­ra­ti­ons, ban yes, for enj­oying li­fe, not figh­ting for it as they did in this grey sto­ne cast­le. I fe­el so dif­fe­rent when I'm at Cen­te­vil­le. "
"Are you he­re of­ten?"
"Whenever I am sent for."
"You me­an by the Ba­ron?"
"Who el­se? His fat­her set him­self up as he­ad of the fa­mily and Rol­lo has in­he­ri­ted the crown."
"Still, I sup­po­se you co­uld es­ca­pe from the yo­ke."
"Rollo wo­uld frown on that."
"Who ca­res for Rol­lo ... out­si­de the pre­cincts of the Cast­le of­Cen­te­vil­le?"
"He has a way of sho­wing his disp­le­asu­re which can be un­com­for­tab­le."
"Does that mat­ter very much?"
"It's usu­al­ly a prac­ti­cal disp­le­asu­re."
I shi­ve­red.
"Let's talk abo­ut mo­re ple­asant things. How is the mi­ni­atu­re go­ing?"
"Very well, I think."
"Is yo­ur fat­her ple­ased with it?"
"Very."
"I da­re say we shall be se­e­ing it so­on. What do­es Rol­lo think?"
"He hasn't se­en it yet."
"I sho­uld ha­ve tho­ught he wo­uld ha­ve de­man­ded to."
"He do­esn't exert the sa­me po­wer over vi­si­ting ar­tists as he do­es in his fa­mily circ­le, you see."
He la­ug­hed and then was se­ri­o­us.
"Kate," he sa­id- for so­me ti­me he had cal­led me by my Chris­ti­an na­me.
"When it is over, you will go away from he­re ..."
"If our work is ap­pro­ved we shall go to Pa­ris to pa­int the Prin­ces­se."
"But you will go from he­re ..."
"And you?"
"I shall he­ar what I am ex­pec­ted to do. The­re is al­ways so­met­hing.
When Rol­lo asks me he­re it is for a re­ason. He has not yet exp­la­ined that to me."
"Can't you ask him?"
"He has not pre­ci­sely sa­id the­re is so­met­hing. I am me­rely sur­mi­sing the­re is be­ca­use when I am in­vi­ted he­re it is usu­al­ly be­ca­use I am go­ing to be as­ked ... no, told... to do so­met­hing."
"The mo­re I he­ar of the mighty Rol­lo, the mo­re I dis­li­ke him." My lips cur­led. I was thin­king of that gle­am of ac­qu­isi­ti­ve­ness I was go­ing to get in­to his eyes cold grey with a hint of blue ref­lec­ti­on from the co­at he was we­aring.
"He do­esn't ca­re abo­ut be­ing li­ked. He wants to be fe­ared."
"Thank he­aven I am be­yond his sphe­re of inf­lu­en­ce. If he do­esn't li­ke my ... my fat­her's work ... we shall shrug our sho­ul­ders and de­part, ta­king the mi­ni­atu­re with us ... wit­ho­ut the mag­ni­fi­cent di­amond and sap­phi­re fra­me, of co­ur­se ... and per­haps it will be for sa­le in so­me Lon­don jewel­ler's. It wo­uld be rat­her fun to call it Port­ra­it of an Unk­nown Man."
"Yes, I can see that you are not in the le­ast ove­ra­wed by him. He se­es it too. Ever­yo­ne el­se is ... ex­cept Ni­co­le. May­be that is why he is fond ot­her."
"How can he be fond of her when he is go­ing to marry so­me­one el­se? I won­der Ni­co­le stays he­re. Why do­esn't she tell him to get on with his mar­ri­age and simply go away."
"It is how things are in so­me circ­les. No one thinks any the wor­se of Ni­co­le for be­ing Rol­lo's mist­ress."
"I sup­po­se if she we­re the co­ach­man's mist­ress it wo­uld be a dif­fe­rent mat­ter."
"But of co­ur­se."
I burst out la­ug­hing. We both did. The in­cong­ru­ity of the si­tu­ati­on struck us si­mul­ta­ne­o­usly.
We wal­ked arm in arm thro­ugh the gar­dens.
"Things are run dif­fe­rently in Fran­ce from in Eng­land," exp­la­ined Bert­rand.
"We are mo­re for­mal per­haps, but mo­re re­alis­tic."
"More for­mal cer­ta­inly. I sup­po­se Ni­co­le's sta­ying he­re in the­se cir­cums­tan­ces is re­alis­tic be­ca­use it is ac­tu­al­ly hap­pe­ning. But I do think it is ... what shall I say ... cyni­cal."
"Cynical per­haps," he ag­re­ed.
"The Ba­ron," I went on, 'is cer­ta­inly cyni­cal. He thinks this is a per­fectly nor­mal si­tu­ati­on . for a Ba­ron.
"I want this wo­man," he says.
"I no lon­ger want this wo­man. It is ti­me I mar­ri­ed. He­re is a su­itab­le match. Go­odb­ye, Ni­co­le. Wel­co­me, Prin­ces­se, to Cen­te­vil­le."
I sup­po­se it is be­ca­use she is a prin­ces­se that she is so wel­co­me. "
"Undoubtedly."
"And you calmly ac­cept that?"
"I ac­cept it be­ca­use I can do not­hing el­se. Mo­re­over it is not my af­fa­ir."
"You are not li­ke that, Bert­rand, are you?"
He lo­oked at me ste­adily.
"No," he sa­id.
"I am ro­man­tic and I think you and I are ali­ke in so­me ways, Ka­te."
He drew me to him then and kis­sed me; and I was very happy.
People ca­me to stay at the cast­le sop­his­ti­ca­ted pe­op­le from Pa­ris.
In the eve­nings we di­ned in the gre­at hall. The­re we­re no lon­ger the in­ti­ma­te din­ners. The­re was mu­sic, dan­cing and a gre­at de­al of gamb­ling. Bert­rand al­ways so­ught me out at the­se gat­he­rings and we wo­uld talk a gre­at de­al to­get­her. Our fri­ends­hip was ri­pe­ning. I wo­uld lo­ok for him as so­on as I jo­ined the as­sembly.
"He was so kind and al­ways help­ful. My fat­her re­ti­red early on the­se oc­ca­si­ons. He co­uld see even less now than he co­uld when we ar­ri­ved in Fran­ce.
The Ba­ron to­ok lit­tle no­ti­ce of me when he was en­ter­ta­ining his gu­ests, but I con­ti­nu­ed to ob­ser­ve him. My mind se­emed di­vi­ded bet­we­en him and Bert­rand. The cont­rast bet­we­en them grew mo­re and mo­re mar­ked. I tho­ught of them as Be­a­uty and the Be­ast.
Nicole ac­ted as hos­tess, which surp­ri­sed me yet on­ce mo­re. Ever­yo­ne ac­cep­ted her as the mist­ress of the pla­ce.
"It's rat­her li­ke the King's mist­ress," Bert­rand exp­la­ined to me.
"She was the most im­por­tant per­son in Fran­ce."
People of­ten tal­ked to me abo­ut my fat­her. The­se fri­ends of the Ba­ron we­re li­ke him­self, very cul­ti­va­ted and gre­atly in­te­res­ted in art and, as my fat­her's da­ugh­ter, I was ac­cor­ded so­me res­pect.
Bertrand sa­id: "We li­ve dif­fe­rently at ho­me. Much mo­re simply. I want you to me­et my mot­her and sis­ter. I am su­re you will li­ke each ot­her."
I tho­ught that was al­most a pro­po­sal.
On anot­her oc­ca­si­on he sa­id: "In our lit­tle cha­te­au the­re is a ro­om which wo­uld be go­od to pa­int in. It's very light and anot­her win­dow co­uld be put in."
I was gro­wing mo­re and mo­re fond of him and was happy and re­la­xed in his com­pany. I was in a way in lo­ve with him, but I was not comp­le­tely su­re of the in­ten­sity of my fe­elings be­ca­use it was dif­fi­cult to di­rect them away from the Ba­ron and the mi­ni­atu­re. When that was fi­nis­hed, I pro­mi­sed myself, I wo­uld be ab­le to sort out my true fe­elings. At the mo­ment and this was na­tu­ral eno­ugh I was ob­ses­sed by my work, even to the exc­lu­si­on of Bert­rand.
The ti­me was ap­pro­ac­hing now. The mi­ni­atu­re was ne­arly fi­nis­hed.
I glo­ated over it. I was al­most sorry that it was ne­aring comp­le­ti­on.
I felt it wo­uld le­ave a gre­at gap in my li­fe.
One af­ter­no­on when the cast­le was qu­i­et, my fat­her was res­ting and ever­yo­ne el­se se­emed to be out. I went to the ro­om to lo­ok on­ce mo­re at the mi­ni­atu­re and per­haps put one or two fi­nis­hing to­uc­hes if I con­si­de­red they we­re ne­eded.
I ope­ned the do­or. So­me­one was at my dra­wer. It was the Ba­ron and he was hol­ding the mi­ni­atu­re in his hands.
I gas­ped: "What are you do­ing he­re?"
He tur­ned and fa­ced me. His eyes we­re shi­ning.
"It's su­perb," he cri­ed.
"You sho­uld ha­ve wa­ited ..."
He was lo­oking at me slyly.
"It's not the first ti­me I've se­en it," he sa­id.
"I've watc­hed its prog­ress. The­re is no part of my cast­le that can be clo­sed to me, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son."
He lo­oked down at the mi­ni­atu­re.
"I can't stop lo­oking at it," he sa­id.
"I see so­met­hing fresh every ti­me ... It's she­er ge­ni­us."
"I'm glad you ap­pre­ci­ate it."
He la­id the mi­ni­atu­re down in a man­ner which I can only call re­ve­rent.
Then he tur­ned to me and gre­atly to my dis­may put his hands on my sho­ul­ders.
"The man in the pa­in­ting is ruth­less... po­wer-se­eking... lec­he­ro­us cyni­cal... It's all the­re. But the­re is one thing he is not, Ma­de­mo­isel­le, and that is a fo­ol. Wo­uld you ag­ree?"
"Of co­ur­se."
"Then do not go on be­li­eving that you de­ce­ived me for one mo­ment. I knew what was hap­pe­ning from the first mor­ning. What is it? Yo­ur fat­her's eyes? Or ha­ve his hands be­co­me uns­te­ady? He was a gre­at ar­tist on­ce. It is be­co­ming cle­ar to me why you ca­me with him.

"I

always go with my fat­her," he sa­id, imi­ta­ting me."
"But I was not at the Ba­va­ri­an Co­urt. I was not in Italy with him. No.
It is only to Cen­te­vil­le that I al­ways co­me." De­ar Ma­de­mo­isel­le, I do not li­ke to be de­ce­ived, but I will for­gi­ve a go­od ar­tist a gre­at de­al.
"
"You are right," I sa­id.
"That is my work. And now you are go­ing to find fa­ult with it and say that a wo­man can­not pa­int li­ke a man and that alt­ho­ugh this mi­ni­atu­re is to­le­rably go­od, it is not worth the pri­ce you ag­re­ed to pay ..."
"Are you a lit­tle hyste­ri­cal, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son?"
"I am ne­ver hyste­ri­cal' " My con­fi­den­ce in the Eng­lish is res­to­red. I ha­ve al­ways he­ard they are so calm in any cri­sis. Now . you are de­ce­iving yo­ur­self as you at­temp­ted to de­ce­ive me. I ad­mi­re yo­ur sex.
There are many things you do . di­vi­nely. Whe­re sho­uld we be wit­ho­ut yo­ur sex? And I see no re­ason why a wo­man sho­uld not be gi­ven cre­dit for her pa­ini­ing as well as all the ot­her gifts she bes­tows on us for our joy and our com­fort. "
"Then you ac­cept the mi­ni­atu­re?"
"Mademoiselle Col­li­son, I wo­uld not part with this mi­ni­atu­re for anyt­hing."
"I tho­ught it was to be pre­sen­ted to yo­ur fi­an­cee."
"To be bro­ught back he­re and pla­ced in my cast­le. I shall put it next to my lady with the ha­zel eyes and tawny ha­ir, she who was an unk­nown lady to me and is now so no mo­re. Ma­de­mo­isel­le, I am as you po­in­ted out an ar­tist man­que, but I know what is go­od art and let me tell you, you are a gre­at ar­tist."
I felt te­ars in my eyes and was as­ha­med of them. The last thing I wan­ted to do be­fo­re this man was show emo­ti­on.
I stam­me­red: "I am so ple­ased ... that you ca­re for the mi­ni­atu­re."
"Sit down," he com­man­ded, 'and tell me what is wrong with yo­ur fat­her.
"
"It is his eyes. He has a ca­ta­ract for­ming."
"That's a tra­gedy," he sa­id with ge­nu­ine fe­eling.
"And so you ca­me he­re to do his work for him."
"I knew I co­uld do it and that you wo­uld get va­lue for yo­ur mo­ney."
"Indeed. I ha­ve that. But why did you not exp­la­in? Why set up this ri­di­cu­lo­us cha­ra­de?"
"Because you wo­uld ne­ver ha­ve ac­cep­ted a wo­man. You wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught, be­ca­use of my sex, I co­uld not be as go­od as a man."
"Yet I knew all the ti­me and I think I am go­ing to be as pro­ud of this mi­ni­atu­re as of any in my col­lec­ti­on."
"You ... are mo­re en­ligh­te­ned than most pe­op­le."
R
"Hurrah! I ha­ve fo­und fa­vo­ur in yo­ur sight at last! All tho­se sketc­hes you did of me ... they are ex­cel­lent. Per­haps so­me day you will pa­int a full-length port­ra­it, eh? I very much li­ked the win­ged hel­met.
Done with a lit­tle irony, eh? How many sketc­hes ha­ve you of me, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col- li­son? "
"I wan­ted to get as many as­pects of yo­ur fa­ce as pos­sib­le and weld them in­to one. I did not want to miss anyt­hing."
"There spe­aks my gre­at ar­tist." He pic­ked up the mi­ni­atu­re aga­in.
"It's not exactly a hand­so­me fa­ce, is it? Not exactly a kindly fa­ce.
There's cru­elty in it. and all tho­se unp­le­asant cha­rac­te­ris­tics which alas you ha­ve dis­co­ve­red. "
"It is a port­ra­it of you. Ba­ron, not of Prin­ce Char­ming."
"Ah, you wo­uld ha­ve to get Bert­rand to po­se for that. As this is to go to my fi­an­cee I think I shall call it " The De­mon Lo­ver'. Do you think that ap­prop­ri­ate? "
"Perhaps," I sa­id as co­ol­ly as I co­uld.
"But you wo­uld know best abo­ut that."
I was flus­hing a lit­tle. I felt he knew too much abo­ut me, and whi­le I had be­en ob­ser­ving him I had not go­ne un­no­ti­ced in his eyes.
"Now," he went on, 'what are you go­ing to do? "
"I shall go to yo­ur Prin­ces­se if you wish me to."
"I me­an af­ter that."
"We shall go ho­me."
"And then? Yo­ur fat­her can­not con­ti­nue with his work, can he?"
"He is ca­pab­le still of so­me work. It is only the very small and de­ta­iled work which he can­not ma­na­ge."
"I ha­ve a plan. I am go­ing to show the mi­ni­atu­re. Ever­yo­ne wants to see it, you know. They talk of lit­tle el­se. I shall ha­ve a ball and the mi­ni­atu­re will be on show. The Jewel­ler is al­re­ady wor­king on the set­ting. It will lo­ok mag­ni­fi­cent nest­ling in that gold fra­me with spark­ling gems sur­ro­un­ding it. Then ... I am go­ing to tell the truth.
I am go­ing to int­ro­du­ce you as the ar­tist. I will tell the pat­he­tic story of yo­ur fat­her's enc­ro­ac­hing blind­ness . and say that in his da­ugh­ter we ha­ve an ar­tist worthy to ta­ke her pla­ce with her an­ces­tors.
"
"Why?"
"Why? Oh co­me, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. Don't you see? The­se are rich pe­op­le. Many of them will be wan­ting a Ka­te Col­li­son. I ag­ree that the­re might ha­ve be­en pre­j­udi­ce aga­inst yo­ur sex. But yo­ur lit­tle de­cep­ti­on ... alt­ho­ugh it did not de­ce­ive me ... has wor­ked sa­tis­fac­to­rily."
I sa­id: "You will do this ... for us ..."
He smi­led at me qu­iz­zi­cal­ly.
"I will do it for a gre­at ar­tist," he sa­id.
I did not want to stand the­re any lon­ger with that strong light on my fa­ce. I did not want him to know how an­xi­o­us I had be­en and how happy I was sud­denly. And that it was due to him was iro­ni­cal and hard to ac­cept.
I mur­mu­red: "Thank you."
And tur­ning I went slowly out of the ro­om. He did not at­tempt to de­ta­in me. He sto­od still and I felt he was watc­hing me.
When I saw the comp­le­ted mi­ni­atu­re in its jewel­led fra­me I felt it was the gre­atest mo­ment of ac­hi­eve­ment in my li­fe. My fat­her had be­en de­ligh­ted that the de­cep­ti­on was at an end, and that the Ba­ron, far from be­ing an­no­yed, was highly de­ligh­ted, and was go­ing to proc­la­im me as the ar­tist at one of his la­vish gat­he­rings in the gre­at hall of the cast­le.
He had tal­ked to my fat­her, com­mi­se­ra­ted with him on his af­flic­ti­on and cong­ra­tu­la­ted him on ha­ving pas­sed on his ge­ni­us.
My fat­her was hap­pi­er than he had be­en sin­ce the dis­co­very that he was go­ing blind, and it oc­cur­red to me that all this eup­ho­ria had co­me abo­ut thro­ugh the Ba­ron whom I dis­li­ked so he­ar­tily.
He se­emed to ta­ke a de­light now in ar­ran­ging our af­fa­irs. I was to go to Pa­ris and my fat­her sho­uld go ho­me when he left Cen­te­vil­le. The­re was no lon­ger any ne­ed for the de­cep­ti­on. From now on wo­man that I was- I sho­uld be ac­cep­ted as a gre­at pa­in­ter and res­pec­ted in the sa­me way that my fat­her and his an­ces­tors had be­en. He, the Ba­ron, wo­uld ar­ran­ge that.
"Somewhere at the back of my mind I ho­ped it wo­uld turn out li­ke this," sa­id my fat­her when we we­re alo­ne.
"I don't mind lo­sing my sight so much now. You will carry on and the fact that you are a girl is not go­ing to stand in yo­ur way. I fe­el I ha­ve do­ne my duty. It is won­der­ful of him to gi­ve this ... ce­leb­ra­ti­on or wha­te­ver it is ... to la­unch you ... to int­ro­du­ce you. He is such a po­wer­ful man that his word will co­unt for a go­od de­al."
Bertrand re­gar­ded me with so­me awe.
"Why," he sa­id, 'you are mo­re won­der­ful than ever. I sup­po­se I must be mo­re res­pect­ful to you when I spe­ak to you. "
"You must be exactly as you we­re. I can ho­nestly say it was you who ma­de me fe­el so com­for­tab­le and at ease when I first ca­me to work he­re.
That fe­eling is ne­ces­sary, you know, if go­od work is go­ing to be ac­hi­eved."
"Then not­hing has chan­ged bet­we­en us?"
"How co­uld it be?" I as­ked, and he pres­sed my hand warmly.
Nicole ca­me to cong­ra­tu­la­te me.
"The mi­ni­atu­re is qu­ite be­a­uti­ful," she sa­id.
"A won­der­ful pi­ece of work. The Ba­ron is de­ligh­ted."
"He has told me so."
"And he do­es want to ... what he calls la­unch you. He ha­tes to think you may be han­di­cap­ped by yo­ur sex."
"I was re­al­ly surp­ri­sed that he is pre­pa­red to ta­ke so much tro­ub­le," I sa­id.
"I sup­po­se one sho­uldn't..."
She smi­led at me. Jud­ge one's fel­low be­ings? " she as­ked.
"No. One cer­ta­inly sho­uld not ... un­til one knows all the cir­cums­tan­ces- and it is ra­re for one per­son to know all abo­ut anot­her.
Now for the grand oc­ca­si­on. Rol­lo has put me in char­ge of it.
He is go­ing to ma­ke an an­no­un­ce­ment abo­ut you and tell them that you are le­aving for Pa­ris. You will pro­bably find one or two pe­op­le will want to ma­ke de­fi­ni­te ap­po­int­ments with you to pa­int mi­ni­atu­res for them. "
"It is a gre­at op­por­tu­nity, of co­ur­se. My fat­her ..."
"You ne­ed not worry abo­ut yo­ur fat­her. If you are an­xi­o­us abo­ut him the Ba­ron will send so­me­one back to Eng­land with him to lo­ok af­ter him du­ring the jo­ur­ney."
"Would he do that?"
"But of co­ur­se."
"I am overw­hel­med by all this kind­ness."
"When the Ba­ron ta­kes ac­ti­on he is a rat­her overw­hel­ming man. What do you pro­po­se to we­ar for the oc­ca­si­on?"
"I don't know. I ha­ven't many clot­hes with me ... and not­hing in any ca­se which wo­uld match up to the­se smart French so­ci­ety wo­men. I sup­po­se my gre­en vel­vet will ha­ve to do."
"Your gre­en vel­vet is very be­co­ming. Wo­uld you let my ma­id co­me along and do yo­ur ha­ir."
"That is kind. I know mi­ne is in­va­ri­ably un­tidy."
"You ha­ve be­a­uti­ful ha­ir and it is worth a lit­tle at­ten­ti­on."
She smi­led at me se­re­nely. I co­uld not help li­king Ni­co­le. I sho­uld ha­ve lo­ved to talk to her and ask her how she felt abo­ut this ext­ra­or­di­nary si­tu­ati­on. He­re she was, li­ke the mist­ress of the ho­use, and ac­cep­ted as such, when all the ti­me her lo­ver was ma­king no sec­ret of the fact that he was so­on to be mar­ri­ed to so­me­one el­se.
The gre­at day ca­me. I was very ex­ci­ted and so was my fat­her. Ni­co­le's ma­id ca­me to dress my ha­ir and it was ama­zing what she did to me. She bro­ught me a comb with gre­en sto­nes in it, the co­lo­ur of my dress, and when it was fi­xed in my ha­ir, I tho­ught I lo­oked li­ke a dif­fe­rent per­son LO­VER not un­worthy to mix with the so­ig­nee gu­ests be­low. But per­haps that fe­eling wo­uld chan­ge when I mo­ved among them as it used to even at the Far­ring­don Ma­nor gat­he­rings; one's ap­pe­aran­ce se­emed to be ab­le to un­der­go a gre­at chan­ge bet­we­en the bed­ro­om mir­ror and the eyes of the ot­her gu­ests.
However, I had lit­tle ti­me to think of my ap­pe­aran­ce. Ever­yo­ne was ad­mi­ring the mi­ni­atu­re and cal­ling at­ten­ti­on to its ex­cel­len­ce as they dis­co­ve­red so­met­hing fresh which ap­pe­aled to them.
The Ba­ron to­ok my hand and led me up to a da­is. We mo­un­ted the few steps and I sto­od the­re with him on one si­de of me, my fat­her on the ot­her.
He then exp­la­ined bri­efly my fat­her's af­flic­ti­on and the fact that I had pa­in­ted the mi­ni­atu­re. They se­emed to ha­ve no do­ubt that I was a gre­at ar­tist. The­re I was . so yo­ung and ta­len­ted. He was cer­ta­in that be­fo­re the end of my li­fe I was go­ing to be the gre­atest Col­li­son of them all.
People ca­me up to cong­ra­tu­la­te me. I had to pro­mi­se on the spot that as so­on as I was free I wo­uld go to the ho­use of Ma­da­me Du­pont to pa­int her two da­ugh­ters. It was a de­fi­ni­te com­mis­si­on. A Mon­si­e­ur Vil­lef­ranc­he ma­de me pro­mi­se to co­me and pa­int his wi­fe.
It was tri­umph such as my fat­her and I had ne­ver dre­amed of.
The Ba­ron was smi­ling with a fa­intly prop­ri­eto­ri­al air. He was ob­vi­o­usly de­ligh­ted with the re­ac­ti­on of his gu­ests.
When the mu­si­ci­ans be­gan to play a waltz he se­ized me and swept me off my fe­et "Do you dan­ce as well as you pa­int, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son?" he as­ked.
He was smi­ling. He­re was a new as­pect of him. He was re­al­ly qu­ite ple­ased by my suc­cess. I had not tho­ught him ca­pab­le of fe­eling ple­asu­re for ot­her pe­op­le, but I sup­po­sed that as a lo­ver of art he was so de­ligh­ted with the mi­ni­atu­re and the­re was al­so a go­od de­al of gra­ti­fi­ca­ti­on be­ca­use he had be­en awa­re of the de­cep­ti­on from the be­gin­ning.
I tri­ed to ke­ep up with him but his dan­cing was a trif­le er­ra­tic. He had a trick of lif­ting me off my fe­et so that I felt as tho­ugh I we­re flying thro­ugh the air.
"A suc­ces­sful eve­ning, eh?" he sa­id.
"The start of a gre­at ca­re­er. My bles­sings on you."
"I ha­ve to thank you," I sa­id.
"We are fri­ends at last. Is that not char­ming?"
I sa­id it was.
The dan­ce ca­me to an end. He re­le­ased me and a short ti­me af­ter I saw him dan­cing with Ni­co­le.
Many pe­op­le so­ught my com­pany that night. It was my ti­me of tri­umph, and I was yo­ung and inex­pe­ri­en­ced eno­ugh to enj­oy every mo­ment of it.
For me it was over all too so­on.
The fol­lo­wing day co­uld not be anyt­hing el­se but an an­tic­li­max. My fat­her and I we­re to le­ave Cen­te­vil­le on the day af­ter. My fat­her wo­uld go ho­me. The Ba­ron had in­sis­ted that one of his men sho­uld ac­com­pany him. I was to be ta­ken to the ho­me of the Prin­ces­se whe­re I sho­uld be­gin on my mi­ni­atu­re. Af­ter that I co­uld de­ci­de when I wis­hed to exe­cu­te the se­ve­ral com­mis­si­ons which had be­en of­fe­red to me, and I co­uld plan my li­fe from the­re.
I spent the mor­ning pac­king and then to­ok a walk ro­und the gro­unds. I was jo­ined by Bert­rand who sa­id that the Ba­ron was out ri­ding with Ni­co­le and he tho­ught he wo­uld be away un­til eve­ning. On his re­turn he wis­hed to ha­ve an in­ter­vi­ew with Bert­rand.
"It is co­ming now," he sa­id.
"I am to be gi­ven my or­ders. I think he pro­bably wa­ited un­til the mi­ni­atu­re was comp­le­ted be­fo­re gi­ving them to me."
"Perhaps he me­rely wants to say go­odb­ye. You will be le­aving so­on, won't you?"
"I plan to tra­vel to Pa­ris with you and yo­ur fat­her."
"That will be very ple­asant for us."
"I un­ders­tand so­me­one will be ac­com­pan­ying yo­ur fat­her to Eng­land."
"That is that I ha­ve be­en told."
"Then you will ha­ve not­hing to worry abo­ut. How do you fe­el abo­ut go­ing to the Prin­ces­se?"
"Do you me­an, do I fe­el ner­vo­us? The ans­wer is no... not af­ter what hap­pe­ned. The Ba­ron has re­al­ly do­ne a gre­at de­al for me."
Bertrand nod­ded.
"We will me­et when you are in Pa­ris."
"That will be very ni­ce."
"You didn't think I wo­uld let you slip away, did you?" He lo­oked at me ear­nestly.
"Kate, when you ha­ve fi­nis­hed this com­mis­si­on you must co­me and stay with my mot­her. She wants to me­et you."
"I sho­uld li­ke that very much. I'll lo­ok for­ward to it."
"Kate ..." He he­si­ta­ted.
"Yes?"
"There is so­met­hing I ha­ve to say to you."
"Well, I'm lis­te­ning."
"I... er ..." He pa­used.
"I think I he­ar so­unds of ar­ri­val. It may be Rol­lo is co­ming back al­re­ady. He'll pro­bably be wan­ting to see me.
He must ha­ve chan­ged his plans . I won­der what my or­ders will be.
Perhaps we can talk it over la­ter. "
"All right then ... la­ter."
"Au re­vo­ir, Ka­te."
He was smi­ling at me in a rat­her be­mu­sed way. I gu­es­sed what he had in­ten­ded as­king me. It must su­rely be that he wan­ted to marry me. I felt a cer­ta­in ple­asu­re at the pros­pect. I was not re­al­ly su­re. I had be­en li­ving in cir­cums­tan­ces ali­en to everyt­hing I had known be­fo­re.
It was un­ders­tan­dab­le that I sho­uld be af­fec­ted by them and to such an ex­tent as not to be ab­le to ma­ke a so­und jud­ge­ment, I had known Bert­rand such a short ti­me, yet I sho­uld fe­el de­so­la­te if I sho­uld ha­ve to say go­odb­ye to him and ne­ver see him aga­in. And yet. I was so un­cer­ta­in. I was rat­her glad that the Ba­ron had de­ci­ded to re­turn early and so had put off the mo­ment of de­ci­si­on even for a lit­tle whi­le.
It must ha­ve be­en an ho­ur la­ter when Bert­rand ca­me to my ro­om. He se­emed li­ke a dif­fe­rent man from the one I had known. His fa­ce was blotc­hed and his eyes slightly blo­ods­hot. His mo­uth twitc­hed with un­cont­rol­lab­le ra­ge.
"Bertrand," I cri­ed.
"What on earth has hap­pe­ned?"
He step­ped in­to the ro­om and shut the do­or.
"I am le­aving the cast­le at on­ce."
When? Why? "
"Now. Im­me­di­ately. I just ca­me to tell you. I will not stay he­re a mi­nu­te lon­ger than I ne­ed."
"You ha­ve qu­ar­rel­led with the Ba­ron?"
"Quarrelled?" he cri­ed.
"I will ne­ver spe­ak to him aga­in. He's a de­vil... He's wor­se than I be­li­eved him to be... and God knows that was bad eno­ugh. He's a de­mon.
I ha­te him. And he ha­tes me too. Can you gu­ess what he wants me to do?"
"No!" I cri­ed, be­wil­de­red.
He spat out: "Marry! Marry Ni­co­le."
"What?"
"He wants her set­tled com­for­tably ... and he has or­de­red me to ma­ke an ho­nest wo­man ot­her."
"No!"
"But yes. That is what he has just told me."
"How co­uld he sug­gest such a thing!"
"He just did."
"And Ni­co­le?"
"I do­ubt she knows anyt­hing abo­ut the tran­sac­ti­on. That's how it is with him. He ma­kes the laws and ot­her pe­op­le carry them out."
"But how co­uld he sug­gest such a thing. What did he say?"
"He sa­id that now he was mar­rying he wan­ted to find a hus­band for Ni­co­le and he tho­ught that I wo­uld fit the bo­ok very well. He wo­uld ma­ke her an al­lo­wan­ce and one for me and I sho­uld be con­si­de­rably ric­her than I am now. I just let him run on and then I sho­uted at him.
I told him I wo­uld ne­ver marry his cast-off mist­ress. "
"He must ac­cept that."
"He didn't. He sa­id I was a yo­ung fo­ol. I was tur­ning down a go­od of­fer. He wan­ted me to marry Ni­co­le and that was the best re­ason in the world for my do­ing so. He was go­ing to put all sorts of op­por­tu­ni­ti­es in my way. He wo­uld be my ge­ne­ro­us pat­ron ... I kept sho­uting at him that I wo­uld not marry a mist­ress he no lon­ger wan­ted.
I sa­id I had my own plans for mar­ri­age. "
"You ... sa­id that?"
"I did. He didn't be­li­eve me. Then I sa­id: " I'm fond of Ka­te, and I think she is of me. "
"What did he say to that?"
"He was stun­ned for a few se­conds. Then he la­ug­hed at me. He sa­id:
"Nonsense. She'd ne­ver ha­ve you. In any ca­se I sho­uld con­si­der such a match most un­su­itab­le." I lost my tem­per. I re­mem­be­red all tho­se ti­mes when we. my fa­mily . had had to do what he wan­ted. This was the last straw. I went on sho­uting abo­ut his thro­wing his cast-off mist­res­ses at me and that I wo­uld ne­ver marry any of them. Then I went to my ro­om and star­ted get­ting my things to­get­her . "
"Oughtn't you to wa­it un­til to­mor­row?"
"Stay un­der this ro­of! Ne­ver! The­re is an inn not far from he­re. I will go the­re for the night and then to­mor­row mor­ning I'll be wa­iting for you and we'll tra­vel to Pa­ris to­get­her."
"Oh Bert­rand," I sa­id.
"I am so sorry."
"I had to ma­ke a stand so­me ti­me. The­re co­mes a ti­me when it is simply not pos­sib­le to ta­ke any mo­re. You ga­ve me co­ura­ge. He can do me no harm. He might en­de­avo­ur to ma­ke us po­orer ... ne­ver mind that now.
I can get by wit­ho­ut him. Oh Ka­te, in a way I fe­el won­der­ful­ly re­li­eved. I fe­el free. Do you think I was right to act as I did? "
"Absolutely right."
"And don't you think it was a hor­rib­le thing to sug­gest?"
"Despicable."
He to­ok my hands and kis­sed them.
"Kate," he sa­id, 'will you marry me . when we've had ti­me to work things out? "
"Yes," I rep­li­ed.
"I will."
Finally he re­le­ased me.
"I shall be out of this cast­le in a qu­ar­ter of an ho­ur," he sa­id.
"I will see you on the tra­in to Pa­ris."
Then he had go­ne.
I was ap­pal­led by what Bert­rand had told me, and I rep­ro­ac­hed myself for ha­ving felt I li­ked the Ba­ron a lit­tle be­ca­use of what he had do­ne for me. He was ruth­less, cyni­cal and a man of no prin­cip­les.
At din­ner one or two pe­op­le as­ked whe­re Bert­rand was and the Ba­ron sa­id that he had be­en cal­led unex­pec­tedly to Pa­ris.
The next day my fat­her and I left Cen­te­vil­le in the com­pany of one of the Ba­ron's up­per ser­vants.
I felt comp­le­tely be­wil­de­red by everyt­hing that had hap­pe­ned. In a short ti­me I had not only be­en ac­cep­ted as an ar­tist of re­pu­te but had be­co­me en­ga­ged to be mar­ri­ed. I wis­hed that I did not fe­el so une­asy.
Had I per­haps be­en hur­ri­ed in­to ac­cep­ting Bert­rand's pro­po­sal be­ca­use of the Ba­ron's des­pi­cab­le con­duct? Po­or Bert­rand had be­en so dist­res­sed. I had felt I had to com­fort him as best I co­uld. It se­emed to me that the Ba­ron was chan­ging the co­ur­se of my li­fe even if un­wit­tingly, me­rely by be­ing the­re a ma­lig­nant pre­sen­ce.
I was fond of Bert­rand. Of co­ur­se I was. I li­ked what I knew of him, but how well did I know him?
I wis­hed I had not be­en so im­pul­si­ve. I was of co­ur­se ple­ased that our re­la­ti­ons­hip had not en­ded, but was I rus­hing ahe­ad too fast.
I wis­hed I co­uld stop thin­king abo­ut the Ba­ron. It se­emed so stran­ge that a man who had do­ne so much for me co­uld ha­ve be­ha­ved as he had to­wards Bert­rand.
It was for­tu­na­te that I was le­aving the cast­le. When I had dri­ven the Ba­ron from my mind I wo­uld be­gin to see that li­fe was of­fe­ring me a won­der­ful fu­tu­re.
I must ta­ke it with both hands and be gra­te­ful for it.
The Stre­ets of Pa­ris tA­XA"^" I lo­ved Pa­ris from the mo­ment I en­te­red the city, and I pro­mi­sed myself that I wo­uld see as much of it as I pos­sibly co­uld du­ring my stay the­re.
First we saw my fat­her off at the Ga­re du Nord and then Bert­rand, who had ac­com­pa­ni­ed us on the tra­in to Pa­ris, sa­id he wo­uld ta­ke me to the ho­use in the Rue du Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int-Ho­no­re which was the Pa­ris ho­me of the Prin­ces­se de Cres­pigny and whe­re I was to pa­int the mi­ni­atu­re.
I was re­ce­ived by a dig­ni­fi­ed man­ser­vant who beg­ged me to co­me in, so I sa­id go­odb­ye to Bert­rand, who pro­mi­sed to see me wit­hin a few days, whi­le the man­ser­vant sum­mo­ned a ma­id and told her to ta­ke me to the ro­om which had be­en pre­pa­red for me.
It was a mag­ni­fi­cent ho­use, and I was imp­res­sed by the won­der­ful sta­ir­ca­se which wo­und up­wards from the re­cep­ti­on area. It was in­de­ed a small pa­la­ce and from the mo­ment I en­te­red it I was struck by the rat­her sub­du­ed but what, in my opi­ni­on, se­emed the fa­ult­less tas­te of the de­cor. The­re was a gre­at de­al of whi­te- the fa­in­test to­uch of red and a cer­ta­in amo­unt of gold. It ga­ve an imp­res­si­on of unobt­ru­si­ve rich­ness.
We went qu­ite a long way up and I had an op­por­tu­nity of exa­mi­ning the int­ri­ca­te iron­work of the sta­ir­ca­se.
"Madame la Prin­ces­se will see you to­mor­row," I was told.
"We ha­ve inst­ruc­ti­ons to ma­ke you com­for­tab­le and supply what you ne­ed.
Madame la Go­uver­nan­te will see you la­ter. She tho­ught you wo­uld wish to set­tle in af­ter the jo­ur­ney."
R
It was as well that I had imp­ro­ved my French la­tely for she spo­ke in an ac­cent of the so­uth which was not easy to fol­low.
We ca­me to a lan­ding and a do­or was ope­ned. I was in a rat­her lar­ge, ple­asant ro­om. The do­ub­le bed had whi­te lacy cur­ta­ins abo­ut it held back by gold-co­lo­ured bands. The ori­en­tal car­pets we­re sub­du­ed in co­lo­ur pinks, blu­es and pas­tel sha­des; the­re we­re se­ve­ral pi­eces of fur­ni­tu­re in the Lo­u­is Qu­ator­ze or Qu­in­ze pe­ri­od highly po­lis­hed and ext­re­mely ele­gant.
The ma­id as­ked if I wo­uld li­ke hot wa­ter with which to wash and I sa­id gra­te­ful­ly that I wo­uld Whi­le I was wa­iting I went ro­und the ro­om exa­mi­ning its con­tents. How dif­fe­rent from the cast­le at Cen­te­vil­le!
I won­de­red if this ele­gant ho­use ref­lec­ted the per­so­na­lity of the Prin­ces­se as the cast­le cer­ta­inly did that of its ow­ner. Even at this mo­ment my tho­ughts went back to him. What im­pu­den­ce to at­tempt to pass off his dis­car­ded mist­ress to Bert­rand. I was glad Bert­rand had sto­od up to him so fi­er­cely. It had just ta­ken that to turn me im­pul­si­vely to­wards him.
When he be­ca­me so angry he se­emed to be­co­me a man I co­uld ad­mi­re strong, de­ter­mi­ned. Pre­vi­o­usly per­haps I had won­de­red whet­her he we­re not too much in awe of the Ba­ron, which had in­di­ca­ted to me a cer­ta­in we­ak­ness and ma­de me won­der whet­her the pro­tec­ti­ve kind of lo­ve he ins­pi­red in me was the right sort one sho­uld ha­ve for a hus­band.
It was too bad to let that odi­o­us Ba­ron int­ru­de in­to this char­ming ho­use. But of co­ur­se he must int­ru­de. He was the re­ason I was he­re.
It was go­od of him to ha­ve ack­now­led­ged the qu­ality of my work. No, I tho­ught fi­er­cely, it was not. It was just pla­in ho­nesty. The big­gest ro­gue on earth co­uld be ho­nest abo­ut art and dis­pen­se with the ri­di­cu­lo­us pre­j­udi­ces which pre­va­iled aga­inst wo­men.
I won­de­red if the mi­ni­atu­re of the Prin­ces­se wo­uld ex­ci­te me as much as pa­in­ting the Ba­ron had do­ne. It was hardly li­kely. The­re wo­uld not be the sa­me int­ri­gue and sub­ter­fu­ge, which alt­ho­ugh it had be­en frigh­te­ning at ti­mes had in fact be­en very sti­mu­la­ting.
I was­hed and chan­ged in­to a black skirt and whi­te blo­use and un­pac­ked the rest of my things whi­le I awa­ited the ar­ri­val of Ma­da­me la Go­uver­nan­te.
She ca­me at length- a mid­dle-aged wo­man we­aring a black dress, very simply but ele­gantly cut. At her thro­at was a small di­amond bro­och, her only jewel­lery.
"Welcome," she sa­id.
"I trust you had a go­od jo­ur­ney. The Ba­ron sent word that you wo­uld be ar­ri­ving to­day but was un­su­re of the ti­me."
"It was go­od of him," I sa­id.
"We saw my fat­her off and ca­me stra­ight he­re. My fat­her is re­tur­ning to Eng­land."
"I am glad you spe­ak French. Lan­gu­age can pro­vi­de such dif­fi­cul­ti­es.
If the­re is anyt­hing you lack, you must ring. " She in­di­ca­ted the whi­te ro­pe han­ging ne­ar the bed.
"I tho­ught you wo­uld li­ke yo­ur din­ner sent up this eve­ning. You must be we­ary af­ter yo­ur jo­ur­ney. That will be in an ho­ur's ti­me."
"That will be splen­did," I told her.
"The Prin­ces­se ... eris she eager to be pa­in­ted?"
She smi­led.
"The Prin­ces­se has be­en pa­in­ted many ti­mes. She thinks lit­tle of it.
You might find her an im­pa­ti­ent sit­ter and I wo­uld ad­vi­se you not to ke­ep her too long at a ti­me."
"Thank you. I gat­her she is very yo­ung."
"She is se­ven­te­en ye­ars old."
"She sho­uld ma­ke a go­od su­bj­ect."
"I am su­re. Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, you will see to that. Ma­da­me la Com­tes­se tells me that the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le has highly pra­ised yo­ur ta­lents."
"It is kind of him."
"He wo­uld not do so un­less he me­ant it, Ma­de­mo­isel­le." She was smi­ling at me.
"I sup­po­se you are ac­cus­to­med to go­ing in­to pe­op­le's ho­uses."
"Well, I ha­ve just co­me from the Cha­te­au de Cen­te­vil­le, whe­re I ha­ve be­en for ne­arly three we­eks."

D.

L.

- D "This is a chan­ge from the cha­te­au, is it not? Tho­se old cast­les are so dra­ughty. But per­haps you do not mind."
"This se­ems very com­for­tab­le cer­ta­inly."
"Madame la Com­tes­se li­kes her com­forts."
"Forgive me, but I am una­wa­re of the ho­use­hold ar­ran­ge­ments. Who is Ma­da­me la Com­tes­se?"
"She is a dis­tant con­nec­ti­on of the Prin­ces­se and is her gu­ar­di­an, as it we­re. The Com­tes­se is la­unc­hing the Prin­ces­se in­to so­ci­ety and ma­king the ar­ran­ge­ments for her mar­ri­age. The Prin­ces­se is an orp­han.
Her fa­mily suf­fe­red gre­atly in the past tro­ub­les. "
"And you are her go­ver­ness?"
"Oh no, Ma­de­mo­isel­le. I am the go­uve­man­te, which me­ans the fem­me de char­ge... of the ho­use­hold, you see."
"Oh, I un­ders­tand. In Eng­lish we sho­uld say ho­use­ke­eper."
She re­pe­ated the word slowly, smi­ling as she did so.
"Now I know," I sa­id.
"It is go­od of you to ta­ke such ca­re for my com­fort."
"I shall ha­ve fo­od sent up to you ... for to­night. Then we shall see.
No do­ubt the Com­tes­se will say how things are to be do­ne. You can see the Prin­ces­se in the mor­ning. I will ha­ve pe­tit de­j­e­uner bro­ught to you with hot wa­ter at eight o'clock. Wo­uld that be con­ve­ni­ent? "
I sa­id it wo­uld be very con­ve­ni­ent and she went out, le­aving me alo­ne.
A fe­eling of in­ten­se lo­ne­li­ness swept over me. I mis­sed my fat­her. I won­de­red whe­re he was now. Pos­sibly pre­pa­ring to cross the sea. I won­de­red whe­re Bert­rand was. On the way ho­me, pro­bably, to tell his fa­mily that he was plan­ning to marry me and that he had had a qu­ar­rel with the all- po­wer­ful Ba­ron whom he had vo­wed ne­ver to see aga­in.
How dif­fe­rent this was from ar­ri­ving at the cast­le. I tri­ed to re­cap­tu­re the fe­eling of ex­ci­te­ment and ap­pre­hen­si­on, that de­ter­mi­na­ti­on to suc­ce­ed in the most dif­fi­cult pro­j­ect I had ever un­der­ta­ken, and then the ming­led fe­elings of ex­hi­la­ra­ti­on and re­vul­si­on which had re­sul­ted in at­temp­ting to know the fa­ce of that wic­ked man who was ca­pab­le of such out­ra­ge­o­us con­duct.
But what a su­bj­ect he had be­en! I was be­gin­ning to think that in pa­in­ting him I had ac­hi­eved my mas­ter­pi­ece. He had aro­used such strong fe­elings; he had had such an in­te­res­ting fa­ce. When sho­uld I ever find such a comp­li­ca­ted per­son wic­ked, ruth­less . in fact one only had to think of the worst qu­ali­ti­es in hu­man na­tu­re and they se­emed to apply to him. And yet he lo­ved be­a­uti­ful things and he had ma­de an ho­nest as­ses­sment of my work, and be­ca­use he fo­und it go­od he had de­fi­ed the con­ven­ti­onal be­li­ef of his sex that wo­men sho­uld play an in­fe­ri­or ro­le be­ca­use it was all they we­re ca­pab­le of. He had had the co­ura­ge to stand up and say what he me­ant. Co­ura­ge! It was no co­ura­ge. He ne­eded no co­ura­ge to do and say wha­te­ver he ple­ased. He was all-po­wer­ful in his lit­tle world. He ma­de the ru­les.
Ah, I tho­ught, but the­re are ti­mes, Ba­ron, when you find pe­op­le who are not re­ady to obey you. De­ar Bert­rand! He was a fi­ne yo­ung man, not to be dic­ta­ted to by the worldly cyni­cal Ba­ron. I la­ug­hed alo­ud and sa­id:
"Now, Ba­ron, you will ha­ve to find anot­her hus­band for the mist­ress you no lon­ger want."
Stop thin­king of him, I com­man­ded myself. This is a new as­sign­ment.
You will ne­ver see the Ba­ron aga­in. Why let him int­ru­de in­to this ele­gant at­mosp­he­re whe­re everyt­hing is go­ing to be so dif­fe­rent from what it was in the Nor­man cast­le?
I had co­me he­re in a bla­ze of glory ack­now­led­ged as a pa­in­ter of me­rit.
I was go­ing to pa­int a se­ven­te­en-ye­ar-old girl in­no­cent, un­mar­ked by li­fe. A lo­vely su­bj­ect for a port­ra­it which did not de­mand too de­ep an as­ses­sment of cha­rac­ter. The skin wo­uld be smo­oth and un­mar­ked by ti­me; no sec­rets in the eyes; no li­nes on the brow. A pretty pic­tu­re

LOVER

that was what I was go­ing to do now. An in­no­cent vir­gin, I tho­ught, who was go­ing to be han­ded over for that mons­ter le­gal­ly to def­lo­wer.
Poor child. I was sorry for her.
Then I sa­id alo­ud: "Stop thin­king of the Ba­ron. You ha­ve do­ne yo­ur work for him su­perbly and he has re­war­ded you ade­qu­ately. Be su­itably gra­te­ful and for­get him."
My tray was bro­ught in. It con­ta­ined cold chic­ken with a lit­tle sa­lad co­ve­red in an un­fa­mi­li­ar dres­sing, but very ple­asant. The­re was a fru­it tart and a ca­ra­fe of whi­te wi­ne. It was all very pa­la­tab­le.
In due co­ur­se a ma­id ap­pe­ared to ta­ke away the tray and I tho­ught I might as well re­ti­re for the night. It had not be­en exactly an exu­be­rant wel­co­me, but I must re­mem­ber that I was re­al­ly emp­lo­yed he­re.
This was the re­al French aris­toc­racy who, I un­ders­to­od, we­re mo­re for­mal than any in the world. I sho­uld see mo­re to­mor­row, and in any ca­se, wit­hin a short ti­me I sho­uld be on my way ho­me. I had de­ci­ded that I wo­uld go back be­fo­re co­ming out aga­in for the two de­fi­ni­te com­mis­si­ons I had- one with Ma­da­me Du­pont and the ot­her with Mon­si­e­ur Vil­lef­ranc­he -accep­ted on that night when the Ba­ron had shown my mi­ni­atu­re of him­self.
My fat­her had be­en all in fa­vo­ur of this ar­ran­ge­ment. He had sa­id I must de­fi­ni­tely ac­cept the­se com­mis­si­ons for they wo­uld help to es­tab­lish me in Fran­ce whe­re, with the bac­king of so­me­one as inf­lu­en­ti­al as the Ba­ron, I was li­kely to get mo­re stan­ding than I sho­uld in Vic­to­ri­an Eng­land.
"Once you ha­ve a na­me," he sa­id, 'you can dic­ta­te what you will do.
But get the na­me first. The na­me is everyt­hing. "
If I mar­ri­ed Bert­rand . when I mar­ri­ed Bert­rand . I sho­uld in­sist that I car­ri­ed on with my pa­in­ting. He wo­uld re­adily un­ders­tand. He had ma­de that cle­ar al­re­ady. Bert­rand wo­uld be a very un­ders­tan­ding man.
I was very for­tu­na­te to be lo­ved by him. How dif­fe­rent I was from the girl who had co­me out to Fran­ce such a short whi­le ago!
I to­ok off my dress and put on a dres­sing-gown. Then I let down my ha­ir and sat at the mir­ror on the dres­sing-tab­le, brus­hing it. My tho­ughts went back to the night when Ni­co­le had sent her ma­id to dress my ha­ir. Po­or Ni­co­le! To be ban­di­ed abo­ut. I sup­po­se pe­op­le wo­uld say she sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve be­co­me his mist­ress in the first pla­ce. Her fa­te now was the wa­ges of sin.
There was a gent­le tap on my do­or.
"Come in," I sa­id.
A yo­ung girl en­te­red. She wo­re a black dress with a whi­te ap­ron over it.
"I ha­ve co­me to see if you ha­ve everyt­hing you want."
"Yes, thank you. Did Ma­da­me la Go­uver­nan­te send you?"
"No ... I ca­me be­ca­use I wan­ted to."
She had a small fa­ce with a po­in­ted chin, a rat­her long no­se and dar­ting misc­hi­evo­us eyes.
She shut the do­or.
"Are you set­tling in?"
"I ha­ve only just ar­ri­ved."
"You're go­ing to pa­int a pic­tu­re of the Prin­ces­se, aren't you?"
"That's what I'm he­re for."
"You've got to do so­met­hing very ni­ce."
"I ho­pe to."
"You'll ha­ve to. She's not very pretty."
"Beauty is of­ten a mat­ter of opi­ni­on. Are you a ho­use­ma­id?"
She sat on my bed. I tho­ught she was rat­her im­per­ti­nent and was on the po­int of tel­ling her to le­ave me. On the ot­her hand I did not want to turn away any pos­si­bi­lity of le­ar­ning so­met­hing abo­ut the Prin­ces­se who was to be my su­bj­ect.
"What do you me­an, a mat­ter of opi­ni­on?" she as­ked.
"Exactly what I say."
"You me­an that she co­uld lo­ok pretty to you tho­ugh no one el­se tho­ught so. So you're go­ing to pa­int her pretty."
"I shall pa­int what I see."
"You ha­ve just pa­in­ted the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le. How did you pa­int him?"
"The Prin­ces­se has the mi­ni­atu­re now. Per­haps she will show it to you.
Do you work ne­ar her? "
She nod­ded.
"Then per­haps you'll see it."
"I ha­ve."
"Then you know."
"I think he lo­oks rat­her ... frigh­te­ning."
"Really. Now ... I was just go­ing to bed."
"But I'd li­ke to talk."
"But I as I sa­id am abo­ut to go to bed."
"Don't you want to know abo­ut the pe­op­le he­re?"
"I shall find out in due co­ur­se."
"Do you ha­ve to know a lot abo­ut the pe­op­le you pa­int?"
"It helps."
"You're a sort of sor­ce­ress."
"I hadn't tho­ught of myself as that."
"I don't think the Prin­ces­se will li­ke it if you pry."
"Really, I must ask you to le­ave now."
She sat up.
"Tell me abo­ut the Ba­ron," she sa­id.
"He has twenty mist­res­ses, they say ... li­ke So­lo­mon or so­met­hing li­ke that."
"I be­li­eve So­lo­mon had mo­re than twenty."
"You don't tell anyt­hing, do you? That's be­ca­use I'm just a ho­use­ma­id of no im­por­tan­ce."
"You go off to bed," I sa­id.
"Are you go­ing to ring and ha­ve me re­mo­ved?"
"Not if you go qu­i­etly."
"All right," she sa­id.
"I co­uld ha­ve told you a lot," she ad­ded omi­no­usly . 'a lot you ought to know. "
"I am su­re you co­uld. But anot­her ti­me, eh?"
I pus­hed her out and shut the do­or.
What an ext­ra­or­di­nary ma­id! I won­de­red what she co­uld ha­ve told me abo­ut the Prin­ces­se.
I loc­ked the do­or and got in­to bed, but it was a long ti­me be­fo­re I slept.
My tray ca­me promptly in the mor­ning and by ni­ne o'clock I was re­ady.
I did not ha­ve to wa­it long be­fo­re Ma­da­me la Go­uver­nan­te was knoc­king at my do­or. She sa­id "Go­od mor­ning' very ci­vil­ly and exp­res­sed the wish that I had pas­sed a go­od night.
Madame la Com­tes­se was re­ady to re­ce­ive me and if I wo­uld fol­low her she wo­uld ta­ke me to her . We des­cen­ded the be­a­uti­ful sta­ir­ca­se to a lo­wer flo­or and I was con­duc­ted to a sa­lon fur­nis­hed in whi­te and gold with tho­se ra­re to­uc­hes of red. The fur­ni­tu­re was ex­qu­isi­te and of the six­te­enth and se­ven­te­enth cen­tury I gu­es­sed. But my at­ten­ti­on was im­me­di­ately fo­cu­sed on the Com­tes­se.
She was rat­her short and a lit­tle plump but ca­re­ful­ly dres­sed to mi­ni­mi­ze this. Her ha­ir was worn pi­led high to gi­ve her he­ight; she was so­ig­nee and fit­ted the sur­ro­un­dings per­fectly.
I must ad­mit to fe­eling a lit­tle ga­uc­he, for cle­arly I did not pay the sa­me at­ten­ti­on to my ap­pe­aran­ce as she did to hers.
"Mademoiselle Col­li­son!" she cri­ed, ad­van­cing and hol­ding out her hand.
She to­ok mi­ne in a limp hands­ha­ke.
"I am ple­ased to wel­co­me you he­re. Mon­si­e­ur Ie Ba­ron is so eager for you to do this mi­ni­atu­re of the Prin­ces­se de Cres­pigny. He has such a high opi­ni­on of yo­ur work. I know the na­me, of co­ur­se. It is well known he­re... but he says you are the first lady in that gre­at li­ne of pa­in­ters."
"I am eager to me­et the Prin­ces­se and to start the work," I sa­id.

"I

was won­de­ring if the­re is a ro­om whe­re we can get the ma­xi­mum light.
"
"Yes, yes. All that has be­en con­si­de­red. The Ba­ron has told us what will be ne­eded. But the Prin­ces­se has ma­de it cle­ar that she will not want to sit too long at a ti­me."
"Sittings are ne­ces­sary," I sa­id.
"I think I must be al­lo­wed to de­ci­de the length of them. A pa­in­ter may ha­ve dis­co­ve­red so­met­hing ex­ci­ting. and then if the sit­ter go­es away be­fo­re the dis­co­very can be ma­de use of... You un­ders­tand?"
"Oh, you will ha­ve to work that out with the Prin­ces­se. She is very yo­ung."
"Seventeen, I be­li­eve."
The Com­tes­se nod­ded.
"She has be­en bro­ught up qu­i­etly un­til a few months ago when I to­ok her in­to my ca­re and bro­ught her to Co­urt. It is ne­ces­sary for me to ke­ep"
She pa­used and I sa­id: "A firm hand?"
"Exactly. It is so­met­hing of a res­pon­si­bi­lity. Ho­we­ver, I ha­ve sent so­me­one to tell her we are wa­iting for her. She sho­uld be along at any mo­ment."
"Thank you."
"Pray be se­ated, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son."
I sat, lo­oking une­asily at the do­or.
"You ha­ve co­me stra­ight from the Cha­te­au de Cen­te­vil­le?"
She was ma­king con­ver­sa­ti­on for she knew that I had.
"Yes, Ma­da­me."
"You must ha­ve... er... spent a long ti­me with the Ba­ron ... at yo­ur sit­tings, I me­an."
"Yes. He was a go­od sit­ter. He is a man who is gre­atly in­te­res­ted in art."
"Let us ho­pe that the Prin­ces­se will be equ­al­ly go­od."
She went to the bell ro­pe and pul­led it. The­re was si­len­ce un­til a ma­id ap­pe­ared. She wo­re a black dress and whi­te ap­ron si­mi­lar to that of last night's vi­si­tor, but it was not the sa­me girl.
"Will you ple­ase go at on­ce to the Prin­ces­se and tell her that Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son and I are wa­iting for her in the sa­lon."
"Yes, Ma­da­me." The girl bob­bed a curt­sey and was off.
The Com­tes­se sat down and ma­de une­asy de­sul­tory and rat­her di­sj­o­in­ted con­ver­sa­ti­on.
"She knew that you had ar­ri­ved last night," she sa­id.
"I can­not ima­gi­ne ..." She bit her lip as tho­ugh trying to curb her an­no­yan­ce.
"I sup­po­se she wants this mi­ni­atu­re do­ne?" I as­ked.
"The Ba­ron wants it. Oh I ha­ve gre­at res­pon­si­bi­li­ti­es, Ma­de­mo­isel­le, gre­at dif­fi­cul­ti­es."
At that mo­ment we he­ard the so­und of hor­ses' ho­ofs and the Com­tes­se went qu­ickly to the win­dow.
She tur­ned back to me.
"It's the Prin­ces­se," she sa­id.
"She is go­ing ri­ding."
I went to the win­dow. I saw the back of a trim, slight fi­gu­re sur­ro­un­ded by a party of hor­se­men and wo­men.
The Com­tes­se lo­oked at me help­les­sly.
I lil­ted my sho­ul­ders.
"It's a pity. I wan­ted to get a start. If you will show me the ro­om whe­re I am to do the port­ra­it I will pre­pa­re my ma­te­ri­als, and then I tho­ught I might ta­ke a walk."
"Do you know Pa­ris?"
"This is my first vi­sit."
"I sho­uld per­haps get so­me­one to ac­com­pany you."
"I pre­fer to be on my own."
She he­si­ta­ted.
"You wish to exp­lo­re, I see. Do you find yo­ur way abo­ut well?"
"I think so."
"Don't stray too far from this area. You co­uld wan­der down the Champs-Elysee to the Tu­ile­ri­es. That sho­uld be very ple­asant. I wo­uld not cross the ri­ver if I we­re you. The­re are many brid­ges ac­ross the Se­ine. Stay on this si­de and if you get lost then ... ta­ke a fi­ac­re a cab ... and you will be bro­ught back to the Rue du Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int-Ho­no­re."
"Thank you so much. I shall do that."
"I apo­lo­gi­ze for the Prin­ces­se's be­ha­vi­o­ur." She shrug­ged her sho­ul­ders.
"She has be­en used to ha­ving her own way. You know how it can be."
"I un­ders­tand," I sa­id, 'and I shall lo­ok for­ward to me­eting her la­ter.
"
I went to my ro­om and col­lec­ted what I sho­uld ne­ed. Then I was shown the ro­om whe­re I sho­uld work. It was a kind of at­tic. Ide­al, I tho­ught, for the­re was plenty of light. I set out my pa­ints, brus­hes and lit­tle pa­let­te. I pre­pa­red my sup­ports and went back to my ro­om.
I tho­ught: Our lit­tle Prin­ces­se has high spi­rits and bad man­ners -but per­haps she thinks such be­ha­vi­o­ur is ac­cep­tab­le from a Prin­ces­se.
I am al­re­ady le­ar­ning so­met­hing abo­ut her wit­ho­ut se­e­ing her.
Now the­re was the ex­ci­te­ment of Pa­ris- and how that enc­han­ted me! I lo­ved the wi­de bo­ule­vards, the be­a­uti­ful brid­ges and the old Pa­la­ce of the Lo­uv­re. Best of all I lo­ved the no­ise of the stre­ets, the in­ces­sant chat­ter, the ca­fes out­si­de which tab­les we­re set up un­der co­lo­ured suns­ha­des, and gay mu­sic flo­ated out. I did not ne­ed that ve­hic­le to ta­ke me back. I fo­und my own way. I was rat­her go­od at it.
I had enj­oyed my mor­ning and was gra­te­ful to my ill- man­ne­red lit­tle Prin­ces­se who had ma­de it pos­sib­le.
Dejeuner was ser­ved in my ro­om, aga­in on a tray, and I won­de­red whet­her this was how I sho­uld ta­ke all my me­als. It was cle­ar that the­se pe­op­le did not know how they sho­uld tre­at me. I ex­pect they must ha­ve re­gar­ded me as a kind of ser­vant. How dif­fe­rent it had be­en at the cha­te­au, whe­re ar­tists we­re con­si­de­red to be of so­me ac­co­unt.
It was not im­por­tant. I sho­uld comp­le­te my port­ra­it and then go ho­me be­fo­re re­tur­ning to Fran­ce to carry out the ot­her com­mis­si­ons.
Madame la Go­uver­nan­te ca­me to my ro­om af­ter I had fi­nis­hed my fo­od and told me that the Prin­ces­se and her party had not yet re­tur­ned. She had le­ar­ned that they we­re vi­si­ting a ho­use on the way to St. Clo­ud. They wo­uld pro­bably be back so­on and I sho­uld re­ma­in in so that I sho­uld be ava­ilab­le if the Prin­ces­se ne­eded me.
I ac­cep­ted this, but it was not un­til past fo­ur o'clock when a sum­mons ca­me to me to tell me that the Prin­ces­se was in the at­tic wa­iting to re­ce­ive me.
I went stra­ight up. She was stan­ding by the win­dow lo­oking out and did not turn as I en­te­red. She was dres­sed in a very bright red ball gown; her sho­ul­ders we­re ba­re and her long dark ha­ir lo­ose. From the back she lo­oked li­ke a child.
I sa­id: "Prin­ces­se ..."
"Come in, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son," she sa­id.
"You may start now."
"That is qu­ite im­pos­sib­le," I rep­li­ed.
"The light is not go­od eno­ugh."
"What do you me­an?" She swung ro­und. Her fa­ce was va­gu­ely fa­mi­li­ar.
Then it dow­ned on me. I sho­uld ha­ve re­cog­ni­zed her at on­ce but for the red ball dress and lo­ose ha­ir which ma­de her lo­ok rat­her dif­fe­rent from the girl who had worn the black dress and ap­ron on the pre­vi­o­us night.
So, I tho­ught, she plays tricks. And I knew then that she was go­ing to ma­ke my stay dif­fi­cult.
I went to­wards her and inc­li­ned my he­ad. I was not go­ing to curt­sey to such a child; af­ter all, ro­yalty did not me­an the sa­me in Fran­ce as it had be­fo­re the Re­vo­lu­ti­on.
"You see, Prin­ces­se," I exp­la­ined, "I ne­ed the best pos­sib­le light for such fi­ne work. The mor­ning is the only ti­me I ca­re to work ... un­less it is a very bright af­ter­no­on ... cer­ta­inly not on an over­cast one li­ke this."
"Perhaps we sho­uld get an ar­tist who can work at any ti­me," she sa­id ha­ugh­tily.
"That is for you to de­ci­de. I will me­rely say this: The­re will be no sit­ting this af­ter­no­on. If you are not ri­ding to­mor­row mor­ning, I sho­uld li­ke to start then ... at, say, ten o'clock."
"I am not su­re," she rep­li­ed.
"I can­not stay he­re in­de­fi­ni­tely," I told her.
"Well per­haps .." she sa­id grud­gingly.
"Perhaps you wo­uld al­low me to stay now and chat for a whi­le. I must know so­met­hing of my su­bj­ects be­fo­re I at­tempt to pa­int them. May I sit down?"
She nod­ded.
I re­gar­ded her ste­adily. She had the thick Va­lo­is no­se which, whi­le it might proc­la­im her an­cestry, did not fit in with mo­dem no­ti­ons of be­a­uty. Her eyes we­re small but they we­re bright; her mo­uth was rat­her pe­tu­lant but per­haps that chan­ged with her mo­ods. It sho­uld not be im­pos­sib­le to ma­ke a char­ming pic­tu­re. She had the glow of yo­uth; her skin was go­od, so we­re her te­eth. if she co­uld be pre­va­iled upon to smi­le. The co­lo­ur of the dress was qu­ite wrong for her.
She sa­id: "You will ha­ve to gi­ve me a bet­ter no­se."
I la­ug­hed.
"I want to pa­int^oa," I sa­id.
"That me­ans you're go­ing to ma­ke me ugly " In­de­ed it do­es not. I see pos­si­bi­li­ti­es. "
"What do you me­an ... pos­si­bi­li­ti­es?"
"Do you ever smi­le?"
"Certainly I do ... when I'm ple­ased."
"Well, we'll ha­ve you ple­ased. You ha­ve very be­a­uti­ful te­eth. What is the po­int of hi­ding them? A lo­vely smi­le wo­uld ta­ke off the length of the no­se; and if you ope­ned yo­ur eyes wi­de and lo­oked in­te­res­ted they wo­uld brigh­ten and lo­ok big­ger. Al­so the dress is wrong."
"I li­ke the dress."
"Well, that is go­od eno­ugh. We must pa­int the red dress be­ca­use jyou li­ke it."
"But you say you don't."
"No. Red is not yo­ur co­lo­ur ... nor is the black you wo­re last night."
She flus­hed pink and star­ted to la­ugh. She lo­oked al­most pretty.
"That's bet­ter," I sa­id.
"If I co­uld catch that..."
"You pre­ten­ded you didn't re­cog­ni­ze me."
"I re­cog­ni­zed you im­me­di­ately."
"Not last night."
"How co­uld I? I had ne­ver met the Prin­ces­se ..."
"And when you saw me he­re ..."
"I knew at on­ce."
"And what did you think last night? Was I a go­od ma­id?"
"No. An im­per­ti­nent one."
She la­ug­hed aga­in and I la­ug­hed too.
"I don't want this pic­tu­re do­ne, you know," she sa­id.
"I do re­ali­ze that."
"I ha­te ha­ving it do­ne." Her fa­ce crump­led sud­denly and she lo­oked li­ke a frigh­te­ned child.
"I ha­te it all ..."
I un­ders­to­od. Mo­re­over my at­ti­tu­de to­wards her had chan­ged comp­le­tely.
I was sorry for her. Po­or in­no­cent child to go to that man!
"Was that why you we­re so ill-man­ne­red this mor­ning?"
"Ill-mannered?"
"In go­ing ri­ding when it was ar­ran­ged that the­re was to be a sit­ting."
"I don't think of it as be­ing ill-man­ne­red. We don't ha­ve to worry abo­ut..."
"Servants?" I sa­id.
"Or ar­tists ... but per­haps ar­tists are ser­vants."
"They co­me he­re to work for us ... and are pa­id for it."
"Do you know what one of yo­ur gre­atest kings on­ce sa­id?"
"Oh ... his­tory!"
"It is per­ti­nent to the oc­ca­si­on.
"Men ma­ke kings but only God can ma­ke an ar­tist."
"What do­es that me­an? I tho­ught God was sup­po­sed to ha­ve ma­de us all."
"It me­ans that God gi­ves the art of cre­ati­on to a few cho­sen pe­op­le and gre­at ones are mo­re im­por­tant than kings."
"That's the sort of thing they sa­id du­ring the re­vo­lu­ti­on."
"On the cont­rary, it was sa­id by one of yo­ur most autoc­ra­tic kings -Fran­co­is Pre­mi­er."
"I sup­po­se you are very cle­ver."
"I'm go­od at my job."
"The Ba­ron sa­id you we­re go­od, didn't he?"
"He ap­pre­ci­ated my work."
"You did a pic­tu­re of him. He sat for you."
"He did and I am glad to say that he was a very go­od sit­ter."
"I sup­po­se I shall ha­ve to sit for you."
"It is the re­ason why I'm he­re. I sho­uld li­ke to see you in blue. I think that wo­uld su­it you. It wo­uld bring out the glow of yo­ur skin."
She to­uc­hed her fa­ce. I tho­ught how yo­ung she was and I for­ga­ve her everyt­hing- her silly lit­tle mas­qu­era­de of the night be­fo­re and her ru­de­ness in bre­aking her ap­po­int­ment. I saw her as a frigh­te­ned child.
"Would you li­ke me to see what you ha­ve to we­ar?" I as­ked.
"We co­uld per­haps find a fa­vo­uri­te dress of yo­urs. I myself pre­fer blue, but it may be that you ha­ve so­met­hing el­se which wo­uld be equ­al­ly go­od."
"I ha­ve a gre­at many dres­ses," she sa­id.
"I ha­ve be­en pre­sen­ted to the Emp­ress. I tho­ught I sho­uld ha­ve so­me fun per­haps, but when the Ba­ron de­ci­ded to marry me that put an end to that."
"When are you to marry?"
"Very so­on. Next month ... on my eigh­te­enth birth;; day. " :
She lo­oked at me sud­denly and stop­ped and it oc­cur­red to J me that she wo­uld very easily sha­re con­fi­den­ces. Po­or child! I had dis­co­ve­red a go­od de­al abo­ut her in a short ti­me and I knew that she was lo­nely and frigh­te­ned.
"How wo­uld it be if we de­ci­ded on the dress now," I sa­id,| 'and we co­uld start the mi­ni­atu­re to­mor­row mor­ning. I| sho­uld li­ke to be early so­on af­ter ni­ne o'clock. The light! sho­uld be go­od then. The mi­ni­atu­re, I un­ders­tand, is to b^| mo­un­ted in the sa­me way as the one I did of the Ba­ron. It isin| gold with di­amonds and sap­phi­res. It is ab­so­lu­tely mag­ni­fi^

I

cent, as you know. That is one of the re­asons why I tho­ught blue for the dress. "
"All right. Co­me on ... now."
She led the way down from the at­tic. Her bed­ro­om was very grand -whi­te and gold with rich car­pets and be­a­uti­ful ta­pest­ri­es on the walls.
"This ho­use was da­ma­ged du­ring the Re­vo­lu­ti­on," she told me, 'but the Em­pe­ror was very in­sis­tent that Pa­ris sho­uld be be­a­uti­ful aga­in. They say Pa­ris was li­ke a pho­enix ri­sing out of the ru­ins. "
"It is very be­a­uti­ful," I rep­li­ed.
"How for­tu­na­te you are to li­ve in such a pla­ce."
"Some pe­op­le are happy wit­ho­ut be­a­uti­ful ho­uses. I saw a girl in a mo­dis­te's shop when I was ri­ding past the ot­her day. A yo­ung man was with her and she was trying on a hat. He lo­oked at her and kis­sed her.
She lo­oked so happy and I tho­ught: She's hap­pi­er than I am. And I won­de­red if she was go­ing to marry the yo­ung man who kis­sed her. He wo­uld be so­me­one she had cho­sen for her­self. "
I sa­id: "You ne­ver know what is go­ing on in ot­her pe­op­le's li­ves. I was on­ce en­vi­o­us of a girl in a pastry co­ok shop. She was ser­ving the ca­kes and she lo­oked so be­a­uti­ful among all the lo­aves of freshly ba­ked bre­ad and fancy ca­kes. I had a go­ver­ness then and I co­uld not get my sums right. I ha­ted arith­me­tic and when I saw that girl ser­ving the ca­kes I sa­id to myself: She ne­ver has to do hor­rid sums. How I wish I co­uld chan­ge pla­ces with her. A few we­eks la­ter that shop was bur­ned down and I he­ard that the be­a­uti­ful girl had be­en bur­ned to de­ath."
The Prin­ces­se was sta­ring at me inc­re­du­lo­usly.
"So," I went on, 'you sho­uld ne­ver envy an­yo­ne. You sho­uld ne­ver re­al­ly want to chan­ge pla­ces for so­met­hing you re­al­ly don't know very much abo­ut. If you don't li­ke what's hap­pe­ning to you, find a way out of it or ac­cept it . whic­he­ver you think best. "
"I sup­po­se you are very cle­ver."
"I'm go­od at my job."
"The Ba­ron sa­id you we­re go­od, didn't he?"
"He ap­pre­ci­ated my work."
"You did a pic­tu­re of him. He sat for you."
"He did and I am glad to say that he was a very go­od sit­ter."
"I sup­po­se I shall ha­ve to sit for you."
"It is the re­ason why I'm he­re. I sho­uld li­ke to see you in blue. I think that wo­uld su­it you. It wo­uld bring out the glow of yo­ur skin."
She to­uc­hed her fa­ce. I tho­ught how yo­ung she was and I for­ga­ve her everyt­hing- her silly lit­tle mas­qu­era­de of the night be­fo­re and her ru­de­ness in bre­aking her ap­po­int­ment. I saw her as a frigh­te­ned child.
"Would you li­ke me to see what you ha­ve to we­ar?" I as­ked.
"We co­uld per­haps find a fa­vo­uri­te dress of yo­urs. I myself pre­fer blue, but it may be that you ha­ve so­met­hing el­se which wo­uld be equ­al­ly go­od."
"I ha­ve a gre­at many dres­ses," she sa­id.
"I ha­ve be­en pre­sen­ted to the Emp­ress. I tho­ught I sho­uld ha­ve so­me fun per­haps, but when the Ba­ron de­ci­ded to marry me that put an end to that."
"When are you to marry?"
"Very so­on. Next month ... on my eigh­te­enth birth­day."
She lo­oked at me sud­denly and stop­ped and it oc­cur­red to me that she wo­uld very easily sha­re con­fi­den­ces. Po­or child! I had dis­co­ve­red a go­od de­al abo­ut her in a short ti­me and I knew that she was lo­nely and frigh­te­ned.
"How wo­uld it be if we de­ci­ded on the dress now," I sa­id, 'and we co­uld start the mi­ni­atu­re to­mor­row mor­ning. I sho­uld li­ke to be early . so­on af­ter ni­ne o'clock. The light sho­uld be go­od then. The mi­ni­atu­re, I un­ders­tand, is to be mo­un­ted in the sa­me way as the one I did of the Ba­ron. It is in gold with di­amonds and sap­phi­res. It is ab­so­lu­tely mag­ni­fi­cent, as you know. That is one of the re­asons why I tho­ught blue for the dress. "
"All right. Co­me on ... now."
She led the way down from the at­tic. Her bed­ro­om was very grand whi­te and gold with rich car­pets and be­a­uti­ful ta­pest­ri­es on the walls.
"This ho­use was da­ma­ged du­ring the Re­vo­lu­ti­on," she told me, 'but the Em­pe­ror was very in­sis­tent that Pa­ris sho­uld be be­a­uti­ful aga­in. They say Pa­ris was li­ke a pho­enix ri­sing out of the ru­ins. "
"It is very be­a­uti­ful," I rep­li­ed.
"How for­tu­na­te you are to li­ve in such a pla­ce."
"Some pe­op­le are happy wit­ho­ut be­a­uti­ful ho­uses. I saw a girl in a mo­dis­te's shop when I was ri­ding past the ot­her day. A yo­ung man was with her and she was trying on a hat. He lo­oked at her and kis­sed her.
She lo­oked so happy and I tho­ught: She's hap­pi­er than I am. And I won­de­red if she was go­ing to marry the yo­ung man who kis­sed her. He wo­uld be so­me­one she had cho­sen for her­self I sa­id: "You ne­ver know what is go­ing on in ot­her pe­op­le's li­ves. I was on­ce en­vi­o­us of a girl in a pastry co­ok shop. She was ser­ving the ca­kes and she lo­oked so be­a­uti­ful among all the lo­aves of freshly ba­ked bre­ad and fancy ca­kes.
I had a go­ver­ness then and I co­uld not get my sums right. I ha­ted arith­me­tic and when I saw that girl ser­ving the ca­kes I sa­id to myself:
She ne­ver has to do hor­rid sums. How I wish I co­uld chan­ge pla­ces with her. A few we­eks la­ter that shop was bur­ned down and I he­ard that the be­a­uti­ful girl had be­en bur­ned to de­ath."
The Prin­ces­se was sta­ring at me inc­re­du­lo­usly.
"So," I went on, 'you sho­uld ne­ver envy an­yo­ne. You sho­uld ne­ver re­al­ly want to chan­ge pla­ces for so­met­hing you re­al­ly don't know very much abo­ut. If you don't li­ke what's hap­pe­ning to you, find a way out of it or ac­cept it . whic­he­ver you think best. "
R
"Why ... was the girl bur­ned to de­ath? Why did the shop catch fi­re?"
"Something went wrong with her fat­her's ovens, I sup­po­se. But it ta­ught me a les­son which I'm pas­sing on to you. Now. shall we lo­ok at the dres­ses?"
There we­re rows of them. I fo­und a pe­acock blue silk which I tho­ught wo­uld to­ne in well with the sap­phi­res. I as­ked if she wo­uld try it on so that I co­uld see her in it.
She was only too re­ady to, and when she had do­ne so I de­ci­ded it was just right.
"That's set­tled then. To­mor­row mor­ning. Is ni­ne too early?"
"Nine-thirty," she sa­id; and I knew that she wo­uld be the­re.
So be­gan my ac­qu­a­in­tan­ce with the Prin­ces­se Ma­rie Cla­ude de Cres­pigny.
It flo­uris­hed qu­ickly. She ap­pa­rently li­ked my at­ti­tu­de to her mo­ods.
I ne­it­her comp­la­ined nor was I sub­ser­vi­ent; I just ma­in­ta­ined a co­ol in­dif­fe­ren­ce. I was the­re to pa­int a pic­tu­re and I wan­ted to do it as well as I co­uld. Over the first sit­ting we be­ca­me qu­ite fri­endly. She tal­ked a gre­at de­al, which was what I wan­ted. The­re was so­met­hing very ap­pe­aling and fe­mi­ni­ne abo­ut her. I wo­uld bring that out in the port­ra­it . a comp­le­ment to the over­po­we­ring bully of a man who was to be her hus­band. I wo­uld ma­ke the mi­ni­atu­res a study in cont­rasts -the overw­hel­mingly mas­cu­li­ne man and the de­ci­dedly fe­mi­ni­ne wo­man.
They wo­uld be an ex­qu­isi­te pa­ir in the­ir di­amond and sap­phi­re set­tings both in blue that lo­vely sha­de of blue. No won­der pe­op­le cal­led it he­avenly.
I was enj­oying this now. To sit in that ro­om and pa­int and not to ha­ve to do it sur­rep­ti­ti­o­usly as I had at Cen­te­vil­le. Ah, Cen­te­vil­le, the­re co­uld ne­ver be anot­her ex­pe­ri­en­ce such as that! I la­ug­hed to think of all the pre­ca­uti­ons we had ta­ken when all the ti­me the Ba­ron knew.
"You're smi­ling, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son. I know why. You are thin­king of' Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer."
"Bertrand de Mor­te­mer," I mur­mu­red, flus­hing. She was de­ligh­ted to see me mo­men­ta­rily em­bar­ras­sed.
"Oh yes. I he­ard that he bro­ught you he­re. And he sa­id he wo­uld call on you. He is very go­od-lo­oking. I sup­po­se you li­ke him a gre­at de­al."
"I li­ke him."
"Shall you marry him, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son?"
I he­si­ta­ted and she cri­ed: "Oh, you will. That will be so ni­ce too.
You'll be­co­me French. Pe­op­le do chan­ge the­ir na­ti­ona­lity when they marry, don't they? They ta­ke that of the­ir hus­bands. Why sho­uldn't men ta­ke the na­ti­ona­lity of the­ir wi­ves? "
"This is a we­ighty su­bj­ect," I sa­id.
"Women are rec­ko­ned not to be as go­od at anyt­hing as men. But that is chan­ging. See, he­re am I ... an ar­tist in my own right, tho­ugh a wo­man."
"I he­ard at first that you just hel­ped yo­ur fat­her and that he was the gre­at ar­tist."
"The Ba­ron chan­ged that. He re­cog­ni­zed fi­ne art when he saw it- and rightly, he do­esn't ca­re who pa­in­ted it."
"Tell me what you think abo­ut the Ba­ron?" Her mo­od had chan­ged. It was sul­len al­most. I did not want that exp­res­si­on to cre­ep in.
"He is a very ar­tis­tic man."
"I don't me­an that." She lo­oked at me ste­adily and then she sa­id: "I don't want to marry him. I don't want to go to his cast­le. So­me­ti­mes I think I'd do anyt­hing .. just anyt­hing to stop it."
"Why do you fe­el thus abo­ut him? Do you know him well?"
"I ha­ve se­en him three ti­mes. The first was at Co­urt when I was pre­sen­ted to him. He didn't ta­ke much no­ti­ce of me then. But my co­usin the Com­tes­se sa­id that he wan­ted to marry me. It was a go­od match and we we­re in dif­fi­cul­ti­es over the es­ta­tes. Mo­ney ... it is al­ways mo­ney. Pe­op­le ne­ver wor­ri­ed abo­ut it so they say be­fo­re the Re­vo­lu­ti­on. Now most pe­op­le ha­ve to ... pe­op­le li­ke us, that is. The Ba­ron is rich. It wo­uld be a go­od thing if we got so­me mo­ney in­to the fa­mily. I am a prin­cess and he li­kes that. My grand­mot­her ma­na­ged to es­ca­pe the gu­il­lo­ti­ne. She went to Eng­land for a whi­le and had a baby the­re. That was my fat­her. He was a prin­ce, so when I was born I be­ca­me a prin­cess ... wit­ho­ut for­tu­ne, of co­ur­se, but our fa­mily was a very nob­le one. You see, the Ba­ron bo­asts abo­ut be­ing Nor­man, but that do­es not stop his wan­ting to marry in­to the ro­yal blo­od. It's so­met­hing to do with child­ren. I shall ha­ve to ha­ve a lot of child­ren.
The Ba­ron thinks it is ti­me he mar­ri­ed and pro­du­ced them, and be­ca­use I'm a prin­cess, I am the one cho­sen to be­ar them."
"It's a fa­mi­li­ar story," I sa­id.
"This sort of thing has be­en hap­pe­ning to pe­op­le for ge­ne­ra­ti­ons. Very of­ten it turns out well.
Some of the­se mar­ri­ages of con­ve­ni­en­ce are very happy. "
"How wo­uld you li­ke to marry the Ba­ron?"
I was not in ti­me to hi­de the lo­ok of re­vul­si­on which spre­ad ac­ross my fa­ce.
"There. You ha­ve spo­ken ... alt­ho­ugh you ha­ve sa­id no word. You ha­ve se­en him, you ha­ve spent so­me ti­me pa­in­ting his pic­tu­re, you know what he is li­ke. I dre­am of him so­me­ti­mes. I am lying in the mid­dle of a big bed and he is co­ming to­wards me. Then he's the­re ... smot­he­ring me and I ha­te it... ha­te it..."
I sa­id: "It wo­uld not be li­ke that at all. Wha­te­ver his fa­ults, the Ba­ron wo­uld ha­ve go­od man­ners ... erin the bedc­ham­ber."
"What do you know abo­ut his man­ners in the bedc­ham­ber?"
I qu­ickly ad­mit­ted that I knew not­hing.
"Then how can you talk of them? I am so frigh­te­ned of this mar­ri­age.
Even if I got used to him, it wo­uld be ter­rib­le ha­ving all tho­se child­ren . all that dis­com­fort and pa­in as well as the way of get­ting them. "
"My de­ar Prin­ces­se, I be­li­eve you ha­ve be­en lis­te­ning to lu­rid gos­sip."
"I know how ba­bi­es are con­ce­ived. I know how they are born. Per­haps it is all right with so­me­one you lo­ve. But when you ha­te ... and you know he do­esn't re­al­ly li­ke you ... and you ha­ve to go on do­ing that for ye­ars and ye­ars ..."
"This is an ext­ra­or­di­nary con­ver­sa­ti­on."
"I tho­ught you wan­ted to get to know me."
"I do, and I un­ders­tand how you fe­el. I wish the­re we­re so­met­hing I co­uld do to help you."
She was smi­ling at me, swe­etly, pat­he­ti­cal­ly, and I tho­ught: If I co­uld cap­tu­re that smi­le it wo­uld be be­a­uti­ful.
"You might," she was sa­ying.
"Who knows? At le­ast I can talk to you."
That was the na­tu­re of our con­ver­sa­ti­on. It me­ant that our fri­ends­hip was gro­wing, and I tho­ught she was be­gin­ning to li­ke me.
She cer­ta­inly ca­me punc­tu­al­ly to her sit­tings and wan­ted to go on tal­king af­ter I had la­id down my brus­hes.
I now had me­als with the Prin­ces­se and the Com­tes­se. I had he­ard the Prin­ces­se tel­ling the Com­tes­se that ar­tists must be tre­ated with res­pect. God ma­de them and men ma­de kings.
She was a se­ri­o­us girl. I think she had pro­bably had a sad upb­rin­ging and as an orp­han had be­en pas­sed from one mem­ber of the fa­mily to anot­her her gre­at as­set be­ing her tit­le.
After each sit­ting she wo­uld lo­ok at the port­ra­it. I was ple­ased that she li­ked it.
"My no­se lo­oks inc­hes short­ci," she com­men­ted.
"If that we­re true it wo­uld not be the­re at all. On a tiny pic­tu­re li­ke that a frac­ti­on of an inch can de­ci­de whet­her yo­ur no­se is ho­oked or ret­ro­us­se."
How cle­ver you are! You ha­ve ma­de me lo­ok much pret­ti­er than I am.
"
"That is how I see you. You are pret­ti­er when you smi­le."
"That's why you want to ma­ke me smi­le all the ti­me, is it?"
"I li­ke a smi­le for the port­ra­it, but I li­ke it any­way, and if I we­re not pa­in­ting yo­ur port­ra­it I sho­uld still want to ma­ke you smi­le."
She did not say that she enj­oyed the sit­tings, but it was ob­vi­o­us that she did. The­re we­re no mo­re bro­ken ap­po­int­ments and on­ce she sa­id:
"Don't fi­nish it too so­on, will you, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son?"
She wan­ted to know what I was go­ing to do when I fi­nis­hed he­re. I told her that first I sho­uld go ho­me. I desc­ri­bed Col­li­son Ho­use to her and the ne­igh­bo­ur­ho­od as well. She lis­te­ned avidly.
"But you will co­me back to Fran­ce," she sa­id.
"I ha­ve se­ve­ral com­mis­si­ons."
"And you will marry Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer."
"That's for the fu­tu­re."
"You are lucky. I wish I we­re go­ing to marry Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer."
"You don't know him."
"I do. I've met him at se­ve­ral ho­uses. He is hand­so­me and char­ming .. and kind. I sup­po­se you're in lo­ve with each ot­her."
"That wo­uld se­em a very go­od re­ason for mar­rying."
"Not a mar­ri­age of con­ve­ni­en­ce for you."
"I ha­ve no grand tit­les and I don't think he has vast we­alth."
"Lucky pe­op­le!" She sig­hed and was sad aga­in.
The next day she ca­me to her sit­ting in a mo­od of ex­ci­te­ment.
"I'll tell you right away. We are in­vi­ted to a.Jete cham­pet­re. Do you know what that is?"
J
"My know­led­ge of the French lan­gu­age ma­kes it per­fectly cle­ar to me."
"What do you call it in Eng­lish?"
"Oh ... an al fres­co party ... a pic­nic."
"A pic­nic. I li­ke that. Pic­nic." She re­pe­ated the word la­ug­hing.
"But a. fe­te cham­pet­re so­unds far mo­re be­a­uti­ful."
"It do­es in­de­ed. But tell me abo­ut this party to which you and the Com­tes­se are in­vi­ted."
"It is at the ho­use and gar­dens of the fa­mily L'Estran­ge. Evet­te L'Estran­ge in­vi­tes us. The ho­use ne­ar St. Clo­ud is very char­ming. The fe­te is an an­nu­al event with them. We ha­ve ... what is it ... a pic­nic? ... in the gar­dens and fi­elds. And the­re is the ri­ver and lit­tle bo­ats and swans. It is very char­ming. Evet­te L'Estran­ge en­ga­ges the best mu­si­ci­ans to play for us."
"You will enj­oy it."
"And so will you."

"I?"

"When I sa­id we, I did not me­an the Com­tes­se. I me­ant you and me. They are an­xi­o­us to me­et the fa­mo­us ar­tist. They ha­ve he­ard of yo­ur fa­me."
"I don't be­li­eve it."
"Do you tell me I lie, Ma­de­mo­isel­le? Let me tell you that the Ba­ron is so ple­ased with the pic­tu­re you did of him that he is tel­ling ever­yo­ne abo­ut it. It se­ems as tho­ugh a gre­at many pe­op­le want to me­et you."
I was overw­hel­med. I did not know whet­her I was ple­ased or not. I did not want too much to be ex­pec­ted of me un­til I had pro­ved myself. I had had my suc­cess with the Ba­ron's pic­tu­re, but first I wan­ted to ma­ke su­re that I co­uld re­pe­at it. I wan­ted to bu­ild up gra­du­al­ly. At the sa­me ti­me all this ap­pre­ci­ati­on was very swe­et.
"What shall you we­ar?" de­man­ded the Prin­ces­se.
"You ha­ven't &nyfite cham­pet­re clot­hes ha­ve you?"
I ag­re­ed that that was very li­kely, and she sa­id that she tho­ught her se­amst­ress co­uld ma­ke a dress for me in an af­ter­no­on. It had to be rat­her simp­le . it was that sort of oc­ca­si­on.
"Rather li­ke Ma­rie An­to­inet­te pla­ying at be­ing a co­untry girl at the Ha­me­au."
"You se­em to know a gre­at de­al abo­ut our his­tory. Mo­re than I do."
"You wo­uld find it in­te­res­ting to know mo­re per­haps."
"What I do know is the sort of dress you must ha­ve. Mus­lin with sprigs of flo­wers on it... gre­en for you ... and a whi­te straw hat trim­med with gre­en rib­bons."
She was as go­od as her word and the next day the dress was ma­de. The ma­te­ri­al was not mus­lin but fi­ne cot­ton and the de­co­ra­ti­on lit­tle gre­en bells not sprigs of flo­wers. It didn't mat­ter. It was char­ming to see the Prin­ces­se so ple­ased and de­ter­mi­ned to ma­ke me lo­ok right for the­j­ete cham­pet­re.
She and I went off to­get­her in the car­ri­age. The­re was a cer­ta­in air of reck­les­sness abo­ut her which puz­zled me. I tho­ught how chil­dish she was sin­ce the pros­pect of an en­ter­ta­in­ment li­ke this co­uld dri­ve all tho­ughts of her mar­ri­age from her mind; she cer­ta­inly knew how to li­ve in the mo­ment, which was per­haps just as well.
It was a very ple­asant af­ter­no­on. I was warmly re­ce­ived by Evet­te L'Estran­ge a yo­ung wo­man with a much ol­der hus­band. The­re was a step­son, Ar­mand, who must ha­ve be­en abo­ut twenty ye­ars old.
Several pe­op­le ca­me up to tell me that they had he­ard of the won­der­ful port­ra­it I had do­ne of the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le, and they ho­ped they might be al­lo­wed to see the one I was pa­in­ting now.
It was all very enj­oyab­le.
And then I had my surp­ri­se. The fo­od was abo­ut to be ser­ved and tab­les had be­en set up in the lar­ge fi­eld. Flun­keys we­re run­ning abo­ut in all di­rec­ti­ons and the whi­te tab­lec­loths lo­oked very pretty flut­te­ring in the light bre­eze. They we­re un­do­ing the ham­pers and ta­king out cut­lets, cold ve­ni­son, chic­ken and pi­es with a va­ri­ety of swe­et­me­ats.
Wine was spark­ling in the glas­ses.
Someone from be­hind me sa­id: "Shall we find a pla­ce and sit to­get­her."
I swung ro­und. Bert­rand was smi­ling at me.
He to­ok my hands and held them tightly; then he kis­sed me on eit­her che­ek.
"Kate," he sa­id, 'it's won­der­ful to see you. "
"Did you ..."
"Did I know you wo­uld be he­re?" He nod­ded.
"Evette L'Estran­ge is a gre­at fri­end of my mot­her. My mot­her is he­re.
She is with my fat­her and sis­ter. They wish to me­et you. They are de­ligh­ted and are won­de­ring what such a fa­mo­us lady can pos­sibly see in me."
I gas­ped.
"Famous!" I cri­ed.
"But it is only sin­ce the ..."
I stop­ped, not wan­ting to men­ti­on his na­me on such a day. This was a day for hap­pi­ness.
The we­at­her was per­fect. The sun warm but not too hot. Ele­gant men and wo­men . they all se­emed be­a­uti­ful and they we­re all char­ming and kind to me. It was in­de­ed a won­der­ful day.
I was warmly ac­cep­ted by the Mor­te­mer fa­mily. I knew then that I wan­ted this mar­ri­age. It was the first ti­me I had felt so su­re.
Previously I had tho­ught that I had be­en car­ri­ed along too fast and too many new imp­res­si­ons had co­me too qu­ickly. Bert­rand had se­emed de­light­ful be­ca­use he was such a cont­rast to the Ba­ron. Everyt­hing had be­en so dif­fe­rent from what I had known be­fo­re. I had be­en be­mu­sed, be­daz­zled by dif­fe­rent cus­toms and pe­op­le who se­emed so far apart from the mun­da­ne li­fe at Far­ring­don. But now I felt at ho­me he­re, and it was Bert­rand's pe­op­le who had ma­de me fe­el that.
I had a long talk with his mot­her, who sa­id she qu­ite un­ders­to­od that I sho­uld want to wa­it a lit­tle ti­me be­fo­re mar­rying. She had exp­la­ined this to the im­pa­ti­ent Bert­rand. She sa­id:
"It has all be­en so qu­ick, my de­ar. You ha­ve be­en rus­hed off yo­ur fe­et. Go ho­me and tell them all abo­ut it... and then you will see that it is right for you."
I tho­ught she was char­ming and I li­ked his fat­her and sis­ter. Ele­gant as they we­re, the­re was a ho­mely charm abo­ut them- and by that I me­ant a na­tu­ral­ness. And I was happy with them.
"You must bring yo­ur fat­her out to vi­sit us," they sa­id.
"The fa­mi­li­es must get to know each ot­her."
That se­emed an ex­cel­lent idea, I rep­li­ed. I had so­me com­mis­si­ons to do and sho­uld ha­ve to co­me back to Fran­ce very so­on. I wan­ted to go ho­me first, tho­ugh, be­ca­use I was a lit­tle an­xi­o­us abo­ut my fat­her.
She un­ders­to­od per­fectly.
That was a clo­ud­less af­ter­no­on and one which fil­led me with de­light-almost-be­ca­use I felt I knew which way I was go­ing. But two things did hap­pen in the la­te af­ter­no­on which ca­used me a prick or two of an­xi­ety.
Bertrand and I had left the rest of his fa­mily and ta­ken one of the bo­ats to row down the ri­ver.
I sat back un­der my suns­ha­de whi­le Bert­rand ro­wed. He sat the­re smi­ling con­ten­tedly, tal­king of our mar­ri­age.
"We sha­il not be rich," he sa­id, and ad­ded smi­ling: "But you will ha­ve to earn a lot of mo­ney for us with yo­ur pa­in­ting."
"I sho­uld li­ke to do that."
"Not for the mo­ney ... for the lo­ve of art, eh? I want you to be happy, Ka­te, and you ne­ver wo­uld be wit­ho­ut yo­ur pa­in­ting. We will turn one of the ro­oms at Mor­te­mer in­to a stu­dio for you."
"That wo­uld be lo­vely."
Oh, it was a per­fect day.
"You will plan how you wo­uld li­ke it when you co­me to stay with us. My mot­her sa­id you ha­ve pro­mi­sed to co­me ... you and yo­ur fat­her. Per­haps then we can ma­ke all the ne­ces­sary ar­ran­ge­ments."
"For the ro­om?"
"For our mar­ri­age. For both."
"I sho­uld li­ke a ro­om si­mi­lar to the one at Cen­te­vil­le."
It was tact­less. I had bro­ught a sha­dow in­to the per­fect day. I sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve men­ti­oned Cen­te­vil­le.
He was si­lent and I saw the an­ger in his fa­ce. He clenc­hed his fist and sa­id: "I co­uld mur­der him."
"Don't think of him ... on a day li­ke this."
But Bert­rand co­uld not stop thin­king of him.
"If you co­uld ha­ve se­en him ..." he went on.
"He sat the­re ... smi­ling.
"I want her set­tled," he sa­id.
"I'm fond of Ni­co­le You li­ke her, too. You won't suf­fer for it..." I co­uld not be­li­eve my ears. "
"Never mind," I sa­id so­ot­hingly.
"It's over. You told him cle­arly what you tho­ught of such a sug­ges­ti­on."
"He lo­oked at me as tho­ugh he co­uld ha­ve kil­led me when I sho­uted at him. It's not of­ten pe­op­le sho­ut at him. I sa­id:
"Keep yo­ur cast-off mist­ress. I wo­uldn't to­uch any wo­man of yo­urs. It wo­uld ma­ke me sick every ti­me I went ne­ar her. I'd think of you with her ... all the ti­me."
"Forget it," I ple­aded.
"It's over."
But Bert­rand co­uld not stop. He went on: "He sa­id:
"You're go­ing to marry my mist­ress and not be a fo­ol. It'll be the ma­king of you." I went mad then. I sho­uted at him. I told him:
"Never, ne­ver, ne­ver ..." And then I ca­me away. I don't sup­po­se an­yo­ne has ever spo­ken to him li­ke that be­fo­re. "
"You ma­de yo­ur fe­elings very cle­ar to him. Now, do let's for­get him.
You ne­ed ne­ver see him aga­in. He might try to harm you. But how co­uld he? Fi­nan­ci­al­ly? Ne­ver mind. We don't want mo­ney that co­mes thro­ugh him. I'll pa­int. It will be a won­der­ful li­fe. "
He smi­led at me and went back to his ro­wing in si­len­ce But the ma­gic had go­ne from the day.
The ot­her in­ci­dent con­cer­ned the Prin­ces­se.
I saw her co­me out from the wo­ods along the ri­ver bank, hand in hand with Ar­mand L'Estran­ge. She lo­oked flus­hed and very happy and the­re was abo­ut her an air of. what I can only desc­ri­be as pro­ud de­fi­an­ce.
For a mo­ment I was start­led; and then I tho­ught: She is only a child.
We we­re si­lent as we ro­de back to Pa­ris. I tho­ught how be­a­uti­ful the city lo­oked in the fa­ding light as we ca­me thro­ugh the Bo­is de Bo­ulog­ne past the Arc de Tri­omp­he and in­to the Rue du Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int-Ho­no­re.
At length the Prin­ces­se spo­ke.
"What an ex­ci­ting day! For both of us, I think. So it is now de­fi­ni­te. You are go­ing to be Ma­da­me de Mor­te­mer. As for me ... who knows?"
She was so happy. I was not go­ing to ma­ke the mis­ta­ke of men­ti­oning the Ba­ron's na­me for the se­cond ti­me that day.
The day af­ter the­j­ete cham­pet­re the Prin­ces­se was not well. She was pa­le, list­less and dep­res­sed. Po­or child, I tho­ught. Her co­ming mar­ri­age alarms her so much and she can't for­get that it is co­ming ne­arer and ne­arer every day. She did not lo­ok in the le­ast li­ke the pretty yo­ung girl who was be­gin­ning to emer­ge in the mi­ni­atu­re.
Marie-Claude was no be­a­uty; her fe­atu­res we­re ir­re­gu­lar and the lo­wer part ot­her fa­ce too he­avy; she had to be happy to be at­trac­ti­ve. She was ef­fer­ves­cent by na­tu­re, and when I tho­ught of the happy girl at the­re­to cham­pet­re she se­emed to be­ar lit­tle re­la­ti­ons­hip to this pa­le-fa­ced girl in the bed.
She did not le­ave her ro­om and sit­tings we­re can­cel­led. She did ask me to sit with her, which I was glad to do. At ti­mes I tho­ught she was on the po­int of con­fi­ding in me but I did not en­co­ura­ge this be­ca­use I knew it was go­ing to be abo­ut her fe­ars for her co­ming mar­ri­age, and the­re was lit­tle I co­uld say to com­fort her abo­ut that. To tell her that mar­ri­ages of con­ve­ni­en­ce of­ten tur­ned out hap­pily was ba­nal re­al­ly. I tri­ed to put myself in her pla­ce. I was su­re I sho­uld ha­ve do­ne so­met­hing abo­ut it. But how co­uld I pre­ach re­bel­li­on to my po­or help­less lit­tle Prin­ces­se?
I tri­ed to talk of ot­her things of my ho­me and the li­fe we led in Far­ring­don; and so­me­ti­mes I ma­de her smi­le a lit­tle.
I to­ok a walk every af­ter­no­on. Each day the spell of Pa­ris wo­ve it­self mo­re tightly abo­ut me. I was enc­han­ted by this be­a­uti­ful city and I tho­ro­ughly enj­oyed exp­lo­ring it. Ma­rie Cla­ude tho­ught I was very ad­ven­tu­ro­us, for she was na­tu­ral­ly not al­lo­wed to go out wit­ho­ut a cha­pe­ro­ne. I felt free in­de­pen­dent of ever­yo­ne. Af­ter all, he­re I was exe­cu­ting a com­mis­si­on for a nob­le­man of Fran­ce. When I ca­me to think of it, the Ba­ron had do­ne a go­od de­al for me. Not only had he gi­ven me ack­now­led­ge­ment of my art but he had ma­de a per­son of me in my own right. I sup­po­se I sho­uld be gra­te­ful for that.
I must stop thin­king of the man. He had even int­ru­ded in­to the won­der­ful af­ter­no­on oft­he­j­ete cham­pet­re and bro­ught an ugly clo­ud.
Because of him po­or Ma­rie-Cla­ude was suf­fe­ring at this mo­ment for I was su­re her il­lness was not­hing mo­re than an at­tack of ner­vo­us ap­pre­hen­si­on. Me­anw­hi­le her in­dis­po­si­ti­on ga­ve me free ti­me to exp­lo­re du­ring an ex­ten­ded stay in Pa­ris. I was not sorry, be­ca­use I was a lit­tle tro­ub­led by the mi­ni­atu­re. I did want to get so­met­hing as go­od as the one I had do­ne of the Ba­ron but at the sa­me ti­me I was eager to ma­ke the Prin­ces­se ap­pe­ar at her most at­trac­ti­ve. Oddly eno­ugh, the Ba­ron had be­en an easi­er su­bj­ect.
I wo­uld go out every af­ter­no­on at two o'clock pre­ci­sely and I co­ve­red a gre­at de­al of gro­und, for I was a go­od wal­ker. I wan­de­red thro­ugh the stre­ets down the Ave­nue du­Bo­is de Bo­ulog­ne to the Lo­uv­re and fo­und my way to the Gar­dens of the Lu­xem­bo­urg. Most imp­res­si­ve of all was the gre­at Cat­hed­ral of Not­re Da­me. From the mo­ment I en­te­red it I felt a tre­men­do­us ex­ci­te­ment. It was glo­omy in­si­de and a scent of in­cen­se hung in the air. I exp­lo­red a lit­tle, but I knew this was not the way to see the cat­hed­ral and that I sho­uld co­me back and back aga­in for as long as that we­re pos­sib­le. All that I had ever he­ard abo­ut the pla­ce ca­me flo­oding back to me. I re­mem­be­red that our own Henry the Sixth had be­en crow­ned King of Fran­ce he­re mo­re than fo­ur hund­red ye­ars ago.
Later Hen­ri of Na­var­re had mar­ri­ed Mar­gu­eri­te de Va­lo­is- in the porch be­ca­use as a Hu­gu­enot he was not al­lo­wed in­si­de- and that mar­ri­age had be­en fol­lo­wed by the ter­rib­le mas­sac­re ofSt. Bart­ho­lo­mew; and twenty ye­ars la­ter when he had ta­ken pos­ses­si­on of the city, the sa­me Hen­ri, ha­ving ag­re­ed to be­co­me a Cat­ho­lic, had sa­id it was worth a mass.
I was fas­ci­na­ted by the hi­de­o­us gar­goy­les, and I sto­od for a long ti­me ga­zing from one to anot­her won­de­ring why it had be­en tho­ught ne­ces­sary to adorn but per­haps that was hardly the word- such a holy pla­ce with such de­mo­ni­acal fi­gu­res. The exp­res­si­ons in the fa­ces we­re so­met­hing one wo­uld see in night­ma­res. In­de­ed I won­de­red whet­her I sho­uld ever for­get them. What did they me­an to con­vey? Cun­ning . yes, that was the­re . cru­elty, lust, gre­ed . all the se­ven de­adly sins. And abo­ve all, I think, a cer­ta­in cyni­cism.
As I sto­od the­re lo­oking at them, one of the­se- the most sa­tur­ni­ne of them all- se­emed to mo­ve and the fe­atu­res sli­de in­to a dif­fe­rent sha­pe.
For a mo­ment I tho­ught it was the Ba­ron who was lo­oking at me.
He lo­oked li­ke a de­mon. What had he cal­led him­self? The De­mon Lo­ver?
Lover! It was hardly li­kely that he wo­uld ever lo­ve an­yo­ne but him­self. I sta­red. The sto­ne had set back in­to that cru­el fa­ce and it co­uld ha­ve be­en la­ug­hing at me.
I must get that man out of my mind.
I had sta­yed lon­ger than I re­ali­zed and de­ci­ded I wo­uld ta­ke a cab.
There was one wa­iting by the cat­hed­ral and I ha­iled it, ga­ve the coc­ker inst­ruc­ti­ons. He to­uc­hed his whi­te hat and we set off.
After that I ma­de a ha­bit of using cabs. I fo­und that I co­uld wan­der whe­re I li­ked, stay lon­ger and then simply ha­il a cab and be back at the ho­use at the ti­me I set myself.
The Prin­ces­se was al­ways in­te­res­ted to he­ar whe­re I had be­en and I li­ked to talk abo­ut my lit­tle trips. I think she was be­gin­ning to see Pa­ris thro­ugh new eyes.
I told her that I had be­en to the cat­hed­ral and how enth­ral­ling I had fo­und it. I in­ten­ded to go back the fol­lo­wing day.
"It's qu­ite a long way."
"I'm a go­od wal­ker and I can ta­ke a cab back."
"You are lucky, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Ka­te. How won­der­ful it must be to be free."
I lo­oked at her sadly. I knew that this il­lness of hers was just a de­si­re to hold back ti­me. She did not want the mi­ni­atu­re to be fi­nis­hed; he­re in her bed she fo­und a small re­fu­ge aga­inst the enc­ro­ac­hing fu­tu­re.
The fol­lo­wing mor­ning when I was pre­pa­ring to go out af­ter de­j­e­uner at the usu­al ho­ur of two o'clock she as­ked if I was go­ing to Not­re Da­me and if so wo­uld I call in at the lit­tle mo­dis­te's shop clo­se by. She wan­ted me to ta­ke a no­te the­re. It was abo­ut a hat she wan­ted ma­de.
I went to the cat­hed­ral. I had ta­ken a sketch-bo­ok this ti­me and I sat in­si­de and ma­de a few sketc­hes, but all the ti­me what I re­al­ly wan­ted to sketch was the gar­goy­les. I did so­me from me­mory, but I tho­ught I in­ven­ted exp­res­si­ons and in all of them the­re was so­met­hing which re­min­ded me of the Ba­ron.
I ca­me out of the cat­hed­ral and fo­und my way to the mo­dis­te's shop. I de­li­ve­red the mes­sa­ge and to­ok a cab back to the ho­use.
When I went in to tell Ma­rie-Cla­ude that I had gi­ven in the no­te she se­emed bet­ter.
"I want you to go aga­in to­mor­row," she sa­id, 'and ma­ke su­re the mo­dis­te can carry out the or­der. "
The next day I did the sa­me. They we­re still wa­iting for de­li­very of the ma­te­ri­al, they told me.
I went back in a cab. I re­al­ly enj­oyed the­se trips ac­ross the City, and I was be­gin­ning to know the stre­ets thro­ugh which we pas­sed. I had a go­od sen­se of lo­ca­ti­on and when I re­tur­ned to the ho­use and tal­ked to Ma­rie-Gla­ude I felt a gre­at de­si­re for this to go on. Li­ke her, I did not want ti­me to pass too qu­ickly; li­ke her, per­haps I was ap­pre­hen­si­ve abo­ut the fu­tu­re and that was what ma­de the pre­sent so de­si­rab­le. I was still un­su­re abo­ut my mar­ri­age. Wasn't I mar­rying in­to a fo­re­ign co­untry and to a man whom I had known for a very short ti­me? Had Ma­rie-Cla­ude ma­de me re­ali­ze the pit­fal­ls one co­uld find in mar­ri­age?
Had I plun­ged in­to this re­la­ti­ons­hip too im­pul­si­vely? Was I ca­ught up in the ex­ci­te­ment of so much that was new? Wo­uld I do bet­ter to go ho­me and think abo­ut it all for a whi­le?
Each day I sa­id: "Do you fe­el re­ady to re­su­me the sit­ting?"
"Another day," she wo­uld in­sist.
But the next day it wo­uld be "Not just yet .. per­haps to­mor­row."
I had pa­id se­ve­ral vi­sits to the mo­dis­te's shop.
"I am so eager to he­ar that she has what I want," sa­id Ma­rie Cla­ude "It is so im­por­tant that it sho­uld be exactly right. So you still go to Not­re Da­me?"
"I am in­te­res­ted in the sur­ro­un­ding dist­rict. But... I can al­ways go whe­re­ver you want me to."
"Thank you. Don't wan­der in­to any of tho­se nar­row win­ding stre­ets which I be­li­eve are so­mew­he­re ne­ar the cat­hed­ral. The­re is a dist­rict whe­re they used to ma­ke the dyes ... and the­re are stre­ets whe­re wo­men li­ve ... the Stre­et of Pros­ti­tu­tes. Oh de­ar. Ma­de­mo­isel­le Ka­te, ta­ke ca­re and do not go the­re. The­re are thi­eves who ha­ve all sorts of ways of rob­bing you. You can't ima­gi­ne how wic­ked they can be."
I as­su­red her that I co­uld.
"So avo­id the nar­row stre­ets. The Em­pe­ror has wi­de­ned a gre­at many of the ro­ads, but the­re are still so­me of tho­se wic­ked ones re­ma­ining."
"Never fe­ar. When in do­ubt I ta­ke a cab."
"Are the coc­kers po­li­te?"
"Moderately. So­me of them pre­tend they can­not un­ders­tand me. It's my ac­cent, I sup­po­se. They ma­ke me re­pe­at Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int-Ho­no­re so­me­ti­mes, and for the li­fe of me I can­not see the dif­fe­ren­ce in the way in which I say it and the way they do."
"It's be­ca­use they know you're a fo­re­ig­ner and they pro­bably gu­ess that you're Eng­lish at that."
"A do­ub­le fa­ult," I sa­id lightly.
"Oh, I ha­ve no fe­ar of the coc­kers.
I li­ke them. In fact they all lo­ok ali­ke in the­ir blue co­ats and whi­te hats. "
"Don't for­get to call at the mo­dis­te's."
I did call the­re and it was af­ter that when the stran­ge thing hap­pe­ned and I was plun­ged in­to ter­ror.
I went to the shop. Yes, the­re was go­od news. The ma­te­ri­als had ar­ri­ved and Ma­da­me wo­uld gi­ve me a no­te to ta­ke to the Prin­ces­se desc­ri­bing in de­ta­il what they had. They wo­uld go ahe­ad with the work as so­on as she ga­ve them per­mis­si­on.
I ca­me out of the shop. It was a rat­her hazy af­ter­no­on-hot but not sunny. I lo­oked for a cab. So­me­ti­mes I had to walk a lit­tle way be­fo­re I fo­und one, but on this af­ter­no­on one was just cru­ising past as I emer­ged. The coc­ker slo­wed down. I step­ped to­wards him and told him whe­re I wan­ted to go. The­re was no pre­ten­ce this ti­me of not un­ders­tan­ding.
I set­tled down, de­ligh­ted that my mis­si­on to the mo­dis­te had at last pro­ved suc­ces­sful. I won­de­red va­gu­ely why the Prin­ces­se did not send for the mo­dis­te. Why did she send tho­se mes­sa­ges back and forth? She must be bu­ying lots of hats and glo­ves for her wed­ding. I wo­uld ask her. I had be­en so im­mer­sed in my own da­ily ad­ven­tu­res, and be­ca­use of my lo­ve of exp­lo­ra­ti­on and comp­le­te fas­ci­na­ti­on with the Cat­hed­ral I had not gi­ven much tho­ught to the mat­ter un­til now. Ma­ne-Cla­ude was a stran­ge girl and was ca­pab­le of ma­king an ad­ven­tu­re out of bu­ying hats.
I lo­oked up. I did not know the stre­et we we­re in. Per­haps in a mo­ment we wo­uld bre­ak in­to one of the fa­mi­li­ar bo­ule­vards.
We did not. I tho­ught the dri­ver was dri­ving rat­her fast.
I cal­led out: "Did you he­ar me cor­rectly? I want to go to the Rue du Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int-Ho­no­re."
He tur­ned his he­ad slightly and sho­uted: "A short cut."
I sat back. A short cut! But whe­re we­re we?
Five mi­nu­tes la­ter I star­ted to get se­ri­o­usly alar­med. I cal­led out:
"You are not ta­king me to the Sa­int-Ho­no­re."
He did not lo­ok ro­und but me­rely nod­ded.
Then I tho­ught of Ma­rie-Cla­ude's war­nings. They did li­ke to play tricks on fo­re­ig­ners. He was go­ing to pre­tend he had not un­ders­to­od my ac­cent and ta­king me out of my way wo­uld de­mand a lar­ge fa­re.
"Stop!" I cri­ed.
"I want to talk to you."
But he did not stop. He whip­ped up the hor­ses and we we­re now tra­vel­ling at a gre­at spe­ed and I was get­ting re­al­ly frigh­te­ned. Whe­re was he ta­king me . and for what pur­po­se?
I lo­oked out of the win­dow. I had ne­ver se­en this dist­rict of Pa­ris be­fo­re. I be­li­eved he was ta­king me away from the cent­re of the City.
The palms of my hands we­re clammy. What did it me­an? What co­uld his mo­ti­ve be? Was he go­ing to at­tack me? I ima­gi­ned him dri­ving his cab in­to so­me dark co­ach-ho­use. Per­haps he wo­uld kill me. What for? I had lit­tle jewel­lery. I did not lo­ok exactly rich.
I must do so­met­hing. We we­re still in a bu­ilt-up area and we­re pas­sing thro­ugh stre­ets with shops on eit­her si­de. I must try to at­tract so­me­one's at­ten­ti­on. I must not al­low
Q
myself to be dri­ven out of the bu­ilt-up area.
I knoc­ked on the win­dow. No one lo­oked my way. I sup­po­sed I co­uld not be he­ard abo­ve the no­ise of the stre­et.
We had ro­un­ded a bend in the ro­ad. Ahe­ad of us cabs and car­ri­ages we­re clo­se to­get­her. My myste­ri­o­us coc­ker had slac­ke­ned spe­ed. He had to.
There was no help for it.
Now, I sa­id to myself. Now. It co­uld be my only chan­ce.
I ope­ned the do­or and jum­ped down in­to the "oad. So­me­one sho­uted at me. It must ha­ve be­en the dri­ver of an on­co­ming cab. I was qu­ick. I das­hed al­most un­der the hor­se's no­se and I was on the pa­ve­ment. I star­ted to run and I did not stop run­ning for fully fi­ve mi­nu­tes.
Then I pa­used and lo­oked abo­ut me. I was in a stre­et I did not know, but it was com­for­tingly crow­ded with shop­pers. Out­si­de a ca­fe pe­op­le we­re sip­ping cof­fee or ape­ri­tifs. Men and wo­men strol­led by and yo­ung girls with band­bo­xes on the­ir arms hur­ri­ed past me. I lo­oked abo­ut for a cab. I sho­uld be ter­ri­fi­ed to get in­to one aga­in; but I had to. It was ab­surd to be af­ra­id. They had al­ways be­en all right be­fo­re.
People lo­oked at me cu­ri­o­usly and lo­oked away, dis­mis­sing me no do­ubt as a to­urist, ga­zing abo­ut as she exp­lo­red the town.
I star­ted to walk and it se­emed that I wal­ked for mi­les, but 'my sen­se of di­rec­ti­on was go­od and I knew I was go­ing the right way. I must ha­ve wal­ked for ne­arly an ho­ur when the fa­mi­li­ar to­wers of Not­re Da­me lo­omed up in the dis­tan­ce.
I knew whe­re I was then.
I had to ta­ke a cab. I co­uld not pos­sibly walk all the way back.
There we­re plenty abo­ut now. Wo­uld I know my co cher aga­in? What if he had fol­lo­wed me and was wa­iting to pick me up?
I had to ta­ke a chan­ce.
I ha­iled a cab. My re­li­ef was in­ten­se. The coc­ker was a mid­dle-aged man with a big mo­us­tac­he. I as­ked if he wo­uld ta­ke me to the Rue du Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int-Ho­no­re.

D.

L.

- E "But cer­ta­inly, Ma­de­mo­isel­le," he sa­id with a smi­le, and so­on we we­re rat­tling along the fa­mi­li­ar stre­ets.
With gre­at re­li­ef I en­te­red the ho­use. I had emer­ged from a ter­rif­ying ad­ven­tu­re . un­har­med.
As so­on as I was in the ho­use I re­mem­be­red the no­te which I had car­ri­ed for the Prin­ces­se. I to­ok off my clo­ak and went im­me­di­ately to her ro­om.
"Have you got..." she be­gan. She stop­ped. Then she went on:
"Mademoiselle Col­li­son ... Ka­te ... what has hap­pe­ned? You lo­ok as if you ha­ve se­en a ghost."
I sa­id: "I ha­ve just had a ter­rif­ying ad­ven­tu­re."
She clutc­hed the let­ter in her hand and was al­re­ady ope­ning it.
"What?" she cri­ed.
She glan­ced at the let­ter and her lips cur­led up at the cor­ners. Then she lo­oked at me wa­iting.
I sa­id: "I went in­to the mo­dis­te's shop and when I ca­me out I got in­to a cab. The­re se­emed not­hing unu­su­al abo­ut it. The coc­ker lo­oked li­ke all ot­her coc­kers in his blue co­at and whi­te hat. Then I no­ti­ced we we­ren't go­ing the right way. I spo­ke to him. He sa­id it was a short cut. But so­on ... I knew he was ta­king me so­mew­he­re el­se ..."
"Kate! What for?"
"I've no idea. He dro­ve me ac­ross the City, and when he knew that I'd re­ali­zed so­met­hing was wrong, he star­ted to dri­ve very fast. I knew then that he had be­en wa­iting for me ... with his cab ... It was just out­si­de the mo­dis­te's. He wasn't go­ing to stop. Thank God we got in­to a hud­dle of traf­fic and I was ab­le to jump out. Ot­her­wi­se ..."
"Otherwise? Oh... what can it me­an?"
"I can only think that he was go­ing to rob me ... per­haps mur­der me."
Oh no! "
"But su­rely if it was rob­bery, he wo­uld ha­ve cho­sen so­me­one el­se. The­re was not­hing I had that was worth ta­king all that tro­ub­le for."
She was lo­oking at the let­ter in her hand. Then she sa­id slowly: "You had this. That was what it was. It was the Ba­ron. He knows. It is one of his men. He has spi­es everyw­he­re. He knew. He wan­ted the let­ter."
"Tell me what you me­an," I com­man­ded.
"This let­ter is not­hing abo­ut hats. I use the mo­dis­te as a sort of pas­te rest an­te "Who was the let­ter from?"
She he­si­ta­ted and then sa­id: "Armand L'Estran­ge."
"So you ha­ve be­en car­rying on a cor­res­pon­den­ce with him and I ha­ve be­en yo­ur co­uri­er?"
She nod­ded.
"I knew the mo­dis­te wo­uld help so I ar­ran­ged with her to ta­ke let­ters from me to him and for him to le­ave his the­re to be col­lec­ted."
"I see," I sa­id slowly.
"You don't see half of it. I'm in lo­ve with Ar­mand. That's what ma­kes everyt­hing so much wor­se. We're lo­vers, Ka­te. Re­al lo­vers. I me­an we ha­ve be­en with each ot­her as mar­ri­ed pe­op­le."
"Oh!"
"You're shoc­ked. You pre­tend to be so ad­van­ced, but you're shoc­ked. I lo­ve Ar­mand and he lo­ves me."
"Perhaps a mar­ri­age can be ar­ran­ged. It is not too la­te."
"The Ba­ron has de­ci­ded to marry me!"
"It ta­kes two to ma­ke a de­ci­si­on."
"No one wo­uld ever let it hap­pen. Ar­mand wo­uldn't eit­her. The Ba­ron co­uld ru­in him. But that do­esn't pre­vent our ... be­ing to­get­her .. when we can ar­ran­ge it."
"But you are so yo­ung."
"I'm old eno­ugh. I am se­ven­te­en. It star­ted be­fo­re my se­ven­te­enth birth­day. Don't think the first ti­me was at the fe­te cham­pet­re."
I was trying hard to ta­ke in what this me­ant. It was fol­lo­wing too clo­sely on that ot­her shock for me to think cle­arly. I was so sorry for the po­or girl lying in the bed. She was truly ter­ri­fi­ed.
She sa­id, her vo­ice shrill with fe­ar: "He knows. He has dis­co­ve­red. He knew you went to the mo­dis­te's shop to col­lect the no­tes and de­li­ver them, so he had you way­la­id. You wo­uld ha­ve be­en dri­ven so­mew­he­re and the no­te ta­ken from you."
"It is too wild a sche­me."
"Not for him. Not­hing is too wild for him. He wo­uld ha­ve a watch on me. Per­haps he had he­ard ru­mo­urs abo­ut me and Ar­mand. Pe­op­le talk and he wo­uld ha­ve ways of ma­king them talk. He has he­ard ru­mo­urs and trac­ked me down to the mo­dis­te's. That was why you we­re way­la­id. Thank God you es­ca­ped. If this let­ter had fal­len in­to his hands ..."
For a whi­le I be­li­eved her be­ca­use I was so sha­ken by my own ex­pe­ri­en­ce. I tho­ught of her ex­pe­ri­men­ting with lo­ve, for I was su­re that was what it was. She was so yo­ung; she had li­ved in such a shel­te­red fas­hi­on; it was cru­el to for­ce her in­to mar­ri­age with such a man.
I tri­ed to com­fort her, and as I did so I be­gan to see how ab­surd her co­nj­ec­tu­res we­re.
"My de­ar Prin­ces­se," I sa­id, 'if he had known the­re was a no­te at the mo­dis­te's shop all he had to do was go in and de­mand it. She wo­uldn't ha­ve da­red hold out aga­inst him. "
"No, this is li­ke him. He wo­uld ab­duct you and get the no­te from you and pre­tend it was nor­mal rob­bery. He wo­uldn't want me to know he knew. He wo­uld be thin­king of so­me ter­rib­le re­ven­ge for me. He is de­ter­mi­ned to marry me for my ro­yal blo­od. That's what he wants me for the con­ti­nu­al child­be­aring."
She lo­oked down at the no­te and kis­sed it ro­man­ti­cal­ly.
"If he knew we had be­en lo­vers, think of how fu­ri­o­us he wo­uld be."
"That might be sa­id to be a na­tu­ral emo­ti­on." '33 "I'm no vir­gin."
"He is hardly that him­self. Why don't you tell him everyt­hing that has hap­pe­ned? Tell him you lo­ve Ar­mand. Ask him to re­le­ase you."
"Are you mad? What wo­uld hap­pen to us all? The­re'd be ru­in. The L'Estran­ges wo­uld go crazy. He knows how to ta­ke his re­ven­ge."
"Can any man be as bad as we all se­em to think he is?"
"One man co­uld. And they want me to marry him!"
"I don't think you are right abo­ut the cab," I sa­id.
"I think it was pro­bably in­ten­ded rob­bery. On the ot­her hand, it might just ha­ve be­en an at­tempt to get a big fa­re out of me. The fact that I'm a fo­re­ig­ner wo­uld ma­ke it so easy for him to say he mi­sun­ders­to­od."
"It was the Ba­ron," sa­id the Prin­ces­se.
"I know." I went back to my ro­om. I was hor­ribly sha­ken not only by my ex­pe­ri­en­ce but by what the Prin­ces­se had told me.
Before the next we­ek was out I had fi­nis­hed the port­ra­it. It had be­en a busy we­ek for me. I to­ok short walks, ne­ver go­ing so far that I was not pre­pa­red to walk back. I had ta­ken a de­ep aver­si­on to cabs.
The Prin­ces­se brigh­te­ned up con­si­de­rably on the days af­ter her con­fes­si­on. She se­emed rat­her ple­ased with her­self, and the­re was an air of de­fi­an­ce abo­ut her. I co­uld de­tect the loss of in­no­cen­ce which I had co­me to re­ali­ze is so­me­ti­mes ap­pa­rent in very yo­ung girls who ha­ve had se­xu­al ex­pe­ri­en­ce.
I won­de­red what her fu­tu­re li­fe wo­uld be li­ke if she we­re ac­tu­al­ly go­ing thro­ugh with the mar­ri­age; and what his re­ac­ti­on wo­uld be if he dis­co­ve­red she had ta­ken a lo­ver be­fo­re mar­ri­age.
I did not li­ke to con­temp­la­te too de­eply. I saw a far from fe­li­ci­to­us uni­on. But that was no con­cern of mi­ne. I was me­rely the ar­tist who had pa­in­ted the mi­ni­atu­res of the bet­rot­hed pa­ir.
I was re­co­ve­ring from my ex­pe­ri­en­ce, which se­emed less ter­rif­ying on con­temp­la­ti­on. I cer­ta­inly did not be­li­eve the story of the Ba­ron's spy and was gro­wing mo­re and mo­re cer­ta­in that it had be­en a plan of rob­bery or misc­hi­ef. Had I go­ne on in the cab, I might ha­ve be­en rob­bed of my pos­ses­si­ons and left to find my way back or el­se pa­id an ex­ces­si­ve fa­re. Unp­le­asant, but not so very si­nis­ter.
The fi­nis­hed port­ra­it was ex­qu­isi­te. Not such a cle­ver pi­ece of work as that of the Ba­ron, but very char­ming in ap­pe­aran­ce. The mi­ni­atu­re was to be ta­ken back to Cen­te­vil­le so that the Ba­ron's jewel­ler wo­uld fit it in­to its fra­me.
A let­ter ar­ri­ved from the Ba­ron to me. It was writ­ten in per­fect Eng­lish, and I won­de­red if he had writ­ten it him­self or whet­her it was the work of his sec­re­tary.
My de­ar Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, I am very eager to see the mi­ni­atu­re.
Madame la Com­tes­se tells me that it is be­a­uti­ful. the sort of work I sho­uld ex­pect from you. I co­uld send so­me­one down to col­lect it. I wo­uld, ho­we­ver, be so ple­ased if you wo­uld bring it yo­ur­self. First I sho­uld li­ke to gi­ve you my opi­ni­on of it, and the­re is the mat­ter of the ac­co­unt to be set­tled.
Moreover, I do not li­ke the idea of this pre­ci­o­us pic­tu­re be­ing in any hands that do not un­ders­tand its va­lue.
You ha­ve be­en so go­od in the exe­cu­ti­on of this com­mis­si­on and yo­ur work has gi­ven me a gre­at de­al of ple­asu­re. May I enc­ro­ach on yo­ur go­od­ness to ob­li­ge me with this ot­her small ser­vi­ce?
Your ser­vant, Rol­lo de Cen­te­vil­le. ;
I let the let­ter fall from my hands. I had plan­ned to le­ave for the co­ast wit­hin a few days and then cross the Chan­nel for ho­me.
I had he­ard from my fat­her that he had ar­ri­ved ho­me sa­fely and that he was de­ligh­ted with my suc­cess. The en­terp­ri­se co­uld not ha­ve tur­ned out mo­re sa­tis­fac­to­rily, he po­in­ted out. He be­li­eved that so­on mi­ne wo­uld be a na­me to be rec­ko­ned with in the Pa­ris sa­lons . and ac­cla­im in Eng­land wo­uld na­tu­ral­ly fol­low.
If I went to Cen­te­vil­le my re­turn ho­me wo­uld be de­la­yed and I told myself that I was an­no­yed by this re­qu­est, but that was not exactly the truth. I sho­uld re­al­ly li­ke to go to Cen­te­vil­le on­ce mo­re; I sho­uld even li­ke to see the Ba­ron, for I did want to watch his fa­ce as he saw the mi­ni­atu­re for the first ti­me. That he wo­uld gi­ve a frank opi­ni­on, I knew; and if he we­re in­de­ed ple­ased with it, I sho­uld fe­el very happy in­de­ed be­ca­use wha­te­ver el­se he was the­re was no do­ubt that he was a prac­ti­sed con­no­is­se­ur.
There wo­uld be a de­lay of a we­ek, but I de­ci­ded I must go. He had do­ne so much for me. I had to do this small ser­vi­ce.
I wro­te to my fat­her and told him that my re­turn wo­uld be de­la­yed. I men­ti­oned that I had fi­nis­hed the pic­tu­re of the Prin­ces­se and was ple­ased with it. I now ho­ped the Ba­ron wo­uld be. I exp­la­ined that he wan­ted me to ta­ke it to him and that this was what I was do­ing.
"He has pro­mi­sed to pay me," I wro­te, 'and that is im­por­tant. So­me pe­op­le think it is a lit­tle bo­ur­ge­o­is to pay the­ir bills promptly and so­me­ti­mes ne­ver do, as you know well. It will be ni­ce to ha­ve the mo­ney and if he li­kes the port­ra­it I shall fe­el I re­al­ly am on my way.
"
The Prin­ces­se had be­en de­ligh­ted with the pic­tu­re.
"It flat­ters me," she sa­id.
"No," I told her.
"I just pa­in­ted you at yo­ur best."
She si­lently kis­sed me then.
"I'm sorry we ha­ve to say go­odb­ye to each ot­her," she sa­id sin­ce­rely.
"I ha­ve li­ked yo­ur be­ing he­re. And now you know my sec­rets."
"They will be sa­fe with me."
"Pray for me, Ka­te. Pray for me on my wed­ding night."
I la­id my hands on her sho­ul­ders and sa­id: "Don't be af­ra­id. If you ha­ve do­ne so­met­hing which is not right, re­mem­ber that he has too ... much wor­se, I ima­gi­ne."
"You are a com­fort. I ho­pe we me­et aga­in." Then I left the Rue du Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int-Ho­no­re and Pa­ris, which I had grown to lo­ve.
It was la­te af­ter­no­on when I to­ok the tra­in to Ro­u­en. -‹Ax^›‹^› 1 ar­ri­ved in Ro­u­en in go­od ti­me and the­re had to chan­ge to a branch li­ne which wo­uld ta­ke me to Cen­te­vil­le.
As I step­ped off the tra­in I was gre­eted by a man in the Cen­te­vil­le li­very. He sa­id: "It is Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son, I be­li­eve."
"That is so."
"There has be­en so­me tro­ub­le on the branch li­ne and the­re will be no mo­re tra­ins thro­ugh to­night. I ha­ve be­en sent from the cha­te­au to dri­ve you the­re. Ha­ve you the port­ra­it?"
I told him I had.
"That is go­od. If you will fol­low me I will ta­ke you to the car­ri­age."
I did so, and as I step­ped in­to the car­ri­age I won­de­red when I was go­ing to stop fe­eling that qu­iver of alarm every ti­me I got in­to a ve­hic­le of any sort.
It was fo­olish to fe­el this now. I was on my way to Cen­te­vil­le and sin­ce the­re we­re no tra­ins that night it was very tho­ught­ful of them to ha­ve sent the car­ri­age.
We dro­ve qu­ickly thro­ugh the stre­ets of the town and ca­me out in­to the open co­untry. It was just be­gin­ning to get dark.
"Is it far to the cha­te­au?" I as­ked.
"It's a fa­ir dri­ve, Ma­de­mo­isel­le. We co­uld be the­re in just over an ho­ur. The ro­ads aren't very go­od tho­ugh. It's all that ra­in we've be­en ha­ving."
"Do they of­ten ha­ve mis­haps on the ra­il­way li­ne?"
"On the branch one now and then. They're not li­ke the ma­in li­nes from " No, I sup­po­se not. "
We had be­en dri­ving for abo­ut half an ho­ur when the car­ri­age stop­ped with a jerk. The dri­ver got down and sur­ve­yed it. I pe­ered thro­ugh the glass but co­uld not see very much. The­re wo­uld be a half mo­on la­ter but it had not yet put in an ap­pe­aran­ce, and it was not dark eno­ugh to see the stars.
The dri­ver ca­me ro­und to the win­dow lo­oking dis­ma­yed.
"We're stuck in a rut," he sa­id.
"I don't li­ke the lo­ok of the whe­el."
"Where are we?"
"Oh. I know the pla­ce well. We're abo­ut fi­ve mi­les from the cha­te­au."
"Five mi­les. That's not so very far."
"There's a bit of fo­rest over the­re ... hun­ting pla­ce. The­re's a lod­ge too. You'll be com­for­tab­le eno­ugh. I rec­kon you co­uld wa­it the­re whi­le I get the whe­elw­right."
"We are ne­ar a vil­la­ge then?"
"Not far. I know this pla­ce li­ke the back of my hand. Not­hing to fret abo­ut."
I tho­ught: Anot­her mis­hap! And in anot­her car­ri­age! It se­ems that car­ri­ages and I do not get along very well to­get­her.
"If you wo­uld li­ke to get out, Ma­de­mo­isel­le, I'll ta­ke you in­to the lod­ge. Then I can get a mes­sa­ge down to the cast­le. I rec­kon the best thing is for them to send up anot­her car­ri­age. Yes, that wo­uld be best. Shall I gi­ve you a hand, Ma­de­mo­isel­le?"
He hel­ped me down. I to­ok the mi­ni­atu­re with me. I had no in­ten­ti­on of lo­sing sight of that. We wal­ked ac­ross the ro­ad and I co­uld see the fo­rest he had men­ti­oned; and yes, the­re was a ho­use among the tre­es. I saw a light in one of the win­dows.
The dri­ver knoc­ked on the do­or, which was ope­ned im­me­di­ately by a plump wo­man hol­ding a cand­le.
"Mon Di­e­uf she cri­ed.
"Is it you then, Jac­qu­es Pe­tit?"
"Yes, Mart­he, it's only old Jac­qu­es. I've got the yo­ung lady ar­tist he­re. The­re's be­en a mis­hap with the car­ri­age. I don't trust that whe­el and don't fancy go­ing on with it. I tho­ught at first of get­ting the whe­elw­right but per­haps I'd bet­ter le­ave it till mor­ning. If you lo­ok af­ter the yo­ung lady, I'll ta­ke one of the hor­ses and get down to the cha­te­au. Then they can send for her."
"Well, bring the lady in. Don't le­ave her out the­re. What will she be thin­king of us."
She was a cosy-lo­oking wo­man, lar­ge-hip­ped and lar­ge- bus­ted, dres­sed in black with pi­eces of jet shi­ning on her bo­di­ce. Her gre­ying ha­ir was drawn off her fa­ce and en­ded in a si­ze­ab­le knot at the na­pe ot­her neck.
"Come along in," she cri­ed.
"My go­od­ness, you wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught Jac­qu­es Pe­tit wo­uld ha­ve lo­oked to his whe­els be­fo­re he set out. It's not the first ti­me that sort of thing has hap­pe­ned, I can tell you.
Are you cold? "
"No, not at all thank you."
"I ke­ep a bit of a fi­re in the eve­nings. It's cosy."
There was a pot on the fi­re and so­met­hing sa­vo­ury sim­me­ring in it.
"You'd bet­ter ma­ke yo­ur­self cosy. It'll ta­ke him the bet­ter part of an ho­ur to get the­re. Then he's got to see abo­ut a car­ri­age."
"It was for­tu­na­te that it hap­pe­ned he­re," I sa­id.
"It was in­de­ed. I was just abo­ut to ha­ve a bi­te to eat. Will you jo­in me? I'm Mart­he Bo­uret. We've kept this lod­ge for ye­ars. It's not used much now, but they used to do a bit of hun­ting in the old days. I re­mem­ber the old Ba­ron when he ca­me he­re. But now ... well, it's very ne­ar the cast­le and they wo­uldn't want to stay the night he­re, be­ing only fi­ve mi­les or so away. The Ba­ron used it when he was a boy, tho­ugh. He li­ked to do that. Used to ha­ve his yo­ung fri­ends he­re. I re­mem­ber them days. Not much to of­fer you, I'm af­ra­id. Just the pot aufeu." She nod­ded to­wards the pot on the fi­re.
"Not as if I had be­en ex­pec­ting vi­si­tors ... but the­re's so­me bre­ad and so­me go­od che­ese and a drop of wi­ne. It's cast­le wi­ne and I can re­com­mend that."
"Thank you," I sa­id.
"You're very kind."
"Well, by the lo­ok of it it will be so­me ti­me be­fo­re you get anyt­hing to eat at the cast­le. I'll just set a cloth on the tab­le."
"Do you li­ve he­re all by yo­ur­self?"
"Just now I'm he­re by myself. It's my job to ke­ep the pla­ce in or­der.
This is my lit­tle cot­ta­ge part. It jo­ins on the lod­ge re­al­ly. I ha­ve girls in to help me. We ma­na­ge. "
"I see."
"Is that the pic­tu­re?"
"Yes."
"Shall I put it out of harm's way. I he­ard the Ba­ron is very eager to see it."
"Yes. That is why I ha­ve bro­ught it myself. I am an­xi­o­us to know what he thinks of it."
"I'll put it he­re on this tab­le. Wo­uldn't do to get the stew on it, wo­uld it? Then you'd ha­ve to do yo­ur work all over aga­in."
"It's well wrap­ped up," I told her.
"Shall I ta­ke yo­ur clo­ak or do you want to ke­ep it on?"
"Thanks. I'll ta­ke it off. It's very warm in he­re."
She to­ok my clo­ak and hung it in a cup­bo­ard. Then she ope­ned a dra­wer and to­ok out a whi­te cloth, which she put on the tab­le. I was rat­her hungry and the stew smelt ap­pe­ti­zing. She to­ok pla­tes to the fi­re and lad­led it out.
There was a small cup­bo­ard in one cor­ner of the ro­om. It was abo­ut wa­ist high and had a flat top which co­uld be used as a shelf. She to­ok out a bot­tle of wi­ne and po­ured out a glass for me which she bro­ught to the tab­le.
"You'll find it go­od. It was a go­od ye­ar. We had plenty of sun. A vin­ta­ge ye­ar. You'll enj­oy it."
She lo­oked at the bot­tle.
"Oh, I've gi­ven you the last. Ne­ver mind.
There's anot­her in the cup­bo­ard. She ope­ned anot­her bot­tle, po­ured out a glass for her­self and re­tur­ned to the tab­le.
She lif­ted hers to me.
"The very best of go­od for­tu­ne, Ma­de­mo­isel­le. I ho­pe yo­ur stay at the cha­te­au will be a happy one."
"Thank you," I rep­li­ed, 'and the best of go­od for­tu­ne to you. "
"My," she sa­id, "I fe­el ho­no­ured, I do, ha­ving a fa­mo­us ar­tist sit­ting at my tab­le."
"I can't tell you how gra­te­ful I am to you. I sho­uld ha­ve ha­ted to sit in the car­ri­age wa­iting for so­me­one to co­me and res­cue me."
"Good for­tu­ne for us both," she sa­id. She til­ted her glass and drank de­eply. I did the sa­me.
"Let me fill yo­ur glass."
"Thank you," I sa­id.
She to­ok it to the cup­bo­ard and re­fil­led it.
"Your/w( aufeu is de­li­ci­o­us," I told her.
"It's a fa­mily sec­ret."
"I wasn't go­ing to ask you to di­vul­ge it."
"You spe­ak go­od French Ma­de­mo­isel­le. That's a mercy or this wo­uld be a bit of a dumb show."
I la­ug­hed. I was be­gin­ning to fe­el a lit­tle sle­epy. It was the warmth of the fi­re . the fo­od . the wi­ne, I sup­po­sed. My eye­lids se­emed as tho­ugh they wo­uld press down. It was get­ting har­der to stay awa­ke.
"Feeling a bit drowsy are you?" I he­ard her vo­ice, which se­emed to co­me from so­me dis­tan­ce. I saw her fa­ce ne­ar my own. She was pe­ering at me, smi­ling.
"It's the wi­ne," she was sa­ying.
"Makes you sle­epy. I rec­kon you was ti­red af­ter that jo­ur­ney. Ne­ver mind ... a lit­tle nap ne­ver har­med any­body."
It was un­na­tu­ral. I had not be­en ti­red when I ar­ri­ved and it was not very la­te. I felt I was be­ing rat­her im­po­li­te af­ter she had ta­ken such pa­ins to en­ter­ta­in me.
Something was hap­pe­ning. The­re we­re vo­ices . I strug­gled with the over­po­we­ring drow­si­ness. So­mew­he­re at the back of my mind I tho­ught:
It's Jac­qu­es, back with the car­ri­age. He hasn't be­en long . or am I dre­aming?
Sleeping . sle­eping . the ro­om was fa­ding away. So­me­one was clo­se, lo­oking at me. So­me­one had ta­ken my hands. I felt myself lif­ted up.
Then I was comp­le­tely lost in dark­ness.
I awo­ke sud­denly. I did not know whe­re I was. I was in a stran­ge ro­om.
I was lying. na­ked . on a bed and my ha­ir was lo­ose.
I tri­ed to lift myself, but my he­ad was swim­ming and I felt dizzy. I was dre­aming and this was so­me sort of night­ma­re. Whe­re was I? I co­uld not re­mem­ber what co­uld ha­ve bro­ught me he­re.
I tri­ed aga­in. So­met­hing stir­red be­si­de me . so­me­one.
I ga­ve a lit­tle scre­am. My eyes had grown ac­cus­to­med now to the dark­ness. I saw a win­dow with bars ac­ross and my eyes co­uld ma­ke out the out­li­ne of pi­eces of fur­ni­tu­re.
I fo­ught off the diz­zi­ness and sat up.
Immediately hands we­re pul­ling me down, strong hands. A vo­ice sa­id:
"Kate, my be­a­uti­ful Ka­te ..." It was a vo­ice I knew. A vo­ice I had of­ten tho­ught of. It con­vin­ced me that I was in so­me sort of night­ma­re.
I ca­ught my bre­ath and as I did so he pul­led me down; he for­ced him­self down on me. I cri­ed out in dis­be­li­eving hor­ror. This co­uld not be hap­pe­ning to me. It was in­de­ed a night­ma­re. I must wa­ke up qu­ickly.
But I did not wa­ke up. I he­ard his tri­ump­hant la­ugh, and it was in truth the Ba­ron who was mi­su­sing me . and so­met­hing told me that he had al­ways in­ten­ded to do this and that at the back of my mind I had known it. fe­ared it . dre­aded it . and the sha­me of it half wan­ted it. I tri­ed to sho­ut out, but his mo­uth was over mi­ne pres­sing down on me. I was awa­re of the strength of him and was po­wer­less. I tri­ed to strug­gle but my limbs we­re le­aden. The­re was not­hing I co­uld do to re­sist him.
It was a shat­te­ring ex­pe­ri­en­ce. I felt as tho­ugh I we­re flo­ating abo­ve the Earth in­to a world which was qu­ite unk­nown to me. Stran­ge, hit­her­to und­re­amed of sen­sa­ti­ons to­ok pos­ses­si­on of me. I was not re­sis­ting any mo­re. I felt myself to be part of him . and I was figh­ting aga­inst a sen­se of ex­hi­la­ra­ti­on which thre­ate­ned to overw­helm me.
It was over al­most as so­on as it had be­gun. He drew away from me, but his lips we­re still on my fa­ce and he was kis­sing me al­most ten­derly.
"Dear Ka­te," he mur­mu­red.
I was strug­gling back to re­ality. I put out my hands and felt his body. I was trying to col­lect my tho­ughts as they elu­ded me. The he­avy drow­si­ness was still with me and I felt a gre­at ur­ge to clo­se my eyes and lie the­re trying to re­cap­tu­re that stran­ge sen­sa­ti­on which I had just ex­pe­ri­en­ced.
His arms we­re abo­ut me. They felt li­ke iron bands. I he­ard his vo­ice whis­pe­ring words which se­emed stran­ge co­ming from him.
"Kate ... swe­et Ka­te ... Oh Ka­te, how happy you ha­ve ma­de me."
I he­ard myself say: "This is a night­ma­re."
"It's a he­avenly dre­am," he cor­rec­ted me.
"Dreams ... dre­ams ..."
"Kate." His mo­uth was clo­se to my ear. He nib­bled it gently.
"Don't try to think now. You can't. You're still in a sta­te of blis­sful ple­asu­re. Don't try to wa­ke yo­ur­self out of it ... yet."
Now was the ti­me for me to wa­ke up, to find myself in bed at the cast­le, per­haps, sin­ce that had be­en whe­re I was re­mem­be­ring I had be­en go­ing. No do­ubt I had ar­ri­ved la­te and so ti­red that I had slept he­avily . and be­ing in the cast­le had had this stran­ge dre­am.
But the bars at the win­dows . They sug­ges­ted a pri­son. A pri­son!
I felt cons­ci­o­us­ness co­ming back. This was not a dre­am. I was still he­re. I was lying in a bed with the Ba­ron . and we we­re . lo­vers.
Lovers! What a tra­vesty of the word!
I tri­ed to sit up, but he held me down. I co­uld not but be awa­re of how strong he was and how puny I was in com­pa­ri­son.
"This can't be true," I sa­id.
His vo­ice was low and tri­ump­hant.
"But it is. Too la­te for reg­rets now, Ka­te. It has hap­pe­ned. You and I... as I knew as so­on as I set eyes on you it must be ... and it was go­ing to be."
I con­ti­nu­ed to strug­gle.
"Be still, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"You're be­wil­de­red. You are just re­ali­zing what has hap­pe­ned. Last night you be­ca­me my be­lo­ved mist­ress."
"This is... mad­ness."
"The ef­fect of the wi­ne is still with you. It will last so­me ti­me yet.
It had to be, Ka­te. It was the only way. Now if I had ap­pe­ared sud­denly and sa­id "I want you, Ka­te. My de­si­re for you is so overw­hel­ming that it must be sa­tis­fi­ed" what wo­uld you ha­ve sa­id?
You wo­uld ha­ve la­ug­hed me to scorn even tho­ugh so­mew­he­re at the back of yo­ur mind was the tho­ught: How I sho­uld li­ke to gi­ve myself up to the ple­asu­re he can pro­vi­de. He is the only one. I want to be ta­ken by him as his an­ces­tors to­ok wo­men when they ra­ided the co­ast. "
My mind was cle­aring with every pas­sing mo­ment. I mur­mu­red: "I was with that wo­man ..."
"My go­od ser­vant."
"The car­ri­age had bro­ken down ..."
"It was all ar­ran­ged, dar­ling. I'm sorry it had to be li­ke that. If you had co­me wil­lingly ... but you ne­ver wo­uld. Yo­ur stern upb­rin­ging wo­uld ha­ve sup­pres­sed yo­ur na­tu­ral ins­tincts and you wo­uld ha­ve con­vin­ced yo­ur­self that they did not exist."
"I can't ..."
"Don't try. Lie still. Oh Ka­te, it was won­der­ful. You are mag­ni­fi­cent.
You're a wo­man as well as an ar­tist. I ad­mi­re you so much, Ka­te. "
Through my be­fug­ged sen­sa­ti­ons ca­me the ap­pal­ling re­ali­za­ti­on of what had hap­pe­ned. He had plan­ned it and I had be­en the vic­tim of. ra­pe.
I, Ka­te Col­li­son, had be­en ra­ped by the man I most de­tes­ted . this ar­ro­gant Ba­ron who tho­ught he had only to bec­kon to a wo­man to ma­ke her co­me run­ning. He fol­lo­wed the cus­toms of his ma­ra­uding an­ces­tors who had li­ved by ra­pe and pil­la­ge. And I. had be­en his vic­tim. I co­uld not be­li­eve it. even now. "
I sa­id: "Let me get out of he­re."
"My de­arest Ka­te, you will go at my ple­asu­re."
"At yo­ur ple­asu­re! You are a mons­ter."
"I know," he ag­re­ed.
"But in yo­ur he­art you rat­her li­ke this mons­ter, Ka­te. I will ha­ve you re­cog­ni­zed as a gre­at ar­tist. Just think what I ha­ve do­ne for you al­re­ady."
"I can think of not­hing but what you ha­ve just do­ne to me."
"Proud Ka­te, ta­ken in a drun­ken stu­por."
"That wi­ne was drug­ged. That wo­man ..."
"Don't bla­me her. She was obe­ying or­ders."
"A sort of pan­der..."
"Hardly an apt desc­rip­ti­on. What is do­ne is do­ne, Ka­te. You are a wo­man now. You and I ha­ve exp­lo­red the re­alms of de­light to­get­her ..
"
"Of deg­ra­da­ti­on!" I sa­id.
"You are cyni­cal. You are la­ug­hing at me.
That is what I wo­uld ex­pect of you. "
"Do you ha­te me still?"
"A tho­usand ti­mes mo­re than I ever did."
"Perhaps whi­le you are he­re I can ma­ke you chan­ge yo­ur mind."
"The mo­re ti­me I spent with you, the mo­re I sho­uld ha­te you. What do you me­an ... whi­le I am he­re?"
"You are de­ta­ined ... on my ba­ro­ni­al ple­asu­re."
"You can't me­an you wo­uld ke­ep me he­re."
He nod­ded.
"I co­uld," he sa­id.
"For what pur­po­se?"
"I tho­ught I had de­monst­ra­ted that."
"You've go­ne mad."
"Mad with de­si­re for you."
I tri­ed to ri­se but he was still hol­ding me down, and when I lif­ted my he­ad I felt dizzy.
"What is yo­ur pur­po­se?" I de­man­ded.
"First to turn a rat­her ha­ughty self-pos­ses­sed yo­ung lady in­to a warm and pas­si­ona­te wo­man."
"I will ne­ver fe­el anyt­hing but hat­red and con­tempt for you. And you say ... first..."
"There is so­met­hing el­se."
"Well?"
"I think we will dis­cuss it la­ter when you are fe­eling a lit­tle ref­res­hed."
"I want to know now."
"My de­ar Ka­te, it is I who ma­ke the ru­les he­re. Ha­ven't you le­ar­ned that yet?"
"What am I sup­po­sed to be ... a sort of sla­ve?"
"A very fa­vo­ured sla­ve."
I was si­lent, still trying to con­vin­ce myself that I was not dre­aming.
His vo­ice was gent­le in my ear.
"Try to be calm, Ka­te. Ac­cept this.
You and I ha­ve be­en lo­vers all thro­ugh this night. "
"Lovers! You are not a lo­ver of mi­ne and ne­ver will be."
"Well, just say that last night you be­ca­me my mist­ress. That's rat­her im­por­tant."
I felt we­ak sud­denly and very frigh­te­ned. It se­emed that my li­fe had ta­ken an ab­rupt turn in­to an en­ti­rely dif­fe­rent world.
THE DE­MON ai "Sle­ep, de­ar Ka­te," he sa­id so­ot­hingly and he gat­he­red me up in his arms as tho­ugh I we­re a baby.
I must ha­ve slept, for when I awo­ke it was mor­ning. My he­ad had cle­ared and I sat up in bed and lo­oked abo­ut me. I was alo­ne. I re­ali­zed that I was na­ked and when I saw the bars ac­ross the win­dows, the monst­ro­us hap­pe­nings of the pre­vi­o­us night ca­me flo­oding back to me.
I lo­oked abo­ut the ro­om. It was li­ke a part of the cast­le- lar­ge, with a high va­ul­ted ro­of sup­por­ted by strong sto­ne pil­lars. The­re was a gre­at fi­rep­la­ce and the em­bers the­re sho­wed that the­re had be­en a fi­re last night. The bed was lar­ge and had vel­vet cur­ta­ins abo­ut it and the­re we­re car­pets on the flo­or. In spi­te of this it was li­ke a me­di­eval strong­hold.
I had un­der­go­ne a chan­ge. I felt bru­ised and unc­le­an. I had to fa­ce the truth. He had bro­ught me up he­re; he had ta­ken off my clot­hes, put me in­to this bed and com­mit­ted ra­pe.
I put my hands over my fa­ce as the hot flush spre­ad the­re. Not­hing wo­uld ever be the sa­me aga­in. Sin­ce I had co­me to Fran­ce everyt­hing had chan­ged. The cosy world of­Far­ring- don was slip­ping away from me and I had be­en plun­ged in­to int­ri­gue . and ra­pe . the sort of thing that had hap­pe­ned cen­tu­ri­es ago.
And the­re was one man who was res­pon­sib­le for this. I co­uld not get his fa­ce out of my mind. I re­ali­zed I had be­en se­e­ing it ever sin­ce I had left the cast­le. I had se­en it in the gar­goy­les of Not­re Da­me. I had se­en it in my dre­ams. I won­de­red bri­efly if he had so­me su­per­na­tu­ral po­wer- a gift pas­sed on from tho­se pi­ra­te fo­re­be­ars.
I had to be calm. I had to con­si­der the po­si­ti­on in which I fo­und myself. I think I had al­ways known that he had de­si­red me. The­re was so­met­hing in the way he had lo­oked at me right from the be­gin­ning. I sho­uld ha­ve be­en war­ned, for when he de­si­red a wo­man he tho­ught he had the right to ta­ke her, whet­her she was wil­ling or not. That was what the ma­ra­uding Nor­mans had do­ne, and he li­ved up to the old tra­di­ti­ons.
I sho­uld ne­ver fe­el the sa­me aga­in. I sho­uld ne­ver fe­el cle­an. He had de­fi­led me and glo­ri­ed in it. He tho­ught that be­ca­use he had hu­mi­li­ated me, he had ma­de me his sla­ve.
I had to get out of he­re qu­ickly. Then I wo­uld think abo­ut re­ven­ge.
Nowadays no man sho­uld be al­lo­wed to act as he had do­ne. It was all very well to ma­ke lo­ve to a wo­man if she con­sen­ted. But to sna­re a vir­tu­o­us wo­man and drug her and then ta­ke ad­van­ta­ge of the si­tu­ati­on, that was the way co­wards and de­mons wor­ked.
My hat­red was so in­ten­se that I was sha­king. I must get out of he­re.
That was the first thing. I wo­uld go down to the wo­man who had gi­ven me the wi­ne. I wo­uld tell her that I was go­ing to the po­li­ce.
Could I? How? I ima­gi­ned he cont­rol­led most things ro­und he­re. He wo­uld say: "She spent the night with me wil­lingly ..." For he was ca­pab­le of anyt­hing. Li­es wo­uld be se­cond na­tu­re to him.
I wo­uld dress im­me­di­ately.
I step­ped out of bed. I lo­oked at the pil­low still in­den­ted whe­re his he­ad had be­en. I punc­hed it in sud­den fury and was then as­ha­med of my chil­dish ges­tu­re. It was an act of pe­tu­lant folly and in spi­te of what hap­pe­ned I pri­ded myself on be­ing a sen­sib­le wo­man.
I had be­en bet­ra­yed. I had be­en ra­ped. My at­tac­ker had be­en the one man in the world whom I ha­ted most. But it was do­ne. I had be­en vi­ola­ted. My body . my mind . my fre­edom to act had be­en ta­ken in­to his cont­rol. I had be­en for­ced.
But now . the first thing was to get out of this pla­ce.
I lo­oked for my clot­hes. I co­uld not find them. They we­re all go­ne . my sho­es . everyt­hing.
There was a co­un­ter­pa­ne on the bed and I wrap­ped this ro­und me. Then I set out to exp­lo­re. To my mo­men­tary de­light the do­or was not loc­ked.
I was on a kind of lan­ding and be­fo­re me was a small flight of sto­ne sta­irs the usu­al spi­ral kind cut out of the wall, wi­de at one end and nar­ro­wing by the post. I saw that the­re was one ro­om in which the­re we­re to­ilet fa­ci­li­ti­es. I ca­ught sight of a mir­ror on a tab­le and a wash ba­sin and ewer. The­re we­re cup­bo­ards. I tho­ught my clot­hes might be in one of them, so I ope­ned them all. The­re we­re to­wels and such things, but no clot­hes.
I saw that the­re was anot­her ro­om. In this we­re a tab­le and cha­irs.
It might ha­ve be­en a di­ning-ro­om. But the­re we­re no clot­hes.
Cautiously I des­cen­ded the sta­irs. A big do­or was fa­cing me. It had iron studs in it and lo­oked very strong. I tri­ed to open it. It was loc­ked.
I lo­oked abo­ut me. Bar­red win­dows everyw­he­re, a he­avy loc­ked do­or, and no clot­hes. I was in­de­ed the pri­so­ner of the Ba­ron's ple­asu­re.
I was sud­denly fran­tic. My re­so­lu­ti­ons to be calm slip­ped away from me.
How long wo­uld he ke­ep me he­re? Wo­uld he co­me aga­in? I wo­uld re­fu­se to drink mo­re wi­ne. Per­haps he wo­uld not ca­re. He co­uld easily over­po­wer me. I had be­en awa­re of his im­men­se strength last night.
Locked up he­re . wit­hin the­se sto­ne walls with bar­red win­dows I sho­uld not ha­ve a chan­ce.
I star­ted to ham­mer on the do­or. Then I sat down on the sto­ne step and ga­ve way to my des­pa­ir.
I he­ard a vo­ice.
"All right. All right. I'm co­ming!"
I was alert and kept my eyes on the do­or. If it was the wo­man I had se­en last night, I might be ab­le to get past her. I might find my clot­hes. My bag­ga­ge might be so­mew­he­re he­re. The man-Jac­qu­es Pe­tit -he had bro­ught it in from the car­ri­age last night If I co­uld get dres­sed I co­uld es­ca­pe. This pla­ce was on the ro­ad- fi­ve mi­les or so from Cen­te
R
ville. I had an idea of the di­rec­ti­on. I co­uld only think of es­ca­pe.
I he­ard a key tur­ning in the lock. The do­or cre­aked open. I was wa­iting, ten­se.
The wo­man was car­rying a cop­per jug of hot wa­ter. She ca­me in and set it down. It was my chan­ce and I to­ok it. I das­hed to the do­or. A man was stan­ding the­re. He was tall and his arms we­re fol­ded ac­ross his chest. He sho­ok his he­ad at me. I tri­ed to elu­de him, but he ca­ught me and lif­ting me up as tho­ugh I we­re a child, he put me back be­hind the do­or.
Then he shut it.
"No use," sa­id the wo­man, lo­oking as cosy as she had on the pre­vi­o­us night.
"There are gu­ards."
I cri­ed out: "What is this? So­me me­di­eval ga­me?"
"Baron's or­ders," she ans­we­red.
She lif­ted the jug and went up the sta­irs to the ro­om whe­re I had se­en the ba­sin and ewer.
"Now," she sa­id briskly," I bro­ught the wa­ter first be­ca­use I tho­ught you'd be one of them la­di­es as li­ke to wash first. Now I'll bring yo­ur pe­tit de­j­e­uner. You'll find everyt­hing you want. I'll bring you so­met­hing to put on. That bed co­ver­let is not ide­al, is it? And yo­ur po­or fe­et? The­se sto­ne flo­ors can be that cold don't I know it."
I fol­lo­wed her up and when she had put down the jug I ca­ught her arm.
"You ga­ve me drug­ged wi­ne last night," I sa­id.
She lif­ted her sho­ul­ders.
"You de­ce­ived me ... wic­kedly."
"It was or­ders," she sa­id.
"Baron's or­ders," I re­pe­ated.
She was si­lent.
I went on: "Do­es he ma­ke a ha­bit of this sort of thing?"
"You ne­ver know what he's go­ing to do. He's had la­di­es he­re be­fo­re .
Most of them ha­ve co­me wil­lingly, if you know what I me­an." '51 "And the un­wil­ling ones ha­ve to be drug­ged?"
"Well, we've not had any of tho­se be­fo­re... only them that had to be per­su­aded, li­ke."
"It's li­ke fin­ding one­self back fi­ve hund­red ye­ars. Bring my clot­hes . my own clot­hes."
She shrug­ged her sho­ul­ders aga­in.
I let her go and went in­to the to­ilet ro­om. At le­ast I sho­uld fe­el a lit­tle bet­ter if I was­hed. I felt emo­ti­onal as I saw myself in the mir­ror. The­re we­re bru­ises on my body and I was glad of my long ha­ir which co­ve­red me li­ke a clo­ak. I felt bet­ter when I had tho­ro­ughly was­hed and by that ti­me the wo­man ca­me back with hot cof­fee and rolls with but­ter and pre­ser­ves.
I re­sis­ted the im­pul­se to run to the sta­irs be­ca­use I knew that was fu­ti­le.
She to­ok the tray in­to the ro­om which I had tho­ught was a di­ning-ro­om and set it on the tab­le. Then she was go­ne but in a few mo­ments she was back car­rying a long fur-trim­med ro­be. It was gre­enish with a thre­ad of gold in it and the fur ed­ged the hem as well as the long wi­de sle­eves. She car­ri­ed three pa­irs of sa­tin san­dals.
"I wasn't su­re of the si­ze," she sa­id com­for­tably.
"Oh my God, do­es he ha­ve vic­tims of va­ri­o­us si­zes?"
"It's for you to cho­ose, Ma­de­mo­isel­le."
Clothes we­re ne­ces­sary for me if I was to plan so­me ac­ti­on so I se­lec­ted a pa­ir of the san­dals and to­ok the ro­be from her.
When she had go­ne I put it on. It was soft and sil­ken and very com­for­tab­le. It was ama­zing what a dif­fe­ren­ce was­hing and put­ting on clot­hes ma­de to me.
I was surp­ri­sed that I co­uld eat anyt­hing, but I did and the cof­fee was go­od. As So­on as I had drunk it I tho­ught I had be­en a fo­ol to to­uch it. How co­uld I know whet­her anyt­hing was drug­ged or not.
But why sho­uld he want to drug me now; he had do­ne his evil work.
That re­min­ded me af­resh and I felt the bit­ter hu­mi­li­ati­on cre­eping over me. I wis­hed that I co­uld ha­ve re­mem­be­red, and then I was glad that I had not. The­re had be­en mo­ments of cons­ci­o­us­ness and la­ter when I had be­en co­ming out of my drow­si­ness he had ta­ken me . al­most ca­su­al­ly.
I ha­ted him. How I ha­ted him! My fat­her used to say, "Envy is a ne­ga­ti­ve emo­ti­on. It hurts the one who fe­els it mo­re than the one aga­inst whom it is di­rec­ted." So with hat­red.
Think const­ruc­ti­vely, I told myself. How am I go­ing to get out of this pla­ce? I must ma­ke a plan.
I went in­to the to­ilet ro­om to lo­ok at myself in my ro­be and san­dals.
I had be­en trans­for­med. I had ne­ver worn anyt­hing li­ke this be­fo­re. I lo­oked al­most be­a­uti­ful with my ha­ir han­ging lo­ose and the gre­en and gold of the fur­red ro­be did so­met­hing to my eyes. They lo­oked big­ger and brigh­ter. I am dif­fe­rent, I tho­ught. He has ma­de me dif­fe­rent.
There was a lit­tle tab­le in the ro­om I cal­led the di­ning ro­om. It was by the win­dow and on it we­re se­ve­ral pen­cils with a sketc­hing-pad.
He had put that the­re for me, I tho­ught.
I went to it and sa­va­gely drew his fa­ce. I sketc­hed in that part of Not­re Da­me whe­re I had se­en the most gro­tes­que of all the gar­goy­les -the one which le­ans on the pa­ra­pet by the do­or at the top of the steps and se­ems to be ga­zing ma­le­vo­lently to­wards the In­va­li­des.
I went on sketc­hing. It was won­der­ful how it so­ot­hed me.
The wo­man ca­me back and cle­aned the pla­ce; she ma­de the bed and re­mo­ved the as­hes from the fi­rep­la­ce, la­ying anot­her.
I wan­ted to scre­am out be­ca­use it all se­emed so nor­mal. It vas as tho­ugh I we­re a vi­si­tor in so­me fri­end's ho­use.
She sa­id: "I'll bring up yo­ur de­j­e­uner at half past twel­ve if that su­its."
I sa­id: "How am I to know it has not be­en tre­ated with so­met­hing which wo­uld not be go­od for me?"
"I've had no or­ders," she sa­id se­ri­o­usly.
I wan­ted to la­ugh in a rat­her hyste­ri­cal way, I knew, so I sup­pres­sed it.
She bro­ught in the fo­od. It was a de­li­ci­o­us so­up with me­at and sa­lad and fru­it.
Oddly eno­ugh, I co­uld eat it, and in due co­ur­se she ca­me to col­lect the tray.
"I sho­uld ha­ve a lit­tle rest," she sa­id.
"You ne­ed it ... to sle­ep off what we had to gi­ve you. You'll be ti­red still."
It's mad, I tho­ught. Am I re­al­ly in this in­cong­ru­o­us po­si­ti­on? "
I obe­yed her tho­ugh and lay on the bed. I did sle­ep long and de­ep; and when I awo­ke my first tho­ught was: He will co­me aga­in. Of co­ur­se he will co­me aga­in. Ot­her­wi­se, why sho­uld they hold me he­re.
At dusk it was the wo­man who ca­me. She bro­ught mo­re wa­ter for me to wash. I did so. I he­ard her in the di­ning-ro­om and when I went to see what she was do­ing for she se­emed a long ti­me- I fo­und her set­ting the tab­le for two. The­re was a sil­ver can­de­lab­rum in the cent­re.
I tho­ught: Then I am ex­pec­ted to sup with him as tho­ugh all was well bet­we­en us.
I wo­uld ne­ver do that. I wo­uld re­fu­se to sit down with him.
I went back to the bed­ro­om and sto­od by the bar­red win­dow. I tri­ed to sha­ke the bars, but they we­re firmly em­bed­ded in the sto­ne. I won­de­red then how many had sto­od at that win­dow in des­pe­ra­ti­on. I won­de­red what tor­tu­res had be­en inf­lic­ted on them in this pla­ce.
Who wo­uld ha­ve be­li­eved this co­uld hap­pen in the­se days? How easily pe­op­le slip­ped back in­to sa­va­gery. That man did not ha­ve to slip back.
He had ne­ver be­en anyt­hing el­se but a sa­va­ge.
There was a mo­ve­ment be­hind me and he was the­re, smi­ling at me.
That re­min­ded me af­resh and I felt the bit­ter hu­mi­li­ati­on cre­eping over me. I wis­hed that I co­uld ha­ve re­mem­be­red, and then I was glad that I had not. The­re had be­en mo­ments of cons­ci­o­us­ness and la­ter when I had be­en co­ming out of my drow­si­ness he had ta­ken me . al­most ca­su­al­ly. , I ha­ted him. How I ha­ted him! My fat­her used to say, "Envy is a ne­ga­ti­ve emo­ti­on. It hurts the one who fe­els it mo­re than the one aga­inst whom it is di­rec­ted." So with hat­red.
Think const­ruc­ti­vely, I told myself. How am I go­ing to get out of this pla­ce? I must ma­ke a plan.
I went in­to the to­ilet ro­om to lo­ok at myself in my ro­be and san­dals.
I had be­en trans­for­med. I had ne­ver worn anyt­hing li­ke this be­fo­re. I lo­oked al­most be­a­uti­ful with my ha­ir han­ging lo­ose and the gre­en and gold of the fur­red ro­be did so­met­hing to my eyes. They lo­oked big­ger and brigh­ter. I am dif­fe­rent, I tho­ught. He has ma­de me dif­fe­rent.
There was a lit­tle tab­le in the ro­om I cal­led the di­ning ro­om. It was by the win­dow and on it we­re se­ve­ral pen­cils with a sketc­hing-pad.
He had put that the­re for me, I tho­ught.
I went to it and sa­va­gely drew his fa­ce. I sketc­hed in that part of Not­re Da­me whe­re I had se­en the most gro­tes­que of all the gar­goy­les -the one which le­ans on the pa­ra­pet by the do­or at the top of the steps and se­ems to be ga­zing ma­le­vo­lently to­wards the In­va­li­des.
I went on sketc­hing. It was won­der­ful how it so­ot­hed me.
The wo­man ca­me back and cle­aned the pla­ce; she ma­de the bed and re­mo­ved the as­hes from the fi­rep­la­ce, la­ying anot­her.
I wan­ted to scre­am out be­ca­use it all se­emed so nor­mal. It was as tho­ugh I we­re a vi­si­tor in so­me fri­end's ho­use.
She sa­id: "I'll bring up yo­ur de­j­e­uner at half past twel­ve if that su­its."
I sa­id: "How am I to know it has not be­en tre­ated with so­met­hing which wo­uld not be go­od for me?"
"I've had no or­ders," she sa­id se­ri­o­usly.
I wan­ted to la­ugh- in a rat­her hyste­ri­cal way, I knew, so I sup­pres­sed it.
She bro­ught in the fo­od. It was a de­li­ci­o­us so­up with me­at and sa­lad and fru­it.
Oddly eno­ugh, I co­uld eat it, and in due co­ur­se she ca­me to col­lect the tray.
"I sho­uld ha­ve a lit­tle rest," she sa­id.
"You ne­ed it ... to sle­ep off what we had to gi­ve you. You'll be ti­red still."
It's mad, I tho­ught. Am I re­al­ly in this in­cong­ru­o­us po­si­ti­on? "
I obe­yed her tho­ugh and lay on the bed. I did sle­ep long and de­ep; and when I awo­ke my first tho­ught was: He will co­me aga­in. Of co­ur­se he will co­me aga­in. Ot­her­wi­se, why sho­uld they hold me he­re.
At dusk it was the wo­man who ca­me. She bro­ught mo­re wa­ter for me to wash. I did so. I he­ard her in the di­ning-ro­om and when I went to see what she was do­ing- for she se­emed a long ti­me1 fo­und her set­ting the tab­le for two. The­re was a sil­ver can­de­lab­rum in the cent­re.
I tho­ught: Then I am ex­pec­ted to sup with him as tho­ugh all was well bet­we­en us.
I wo­uld ne­ver do that. I wo­uld re­fu­se to sit down with him.
I went back to the bed­ro­om and sto­od by the bar­red win­dow. I tri­ed to sha­ke the bars, but they we­re firmly em­bed­ded in the sto­ne. I won­de­red then how many had sto­od at that win­dow in des­pe­ra­ti­on. I won­de­red what tor­tu­res had be­en inf­lic­ted on them in this pla­ce.
Who wo­uld ha­ve be­li­eved this co­uld hap­pen in the­se days? How easily pe­op­le slip­ped back in­to sa­va­gery. That man did not ha­ve to slip back.
He had ne­ver be­en anyt­hing el­se but a sa­va­ge.
There was a mo­ve­ment be­hind me and he was the­re, smi­ling at me.
That re­min­ded me af­resh and I felt the bit­ter hu­mi­li­ati­on cre­eping over me. I wis­hed that I co­uld ha­ve re­mem­be­red, and then I was glad that I had not. The­re had be­en mo­ments of cons­ci­o­us­ness and la­ter when I had be­en co­ming out of my drow­si­ness he had ta­ken me . al­most ca­su­al­ly. ;
I ha­ted him. How I ha­ted him! My fat­her used to say, "Envy is a ne­ga­ti­ve emo­ti­on. It hurts the one who fe­els it mo­re than the one aga­inst whom it is di­rec­ted." So with hat­red.
Think const­ruc­ti­vely, I told myself. How am I go­ing to get out of this pla­ce? I must ma­ke a plan.
I went in­to the to­ilet ro­om to lo­ok at myself in my ro­be and san­dals.
I had be­en trans­for­med. I had ne­ver worn anyt­hing li­ke this be­fo­re. I lo­oked al­most be­a­uti­ful with my ha­ir han­ging lo­ose and the gre­en and gold of the fur­red ro­be did so­met­hing to my eyes. They lo­oked big­ger and brigh­ter. I am dif­fe­rent, I tho­ught. He has ma­de me dif­fe­rent.
There was a lit­tle tab­le in the ro­om I cal­led the di­ning ro­om. It was by the win­dow and on it we­re se­ve­ral pen­cils with a sketc­hing-pad.
He had put that the­re for me, I tho­ught.
I went to it and sa­va­gely drew his fa­ce. I sketc­hed in that part of Not­re Da­me whe­re I had se­en the most gro­tes­que of all the gar­goy­les the one which le­ans on the pa­ra­pet by the do­or at the top of the steps and se­ems to be ga­zing ma­le­vo­lently to­wards the In­va­li­des.
I went on sketc­hing. It was won­der­ful how it so­ot­hed me.
The wo­man ca­me back and cle­aned the pla­ce; she ma­de the bed and re­mo­ved the as­hes from the fi­rep­la­ce, la­ying anot­her.
I wan­ted to scre­am out be­ca­use it all se­emed so nor­mal. It was as tho­ugh I we­re a vi­si­tor in so­me fri­end's ho­use.
She sa­id: "I'll bring up yo­ur de­j­e­uner at half past twel­ve if that su­its."
I sa­id: "How am I to know it has not be­en tre­ated with so­met­hing which wo­uld not be go­od for me?"
"I've had no or­ders," she sa­id se­ri­o­usly.
I wan­ted to la­ugh in a rat­her hyste­ri­cal way, I knew, so I sup­pres­sed it.
She bro­ught in the fo­od. It was a de­li­ci­o­us so­up with me­at and sa­lad and fru­it.
Oddly eno­ugh, I co­uld eat it, and in due co­ur­se she ca­me to col­lect the tray.
"I sho­uld ha­ve a lit­tle rest," she sa­id.
"You ne­ed it ... to sle­ep off what we had to gi­ve you. You'll be ti­red still."
It's mad, I tho­ught. Am I re­al­ly in this in­cong­ru­o­us po­si­ti­on? "
I obe­yed her tho­ugh and lay on the bed. I did sle­ep long and de­ep; and when I awo­ke my first tho­ught was: He will co­me aga­in. Of co­ur­se he will co­me aga­in. Ot­her­wi­se, why sho­uld they hold me he­re.
At dusk it was the wo­man who ca­me. She bro­ught mo­re wa­ter for me to wash. I did so. I he­ard her in the di­ning-ro­om and when I went to see what she was do­ing- for she se­emed a long ti­me- I fo­und her set­ting the tab­le for two. The­re was a sil­ver can­de­lab­rum in the cent­re.
I tho­ught: Then I am ex­pec­ted to sup with him as tho­ugh all was well bet­we­en us.
I wo­uld ne­ver do that. I wo­uld re­fu­se to sit down with him.
I went back to the bed­ro­om and sto­od by the bar­red win­dow. I tri­ed to sha­ke the bars, but they we­re firmly em­bed­ded in the sto­ne. I won­de­red then how many had sto­od at that win­dow in des­pe­ra­ti­on. I won­de­red what tor­tu­res had be­en inf­lic­ted on them in this pla­ce.
Who wo­uld ha­ve be­li­eved this co­uld hap­pen in the­se days? How easily pe­op­le slip­ped back in­to sa­va­gery. That man did not ha­ve to slip back.
He had ne­ver be­en anyt­hing el­se but a sa­va­ge.
There was a mo­ve­ment be­hind me and he was the­re, smi­ling at me.
That re­min­ded me af­resh and I felt the bit­ter hu­mi­li­ati­on cre­eping over me. I wis­hed that I co­uld ha­ve re­mem­be­red, and then I was glad that I had not. The­re had be­en mo­ments of cons­ci­o­us­ness and la­ter when I had be­en co­ming out of my drow­si­ness he had ta­ken me . al­most ca­su­al­ly.
I ha­ted him. How I ha­ted him! My fat­her used to say, "Envy is a ne­ga­ti­ve emo­ti­on. It hurts the one who fe­els it mo­re than the one aga­inst whom it is di­rec­ted." So with hat­red.
Think const­ruc­ti­vely, I told myself. How am I go­ing to get out of this pla­ce? I must ma­ke a plan.
I went in­to the to­ilet ro­om to lo­ok at myself in my ro­be and san­dals.
I had be­en trans­for­med. I had ne­ver worn anyt­hing li­ke this be­fo­re. I lo­oked al­most be­a­uti­ful with my ha­ir han­ging lo­ose and the gre­en and gold of the fur­red ro­be did so­met­hing to my eyes. They lo­oked big­ger and brigh­ter. I am dif­fe­rent, I tho­ught. He has ma­de me dif­fe­rent.
There was a lit­tle tab­le in the ro­om I cal­led the di­ning ro­om. It was by the win­dow and on it we­re se­ve­ral pen­cils with a sketc­hing-pad.
He had put that the­re for me, I tho­ught.
I went to it and sa­va­gely drew his fa­ce. I sketc­hed in that part of Not­re Da­me whe­re I had se­en the most gro­tes­que of all the gar­goy­les -the one which le­ans on the pa­ra­pet by the do­or at the top of the steps and se­ems to be ga­zing ma­le­vo­lently to­wards the In­va­li­des.
I went on sketc­hing. It was won­der­ful how it so­ot­hed me.
The wo­man ca­me back and cle­aned the pla­ce; she ma­de the bed and re­mo­ved the as­hes from the fi­rep­la­ce, la­ying anot­her.
I wan­ted to scre­am out be­ca­use it all se­emed so nor­mal. It was as tho­ugh I we­re a vi­si­tor in so­me fri­end's ho­use.
She sa­id: "I'll bring up yo­ur de­j­e­uner at half past twel­ve if that su­its."
I sa­id: "How am I to know it has not be­en tre­ated with so­met­hing which wo­uld not be go­od for me?"
"I've had no or­ders," she sa­id se­ri­o­usly.
I wan­ted to la­ugh in a rat­her hyste­ri­cal way, I knew, so I sup­pres­sed it.
She bro­ught in the fo­od. It was a de­li­ci­o­us so­up with me­at and sa­lad and fru­it.
Oddly eno­ugh, I co­uld eat it, and in due co­ur­se she ca­me to col­lect the tray.
"I sho­uld ha­ve a lit­tle rest," she sa­id.
"You ne­ed it ... to sle­ep off what we had to gi­ve you. You'll be ti­red still."
It's mad, I tho­ught. Am I re­al­ly in this in­cong­ru­o­us po­si­ti­on? "
I obe­yed her tho­ugh and lay on the bed. I did sle­ep long and de­ep; and when I awo­ke my first tho­ught was: He will co­me aga­in. Of co­ur­se he will co­me aga­in. Ot­her­wi­se, why sho­uld they hold me he­re.
At dusk it was the wo­man who ca­me. She bro­ught mo­re wa­ter for me to wash. I did so. I he­ard her in the di­ning-ro­om and when I went to see what she was do­ing- for she se­emed a long ti­me- I fo­und her set­ting the tab­le for two. The­re was a sil­ver can­de­lab­rum in the cent­re.
I tho­ught: Then I am ex­pec­ted to sup with him as tho­ugh all was well bet­we­en us.
I wo­uld ne­ver do that. I wo­uld re­fu­se to sit down with him.
I went back to the bed­ro­om and sto­od by the bar­red win­dow. I tri­ed to sha­ke the bars, but they we­re firmly em­bed­ded in the sto­ne. I won­de­red then how many had sto­od at that win­dow in des­pe­ra­ti­on. I won­de­red what tor­tu­res had be­en inf­lic­ted on them in this pla­ce.
Who wo­uld ha­ve be­li­eved this co­uld hap­pen in the­se days? How easily pe­op­le slip­ped back in­to sa­va­gery. That man did not ha­ve to slip back.
He had ne­ver be­en anyt­hing el­se but a sa­va­ge.
There was a mo­ve­ment be­hind me and he was the­re, smi­ling at me.
He was dres­sed in a ro­be not un­li­ke my own. It was de­ep blue and, li­ke mi­ne, the sle­eves we­re ed­ged with fur, as was the hem.
"You co­uld ne­ver bre­ak tho­se," he sa­id.
"They we­re ma­de to withs­tand any ons­la­ught." He ca­me to­wards me. I tur­ned sharply away, but he ca­ught me firmly and tri­ed to kiss me. For a se­cond or so I elu­ded him, then he re­le­ased me but ca­ught me aga­in, ta­king my fa­ce in his two hands, fin­ding my mo­uth and hol­ding me in a hi­de­o­us emb­ra­ce.
Oh God, help me, I tho­ught, it's be­gin­ning aga­in.
He re­le­ased me, smi­ling.
"I trust the day has not be­en too mo­no­to­no­us wit­ho­ut me," he sa­id.
"Any day wo­uld be bet­ter for not ha­ving you in it," I re­tor­ted.
"Ungracious still! I had ho­ped that you, be­ing a re­aso­nab­le wo­man, wo­uld co­me to terms with the ines­ca­pab­le."
"If you ever think I wo­uld co­me to terms with you, you are mis­ta­ken."
"We ca­me to terms on­ce ... abo­ut the pic­tu­re, I me­an. By the way, I li­ke the one you bro­ught. A worthy Col­li­son."
I tur­ned back to the win­dow. I wan­ted to lo­ok anyw­he­re but in­to his fa­ce.
"I al­so li­ke the sketch."
"What sketch?"
"The one you did of me, of co­ur­se. It is so gra­tif­ying to know that even when I am not he­re I am in yo­ur tho­ughts. Am I re­al­ly as ter­rib­le as that? I re­cog­ni­ze the thing. I've of­ten se­en it. It's at the top of the steps, isn't it? It's re­cog­ni­zed as be­ing the most gro­tes­que and evil gar­goy­le in the who­le of Pa­ris."
"Yes, I know."
"And you ha­ve ma­de it my fa­ce. Mon Di­eu, Ka­te, you are a cle­ver ar­tist. It's un­do­ub­tedly that par­ti­cu­lar gar­goy­le and yet I'm the­re too. We are com­bi­ned."
"It rep­re­sents the for­ces of evil," I sa­id.
"I know what tho­se gar­goy­les me­an now. They we­re mo­del­led on evil men de­mons ... such as or­di­nary pe­op­le do not know exist. But they exis­ted when Not­re Da­me was bu­ilt and they exist to­day. At le­ast one of them do­es."
"True. But the­re is a lit­tle go­od in the worst of us. Did you know that?"
"I wo­uld find it hard to be­li­eve of you."
"You are ung­ra­te­ful. Who la­unc­hed you in­to the Pa­ris world of art?"
"You li­ked the pic­tu­re I had pa­in­ted and sa­id so. I don't think such an act will as­su­re you of a pla­ce in He­aven."
"I'm thin­king of this li­fe rat­her than the li­fe to co­me. I in­tend to enj­oy this one to the full."
"Which I be­li­eve you do ... at the ex­pen­se of ot­hers."
"Some ha­ve the go­od sen­se to want what I want."
"Some may ha­ve the gre­ater go­od sen­se to fight you."
"Which wo­uld be me­re folly if the odds we­re aga­inst them."
"You me­an ... as they are with me at this ti­me?"
"I fe­ar so, Ka­te. Will you be gent­le to­night? I know how you can be.
Will you for­get that you ha­ve to pre­tend you do not li­ke me? "
"It is im­pos­sib­le to for­get so­met­hing which is so bla­tantly true."
"You ha­te me as a per­son? Is that so? You des­pi­se everyt­hing I do. I ha­ve a cer­ta­in po­wer which al­lows me to get what I want now and then.
That you ha­te. I un­ders­tand it. But for­get it, Ka­te. Think of me only as yo­ur lo­ver. "
"You talk non­sen­se."
"No. I talk from a su­pe­ri­or know­led­ge of the emo­ti­ons."
"Please do not at­tempt to tell me what I fe­el."
"I ha­ve had gre­at ex­pe­ri­en­ce of wo­men."
"You spe­ak the truth the­re for on­ce."
"I know how you fe­el to­wards me. You ha­te me ... but ha­te and lo­ve can be very clo­se, Ka­te, in cer­ta­in mo­ments.
Passion is blind to the dif­fe­ren­ces of the mind. This is a ma­ting of bo­di­es. You and I we­re ma­de for each ot­her and that fi­er­ce re­luc­tan­ce of yo­urs . too fi­er­ce to be en­ti­rely na­tu­ral . - . just adds to the per­fec­ti­on. Do you un­ders­tand what I me­an? "
"No."
"Then I shall te­ach you."
"I wo­uld rat­her be ta­ught how to es­ca­pe from the pla­ce, to le­ave you and ne­ver see you aga­in."
"Much as I wo­uld li­ke to in­dul­ge you in all things, you ask too much."
"How long do you in­tend to ke­ep me he­re?"
"That de­pends. Wo­uld you li­ke a lit­tle wi­ne be­fo­re we sup?"
"Drugged wi­ne?"
"Oh no. That was only for con­ve­ni­en­ce in the first ins­tan­ce. Just whi­le we got over the er pre­li­mi­na­ri­es. It won't be ne­ces­sary now."
"Just or­di­nary com­mon ra­pe?"
"How outs­po­ken you are! You as­to­nish me. I sho­uld not ha­ve tho­ught a well-bro­ught-up lady wo­uld talk in such a way."
"Who wo­uld be­li­eve that a well-bro­ught-up lady wo­uld be in such a po­si­ti­on."
"Such things hap­pen a gre­at de­al mo­re fre­qu­ently than you wo­uld think.
One do­esn't he­ar of them. I will tell them to bring in the wi­ne. "
I watc­hed him go to the do­or, the blue ro­be swin­ging ro­und him.
He was in the di­ning-ro­om. If I co­uld get down the sta­irs, surp­ri­se the gu­ards . He was be­si­de me, smi­ling at me.
"You wo­uld ne­ver do it," he sa­id.
"And sup­po­se you got out? Ima­gi­ne be­ing on the ro­ad dres­sed li­ke that.
No mo­ney. Pe­op­le wo­uld think you we­re mad. "
"What ha­ve I ever do­ne to you that you sho­uld tre­at me li­ke this?"
"Bewitched me, for one thing. Co­me. They are brin­ging the wi­ne."
The wo­man ca­me in and set it on the tab­le. He went over to it and po­ured two glas­ses. One he han­ded to me.
"Drink it," he sa­id.
I to­ok the glass, but did not drink. He went to the tab­le and to­ok his, sip­ping it, lo­oking at me.
"I as­su­re you ... no drugs," he sa­id.
"Here. Gi­ve me yo­ur glass. You ta­ke mi­ne."
He to­ok mi­ne and thrust his in­to my hand. He drank qu­ickly.
"There, you see."
My thro­at felt dry and parc­hed. I felt I ne­eded so­me sti­mu­la­ti­on if I we­re to fa­ce what lay be­fo­re me. I sip­ped a lit­tle of the wi­ne.
"That's bet­ter," he sa­id.
"When my fat­her he­ars what has hap­pe­ned," I be­gan, and I he­si­ta­ted, won­de­ring what my fat­her wo­uld do.
"Yes," he promp­ted.
I was si­lent.
"Suppose I sa­id, " She ca­me ot­her own free will. She was so in­sis­tent that gal­lantry de­man­ded that I comply. "
"Would even you be ca­pab­le of such li­es?"
"You know that I wo­uld. Can you think of anyt­hing evil of which I sho­uld not be ca­pab­le? No, Ka­te. You can do not­hing, and wi­se wo­man that you are, you know this. The­re­fo­re you will, me­tap­ho­ri­cal­ly, shrug yo­ur sho­ul­ders and ma­ke the best of yo­ur fa­te."
"I do not gi­ve in so easily."
"I'm glad in a way. I wo­uldn't want you to be ot­her than the strong wo­man you are."
He dra­ined off the wi­ne.
"Come," he sa­id, ta­king my arm.
"I will con­duct you in to sup­per."
I re­fu­sed to ta­ke his arm and he se­ized me and put mi­ne thro­ugh his.
It was a ges­tu­re which imp­li­ed that even on the sligh­test mat­ter he was go­ing to ha­ve ab­so­lu­te obe­di­en­ce.
The ser­vants had go­ne. The tab­le lo­oked be­a­uti­ful with the eight ligh­ted cand­les of the can­de­lab­rum. He to­ok me to a cha­ir at the tab­le and pres­sed me down in­to it. Then he to­ok his pla­ce op­po­si­te me. The tab­le was not lar­ge, as it had ob­vi­o­usly be­en ma­de for two, so he was clo­se to me.
"There is so­up," he sa­id, lif­ting the lid of the tu­re­en, 'and I shall ser­ve you. The old wo­man is an ex­cel­lent co­ok and I am su­re you will enj­oy this. "
He han­ded me the pla­te but I tur­ned away, so he sig­hed and bro­ught it ro­und to me.
"Please don't be ti­re­so­me," he sa­id.
I sto­od up but he ig­no­red me and star­ted on the so­up.
"Pheasant, I think," he com­men­ted.
"Excellent. Whe­re are you go­ing? Are you so eager for bed?"
I sat down help­les­sly. The so­up did smell de­li­ci­o­us. He bro­ught me a glass of wi­ne.
"Undrugged, I pro­mi­se you," he sa­id aga­in.
I lo­oked at him de­fi­antly and star­ted on the so­up.
"That's bet­ter," he sa­id, lif­ting his glass.
"To us. Sus­pi­ci­o­us still?
I'll drink so­me of mi­ne and pass it to you. A sort of lo­ving cup. " 1 am go­ing to fight him, I tho­ught. I am go­ing to use all my strength to re­sist him. I'll eat . spa­ringly . but I must eat.
He drank and of­fe­red his glass to me. I did not want to drink much wi­ne, which wo­uld ma­ke me sle­epy. Yet on the ot­her hand, might it not be mo­re be­arab­le if I felt drowsy? Wo­uld I be mo­re re­sig­ned to ac­cep­ting what I knew had to co­me?
"Such de­ep tho­ughts," he sa­id.
"I can only gu­ess at them. Now a lit­tle of this ve­ni­son. I told them to ser­ve so­met­hing cold as I did not want them int­ru­ding on us whi­le we ate. I tho­ught you wo­uld pre­fer it that way. You see, Ka­te, how I con­si­der you. "
"I ha­ve no­ti­ced that," I sa­id with he­avy sar­casm.
"Of co­ur­se, as an ar­tist you are ob­ser­vant. You shall do anot­her mi­ni­atu­re of me. I so much enj­oyed our sit­tings. Yo­ur lit­tle de­ce­it was so amu­sing."
I was si­lent. He ate a gre­at de­al and I went on thin­king of the pos­si­bi­li­ti­es of es­ca­pe. Wo­uld that wo­man co­me in to re­mo­ve the dis­hes? If she left the do­or open . It was just ho­pe­less and I knew it. I felt fu­ri­o­usly angry and yet I co­uld not sup­press a cer­ta­in in­de­fi­nab­le ex­ci­te­ment.
"The ve­ni­son is go­od, is it not?" he sa­id.
"She has do­ne well, our old wo­man. You must not bla­me her ... or the co­ach­man. They we­re me­rely obe­ying or­ders."
"I know that."
"So you see they co­uld do no ot­her than what they did."
"All must do the will of the mighty Ba­ron."
"That is so. They are not to be bla­med. You must bla­me me, but gu­ile­less vir­gins who ce­ase to li­ve in that de­ba­tably happy sta­te can­not be en­ti­rely bla­me­less eit­her."
"Save yo­ur cru­de jests for tho­se who enj­oy them."
"I will," he rep­li­ed.
"But you are he­re, Ka­te, and how easily you wal­ked in­to the trap. You sho­uld ha­ve en­qu­ired abo­ut the tra­ins ... not just wal­ked in­to the web.
You we­re very qu­ick in Pa­ris."
I sta­red at him.
"Ah. I see I ha­ve ca­ught yo­ur at­ten­ti­on at last."
"Are you tal­king abo­ut that cab?"
"It was rat­her clumsy, wasn't it? Too in­vol­ved, too tricky. We had to get you ac­ross Pa­ris and you we­re too sharp for us. You we­re be­gin­ning to know the city too well and you re­ali­zed you we­re go­ing in the wrong di­rec­ti­on. You jum­ped out. That was a very dan­ge­ro­us thing to do.
Knowing the Pa­ris dri­vers, I won­der you we­re not run over. A fo­olish plan, re­al­ly. Not worthy of me. It just ca­me to me on the spur of the mo­ment and it ap­pe­aled to the sen­se of ad­ven­tu­re in me. I re­ali­zed al­most at on­ce that it was not very cle­ver and it owed a lot to chan­ce too. He'd be­en se­ve­ral days trying to pick you up. "
"Why did you do it?"
"I sho­uld ha­ve tho­ught that was ob­vi­o­us."
"So you we­re de­ter­mi­ned on ... ra­pe."
"Well, I was ho­ping to ac­hi­eve my ends to our mu­tu­al sa­tis­fac­ti­on."
"You are a mons­ter."
"Worthy to de­fa­ce the fa­ca­de of Not­re Da­me."
"I wo­uld not ha­ve be­li­eved that any man of to­day co­uld be­ha­ve as you ha­ve do­ne."
"Your know­led­ge of the world is not very gre­at."
"Perhaps I ha­ve li­ved my li­fe among ci­vi­li­zed pe­op­le un­til-' " Un­til now. I am su­re that is true. But alas, my de­ar Ka­te, you ha­ve be­co­me the vic­tim of the most dep­ra­ved. "
"Can I ap­pe­al to yo­ur sen­se of ho­no­ur ... yo­ur sen­se of de­cency ... to let me go?"
"There is no sen­se in ap­pe­aling to so­met­hing which do­es not exist. If I let you go now you can­not chan­ge yo­ur­self back in­to the wo­man you we­re be­fo­re last night."
"I want only to get away from you, to try to for­get I ever saw you .. ne­ver to see you aga­in."
"But I want just the op­po­si­te. I want you to stay he­re and re­mem­ber me fo­re­ver. The best lo­ver you ever had, for I shall be that, Ka­te."
I felt be­wil­de­red. I was li­ving aga­in that night­ma­re ri­de in the cab.
The Prin­ces­se sa­id it had be­en ar­ran­ged by the Ba­ron and she had be­en right abo­ut that, tho­ugh not for the re­ason she had sug­ges­ted. I was thin­king of that mo­ment when I had ope­ned the do­or and step­ped out al­most un­der the hor­se's no­se. And all so that he might sa­tisfy his lust.
I sto­od up sud­denly.
"Let me go," I cri­ed.
He was be­si­de me.
"Now, Ka­te," he sa­id, 'you know very well that I am not go­ing to let you go. That will co­me in go­od ti­me. Be pa­ti­ent. Our lit­tle ad­ven­tu­re is not yet over. "
He was abo­ut to se­ize me and I pic­ked up a kni­fe which was lying on the tab­le. I tur­ned the bla­de to­wards him.
He la­ug­hed.
"What!" he cri­ed.
"Would you kill me then? Oh, Ka­te! I ne­ver wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught that of you."
"Do not go­ad me too far," I cri­ed.
"If I kil­led you it wo­uld be no gre­at ca­la­mity for the world."
He ope­ned the ro­be he was we­aring and ba­red his chest.
"Come along, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"Right thro­ugh the he­art. It's abo­ut the­re, I think."
"You wo­uld be surp­ri­sed if I did."
"I sho­uld be in a con­di­ti­on whe­re it wo­uld not be pos­sib­le to show my surp­ri­se. What are you wa­iting for?"
"I sa­id don't go­ad me too far."
"That's exactly what I me­ant to do."
I lun­ged at him. He ca­ught my wrist and the kni­fe drop­ped to the flo­or.
"You see, Ka­te," he sa­id, 'you co­uldn't do it. "
"I co­uld. You pre­ven­ted me. If you we­re so su­re, why did you ma­ke me drop the kni­fe."
"To sa­ve yo­ur fe­elings. I'll tell you this: Well-bro­ught-up Eng­lish la­di­es do not stab the­ir lo­vers. They try to shat­ter them with words . with te­ars per­haps ... but not kni­ves."
"You ha­ve a gre­at de­al to le­arn abo­ut well-bro­ught-up Eng­lish la­di­es."
"I ha­ve ... and I am re­j­o­icing in the edu­ca­ti­on."
He had ta­ken me now and was hol­ding me aga­inst him.
"Kate," he sa­id softly, 'swe­et Ka­te, it is no use figh­ting. Sub­mit. I sho­uld li­ke to see you sub­mis­si­ve. I sho­uld li­ke you to put yo­ur arms abo­ut me and tell me that you are so happy that I bro­ught you he­re.
"
I drew myself away from him and be­ca­use he held me at

D.

L.

- As
R
arms' length, I be­gan be­ating that ba­re chest. He was la­ug­hing at me.
He knew as well as I did, that I sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve used that kni­fe aga­inst him. He was right. Pe­op­le who had be­en bro­ught up as I had did not do such things- no mat­ter what was do­ne to them.
He swept me up in his arms. I wrig­gled and tri­ed to bre­ak away, but he re­vel­led in ma­king me awa­re of his strength.
"You ma­ke me im­pa­ti­ent," he sa­id.
It was a long ti­me af­ter­wards be­fo­re I co­uld bring myself to think of that night. It had be­en dif­fe­rent from the pre­vi­o­us one. Then I had be­en in a drug­ged sta­te and only half awa­re. I fo­ught him . with all my strength I fo­ught him . kno­wing from the first mo­ment that I co­uld not win. But I ho­ped I sho­wed him my re­sent­ment, my lo­at­hing, my an­ger, my fury. At le­ast that of­fe­red so­me balm to my hu­mi­li­ated sen­ses.
But he did not ca­re. He li­ked that. Af­ter all, his very na­tu­re was that of a figh­ter.
Perhaps I re­ali­zed that I was pla­ying in­to his hands. I was gi­ving him what he wan­ted, be­ca­use, for a man of his na­tu­re, the gre­ater the re­sis­tan­ce, the gre­ater the tri­umph when vic­tory was won.
And vic­tory was ine­vi­tab­le. I might sco­re oc­ca­si­onal­ly in our ver­bal bat­tles but physi­cal­ly I was no match for him.
But I fo­ught. how I fo­ught! I whip­ped up my hat­red for him and so­mew­he­re at the back of my mind I re­ali­zed that I was figh­ting not only him but so­met­hing in myself. so­me ero­tic cu­ri­osity, so­me de­si­re for this conf­lict. so­me cra­ving for the ul­ti­ma­te sa­tis­fac­ti­on. I was van­qu­is­hed but I felt a cer­ta­in wild ex­hi­la­ra­ti­on in de­fe­at and the stron­ger my hat­red, the gre­ater my ex­ci­te­ment.
The bed was li­ke a bat­tle­fi­eld that night.
The next day pas­sed as the pre­vi­o­us one. I was be­gin­ning to fe­el I had spent a li­fe­ti­me in my pri­son. I won­de­red whet­her his obj­ect was to ke­ep me he­re un­til he had sub­du­ed my spi­rit to such an ex­tent that I me­ekly sub­mit­ted to him. If he ever did that, I felt, he wo­uld pro­bably be ti­red of the ad­ven­tu­re and let me go.
Sometimes still I tho­ught I was dre­aming. The­re was such an at­mosp­he­re of un­re­ality abo­ut the who­le mat­ter, and yet, kno­wing him, I sup­po­sed it was na­tu­ral eno­ugh.
He saw a wo­man; he tho­ught he wo­uld li­ke to se­du­ce her and he set abo­ut his pur­po­se. But he had known that the­re wo­uld ne­ver ha­ve be­en an easy sub­mis­si­on with me. It had to be for­ce, and so it had be­en.
The eve­ning sup­per was ser­ved as be­fo­re. I tho­ught he was a lit­tle dif­fe­rent. Was the­re a sha­de of reg­ret. ten­der­ness. Oh no. That was too strong a word. He co­uld ne­ver be ten­der. Ho­we­ver, the­re was a chan­ge in him and I won­de­red what it me­ant.
He sa­id rat­her so­berly as he po­ured the wi­ne: "Ka­te, it has be­en a won­der­ful ex­pe­ri­en­ce ... our be­ing to­get­her."
I was si­lent.
"Would you be­li­eve me if I told you I had ne­ver enj­oyed an as­so­ci­ati­on so much?"
"No," I sa­id.
"It's true. Why sho­uld I lie to you? The­re is no re­ason, is the­re?"
"I ha­ve not fo­und you re­aso­nab­le, so why sho­uld I ex­pect you to be so now?"
"You will le­arn that my ac­ti­ons ha­ve be­en well wit­hin the bo­unds of re­ason. I re­al­ly ac­ted with a very go­od re­ason for do­ing so."
"Which was the sa­tis­fac­ti­on of yo­ur lust, yo­ur de­si­re to exert yo­ur ma­le­vo­lent po­wers."
"Absolutely right. De­ar Ka­te, what an ob­ser­vant wo­man you are."
"It do­es not ne­ed a gre­at de­al of ob­ser­va­ti­on to as­sess a man's cha­rac­ter when his ac­ti­ons are tho­se of a bar­ba­ri­an."
Not all. "
"You are go­ing to re­mind me that you la­unc­hed me on my ca­re­er. I wish I had ne­ver he­ard of you. I wish I had ne­ver co­me to yo­ur cast­le and le­ar­ned that the­re are pe­op­le in the world who are not­hing mo­re than sa­va­ges."
"Such ti­ra­des are not very in­te­res­ting and the the­me of this one is be­co­ming so­mew­hat re­pe­ti­ti­o­us."
"It must be when everyt­hing I say to you has to tell you how much I lo­at­he and des­pi­se you."
"Do you know, I got a dif­fe­rent imp­res­si­on last night."
"You ha­ve deg­ra­ded me. You ha­ve tre­ated me as no ho­no­urab­le man wo­uld ever tre­at a wo­man. What you ha­ve do­ne is a cri­mi­nal of­fen­ce. In tho­se old days of which you are so fond, you wo­uld ha­ve be­en han­ged or sent to the gal­leys for what you ha­ve do­ne."
"Not a man in my po­si­ti­on. I be­li­eve that one of my an­ces­tors used to way­lay tra­vel­lers, bring them he­re and hold them to ran­som. Yet he was ne­ver as­ked to ac­co­unt for his mis­de­eds."
"A lit­tle ga­me which might ap­pe­al to you."
"It do­esn't ap­pe­al in the le­ast. I ha­ve mo­ney in plenty."
"How for­tu­na­te for the tra­vel­lers!"
"If one has suf­fi­ci­ent po­wer and er ex­per­ti­se, shall I say, one can do a gre­at de­al which ot­her pe­op­le can­not. I am go­ing to tell you a true story of one of my an­ces­tors. Wo­uld you li­ke to he­ar it?"
"I wo­uld pre­fer to walk out of this pla­ce and ne­ver see you aga­in."
"You wo­uld con­ti­nue to see me in yo­ur mind's eye and my vo­ice wo­uld ha­unt yo­ur dre­ams."
"I shall do everyt­hing in my po­wer to wi­pe them from my me­mory."
"Oh, Ka­te, has it be­en so ha­te­ful for you?"
"Words can­not desc­ri­be how ha­te­ful. When I le­ave he­re I shall be ab­le to see it in all its hor­ror and I will ne­ver for­get or for­gi­ve you for what you ha­ve do­ne to me."
"Those are harsh words."
"Deservedly so."
"Let me tell you this story of my an­ces­tor. I think it will in­te­rest you."
I did not ans­wer and he went on: "It hap­pe­ned a long ti­me ago, in the thir­te­enth cen­tury to be exact, in the re­ign of Phi­lip­pe who was known as Le Bel be­ca­use he was so hand­so­me. This an­ces­tor of mi­ne was Flo­ren­ce, Earl of Hol­land. A stran­ge na­me for a man, you think. But so­me na­mes are used for men and wo­men he­re. Flo­ren­ce was a man who had had many lo­ve-affa­irs."
T can un­ders­tand yo­ur af­fi­nity, tho­ugh lo­ve-a. Sa. us se­ems an odd way to desc­ri­be them. "
He ig­no­red the in­ter­rup­ti­on.
"Florence had a mist­ress to whom he was rat­her gra­te­ful. He had many mist­res­ses, of co­ur­se, but this one had be­co­me mo­re im­por­tant to him than any of the ot­hers had be­en. The­re ca­me a ti­me when he had fi­nis­hed with her and he wan­ted to see her set­tled in­to res­pec­tab­le mar­ri­age."
"With so­me­one el­se, I pre­su­me, sin­ce he no lon­ger had any use for her?"
"Oh, you are lis­te­ning then. I'm glad of that for I am su­re you will find this very in­te­res­ting. He as­ked one of his mi­nis­ters to marry her. This mi­nis­ter in­dig­nantly re­fu­sed, sa­ying that he wo­uld ne­ver marry one of Flo­ren­ce's cas­toff mist­res­ses."
"I am not surp­ri­sed that he re­fu­sed."
"Florence didn't li­ke it. He was very po­wer­ful. Can you gu­ess what he did?"
I was lo­oking at him in­tently now and slow hor­ror was be­gin­ning to dawn on me. I sa­id: "You want to tell me, don't you?"
"That mi­nis­ter was at the ti­me ena­mo­ured of a wo­man whom he wis­hed to marry. He mar­ri­ed her and snap­ped his fin­gers at his mas­ter. The­re was no qu­es­ti­on then of his be­ing for­ced to marry Flo­ren­ce's mist­ress."
"So po­or Flo­ren­ce did not get his way for on­ce?"
"Oh, he did. He ne­ver al­lo­wed an­yo­ne to get the bet­ter of him. Can you gu­ess what he did. He way­la­id the new wi­fe one day and had her bro­ught to his cast­le. Can you gu­ess what hap­pe­ned?"
I sta­red at him in mo­un­ting hor­ror.
"He kept her the­re for three days," he sa­id, watc­hing me in­tently.
"The re­cords say that he vi­ola­ted her aga­inst her will. Then he sent her back to his mi­nis­ter with a no­te sa­ying:
"You we­re wrong. You see you did marry one of my mist­res­ses." " "
What a ter­rib­le story. "
He was si­lent for a few mo­ments, re­gar­ding me over the can­de­lab­rum.
"I tell you this," he sa­id, 'to let you know what my an­ces­tors we­re li­ke. So what can you ex­pect of me? "
"I knew al­re­ady that they we­re bar­ba­ri­ans. What hap­pe­ned to the nob­le Flo­ren­ce?"
"He was mur­de­red la­ter on."
"Oh!" I'm glad. The story has the right en­ding af­ter all. The wron­ged hus­band mur­de­red him, I sup­po­se. "
"It was ge­ne­ral­ly be­li­eved to be so."
"It sho­uld be a les­son to all bar­ba­ri­ans."
"Barbarians ne­ver le­arn that sort of les­son."
"No, I sup­po­se not."
He was smi­ling at me. I felt sick with ap­pre­hen­si­on. This was be­gin­ning to ta­ke on a new me­aning. Be­fo­re I had felt I wo­uld fight every inch of the way even tho­ugh the bat­tle was lost. But now . I co­uld not be­ar to think of what this me­ant. He was mo­re cyni­cal than I had be­li­eved even him to be.
I sto­od up. He sa­id: "Are you re­ady? Whe­re are you go­ing?"
"I wo­uld go anyw­he­re to get away from you."
"Poor Ka­te!" he sa­id and ca­ught me in his arms.
For the first ti­me I felt as tho­ugh I want to burst in­to te­ars. I co­uld see what he was do­ing. This was not­hing to do with his de­si­re for me. I was a symbol. He had dis­co­ve­red that Bert­rand and I we­re bet­rot­hed and he had de­man­ded that Bert­rand marry Ni­co­le. Bert­rand had re­fu­sed. So the Ba­ron had ta­ken me so that he co­uld say as his an­ces­tor had be­fo­re him: "You will marry a mist­ress of mi­ne af­ter all, even tho­ugh she is not the one I plan­ned for you."
I be­li­eve I co­uld ha­ve kil­led him if I had be­en ca­pab­le of the physi­cal strength. He de­ser­ved the sa­me fa­te as his an­ces­tor.
"Kate," he sa­id.
"I'm in lo­ve with you."
"I know you are ca­pab­le of every evil, but you are not ca­pab­le of lo­ving an­yo­ne, so the­re is no ne­ed to tell bla­tant li­es."
"There is no ne­ed, is the­re, for me to say what I do not me­an?"
"You lo­ve yo­ur­self... yo­ur pri­de ... yo­ur lust ... yo­ur gre­ed . that is what you lo­ve."
"I lo­ve myself, yes ... but next to myself it's you ... for to­night."
I la­id a hand on his arm.
"Let me go ... ple­ase?" I beg­ged.
"So ap­pe­aling. So be­a­uti­ful," he sa­id and he pic­ked me up in his arms.
I lay on the bed . su­pi­ne . in­dif­fe­rent al­most. Vi­ola­ti­on had be­co­me com­monp­la­ce. My body was no lon­ger my own. I was we­ary, ti­red of re­ite­ra­ting my hat­red.
I mur­mu­red: "If only I co­uld send ti­me back. If only I co­uld go back to the ti­me when I was in Pa­ris. I co­uld go ho­me ... ins­te­ad of co­ming he­re ..."
"You wo­uld ha­ve mis­sed the gre­atest ex­pe­ri­en­ce of yo­ur li­fe."
"The gre­atest deg­ra­da­ti­on."
Then I lost my in­dif­fe­ren­ce and sho­uted at him . my hat­red and con­tempt.
He did not he­ed me. He just tur­ned to me and sho­wed me on­ce mo­re that I was his to com­mand.
It was mor­ning. I was awa­ke­ned by the so­und of fo­ots­teps and vo­ices.
I sat up in bed. My ro­be was lying on the flo­or whe­re he had thrown it.
Someone was co­ming in­to the ro­om.
It was the Ba­ron and with him . Bert­rand.
I saw then that this was the fi­nal sce­ne of a far­ce . co­medy. tra­gedy. wha­te­ver he me­ant it to be. This was the cli­max to­wards which he had be­en wor­king.
"Mademoiselle Col­li­son is he­re," he was sa­ying.
"She has be­en he­re for three nights ... with me. Well, Bert­rand, the­re is no ne­ed for me to say mo­re. I wish you a fe­li­ci­to­us li­fe to­get­her.
I can as­su­re you, Ka­te is a most de­si­rab­le wo­man. Many will envy you.
I myself for one.
And anot­her ti­me, Bert­rand, don't be a fo­ol. Do as I tell you. You must not think be­ca­use I ha­ve gi­ven you so­me in­de­pen­den­ce you can flo­ut me. "
That mo­ment re­ma­ins in my me­mory fo­re­ver. The­re was a sud­den stil­lness in the ro­om. It was as tho­ugh we we­re all ina­ni­ma­te out­li­nes in a pic­tu­re.
Bertrand sta­red at me first in ama­ze­ment and then in gro­wing un­ders­tan­ding. Hor­ror . dis­be­li­ef. re­ali­za­ti­on . dis­gust. I saw all tho­se emo­ti­ons in his fa­ce.
His lips for­med my na­me: "Ka­te ..."
I ra­ised myself hol­ding the co­ver­let abo­ut me.
I cri­ed out: "I was bro­ught he­re ... drug­ged ... for­ced ..."
Bertrand con­ti­nu­ed to sta­re at me. Then he tur­ned to the Ba­ron who sto­od the­re smi­ling evil­ly . li­ke the de­mon- gar­goy­le on Not­re Da­me.
He nod­ded slowly in af­fir­ma­ti­on.
"She fo­ught li­ke a wild cat," he sa­id.
"But I think we ca­me to an ... un­ders­tan­ding."
Bertrand's fa­ce was dis­tor­ted. I tho­ught he was go­ing to we­ep. Then sud­denly his exp­res­si­on chan­ged. The­re was not­hing but hat­red. He sprang at the Ba­ron but that wic­ked man was wa­iting for him. Bert­rand was at his thro­at but the Ba­ron pic­ked him up and threw him from him.
Bertrand went down and slid ac­ross the flo­or.
"Get up," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"You are ma­king a fo­ol of yo­ur­self ... and be­fo­re Ka­te. Ka­te, yo­ur clot­hes will be bro­ught up to you. Dress and ta­ke a lit­tle fo­od." He la­id an en­ve­lo­pe on the tab­le.
"Here is the pay­ment for the port­ra­it as we ar­ran­ged, and he­re al­so are the tic­kets you will ne­ed. You may le­ave in an ho­ur's ti­me. The car­ri­age will ta­ke you to the sta­ti­on. All the con­nec­ti­ons ha­ve be­en chec­ked. I pre­su­me you will want to go stra­ight to Eng­land for a rest be­fo­re you ta­ke up yo­ur next com­mis­si­on. Bert­rand can con­duct you as far as he wis­hes."
With that he tur­ned away and left us.
Bertrand had pic­ked him­self up. He was sha­ken by the fall but not so much as he had be­en by what he had se­en and he­ard.
I was sorry for him. I co­uld see that his hu­mi­li­ati­on was al­most as de­ep as my own; and I knew in that mo­ment that I co­uld ne­ver marry him.
I co­uld ne­ver marry an­yo­ne af­ter this.
He sto­od lo­oking at me.
"Kate," he sa­id.
"He ... is a mons­ter," I sa­id.
"I want to go ho­me."
He nod­ded.
"I want to le­ave this pla­ce at the ear­li­est pos­sib­le mo­ment."
The wo­man ca­me in with my clot­hes and hot wa­ter. Bert­rand left us.
"I'll bring you so­me pe­tit de­j­e­uner," sa­id the wo­man, cosy as ever.
"No, thanks," I sa­id.
"I want not­hing mo­re he­re. I want to le­ave at on­ce."
She did not ans­wer but set down the hot wa­ter. I was­hed has­tily and dres­sed. It se­emed stran­ge to be in my own clot­hes aga­in.
I even fo­und the pins for my ha­ir on the tab­le with the mir­ror and I la­ug­hed a lit­tle hyste­ri­cal­ly to think how pre­ci­sely everyt­hing had be­en ta­ken- ca­re of.
Dressed, I felt myself aga­in a dif­fe­rent per­son from the one in the fur­red ro­be and clo­ud of ha­ir. Pe­ering clo­sely at my fa­ce I de­tec­ted a dif­fe­ren­ce the­re. What was it a lo­ok of world­li­ness? Eve must ha­ve lo­oked li­ke that af­ter ha­ving eaten the for­bid­den fru­it.
I des­cen­ded the short spi­ral sta­ir­ca­se. The gre­at iron- stud­ded do­or was open.
I fo­und my way out of the to­wer and down to the ro­om whe­re it se­emed so long ago I had par­ta­ken of pot aufeu and drug­ged wi­ne.
Bertrand was out­si­de with the car­ri­age. The­re was no sign of the Ba­ron. I sup­po­sed he had go­ne back to the cast­le. The lit­tle ad­ven­tu­re which had ru­ined my li­fe and bro­ught him the sa­tis­fac­ti­on he had ne­eded, was over.
I sa­id: "Let us go. Let us get away from this pla­ce."
So we went to­get­her.
Bertrand sa­id very lit­tle du­ring the jo­ur­ney. I tho­ught it wo­uld ne­ver end. We had left Ro­u­en and we­re ap­pro­ac­hing the co­ast.
I sa­id to him: "The­re is no ne­ed for you to cross the Chan­nel. I don't ne­ed an es­cort in my own co­untry."
He nod­ded aga­in.
When we re­ac­hed Ca­la­is, the­re was an ho­ur to wa­it for the pac­ket-bo­at.
I sa­id: "Don't stay, Bert­rand."
"I will see you sa­fely on bo­ard," he rep­li­ed.
He sat lo­oking over the sea. Then he did talk a lit­tle.
He sa­id: "I'll kill him."
"It wo­uld chan­ge not­hing."
"It wo­uld be a bles­sing for man­kind."

I 7 I

"Bertrand, don't talk li­ke that. It wo­uld be a do­ub­le tra­gedy if you ga­ve way to re­ven­ge."
I was thin­king: You wo­uld ne­ver do it. You co­uld not. He wo­uld ne­ver al­low it and he is the one who calls the tu­ne.
Bertrand to­ok my hand and pres­sed it. I tri­ed not to show how I shrank from his to­uch.
Everything was chan­ged. I be­li­eved I wo­uld ne­ver be ab­le to shut out of my mind the ima­ges which crow­ded in­to it, and Rol­lo de Cen­te­vil­le do­mi­na­ted them all.
I did not think Bert­rand wan­ted to marry me now. I had se­en that lo­ok of re­vul­si­on in his eyes when he had lo­oked at me in that bed. It was not that he did not be­li­eve I had be­en tric­ked and for­ced aga­inst my will . he be­li­eved all that wit­ho­ut a do­ubt. He saw me as the vic­tim I had be­en; but at the sa­me ti­me he co­uld not for­get that, as the Ba­ron sa­id, I had be­en his mist­ress.
I co­uld ne­ver marry Bert­rand. Everyt­hing bet­we­en us had be­en over sin­ce that mo­ment he ca­me in­to the bed­ro­om.
So for on­ce Rol­lo wo­uld not ha­ve his way. The obj­ect had be­en to ma­ke Bert­rand eat his words. He wo­uld marry one of the Ba­ron's cast-off mist­res­ses . so he had tho­ught. He was fo­oled at last, for the­re wo­uld be no mar­ri­age.
I was glad to be alo­ne.
His last words we­re: "I will wri­te. We will work out so­met­hing ..."
I smi­led at him. I knew it was over.
I le­aned over the ra­il lo­oking at the swir­ling wa­ter and I was fil­led with an angry re­sent­ment. I tho­ught of that Ka­te Col­li­son who had cros­sed the Chan­nel not long ago set­ting out on a dan­ge­ro­us ad­ven­tu­re.
And dan­ge­ro­us it had cer­ta­inly be­en, for I had co­me wit­hin the or­bit of that stran­ge man, the bar­ba­ri­an who had chan­ged my li­fe.
Fury se­ized me. He had da­red use me be­ca­use he wis­hed to show that he must be obe­yed. Bert­rand must obey him. It had not­hing to do with his de­si­re for me, which I had be­li­eved must ha­ve be­en gre­at for him to go to such lengths to sa­tisfy it.
That was the ul­ti­ma­te hu­mi­li­ati­on. That was what an­ge­red me de­ep down mo­re than anyt­hing el­se that had hap­pe­ned to me.
Away in the dis­tan­ce I co­uld see the whi­te cliffs. The sight had a he­aling ef­fect on me. I was go­ing ho­me.
Nicole ---------‹‹S ‹^›r‹^›-----------It was a stran­ge fe­eling tra­vel­ling thro­ugh the Ken­tish co­untry­si­de.
The orc­hards, the hop fi­elds, the oast ho­uses, the me­adows and the lit­tle wo­ods, they all se­emed so fresh, even af­ter the sum­mer. They lo­oked the sa­me as I had se­en them many ti­mes be­fo­re. It was I who had chan­ged.
People wo­uld su­rely no­ti­ce. I co­uld not be the sa­me. I did not lo­ok qu­ite the sa­me. Wo­uld they ask qu­es­ti­ons? How sho­uld I ans­wer them?
One thing I knew and that was that I co­uld ne­ver be­ar to talk of the sha­me­ful thing that had hap­pe­ned to me.
It se­emed that every day my hat­red for that man grew mo­re in­ten­se. If he bar­ba­ri­an that he was had gre­atly de­si­red me, alt­ho­ugh I co­uld not ha­ve for­gi­ven him, per­haps I might- be­ne­ath my re­sent­ment ha­ve felt a lit­tle flat­te­red. But it had not be­en li­ke that. He had me­rely wan­ted his re­ven­ge on Bert­rand and he had used me for that pur­po­se, ta­ken me as tho­ugh I we­re so­me ina­ni­ma­te obj­ect to be pic­ked up and thrown asi­de when he had fi­nis­hed with it. That was how he saw all pe­op­le. It did not oc­cur to him that they might ha­ve fe­elings . or did it? Per­haps he simply did not ca­re that they had. Everyt­hing . ever­yo­ne . was for his ple­asu­re.
Well, he sho­uld not sco­re this ti­me. He had ru­ined my li­fe . and Bert­rand's too per­haps . but he was not go­ing to get the re­sult he was lo­oking for. His plot was go­ing to fa­il. He co­uld say that I had be­en his mist­ress al­be­it most un­wil­lingly- but he co­uld not ma­ke me marry Bert­rand.
We co­uld snap our fin­gers at him.
But I must stop thin­king of him. He was over as far as I was con­cer­ned. I ho­ped ne­ver to see him aga­in. I had to think of myself and what I was go­ing to do. The­re was only one way to act and that was to carry on as tho­ugh this had ne­ver hap­pe­ned.
Could I do that? I wo­uld so­on be put to the test.
I to­ok the sta­ti­on fly and very so­on I was get­ting out at the fa­mi­li­ar ho­use.
There was a cry from wit­hin.
"She's he­re. It's Ka­te."
And they we­re run­ning out. I saw my fat­her first and his fa­ce was shi­ning with hap­pi­ness.
"Kate!" he cri­ed.
"Dear Ka­te."
Then I was in his arms. He held me away from him and stu­di­ed me. I felt myself flus­hing. Was it ob­vi­o­us? But he ga­ve no sign of anyt­hing but the ut­most joy . and pri­de that mo­re than anyt­hing.
"My de­arest child," he sa­id.
"It was a gre­at suc­cess ... be­yond my dre­ams."
I tho­ught: His eyes are not strong eno­ugh to no­ti­ce the dif­fe­ren­ce.
I saw Cla­re then. She was stan­ding shyly in the backg­ro­und. So­me of the ser­vants we­re with her Mrs. Ba­ines the co­ok and Jer­ry the handy­man, and the ma­ids. They we­re all grin­ning the­ir ple­asu­re.
Clare ca­me for­ward and to­ok my hand ten­ta­ti­vely. I kis­sed her.
"You lo­ok well," she sa­id.
"We we­re all so happy to he­ar that the pic­tu­re was such a suc­cess."
Mrs. Ba­ines had co­oked a ste­ak pie. I had li­ked it as a child and had be­en eating it fre­qu­ently ever sin­ce be­ca­use it was sa­id to be one of my fa­vo­uri­te fo­ods. Sup­per wo­uld be ser­ved early, she sa­id. She rec­ko­ned that tra­vel­ling whip­ped up the ap­pe­ti­te.
Clare to­ok me to my ro­om.
"Oh Ka­te," she sa­id, "I'm so glad you're back."

NICOLE 175

I lo­oked at her ste­adily and sa­id: "You know abo­ut my fat­her now."
"Yes, he told us all when he ca­me back."
"What is it go­ing to do to him?"
She was tho­ught­ful.
"Oddly eno­ugh," she sa­id, 'he do­esn't se­em as up­set as you wo­uld think.
It was due to all that suc­cess you had. He told us abo­ut it. How that Ba­ron was it? had a spe­ci­al gat­he­ring and int­ro­du­ced you, and how you we­re go­ing alo­ne to do the mi­ni­atu­re of the prin­cess and how you had ot­her com­mis­si­ons. He fe­els his ta­lent is a pre­ci­o­us gift and it has be­en pas­sed sa­fely in­to yo­ur hands. "
"You re­al­ly think that's how hf fe­els?"
"Oh, I do. He has tal­ked to me abo­ut it." She lo­we­red her eyes al­most apo­lo­ge­ti­cal­ly.
"I think it's be­ca­use ofE­vie ... and my be­ing a con­nec­ti­on of hers. He fe­els he can talk to me."
"It's for you yo­ur­self, Cla­re," I as­su­red her.
"Evie was a won­der­ful rock for us, but she wasn't par­ti­cu­larly sympat­he­tic abo­ut our pa­in­ting. She sa­id it was " very ni­ce" but I think it was only ac­cep­tab­le be­ca­use it was our li­ve­li­ho­od. He fe­els you un­ders­tand, Cla­re."
"Oh, I do ho­pe so."
"One sen­ses it," I told her.
"You must ha­ve had a most ex­ci­ting ti­me. You lo­ok ... I wa­ited ap­pre­hen­si­vely.
"Different," she fi­nis­hed.
"Different?"
"Well... mo­re worldly, I sup­po­se. Na­tu­ral­ly you wo­uld ... tra­vel­ling and be­ing re­cog­ni­zed. It has ma­de a dif­fe­ren­ce in you. You lo­ok ... shall I say? ... po­ised." She la­ug­hed.
"Don't ask me to exp­la­in. I was ne­ver go­od at exp­la­na­ti­ons. When you ha­ve was­hed and chan­ged do go and talk to yo­ur fat­her. He is so lon­ging to ha­ve you to him­self I went to him as so­on as I co­uld. He was in his study. Han­ging on the walls we­re two mi­ni­atu­res- one he had do­ne of my mot­her and the ot­her of me as a child. They we­re ex­qu­isi­te pi­eces of work his best, I al­ways tho­ught. He wo­uld ne­ver part with them.
"Kate," he cri­ed.
"It is go­od to ha­ve you ho­me. Now tell me everyt­hing."
Everything? I sho­uld cer­ta­inly not do that. I won­de­red fle­etingly how my de­ar, go­od and rat­her in­no­cent fat­her wo­uld ha­ve re­ac­ted to the ra­pe of his da­ugh­ter.
"The Prin­ces­se's mi­ni­atu­re ..." he went on.
"It was ap­pro­ved."
"Did the Ba­ron co­me to see it?"
"No. I had to ta­ke it to him. He has pa­id for it."
"My de­ar Ka­te, you will be rich. Was the Prin­ces­se an easy su­bj­ect?"
"In a way, yes. She was just a yo­ung girl."
"But a Prin­ces­se!"
"She was qu­ite a nor­mal girl re­al­ly."
"And the Ba­ron ..." The­re se­emed to be a long pa­use.
"He re­al­ly did li­ke it, then. Was he as ent­hu­si­as­tic abo­ut it as he was abo­ut yo­ur port­ra­it of him?"
"I don't know. I think he li­ked it tho­ugh." '-Won­der­ful. A man who wo­uld not be easy to ple­ase. "
I wan­ted to scre­am out: Ple­ase stop tal­king abo­ut him. The only pe­ace of mind I can ha­ve is in for­get­ting him.
"What abo­ut you?" I as­ked.
"You ha­ve co­me to ac­cept... the ine­vi­tab­le."
"The fact that you ha­ve be­en re­cog­ni­zed ma­kes a lot of dif­fe­ren­ce to me, Ka­te. I al­ways knew you had a re­mar­kab­le ta­lent, but I did think it was go­ing to be dif­fi­cult to ma­ke the world re­ali­ze it. And now thanks to the Ba­ron ..."
I sa­id qu­ickly: "Has the­re be­en any chan­ge in yo­ur eyes?"
"I fancy I don't see as well as I did when we set out on our tra­vels.
It is li­ke lo­oking in­to a fog. a lit­tle way off. but the fog cre­eps ne­arer. That was a mad prank of ours, Ka­te, but the won­der of it was that it wor­ked. If the Ba­ron hadn't NI­CO­LE i if be­en a true con­no­is­se­ur of art, it co­uld ne­ver ha­ve hap­pe­ned. "
Could he not stop brin­ging the man in­to the con­ver­sa­ti­on? He se­emed ob­ses­sed by him.
"I ha­ve ot­her com­mis­si­ons now," I sa­id qu­ickly.
"Yes. That is won­der­ful."
"I shall be go­ing back to Pa­ris to the ho­use of the Du­ponts in three we­eks' ti­me. I ha­ve to pa­int the two da­ugh­ters, you re­mem­ber."
"It's qu­ite won­der­ful. And when I think what you owe to the Ba­ron ..
"
I sa­id: "I think we sho­uld go to din­ner now, Mrs. Ba­ines won't be ple­ased if we are la­te."
So we di­ned- my fat­her, Cla­re and I and I tack­led the ste­ak pie to Mrs.
Baines's sa­tis­fac­ti­on and ans­we­red the qu­es­ti­ons which we­re fi­red at me.
Clare lo­oked on with her big doe-li­ke eyes, full of hap­pi­ness be­ca­use I was ho­me and my fat­her was co­ming to terms abo­ut his enc­ro­ac­hing blind­ness.
It was ama­zing how many ti­mes my fat­her men­ti­oned the Ba­ron. It was im­pos­sib­le to es­ca­pe from the man and I felt as tho­ugh he we­re sit­ting at our di­ning-ro­om tab­le with us.
And that night I dre­amed of him. I was lying on that bed in the lod­ge and he was ap­pro­ac­hing me. I scre­amed and awa­ke­ned, gre­atly re­li­eved to find myself in my own ho­mely bed.
I won­de­red then, was I ever go­ing to ba­nish that man from my li­fe?
A few days la­ter a let­ter ca­me from Ma­da­me Du­pont. She ho­ped I wo­uld co­me as so­on as pos­sib­le. Her sis­ter-in-law wan­ted to talk bu­si­ness with me too. She al­so had a da­ugh­ter and was eager to ha­ve a Col­li­son mi­ni­atu­re ot­her.
"Of co­ur­se," she wro­te, "I know you are com­mit­ted to do the wi­fe of Mon­si­e­ur Vil­lef­ranc­he first but ple­ase do not let him thrust so­me­one el­se upon you be­fo­re you do my sis­ter-inlaw's girl."
I was in­de­ed a suc­cess. And he had do­ne that for me, but I co­uld not be gra­te­ful to him. I co­uld fe­el not­hing but hat­red and dis­gust.
I wo­uld go ear­li­er than I in­ten­ded. I felt I had to get away from all the in­ter­ro­ga­ti­on which I had to en­du­re con­cer­ning my stay in Pa­ris and I co­uld not be­ar my fat­her's cons­tant re­fe­ren­ces to the Ba­ron.
Moreover, li­fe in Far­ring­don was not the sa­me. I tho­ught the vi­ca­ra­ge fa­mily frankly bo­ring and I had ne­ver be­en so very fri­endly with the Cam­bo­mes.
Clare was get­ting on very well in the vil­la­ge. She had fit­ted in li­ke a na­ti­ve and was cons­tantly at the vi­ca­ra­ge, de­co­ra­ting the church and dis­cus­sing me­ans of ra­ising mo­ney for the bells and in­vol­ving her­self ge­ne­ral­ly in the af­fa­irs of the ne­igh­bo­ur­ho­od. They all li­ked her, but her par­ti­cu­lar fri­ends we­re the Cam­bo­me twins. She tal­ked to me abo­ut them. She was a lit­tle con­cer­ned be­ca­use Ho­pe had an ad­mi­rer and she wor­ri­ed a lit­tle abo­ut po­or Fa­ith.
"What wo­uld she do," she sa­id, 'if her twin mar­ri­ed. She can't jo­in up with them, can she? I do think po­or Fa­ith is get­ting very ap­pre­hen­si­ve. How stran­ge na­tu­re is . to ma­ke two pe­op­le so clo­se .
"
I scar­cely lis­te­ned. The af­fa­irs of the vil­la­ge had be­co­me very dull to me.
I was glad when the ti­me ca­me for me to le­ave.
My fat­her sa­id: "It lo­oks as tho­ugh you will ha­ve se­ve­ral com­mis­si­ons.
There is this new one co­ming along with the sis­ter-in-law. You must ta­ke ad­van­ta­ge of it. "
"It co­uld me­an qu­ite a long stay in Pa­ris," I po­in­ted out.
"The lon­ger the bet­ter ... at this sta­ge. You ha­ve to get known. La­ter you can be mo­re se­lec­ti­ve. It wo­uld be a mis­ta­ke to over­lo­ad the mar­ket, but just at first you must get known."

NICOLE I JQ

"I fe­el I can le­ave you in sa­fe hands."
"Clare is won­der­ful. Shall I whis­per so­met­hing? She's easi­er to get on with than Evie was."
"That's exactly what I think. Evie was a mar­vel of ef­fi­ci­ency but Cla­re is mo­re ... what shall I say? She's sof­ter ... mo­re hu­man . "
"You're right. You co­uldn't le­ave me in bet­ter hands. So ... no ne­ed to worry abo­ut anyt­hing at ho­me. Ke­ep yo­ur mind on yo­ur work. You're go­ing to be the best Col­li­son of us all."
I was rat­her re­li­eved when the ti­me ca­me for me to set out for Pa­ris.
In spi­te of everyt­hing, I co­uldn't help fe­eling ex­hi­la­ra­ted when I ar­ri­ved in Pa­ris. It was early eve­ning when I step­ped out of the tra­in at the Ga­re du Nord and im­me­di­ately ca­ught that whiff of ex­ci­te­ment which the city had pre­vi­o­usly aro­used in me. I was ca­ught up in the bust­le and no­ti­ced im­me­di­ately the no­ise. The French tal­ked so much mo­re lo­udly than we did in Eng­land and the­ir hands we­re as exp­res­si­ve as the­ir vo­ices. I he­ard stra­ins of mu­sic co­ming from so­mew­he­re; and I smelt the fa­mi­li­ar smell of tra­ins and per­fu­me.
I tho­ught then: The past is do­ne with. I shall be­gin aga­in from he­re.
But when the por­ter car­ri­ed my bags and ha­iled a cab for me and I ca­ught sight of the coc­ker with his blue co­at and whi­te hat, I co­uld not stop the tre­mor of ap­pre­hen­si­on run­ning thro­ugh me. I wo­uld ne­ver en­ti­rely for­get. Even as I step­ped in­to the cab and was as­ked in a fri­endly vo­ice whe­re I wan­ted to go, I lo­oked sus­pi­ci­o­usly in­to the smi­ling fa­ce and saw anot­her the­re.
I pul­led myself to­get­her and ga­ve Ma­da­me Du­pont's ad­dress. I felt de­eply mo­ved as we trot­ted down the fa­mi­li­ar Bo­ule­vard Ha­us­smann. The Rue du Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int- Ho­no­re was not far off.
The Du­ponts' ho­use was in the Bo­ule­vard Co­ur­cel­les nest­ling among a row of tall whi­te ho­uses which I ca­me to re­cog­ni­ze as typi­cal of the town ho­uses of tho­se who had es­ta­tes in the co­untry.
I sus­pec­ted the Du­ponts we­re of that gen­re, as they had be­en gu­ests of the Ba­ron. I was su­re he wo­uld only know pe­op­le who we­re rich or of nob­le li­ne­age.
I was al­most surp­ri­sed when the cab drew up and the coc­ker co­ur­te­o­usly hel­ped me with my bags.
The do­or was ope­ned by a man­ser­vant in dark blue li­very with to­uc­hes of sil­ver abo­ut it. He gre­eted me with de­fe­ren­ce. I was evi­dently ex­pec­ted.
"Madame has as­ked that you be ta­ken to her as so­on as you ar­ri­ve," he told me.
"Pray co­me this way."
He sig­nal­led to a boy in the sa­me dark blue li­very but with less sil­ver bra­id, which I pre­su­med in­di­ca­ted that he was of in­fe­ri­or rank, to ta­ke my bags, whi­le I fol­lo­wed him in­to a lar­ge ro­om with dark blue walls and whi­te dra­pe­ri­es which we­re most ef­fec­ti­ve. It was a sort of re­cep­ti­on hall. The man knoc­ked on a do­or and with a flo­urish ope­ned it and an­no­un­ced that Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son had ar­ri­ved.
Madame Du­pont swam to­wards me.
"Welcome, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son," she cri­ed.
"It is a gre­at ple­asu­re to ha­ve you with us. We are lo­oking for­ward to what you are go­ing to do for us. Now, we want you to be very com­for­tab­le whi­le you stay with us... and I do ho­pe you will be ab­le to work for my sis­ter-in-law. She is most an­xi­o­us for you to ma­ke a pretty pic­tu­re of her yo­ung da­ugh­ter." Ma­da­me Du­pont put a fin­ger to her lips as tho­ugh to con­ce­al a smi­le.
"I don't think you will find her such a re­war­ding su­bj­ect as my girls.
But you'll do so­met­hing be­a­uti­ful with her, I know. I think per­haps you wo­uld li­ke to go to yo­ur ro­om first and then ... shall we say ... me­et the girls? I

NICOLE 181

believe you ha­ve to talk to them. draw them out. That was what the Ba­ron sug­ges­ted, I think. "
"Thank you, Ma­da­me Du­pont," I sa­id.
"You are very kind."
"And it has be­en a trying jo­ur­ney I ha­ve no do­ubt."
"Well, it is long and the cros­sing is al­ways dif­fi­cult."
"Yes, of co­ur­se. Now wo­uld you li­ke so­me ref­resh­ment or will you wa­it for din­ner? It is for you to say."
I sa­id I wo­uld wa­it for din­ner and she rep­li­ed that she wo­uld sum­mon a ma­id wit­ho­ut de­lay to ta­ke me to my ro­om.
This she did and I was con­duc­ted to a char­ming ro­om on the first flo­or with win­dows which re­ac­hed from ce­iling to flo­or. It had dark walls and whi­te cur­ta­ins -which se­emed to be the mo­tif of the ho­use. It was very at­trac­ti­ve.
My bed had a be­a­uti­ful ta­pestry he­ad­pi­ece in what I re­cog­ni­zed as the Fon­ta­ineb­le­au pat­tern ne­ar-whi­te swir­ling flo­wers on a dark blue backg­ro­und. The co­ver­let was whi­te bro­de­rie ang­la­ise- char­ming and fresh. My dres­sing- tab­le was cur­ta­ined in dark blue vel­vet and it had a whi­te- ed­ged mir­ror with three si­des.
My fe­elings ro­se in spi­te of everyt­hing.
It had be­en the best thing pos­sib­le for me to co­me to Pa­ris, I was su­re, and af­ter such bru­tal hand­ling as I had suf­fe­red, af­ter such bit­ter hu­mi­li­ati­on, it was com­for­ting to be tre­ated with res­pect. My spi­rits we­re ri­sing. I was an ar­tist to be re­cog­ni­zed and ap­pre­ci­ated.
I must put that hor­rif­ying epi­so­de be­hind me and ma­ke a new start. I was lucky in the fact that I had be­en gi­ven a chan­ce to do so.
I chan­ged in­to a dress of gre­en bro­ca­de. I was pre­pa­red to li­ve in an ele­gant so­ci­ety, and alt­ho­ugh I had not bro­ught many clot­hes tho­se I had we­re all qu­ite ade­qu­ate. I had le­ar­ned so­met­hing of what the French cal­led chic du­ring my bri­ef stay in the­ir co­untry and I had, I think, be­en born with so­met­hing in com­mon with them: I lo­ved the way in which they ming­led co­lo­urs and that ele­gan­ce which co­uld ma­ke the most pla­in among wo­men lo­ok in­te­res­ting. The fact was I had ta­ken a step away from the past. I was on my way to a new li­fe and I be­li­eved that in ti­me I wo­uld for­get the Ba­ron.
I was in­te­res­ted in the ho­use and lon­ging to see my new su­bj­ects.
Already I was con­cer­ning myself with whe­re I sho­uld work and how I sho­uld ap­pro­ach the port­ra­its of the De­mo­isel­les Du­pont.
A cer­ta­in fe­eling of ela­ti­on con­ti­nu­ed thro­ug­ho­ut the eve­ning. I di­ri­ed with the fa­mily and Ma­da­me Du­pont tre­ated me as tho­ugh I we­re a per­son of con­si­de­rab­le im­por­tan­ce. I was the gre­at pa­in­ter ac­cla­imed by the Ba­ron de Gen­te­vil­le. Mon­si­e­ur Du­pont was a mild gent­le­man who se­emed in­tent on hu­mo­uring his wi­fe's wis­hes and de­fer­ring to her in every way. I dis­co­ve­red la­ter that he kept a pretty mist­ress in a lit­tle ho­use on the Left Bank and his gre­at aim was to ke­ep his wi­fe con­tent so that she did not in­ter­fe­re with this very happy ar­ran­ge­ment of his. The two da­ugh­ters, Emi­lie and Sop­hie, did not in­te­rest me gre­atly as pe­op­le, and only be­ca­use they we­re su­bj­ects did I for­ce myself to be con­cer­ned with them. They we­re se­ven­te­en and six­te­en res­pec­ti­vely on the ver­ge of be­ing bro­ught out in­to so­ci­ety- hen­ce the mi­ni­atu­res. They gig­gled a gre­at de­al and had a ha­bit of whis­pe­ring to­get­her, which I fo­und ir­ri­ta­ting and rat­her bad man­ners.
But that was no con­cern of mi­ne. I tho­ught I co­uld ma­ke re­aso­nab­le pic­tu­res of them. I wo­uld try to flat­ter them, for it was no use se­eking hid­den cha­rac­ter in tho­se va­pid lit­tle fa­ces.
I was an obj­ect of in­te­rest to the girls, who to­ok co­vert lo­oks at me thro­ug­ho­ut the me­al and met each ot­her's eyes ac­ross the tab­le con­ve­ying sec­ret mes­sa­ges. They we­re the sort of girls who ma­de you won­der whet­her you had a smut on yo­ur che­ek or so­me but­tons un­do­ne.
Madame Du­pont, ho­we­ver, do­ted on them, and I was su­re she saw them thro­ugh a ro­se-co­lo­ured ha­ze. Her gre­at aim, I so­on dis­co­ve­red, was to find su­itab­le hus­bands for them both, whi­le Mon­si­e­ur Du­pont's was to ke­ep his fa­mily oc­cu­pi­ed with each ot­her whi­le he re­ta­ined his lo­ve-nest on the Left Bank in­tact.
Madame, du­ring the me­al, in­for­med her hus­band that, in spi­te of my yo­uth, I was an ac­cla­imed pa­in­ter. One of the Col­li­sons and ever­yo­ne . but ever­yo­ne . knew of the Col­li­son mi­ni­atu­res. They we­re sa­id to be in the top gra­de of mi­ni­atu­res thro­ug­ho­ut the world. All the fa­mily had do­ne them for hund­reds of ye­ars. Wasn't that won­der­ful? I be­li­eve she tho­ught she was very as­tu­te to se­cu­re me be­fo­re my pri­ces so­ared.
She knew I was a gre­at ar­tist be­ca­use the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le had ma­de that very cle­ar to her, and ever­yo­ne knew that the Ba­ron was one of the most res­pec­ted con­no­is­se­urs in the co­untry. He even ad­vi­sed the Em­pe­ror and Euge­nie. The mi­ni­atu­re I had do­ne of the Ba­ron was qu­ite su­perb . and so was that of the Prin­ces­se de Cres­pigny.
"I am su­re tho­se of our girls will be equ­al­ly suc­ces­sful. The Ba­ron will pre­sent his to the Prin­ces­se and she will gi­ve hers to him. Is that not a char­ming ges­tu­re for af­fi­an­ced pe­op­le to exc­han­ge obj­ects of be­a­uty? A mi­ni­atu­re set in jewels- the Ba­ron's was set in di­amonds and sap­phi­res- mo­re ap­pe­aling than an exc­han­ge of rings, I think. Well, you girls will ha­ve yo­ur mi­ni­atu­res when the ti­me co­mes . "
Madame Du­pont was a gre­at tal­ker. I was glad of that. It ma­de one's own cont­ri­bu­ti­on less de­man­ding.
I was to pa­int Emi­lie first as she was the el­der, and the next mor­ning I was ta­ken to an at­tic which was fa­irly light and ga­ve me enc­han­ting vi­ews of Pa­ris. I sat Emi­lie with the light on her fa­ce. Li­ke my ot­her mo­del, the Prin­ces­se, her no­se was too lar­ge, but whe­re­as the­re had be­en cha­rac­ter in the Prin­ces­se's fa­ce, I co­uld de­tect lit­tle of that na­tu­re in my new mo­del.
She was happy tho­ugh, and that ga­ve so­met­hing ple­asant to her fa­ce.
The eyes dark brown- we­re not bad at all. Her skin was on the oli­ve si­de not easy. But I wan­ted to get that she­en of fresh­ness be­ca­use I co­uld see that Emi­lie's ma­in at­trac­ti­on was that which is gi­ven to us all at so­me ti­me: Yo­uth.
She watc­hed me mix my pa­ints.
"I ho­pe you'll ma­ke me pret­ti­er than I am," she sa­id.
"I shall try to ma­ke an at­trac­ti­ve pic­tu­re. I li­ke yo­ur dress."
It was pa­le ma­uve and su­ited her dark co­lo­uring.
"Maman cho­se it."
Trust Ma­man! Wha­te­ver el­se she was, she un­ders­to­od how to dress her­self and her da­ugh­ters.
"It's per­fect," I sa­id.
"Just talk to me ... com­for­tably ... easily ... as tho­ugh I we­re a fri­end."
"What shall I talk abo­ut?"
"About what you li­ke do­ing. Abo­ut yo­ur clot­hes ... yo­ur fri­ends .. "
She was ton­gue-ti­ed. I ima­gi­ned how she wo­uld gig­gle with her sis­ter when tel­ling her abo­ut this sit­ting.
Finally she for­got her shyness and told me how she was go­ing to be ta­ken to Co­urt. Her co­usin Fran­co­ise wo­uld be co­ming so­on and she and Fran­co­ise wo­uld be ta­ken to­get­her. Sop­hie had to wa­it anot­her ye­ar.
She was ha­ving new dres­ses ma­de and she was lo­oking for­ward to it. She wo­uld be pre­sen­ted to the Em­pe­ror and the Emp­ress Euge­nic. Then of co­ur­se the­re wo­uld be balls and she wo­uld me­et all sorts of pe­op­le. It wo­uld all be very ex­ci­ting and if she we­re a suc­cess she might be mar­ri­ed very so­on.
"And you wo­uld li­ke that?"
"It wo­uld de­pend on ..."
"On the bri­deg­ro­om," I sa­id.
"Well, na­tu­ral­ly. What sort of bri­deg­ro­om do you ho­pe for?"
"Handsome, bra­ve, nob­le and Ma­man will in­sist that he is rich."
"That's a big bill to fit. Now if you co­uld only go for one of tho­se qu­ali­ti­es, which wo­uld it be?"
She lo­oked at me in be­wil­der­ment. I co­uld see it was no use trying to int­ro­du­ce a light no­te in­to con­ver­sa­ti­on with Ma­de­mo­isel­le Emi­lie.
She sa­id: "First of all the­re's the wed­ding. That will be a big oc­ca­si­on. Sop­hie will be al­lo­wed to at­tend the re­cep­ti­on."
"Oh, what wed­ding is this?"
"The Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le and the Prin­ces­se de Cres­pigny."
"Oh," I sa­id fa­intly.
"Next we­ek ... at Not­re Da­me. The stre­ets will be crow­ded. Oh, it will be such fun."
I had be­en pro­mi­sing myself to for­get him and now it se­emed he was back as vi­vidly as ever. I co­uld not go on pa­in­ting. My hand had lost its ste­adi­ness.
I sa­id: "The light is not go­od eno­ugh. I'll ha­ve to stop."
Emilie was not­hing lo­ath. She was the sort of sit­ter who wo­uld ti­re easily.
"How is it go­ing?" she as­ked.
"Well, it is rat­her so­on yet."
"Can I see?"
"I sho­uld wa­it a day or so."
"All right. Go­odb­ye. Can you find yo­ur way to yo­ur own ro­om?"
"Oh yes, thank you very much."
She ran off to gig­gle with Sop­hie abo­ut the sit­ting and the cu­ri­o­us ways of the ar­tist, I sup­po­sed.
I went to my ro­om and sat for a long ti­me lo­oking out of my win­dow at the Pa­ris stre­et.
So next we­ek . he wo­uld be mar­ri­ed . What did that mat­ter to me?
I had cut him out of my li­fe. Po­or lit­tle Prin­ces­se! I won­de­red what Ma­rie-Cla­ude was thin­king at this mo­ment.
The mi­ni­atu­re was prog­res­sing well. It was not dif­fi­cult. Just a stro­ke of the brush to get the li­ne of the jaw. She had a he­art-sha­ped fa­ce which was rat­her ap­pe­aling. I wo­uld ac­cen­tu­ate that. The co­lo­ur of the skin bot­he­red me; but when she was ex­ci­ted the­re was a fa­int rosy tin­ge in her che­eks. I wo­uld try for that. It wor­ked won­ders and ma­de her eyes lo­ok big­ger.
Yes, I was ma­king a ple­asant pic­tu­re of Ma­de­mo­isel­le Emi­lie. I sho­uld fi­nish in go­od ti­me and then start on yo­ung Sop­hie.
I tho­ught: It is mo­ney easily ear­ned. The Ba­ron had fi­xed the pri­ce for me. He had sa­id: "Pe­op­le va­lue you as you va­lue yo­ur­self. If you char­ge too lit­tle they will con­si­der you se­cond-ra­te. Put yo­ur pri­ces high and they will be­li­eve you are worth it... even if you're not.
People al­ways li­ke to think they get what they pay for. "
Thanks to him, I co­uld be­co­me a rich and fas­hi­onab­le ar­tist with many com­mis­si­ons li­ke this.
I had wor­ked ste­adily, fe­eling the­re was no ne­ed for de­lay. I had pro­bed the na­tu­re of the lit­tle sis­ter- not that it was ne­ces­sary to dig very de­eply. So much the bet­ter. In a way it ma­de the task easi­er if not so in­te­res­ting. How dif­fe­rent it had be­en wor­king on the Ba­ron.
In him I dis­co­ve­red so­met­hing new every day.
I co­uld not get him out of my mind. I sup­po­sed it was be­ca­use he was go­ing to get mar­ri­ed so­on.
There wo­uld be no sit­ting on the wed­ding day.
It daw­ned bright and sunny. It was go­ing to be hot as the day prog­res­sed. I tho­ught of the frigh­te­ned lit­tle Prin­ces­se awa­ke­ning on this mor­ning- her last day of fre­edom. How wo­uld she fa­re with that mons­ter of ini­qu­ity? I shud­de­red to con­temp­la­te the uni­on. He wo­uld ta­ke her back to the cha­te­au, I sup­po­sed. I ima­gi­ned her-lit­tle Ma­rie Cla­ude-awa­iting him in the nup­ti­al cham­ber, all her fe­ars upon her.
For she was frigh­te­ned of him. I had dis­co­ve­red that much- and no do­ubt she had go­od re­ason to be.
The ho­use was qu­i­et. The fa­mily had go­ne to the wed­ding. The ser­vants wo­uld be out in the stre­ets be­ca­use it was so­met­hing of an oc­ca­si­on, and I ima­gi­ned crowds wo­uld be gat­he­red aro­und Not­re Da­me to see the bri­de and gro­om ar­ri­ve se­pa­ra­tely and de­part to­get­her.
And then the­re ca­me the ir­re­sis­tib­le ur­ge to go in­to the stre­ets to ming­le with the pe­op­le, to see him on­ce mo­re. Just on­ce, I told myself, and then ne­ver . ne­ver aga­in.
I put on my clo­ak and went out in­to the stre­et. I ha­iled a cab -still so­met­hing of an une­asy ad­ven­tu­re for me and I as­ked the coc­ker to ta­ke me to the Sa­in­te-Chap­pel­le. I tho­ught that wo­uld be ne­ar eno­ugh and I wo­uld walk the rest of the way.
He chat­ted to me. He re­cog­ni­zed my ac­cent at on­ce as that of a fo­re­ig­ner, as they all did. It amu­sed me to see the dif­fe­rent re­ac­ti­ons. Most we­re amu­sed in a fri­endly way, eager to help; but the­re we­re so­me who we­re a lit­tle re­sent­ful and inc­li­ned to des­pi­se one for not be­ing French. It was a com­mon trick, I knew now, to pre­tend not to un­ders­tand what I sa­id. But this one was de­ci­dedly fri­endly.
Had I be­en to see the Lo­uv­re, the Pant­he­on? I sho­uld ta­ke a cab to Mont­mart­re. I told him it was not my first vi­sit to Pa­ris and I had al­re­ady se­en a lit­tle of the city, which I fo­und fas­ci­na­ting.
He was de­ligh­ted and tal­ked in­ces­santly.
"It's a bit crow­ded down this way. The­re's this so­ci­ety wed­ding ...
That brings out the crowds. The Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le is get­ting mar­ri­ed. I think the Emp­ress will be the­re. It's the Prin­ces­se de Cres­pigny he's mar­rying."
"I had he­ard that," I told him.
"I'd ke­ep out of the way, if I we­re you. You'll see not­hing but the crowd."
I than­ked him for his ad­vi­ce, pa­id him and aligh­ted at the Sa­in­teC­ha­pel­le.
For on­ce I for­got to mar­vel that this old bu­il­ding had sto­od the­re for six hund­red ye­ars and ma­de my way in the di­rec­ti­on of Not­re Da­me.
The crowds we­re thick. I tho­ught: I was a fo­ol to ha­ve co­me. I shall see not­hing-and in any ca­se I don't want to.
But the­re I was mis­ta­ken. The­re was a sud­den hush in the crowd and then a sho­ut. I saw them in an open car­ri­age. He lo­oked mag­ni­fi­cent.
I had to ad­mit that. He was we­aring so­me uni­form of blue with gold bra­id which ma­de his ha­ir lo­ok fa­irer than I re­mem­be­red it, and on his he­ad was a coc­ked hat which might ha­ve be­en an ad­mi­ral's. I had known he was con­nec­ted with the Navy. Pro­bably an ho­no­rary post, I ima­gi­ned.
And the­re se­ated be­si­de him was Ma­rie-Cla­ude lo­oking very be­a­uti­ful in a gown of whi­te sa­tin sewn with pe­arls and a he­ad-dress of la­ces and li­li­es-of-the- val­ley.
The crowd ga­ve a che­er. I sta­red at him. He didn't see me, of co­ur­se; and if he had, what wo­uld it ha­ve mat­te­red to him?
The car­ri­age pas­sed out of sight and the crowd was dis­per­sing; and I felt a gre­at de­si­re to go in­si­de the cat­hed­ral and be qu­i­et for a whi­le. I must stop myself thin­king of them. It was no con­cern of mi­ne.
Poor lit­tle Ma­rie-Cla­ude. She had be­en for­ced in­to mar­rying him but the­re was not­hing mo­re an­yo­ne co­uld do abo­ut that.
It was stran­ge how qu­ickly the crowds had go­ne. I went to the porch and lo­oked up at the fa­ce of the de­mon . the most wic­ked of them all.
As I watc­hed, the sto­ne se­emed to chan­ge and ta­ke on the sha­pe of his fe­atu­res. It was li­ke a rep­li­ca of the dra­wing I had ma­de.
I went in­si­de and sat down. I tri­ed to su­pe­rim­po­se ot­her ima­ges on that of them sit­ting to­get­her si­de by si­de in the car­ri­age. but I co­uld not do this. The mar­ri­age of op­po­si­tes I tho­ught, and I be­li­eved the­re wo­uld be lit­tle hap­pi­ness for eit­her of them. I was not con­cer­ned for him. He de­ser­ved not­hing but re­ven­ge. But I was very sorry for the Prin­ces­se.
Stop thin­king of them! The­re was one char­ming story I had he­ard of a hund­red po­or girls to whom Lo­u­is the Six­te­enth had gi­ven a dowry on the oc­ca­si­on of the­ir mar­ri­ages as a thanks­gi­ving for the birth of his da­ugh­ter, Ma­rie The­re­se Char­lot­te. He had be­en pre­sent at the wed­ding of tho­se girls he­re in Not­re Da­me and had se­aled the­ir mar­ri­age li­cen­ces with his fle­ur-de­lis or­na­men­ted sword. A hund­red yo­ung men ad­van­cing, each gi­ving a hand to one of the wa­iting girls it must ha­ve be­en an enc­han­ting sight.
It was ra­re that the cat­hed­ral saw such char­ming events, and I im­me­di­ately tho­ught of a mo­re re­cent one when, se­venty ye­ars be­fo­re, du­ring the re­vo­lu­ti­on, the cat­hed­ral had be­en tur­ned in­to a Temp­le of Re­ason and a har­lot se­ated on a lit­ter had be­en car­ri­ed in, whi­le half na­ked wo­men and men dan­ced obs­ce­nely aro­und her in the na­me of Li­berty.
I had a sud­den de­si­re to lo­ok down on the city, every as­pect of which was of gre­at fas­ci­na­ti­on to me, and I left the dark­ness of the ex­te­ri­or and fo­und my way to the tur­ret from which one can lo­ok down.
It was si­lent as I en­te­red the dark tur­ret and star­ted to climb the sta­irs. The­re was a chill in the air. I co­un­ted the steps and when I was half­way up I tho­ught I he­ard so­me­one la­bo­uring up be­hind me. I sup­po­se that was na­tu­ral. Why sho­uld I be the only one who tho­ught it worthw­hi­le ma­king this long climb up to the sum­mit to lo­ok down on Fresh air at last! Oh, in­de­ed the vi­ew was mag­ni­fi­cent. I co­uld lo­ok right down on Pa­ris and on eit­her si­de of me we­re the north and so­uth banks. I co­uld see the Ma­ra­is be­hind the To­ur Sa­int-Jac­qu­es to the north and in the so­uth the Rue de Bi­ev­re and the Bo­ule­vard St. Mic­hel with the dist­rict which lay bet­we­en.
While I sto­od the­re I was awa­re of so­me­one be­si­de me. My he­art star­ted to ham­mer and for a mo­ment I felt as tho­ugh I was unab­le to mo­ve.
Terror se­ized me, as it had when I had sud­denly re­ali­zed the man in the blue co­at and whi­te hat was no or­di­nary coc­ker.
Then a vo­ice sa­id: "You re­mem­ber me?"
I tur­ned. I was lo­oking in­to the fa­ce of Ni­co­le St. Gi­les.
"I think I start­led you," she went on.
"Yes. I ... I tho­ught I was alo­ne up he­re."
"People don't of­ten tra­il up tho­se steps. Do you know the­re are three hund­red and ni­nety-se­ven of them?"
"It se­emed li­ke a tho­usand." Aa She la­ug­hed.
"I was so ple­ased to see you in the crowd, but you didn't see me. I saw you start up the sta­irs and I gu­es­sed you we­re co­ming to lo­ok at the vi­ew. You're at the Du­ponts' in Co­ur­cel­les, I be­li­eve?"
"Yes," I sa­id; and I tho­ught: She wo­uld know, of co­ur­se. She was at the cha­te­au when it was ar­ran­ged. How much mo­re did she know?
"I co­uldn't re­sist co­ming to see the wed­ding," she sa­id.
"Couldn't you?" I lo­oked at her se­arc­hingly. Did she ca­re very much?
She did not se­em to.
"I ho­pe it's a suc­cess," she sa­id, and I no­ti­ced she had not sa­id that she ho­ped they wo­uld be happy.
I shrug­ged my sho­ul­ders.
"I ho­pe, too, that you will co­me and see me whi­le you are in Pa­ris. I ha­ve a ho­use on the Left Bank. Let me gi­ve you a card. It's not very far from the Sor­bon­ne and ne­ar the Lu­xem­bo­urg Gar­dens. Qu­ite ple­asant."
"You li­ve the­re ... all the ti­me."
"Yes, now. All the ti­me."
I tho­ught: It is over for you then. You are just thrown asi­de.
But she se­emed very happy.
"How are the port­ra­its go­ing?"
"Quite well. I ha­ve do­ne the el­der yo­ung lady. Now I ha­ve the yo­un­ger and then the­re is a co­usin. I think it bet­ter for me to do the three be­fo­re I mo­ve on to the ho­use of Mon­si­e­ur Vil­lef­ranc­he.
"So you will be in Pa­ris for so­me ti­me yet. I think the Vil­lef­ranc­he ho­use is in the Ave­nue de 1" Al­ma just off the Champs-Elyse­es. " iqi "Yes that is so."
"You vvl^ be we^ ac­qu­a­in­ted with Pa­ris by the ti­me you ha­ve fi­nis­hed.
What shall you do af­ter the Vil­lef­ranc­he pic­tu­re? "
"Go ba-Gk to Eng­land un­less " Un­less the­re are ot­her com­mis­si­ons? I sho­uld think the­re might well be. I he­ar yo­ur na­me men­ti­oned a gre­at de­al. "
"Oh, do you?"
"Yes, with con­si­de­rab­le awe. The fact that you are a wo­man se­ems to ha­ve ad­ded a pi­qu­ancy. The Ba­ron saw to that."
I was si­lent.
"Do co­me and see me," she sa­id.
"I sho­uld lo­ve to show you my ho­use."
"Thank you." I to­ok the card and slip­ped it in­to the poc­ket of my co­at.
"I shall ex­pect you. I am re­al­ly very ple­ased that we ha­ve met aga­in."
"Thank you. Do you think it is a lit­tle chilly up he­re?"
"Yes, let's go down. Will you go first or shall I?"
I fol­lo­wed her down. I tho­ught how ele­gant she lo­oked, how se­re­ne.
But what was she re­al­ly fe­eling this dis­car­ded wo­man?
I had fi­nis­hed Sop­hie's port­ra­it and had be­gun that of Fran­co­ise when the fe­ar­ful cer­ta­inty ca­me to me. I was go­ing to ha­ve a child.
The hor­ror of this cras­hed down on me. It had be­en a fa­int black clo­ud in the sky for so­me lit­tle whi­le and then ca­me the cer­ta­inty. I sho­uld ha­ve re­ali­zed that it was highly pro­bab­le. I think I had felt that I co­uld not con­temp­la­te anyt­hing wor­se than what I had al­re­ady en­du­red and had re­fu­sed to lo­ok this pos­si­bi­lity in the fa­ce.
A child. His child! I had pro­mi­sed myself that I wo­uld for­get that hu­mi­li­ating in­ci­dent but as this had hap­pe­ned, it "I think I start­led you," she went on.
"Yes. I... I tho­ught I was alo­ne up he­re."
"People don't of­ten tra­il up tho­se steps. Do you know the­re are three hund­red and ni­nety-se­ven of them?"
"It se­emed li­ke a tho­usand."
She la­ug­hed.
"I was so ple­ased to see you in the crowd, but you didn't see me. I saw you start up the sta­irs and I gu­es­sed you we­re co­ming to lo­ok at the vi­ew. You're at the Du­ponts* in Co­ur­cel­les, I be­li­eve?"
"Yes," I sa­id; and I tho­ught: She wo­uld know, of co­ur­se. She was at the cha­te­au when it was ar­ran­ged. How much mo­re did she know? "I co­uldn't re­sist co­ming to see the wed­ding," she sa­id.
"Couldn't you?" I lo­oked at her se­arc­hingly. Did she ca­re ; very much? She did not se­em to.
"I ho­pe it's a suc­cess," she sa­id, and I no­ti­ced she had not sa­id that she ho­ped they wo­uld be happy. ;
I shrug­ged my sho­ul­ders.
"I ho­pe, too, that you will co­me and see me whi­le you are in Pa­ris. I ha­ve a ho­use on the Left Bank. Let me gi­ve you a; card. It's not very far from the Sor­bon­ne and ne­ar the^ Lu­xem­bo­urg Gar­dens. Qu­ite ple­asant. " ;
"You li­ve the­re ... all the ti­me." ;
"Yes, now. All the ti­me." S I tho­ught: It is over for you then. You are just thrown':] asi­de. ^ But she se­emed very happy. ^, "How are the port­ra­its go­ing?" j "Qu­ite well. I ha­ve do­ne the el­der yo­ung lady. Now I ha­vens the yo­un­ger and then the­re is a co­usin. I think it bet­ter for­mer to do the three be­fo­re I mo­ve on to the ho­use of Mon­si­e­ur'] Vil­lef­ranc­he. ;' " So you will be in Pa­ris for so­me ti­me yet. I think the';
Villefranche ho­use is in the Ave­nue de 1"Alma just off the Champs-Elyse­es." ^;
"Yes, that is so."
"You wu! be well ac­qu­a­in­ted with Pa­ris by the ti­me you ha­ve fi­nis­hed.
What shall you do af­ter the Vil­lef­ranc­he pic­tu­re? "
"Go back to Eng­land un­less " Un­less the­re are ot­her com­mis­si­ons? I sho­uld think the­re might well be. I he­ar yo­ur na­me men­ti­oned a gre­at de­al. "
"Oh, do you?"
"Yes, with con­si­de­rab­le awe. The fact that you are a wo­man se­ems to ha­ve ad­ded a pi­qu­ancy. The Ba­ron saw to that."
I was si­lent.
"Do co­me and see me," she sa­id.
"I sho­uld lo­ve to show you my ho­use."
"Thank you." I to­ok the card and slip­ped it in­to the poc­ket of my co­at.
"I shall ex­pect you. I am re­al­ly very ple­ased that we ha­ve met aga­in."
"Thank you. Do you think it is a lit­tle chilly up he­re?"
"Yes, let's go down. Will you go first or shall I?"
I fol­lo­wed her down. I tho­ught how ele­gant she lo­oked, how se­re­ne.
But what was she re­al­ly fe­eling- this dis­car­ded wo­man?
I had fi­nis­hed Sop­hie's port­ra­it and had be­gun that of Fran­co­ise when the fe­ar­ful cer­ta­inty ca­me to me. I was go­ing to ha­ve a child.
The hor­ror of this cras­hed down on me. It had be­en a fa­int black clo­ud in the sky for so­me lit­tle whi­le and then ca­me the ^ftsinty. I sho­uld ha­ve re­ali­zed that it was highly pro­bab­le. I think I had felt that I co­uld not con­temp­la­te anyt­hing wor­se than what I had al­re­ady en­du­red and had re­fu­sed to lo­ok this pos­si­bi­lity in the fa­ce.
A child. His child! I had pro­mi­sed myself that I wo­uld ror­ge^ (hat hu­mi­li­ating in­ci­dent but as this had hap­pe­ned, it wo­uld me­an that that ter­rib­le in­ter­lu­de wo­uld be with me for the rest of my li­fe.
It now se­emed an ine­vi­tab­le con­se­qu­en­ce. We had be­en to­get­her for three nights . three nights of in­ces­sant ra­pe, I cal­led it. And now a child . li­ving evi­den­ce of what had hap­pe­ned to me.
Had he tho­ught of this? I was su­re he had. He had tho­ught I was go­ing to marry Bert­rand and had no do­ubt con­si­de­red that it wo­uld be rat­her amu­sing for me to be­ar a child to whom Bert­rand co­uld gi­ve his na­me.
There was, ho­we­ver, to be no mar­ri­age. I had not he­ard from Bert­rand and I felt that I ne­ver wo­uld. I did not want to re­al­ly.
But now . what was I go­ing to do? I, an un­mar­ri­ed wo­man, was to be­ar a child.
I was ama­zed that I co­uld work, but I did. I co­uld throw myself who­le­he­ar­tedly in­to work and for­get everyt­hing whi­le I was thus en­ga­ged. The­re was not­hing for me but that yo­ung fa­ce which I had to pro­du­ce for im­mor­ta­lity. A hund­red ye­ars from this mo­ment pe­op­le wo­uld lo­ok at my mi­ni­atu­re ofF­ran­co­ise and know how she had lo­oked at this ti­me.
My work so­ot­hed me; in a way it re­vi­ta­li­zed me; it to­ok stra­in from my mind; it ga­ve me bles­sed for­get­ful­ness of a fu­tu­re which must be fra­ught with dif­fi­cul­ti­es.
But as so­on as I had ce­ased to work the clo­uds set­tled ro­und me.
Perhaps I had ma­de a mis­ta­ke. In my he­art I knew it was no mis­ta­ke.
Something had war­ned me when I had se­en him in the car­ri­age with Ma­rie-Cla­ude that I had not se­en the last of him.
I spent a lot of ti­me in my ro­om. So­on I sho­uld ha­ve to pass on to the ho­use of Mon­si­e­ur Vil­lef­ranc­he. Af­ter that I wo­uld go ho­me. I tri­ed to ima­gi­ne myself tel­ling my fat­her and Cla­re.
How co­uld I do that? Well-bro­ught-up yo­ung la­di­es did not sud­denly an­no­un­ce that they we­re abo­ut to gi­ve birth to a bas­tard.
I he­ard myself tel­ling my fat­her: "I was ab­duc­ted, for­ced to sub­mit to the wic­ked Ba­ron. This is the re­sult."
It so­un­ded fe­eb­le. Why had I sa­id not­hing abo­ut it un­til now? The in­fe­ren­ce wo­uld be that I had wil­lingly dal­li­ed with the Ba­ron kno­wing full well that he was bet­rot­hed to the Prin­ces­se.
"I ha­te him! I ha­te him!" I sa­id alo­ud and then la­ug­hed at myself.
What was the use of re­vi­ling him now?
But what was I go­ing to do?
Here I was on the brink of a gre­at ca­re­er and this had hap­pe­ned to me.
If it hadn't I co­uld ha­ve for­got­ten in ti­me. Per­haps I co­uld ha­ve set­tled down to a nor­mal li­fe with so­me­one el­se, alt­ho­ugh at the mo­ment I felt that to be im­pos­sib­le. He had da­ma­ged me men­tal­ly as well as physi­cal­ly, I had he­ard this co­uld hap­pen. He had ma­de me shrink from men be­ca­use if ever one ap­pro­ac­hed me I sho­uld see his fa­ce le­ering at me, lo­oking li­ke the de­mon-gar­goy­le of Not­re Da­me.
As I con­si­de­red the imp­li­ca­ti­ons of what had hap­pe­ned to me I be­gan to get frigh­te­ned. I had ti­me to pon­der, it was true. Mo­re­over, i had anot­her port­ra­it to do be­fo­re I re­tur­ned to Eng­land so had not to go im­me­di­ately. I kept won­de­ring how I co­uld tell my fat­her. He wo­uld be kindly and un­ders­tan­ding, I knew; but he wo­uld be very shoc­ked and I did not see how I co­uld stay at Col­li­son Ho­use with all the vil­la­ge kno­wing abo­ut my child.
I wal­ked a gre­at de­al du­ring tho­se days. I had plenty of ti­me to myself, and if I wor­ked all mor­ning I did not ta­ke up my brush du­ring the rest of the day. In the early af­ter­no­on I ne­ed re­la­xa­ti­on and I ne­ver felt the light was go­od eno­ugh af­ter fo­ur o'clock.
I had lost my eager in­te­rest in the city. I wo­uld walk wit­ho­ut even se­e­ing the obj­ects of be­a­uty and an­ti­qu­ity. I was conf­ron­ted all the ti­me by my own se­emingly in­so­lub­le prob­lem.
One af­ter­no­on I sat down out­si­de the Ca­fe Ang­la­is whe­re lit­tle tab­les had be­en set up un­der pink and whi­te suns­ha­des. It was get­ting a lit­tle chilly now, for we we­re well in­to Sep­tem­ber and the­re was a to­uch of autumn in the air. I won­de­red va­gu­ely how much lon­ger one wo­uld be ab­le to sit in the stre­ets and watch the pe­op­le pass by as one drank a cup of cpffee.
I was sit­ting the­re, de­ep in tho­ught, when a vo­ice cal­led out: "Why, hel­lo. It's you aga­in." It was Ni­co­le St. Gi­les.
"May I sit with you?" she went on.
"I'd li­ke a cup of cof­fee." She cal­led to the gar­con to bring it to her; then she tur­ned to me.
"You lo­ok wor­ri­ed. Isn't the pic­tu­re go­ing well?"
"Yes, the pic­tu­re is go­ing very well."
"How for­tu­na­te you are to be so gif­ted! I sup­po­se you fe­el that ha­ving this gift... well, it's a com­pen­sa­ti­on for so many things, isn't it... al­most everyt­hing?"
She was lo­oking at me ste­adily and af­ter a slight pa­use she sa­id: "Do tell me what's wrong. I'd li­ke to help if I can."
Perhaps it was the kind­li­ness in her fa­ce. Per­haps it was the gent­le­ness in her vo­ice as she to­ok my hand and pres­sed it. It might ha­ve be­en be­ca­use I was so des­pe­ra­te. In any ca­se, I clutc­hed her hand and sa­id: "I am go­ing to ha­ve a child."
She lo­oked at me in­tently and sa­id: "We can't talk he­re very well."
I sho­ok my he­ad.
"I don't know why I told you."
Her cof­fee had co­me and she stir­red it ab­sent­min­dedly.
"You told me be­ca­use you had to tell so­me­one," she sa­id.
"I'm so glad I ca­me along then. Go­me to my ho­use. The­re we can talk in com­fort.
Don't worry. I am su­re I can be of help. It's not such an unu­su­al sta­te of af­fa­irs you know. It has hap­pe­ned be­fo­re . many ti­mes.
The thing is to ke­ep a co­ol he­ad. "
Strangely eno­ugh I felt tre­men­do­usly re­li­eved, and when she had fi­nis­hed her cof­fee and the bill was pa­id she hi­red a cab and we sped away to­get­her.
The cab pul­led up in one of the stre­ets le­ading from the Bo­ule­vard St.
Michel. We we­re be­fo­re a whi­te ho­use of so­me fo­ur sto­ri­es.
"Here we are," sa­id Ni­co­le, and led the way up three steps to a do­or gu­ar­ded by li­ons. She ope­ned the do­or and we we­re in a hall of qu­ite lar­ge pro­por­ti­ons with a mo­ul­ded ce­iling which was de­ci­dedly ele­gant.
A do­or ope­ned and a man whom my know­led­ge of the city im­me­di­ately told me was a con­ci­er­ge ap­pe­ared.
He sa­id go­od day to Ma­da­me St. Gi­les and eyed me cu­ri­o­usly whi­le we pas­sed in­to a ro­om with long win­dows lo­oking out on a pa­tio in which grew pot­ted plants.
There was a grand pi­ano in one cor­ner, se­ve­ral set­te­es, com­for­tab­le-lo­oking cha­irs, and one or two tab­les; an or­mo­lu clock chi­med fo­ur on the man­tel­pi­ece over the fi­rep­la­ce and on eit­her si­de of it we­re fi­gu­ri­nes, flimsy dra­pe­ri­es co­ve­ring the­ir ana­tomy in tho­se sec­ti­ons which it wo­uld ha­ve be­en con­si­de­red, in po­li­te so­ci­ety, im­mo­dest to re­ve­al.
She cer­ta­inly had a com­for­tab­le- even lu­xu­ri­o­us ho­me.
"Do sit down," she sa­id, 'and tell me. "
I told her frankly what had hap­pe­ned. She nod­ded as I went along, and what was so com­for­ting, did not qu­es­ti­on anyt­hing but be­li­eved all I sa­id. Of co­ur­se, she knew the Ba­ron as well as an­yo­ne co­uld.
She sa­id at length: "It's not an easy si­tu­ati­on, but you can ma­na­ge."
"Manage!" I cri­ed.
"I don't know what to do. I co­uld go ho­me, I sup­po­se. Can you ima­gi­ne what it wo­uld be li­ke in a small con­fi­ned Eng­lish vil­la­ge."
"Very much what it wo­uld be li­ke in a small con­fi­ned French one," she sa­id.
"But of' co­ur­se you won't go back the­re."
"How how ... whe­re ..."
She lo­oked at me and smi­led. I had al­ways tho­ught she had a swe­et smi­le.
"Will you let me help ... ad­vi­se?"
"I am in such a sta­te of an­xi­ety that I wo­uld wel­co­me any help and ad­vi­ce."
"Don't pa­nic," she sa­id.
"Remember it is not an unu­su­al si­tu­ati­on."
"You me­an ... ra­pe ... and such con­se­qu­en­ces."
"I re­al­ly me­ant res­pec­tab­le yo­ung wo­men fin­ding them­sel­ves preg­nant.
You are for­tu­na­te. You ha­ve yo­ur work. That must be a gre­at so­la­ce.
Moreover, it is a me­ans of li­ve­li­ho­od . qu­ite a go­od li­ve­li­ho­od I ima­gi­ne. "
"It is be­co­ming so."
"And it will go on get­ting bet­ter and bet­ter. You are on the ro­ad to fa­me and for­tu­ne. This ... mat­ter ... must not in­ter­fe­re with that."
"I don't see how."
"I do. Be­ca­use you are go­ing to let me help."
"I ha­ve no idea what I... or an­yo­ne ... can do. He­re I am a stran­ger in this city. I shall work whi­le I can. Then I sup­po­se I must go ho­me.
I know my fat­her will help but it will be a gre­at shock for him. He has had one shock. His eyes . you know. "
"Yes, I do know." She le­aned to­wards me and to­uc­hed my hand bri­efly.
"Will you ... let me be yo­ur fri­end?"
I lo­oked at her in as­to­nish­ment.
"It is dif­fi­cult for me to say all I fe­el," she went on.
"You pro­bably re­gard me as lit­tle mo­re than a stran­ger. I don't fe­el we are. You know a go­od de­al abo­ut me. I know of you. And we both know the Ba­ron . in­ti­ma­tely."
"Please, I don't want to talk abo­ut that wretc­hed ex­pe­ri­en­ce."
"I un­ders­tand. Lis­ten. I am alo­ne he­re. You are in this si­tu­ati­on.
Please let me help you? "
"How co­uld you?"
"To be­gin with I co­uld talk to you. It is al­ways a go­od idea to dis­cuss the­se mat­ters, to con­si­der what is the best way of tack­ling them. I know Pa­ris very well. I wo­uld know whe­re you co­uld go to ha­ve yo­ur baby. I ha­ve this ho­use. It is lar­ge. I don't use it all. I ha­ve tho­ught of let­ting part of it. At night it se­ems so qu­i­et he­re.
Sometimes I gi­ve par­ti­es. I La­ve many ac­qu­a­in­tan­ces . pe­op­le I knew in the past. but very few re­al fri­ends. I am put­ting a pro­po­si­ti­on to you. I know I can help you. Ta­ke so­me ro­oms in this ho­use. Ma­ke one yo­ur stu­dio. You ne­ed qu­ar­ters in Pa­ris. You want pe­op­le to co­me to you to be pa­in­ted. You don't want to go to the­ir ho­uses just when they call you. You ha­ve to set yo­ur­self up as a gre­at ar­tist . act li­ke a gre­at ar­tist . li­ve li­ke one. Now this wo­uld be a go­od ad­dress for you. We are on the Left Bank. that is whe­re the in­tel­lec­tu­al pe­op­le are gat­he­ring . cle­rics, pro­fes­sors, stu­dents, ar­tists are he­re . I am tal­king too much. "
"Of co­ur­se you are not. Ple­ase go on. It is so kind of you. I co­uld see no way out of my prob­lem ... I don't know why you ta­ke so much tro­ub­le abo­ut me."
She was si­lent for a mo­ment, then she sa­id.
"In a way we are both .. vic­tims. No, I mustn't say that. It's not true."
"You me­an of the Ba­ron de Cen­te­vil­le."
"It is not fa­ir to say that I am a vic­tim. I'll exp­la­in all that to you so­me ti­me, but now let us think of you. I re­ali­ze this is all very sud­den and you want ti­me to think abo­ut it. But re­al­ly, Ka­te ... May I call you Ka­te? ... I think we are go­ing to be go­od fri­ends. You ha­ve a gre­at de­al of plan­ning to do and the so­oner you be­gin the bet­ter."
"You talk as tho­ugh everyt­hing is so simp­le."
"I wo­uldn't say that, but most things are not as dif­fi­cult as one first tho­ught if they are ap­pro­ac­hed in a sen­sib­le and re­alis­tic way."
"But I am go­ing to ha­ve a child}' "I al­ways lon­ged for child­ren," she sa­id.
"I co­uld envy you."
"This child will be the re­sult of so­met­hing I want mo­re than anyt­hing to for­get. If only I co­uld go back in ti­me. If only I had go­ne stra­ight ho­me ins­te­ad of ma­king that jo­ur­ney ..."
Again she to­uc­hed my hand.
"Don't think back. Think for­ward."
I con­temp­la­ted her ear­nest fa­ce. I was a lit­tle un­su­re as I must be of anyt­hing con­nec­ted with the Ba­ron, and I re­min­ded myself that she had be­en his mist­ress and pro­bably his con­fi­dan­te. How co­uld I be su­re that this was not so­me fresh plot?
She un­ders­to­od the trend of my tho­ughts.
"You'll want to con­si­der this very ca­re­ful­ly," she sa­id.
"Go back now. The con­ci­er­ge will get a cab for you. You ha­ve my ad­dress. Think abo­ut everyt­hing. The­re is an at­tic right on the ro­of­tops with plenty of glass. It was bu­ilt for an ar­tist. I will help you ... ha­ving the child. I can put you in to­uch with the pe­op­le you will ne­ed. You can ma­ke this yo­ur ho­me, and let me tell you that in this part of Pa­ris you are not ex­pec­ted to li­ve the con­ven­ti­onal li­fe that you wo­uld be in the Fa­ubo­urg Sa­int- Ho­no­re. You co­uld work he­re. Yo­ur pat­rons co­uld co­me to be pa­in­ted. It is a pro­po­si­ti­on. But I do un­ders­tand that you will ne­ed ti­me to de­ci­de."
"It is very grand," I sa­id.
"Should I be ab­le to af­ford it?"
"My de­ar Ka­te, you ne­ed to be grand to show how suc­ces­sful you are, and if you are suc­ces­sful you will be ab­le to af­ford it. Co­me. You ne­ed to con­temp­la­te all this. Such de­ci­si­ons sho­uld not be ma­de lightly."
"I ha­ve a gre­at de­al of thin­king to do, I know."
She nod­ded in ag­re­ement.
"Go now," she sa­id.
"You ha­ve my ad­dress. You know whe­re to find me."
"But how can I thank you."
She saw me in­to the cab.
"Remember," she sa­id.
"You are not alo­ne ... un­less you want to be. I will be yo­ur fri­end if you want me. It is for you to de­ci­de."
That en­co­un­ter chan­ged everyt­hing. I co­uld see be­fo­re me an ave­nue of es­ca­pe, ho­we­ver bi­zar­re it se­emed. I oc­cu­pi­ed myself du­ring the next few days thin­king abo­ut it. It was a mercy that whi­le I wor­ked I was ab­le to shut out everyt­hing el­se but the port­ra­it.
The mo­re I tho­ught of Ni­co­le's sug­ges­ti­on, the mo­re pos­sib­le it ap­pe­ared. It se­emed the only pos­si­bi­lity. I went to see Ni­co­le aga­in.
She was de­ligh­ted that I had co­me and I fan­ci­ed that my pre­di­ca­ment had gi­ven her a new in­te­rest in li­fe which she badly ne­eded at this ti­me.
True, I was a lit­tle sus­pi­ci­o­us. Su­rely an­yo­ne who had be­en tre­ated as I had wo­uld be. This was chi­efly be­ca­use of her past con­nec­ti­on with the Ba­ron. Ever­yo­ne who had be­en ne­ar to him co­uld be pol­lu­ted.
On my se­cond vi­sit, she sa­id: "I want you to co­me, Ka­te. I want to help you. I'm fe­eling very lo­nely .. la­tely."
"Because of... him?"
"I was with him for eight ye­ars. It's a long ti­me. You don't spe­ak. I can see that you do not un­ders­tand."
"I un­ders­tand per­fectly. We we­re both used by him. You hap­pe­ned to ag­ree and I did not."
"Yes, I sup­po­se you co­uld say that. But don't was­te yo­ur sympathy on me. I knew this wo­uld hap­pen even­tu­al­ly. He wo­uld marry and that wo­uld be the ti­me for me to di­sap­pe­ar. It was un­ders­to­od from the first."
"Do you me­an it was a sort of cont­ract?"
"Not in the usu­al un­ders­tan­ding of such a term. My mot­her was ... well, not exactly a co­ur­te­san. Shall we say a de­mi­mon­da­ine She was the mist­ress of a gre­at nob­le­man. He pro­vi­ded for her and lo­oked af­ter her when her ser­vi­ces we­re no lon­ger re­qu­ired. It was a li­fe she was bred to. So was I. I was mar­ri­ed when I was se­ven­te­en to Jac­qu­es St.
Giles.
He was a res­pec­tab­le yo­ung man who wor­ked in one of our banks. We li­ved to­get­her for a ye­ar, but it was ne­ver me­ant to last. My mot­her wan­ted me to marry. I wo­uld then ha­ve a right to call myself Ma­da­me which, she al­ways sa­id, gent­le­men pre­fer­red to Ma­de­mo­isel­le. A yo­ung girl co­uld ma­ke de­mands which a mar­ri­ed wo­man co­uld not so mar­ri­age ma­de the si­tu­ati­on so much mo­re com­for­tab­le. "
"It all se­ems rat­her cyni­cal."
"Call it re­alis­tic. Then I was int­ro­du­ced to the Ba­ron by my mot­her, who ho­ped that I wo­uld ple­ase him. I did. I had be­en well edu­ca­ted, bro­ught up to ap­pre­ci­ate art and to be what is cal­led a cul­ti­va­ted wo­man. I was ta­ught how to carry myself, how to dress, how to con­ver­se with gra­ce. That was the the­me of my edu­ca­ti­on ... to ple­ase. Well, it is what I did. And he­re I am. Thirty ye­ars of age, with my own ho­use and a com­for­tab­le set­tle­ment. I ne­ed ne­ver work aga­in as long as I li­ve. You might say I was bro­ught up in a re­war­ding pro­fes­si­on, one which brings go­od re­turns and se­cu­rity. Bet­ter, I was al­ways ta­ught, than be­co­ming a drud­ge and mot­her of many child­ren. Do you un­ders­tand?"
"I still think it very mer­ce­nary and, I must con­fess, im­mo­ral."
"Oh, you will ne­ver un­ders­tand. I don't sup­po­se this sort of thing wo­uld hap­pen in Eng­land. It's part of French li­fe the li­fe of the de­mi­mon­da­ine I was born in­to it. I fo­und a ge­ne­ro­us lo­ver ... and he­re I am. I see you are mo­re than a lit­tle shoc­ked. Ple­ase don't be and don't be sorry for me. It was a very ple­asant li­fe."
"With that man!"
"Let me tell you I be­ca­me qu­ite fond of him. I be­gan to le­arn so­met­hing abo­ut him."
"And that ma­de you fond of him?"
"It ma­de me see why he was the man he was."
"And you co­uld re­al­ly be fond of such a man?"
"Kate, what he did to you was un­for­gi­vab­le. Don't think I don't re­ali­ze that. If it had hap­pe­ned to me . and I had be­en li­ke you . I sho­uld ha­ve felt the sa­me. "
"It was monst­ro­us," I sa­id fi­er­cely.
"It is tre­ating pe­op­le abo­ut him as tho­ugh they are of no im­por­tan­ce be­yond the use they can be to him.
It is pic­king them up . exp­lo­iting them . and then thro­wing them asi­de. "
"I know. It was his upb­rin­ging. His fat­her and his grand­fat­her we­re li­ke that. He was bro­ught up to be­li­eve that that was the way men such as they we­re be­ha­ved."
"It is ti­me so­me­one ta­ught them dif­fe­rently."
"No one will ever do that. You see how it is now. A word from the Ba­ron and-ever­yo­ne ac­cla­ims you. He has po­wer ... even in the­se days he has it."
"You me­an mo­ney! Po­si­ti­on!"
"Yes, but mo­re than that. It is so­met­hing in his per­so­na­lity. If you co­uld un­ders­tand you wo­uld re­ali­ze why he is the way he is."
"I don't ca­re why. It is be­ca­use he is that way that he mad­dens me. He sho­uld be pu­nis­hed, ta­ken to law."
"Would you be pre­pa­red to go to law, to ac­cu­se him of ra­pe? Wo­uld you stand up in a co­urt? Think of the qu­es­ti­ons they wo­uld ask. Why did you not comp­la­in at the ti­me? That is what they wo­uld ask. You wo­uld hurt yo­ur­self mo­re than you co­uld hurt him. Be prac­ti­cal. Don't go on bro­oding on what has hap­pe­ned. Think of what you are go­ing to do now."
I sa­id: "I shall so­on ha­ve fi­nis­hed Fran­co­ise's port­ra­it. The­re is to be a ball. The mi­ni­atu­res will be shown the­re."
"What the Ba­ron do­es to­day the world do­es to­mor­row. Ma­da­me Du­pont is sla­vishly cop­ying the style he sets. Ne­ver mind. It's all to the go­od.
It may well bring in fresh bu­si­ness. From that ball I'll swe­ar you get two mo­re de­fi­ni­te com­mis­si­ons at le­ast and per­haps many mo­re. "
"After that I le­ave for the ho­use of Mon­si­e­ur Vil­lef­ranc­he for his wi­fe's pic­tu­re."
"And then?"
"I sho­uld go ho­me and see my fat­her."
"And tell him?"
"I don't know whet­her I co­uld do that. Per­haps when I co­me fa­ce to fa­ce with him I shall know whet­her or not I can tell him."
"And if you co­uld not?"
I tur­ned to her.
"You ha­ve be­en so kind to me .. : so help­ful."
"I ho­pe I shall be yo­ur fri­end."
"I can tell you that sin­ce our me­eting I ha­ve felt so much bet­ter. You ha­ve ma­de me re­ali­ze that I ha­ve to stop lo­oking back. I ha­ve to plan.
I am af­ra­id I shall ha­te this child. "
She sho­ok her he­ad.
"Women li­ke you ne­ver ha­te the­ir child­ren. As so­on as this baby ar­ri­ves you will lo­ve it and for­get the way it ca­me."
"If it sho­uld lo­ok li­ke him ..."
"I will ma­ke a wa­ger. You will lo­ve this child mo­re be­ca­use of the prob­lems of its birth."
"You are a very worldly wo­man, Ni­co­le," I sa­id.
She smi­led at me and sa­id softly: "It is the best way to sur­vi­ve."
Madame Du­pont ga­ve her ball, which was to la­unch Emi­lie in­to so­ci­ety.
There we­re many gu­ests and I was tre­ated with gre­at res­pect. My work was ad­mi­red and Ni­co­le was right. Two pe­op­le ga­ve me de­fi­ni­te in­vi­ta­ti­ons to vi­sit the­ir ho­uses and pa­int port­ra­its.
I was ef­fu­si­vely comp­li­men­ted on the mi­ni­atu­res. Ma­da­me Du­pont had had them set in fra­mes em­bel­lis­hed with di­amonds and ru­bi­es. She co­uld hardly copy the Ba­ron so bla­tantly as to cho­ose sap­phi­res, but I felt su­re she wo­uld ha­ve li­ked to.
However, it was very sa­tis­fac­tory and I co­uld see that I was re­al­ly be­ing pro­j­ec­ted in­to a suc­ces­sful ca­re­er.
How gra­tif­ying it wo­uld ha­ve be­en but for the part the Ba­ron had pla­yed in my li­fe. if only I had ne­ver met him! But then all this wo­uld not ha­ve hap­pe­ned if I had not.
I was me­eting Ni­co­le re­gu­larly and get­ting to li­ke her mo­re and mo­re.
She was frank abo­ut her­self. She told me she was lo­nely and wan­ted fri­ends­hip. Per­haps she felt a lit­tle re­sent­ful abo­ut be­ing cast off by the Ba­ron (altho­ugh she al­ways in­sis­ted that he was not to bla­me and that the po­si­ti­on had be­en un­ders­to­od from the first), per­haps she felt that we who had both known him wo­uld un­ders­tand each ot­her; ho­we­ver, the fri­ends­hip bet­we­en us no­uris­hed, and the mo­re I tho­ught of her pro­po­si­ti­on the mo­re it se­emed that it was the only ro­ad open to me.
I left the Du­ponts and went to the Vil­lef­ranc­he ho­use. Ma­da­me Vil­lef­ranc­he was a pretty lit­tle wo­man with a happy tem­pe­ra­ment and very con­ten­ted with her lot. She ga­ve me lit­tle dif­fi­culty and I was ab­le to pro­du­ce a very be­a­uti­ful pic­tu­re ot­her.
I was fe­eling mo­re calm now and no lon­ger awo­ke in a clo­ud of hor­ror.
Nicole had con­vin­ced me that with a lit­tle ca­re­ful plan­ning, I co­uld co­me thro­ugh the or­de­al which lay be­fo­re me. Mo­re­over, I was be­gin­ning to fe­el so­met­hing for the child, and I re­ali­zed that if I we­re to dis­co­ver it we­re all a mis­ta­ke af­ter all, my fe­elings wo­uld be very mi­xed.
Nicole was right. I sho­uld lo­ve the child when it ca­me, and the tho­ught of its co­ming ga­ve me a stran­ge sen­se of ful­fil­ment.
By the ti­me I had fi­nis­hed the Vil­lef­ranc­he port­ra­it I had ma­de up my mind that I wo­uld go to see my fat­her im­me­di­ately. I wo­uld stay at ho­me for a we­ek and then co­me back to carry out my next com­mis­si­on.
During that ti­me I wo­uld de­fi­ni­tely de­ci­de what I was go­ing to do.
Nicole sa­id that was a wi­se pro­ce­du­re.
It was the be­gin­ning of Oc­to­ber when I went back. I felt emo­ti­onal as the tra­in car­ri­ed me ac­ross the Ken­tish co­untry. I no­ti­ced that the hops had be­en gat­he­red in. They wo­uld be sto­ring them in the oast ho­uses scat­te­red ac­ross this part of the co­untry; and now was the ti­me for the fru­it to be gat­he­red in.
Ladders we­re prop­ped aga­inst the tre­es and rosy ap­ples and rus­sety pe­ars we­re be­ing pac­ked in­to bas­kets.
Home! I tho­ught. I shall miss it. But it is not so very far away. I can co­me back so­me­ti­mes. Ni­co­le will think of so­met­hing.
So much wo­uld de­pend on what hap­pe­ned wit­hin the next we­ek. If I co­uld bring myself to tell my fat­her, he might ha­ve so­me plan. Per­haps he and I co­uld go away to­get­her. No, that wo­uld not do. Be­si­des, how co­uld we li­ve? I knew he had sa­ved eno­ugh to li­ve on in a mo­dest way, but that wo­uld not inc­lu­de tra­vel­ling and how co­uld he li­ve away from Col­li­son Ho­use, and how co­uld I li­ve the­re with my child? It wo­uld be in the minds of ever­yo­ne in the vil­la­ge even if they we­re kind as I knew my fri­ends wo­uld be that my child was a bas­tard.
A warm wel­co­me was awa­iting me. How com­for­tab­le it was! Mo­re ho­mely than in Evie's day. A lit­tle un­tidy per­haps, but I co­uld only re­pe­at myself ho­mely. That was Cla­re's inf­lu­en­ce.
She ca­me out with my fat­her when I ar­ri­ved and they both hug­ged me tightly.
"It is won­der­ful to see you," sa­id my fat­her, and Cla­re ec­ho­ed:
"Wonderful, won­der­ful. Yo­ur ro­om is all re­ady. I ha­ve ma­de su­re the bed has had a go­od airing."
"Clare is al­ways fus­sing abo­ut airing." sa­id my fat­her fondly.
"She cod­dles us, in fact."
Clare tri­ed to lo­ok se­ve­re, which was im­pos­sib­le.
"It is so­met­hing I in­sist on," she sa­id.
I felt mo­re gra­te­ful to her than ever. Ha­ving so­me­one li­ke Cla­re to lo­ok af­ter everyt­hing at Col­li­son Ho­use ma­de my de­ci­si­on so much easi­er.
My fat­her wan­ted to know all that had hap­pe­ned. I told him abo­ut the port­ra­its I had do­ne and the new com­mis­si­ons I had. , He was comp­le­tely de­ligh­ted.
"Splendid! Splen­did!" he cri­ed.
"It's li­ke a mi­rac­le. Who wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught on the day we re­ce­ived that let­ter from Fran­ce all this wo­uld grow out of it."
Who in­de­ed? I tho­ught. And if only he knew what had grown out of it!
"It's the most won­der­ful thing that co­uld ha­ve hap­pe­ned to you, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"But for this you wo­uld ha­ve sta­yed he­re with me. No­body wo­uld ha­ve gi­ven you cre­dit for the work for ye­ars. It's chan­ged you, Ka­te. You even lo­ok dif­fe­rent."
"How dif­fe­rent?" I as­ked.
"Ready to fa­ce the world. Re­ady to ta­ke all it of­fers you."
"Can you see a dif­fe­ren­ce then?"
"I know you so well, my de­ar. You now lo­ok and talk li­ke the as­su­red ar­tist you are .. I wish I co­uld ha­ve se­en tho­se port­ra­its."
"I knew they we­re go­od," I sa­id.
"You ha­ve be­en do­ing fi­ne work for a long ti­me now."
"And what of you, Fat­her? What ha­ve you be­en do­ing?"
"I do a lit­tle pa­in­ting. I ha­ve ta­ken up lands­ca­pes and can ma­na­ge qu­ite well. One do­esn't ha­ve to pro­du­ce exactly what one se­es. If you miss so­met­hing you say, " That's art. This is not cop­ying"."
"And you enj­oy this lands­ca­pe pa­in­ting? I must see so­me of it."
"Well, we ha­ve plenty of ti­me for that."
"I ha­ve only a we­ek, you know. Then I must go back. I've pro­mi­sed."
"Yes, yes, of co­ur­se. You ha­ve to pa­int as many mi­ni­atu­res as you can whi­le this fas­hi­on for you lasts."
"Do you think it is just a fas­hi­on?"
"It may not be. In fact I think you're too go­od for that.
Let's say it be­gan as a fas­hi­on be­ca­use of the glo­wing com­ments of a man who­se opi­ni­on is res­pec­ted in art circ­les . and in so­ci­ety. "
"I ha­ve to ma­ke it mo­re than that, Fat­her."
"You are do­ing so. As I sa­id: Do as much as you can now. I am glad you fo­und ti­me to co­me and see me."
Now was the ti­me to tell him. He lo­oked al­most con­ten­ted. He had co­me to terms with his di­sa­bi­lity; he was fin­ding sa­tis­fac­ti­on in his lands­ca­pes. He wo­uld not be ab­le to con­ti­nue in­de­fi­ni­tely with them, of co­ur­se, but they we­re for­ming a ple­asant brid­ge for him. He was not go­ing to be ca­ta­pul­ted in­to blind­ness wit­ho­ut ha­ving ti­me to pre­pa­re for it. And I knew that my suc­cess had be­en the gre­atest help of all in this sad mat­ter. He co­uld be­ar his own di­sa­bi­lity whi­le he co­uld think of my car­rying on the fa­mily tra­di­ti­on.
I tho­ught in that mo­ment: "No, I can­not tell him. I ha­ve to play it Ni­co­le's way.
"There is so­met­hing I want to talk to you abo­ut, Fat­her," I sa­id.
"Do you re­mem­ber Ni­co­le St. Gi­les?"
"Wasn't she a fri­end of the Ba­ron?"
"Yes. He's mar­ri­ed now. He mar­ri­ed the Prin­ces­se. I saw so­met­hing of the wed­ding. But I wan­ted to talk to you abo­ut Ni­co­le. She is a very sop­his­ti­ca­ted wo­man and has a lar­gish ho­use on the Left Bank. I ha­ve be­co­me qu­ite fri­endly with her."
"A very ple­asant wo­man, as I re­mem­ber."
"She is very ple­asant. She has sug­ges­ted that it wo­uld be bet­ter for my ca­re­er if I to­ok a pla­ce of my own in Pa­ris ... as that is whe­re the work is. Her own ho­use is too big for her and she has of­fe­red to let me part of it."
He was si­lent for a few mo­ments. I felt my he­art be­at une­asily. I tho­ught: He do­esn't li­ke it. But the clo­ud pas­sed. He sa­id: "You ha­ve to plan yo­ur ca­re­er very ca­re­ful­ly, Ka­te. You're han­di­cap­ped by be­ing a wo­man. I've al­ways tho­ught that was fo­olish ... fo­olish and un­worthy. A go­od pa­in­ting is a go­od pa­in­ting, who­ever do­es it. You wo­uld li­ve the­re on yo­ur own, Ka­te?"
"Well, Ma­da­me St. Gi­les wo­uld be in the ho­use ... a sort of cha­pe­ro­ne."
"I see."
"Sharing the ho­use is her idea. The­re's an at­tic which co­uld be tur­ned in­to a stu­dio and a mag­ni­fi­cent ro­om whe­re I co­uld en­ter­ta­in cli­ents.
Madame St. Gi­les knows many pe­op­le and it is her opi­ni­on that if I just carry out com­mis­si­ons that co­me in the way they ha­ve so far the­re will be a ti­me when I shall run short of them. I sho­uld then re­turn to Eng­land . and obs­cu­rity. "
He lap­sed aga­in in­to si­len­ce for a few se­conds. Then he sa­id slowly:
"I think she may be right. It's a bit of a ven­tu­re. And, Ka­te, re­mem­ber, if it do­esn't work you can al­ways co­me ho­me."
I put my arms ro­und him and held him clo­se to me. How I ha­ted de­ce­iving him! But I simply co­uld not tell him that I was go­ing to ha­ve a child. He was hap­pi­er now than he had be­en sin­ce the fe­ar­ful dis­co­very. He was se­eking so many com­pen­sa­ti­ons. Be­ca­use he had lost his ke­en vi­si­on I was ta­king on the fa­mily mant­le. I was be­ing gi­ven my chan­ce which he re­ali­zed I might ne­ver ha­ve had. Evie had go­ne and at the ti­me that had se­emed a ca­la­mity but lo, he­re was Cla­re, to bring a war­mer at­mosp­he­re in­to the ho­use.
He was happy as things we­re and I had ma­de my de­ci­si­on.
It was mo­ving to see how ple­ased they all we­re to ha­ve me ho­me and yet in a way it ga­ve me an une­asy qu­alm to think of what I had to do. Mrs.
Baines had ma­de the usu­al ste­ak pud­ding, and as I knew the amo­unt I ate wo­uld be re­por­ted, I did my best.
I had to he­ar what was go­ing on in the vil­la­ge.
Clare knew a gre­at de­al abo­ut vil­la­ge li­fe. She had thrown her­self in­to it so who­le­he­ar­tedly. De­ar Cla­re, I sen­sed her de­light in ha­ving be­co­me part of a fa­mily, part of a com LO­VER mu­nity. She must ha­ve be­en very lo­nely be­fo­re co­ming to us.
Dick Me­adows was fully qu­ali­fi­ed now and the­re was a new cu­ra­te at the vi­ca­ra­ge. Dick was do­ing a stint as cu­ra­te so­mew­he­re in the Mid­lands and Fran­ces was still ke­eping ho­use for her fat­her.
"Poor Fran­ces," sa­id Cla­re with fe­eling, 'that will be her li­fe. "
Her eyes fil­led with te­ars of com­pas­si­on. She was, I knew, thin­king of what Fran­ces's li­fe wo­uld be . lo­oking af­ter her fat­her un­til she was mid­dle-aged, and when he di­ed it wo­uld be too la­te for her to ha­ve a li­fe ot­her own. A fa­te which be­fell many da­ugh­ters and co­uld ha­ve be­en Cla­re's own.
"And what of the twins?" I as­ked.
There was si­len­ce. I lo­oked from my fat­her to Cla­re.
"There was a tra­gedy," sa­id my fat­her.
"Poor Fa­ith."
"A tra­gedy!"
Clare sho­ok her he­ad and tur­ned ap­pe­alingly to my fat­her.
"You tell her," she beg­ged.
"It up­set Cla­re very much," sa­id my fat­her.
"She was one of the last pe­op­le to see her ali­ve."
"You me­an Fa­ith Cam­bor­ne is de­ad?"
"It was an ac­ci­dent," my fat­her exp­la­ined.
"You know Brac­ken's Le­ap."
Indeed I knew Brac­ken's Le­ap. It was al­ways for­bid­den to me when I was yo­ung.
"Don't go ne­ar the Le­ap!" I co­uld he­ar tho­se words now. They had be­en used so of­ten, Brac­ken's Le­ap was that spot whe­re the ro­ad wo­und up­wards to a high he­ad­land. It ro­se stark up from the val­ley be­low.
Someone had com­mit­ted su­ici­de the­re two hund­red ye­ars be­fo­re, and I had ne­ver known whet­her he had be­en na­med Brac­ken or whet­her it was so cal­led be­ca­use of the brac­ken which grew the­re.
"You me­an Fa­ith Cam­bor­ne ..."
"She fell," sa­id my fat­her.
"We don't know exactly whet­her it was an ac­ci­dent... or su­ici­de."
Q
"You me­an so­me­one may ha­ve ..."
"Oh, no, no, no! Whet­her she did it her­self or slip­ped and lost her ba­lan­ce ..."
"But she wo­uld ne­ver kill her­self. She was such a ti­mid cre­atu­re. Oh de­ar, what an aw­ful thing. Po­or Fa­ith! It is ter­rib­le when so­met­hing li­ke that hap­pens to so­me­one you ha­ve known."
I kept se­e­ing Fa­ith and I co­uldn't see Fa­ith wit­ho­ut Ho­pe. They we­re al­ways to­get­her. Fa­ith clin­ging to her twin as tho­ugh her li­fe de­pen­ded on that sup­port. Po­or, po­or Fa­ith.
Clare was cle­arly too over­co­me for spe­ech. I re­mem­be­red how fri­endly she had al­ways be­en with the twins.
"It's dan­ge­ro­us up the­re," my fat­her went on.
"They've fen­ced it off now."
"Rather li­ke shut­ting the stab­le do­or when the hor­se has run away," I com­men­ted.
"Oh po­or Fa­ith! What abo­ut Ho­pe and the doc­tor and his wi­fe?"
"Very cut up ... all of them. It's a go­od thing that Ho­pe is get­ting mar­ri­ed and go­ing away."
"Do you think that Fa­ith ... Do you think it was be­ca­use of Ho­pe's en­ga­ge­ment?"
"We don't know," rep­li­ed my fat­her.
"The ver­dict was ac­ci­den­tal de­ath.
It's bet­ter to le­ave it li­ke that for every­body's sa­ke. "
I nod­ded.
Clare was qu­i­etly crying.
I le­aned over and to­uc­hed her hands. She tur­ned her swim­ming eyes to me.
"She was my spe­ci­al fri­end," she sa­id.
"They both we­re ... but I think Fa­ith spe­ci­al­ly ... mo­re than Ho­pe. It was ter­rib­le."
There was si­len­ce at the tab­le. Then my fat­her sa­id: "I won­der what she wo­uld ha­ve do­ne when Ho­pe mar­ri­ed."
"Poor Fa­ith," sa­id Cla­re, 'she wo­uld ha­ve be­en lost wit­ho­ut her sis­ter.
"
My fat­her so­ught to chan­ge the su­bj­ect which so cle­arly up­set Cla­re.
He sa­id: "Ka­te has had a won­der­ful of­fer. So­me­one she met in Pa­ris has of­fe­red to rent her an apart­ment in the he­art of Pa­ris.
There is a stu­dio and everyt­hing that is ne­ces­sary for her work. She can ta­ke it for a whi­le and see how things work out. Com­mis­si­ons at the mo­ment are rol­ling in. "
Clare was smi­ling at me.
"Oh, Ka­te. I'm so happy for you. It is won­der­ful how everyt­hing is tur­ning out for you. I lo­ve to he­ar abo­ut that party when that ... what was he ... Ba­ron or so­me­one .. told them all what a gre­at ar­tist you are."
"It's not mo­re than she de­ser­ves," sa­id my fat­her.
"How will you li­ke li­ving in a fo­re­ign city ... away from ever­yo­ne?" as­ked Cla­re.
"I shall miss you all," I told her.
"But I shall co­me ho­me when I can.
And it se­ems to me the right. the only thing . to do. "
"Let's drink to Ka­te's suc­cess," sa­id Cla­re.
The te­ars for Fa­ith we­re still in her eyes as she lif­ted her glass.
I of­ten tho­ught how much I owed to Ni­co­le.
She was prac­ti­cal in the ext­re­me and as so­on as I re­tur­ned to Pa­ris to the ho­use of the Reg­ni­ers my next com­mis­si­on- I went to see her.
"Well?" she sa­id.
But I didn't ha­ve to tell her. She knew. She put her arms ro­und me and held me clo­se to her for a mo­ment.
Then she sa­id: "Now we start to plan."
After that I saw her al­most every day. The­re was so much to talk abo­ut, so much to ar­ran­ge. It was im­me­di­ately de­ci­ded that the at­tic sho­uld be my stu­dio, and that I sho­uld ha­ve a ro­om in which to re­ce­ive pe­op­le and dis­cuss ap­po­int­ments and terms. We sho­uld sha­re the sa­lon and I sho­uld ha­ve a bed­ro­om next to the at­tic.

I I

"There is a su­ite of ro­oms up the­re," she sa­id, 'and you can ha­ve tho­se when the baby ar­ri­ves. They'll be su­itab­le for the first few months any­way . un­til the child be­gins to walk. "
She had wor­ked out everyt­hing. I must, of co­ur­se, re­ma­in Ka­te Col­li­son. But ins­te­ad of be­ing Ma­de­mo­isel­le I sho­uld be­co­me Ma­da­me. We co­uld ha­ve a va­gue story in the backg­ro­und abo­ut a hus­band who had un­for­tu­na­tely di­ed.
"The tra­gedy is fa­irly re­cent," she exp­la­ined, 'so we do not wish to dis­cuss it. It is too pa­in­ful. You re­ta­ined the na­me of Col­li­son be­ca­use it me­ans a gre­at de­al in the art world and you are car­rying on the fa­mily tra­di­ti­on. " She pa­used and then went on: " As so­on as the pre­sent com­mis­si­ons are comp­le­ted you will ex­pect cli­ents to co­me to the stu­dio to be pa­in­ted. In the me­an­ti­me we will pre­pa­re it and ma­ke su­re it is all that it sho­uld be to ac­com­mo­da­te a fas­hi­onab­le and fa­mo­us ar­tist. You can go on pa­in­ting right un­til the last month, I sho­uld think. In any ca­se we can see abo­ut that when the ti­me co­mes.
I shall en­ga­ge a mid­wi­fe who I know is ef­fi­ci­ent in her job and do­es in fact at­tend the no­bi­lity. In the me­an­ti­me we shall pre­pa­re for this in­fant. We shall ha­ve everyt­hing of the best for it.
Leave that to me. "
"I want to be ca­re­ful with mo­ney," I in­sis­ted.
"I know I am highly pa­id now and I ha­ve sa­ved qu­ite a bit. But I ha­ve the fu­tu­re to think of."
"The fu­tu­re is as­su­red if you will let it be. You ha­ve to act li­ke a gre­at ar­tist. That is of the ut­most im­por­tan­ce. Mo­ney af­fa­irs are mun­da­ne mat­ters. They sho­uld not con­cern you over­much. You are de­eply in­te­res­ted only in art. I think we are get­ting everyt­hing ar­ran­ged ni­cely. All we ha­ve to do now is to awa­it the birth and in the me­an­ti­me go on pa­in­ting and pi­ling up the she­kels."
"Nicole," I sa­id one day, 'why are you do­ing all this for me? "
She was si­lent for a mo­ment. Then she sa­id: "Fri­ends­hip." And af­ter anot­her pa­use: "I'm do­ing it for myself in a way. I was lo­nely. The days se­emed so long. They don't any mo­re. I al­ways wan­ted child­ren. "
"Do you me­an ... his ... ?"
"Well," she sa­id, 'it wo­uldn't ha­ve be­en pos­sib­le. He didn't want a wi­fe then. He wan­ted a mist­ress. "
"And, of co­ur­se, he tho­ught only of him­self, as al­ways."
"I ne­ver told him I wan­ted child­ren."
"He might ha­ve gu­es­sed that any wo­man wo­uld."
"Not my sort of wo­man."
"How can you talk of sorts of wo­men! They are all in­di­vi­du­als ... no two ali­ke."
"No, per­haps not. But we can be ro­ughly sor­ted in­to types. I me­an, the wo­men who cho­ose the way of li­fe I cho­se do not usu­al­ly want child­ren."
"That way of li­fe was cho­sen for you."
"Well, most of us ha­ve so­met­hing cho­sen for us. It is the bold ones who bre­ak away. No. I must be fa­ir. I ac­cep­ted that way of li­fe be­ca­use it was amu­sing and in­te­res­ting. I had tri­ed res­pec­ta­bi­lity, hadn't I, and I knew it wasn't for me."
"Nicole, I fancy I'm gro­wing up fast, thro­ugh you."
"I'm glad to be of help and what I wan­ted to say is that it is no use bla­ming an­yo­ne for what we are. It's in our hands." '"Not in our stars but in our­sel­ves ..." I qu­oted.
"Oh yes, I see that."
"And we sho­uld be le­ni­ent in our jud­ge­ment of ot­hers." She lo­oked at me al­most ap­pe­alingly.
"The way in which we are bro­ught up do­es af­fect our li­ves. You see, in my ca­se, I was ma­de to see a gre­at de­al that was de­si­rab­le in pan­de­ring to the ple­asu­re of so­me­one who co­uld gi­ve me a se­cu­re fu­tu­re. It's li­ke many pe­op­le's ap­pro­ach to mar­ri­age in a way. Think of all tho­se fond Mam­mas pa­ra­ding the­ir da­ugh­ters for the hig­hest bid­der, one might say. It was the sa­me with me. Mo­re ho­nest in a way. I had to gi­ve mo­re in re­turn for what I re­ce­ived. I had to con­ti­nue to ple­ase." She la­ug­hed at me.
"It so­unds im­mo­ral, do­esn't it, to one who has be­en bro­ught up

I 3

carefully in a ple­asant ho­use­hold. But you see, he­re­dity and upb­rin­ging ha­ve ma­de you a pa­in­ter; the sa­me thing has ma­de me a co­ur­te­san. "
"They ma­de you cle­ver, un­ders­tan­ding and kind, and I'm gra­te­ful to you, Ni­co­le. In fact, I don't know what I sho­uld ha­ve do­ne wit­ho­ut you."
"Well, it is not all for you. I was lo­nely. I wan­ted an in­te­rest. Oh Ka­te, I am lo­oking for­ward to our baby."
"Nicole, so am I. So am I!"
On anot­her oc­ca­si­on she sa­id: "You don't fe­el so ve­he­ment abo­ut him now, do you?"
She nod­ded.
"I ha­te him as in­ten­sely as ever."
"You mustn't."
"I co­uldn't stop myself if I tri­ed. I shall al­ways ha­te him."
"You sho­uldn't. It might be bad for the child. He is the fat­her, re­mem­ber."
"I wish I co­uld for­get that."
"Try to un­ders­tand him."
"Understand him! I un­ders­tand him too well. He's a throw-back to the age of bar­ba­rism. He has no pla­ce in a ci­vi­li­zed world."
"He used to talk to me abo­ut his child­ho­od so­me­ti­mes."
"I am su­re he was the most hor­rib­le child who tor­tu­red lit­tle ani­mals and to­re the wings off fli­es."
"No, he did not. He was fond of ani­mals. He lo­ves his dogs and hor­ses."
"Was it re­al­ly pos­sib­le for him to lo­ve anyt­hing be­si­des him­self?"
"Now you are wor­king yo­ur­self up and as I told you that's bad for the child."
"Anything con­nec­ted with him is bad for ever­yo­ne ne­ar him."
"But he is the child's fat­her."
"For He­aven's sa­ke, Ni­co­le, don't ke­ep re­min­ding me of that."
"I want you to see him in a new light. You must un­ders­tand what sort of man his fat­her was."
"Just li­ke him, I sho­uld ima­gi­ne."
"He was the only son. Everyt­hing was con­cent­ra­ted on him."
"He li­ked that, I am su­re."
"No. It me­ant that he was al­ways un­der ob­ser­va­ti­on ... he was bro­ught up in a way which ma­de him what he is. He had to ex­cel at everyt­hing.
He was cons­tantly ma­de awa­re of his an­cestry. "
"Those sa­va­ge ma­ra­uding Nor­mans who ra­ided the co­asts of pe­ace­ful pe­op­le, sto­le the­ir go­ods and ra­ped the­ir wo­men. I can well be­li­eve that."
"A child is bro­ught up li­ke that ... for­ced to ex­cel in all manly sports, ta­ught to be a sto­ic, ta­ught the im­por­tan­ce of po­wer, bro­ught up to see his fa­mily as the gre­atest in the world. He has even be­en na­med af­ter one of them. Rol­lo- ap­pa­rently was the first le­ader who ca­me to Nor­mandy."
"Yes, I know. He ra­ided the co­ast and so ha­ras­sed the French that to ke­ep the in­va­ders qu­i­et they ga­ve them a part of the­ir co­untry which was cal­led Nor­mandy. He was very an­xi­o­us to tell me at the very be­gin­ning of our di­sast­ro­us ac­qu­a­in­tan­ce that he was not French. He was Nor­man. I think he re­al­ly be­li­eved he was back in tho­se dark ages.
He cer­ta­inly be­ha­ved as tho­ugh he we­re. "
"Yet in spi­te of this the­re was a cer­ta­in sen­si­ti­vity."
"Sensitivity!"
"This lo­ve of art. I'll tell you so­met­hing el­se: he wan­ted to be an ar­tist. You can ima­gi­ne the storm in the Cen­te­vil­le camp when that was dis­co­ve­red. The­re had ne­ver be­en an ar­tist in the fa­mily. They we­re all ho­ary war­ri­ors. That was stam­ped on at on­ce."
"I am surp­ri­sed he al­lo­wed that to be."
"He didn't, did he? He be­ca­me both ... and be­ca­use his ef­forts we­re di­vi­ded he wasn't en­ti­rely suc­ces­sful at eit­her."
"What do you me­an?"
"He is not a pa­in­ter but I ha­ve he­ard it sa­id that the­re is not a man in Fran­ce who knows mo­re abo­ut pa­in­ting. He is ruth­less, up­hol­ding his po­wer and yet he has a sen­ti­men­tal stre­ak which is qu­ite ali­en to everyt­hing el­se abo­ut him."
"Sentimental stre­ak! Re­al­ly, Ni­co­le. You are ro­man­cing."
"Didn't he proc­la­im yo­ur ta­lent? Don't you owe the fact that you are on the way to him?"
"That was simply be­ca­use he ad­mi­red my work ... re­cog­ni­zed it for what it was, and he knew that I co­uld pa­int a mi­ni­atu­re as well as my fat­her co­uld."
"But he did it, didn't he? He went to con­si­de­rab­le pa­ins to ad­van­ce yo­ur ca­re­er."
"And then went to even gre­ater pa­ins to dest­roy it. No, I shall al­ways ha­te him. I see him for what he is and that is ... a mons­ter."
"Don't get ex­ci­ted," sa­id Ni­co­le.
"It's bad for the child."
I be­ca­me mo­re and mo­re gra­te­ful to Ni­co­le as the months pas­sed. She car­ri­ed off our mas­qu­era­de with ap­lomb; everyt­hing she did was do­ne in the true spi­rit of ge­ne­ro­sity which was to ma­ke me fe­el that the be­ne­fit was hers. She had be­en lo­nely, bo­red, and I had gi­ven her so­met­hing to plan for. My des­pe­ra­te si­tu­ati­on had re­li­eved the mo­no­tony ot­her days. The only ti­me she was im­pa­ti­ent was when I tri­ed to exp­ress my gra­ti­tu­de.
The ar­ran­ge­ments in the ho­use we­re per­fect. The stu­dio was lar­ge, airy and light. It was all a stu­dio sho­uld be. She had one day a we­ek when she re­ce­ived her fri­ends. I was al­ways with her on the­se oc­ca­si­ons and this bro­ught me many cli­ents. I had wor­ked right up to the ti­me of my con­fi­ne­ment so I was not go­ing to be short of mo­ney and was ab­le to pay Ni­co­le a re­aso­nab­le pri­ce for my rent, alt­ho­ugh I knew full well that she did not want to ta­ke it. Ho­we­ver, I in­sis­ted on this.
She was int­ro­du­cing me to a new way of li­fe. I had be­co­me Ma­da­me Col­li­son, the fa­mo­us ar­tist; and Ni­co­le, who cer­ta­inly did not ob­ser­ve the ru­les of con­ven­ti­on for her­self, had de­ci­ded that it might be ad­vi­sab­le for me to gi­ve so­me re­gard to them. The­re­fo­re she hin­ted at a de­ce­ased hus­band and the post­hu­mo­us child-to-be. It ma­de a very in­te­res­ting si­tu­ati­on and sur­ro­un­ded me with a cer­ta­in amo­unt of mystery which ma­de me an int­ri­gu­ing per­so­na­lity as well as a ta­len­ted ar­tist.
I enj­oyed the eve­nings un­til I be­gan to get too lar­ge and then I felt the ne­ed to rest. All sorts of pe­op­le ca­me to the sa­lon. The­re was. a gre­at de­al of mu­sic. Ni­co­le pla­yed the pi­ano with spi­rit and so­me­ti­mes she en­ga­ged pro­fes­si­onal mu­si­ci­ans. She li­ked, tho­ugh, to cho­ose pe­op­le who we­re trying to get a he­aring in that fi­eld. She was very sympat­he­tic and wha­te­ver an­yo­ne tho­ught abo­ut her past li­fe, fun­da­men­tal­ly go­od. I had re­ason to know that. Ar­tists, wri­ters, mu­si­ci­ans ca­me. It was an ab­sor­bing and ex­ci­ting li­fe; and I was be­gin­ning to be happy, for Ni­co­le in­sis­ted that I sho­uld be. She wo­uld sha­ke her fin­ger at me and I wo­uld rush in with it be­fo­re she had ti­me to say it: "For the sa­ke of the child ..."
During the last months I wo­uld lie on a so­fa in the sa­lon with a vel­vet co­ver to hi­de my body, and pe­op­le ca­me and sat be­si­de me, and so­me­ti­mes they knelt, which ma­de me fe­el li­ke a qu­e­en.
The mid­wi­fe, cho­sen by Ni­co­le, had mo­ved in. My ti­me was ap­pro­ac­hing.
Then ca­me the all-impor­tant day and my child was born.
I ca­me out of ex­ha­us­ti­on to he­ar the cry. lo­ud and lusty.
I he­ard the mid­wi­fe say: "This one will gi­ve a go­od ac­co­unt of him­self Then I knew I had a boy.
When he was la­id in my arms, Ni­co­le was the­re, smi­ling pro­udly. She told me that he we­ig­hed ni­ne po­unds, which was very big- and he was per­fect in every way.
"He is go­ing to be so­met­hing... our boy," she sa­id.
She do­ted on him from the ho­ur of his birth and we tal­ked of not­hing el­se but this mar­ve­lo­us boy.
"What shall you call him?" she as­ked, and for a mo­ment I tho­ught she was go­ing to sug­gest Rol­lo and I felt an­ger wel­ling up wit­hin me.
I sa­id qu­ickly: "I am go­ing to call him Ken­dal... af­ter my fat­her.
There must be a K . just in ca­se . "
She was la­ug­hing.
"But of co­ur­se he must be Ken­dal," she sa­id.
"He must ha­ve the ma­gi­cal ini­ti­als just in ca­se he sho­uld turn out to be a gre­at ar­tist."
She roc­ked him in her arms. She mar­vel­led at him. I li­ked to see her happy.
Then she ga­ve him to me and I held him clo­se aga­inst me. I knew that anyt­hing that had go­ne be­fo­re was worth it for his sa­ke.
The Onf­lam­me Ki­te I wo­uld not ha­ve be­li­eved I co­uld be so happy. Two ye­ars had pas­sed sin­ce the birth of my son and he grew in strength and be­a­uty every day and in a man­ner at which both Ni­co­le and I mar­vel­led. The ex­ci­te­ment of his first to­oth, his first smi­le, the first word he ut­te­red, the first ti­me he sto­od alo­ne on his two dimp­led fe­et, was so in­ten­se, and the mo­re so be­ca­use it was sha­red.
He was at the cent­re of our li­ves. As so­on as he was ab­le to spe­ak he sa­id his own na­me, of which his ver­si­on was Kendy. It oc­cur­red a gre­at de­al in his con­ver­sa­ti­on. In­tel­li­gent as he was, he co­uld not help but be awa­re of his im­por­tan­ce, and so­me­ti­mes I tho­ught he be­li­eved the who­le world was ma­de for him.
Each mor­ning, when I was in the stu­dio, he wo­uld be Ni­co­le's con­cern.
I was get­ting mo­re and mo­re cli­ents and the­re was hardly a day when I did not ha­ve work to do. It was very sa­tis­fac­tory and the­re was no do­ubt that my na­me was be­co­ming mo­re and mo­re well known in Pa­ri­si­an circ­les. Pe­op­le ca­me from the co­untry too- which was very gra­tif­ying as it sho­wed that my fa­me was spre­ading be­yond Pa­ris.
"Excellent, ex­cel­lent," Ni­co­le wo­uld mur­mur, and she co­uld ne­ver re­sist ad­ding: "Was I not right?"
She had be­en right in everyt­hing she had do­ne. She had fo­und a way out for me, and be­ca­use I had the most ado­rab­le child in the world I co­uld cast asi­de my reg­rets and be happy.
I wro­te to my fat­her abo­ut on­ce a month re­por­ting prog­ress. He was de­ligh­ted with the way things we­re go­ing and qu­ite un­ders­to­od that I co­uld not spa­re the ti­me to co­me
Q
home. As for him, his sight was fa­ding and he did not fe­el qu­ite ab­le to un­der­ta­ke the jo­ur­ney to Pa­ris. It was com­for­ting the­re­fo­re to re­ce­ive my let­ters. He wan­ted to he­ar abo­ut my suc­cess and he tho­ught that it had be­en the best thing that co­uld ha­ve hap­pe­ned, par­ti­cu­larly to a wo­man to be ac­cla­imed by so­me­one li­ke the Ba­ron and then to ha­ve her own stu­dio in Pa­ris.
"I think of you all the ti­me, de­arest Ka­te," he wro­te.
"I am so pro­ud of you. It is the one thing which co­uld ma­ke it pos­sib­le for me to ac­cept my af­flic­ti­on with re­sig­na­ti­on."
I tho­ught a gre­at de­al abo­ut him. He was happy in Col­li­son Ho­use and I grew mo­re and mo­re gra­te­ful to Cla­re for lo­oking af­ter him as she did.
He men­ti­oned her fre­qu­ently in his let­ters. It was cle­ar to me that the ma­na­ge­ment of the ho­use and the ca­re of my fat­her we­re in the best pos­sib­le hands.
I had not­hing to worry abo­ut. I tri­ed not to think of the Ba­ron and when I did to re­mind myself that alt­ho­ugh he had be­ha­ved so abo­mi­nably to me, thro­ugh him the com­mis­si­ons had co­me and my child. It was stran­ge to con­temp­la­te that my boy was partly his. I tri­ed to dis­miss that tho­ught whe­ne­ver it int­ru­ded, but I did no­ti­ce, with a to­uch of ap­pre­hen­si­on, that Ken­dal was be­gin­ning to lo­ok a lit­tle li­ke his fat­her. He was go­ing to be tall and bro­ad with light blond ha­ir and blu­ish-grey eyes. He will be bro­ught up so dif­fe­rently tho­ugh, I tho­ught. He shall not re­semb­le that man. I will te­ach him a bet­ter way of li­fe. It may well be that he will be­co­me an ar­tist.
He li­ked to sit in the stu­dio and watch me work, alt­ho­ugh of co­ur­se he was ne­ver the­re when the cli­ents we­re. He in­sis­ted that I gi­ve him so­me pa­ints, so I ga­ve him so­me pa­ints and he pa­in­ted on a she­et' of pa­per.
Such happy days they we­re, and as I watc­hed his fa­ir he­ad bent over the pa­per in comp­le­te ab­sorp­ti­on I of­ten tho­ught: I wo­uld not ha­ve had it ot­her­wi­se. He has ma­de everyt­hing worthw­hi­le.
One day when Ni­co­le had ta­ken Ken­dal out for his mor­ning walk in the Lu­xem­bo­urg Gar­dens, I was pa­in­ting in the stu­dio. My su­bj­ect was a yo­ung wo­man who wan­ted a mi­ni­atu­re of her­self to pre­sent to her hus­band on his birth­day. I had met her at one of Ni­co­le so­ire­es, as I did so many of my cli­ents. She chat­te­red on and on as I pa­in­ted her, which su­ited me. I li­ked to catch the fle­eting exp­res­si­ons as they tal­ked.
They we­re of­ten very re­ve­aling.
She sa­id sud­denly: "I saw Ma­da­me St. Gi­les with yo­ur lit­tle son as I ca­me in."
"Oh yes," I rep­li­ed.
"They are just go­ing for the­ir mor­ning walk."
"What an enc­han­ting lit­tle fel­low!"
I was ab­surdly ple­ased when pe­op­le sa­id comp­li­men­tary things abo­ut Ken­dal.
"I think so, but you know how the­se ma­ter­nal fe­elings carry one away."
"He is cer­ta­inly a be­a­uti­ful child. It is de­light­ful to ha­ve child­ren.
I ho­pe to . in ti­me. Of co­ur­se I am yo­ung yet. But then so are you, Ma­da­me Col­li­son. You must ha­ve be­en very yo­ung when you mar­ri­ed. And so sad . , . yo­ur hus­band ne­ver to see his son. "
I was si­lent.
She went on: "I'm sorry. I sho­uldn't ha­ve spo­ken of it. It must be very pa­in­ful... even now. For­gi­ve me."
I sa­id: "It's per­fectly all right."
"Time he­als, they say, and you ha­ve yo­ur de­ar lit­tle boy. My hus­band was at Cen­te­vil­le last we­ek. He sta­yed a night at the cast­le."
I held my brush abo­ve the ivory. It was very ne­ces­sary that my hand sho­uld be ab­so­lu­tely ste­ady. Each stro­ke was so im­por­tant.
"Oh yes . , ." I mur­mu­red.
"He sa­id the Prin­ces­se was not very well. I un­ders­tand she has not be­en ... sin­ce the birth."
"The birth?" I he­ard myself say.
"Oh, didn't you he­ar? It's qu­ite so­me ti­me ago. The child must be abo­ut the sa­me age as yo­ur lit­tle boy. Did you say he was two? Yes, that wo­uld be abo­ut it ... al­most exactly, I sho­uld ima­gi­ne."
"No," I sa­id, "I didn't know the­re was a child."
"A lit­tle boy. It's a mercy that it was a boy. I he­ar the Prin­ces­se's he­alth might pre­vent her from ha­ving ot­her child­ren."
"I'm sorry to he­ar that. She's qu­ite a yo­ung wo­man."
"Oh yes ... very yo­ung. But it was a dif­fi­cult birth. Any­way, they ha­ve the­ir boy."
"Did you see him?"
"Only bri­efly. He lo­oked rat­her sickly."
"I'm surp­ri­sed."
"Well, you wo­uld ha­ve ex­pec­ted the Ba­ron to ha­ve a child li­ke him­self, wo­uldn't you?"
"What ha­ve they cal­led him?" I as­ked.
"Rollo, I ex­pect."
"Oh no ... no. That's the Ba­ron's na­me."
"I had he­ard that it was and I wo­uld ha­ve ex­pec­ted the child to be na­med af­ter him."
"No. The child is Wil­li­am."
"Ah, Wil­li­am the Con­qu­eror."
"He hardly lo­oked li­ke a con­qu­eror, po­or lit­tle mi­te. But child­ren grow out of the­ir we­ak­nes­ses, I be­li­eve."
"Yes, I be­li­eve they do."
"You ha­ven't to worry abo­ut yo­ur lit­tle one. He lo­oks the pic­tu­re of he­alth."
I co­uld not get on af­ter that. I co­uld not shut out of my mind the tho­ught of the Prin­ces­se in that cast­le. She had be­en af­ra­id of it.
And then to be­ar a child and suf­fer and be­co­me we­ake­ned by it. I tho­ught the Ba­ron wo­uld not be very ple­ased with that now with a sickly child, boy tho­ugh he was, son and he­ir and Wil­li­am the Con­qu­eror.
Later that day when I was alo­ne with Ni­co­le I men­ti­oned that con­ver­sa­ti­on to her.
She nod­ded.
"You knew?" I sa­id.
"I'd he­ard."
"You didn't tell me."
"You know how you felt every ti­me his na­me was men­ti­oned. You still do, a lit­tle, I think."
"All the sa­me, I wo­uld rat­her ha­ve he­ard from you."
"I'll re­mem­ber that if I get any mo­re snip­pets of gos­sip."
"Yes, do. I li­ke to be in­for­med."
"Even abo­ut... cer­ta­in pe­op­le?"
"Yes, even abo­ut them. How did it go in the Gar­dens to­day?"
"Very well. Ken­dal is be­co­ming in­te­res­ted in sta­tu­es. He lo­ved the one of Cho­pin and I had to tell him as much as I knew abo­ut the mu­si­ci­an.
I even had to sing so­me of his pi­eces, with di­sast­ro­us re­sults I'm af­ra­id. Still, Ken­dal li­ked them. "
It was a few we­eks la­ter when I re­ce­ived a shock. Ken­dal had ri­sen from his early af­ter­no­on nap and was as usu­al full of energy. We we­re fin­ding it hard to ke­ep up with him the­se days and Ni­co­le of­ten sa­id it had be­en easi­er when he co­uld only crawl. He had be­en out with Ni­co­le all the mor­ning, and af­ter his nap I had pro­mi­sed to ta­ke him out. I had ta­ken him to the shop whe­re I bo­ught my brus­hes and af­ter we had ma­de a few purc­ha­ses we re­tur­ned to the ho­use.
As we en­te­red I he­ard Ni­co­le tal­king. Vi­si­tors, I tho­ught, and was abo­ut to ta­ke Ken­dal up the sta­irs to our apart­ment when Ni­co­le ap­pe­ared. She lo­oked rat­her flus­te­red.
"Kate," she sa­id, "Yo­ur fat­her is he­re."
I sto­od very still. I co­uldn't be­li­eve I had he­ard cor­rectly, and just at that mo­ment Cla­re ap­pe­ared in the do­or­way.
"Kate!" She ran to me and emb­ra­ced me. And the­re was my fat­her.
Kendal lo­oked on at the vi­si­tors with cu­ri­osity. I had to ma­ke a hasty de­ci­si­on.
"Father," I cri­ed and we emb­ra­ced.
"We ha­ve news for you. We had to tell you in per­son.. he sa­id.
"What a de­ar lit­tle boy!" cri­ed Cla­re.
I felt myself flus­hing scar­let. I was numb and co­uld not think of what to say. Of­ten I had pic­tu­red myself tel­ling my fat­her, for I knew that my son's exis­ten­ce co­uld not be kept sec­ret for ever. But I had cer­ta­inly ne­ver ima­gi­ned anyt­hing li­ke this.
"There is a gre­at de­al to exp­la­in," I sa­id.
"Nicole, will you ta­ke him up. He can co­me down and see my fat­her in a lit­tle whi­le."
"I want to see him now," sa­id Ken­dal.
"You've se­en him, dar­ling. I ha­ve to talk to him first."
Nicole to­ok him firmly by the hand and led him away.
I went in­to the sa­lon with my fat­her and Cla­re.
"First, tell me yo­ur news," I sa­id firmly, trying to find the words to exp­la­in Ken­dal.
"Clare and I are mar­ri­ed," blur­ted out my fat­her.
"Married!"
"Three we­eks ago. We didn't tell you be­ca­use we knew you'd be too busy to co­me to the wed­ding and per­haps fe­el you ought and so ma­ke it dif­fi­cult for you. We tho­ught we'd surp­ri­se you on our ho­ney­mo­on."
"Oh, Fat­her!" I sa­id.
"You're not ple­ased," sa­id Cla­re qu­ickly.
"Of co­ur­se I'm ple­ased. I think it's won­der­ful. No one can ca­re of him li­ke you."
"I want to ca­re for him," she sa­id ear­nestly.
"Particularly now ..."
My fat­her was smi­ling in my di­rec­ti­on and I re­ali­zed that he co­uld not see me very cle­arly.
I sa­id slowly: "As you ha­ve gu­es­sed, I ha­ve so­met­hing to tell you."
"Do you want to spe­ak to yo­ur fat­her alo­ne?" as­ked Cla­re.
I sho­ok my he­ad.
"No, Cla­re. You're one of the fa­mily now. I'm af­ra­id this will be a shock to you. The lit­tle boy is my son."
There was a de­ep si­len­ce in the ro­om.
"I co­uldn't tell you," I rus­hed on.
"That's why I had to stay he­re. I co­uldn't co­me to see you ..."
"You are mar­ri­ed?" as­ked my fat­her.
"No."
"I... see."
"No," I sa­id.
"I don't think you do."
"What hap­pe­ned to Bert­rand? You we­re go­ing to marry him."
"My child's fat­her is not Bert­rand."
"Someone el­se?"
Clare sa­id, "My po­or, po­or Ka­te."
"No," I sa­id fi­er­cely.
"I am not po­or. It hap­pe­ned ... and now that I ha­ve my boy I wo­uldn't ha­ve had it ot­her­wi­se."
My fat­her was lo­oking be­wil­de­red.
"But you we­re to ha­ve mar­ri­ed ..."
"There was so­me­one el­se," I sa­id.
"And you co­uldn't marry him?"
I sho­ok my he­ad. My fat­her was strug­gling with his prin­cip­les and his lo­ve for his da­ugh­ter. It was a gre­at shock to him that I sho­uld ha­ve an il­le­gi­ti­ma­te child. I felt I owed him so­me exp­la­na­ti­on for I did not want him to think I had be­en blit­hely im­mo­ral with no tho­ught to con­se­qu­en­ces.
I sa­id qu­i­etly: "It was for­ced on me."
"Forced! My de­ar child!"
"Please ... do you mind if we don't talk abo­ut it."
"Of co­ur­se we won't," Cla­re sa­id.
"Kendal de­ar, Ka­te is happy now .. wha­te­ver hap­pe­ned. And she's suc­ces­sful with her work. That must be a gre­at com­pen­sa­ti­on for everyt­hing. And the lit­tle boy is such a dar­ling."
"Thank you, Cla­re," I sa­id.
"Perhaps I'll be ab­le to tell you la­ter.
This has co­me so sud­denly. "
"We sho­uld ha­ve told you we we­re on our way," sa­id Cla­re.
"We wan­ted it to be a surp­ri­se."
"It's a won­der­ful surp­ri­se. I'm so happy to see you. It is just that
"
"We un­ders­tand," sa­id Cla­re.
"You will tell us when you want to. In the me­an­ti­me, it is not our bu­si­ness. You ha­ve this stu­dio and all this suc­cess. It is what you dre­amed of, isn't it?"
My fat­her was lo­oking in my di­rec­ti­on as tho­ugh he had be­en conf­ron­ted by a stran­ger. I went to him and ta­king his hand kis­sed it.
"I'm sorry," I sa­id.
"It's be­en un­fa­ir to you. Per­haps I sho­uld ha­ve told you. I didn't want to ma­ke dif­fi­cul­ti­es. Be­li­eve me, it was not my fa­ult. It... hap­pe­ned to me."
"You me­an ... ?"
"Please don't talk of it. Per­haps la­ter. Not now. Oh, Fat­her, I am so glad you are happy and that you ha­ve Cla­re."
"Clare has be­en very go­od to me."
I re­ac­hed for her hand and we all sto­od clo­se to­get­her.
"Please un­ders­tand," I sa­id.
"I did not se­ek it. It ... hap­pe­ned. I ha­ve a won­der­ful fri­end in Ni­co­le who has smo­ot­hed the way for me. I be­li­eve that in spi­te of it I ha­ve be­en lucky."
My fat­her clenc­hed his hand and sa­id softly: "Was it that man... that Ba­ron?"
"Father, ple­ase ... it's over and do­ne with."
"He did a lot for you. So it was be­ca­use-' " No, no. That's qu­ite wrong. Per­haps I can talk to you la­ter. not now. "
"Kendal de­ar," sa­id Cla­re gently, 'don't dist­ress Ka­te. Ima­gi­ne all she has go­ne thro­ugh. and then our co­ming so sud­denly. She'll tell us when she's re­ady. Oh, Ka­te, it is won­der­ful to see you. Is the lit­tle boy in­te­res­ted in pa­in­ting? "
"Yes, I re­al­ly think he is go­ing to be. He da­ubs a bit but I'm su­re he has an eye for co­lo­ur. I na­med him Ken­dal.. just in ca­se."
My fat­her smi­led gently. He grip­ped my hand tightly.
"You sho­uld ha­ve co­me to me, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"It was my pla­ce to help you."
"I al­most did. I might ha­ve do­ne if Ni­co­le hadn't be­en the­re. Oh, Fat­her, you ha­ve be­en so lucky to ha­ve Cla­re. I've be­en lucky with Ni­co­le. It is a won­der­ful thing to ha­ve sta­unch fri­ends."
"I ag­ree on that. I want to see the boy, Ka­te."
You shall. "
He mur­mu­red: "Ken­dal Col­li­son. He'll carry the torch per­haps."
My fat­her and Cla­re sta­yed with us for three days.
Once he had re­co­ve­red from the shock, my fat­her ac­cep­ted my po­si­ti­on in much the sa­me way as he had ac­cep­ted his on­co­ming blind­ness.
He did not ask any mo­re in­ti­ma­te qu­es­ti­ons. Whet­her he pre­su­med that I had ac­tu­al­ly be­en for­ced to sub­mit to the Ba­ron or whet­her he tho­ught he had over­po­we­red me with his per­su­asi­on, he did not ask and I did not tell him. He re­ali­zed that tal­king of the mat­ter dist­res­sed me and he wan­ted the vi­sit to be a happy one. He wan­ted to stress the fact -which I al­re­ady knew- that wha­te­ver hap­pe­ned to eit­her of us our lo­ve for each ot­her wo­uld re­ma­in as ste­ady as a rock.
They tal­ked of vil­la­ge mat­ters. Ho­pe had a lit­tle baby and was happy alt­ho­ugh for a long ti­me she had be­en unab­le to get over her sis­ter's de­ath. Everyt­hing was the sa­me at the vi­ca­ra­ge. Fran­ces Me­adows was a won­der­ful wor­ker and ma­na­ged the ho­use­hold ef­fi­ci­ently as well as co­unt­less vil­la­ge con­cerns.
"Life is very qu­i­et for us com­pa­red with you in yo­ur won­der­ful sa­lon," sa­id Cla­re.
"But it su­its us very well."
My fat­her's sight had grown much wor­se. He did not we­ar glas­ses be­ca­use they ma­de no dif­fe­ren­ce. I tho­ught the ti­me must co­me when he wo­uld be to­tal­ly blind. I dre­aded that day and I know he did.
Clare had long talks with me.
"He is adj­us­ting him­self gra­du­al­ly," she sa­id.
"I re­ad to him. He lo­ves that. Of co­ur­se he can't pa­int at all now.
It's he­art-bre­aking to see him in the stu­dio. He go­es up the­re qu­ite of­ten still. I think yo­ur suc­cess me­ans a gre­at de­al to him."
"Clare," I told her, "I don't know how to be gra­te­ful eno­ugh to you."
"It's I who sho­uld be gra­te­ful. Be­fo­re I ca­me to you, li­fe was so empty. Now it is full of me­aning. I think I was me­ant to lo­ok af­ter pe­op­le."
"It's a very nob­le mis­si­on in li­fe."
"Your fat­her is so kind ... so go­od, I'm the lucky one. I am so sorry for pe­op­le who ha­ven't had my luck. I of­ten gri­eve for po­or Fa­ith Cam­bor­ne."
"She was al­ways so help­less," I sa­id.
"I know. I tri­ed to bef­ri­end her. I did what I co­uld ..."
"You we­re al­ways very help­ful to her and I know she was very fond of you."
"All we can do now is pray that Ho­pe will stop gri­eving for her sis­ter and enj­oy what li­fe has gi­ven her ... a go­od hus­band and a lo­vely baby."
"Dear Cla­re," I mur­mu­red, kis­sing her, Ken­dal was very ex­ci­ted to find he had a grand­fat­her. He clim­bed all over him and pe­ered in­to his fa­ce. He must ha­ve he­ard talk of his very im­mi­nent blind­ness be­ca­use one day he clim­bed on­to his kne­es and lo­oking long in­to his fa­ce sa­id:
"How are yo­ur po­or eyes to­day?"
My fat­her was so mo­ved that he was al­most in te­ars.
"I'll see for you," Ken­dal sa­id.
"I'll hold yo­ur hand all the ti­me and won't let you fall over."
And when I saw the exp­res­si­on on my fat­her's fa­ce I co­uld only re­j­o­ice on­ce mo­re in my boy and reg­ret not­hing just not­hing-that had gi­ven him to me.
They we­re go­ing on to Italy. My fat­her wan­ted Cla­re to see tho­se works of art which had af­fec­ted him so de­eply when he had had eyes to see them. I be­li­eved he wo­uld see them aga­in thro­ugh Cla­re.
She was so gent­le with him, so kind, not fus­sing too much but just eno­ugh to let him know how much she ca­red for him, let­ting him do what he co­uld for him­self and yet at the sa­me ti­me al­ways be­ing the­re if he sho­uld ne­ed help.
I felt glad that they had co­me. It was as tho­ugh a gre­at we­ight had be­en lif­ted from my sho­ul­ders. I no lon­ger had a dark sec­ret which must be with­held from them. I sho­uld be ab­le to wri­te to them fre­ely in fu­tu­re.
"Please, Cla­re," I sa­id when they left, "You must co­me and see me of­ten. It is dif­fi­cult for me to co­me to Far­ring­don, but do co­me aga­in so­on."
They pro­mi­sed that they wo­uld.
Two ye­ars had pas­sed. Ken­dal was now ap­pro­ac­hing his fifth birth­day.
He co­uld draw very well and the­re was not­hing he li­ked bet­ter than to co­me to the stu­dio in the af­ter­no­ons when the­re we­re no cli­ents the­re and sit at a bench and pa­int. He pa­in­ted the sta­tu­es he had se­en in his fa­vo­uri­te Lu­xem­bo­urg Gar­dens. Cho­pin par­ti­cu­larly de­ligh­ted him but he did so­me re­cog­ni­zab­le pic­tu­res of Wat­te­au, De­lac­ro­ix and Ge­or­ges Sand. He had a skill which I tho­ught was mi­ra­cu­lo­us. I was wri­ting to my fat­her re­gu­larly for he was al­ways wan­ting news of Ken­dal and was de­ligh­ted to he­ar of his in­te­rest in pa­in­ting; he wro­te that at fi­ve ye­ars old I had be­gun to show such le­anings.
Q
"It is won­der­ful," wro­te my fat­her, 'to know that the link is not bro­ken. "
He and Cla­re ca­me to Pa­ris twi­ce du­ring that pe­ri­od.
He was al­most blind now and his wri­ting was be­co­ming dif­fi­cult to de­cip­her. Cla­re of­ten wro­te in his pla­ce. She told me that the dec­li­ne in his sight, tho­ugh gra­du­al, was de­fi­ni­te. Ho­we­ver, he had ac­cep­ted it and was very happy to talk with her, and she was re­ading to him mo­re and mo­re. He was up to da­te with the news and al­ways li­ked to le­arn what was hap­pe­ning in Fran­ce.
"I don't re­ad to him anyt­hing that I think might dist­ress him," she wro­te.
"He did get a lit­tle une­asy abo­ut the si­tu­ati­on over the­re.
There se­ems to be a cer­ta­in dis­sa­tis­fac­ti­on with the Em­pe­ror and with the Emp­ress. She is be­a­uti­ful, I know, but we he­ar that she is ext­ra­va­gant and then of co­ur­se she is Spa­nish and the French al­ways did dis­li­ke fo­re­ig­ners. Lo­ok how they ha­ted Ma­rie An­to­inet­te. I think yo­ur fat­her is al­ways a lit­tle an­xi­o­us that what hap­pe­ned eighty ye­ars ago will start all over aga­in. "
I didn't ta­ke much no­ti­ce of that when I re­ad it. Li­fe in Pa­ris was so ple­asant. We had our so­ire­es whe­re be­a­uti­ful and in­tel­li­gent pe­op­le cong­re­ga­ted. We tal­ked art mo­re than po­li­tics, but I did no­ti­ce that the lat­ter we­re be­gin­ning to co­me mo­re and mo­re in­to the con­ver­sa­ti­on.
Nicole was de­ligh­ted with li­fe, I think. She li­ved lu­xu­ri­o­usly and lo­ved her so­ire­es. I think now and then she to­ok a lo­ver, but the­re was no re­al­ly se­ri­o­us re­la­ti­ons­hip. I did not en­qu­ire and she did not tell me. I think in her he­art she was al­ways awa­re of what she cal­led my Ang­lo-Sa­xon res­pec­ta­bi­lity, and she wan­ted not­hing dis­tur­bed.
I was not wit­ho­ut my ad­mi­rers. I had ne­ver be­en be­a­uti­ful but I had ac­qu­ired so­met­hing du­ring my ye­ars with Ni­co­le. A po­ise, I sup­po­se.
My work was highly suc­ces­sful and I was tre­ated with gre­at res­pect. It was con­si­de­red a symbol of so­ci­al rank to ha­ve a Col­li­son mi­ni­atu­re, and with the per­ver­sity of fas­hi­on, my sex, which had be­en a draw­back, now be­ca­me an as­set.
I li­ked so­me of the men who ma­de ap­pro­ac­hes to me, but I co­uld ne­ver en­ter in­to an in­ti­ma­te re­la­ti­ons­hip. As so­on as they sho­wed any signs of fa­mi­li­arity my who­le be­ing wo­uld shrink and I wo­uld see that fa­ce le­ering at me. It had be­co­me mo­re and mo­re li­ke the de­mon-gar­goy­le of Not­re Da­me as the ye­ars pas­sed.
We we­re all very happy. I en­ga­ged a nur­sery go­ver­ness for Ken­dal. I co­uld not ex­pect Ni­co­le to ta­ke him out every day alt­ho­ugh she li­ked to on oc­ca­si­ons. Je­an­ne Co­let was an ex­cel­lent wo­man, kind yet firm.
She was just what Ken­dal ne­eded. He to­ok to her im­me­di­ately. He was a very lo­vab­le child. He was misc­hi­evo­us oc­ca­si­onal­ly as most child­ren are, but the­re was al­ways an ab­sen­ce of ma­li­ce in his misc­hi­ef. He wan­ted to find out how things wor­ked and that was why he dest­ro­yed them so­me­ti­mes. It was ne­ver due to a de­si­re to spo­il.
I sup­po­se I saw him as per­fect; but it was a fact that ot­hers lo­ved him on sight, and he was a fa­vo­uri­te whe­re­ver he went. Even the grim con­ci­er­ge ca­me out to see him as he pas­sed in and out. He used to run in and tell me abo­ut the pe­op­le he had met in the Gar­dens. He spo­ke a mix­tu­re of French and Eng­lish which was enc­han­ting and per­haps one of his at­trac­ti­ons.
However, pe­op­le no­ti­ced him and per­haps that was why when he ca­me back and tal­ked abo­ut the gent­le­man in the gar­dens I did not at first pay much at­ten­ti­on.
There was a fas­hi­on at that ti­me for ki­tes. The child­ren flew them in the Gar­dens every day. Ken­dal had a be­a­uti­ful one with the orif­lam­me the an­ci­ent ban­ner of Fran­ce emb­la­zo­ned ac­ross it. The gold fla­mes on a scar­let backg­ro­und we­re most ef­fec­ti­ve and it cer­ta­inly lo­oked very splen­did flying up in the sky.
He used to ta­ke the ki­te in­to the Gar­dens every mor­ning and he wo­uld co­me back and tell me how high it had flown far be­yond the ot­her ki­tes.
He had tho­ught it was go­ing to fly right to Eng­land to see his grand­fat­her.
Then one day he ca­me back wit­ho­ut his ki­te. He was in te­ars.
He sa­id: "It flew away."
"How did you let it do that?"
"The man was sho­wing me how to fly it hig­her."
"What man?"
"The man in the Gar­dens."
I lo­oked at je­an­ne
"Oh, it's a gent­le­man," she sa­id.
"He's so­me­ti­mes the­re. He sits and watc­hes the child­ren play. He of­ten has a word for Ken­dal."
I sa­id to Ken­dal: "Ne­ver mind. We'll get you anot­her ki­te."
"It won't be my orif­lam­me."
"I ex­pect we can find anot­her so­mew­he­re," I as­su­red him.
The next mor­ning he went of­fki­te­less and rat­her dis­con­so­la­te.
"I ex­pect it's with my grand­fat­her by now," he sa­id, and that se­emed to com­fort him. Then he sa­id an­xi­o­usly: "Will he be ab­le to see it?"
His fa­ce puc­ke­red a lit­tle and he sho­wed mo­re than sor­row for the loss of his ki­te. He was thin­king of how his po­or grand­fat­her wo­uld not be ab­le to see that glo­ri­o­us emb­lem. It was that tho­ught­ful­ness, that fe­eling for ot­hers, which ma­de Ken­dal so en­de­aring.
"I'll find anot­her orif­lam­me ki­te if I ha­ve to sco­ur Pa­ris," I sa­id to "I'll do the sa­me," she told me.
I had a sit­ting that mor­ning but pro­mi­sed myself that I wo­uld go out to lo­ok in the af­ter­no­on. The­re was no ne­ed to. Ken­dal ca­me back from the Gar­dens with a ki­te abo­ut twi­ce the si­ze of the lost one, and mo­re, glo­ri­o­us, mo­re flam­bo­yant was the red and gold emb­lem of an­ci­ent Fran­ce.
He was so joyo­us I just knelt down and hug­ged him.
"Mind the ki­te," he war­ned me.
"It's a very pre­ci­o­us one."
I lo­oked at je­an­ne qu­es­ti­oningly.
"It was the gent­le­man in the Gar­dens," she sa­id.
"He was the­re this mor­ning with the ki­te."
"You me­an ... he's gi­ven it to Ken­dal?"
"He sa­id it was partly his fa­ult that the ot­her one was lost. He and Ken­dal pla­yed with it all mor­ning."
I was a lit­tle une­asy.
"There was no ne­ed for him to rep­la­ce it," I sa­id, 'and even so, to buy such an ob­vi­o­usly ex­pen­si­ve one. "
A few days pas­sed and each mor­ning Ken­dal went off with his ki­te. He had be­en flying, he told me, with the gent­le­man in the Gar­dens.
There ca­me what I was wa­iting fo­ra can­cel­la­ti­on from a sit­ter and I se­ized the op­por­tu­nity. I was go­ing to see the gent­le­man in the Gar­dens for myself.
When I saw him I sto­od very still, tremb­ling with a ter­rib­le fe­ar. My im­pul­se was to snatch up Ken­dal and run as fast as I co­uld.
He was co­ming to­wards me. He bo­wed. Me­mo­ri­es ca­me flo­oding back. I wan­ted to sho­ut at him: "Go away. Get out of my li­fe."
But he sto­od the­re smi­ling.
"Mamma," sa­id Ken­dal and con­ti­nu­ed in his de­light­ful com­bi­na­ti­on of the two lan­gu­ages:' Vo­ila the mon­si­e­ur of the jar dins "Ken­dal and I ha­ve be­co­me fri­ends," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"How ... how long has this be­en go­ing on?" I mur­mu­red.
"Long eno­ugh for us to ha­ve be­co­me go­od fri­ends."
I co­utd not lo­ok at him. He ter­ri­fi­ed me. I knew his ruth­les­sness and I gre­atly fe­ared what his next ac­ti­on wo­uld be.
"How did you ... ?"
"I saw him. I was at­trac­ted by him ... I dis­co­ve­red his na­me."
Kendal was lo­oking from one to the ot­her of us.
"Are we go­ing to fly the ki­te?" he as­ked.
"But of co­ur­se," rep­li­ed the Ba­ron.
"Is it not a fi­ne ki­te?" he went on, lo­oking at me.
"It's big­ger than the one that went to Eng­land," sa­id Ken­dal.
"I ho­pe yo­ur grand­fat­her li­ked it."
He knows so much! I tho­ught. He has do­ne this de­li­be­ra­tely. Why?
He bo­wed to me.
"Will you for­gi­ve us? We must get the ki­te in the sky.
It has to show the­se ot­hers how in­fe­ri­or the­ir lit­tle ef­forts are. "
"Come on," sa­id Ken­dal.
I watc­hed them mo­ve off to­get­her. I was da­zed. What is he trying to do now? I as­ked myself. What do­es this me­an? He has be­en co­ming to the Gar­dens to see the boy. Oh, why? When has he ever be­en in­te­res­ted in child­ren?
So I had not es­ca­ped from him. The last few ye­ars when I had co­me to terms with li­fe, when I had le­ar­ned to ac­cept what it of­fe­red me and be gra­te­ful for it. they we­re just the in­te­rim.
I was af­ra­id of this man. I knew him to be wit­ho­ut mercy.
What did he want with my son?
The ap­pal­ling truth had to be fa­ced. Ken­dal was his son too.
I watc­hed the orif­lam­me ri­se in the sky. The­re it was, outs­hi­ning all ot­hers. Ever­yo­ne was po­in­ting it out and Ken­dal's pri­de in it was im­men­se.
What is he te­ac­hing the boy al­re­ady? I as­ked myself. Al­re­ady he is sho­wing him that he must be su­pe­ri­or to all ot­hers. He must fly a lar­ger ki­te. He must put the ot­hers in the sha­de.
It was how the Ba­ron had be­en bro­ught up. He wo­uld try to turn my be­a­uti­ful child in­to anot­her such as him­self.
I he­ard him say: "He­re you are. You hold it. Grip it firmly. Don't let go. Can you?"
"Of co­ur­se," sa­id Ken­dal.
"Of co­ur­se," he re­pe­ated.
"I am now go­ing to ha­ve a word with yo­ur Mam­ma."
He sat be­si­de me. Ins­tinc­ti­vely I mo­ved away. He no­ti­ced and la­ug­hed.
"What a boy!" he sa­id.
I did not ans­wer.
"He lo­oks just li­ke my grand­fat­her. I ha­ve a port­ra­it of him at the boy's age. The li­ke­ness is ama­zing."
I sa­id slowly: "This boy is my boy. He is ne­ver go­ing to be li­ke tho­se Nor­se ba­rons who ro­de ro­ughs­hod over ever­yo­ne who sto­od in the­ir way."
"There is a swe­et­ness in him," he went on, 'inhe­ri­ted from his ma­ter­nal re­la­ti­ons, I don't do­ubt. But he'll be a figh­ter. "
"I don't think the­re is any ne­ed to dis­cuss him with you. If you will let me know the cost of the ki­te ..."
"That was my gift to him."
"I don't re­al­ly ca­re for him to ta­ke gifts from stran­gers."
"Not from his own fat­her!"
I tur­ned to him sharply.
"What are you plan­ning?"
"I me­rely ma­de a com­ment. I am his fat­her and I shall gi­ve him a ki­te if I want to... or anyt­hing el­se for that mat­ter."
"I am his mot­her. I ha­ve bro­ught him in­to this world and ca­red for him ever sin­ce. It is not for you to co­me along now be­ca­use you li­ke the lo­ok of him and cla­im to be his fat­her. How can you be su­re that you are."
He lo­oked at me sar­do­ni­cal­ly.
"You are a wo­man of im­pec­cab­le mo­rals, I am su­re. Everyt­hing fits. One only has to lo­ok at him."
"Lots of child­ren lo­ok ali­ke."
"Not so li­ke. Be­si­des, I knew him at on­ce as so­on as I saw him. I sa­id to myself: That is my son."
"You ha­ve no cla­im on him."
"Don't let him see that you are af­ra­id of me. That might aro­use his re­sent­ment aga­inst me. I ha­ve he­ard from him what a be­a­uti­ful, cle­ver mot­her he has. I ha­ve al­so he­ard talk of you. You jus­ti­fi­ed my be­li­ef in you. The fa­mo­us Ka­te Col­li­son ... be­a­uti­ful ... yo­ung ... alo­of ... a lit­tle myste­ri­o­us ... li­ving al­most li­ke a nun, they say."
"Where did you get this in­for­ma­ti­on?"
"You li­ve in the li­me­light, de­ar Ka­te. One can­not help but be­ar the­se things. I sa­id to myself: The­re has be­en no one el­se in Ka­te's li­fe. I was the one. I re­ma­in the one."
"I see yo­ur opi­ni­on of yo­ur­self has not chan­ged."
"As a mat­ter of fact, I'll tell you this, Ka­te. I am not a very happy man."
"How is that? Su­rely you can jug­gle with cir­cums­tan­ces and gi­ve yo­ur­self what you want?"
"It's not easy."
"You ha­ve in­de­ed chan­ged. I tho­ught you we­re om­ni­po­tent."
"Not qu­ite, alas."
"Surely you are not con­tent with be­ing " not qu­ite"?"
"Listen, Ka­te, don't let's was­te ti­me li­ke this. I ha­ve tho­ught of you of­ten."
"I sup­po­se that is me­ant to be flat­te­ring."
"It's the truth. That was a won­der­ful ti­me for me."
"It was hardly that for me."
"It was, Ka­te. If you are truth­ful with yo­ur­self you will ad­mit you lo­ved it ... every mi­nu­te. Co­me, you know you did."
"I ha­ted it. I ha­ted you. It ru­ined ..."
"Your li­fe? No. Lo­ok for yo­ur­self. Out of it ca­me that be­a­uti­ful boy.
You wo­uldn't chan­ge that, wo­uld you? "
"I ha­ve my boy and I am go­ing to ke­ep him."
"You wo­uldn't ha­ve him any dif­fe­rent, wo­uld you ... not in one lit­tle way?"
"Of co­ur­se I wo­uldn't."
"There you are. He had to be part mi­ne to ma­ke him as he is. You might ha­ve mar­ri­ed Bert­rand. I sa­ved you from that. | I was surp­ri­sed when he didn't go ahe­ad. I told him to, but | he de­fi­ed me. He lost a gre­at de­al. He is a very po­or man now. a He mar­ri­ed ho­ping his wi­fe wo­uld bring him so­met­hing. She did a lit­tle ... not as much as he ho­ped tho­ugh."
"Did you ha­ve a hand in that?"
"He had to le­arn he co­uld not defy me. Oh, you wo­uld ha­ve be­en so bo­red with him. Such a milk and wa­ter gent­le­man. It wo­uld ha­ve las­ted with you, Ka­te. It wo­uld ha­ve ru­ined yo­ur ca­re­er. Ma­da­me de Mor­te­mer.
No, I don't see you as that. Ins­te­ad he­re you are, glo­ri­o­us Ka­te Col­li­son, so­ught af­ter but unat­ta­inab­le, the gre­at ar­tist, and the mot­her of the most de­light­ful boy in Fran­ce. Tell me, do­es he pa­int?
"
"What is it to you?"
"A gre­at de­al."
"I re­fu­se to ans­wer."
"Oh Ka­te ... the sa­me Ka­te. It ta­ke me back so. I sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve let you go. You see I can ma­ke mis­ta­kes."
"That's an ext­ra­or­di­nary ad­mis­si­on. Yes, you ha­ve in­de­ed chan­ged. It surp­ri­ses me very much to he­ar you ad­mit de­fe­at."
"I ho­pe you will ta­ke pity on me."
"I don't be­li­eve a word you say, you know. I ne­ver shall."
"Oh, you ad­mit we shall ha­ve ot­her op­por­tu­ni­ti­es for di­sag­re­e­ing. That imp­li­es a con­ti­nu­ati­on of our re­la­ti­ons­hip which I very much de­si­re."
"I think I sho­uld be go­ing."
"You can't bring down the orif­lam­me yet ... un­less you wo­uld li­ke me to ta­ke char­ge of the boy."
"That I will ne­ver al­low."
"I tho­ught not," he sa­id.
"Why ha­ve you co­me he­re?" I as­ked.
"To see the boy."
"To ing­ra­ti­ate yo­ur­self with him."
"I want his fri­ends­hip."
"It is not for you."
"Shame, Ka­te. His own fat­her!"
"I he­ard you ha­ve a son of yo­ur own ... a le­gi­ti­ma­te one."
His fa­ce har­de­ned.
"I ha­ve no son," he sa­id.
"The Prin­ces­se has a son, I was told."
"She has."
"Then ..."
"You knew, Ka­te. You we­re with her. I be­li­eve she con­fi­ded in you.
She did not co­me to me a vir­gin."
I lo­oked at him ste­adily, moc­kingly. He was very se­ri­o­us now.
"The child was born too so­on," he sa­id.
"I knew it was not mi­ne. She ad­mit­ted that she had had a lo­ver. Ar­mand L'Estran­ge. So I gi­ve my na­me to a bas­tard. What do you think of that? It ma­kes you la­ugh, do­esn't it?"
"Yes," I sa­id, la­ug­hing.
"It ma­kes me la­ugh." Then I was so­ber sud­denly.
"The po­or lit­tle Prin­ces­se ... I be­gan.
"Oh, you are sorry for her, are you? That de­ce­it­ful har­lot."
"I'd be sorry for an­yo­ne who had the ill for­tu­ne to marry you."
"Well, you ha­ve the sa­tis­fac­ti­on of kno­wing that I ha­ve a sha­re in that mis­for­tu­ne."
"You are out­ra­ged, I am su­re. Ne­ver mind. You ha­ve le­ar­ned a va­lu­ab­le les­son. You can be de­ce­ived li­ke an­yo­ne el­se. What is go­od for men is per­haps af­ter all go­od for wo­men. You sho­uld not fe­el so angry be­ca­use you ha­ve be­en ca­ught at yo­ur own ga­me."
"I had for­got­ten you are one of the ad­van­ced wo­men, are you not? You are a wo­man and an ar­tist. You stand si­de by si­de with men and com­pe­te with them."
"I com­pe­te as an ar­tist... if you call it com­pe­ting. This is not a mat­ter of sex."
"I ga­ve you yo­ur chan­ce ... re­mem­ber that. Do you think you wo­uld ha­ve fo­und it so easy if I had not?"
"No. But you cla­im to be a lo­ver of art. You re­cog­ni­zed my ta­lent and for that re­ason only you po­in­ted it out to ot­hers."
"I was in­te­res­ted m_you."
"As an ar­tist."
"And as a wo­man. I think I pro­ved that."
"Oh, I tho­ught that was a mat­ter of sor­did re­ven­ge."
"It is al­ways a go­od ru­le to com­bi­ne bu­si­ness with ple­asu­re."
"Well, it is over now. You sub­mit­ted me to the gre­atest hu­mi­li­ati­on one per­son can inf­lict on anot­her. For that I shall ne­ver for­gi­ve you.
You owe me so­met­hing. Well, ke­ep out of my way. Ke­ep away from my son. "
"You ask too much."
He to­ok my hand and crus­hed it in his.
"I wo­uldn't harm eit­her of you," he sa­id.
"I hap­pen to be very fond of you both."
"Who was it sa­id. Fe­ar the Gre­eks when they bring gifts? I ha­ve anot­her com­ment and that is that when men li­ke you play at be­ing kindly they are at the­ir most de­adly."
"Kate, you've chan­ged. Un­ders­tand that I ha­ve chan­ged too."
"I do not be­li­eve you will ever chan­ge for anyt­hing but the wor­se."
"Won't you gi­ve me a chan­ce?"
"No."
"Cruel Ka­te."
"There is only one way in which you can chan­ge my fe­elings to­wards you."
"What is that?"
"Stay away from me ... and mi­ne. And do you want a word of ad­vi­ce?"
"From you, Ka­te, that wo­uld be gol­den, I am su­re."
"I had to fa­ce a frigh­te­ning si­tu­ati­on. When I dis­co­ve­red I was go­ing to ha­ve a child I did not know which way to turn. I had a go­od fri­end and I ca­me thro­ugh; and now I ha­ve co­me to terms with li­fe. You sho­uld do the sa­me. You ha­ve a son.
You may ha­ve mo­re child­ren. You must not bla­me the Prin­ces­se be­ca­use she did on­ce what you ha­ve spent yo­ur li­fe do­ing. At le­ast in her ca­se it was do­ne by con­sen­ting par­ti­es. "
"Oh Ka­te," he sa­id, 'it do­es me so much go­od to be with you. Do you know, I fe­el mo­re ali­ve just to he­ar you talk. I re­al­ly do enj­oy be­ing be­ra­ted by you. Do you re­mem­ber how you fo­ught me? You re­al­ly me­ant to fight, didn't you? Ha­ve pity on me. My mar­ri­age is a di­sas­ter, I ha­te my wi­fe's sickly bas­tard, I des­pi­se my wi­fe. She can­not ha­ve mo­re child­ren. Be­aring the bas­tard did so­met­hing to her. The­re's my sad story. "
"There's a mo­ral in it."
"What's that?"
"The wic­ked ne­ver pros­per."
He la­ug­hed and I sto­od up. He sto­od be­si­de me. I had for­got­ten how big he was, how over­po­we­ring.
"I'd li­ke to ha­ve a chan­ce to put my ca­se to you," he sa­id.
"May I?"
"No," I ans­we­red.
"I am not in­te­res­ted in yo­ur ca­se. I can only see you as a bar­ba­ri­an, a sa­va­ge born out of yo­ur cen­tury. If you wo­uld ple­ase me ... and God knows you owe me so­met­hing ... you will stay out of my li­fe. Le­ave me with what I ha­ve suf­fe­red for and wor­ked for.
These things be­long to me and you ha­ve no part in them. " I cal­led:
"Kendal. Bring down the orif­lam­me. It's ti­me to go ho­me."
The Ba­ron went to the boy and hel­ped him with the ki­te. Ken­dal was le­aping ro­und with ex­ci­te­ment whi­le the Ba­ron han­ded him the ki­te.
"Thank you for it," sa­id Ken­dal.
"It's the best and big­gest ki­te that was ever in the sky."
I tho­ught: Al­re­ady he is ma­king my son li­ke him.
We ma­de our way si­lently ho­me. I was de­eply ap­pre­hen­si­ve. I had not felt such fe­ar for a long ti­me.
Kendal wal­ked so­berly be­si­de me, ca­re­ful­ly car­rying his orif­lam­me ki­te.
Paris un­der Si­ege The pe­ace­ful days we­re over. I was now be­set by an­xi­ety be­ca­use that man had co­me back in­to my li­fe.
I tal­ked it over with Ni­co­le. She tho­ught I was wor­rying un­duly.
"Naturally he's in­te­res­ted in his own son," she sa­id.
"He just wants to see him and the best way of do­ing this, as you wo­uld not wel­co­me him he­re, is in the Gar­dens. What harm is he do­ing?"
"I know that whe­re­ver he is the­re will be harm. What can I do?"
"Nothing," rep­li­ed Ni­co­le calmly.
"You can't stop the boy go­ing to the Gar­dens. He'll want to know why.
He'll be re­sent­ful. Let him go. Let him play with the ki­te the­re.
It'll be all right."
"I'm ter­ri­fi­ed that he will try to ta­ke Ken­dal away from me."
"He wo­uldn't do that. How co­uld he? It wo­uld be kid­nap­ping."
"He is a law un­to him­self."
"He wo­uldn't do that. Whe­re wo­uld he ta­ke the child? To Cen­te­vil­le?
No, of co­ur­se not. He just wants to see him now and then. "
"Nicole ... ha­ve you se­en him?"
"Yes," she ans­we­red.
"You didn't tell me."
"It was only bri­efly and I tho­ught it wo­uld up­set you. As a mat­ter of fact, he is con­cer­ned abo­ut the si­tu­ati­on. Every­body is."
"What si­tu­ati­on?"
"We're on the brink of war. The Em­pe­ror is be­co­ming very un­po­pu­lar.
After what hap­pe­ned to our co­untry at the end of last cen­tury we are a sen­si­ti­ve pe­op­le. "
She ma­na­ged to sub­due my fe­ar for Ken­dal, but I fo­und it very hard to work whi­le he was out of the ho­use, I ar­ran­ged that he sho­uld go out in the af­ter­no­ons when I co­uld go with him. In the mor­nings he sho­uld be at his les­sons. He was af­ter all ne­arly fi­ve ye­ars old.
I knew that he had not se­en the Ba­ron for a we­ek. Stran­gely eno­ugh he did not men­ti­on him. I had co­me to re­ali­ze that child­ren to­ok al­most everyt­hing for gran­ted. The gent­le­man was the­re, he li­ked to talk to him, he had pre­sen­ted him with a ki­te . and then he was not the­re.
That was li­fe, to Ken­dal.
I was im­men­sely re­li­eved.
But when we had vi­si­tors the­re was con­ti­nu­al talk of what they cal­led the une­asy si­tu­ati­on.
"How long is the Se­cond Em­pi­re go­ing to last?" one of my vi­si­tors as­ked me.
I won­de­red why he was so in­ten­se. I, of co­ur­se, had not had grand­pa­rents who had li­ved thro­ugh the Re­vo­lu­ti­on.
"There are pe­op­le," I was told, 'who ha­ve felt they we­re sit­ting on the ed­ge of a vol­ca­no ever sin­ce. "
"The Em­pe­ror has no right to med­dle in Da­nish and Aust­ro-Prus­si­an wars," sa­id one.
"The French army is strong and the Em­pe­ror him­self will le­ad it."
"Don't you be­li­eve it," sa­id anot­her.
"I don't trust the­se Prus­si­ans."
I was too con­cer­ned with my own af­fa­irs to pay much at­ten­ti­on, June had be­en a hot month. It was now over and we we­re now in what was to pro­ve for Fran­ce the fa­tal July of 1870.
Nicole ca­me in one day and bre­ath­les­sly told me that war bet­we­en Fran­ce and Prus­sia had be­en dec­la­red.
I re­ce­ived a let­ter that day which comp­le­tely put thi tho­ught of war out of my mind. It was from Cla­re and thi news it con­ta­ined shat­te­red me.
My de­ar Ka­te [she wro­te], I don't know how to be­gin to tell you. This has be­en a dre­ad­ful shock.
Your fat­her is de­ad. It was so sud­den. Of co­ur­se he was ne­aring to­tal blind­ness. Ka­te, he pre­ten­ded to co­me to terms with it, but he ne­ver did. He used to go to the stu­dio whe­re you and he had be­en so happy to­get­her and sit the­re for ho­urs. It was he­artb­re­aking.
He was sle­eping badly and I got the doc­tor to presc­ri­be so­met­hing for him to ta­ke at nights. I tho­ught that was hel­ping him. And then . one mor­ning when I went in to wa­ken him . I fo­und him de­ad.
He lo­oked so pe­ace­ful lying the­re. He lo­oked yo­ung. As tho­ugh he we­re very happy.
There was an in­qu­est. They we­re very sympat­he­tic. The co­ro­ner sa­id what a tra­gedy it was that a gre­at ar­tist sho­uld be rob­bed of that which was most ne­ces­sary to him. Ot­hers can lo­se the­ir sight and ac­cept the­ir fa­te mo­re easily. But not a man to whom his work had me­ant so much.
They cal­led it su­ici­de whi­le the ba­lan­ce of his mind was dis­tur­bed.
But his mind was as cle­ar as ever. He­j­ust felt that he co­uld not go on wit­ho­ut his eyes.
I don't know what I am go­ing to do, Ka­te. I'm in a sta­te of in­de­ci­si­on at the mo­ment. I sho­uldn't co­me he­re if I we­re you. It wo­uld only ma­ke you mi­se­rab­le. Ever­yo­ne is very kind to me. Fran­ces Me­adows ma­de me stay at the vi­ca­ra­ge, which is whe­re I am now, and Ho­pe has as­ked me to go and stay with them, which I shall do at the end of this we­ek. By the ti­me you get this let­ter I shall pro­bably be the­re.
There is not­hing you can do. Per­haps I will co­me over and see you la­ter on and we can talk abo­ut everyt­hing.
Your fat­her spo­ke of you cons­tantly. Only the day be­fo­re he di­ed he sa­id how happy he was that you we­re so suc­ces­sful. He tal­ked of the boy too. It was al­most as tho­ugh he felt he co­uld die hap­pily kno­wing that you wo­uld carry on the tra­di­ti­on.
Dear Ka­te, I know this is the most ter­rib­le shock for you. I shall try to ma­ke a new li­fe for myself. I fe­el so de­so­la­te and un­hap­py, but I thank God for my go­od fri­ends. I don't know what I shall do. Sell the ho­use, I think, if you are ag­re­e­ab­le to that.
He left me the ho­use and what lit­tle he had ex­cept the mi­ni­atu­res, of co­ur­se. They are for you. Per­haps I'll bring them over to Pa­ris so­me­ti­me . I'm af­ra­id I've told you rat­her clum­sily. I've writ­ten this let­ter three ti­mes. But the­re is no way of sof­te­ning the blow, is the­re?
My lo­ve to you, Ka­te. We must me­et so­on. The­re is a go­od de­al to de­ci­de. Cla­re The let­ter drop­ped from my hands.
Nicole ca­me in. She sa­id: "The Em­pe­ror is go­ing to le­ad the for­ces.
He'll cross the Rhi­ne and for­ce the Ger­man Sta­tes to be­co­me ne­ut­ral.
Why . what's the mat­ter? "
I sa­id: "My fat­her is de­ad. He has kil­led him­self."
She sta­red at me and I thrust the let­ter in­to her hands.
"Oh my God," she whis­pe­red.
She had a won­der­ful­ly sympat­he­tic na­tu­re and it al­ways ama­zed me to see her chan­ge from the bright sop­his­ti­ca­ted worldly wo­man in­to the warm-he­ar­ted and un­ders­tan­ding fri­end.
First of all she ma­de a cup of strong cof­fee which she in244 fHK

DEMON

LOVER |

sis ted that I drink. She tal­ked to me, of my fat­her, of his ta­lent, J of his li­fe's work . and the sud­den ces­sa­ti­on of that work. I "It was too much for him to en­du­re," she sa­id.
"He was ? rob­bed of his gre­atest tre­asu­re ... his eyes. He co­uld ne­ver's ha­ve be­en happy wit­ho­ut them. Per­haps he is happy now." | I felt bet­ter tal­king to Ni­co­le and on­ce aga­in I was gra­te­ful for her pre­sen­ce in my li­fe.
I sup­po­se it was re­al­ly be­ca­use of what had hap­pe­ned that I co­uld only fe­el a lu­ke­warm in­te­rest in the war abo­ut which ever­yo­ne aro­und me was get­ting so ex­ci­ted.
When the news ca­me that the French had dri­ven the Ger­man de­tach­ment out of­Sa­arb­ri­ic­ken, the Pa­ri­si­ans went wild with joy. The­re was dan­cing in the stre­ets and the pe­op­le we­re sin­ging pat­ri­otic songs, sho­uting Vi­ve la Fran­ce' and "A Ber­lin'. Even the lit­tle mo­dis­tes' girls with the­ir bo­xes han­ging on the­ir arms we­re tal­king ex­ci­tedly abo­ut gi­ving the Prus­si­ans a les­son they wo­uld ne­ver for­get.
As for myself I co­uld think of not­hing but my fat­her. When I had se­en him he had se­emed happy- con­tent with his mar­ri­age to Cla­re, happy be­ca­use I was suc­ces­sful and he tho­ught Ken­dal vas go­ing to pa­int too.
And all the ti­me he had be­en ke­eping his tho­ughts to him­self.
If only he had sha­red them!
There we­re ti­mes when I was on the po­int of ma­king ar­ran­ge­ments to re­turn to Eng­land.
What was the use? sa­id Ni­co­le. What co­uld I do? He was de­ad and bu­ri­ed. The­re was not­hing I co­uld do. Be­si­des, how co­uld I le­ave the boy?
How co­uld I in­de­ed. I tho­ught of the Ba­ron, prow­ling ro­und. What wo­uld hap­pen if I we­re not he­re?
"Moreover," went on Ni­co­le, 'it is not easy to tra­vel in war­ti­me. Stay whe­re you are. Wa­it aw­hi­le. You will get over the shock of it. Let Cla­re co­me he­re. You can talk to­get­her and com­fort each ot­her. "
It se­emed so­und ad­vi­ce.
Then things be­gan to chan­ge. The spi­rit of op­ti­mism had gi­ven way to one of ap­pre­hen­si­on. The war was not go­ing as well as it had se­emed to at first. Sa­arb­ri­ic­ken was not­hing mo­re than a skir­mish at which the French had had the­ir only suc­cess.
Gloom be­gan to show it­self in the stre­ets of Pa­ris. A mer­cu­ri­al pe­op­le on­ce ap­pla­uding vic­tory with ent­hu­si­asm we­re now sunk in glo­om and as­king each ot­her, What next?
The Em­pe­ror was with the army; the Emp­ress had ta­ken up re­si­den­ce in Pa­ris as Re­gent; and that first be­li­ef that it wo­uld so­on be over and the Prus­si­ans ta­ught a les­son be­gan to fa­de. The French army was not what it had be­en tho­ught to be. On the ot­her hand the Prus­si­ans we­re dis­cip­li­ned, well or­de­red and de­ter­mi­ned on vic­tory.
Everyone was tal­king abo­ut the war. It was a mo­men­tary set­back, sa­id so­me. It was not pos­sib­le that a gre­at co­untry li­ke Fran­ce co­uld be hu­mi­li­ated by lit­tle Prus­sia.
Even when sit­tings be­gan to be can­cel­led and so­me of my cli­ents we­re le­aving Pa­ris for the co­untry, I went on thin­king of my fat­her and ima­gi­ning what his tho­ughts must ha­ve be­en when he ma­de his fi­nal and fa­te­ful de­ci­si­on. It was not un­til I he­ard that the Prus­si­ans we­re clo­sing in on Metz and that the Em­pe­ror's army was in di­sor­derly ret­re­at bloc­king the ro­ads and stop­ping the mo­ve­ment of sup­pli­es to the front, that I be­gan to see that we we­re fa­cing re­al di­sas­ter.
Then ca­me the news of the di­re ca­la­mity at Se­dan and that the Em­pe­ror, with eighty tho­usand French tro­ops, was a pri­so­ner of war in the hands of the Prus­si­ans.
"What now?" as­ked Ni­co­le.
"What can we do but wa­it and see?" I as­ked.
There was fury in the stre­ets. Tho­se who had be­en proc­la­iming the Em­pe­ror and crying A Ber­lin we­re now fu­ming aga­inst him.
The Emp­ress had fled to Eng­land.
September had co­me. Who wo­uld ha­ve be­li­eved that the­re co­uld be such chan­ges in so short a ti­me.
Those few days se­emed end­less.
"They'll ma­ke pe­ace," sa­id Ni­co­le.
"We shall ha­ve to ag­ree to con­di­ti­ons. Then everyt­hing will set­tle down to nor­mal."
Two days af­ter the fall of Se­dan the Ba­ron ca­me to see us.
I was co­ming down to the sa­lon when I he­ard vo­ices. A vi­si­tor, I tho­ught.
I ope­ned the do­or and gas­ped with as­to­nish­ment, for the Ba­ron ca­me swiftly to­wards me and ta­king my hand kis­sed it. I withd­rew it qu­ickly and lo­oked rep­ro­ach­ful­ly at Ni­co­le. I had the imp­res­si­on that she had in­vi­ted him he­re.
But this was not so and he dis­pel­led that sus­pi­ci­on im­me­di­ately.
"I ca­me to warn you," he sa­id.
"You know what is hap­pe­ning." He did not wa­it for a com­ment from us.
"It's ... de­bac­le," he went on.
"We ha­ve al­lo­wed a fo­ol to go­vern Fran­ce."
"He did so­me go­od," Ni­co­le de­fen­ded the Em­pe­ror.
"He is just not a sol­di­er."
"If he is not a sol­di­er he sho­uld not go to war. He mis­led the co­untry in­to thin­king it had an army which co­uld fight. It was unp­re­pa­red .. unt­ra­ined ... The­re was not a chan­ce aga­inst the Ger­mans. Ho­we­ver, we was­te ti­me and God knows we ha­ve lit­tle of it to spa­re."
"The Ba­ron is sug­ges­ting that we le­ave Pa­ris," sa­id Ni­co­le.
"Leave Pa­ris? To go whe­re?"
"He is of­fe­ring us the shel­ter of his cha­te­au un­til we can ma­ke our plans."
I sa­id: "I ha­ve no in­ten­ti­on of go­ing to Cen­te­vil­le."
"Do you un­ders­tand the si­tu­ati­on?" he de­man­ded.
"I ha­ve be­en fol­lo­wing the news. I know the­re has be­en di­sas­ter at Se­dan and the Em­pe­ror ta­ken pri­so­ner."
"And that do­es not gi­ve you ca­use for alarm?"
I sa­id: "Not­hing wo­uld ma­ke me co­me to yo­ur cast­le. I ha­ve be­en the­re be­fo­re."
"The si­tu­ati­on is grim, Ka­te," sa­id Ni­co­le.
"I know. But I shall stay he­re. It's my ho­me now, and if it we­re im­pos­sib­le to li­ve he­re I sup­po­se I co­uld go to Eng­land."
"You will not find tra­vel­ling easy in war­ti­me."
I lo­oked at him ste­adily and I co­uld not shut out the me­mory of him in that tur­ret ro­om with tri­umph in his eyes and the de­ter­mi­na­ti­on to en­for­ce his will.
"I shall stay he­re," I sa­id firmly.
"You're be­ing fo­olish. You don't un­ders­tand what it me­ans to ha­ve an oc­cup­ying enemy in yo­ur co­untry."
"And what of you? You are in the sa­me co­untry."
"The Prus­si­ans will not co­me to my cha­te­au."
"Why not?"
"I shall not al­low it."
"You ... you're go­ing to stand out aga­inst the Prus­si­an ar­mi­es?"
"We're was­ting ti­me," he sa­id.
"You sho­uld pre­pa­re to le­ave at on­ce."
I lo­oked at Ni­co­le and sa­id: "You go if you want to. I shall stay he­re."
"Kate.. it's not sa­fe."
"There is a cho­ice of two evils. I cho­ose this one."
The Ba­ron was re­gar­ding me with that qu­iz­zi­cal lo­ok which I had se­en be­fo­re.
"Go, Ni­co­le," I sa­id.
"You be­li­eve him. I don't."
He ra­ised his sho­ul­ders in a help­less ges­tu­re.
Nicole sa­id: "You know I won't le­ave you and Ken­dal."
The Ba­ron shrug­ged his sho­ul­ders.
"Then the­re is not­hing mo­re I can do. Adi­eu, la­di­es. And may you ha­ve bet­ter luck than you ha­ve go­od sen­se."
With that he was go­ne.
Nicole sat down and sta­red in front ot­her.
"You sho­uld ha­ve go­ne with him," I sa­id.
She sho­ok her he­ad.
"No ... I'll stay he­re. This is my ho­me. You and the boy are my fa­mily."
"But you think I'm wrong."
She lif­ted her sho­ul­ders rat­her as he had do­ne a few mo­ments be­fo­re.
"It re­ma­ins to be se­en," she sa­id.
Those Sep­tem­ber days we­re stran­gely un­re­al hazy in the mor­nings and when the sun ro­se the city se­emed to be to­uc­hed with a gol­den light.
There was ten­si­on on the stre­ets as the pe­op­le wa­ited for news.
The who­le of Pa­ris was in re­volt aga­inst the Em­pe­ror whom they dec­la­red had bet­ra­yed them. It se­emed such a short whi­le ago that they had che­ered him and his be­a­uti­ful Emp­ress. Now they des­pi­sed them. It had be­en the sa­me with the kings, they sa­id. The Bo­na­par­tes be­ha­ved as tho­ugh they we­re kings and Pa­ris had re­j­ec­ted tho­se flam­bo­yant ru­lers eighty ye­ars be­fo­re.
I ca­ught a glimp­se du­ring tho­se days of what it must ha­ve be­en li­ke in pa­ris be­fo­re the Re­vo­lu­ti­on burst upon the city.
When Fran­ce dec­la­red her­self to be a Re­pub­lic on­ce mo­re, the­re was ex­ci­te­ment in the stre­ets. No mo­re kings. No mo­re em­pe­rors. This was the pe­op­le's land.
But this co­uld not hold back the Ger­man ad­van­ce, and as Sep­tem­ber ne­ared its end ca­me the fi­nal blow. Stras­bo­urg, one of the last strong­holds of the French, ca­pi­tu­la­ted to the Ger­mans, who­se ar­mi­es we­re now marc­hing on Pa­ris.
Then ca­me the ter­rif­ying in­for­ma­ti­on. The King of Prus­sia was ac­tu­al­ly in the Pa­la­ce of Ver­sa­il­les.
We had for so­me ti­me be­gun to fe­el the stra­in. Fo­od was fast di­sap­pe­aring from the shops. Ni­co­le had sa­id we must get to­get­her what we co­uld. If we had plenty of flo­ur we co­uld at le­ast ma­ke bre­ad. And as long as we co­uld we went on bu­ying.
There ca­me a day which I shall ne­ver for­get. Ni­co­le went out to see what she co­uld buy and whi­le she was go­ne the bom­bard­ment star­ted.
I he­ard the exp­lo­si­on and won­de­red what it was. I tho­ught the­re must be figh­ting ne­ar the outs­kirts of the city. I was wor­ri­ed abo­ut Ken­dal. I tho­ught then that I sho­uld ha­ve lis­te­ned to the Ba­ron. He was right. We sho­uld ha­ve left Pa­ris.
There was just that one exp­lo­si­on.
Kendal was in the stu­dio do­ing his les­sons with Je­an­ne. He was using the stu­dio now as I had had no cli­ents for we­eks.
I was thin­king that Ni­co­le se­emed to ha­ve be­en away a long ti­me when I he­ard the con­ci­er­ge cal­ling me.
I ran down. A boy was the­re.
"Madame Col­li­son," he sa­id, 'will you co­me at on­ce to the Ho­pi­tal St.
Jacques. A lady the­re is as­king for you. "
"A... lady?"
"Madame St. Gi­les ... She has be­en hurt. The­se cur­sed Ger­mans .."
I felt sick with fe­ar. The exp­lo­si­on! They we­re bom­bar­ding Pa­ris and I had to go the­re as fast as I co­uld, but I tho­ught of Ken­dal.
I sa­id: "Gi­ve me a mo­ment. I must tell them I am le­aving."
I cal­led to Je­an­ne.
"Madame St. Gi­les has be­en hurt," I sa­id bri­efly.
"I'm go­ing to the hos­pi­tal. Ta­ke ca­re of Ken­dal whi­le I'm away."
Jeanne nod­ded. I co­uld trust her.
Fortunately the hos­pi­tal was only a few stre­ets away and wit­hin a few mi­nu­tes I was the­re.
Nicole al­most un­re­cog­ni­zab­le was lying in a bed. She was wrap­ped in a whi­te ro­be and the­re we­re blo­ods­ta­ins on it.
I threw myself on to my kne­es and ga­zed at her.
She re­cog­ni­zed me, but I think only just.
"Kate," she whis­pe­red.
"I'm he­re, Ni­co­le. I ca­me as so­on as I co­uld."
"They're bom­bar­ding Pa­ris. They're all ro­und us... I was hur­rying ho­me to tell you ..."
"Should you talk?"
"I must talk, Ka­te."
"No," I sa­id.
"You sho­uldn't. Are you all right he­re? Is the­re anyt­hing I can do?
Are you in pa­in?"
She sho­ok her he­ad.
"I can't ... fe­el ... much. So­met­hing's hap­pe­ned to me."
"Oh Ni­co­le!" I sa­id and I was over­co­me with re­mor­se and sha­me. She sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve be­en he­re. She wo­uld ha­ve go­ne away with the Ba­ron but for me.
"Kate ..."
"Yes?"
She ga­ve me a cro­oked smi­le. The­re was no co­lo­ur in her fa­ce. She lo­oked de­ad. apart from her eyes.
"I... I want to tell you ..."
"You sho­uldn't talk."
"It's the end... for me. Stran­ge... Shot in a Pa­ris stre­et. I of­ten won­de­red what my end wo­uld be. Now I know."
"You sho­uld try to sle­ep."
She smi­led.
"I want you to... un­ders­tand ..."
"I un­ders­tand, my de­ar fri­end, that I co­uld ne­ver ha­ve got thro­ugh my tro­ub­les but for you." I felt the te­ars wel­ling in­to my eyes.
She blin­ked. I think she was trying to sha­ke her he­ad.
"Him... Ka­te."
"Him?"
"He's sa­fe in his Nor­man strong­hold," I sa­id.
"Try Ka­te ... Try to un­ders­tand. He was the one. It was his ho­use .
He wan­ted to ma­ke su­re that you we­re all right..."
What was she trying to tell me?
"Don't fret," I sa­id.
"Whatever it was do­esn't mat­ter now."
"Yes ... yes ..." she mur­mu­red.
"Try to un­ders­tand him, Ka­te.
There's go­od in him . "
I smi­led at her and a cer­ta­in im­pa­ti­en­ce sho­wed it­self in her slur­red vo­ice.
"He sent me... to find you, Ka­te. It wasn't by chan­ce. He wan­ted to be su­re that you we­re ... lo­oked af­ter."
"You me­an that he knew all the ti­me whe­re I was?"
"It was his ho­use. He lo­oked af­ter everyt­hing, Ka­te ... pa­id for everyt­hing ... ar­ran­ged abo­ut the birth. He has lo­oked af­ter everyt­hing sin­ce. He sent the pe­op­le who ca­me for the port­ra­its. You see... he ca­red, Ka­te."
This was too much. It was one shock fol­lo­wing on anot­her. He had watc­hed over me then. He had known whe­re I was all the ti­me. He must ha­ve gu­es­sed the­re wo­uld be a child. He had sent Ni­co­le to lo­ok af­ter me . to fe­ign fri­ends­hip . Oh no, not that. She had be­en my true fri­end. But in the be­gin­ning he had sent her. The ele­gant, com­for­tab­le ho­use, with its con­ve­ni­ent stu­dio had be­en pro­vi­ded by him.
Nicole had re­por­ted to him re­gu­larly and in ti­me he had co­me to see his son in the Gar­dens.
It was a blin­ding re­ve­la­ti­on, but so­me­how it did not se­em im­por­tant with Ni­co­le lying the­re . dying. Yes, I knew she was dying. She wo­uld ne­ver co­me back to us. That bo­he­mi­an li­fe ot­hers, li­ving in ele­gant sa­lons as mist­ress of one of the most po­wer­ful men in Fran­ce had en­ded in a Pa­ris stre­et and he­re she was in a hos­pi­tal for the po­or.
"Oh Ni­co­le," I sa­id.
"Dear Ni­co­le, you must get well. You must co­me back with us."
She smi­led at me and her eyes we­re al­re­ady be­co­ming gla­zed.
"It's fi­nis­hed," she sa­id.
"It's all over. I've be­en too badly hurt. I know it is the end. I'm glad you ca­me, Ka­te. I had to spe­ak to you .. be­fo­re I went. For­gi­ve him. The­re is go­od in him. You might find it."
"Don't talk of him."
"I must. I must ma­ke you see how it was. I lo­ved him... in my way. He lo­ved me ... in his way... the light way. Not as he wo­uld lo­ve you.
You co­uld put the go­od in him, Ka­te. Ple­ase try. "
"You sho­uldn't be thin­king of him, Ni­co­le. Ple­ase rest. You're go­ing to get well. How co­uld we get on wit­ho­ut you?"
"You for­gi­ve me ..."
"What is the­re to for­gi­ve? It is you who sho­uld for­gi­ve me. I kept you he­re. I sho­uld ha­ve ma­de you go with him. You knew that was right... and you wan­ted to. But I wo­uldn't go and be­ca­use ... Oh, Ni­co­le, how can I thank you for all you did for me?"
"He did it;
"No, Ni­co­le, you .. you."
"Please, Ka­te."
She was ple­ading with me and I knew she was dying.
I nod­ded my he­ad and saw her exp­res­si­on chan­ge. I think then she was at pe­ace.
She clo­sed her eyes. She was bre­at­hing with dif­fi­culty. I sat on. I fan­ci­ed my pre­sen­ce com­for­ted her. It must ha­ve be­en half an ho­ur be­fo­re her bre­at­hing chan­ged. She was ma­king ras­ping no­ises, trying to get her bre­ath.
I ran out to call so­me­one. I fo­und a nur­se and to­ok her to Ni­co­le's bed­si­de.
Nicole was si­lent now.
"She was badly hit," sa­id the nur­se.
"She hadn't a chan­ce."
Then she clo­sed Ni­co­le's eyes and put the she­et over her fa­ce.
I stumb­led out of the hos­pi­tal. I co­uld not ta­ke it in. Ni­co­le de­ad!
But that mor­ning she had be­en ali­ve and well. my de­arest fri­end, the one on whom I re­li­ed. And now she was go­ne. and all in an ho­ur or so.
Life was harsh, I had re­ason to know, but that tra­gedy co­uld co­me so swiftly had ne­ver oc­cur­red to me.
"May you ha­ve mo­re luck than you ha­ve go­od sen­se." co­uld he­ar his vo­ice now. He had co­me for us. He had ca­red for us . all the ti­me. It had not be­en fri­ends­hip which had promp­ted Ni­co­le to help me in the first pla­ce. It had be­en do­ne on his inst­ruc­ti­ons.
And now Ni­co­le was de­ad. How co­uld I tell Ken­dal that he wo­uld ne­ver see Ni­co­le aga­in? How co­uld I ever for­get that but for me she wo­uld not ha­ve be­en in Pa­ris. She wo­uld be ali­ve at this mo­ment.
The hor­ror of it all burst on me. Shots such as tho­se which had kil­led Ni­co­le co­uld ta­ke any of us at any ti­me. Oh God, I tho­ught. Ken­dal!
I ran as fast as I co­uld.
The ho­use was still the­re. I had half ex­pec­ted it to be dest­ro­yed.
War. We we­re at war. I had ne­ver tho­ught of be­ing in­vol­ved in war.
Now it had co­me with all its tra­gedy, its dest­ruc­ti­on, its ma­iming and kil­lings . its bre­aking up of li­ves.
I ran in­to the ho­use cal­ling "Je­an­ne! Ken­dal! Qu­ick. Whe­re are you?"
Jeanne ca­me run­ning to me. Her fa­ce was whi­te. She was cle­arly dist­ra­ught.
"Where is Ken­dal?" I as­ked.
She sa­id: "He's go­ne ... go­ne to sa­fety. The gent­le­man in the Gar­dens"
The ro­om se­emed to be spin­ning ro­und me. I felt sick with ap­pre­hen­si­on.
"He ca­me just af­ter you'd go­ne. He sa­id Pa­ris was no pla­ce for the boy. He was go­ing to ta­ke him away to sa­fety. I tri­ed ... but he just to­ok him."
"And Ken­dal..."
"He sa­id he wo­uldn't go wit­ho­ut his mot­her... but he was pic­ked up car­ri­ed away ..."
I co­ve­red my fa­ce with my hands. I sa­id: "This can't be true. He's ta­ken him to Cen­te­vil­le. I must go af­ter him. Oh Je­an­ne ... Ni­co­le is de­ad."
She sta­red at me.
"I ... I've be­en with her," I stam­me­red.
"And ... whi­le I was with her he ca­me and to­ok my son away. Je­an­ne I must go af­ter him. I know whe­re. Co­me with me. You can't stay he­re.
If you co­uld ha­ve se­en " How can we get to this pla­ce? "
"I don't know. But we must go at on­ce. Ta­ke all the mo­ney we can.
There is not a mo­ment to lo­se. We ha­ve to go af­ter him. "
I ran to my ro­om. I gat­he­red to­get­her all the mo­ney that was in the ho­use. I put on my clo­ak. Ac­ti­on, des­pe­ra­te ac­ti­on was the best way to li­ve thro­ugh a si­tu­ati­on li­ke this.
I went downs­ta­irs. Je­an­ne was al­re­ady the­re.
I cri­ed out: "Co­me then."
The do­or ope­ned and he was stan­ding the­re the Ba­ron him­self, hol­ding Ken­dal by the hand.
I ga­ve a cry of re­li­ef and ran to my son, kne­eling and emb­ra­cing him, clin­ging to him. He lo­oked be­wil­de­red but cle­arly sha­red my re­li­ef.
"There's not a mo­ment to lo­se," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"You are dres­sed.
Where is Ni­co­le? Go and tell her. "
I sta­red at him for a few se­conds unab­le to spe­ak.
"Hurry," he sho­uted.
"This city will be un­der si­ege in a few ho­urs .. per­haps it is al­re­ady.
Get Ni­co­le ... qu­ickly."
I sa­id: "Ni­co­le is de­ad. I ha­ve just left her."
"Dead!"
"She is in the hos­pi­tal. She was hit ... by this ... bom­bard­ment. I sta­yed with her un­til she di­ed."
He was stun­ned. I had ne­ver se­en him mo­ved by emo­ti­on be­fo­re.
"Nicole ... de­ad ..." I he­ard him mur­mur.
"You ... you're su­re?"
"I ha­ve just left her. That's whe­re I was. They sent for me ..."
I tur­ned away from him.
I he­ard him say: "She was a go­od wo­man ... the best..." And then he re­co­ve­red him­self.
"Come on. The­re's no ti­me to lo­se." He lo­oked at je­an­ne "You too. You can't stay he­re."
We went in­to the stre­ets. The­re was hardly an­yo­ne abo­ut. The bom­bard­ment had sent them all scur­rying in­to the­ir ho­uses.
He sa­id: "I ha­ve hor­ses ne­arby. We'll get away from he­re as fast as we can. Co­me now. Every mi­nu­te is im­por­tant."
We we­re at the top of the stre­et when I he­ard the se­cond exp­lo­si­on of the day.
I think that was the worst mo­ment of my li­fe. A bu­il­ding be­si­de us had be­en struck. Ti­me ap­pe­ared to slow down. I saw it stag­ger li­ke a drun­ken man; then it star­ted to crumb­le . slowly, and the fa­ca­de se­emed to slit­her to the gro­und. I saw . di­sas­ter. Ken­dal was sta­ring up at it as tho­ugh mes­me­ri­zed. I he­ard the Ba­ron sho­ut at him.
The boy tur­ned but was too la­te to mo­ve be­fo­re the­re was a vi­olent rumb­ling and the air was full of blin­ding dust.
Kendal was spraw­ling on the gro­und. I knew that that pi­le of bricks and rub­ble was abo­ut to fall on him. I ran . but the Ba­ron was ahe­ad of me. It was too la­te to pick up the boy . so he threw him­self on top of him for pro­tec­ti­on.
I scre­amed. I co­uld see not­hing for a se­cond or so be­ca­use of the blin­ding dust.
"Kendal," I cal­led des­pe­ra­tely.
Then I was kne­eling be­si­de them te­aring off the rub­ble.
There was blo­od on the Ba­ron's leg. I kept cal­ling Ken­dal.
Kendal craw­led out and sto­od be­fo­re me. I felt a crazy joy be­ca­use he ap­pe­ared to be un­hurt.
But the Ba­ron was lying the­re among the bricks and the dust. still and si­lent.
Jeanne, Ken­dal and I knelt down in the dust be­si­de the Ba­ron. His leg se­emed to be twis­ted un­der him. He was un­cons­ci­o­us and I tho­ught that he was de­ad. Stran­ge emo­ti­ons swept over me. I had se­en de­ath on­ce that mor­ning. But it co­uld not hap­pen to the Ba­ron. Ne­ver the Ba­ron.
He was in­dest­ruc­tib­le.
"We must get help at on­ce," I sa­id to je­an­ne Je­an­ne sto­od up. Pe­op­le we­re now co­ming out of the­ir ho­uses to see what da­ma­ge had be­en do­ne. We cal­led to them and so­on the­re was a lit­tle gro­up aro­und us. I co­uld not ta­ke my eyes from him lying the­re, inert, blo­od on his clot­hes, his usu­al­ly fresh co­lo­ured fa­ce de­athly pa­le, his eyes clo­sed. I was cons­ci­o­us of a ter­rib­le emp­ti­ness.
Nicole, my de­ar fri­end had go­ne for ever and that was a sad­ness which wo­uld ha­unt my li­fe. But I co­uld not ima­gi­ne a li­fe wit­ho­ut the Ba­ron, to re­mem­ber, to re­vi­le, to ha­te.
Someone had bro­ught out a lad­der and they put him on it using it as a stretc­her. They co­uld ta­ke him to the hos­pi­tal they sa­id.
I rep­li­ed on im­pul­se: "Bring him to my ho­use. I can lo­ok af­ter him the­re. And go and get a doc­tor ... qu­ickly ... qu­ickly ..."
He was car­ri­ed in­to the ho­use. Ken­dal clung to my hand.
"Is he de­ad?" he as­ked.
"No," I ans­we­red fi­er­cely.
"No... he can't be de­ad. Not the Ba­ron."
That was the be­gin­ning of the si­ege of Pa­ris, the most tra­gic and hu­mi­li­ating pe­ri­od of that gre­at city's his­tory.
I ga­ve lit­tle tho­ught to the war du­ring the next day. My mind was so­lely on my pa­ti­ent. The doc­tor had co­me. Part of the bo­ne in the Ba­ron's right leg had be­en crus­hed. He might be ab­le to walk aga­in per­haps with the aid of a stick. His vi­tal or­gans we­re un­da­ma­ged and strong and the loss of blo­od and the shock had not be­en too gre­at for him; he wo­uld re­co­ver and be ab­le to re­su­me a rest­ric­ted way of li­fe.
I sat by his bed thro­ug­ho­ut that first night. He was un­cons­ci­o­us then and we we­re at that ti­me un­cer­ta­in how much da­ma­ge had be­en do­ne. I was glad they had not ta­ken him in­to the hos­pi­tal. They had ot­her vic­tims of the bom­bard­ments the­re and we­re pre­pa­ring for a rush of ca­su­al­ti­es so the­re was no pres­su­re to send him. I sa­id I co­uld nur­se him with the help of je­an­ne and the doc­tor was only too glad that I sho­uld do so.
He sho­wed me how to dress the leg. The wo­und ap­pal­led me. The­re was con­si­de­rab­le pa­in, I knew, but the Ba­ron bo­re that with the for­ti­tu­de I wo­uld ex­pect of him.
I had, with je­an­ne help, mo­ved the beds down so that we we­re all on one flo­or and not too far from each ot­her. I had a ter­rib­le fe­ar that I might be se­pa­ra­ted from Ken­dal.
Every so­und ma­de us start for we fe­ared that the bom­bard­ment wo­uld be­gin aga­in, but it did not and the stre­ets we­re qu­i­et.
It was a stran­ge night that first one sit­ting by his bed. I co­uld not be­li­eve that only the night be­fo­re I had slept in my bed with Ni­co­le in her ro­om and Ken­dal sa­fe in his.
My gre­at fe­ar was for Ken­dal. I li­ved aga­in and aga­in that ter­rib­le mo­ment when I had tho­ught the bu­il­ding was go­ing to col­lap­se on him.
And, if the Ba­ron had not thrown him­self upon him, if he had not pro­tec­ted him . my small child wo­uld su­rely ha­ve be­en crus­hed to de­ath.
It was stran­ge what I owed this man. All my hu­mi­li­ati­on, my su­bj­ec­ti­on and now. my son's li­fe.
I kept he­aring Ni­co­le's vo­ice.
"There is go­od in him. You can find it.
Yes, I had fo­und so­met­hing go­od al­re­ady. He had co­me to ta­ke us away . ris­king his li­fe to do so, as it was now pro­ved. He had sa­ved my son's li­fe.
I sat the­re thro­ugh the dark­ness of the night. I did not light a cand­le. Ni­co­le had sa­id so­me days be­fo­re that we must pre­ser­ve the cand­les . we must pre­ser­ve everyt­hing. The­re was cer­ta­in to be a shor­ta­ge.
So I sat the­re and watc­hed the dawn co­me whi­le I lo­oked down on the con­to­urs of his sle­eping fa­ce. A cer­ta­in co­lo­ur had re­tur­ned to it and it no lon­ger had that lo­ok of de­ath on it. He was bre­at­hing mo­re easily. I knew that he wo­uld li­ve and I felt a gre­at glad­ness in my he­art.
I clo­sed my eyes and I tho­ught: Too much is hap­pe­ning in too short a ti­me. De­ath is al­ways clo­se, I sup­po­se, but at ti­mes li­ke this it co­mes ne­arer. Ni­co­le had al­ways se­emed so ali­ve . and then sud­denly, wal­king along a stre­et, she is struck down . and that is the end. And the Ba­ron! It co­uld so easily ha­ve hap­pe­ned to him.
It was war. I had brus­hed it asi­de, shown lit­tle in­te­rest in it.
Stupid wars which men fo­ught to amu­se them­sel­ves, for no one ever ca­me well out of war. And pe­op­le di­ed . one's lo­ved ones went in­to the stre­et and that was the end.
I ope­ned my eyes. He was lo­oking at me.
"Kate," he sa­id.
I le­aned over him.
"How do you fe­el?"
"Strange," he sa­id.
"Very stran­ge ..."
"It was the bom­bard­ment. A wall fell on you."
"I re­mem­ber." Then qu­ickly: "The boy?"
"He's un­har­med."
"Thank God."
"Thank you, too," I sa­id.
A smi­le to­uc­hed his lips and he clo­sed his eyes.
I felt the te­ars in my own. I tho­ught: He will get well. Yes, he is in­dest­ruc­tib­le.
I was glad he was with us. Even lying in a bed mo­re de­ad than ali­ve he bro­ught a fe­eling of se­cu­rity.
Kendal had slip­ped in­to the ro­om. I held out my hand and he ran to me.
"Is he as­le­ep?"
I nod­ded.
"Is he very hurt?"
"I think he might be."
"Do you think he wo­uld li­ke to co­me to the Gar­dens and fly my orif­lam­me ki­te to­mor­row?"
"Not to­mor­row," I sa­id.
"But per­haps ... one day."
There was an un­re­ality abo­ut the days which fol­lo­wed. My tho­ughts we­re en­ti­rely ta­ken up with nur­sing the Ba­ron, which was the ma­in pre­oc­cu­pa­ti­on of our days. It was a gre­at re­li­ef when the bom­bard­ment stop­ped and the days we­re qu­i­et, tho­ugh omi­no­usly so. The Ba­ron spent most of tho­se first days in sle­ep. The doc­tor had gi­ven me so­met­hing to ma­ke him do so and he had ta­ught me how to dress the wo­und. He was an ear­nest yo­ung man, very con­cer­ned abo­ut the si­tu­ati­on.
"We we­re ex­pec­ting a rush of ca­su­al­ti­es," he sa­id, 'but I think the enemy re­ali­zes tho­se sort of tac­tics don't work so well. They can bat­ter the town but Pa­ris is a big pla­ce and if the pe­op­le see the­ir city at­tac­ked they be­co­me stub­born. The­se Prus­si­ans know how to con­duct a war and my vi­ew is that they will try to star­ve us in­to sur­ren­der. "
"A grim pros­pect."
"For Pa­ris ... yes. Tho­se Bo­na­par­tes ha­ve a gre­at de­al to ans­wer for."
He was a stern re­pub­li­can but I co­uldn't ca­re abo­ut po­li­tics, and I was gra­te­ful for what he did for me.
Jeanne was a won­der­ful help. She went out every mor­ning to see what she co­uld buy and it was the ex­ci­te­ment of the day to lo­ok thro­ugh her shop­ping bas­ket when she re­tur­ned. We had a con­si­de­rab­le amo­unt of flo­ur in the ho­use so we we­re ab­le to ba­ke bre­ad which wo­uld ke­ep us go­ing for so­me ti­me if everyt­hing el­se fa­iled.
I to­ok Ken­dal for a walk in the af­ter­no­ons whi­le Je­an­ne re­ma­ined at ho­me in ca­se the Ba­ron wan­ted anyt­hing. I ne­ver went far from the ho­use and I wo­uld not let Ken­dal out of my sight.
I exp­la­ined to him what had hap­pe­ned to Ni­co­le. He was an ext­re­mely in­tel­li­gent child and on­ce aga­in I was ama­zed by the man­ner in which child­ren adapt them­sel­ves to cir­cums­tan­ces. He se­emed to grasp the fact that the­re had be­en a war which the French had lost and be­ca­use of this we we­re now li­ving in a be­si­eged city.
There was pi­ti­ful­ly lit­tle to see in the shops. Qu­ite a lot of the pro­du­ce sold in Pa­ris ca­me from the sur­ro­un­ding vil­la­ges. We had of­ten he­ard them trund­ling in in the early ho­urs of the mor­ning on the way to Les Hal­les. They had co­me from all di­rec­ti­ons. Now no one ca­me in­to Pa­ris and no one went out.
The days had set­tled in­to a ro­uti­ne which se­emed par­ti­cu­larly qu­i­et.
It was an omi­no­us mo­no­tony be­ca­use not­hing stays still for long in a si­ege.
The Ba­ron was re­ga­ining his strength. His leg was still in a sorry sta­te but his cons­ti­tu­ti­on was just abo­ut as strong as a man's co­uld be and he was fast re­co­ve­ring from the shock and loss of blo­od.
Now he co­uld sit up. I prop­ped his leg up with pil­lows and I fo­und a stick which he co­uld use when he hob­bled abo­ut. But even the shor­test walk was such an ef­fort at first that he wo­uld col­lap­se ex­ha­us­ted af­ter a few mi­nu­tes.
It was stran­ge to see him strip­ped of that strength which had be­en so much a part of him.
"You're li­ke Sam­son," I told him, 'shorn of his locks. "
"Remember," he sa­id, 'his ha­ir grew aga­in. "
"Yes. And you will re­ga­in yo­ur strength."
"And be a crip­ple?"
"You're for­tu­na­te. It co­uld ha­ve be­en wor­se."
"It might ha­ve be­en bet­ter too," he ad­ded iro­ni­cal­ly.
"You are thin­king that if I had not stub­bornly re­fu­sed to le­ave Pa­ris when you first as­ked, this wo­uld not ha­ve hap­pe­ned to you. Ni­co­le wo­uld be he­re ..." My vo­ice bro­ke and he sa­id: "We all ma­ke mis­ta­kes so­me­ti­mes."
"Even you," I sa­id, with a flash of the old en­mity.
"Yes," he sa­id, 'alas, even I. "
Our re­la­ti­ons­hip had chan­ged. That was ine­vi­tab­le. He was the pa­ti­ent;
I was the nur­se; and we we­re li­ving in a si­tu­ati­on char­ged with dan­ger.
We did not know from one mo­ment to the next when de­ath wo­uld co­me to cla­im us.
My gre­at ho­pe was that I sho­uld not be left and that if de­ath ca­me it wo­uld ta­ke me and not Ken­dal or the Ba­ron. I used to lie awa­ke and think: If I we­re ta­ken he wo­uld lo­ok af­ter Ken­dal. He ca­res for him.
He sa­ved his li­fe. I sho­uld ha­te to think of my son's be­ing bro­ught up to be such anot­her as he is, but he wo­uld sa­ve him and he lo­ves him.
So ple­ase God, don't ta­ke them and le­ave me.
There we­re no ser­vants now. They had left be­fo­re Ni­co­le di­ed. So­me of them had had the wis­dom to get out of the city. They we­re co­untry girls who had ho­mes to go to. So the­re we­re just myself, Ken­dal, the Ba­ron and Je­an­ne. The con­ci­er­ge and his wi­fe we­re in the­ir apart­ments, but they kept very much to them­sel­ves.
I spent a gre­at de­al of ti­me with the Ba­ron. When I ca­me in­to the ro­om whe­re he lay I no­ti­ced the ple­asu­re which sho­wed in his eyes.
Sometimes he sa­id: "You've be­en a long ti­me."
Then I wo­uld reply: "You don't ne­ed cons­tant ca­re now. You're get­ting bet­ter. I ha­ve ot­her things to do, you know."
I spo­ke to him li­ke that, with a to­uch of as­pe­rity just as I used to.
I don't think he wan­ted it to chan­ge and nor did I. "Sit down the­re," he wo­uld say.
"Talk to me. Tell me what the mad­men are do­ing now."
Then I wo­uld tell him what I had le­ar­ned of the war, that the Prus­si­ans we­re sur­ro­un­ding Pa­ris and even pe­net­ra­ting the north of the co­untry.
"They'll ta­ke the towns," he sa­id.
"They won't bot­her abo­ut pla­ces li­ke Cen­te­vil­le."
Then I told him go­ods had al­most di­sap­pe­ared from the shops and it was go­ing to be dif­fi­cult to fe­ed our­sel­ves if it went on li­ke this.
"And you ha­ve sad­dled yo­ur­self with anot­her mo­uth to fe­ed."
"I owe you that," I sa­id, 'and I li­ke to pay my debts. "
"So the ba­lan­ce has chan­ged. You are on the de­bit si­de now."
"No," I rep­li­ed.
"But you sa­ved my son's li­fe and for that I will lo­ok af­ter you un­til you are well eno­ugh to stand on yo­ur own fe­et."
He tri­ed to ta­ke my hand but I withd­rew it.
"And that ot­her lit­tle mis­de­me­ano­ur?" he as­ked.
"That act of sa­va­gery? No, that is still outs­tan­ding."
"I will try to earn a re­mis­si­on of my sins," he sa­id humbly. That was how our con­ver­sa­ti­on was- much as it had al­ways be­en, alt­ho­ugh now and then a light and ban­te­ring no­te wo­uld bre­ak in.
He was get­ting bet­ter. The leg was he­aling and he co­uld spend lon­ger wal­king abo­ut the ho­use wit­ho­ut ex­ha­us­ting him­self. But in the af­ter­no­ons I used to in­sist on his res­ting whi­le I to­ok Ken­dal out for a walk, le­aving Je­an­ne in char­ge. He was al­ways watc­hing the do­or for my re­turn.
"I wish you wo­uldn't ta­ke tho­se af­ter­no­on ramb­les," he sa­id.
"We ha­ve to go out so­me­ti­mes. I ne­ver go far from the ho­use."
"I am in a sta­te of an­xi­ety un­til you re­turn and that is not go­od for me. Every nur­se worthy of the na­me knows that pa­ti­ents sho­uld not be su­bj­ec­ted to an­xi­ety. It im­pe­des re­co­very."
"I'm sorry you don't think I'm worthy to be a nur­se."
"Kate," he sa­id, 'co­me and sit down. I think you are worthy to be anyt­hing you want to be. I'm go­ing to tell you so­met­hing ext­ra­or­di­nary. Do you know . he­re I am in­ca­pa­ci­ta­ted, pro­bably abo­ut to be crip­pled for li­fe, in a be­si­eged city, lying in a ro­om with de­ath lo­oking in at the win­dow, now kno­wing from one mo­ment to the next what di­re tra­gedy will des­cend on me . and I'm happy. I think I am hap­pi­er than I ha­ve ever be­en in my li­fe. "
"Then yo­urs must ha­ve be­en a very wretc­hed exis­ten­ce."
"Not wretc­hed ... worth­less. That's it."
"And you think this is worthw­hi­le ... lying he­re ... re­cu­pe­ra­ting . do­ing not­hing but eating when we can get so­met­hing to eat... and tal­king to me."
"That's just the po­int. It's tal­king to you ... ha­ving you ne­ar .. watc­hing over me li­ke a gu­ar­di­an an­gel ... not al­lo­wing me to stay up too long ... brin­ging my gru­el ... this is the stran­gest thing that has ever hap­pe­ned to me."
"Such si­tu­ati­ons ha­ve not be­en fre­qu­ent in my li­fe eit­her."
"Kate, it me­ans so­met­hing."
"Oh?"
"That I'm happy... hap­pi­er than I've ever be­en... be­ing he­re with you."
"If you we­re well eno­ugh," I re­min­ded him, 'you wo­uld get yo­ur­self a hor­se and be out of the city in an ho­ur. "
"It wo­uld ta­ke a lit­tle lon­ger than that. And the­re won't be any hor­ses left so­on. They'll be eating them."
I shi­ve­red.
"They ha­ve to eat so­met­hing," he went on.
"But what we­re we sa­ying?
I'd be out of this city with you and the boy. and we sho­uld ta­ke Je­an­ne, of co­ur­se. But the­se days . the­re has be­en so­met­hing very pre­ci­o­us abo­ut them for me. "
"Well, you ha­ve re­ali­zed that you'll be ab­le to walk aga­in one day."
"Dragging one fo­ot be­hind me, per­haps."
"Better that than not wal­king at all."
"I know all this and yet it's the hap­pi­est ti­me of my li­fe. How can you exp­la­in that?"
"I don't think it ne­eds an exp­la­na­ti­on be­ca­use it's not true. The hap­pi­est ti­mes of yo­ur li­fe we­re when you we­re tri­ump­hing over yo­ur ene­mi­es."
"My enemy now is the pa­in in this ac­cur­sed leg."
"And you are tri­ump­hing over that," I sa­id.
"Then why am I so con­ten­ted with li­fe?"
"Because you be­li­eve you are the gre­at man and that no harm can pos­sibly co­me to you. The gods of yo­ur Nor­se an­ces­tors are se­e­ing to that. If an­yo­ne at­temp­ted to harm you, old Thor wo­uld flash his thun­der at them or throw his ham­mer and if that co­uldn't sa­ve you Odin, the All-Fat­her, wo­uld say, " He­re co­mes one of our cho­sen he­ro­es.
Let's warm up Val­hal­la for him. "
"Do you know, Ka­te, you are so of­ten right that I ce­ase to mar­vel every ti­me you disp­lay yo­ur un­ders­tan­ding."
"Good. Shall I dress yo­ur leg?"
"No, not yet. Sit down and talk."
I sat down and lo­oked at him.
"How stran­ge," he sa­id, 'when you think of our be­ing to­get­her in that to­wer bed­ro­om. Oh, what a ti­me that was. What an ex­hi­la­ra­ting ad­ven­tu­re. "
"It was so­met­hing less than that for me."
"I ha­ve ne­ver for­got­ten it."
"Nor," I sa­id po­in­tedly, 'ha­ve I. "
"Kate."
"Yes?"
"When I was lying he­re in the be­gin­ning, I watc­hed you. I pre­ten­ded to be una­wa­re ..."
"I wo­uld ex­pect such sub­ter­fu­ge from you."
"You se­emed to watch over me ... ten­derly."
"You we­re hurt."
"Yes, but I tho­ught I de­tec­ted a spe­ci­al ca­ring... a spe­ci­al in­vol­ve­ment. Did I?"
"I re­mem­be­red that you sa­ved my son's li­fe."
"Oar son, Ka­te."
I was si­lent for a whi­le and he went on: "I'm in lo­ve with you."
"You ... in lo­ve! That's not pos­sib­le- un­less it is with yo­ur­self, of co­ur­se, but that is a lo­ve-affa­ir of such long stan­ding that it calls for no spe­ci­al men­ti­on. In fact it is su­perf­lu­o­us to com­ment on it."
"I lo­ve to be with you, Ka­te. I lo­ve the way you slap me down all the ti­me. I enj­oy it. It sti­mu­la­tes me. You are dif­fe­rent from an­yo­ne I ha­ve ever known. Ka­te, the gre­at ar­tist who is so eager that I sho­uld know she pre­tends to des­pi­se me. Pre­tends... that is the who­le po­int.
In yo­ur he­art, you know you li­ke me ... qu­ite a lot."
"I am gra­te­ful that you sa­ved Ken­dal, as I ha­ve told you many ti­mes. I ap­pre­ci­ate the fact that you ca­me to ta­ke him out of the city."
"To ta­ke you too. I sho­uldn't ha­ve go­ne wit­ho­ut you. I co­uld ha­ve got cle­ar of the city ... if I had not wa­ited for you."
"You ca­me for the boy."
"I ca­me for you both. You don't think I wo­uld ha­ve ta­ken him and left you. I just want you to know that I co­uld not ha­ve do­ne that."
I was si­lent.
"You worry a gre­at de­al abo­ut that boy, don't you?"
I nod­ded.
"He's a na­tu­ral sur­vi­vor. He's my son. He'll co­me thro­ugh ... as we all shall."
"I fe­ar that so­met­hing will hap­pen to me. Yes, I fe­ar that ter­ribly.
What wo­uld be­co­me of him then? It is my ma­in worry. What is hap­pe­ning to the child­ren of tho­se who ha­ve be­en kil­led . or die of star­va­ti­on?
"
"There is no ne­ed to worry abo­ut Ken­dal. I ha­ve ma­de ar­ran­ge­ments."
"What ar­ran­ge­ments?"
"I ha­ve ma­de pro­vi­si­on for him."
"When did you do that?"
"When I saw him, when I as­su­red myself that he was my son, I ar­ran­ged that he sho­uld be well pro­vi­ded for wha­te­ver hap­pe­ned."
"What of this co­untry? What will hap­pen to it? What hap­pens when co­unt­ri­es are over­run by the­ir ene­mi­es? Will what you hzve do­ne be worth anyt­hing if Fran­ce is a be­aten na­ti­on?"
"I ha­ve ma­de ar­ran­ge­ments both in Pa­ris and in Lon­don. Af­ter all, he is half Eng­lish."
"You ha­ve re­al­ly do­ne this!"
"You lo­ok at me as tho­ugh you re­gard me as so­me sort of ma­gi­ci­an. I may be in yo­ur eyes, Ka­te, but the­se ar­ran­ge­ments are com­monp­la­ce.
They can be ma­de by any man of bu­si­ness. I ha­ve se­en the way things we­re go­ing he­re. I had ma­de plans to le­ave for a whi­le, but I wan­ted to ta­ke you and the boy with me. Ho­we­ver, that fa­iled. But at le­ast. if the boy we­re left wit­ho­ut eit­her of us, the­re wo­uld be pe­op­le in Lon­don who wo­uld find him and he wo­uld be lo­oked af­ter. "
I co­uld not spe­ak. Even lying the­re he exu­ded po­wer. I had the fe­eling that whi­le he was the­re all wo­uld be well with us.
"You are ple­ased with me," he sa­id.
"It was go­od of you ... kind of you."
"Oh, co­me, Ka­te, my own son! I al­ways wan­ted a boy li­ke that. He sa­tis­fi­es me... comp­le­tely, as you do."
"I am glad you ha­ve so­me re­gard for him."
"One day he may be a gre­at ar­tist. He will get that from you. From me he will get his hand­so­me lo­oks ..." He pa­used wa­iting for com­ment, but I ga­ve no­ne. I was too mo­ved to spe­ak.
"His hand­so­me lo­oks," he went on, 'and his de­ter­mi­na­ti­on to get what he ne­eds . his for­ce, his strength of pur­po­se. "
"None of which qu­ali­ti­es co­uld co­me from anyw­he­re el­se," I sa­id with a moc­kery tin­ged with gent­le­ness. He had lif­ted a gre­at bur­den from my sho­ul­ders.
He sa­id: "Had you be­en he­re when I ca­me I wo­uld ha­ve got you out of Pa­ris. I had plan­ned to ta­ke us all... you, the boy' Ni­co­le . and of co­ur­se the go­ver­ness. Po­or Ni­co­le ..."
I sa­id: "You lo­ved her."
"She was a go­od wo­man ... a go­od fri­end to me. We un­ders­to­od each ot­her. It is hard to be­li­eve that she is de­ad."
"You ha­ve known her a long ti­me."
"Since she was eigh­te­en. My fat­her did not want me to marry yo­ung. He cho­se a mist­ress for me. He wan­ted to ma­ke su­re that I ma­de the right mar­ri­age. He put gre­at sto­re in the ca­lib­re of the of­fsp­ring."
"Like bre­eding hor­ses?"
"You co­uld say that. All the sa­me, the prin­cip­le ap­pli­es."
"Nicole, I pre­su­me, had not the ne­ces­sary po­ints?"
"Nicole was a be­a­uti­ful and cle­ver wo­man. She had be­en mar­ri­ed to a bank clerk. My pa­rents ar­ran­ged the me­eting with her mot­her. We li­ked each ot­her and it tur­ned out to be a very sa­tis­fac­tory re­la­ti­ons­hip."
"Satisfactory for you and yo­ur cal­cu­la­ting fa­mily, per­haps. What of "
She ne­ver ga­ve any sign that she was not sa­tis­fi­ed with the ar­ran­ge­ment. It is the way things are ma­na­ged in Fran­ce in fa­mi­li­es li­ke ours. The ne­ces­sity of a mist­ress was un­ders­to­od and one was pro­vi­ded. It was mar­ri­age which was the se­ri­o­us qu­es­ti­on. "
"So that is how to ma­ke a per­fect mar­ri­age. It didn't work in yo­ur ca­se, did it?"
"It's so­met­hing you le­arn as you get ol­der. You can ma­ke plans but you for­get that when you are de­aling with pe­op­le you can go wrong."
"So you ha­ve le­ar­ned that at last."
"Yes, at last I ha­ve le­ar­ned it."
"You tho­ught the blo­od of prin­ces wo­uld en­han­ce the fa­mily stra­in." I la­ug­hed.
"It's a mat­ter of opi­ni­on, of co­ur­se. And you are cle­arly not sa­tis­fi­ed with yo­ur mar­ri­age ... ro­yal blo­od tho­ugh the­re is."
"I am comp­le­tely dis­sa­tis­fi­ed with my mar­ri­age. I think of­ten of how I can end it. Lying he­re, I ha­ve be­en thin­king a gre­at de­al abo­ut that.
If ever I get out of this pla­ce, I shall do so­met­hing. I shall not spend the rest of my li­fe . shack­led.
Don't you ag­ree that I sho­uld be a fo­ol to let things stay as they are?
"
"I can't see how you can do anyt­hing el­se. You plan­ned and yo­ur plans went wrong. You tho­ught yo­ur Prin­ces­se was a pup­pet to be pic­ked up and put in a cer­ta­in pla­ce at yo­ur will. Her duty was to supply a lit­tle blue blo­od to the gre­at Cen­te­vil­le stre­am .. tho­ugh I sho­uld ha­ve tho­ught-in yo­ur opi­ni­on at le­ast- no ro­yal blo­od co­uld com­pa­re in worth with that of bar­ba­ri­an Nor­se­men. Ho­we­ver, you pic­ked her and put her whe­re you wan­ted her- and lo, you ha­ve dis­co­ve­red that she is not a pup­pet. She is a warm, li­ving hu­man be­ing who, ha­ving no wish to ma­ke the do­na­ti­on of ro­yal blo­od her mis­si­on in li­fe, tur­ned to so­me­one el­se who ple­ased her bet­ter than the bar­ba­ri­an Ba­ron. The­re is only one thing to be do­ne now. As we say in Eng­land: You ha­ve ma­de yo­ur bed.
Now you must lie on it."
"That is not my way. You sho­uld know that well eno­ugh by now."
"If things don't ple­ase you the way they are, you set abo­ut chan­ging them. That is it, is it?"
"Yes, Ka­te."
"Well then, what will you do? The­re wo­uld ha­ve to be a dis­pen­sa­ti­on, wo­uldn't the­re, to an­nul the mar­ri­age?"
"On the gro­unds ot­her adul­tery it sho­uld be easy."
I burst out la­ug­hing.
"I am glad I amu­se you," he sa­id.
"Oh, you do. Her adul­tery. You must ad­mit that is very funny.
Besides, is it adul­tery? She had her lo­ver be­fo­re her mar­ri­age. She did tho­ugh in a mo­re hu­man, ci­vi­li­zed man­ner what you ha­ve do­ne many ti­mes, I am su­re. And you talk abo­ut di­vor­cing her for adul­tery. You see why you ma­ke me la­ugh."
He was si­lent for a whi­le. Then he sa­id: "Ka­te ... if we co­uld go back to that ti­me when we we­re to­get­her .. do you know what I wo­uld do? I wo­uld marry you."
I la­ug­hed, but I was in­wardly ple­ased, tho­ugh I wo­uld not let him know it if I co­uld help it.
"How?" I sa­id.
"You can't exactly for­ce a wo­man to ta­ke mar­ri­age vows.
It isn't as easy as ra­pe, you know. That's just a mat­ter of physi­cal strength. "
"You wo­uld ha­ve ag­re­ed."
"I sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve ag­re­ed."
"I so­me­ti­mes think of it. In fact, lying he­re, I've tho­ught of it a gre­at de­al. Mar­ri­ed to Ka­te! That boy ack­now­led­ged as my son! We'd ha­ve ot­hers too, Ka­te. I see what I ought to ha­ve do­ne."
"They wo­uld not ha­ve had the blue blo­od which you we­re af­ter."
"They wo­uld ha­ve be­en part of you ... and part of me. That's what I dre­am of. That's what I want mo­re than anyt­hing in the world." I sto­od up and he went on: "What do you say? Whe­re are you go­ing?"
I sa­id: "It is ti­me to dress yo­ur leg and I am go­ing to get the dres­sing."
He lo­oked at me with his he­ad on one si­de. He was la­ug­hing at me, but so­me­how I knew that he had me­ant what he had sa­id I felt sud­denly very nappy.
The win­ter was on us and it se­emed par­ti­cu­larly se­ve­re. We had plenty of wo­od to ma­ke a fi­re but we watc­hed it ca­re­ful­ly, ra­ti­oning our­sel­ves every day. The cold was mo­re be­arab­le than the lack of fo­od.
We we­re ab­le to wrap our­sel­ves in fur rugs and bed co­ve­rings and we all hud­dled to­get­her in that ro­om in which the Ba­ron lay. He ne­eded to rest his leg a go­od de­al. It was im­pos­sib­le to get me­di­cal at­ten­ti­on.
I did not see the doc­tor now. He had ce­ased to co­me and I won­de­red what had hap­pe­ned to him.
There was ri­oting oc­ca­si­onal­ly in the stre­ets and I did not go out.
The Ba­ron beg­ged me not to and I did not want to ica­ve Ken­dal nor ta­ke him with me. I was ter­ri­fi­ed of what might hap­pen to him.
He was a won­der­ful­ly in­tel­li­gent child and he un­ders­to­od that we we­re be­si­eged and what that me­ant. The Ba­ron had exp­la­ined to him. The boy wo­uld sit on the bed and lis­ten not only to an exp­la­na­ti­on of the pre­sent si­tu­ati­on but to ta­les of the past glo­ri­es of ma­ra­uding Nor­se­men. He lo­ved such sto­ri­es and wo­uld eagerly ask qu­es­ti­ons, and when so­me of the sto­ri­es we­re re­pe­ated- for he of­ten as­ked for them aga­in and aga­in- if the­re was a di­ver­gen­ce from the first ver­si­on, he wo­uld im­me­di­ately po­int it out. They we­re very happy to­get­her, tho­se two.
Later when I he­ard what was hap­pe­ning in the city I re­ali­zed how for­tu­na­te we we­re. Je­an­ne was a won­der­ful as­set to the ho­use­hold. She wo­uld go out oc­ca­si­onal­ly and so­me­ti­mes co­me back with a lit­tle fo­od . so­me po­ta­to­es or ot­her ve­ge­tab­les . so­me wi­ne . We still had so­me flo­ur left. How I had re­ason to bless Ni­co­le's ca­re­ful ho­use­ke­eping!
She had be­en in­te­res­ted in the kitc­hen, for she had lo­ved en­ter­ta­ining and had al­ways se­en that the­re was a go­od supply in the lar­ders of the sort of fo­od which co­uld be kept. Thus, alt­ho­ugh we scar­cely had a ha­ven of plenty, we did ha­ve so­met­hing to eat du­ring tho­se first three months.
There was no way out of the city and no way in. The fron­ti­ers we­re gu­ar­ded, and the only com­mu­ni­ca­ti­on with the rest of the co­untry was do­ne by me­ans of car­ri­er pi­ge­ons, Je­an­ne told me.
She was bra­ve, and I think she un­der­to­ok her fo­ra­ges in­to the city in an ad­ven­tu­o­us spi­rit.
So we pas­sed thro­ugh tho­se months.
December ca­me and as far as we knew the­re was no sign of the bre­aking of the si­ege. The win­ter lay be­fo­re us. The days we­re dark. Thro­ugh the win­dows we saw the snow fal­ling and the­re was hus­hed si­len­ce everyw­he­re.
Jeanne ca­me back one day with a pi­ece of sal­ted pork.
"In the Ana­nas Inn," she told us. I re­mem­be­red the pla­ce with the pi­ne­ap­ple sign out­si­de. It was only a few stre­ets from the ho­use.
The in­nke­eper had be­en a fri­end of hers, she exp­la­ined. Oc­ca­si­onal­ly at a high cost he let her ha­ve so­met­hing. The Ba­ron had plently of mo­ney but the irony of it was that pe­op­le did not want mo­ney no­wa­days.
What they wan­ted was fo­od.
We wo­uld ha­ve the pork on Christ­mas Day, I sa­id. We sho­uld ha­ve a re­al fe­ast. Af­ter li­ving on bre­ad and wi­ne for se­ve­ral we­eks that wo­uld in­de­ed be a tre­at.
That Christ­mas will stand out fo­re­ver in my mind. A cold dark day.
Jeanne ligh­ted the fi­re early as a spe­ci­al tre­at and we gat­he­red in the Ba­ron's ro­om.
I am su­re fo­od had ne­ver- or ever has sin­ce- tas­ted so go­od to me as that hard salt pork. It is in­de­ed true that hun­ger se­asons all dis­hes.
We tal­ked and Ken­dal re­cal­led last Christ­mas Eve when we had had a party with a lot of gu­ests. He had got out of bed and watc­hed. The la­di­es all had pretty dres­ses and they had all la­ug­hed and dan­ced and the­re was mu­sic.
"Well," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"Paris was not un­der si­ege then."
"How long will it be?" as­ked Ken­dal.
"Ah, that is a qu­es­ti­on I can­not ans­wer. It can't last, tho­ugh. So­on we shall all be re­j­o­icing. The­re'll be bon­fi­res in the stre­ets."
We lo­oked at the po­or lit­tle wo­od fi­re strug­gling in the gra­te.
"Last ye­ar we ga­ve pre­sents to each ot­her," sa­id Ken­dal.
"We'll gi­ve pre­sents to each ot­her this ye­ar," the Ba­ron rep­li­ed.
"Can we?" cri­ed Ken­dal ex­ci­tedly.
"Well, just see them ... in yo­ur mind's eyes. How wo­uld that do?"
"Oh yes, let's," cri­ed Ken­dal.
"What will you gi­ve me, Ba­ron?"
"Guess."
He tri­ed to think and the Ba­ron sa­id: "All right. I'll tell. It's a pony ... a pony of yo­ur own. A whi­te pony."
"Where shall I ri­de him?"
"In the fi­elds."
"There aren't any fi­elds he­re."
"Then we'll go whe­re the­re are fi­elds."
"Shall I just sit on it?"
"Just at first you'll ha­ve to ha­ve a le­ading re­in."
"What's that?"
The Ba­ron told him.
"What's his na­me?" as­ked Ken­dal.
"Ponies ha­ve to ha­ve na­mes, don't they?"
"You will cho­ose his na­me."
Kendal tho­ught for a whi­le. Then he le­aned to­wards the Ba­ron and put­ting his arms ro­und his neck whis­pe­red in his ear.
"Would that do?" he as­ked.
"I think it might do very well."
"After all," sa­id Ken­dal, 'you ga­ve it to me and that's yo­ur re­al na­me, isn't it? "
"It is, and now it is the pony's. Ha, Rol­lo! The best and most be­a­uti­ful pony in Fran­ce."
Kendal smi­led blis­sful­ly. I knew he co­uld see him­self gal­lo­ping thro­ugh fi­elds.
He stop­ped sud­denly and sa­id: "You ha­ven't gi­ven the ot­hers anyt­hing."
"No. We we­re so ta­ken up with yo­ur pony. Well.. Je­an­ne ... what shall I gi­ve her?"
Kendal whis­pe­red to him.
"Yes, that will do very well. Co­me he­re, Je­an­ne. I shall pin it on yo­ur bo­di­ce."
"It's a be­a­uti­ful bro­och," cri­ed Ken­dal.
"Of co­ur­se it is," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"It's ma­de of di­amonds and eme­ralds. That will su­it je­an­ne very well."
"Thank you. Thank you," sa­id je­an­ne pla­ying the ga­me to per­fec­ti­on.

"I

never tho­ught to ha­ve such a bro­och in all my days. "
"And now Ma­man," sa­id Ken­dal.
"What ha­ve you got for her? It sho­uld be so­met­hing very ni­ce."
"Oh, it is," sa­id the Ba­ron. He to­ok my hand and went thro­ugh the mo­ti­ons of put­ting a ring on my fin­ger.
"There!" he sa­id.
"Isn't that mag­ni­fi­cent. That's a fa­mily he­ir­lo­om."
"Is it re­al gold?" as­ked Ken­dal.
"As re­al as can be. And the blue sto­ne ... that is a sap­phi­re. The fi­nest sap­phi­re in the world. The ot­hers are di­amonds. The ring has be­en in my fa­mily for ge­ne­ra­ti­ons. It is han­ded down thro­ugh the ye­ars."
"Do they gi­ve it to the bri­des?" as­ked Ken­dal.
"That's right," cri­ed the Ba­ron as tho­ugh in won­der.
"How did you know?"
"I just did, " sa­id Ken­dal, lo­oking wi­se.
"Does that ma­ke my Ma­man .. "
He was lo­oking at the Ba­ron eagerly. No one spo­ke for a few se­conds.
Kendal went on: "Then," he sa­id rat­her shyly, 'you'd be my fat­her. I'm glad. I ne­ver had a fat­her. Ot­her boys se­em to. I wo­uld li­ke ha­ving a fat­her. "
I wan­ted to get up and go out of the ro­om. I was over­co­me by my emo­ti­ons.
I for­ced myself to say: "It's my turn to gi­ve the pre­sents."
We pla­yed gu­es­sing ga­mes af­ter that- chi­efly the old one of thin­king of so­met­hing and ma­king the rest of the party gu­ess what it was . a ne­ver-fa­iling fa­vo­uri­te with Ken­dal.
Then as a spe­ci­al tre­at we had a lit­tle mo­re of the salt pork tho­ugh pru­den­ce told me it wo­uld ha­ve be­en wi­ser to ha­ve sa­ved it for anot­her day.
But this was Christ­mas Day . the stran­gest I had ever spent, and yet in spi­te of everyt­hing I was not un­hap­py.
There was a chan­ge af­ter Christ­mas Day, and two days la­ter the bom­bard­ment star­ted aga­in. It se­emed that the enemy was con­cent­ra­ting on the forts rat­her than the cent­re of the city and a gre­at de­al of da­ma­ge was do­ne to tho­se of­Van­ves and Issy.
There was no mo­re salt pork or any lu­xu­ri­es. The Ba­ron con­fes­sed to me that the in­nke­eper at the Ana­nas had held the fo­od for him which he had stoc­ked the­re just in ca­se so­met­hing li­ke this sho­uld hap­pen.
"I tho­ught I sho­uld get you away in ti­me," he sa­id 'but in ca­se I did not-as it tur­ned out- I ma­de a lit­tle pre­pa­ra­ti­on. I ga­ve the in­nke­eper per­mis­si­on to ta­ke half of the fo­od him­self. It wo­uld ha­ve be­en too much of a temp­ta­ti­on to ha­ve it the­re in the midst of his star­ving fa­mily. I was surp­ri­sed that he did not ta­ke the lot. Even in the­se cir­cums­tan­ces he was af­ra­id of Mon­si­e­ur Ie Ba­ron. "
He had re­por­ted the last with a cer­ta­in pri­de and I tho­ught: He has not re­al­ly chan­ged. He only se­ems to ha­ve mel­lo­wed be­ca­use of the­se stran­ge days thro­ugh which we are li­ving. If ever his li­fe be­co­mes nor­mal aga­in, he will be just the sa­me as he ever was.
But I did not en­ti­rely be­li­eve this. I had se­en him with Ken­dal and I knew that the­re was a ste­ady af­fec­ti­on bet­we­en them. Ken­dal tho­ught him won­der­ful. That ple­ased me whi­le it ga­ve ri­se to a cer­ta­in ap­pre­hen­si­on.
I was glad of the­ir re­la­ti­ons­hip now but I of­ten won­de­red what wo­uld hap­pen if ever we mo­ved out of this stran­ge night­ma­re in­to which we had be­en drawn.
We had pas­sed in­to Janu­ary. Je­an­ne re­por­ted that pe­op­le we­re dying of star­va­ti­on. They we­re too we­ak to ri­ot and we­re re­ady to do anyt­hing for de­li­ve­ran­ce.
We had very lit­tle to eat now. The Ba­ron sa­id that he had such re­ser­ves of strength that he ne­eded lit­tle to ke­ep him ali­ve. I dis­co­ve­red that he of­ten ga­ve his sha­re to Ken­dal. That mo­ved me as much as anyt­hing he had do­ne, and I felt thew that I al­most lo­ved him, The­re was a slight chan­ge in the we­at­her. The cold wind had drop­ped and the sun ca­me out. I felt an ir­re­sis­tib­le ur­ge to step out­si­de. I wo­uld not go far and tell no one that I had go­ne, for they wo­uld pro­test and try to stop me. But the bom­bard­ment had stop­ped now and stre­ets we­re sa­fe. The Prus­si­ans must ha­ve re­ali­zed that the most ef­fec­ti­ve way to ma­ke Pa­ris sur­ren­der was thro­ugh star­va­ti­on.
I wis­hed I had not ta­ken that walk. I wo­uld ne­ver for­get the sight of the child, He was lying aga­inst so­me pa­lings and for a mo­ment I co­uld ha­ve tho­ught it was Ken­dal lying the­re. The child's fa­ir ha­ir es­ca­ped from a wo­ol­len hat and I tho­ught he had fal­len. I went for­ward to help him.
I to­uc­hed him and he fell back­wards so that he was lying the­re, pa­le and cold. He was just bo­nes in a red co­at and hat. He must ha­ve be­en de­ad so­me ti­me . de­ad . of star­va­ti­on. The­re was not­hing I co­uld do for him now. If I had had fo­od to gi­ve him, it wo­uld ha­ve be­en too la­te.
I tur­ned and ran back to the ho­use. Ken­dal ca­me to­wards me.
"Have you be­en out, Ma­man?"
"Yes ... yes .. Just a lit­tle way."
"The sun's shi­ning," he sa­id.
It sho­ne on his fa­ce, sho­wing up the pal­lor, the lack­lust­re in tho­se eyes which had on­ce be­en so bright. the pa­le thin lit­tle fa­ce.
I tur­ned away be­ca­use I co­uld not be­ar to lo­ok at him.
"Oh God," I pra­yed.
"End this night­ma­re. Don't let that hap­pen ... not to Ken­dal."
The Ba­ron was stan­ding ne­arby. He lim­ped to­wards me and ta­king my hand drew me in­to his ro­om.
"What hap­pe­ned?" he as­ked when we we­re alo­ne.
I fell aga­inst him. I was half sob­bing.
He sa­id gently: "Tell me, Ka­te."
"It was a child ... out the­re ... a de­ad child ... a boy ... li­ke Ken­dal."
He stro­ked my ha­ir.
"He'll be all right. This can't go on. They'll ha­ve to call a halt.
It's co­ming so­on. It must. We'll sur­vi­ve."
I sto­od the­re clin­ging to him. He held me very tightly and went on:
"Don't gi­ve way. That wo­uldn't be li­ke you. It won't be long now."
He com­for­ted me as no one el­se co­uld ha­ve do­ne at that ti­me. I be­li­eved him. He wo­uld ta­ke ca­re of us and he co­uld ne­ver fa­il. What had hap­pe­ned to him wo­uld ha­ve kil­led most pe­op­le. But not the Ba­ron.
Such was the way in which he had bu­ilt him­self up for me. We must be all right whi­le he was the­re. He had fo­und a me­ans to get us so­me fo­od. He ga­ve the fo­od which he wan­ted him­self to Ken­dal. He lo­ved the boy who was his son.
I just sto­od the­re le­aning aga­inst him and he put his lips to my ha­ir.
That sce­ne from the tur­ret ro­om flas­hed be­fo­re my eyes and I tho­ught how dif­fe­rent this was. I was glad to be held thus and that he was the one who held me.
"Kate," he sa­id af­ter a whi­le, "I want to talk to you. I've had it in my mind for a few days now. This re­al­ly is go­ing to be over so­on.
There'll be an ar­mis­ti­ce and then I shall want to get us out of Pa­ris as so­on as it is pos­sib­le. "
"I can't le­ave Pa­ris," I sa­id.
"My work is he­re. When things are nor­mal ..."
"How long do you think it is go­ing to be be­fo­re things are nor­mal! Who is go­ing to want port­ra­its pa­in­ted? The­se pe­op­le want to eat. They want to re­co­ver. And even when the fo­od starts co­ming in­to Pa­ris, how long do you think it will ta­ke to get eno­ugh pro­vi­si­ons he­re? Pa­ris is go­ing to be a sad city for so­me ti­me to co­me. We are go­ing to get away just as so­on as the fron­ti­ers are open."
Where to? "
"To Cen­te­vil­le for a start."
"To the cast­le ... no, no."
"You must co­me. You've got to be nur­sed back to he­alth. So ha­ve I. So will an­yo­ne who has li­ved thro­ugh this si­ege ... and par­ti­cu­larly the boy."
"I am so frigh­te­ned for him."
"No ne­ed to be ... if you are sen­sib­le. Now I know how you fe­el abo­ut the cast­le. I ha­ve a pro­po­si­ti­on. The­re is a lit­tle pla­ce known as La Lo­ge du Cha­te­au. It is just in­si­de the mo­at and was used by ser­vants at one ti­me. I shall ta­ke you the­re and you can li­ve the­re with the boy and je­an­ne un­til Pa­ris is fit for you to re­turn."
I was si­lent.
"You will ha­ve to sink yo­ur pri­de if you are go­ing to con­si­der the boy," he sa­id.
"When ha­ve I ever let anyt­hing in­ter­fe­re with his wel­lbe­ing?" I de­man­ded.
"The ans­wer to that is Ne­ver, so you will be sen­sib­le now. The child is ill-no­uris­hed and has be­en for three months or mo­re. Thank God he is strong eno­ugh to stand it. But he ne­eds go­od fo­od ... fresh air. co­untry li­fe. He ne­eds to be bu­ilt up. He's go­ing to ha­ve all that, Ka­te, if I ha­ve to kid­nap him to gi­ve it to him. He ne­eds that mo­re than anyt­hing at the mo­ment, and I re­pe­at, he is go­ing to ha­ve it."
I met his eyes ste­adily.
"I ac­cept yo­ur of­fer," I told him.
He smi­led slowly.
"I knew you wo­uld, Ka­te. It'll co­me so­on. I know it.
This simply can­not con­ti­nue. "
"How will you get out of Pa­ris?" I as­ked.
"What me­ans of trans­port?"
"I'll find a way."
"I can't see how."
"But you know I will, eh?"
"Yes," I ag­re­ed.
"I know you will."
Then he le­aned to­wards me and kis­sed me swiftly on the fo­re­he­ad.
"You will not be far away from me, Ka­te," he sa­id softly "We ha­ve grown clo­se, ha­ven't we ... in the­se months?" I sa­id: "You ha­ve be­en go­od to us in many ways."
"Do you ex­pect me not to be ... to my own?" I bro­ke away from him. I went in­to the sa­lon. Grim. Cold.
Deserted. What a tra­vesty of ot­her days. I sat down and co­ve­red my fa­ce with my hands. I co­uldn't help thin­king of the lit­tle de­ad boy.
But the Ba­ron had com­for­ted me. I knew he wo­uld ta­ke ca­re of us and that be­ca­use of him we we­re go­ing to co­me sa­fely thro­ugh.
The ar­mis­ti­ce was sig­ned on the twenty-se­venth of Janu­ary. The­re wo­uld ha­ve be­en re­j­o­icing in the stre­ets if the pe­op­le had not be­en too we­ak for it. The next day the city ca­pi­tu­la­ted. The si­ege of Pa­ris was over.
The Ba­ron se­emed to ha­ve ta­ken on new strength. He now wal­ked at nor­mal spe­ed, alt­ho­ugh he drag­ged his right leg a lit­tle, it was true; but it did not se­em to in­con­ve­ni­en­ce him very much.
He was go­ne all day and I be­gan to be wor­ri­ed. I pra­yed des­pe­ra­tely for his sa­fe re­turn; and in the la­te af­ter­no­on he ca­me ho­me.
He was ple­ased with him­self.
"We le­ave to­mor­row," he sa­id.
"I'm get­ting hor­ses."
He to­ok both my hands in his and kis­sed them; then he drew me to him and held me clo­se, la­ug­hing.
"We're al­most the­re," he sa­id.
"How did you do it? The­re are no hor­ses!"
"Coercion. Bri­bery. It hap­pens, you know, even in the most dis­cip­li­ned ar­mi­es."
I ca­ught my bre­ath.
"You me­an ... the Ger­mans?"
"I'm pa­ying a go­od pri­ce. Mo­ney, it se­ems, is still the key to most things in the world. What a mercy I ha­ve a cer­ta­in amo­unt of that use­ful com­mo­dity." Then he sho­uted: "Ken­dal. Whe­re are you?
Come he­re. We're go­ing away. We're go­ing to the co­untry. We le­ave at the crack of dawn to­mor­row. Je­an­ne! Je­an­ne, whe­re are you? Be re­ady.
The hor­ses will be he­re to­mor­row mor­ning. I want to get go­ing as so­on as it is light. Ka­te, you and Je­an­ne will ri­de to­get­her. I'll ta­ke the boy. "
How ex­ci­ted we we­re! The­re was a lit­tle bre­ad dip­ped in wi­ne which was all we had for sup­per. We didn't ca­re. It was over. To­mor­row we sho­uld be on our way. The Ba­ron had sa­id so; and we be­li­eved that he co­uld do anyt­hing ho­we­ver im­pos­sib­le it might se­em.
The Lo­ge -I^X^M^I How happy I was to le­ave that be­le­agu­ered city be­hind me. That we es­ca­ped as we did was so­met­hing of a mi­rac­le and I re­ali­zed af­ter­wards that only the po­wer and she­er ef­fron­tery of­Rol­lo de Cen­te­vil­le co­uld ha­ve ac­hi­eved it.
The pe­op­le in the stre­ets we­re li­ke so many pa­le ske­le­tons. They we­re qu­ite dif­fe­rent from the li­vely, vo­lub­le pe­op­le I had known. They had emer­ged from the or­de­al angry and be­wil­de­red and we­re cle­arly pre­pa­red for furt­her evils to be­fall them. The Ba­ron had not only hi­red hor­ses but a gu­ide, who must ha­ve be­en one of the han­gers-on of the oc­cup­ying army, to get us thro­ugh the city. I did not ask qu­es­ti­ons. I tho­ught it bet­ter not.
We to­ok the qu­ic­kest ro­ute go­ing so­uth­wards, for it was of the ut­most im­por­tan­ce to le­ave Pa­ris be­hind us as so­on as pos­sib­le.
As we pas­sed the Lu­xem­bo­urg Gar­dens me­mo­ri­es flo­oded back. I co­uld al­most see the orif­lam­me ki­te flying in the sky. I glan­ced at Ken­dal to see if he re­mem­be­red and aga­in I was struck by his pal­lor. His arms we­re li­ke sticks whe­re­as on­ce they had be­en ro­un­ded and plump. He was in­tent now, sit­ting the­re, no do­ubt thin­king of that ima­gi­nary whi­te ste­ed which the Ba­ron had "gi­ven" him for Christ­mas. The­re was a light of ex­ci­te­ment in his eyes. I tho­ught: It's true. We shall so­on nur­se him back to he­alth.
The Ba­ron kept glan­cing to­wards me, to ma­ke su­re that I was still the­re. He smi­led at me en­co­ura­gingly. I knew he was pre­pa­red for set­backs, but I saw the sa­me lo­ve of ad­ven­tu­re in his fa­ce as I saw in Ken­dal's. I tho­ught: They l are as­to­nis­hingly ali­ke. And I knew we we­re go­ing to get' thro­ugh.
And we did.
When we left the city be­hind us, the Ba­ron pa­id off the gu­ide and we we­re on our own. It was won­der­ful to bre­at­he the fresh co­untry air.
We ca­me to an inn and stop­ped the­re and had so­me ref­resh­ment. The­re was not a gre­at de­al to be had but we we­re no lon­ger in fa­mis­hed Pa­ris.
The Ba­ron or­de­red a lit­tle so­up.
"Not too much at first," he sa­id.
"We will eat lit­tle and fre­qu­ently."
The so­up tas­ted de­li­ci­o­us. We had hot bre­ad with it and I tho­ught the­re co­uld not be anyt­hing mo­re ap­pe­ti­zing in the who­le world. I knew the ot­hers we­re of the sa­me opi­ni­on.
"We'll get along," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"The so­oner we re­ach Cen­te­vil­le the bet­ter."
It was a ha­zar­do­us jo­ur­ney for the­re we­re sol­di­ers everyw­he­re. They did not ta­ke much no­ti­ce of us a man who was crip­pled, two wo­men and a child. They we­re not very cu­ri­o­us.
"Even so," sa­id the Ba­ron, 'we will avo­id camps, if we can. "
We stop­ped aga­in and to­ok a lit­tle bre­ad and che­ese. The Ba­ron was ab­le to buy so­me che­ese and bre­ad, which we to­ok with us. The­re was not a gre­at de­al of fo­od to be had, but as he sa­id, af­ter such pri­va­ti­on as we had suf­fe­red, we had to eat spa­ringly for a whi­le, so it su­ited us.
The Ba­ron had plenty of mo­ney which he scat­te­red fre­ely and which ga­ve us what we ne­eded. We sta­yed at an inn one night and spent anot­her in a de­re­lict hut clo­se to a farm.
It was an ex­ci­ting jo­ur­ney and with each ho­ur the fact that we had es­ca­ped ga­ve us co­ura­ge and the ne­ces­sary strength to carry on.
I was ama­zed that in the con­di­ti­on we we­re in, we co­uld ri­de as we did.
"People do what they ha­ve to," sa­id the Ba­ron.
And at length we ca­me to the cast­le.
He had be­en right. It was un­to­uc­hed. I knew what a pro­ud mo­ment it was for him when he ro­de un­der the port­cul­lis.
The ef­fect was ama­zing.
I he­ard vo­ices sho­uting.
"It's the Ba­ron. The Ba­ron is he­re."
People se­emed to be run­ning in all di­rec­ti­ons.
"The Ba­ron is back. The Ba­ron is sa­fe."
We we­re ex­ha­us­ted . even he was. We had ne­eded all our strength to get he­re and now we had ar­ri­ved we re­ali­zed how gre­at the stra­in had be­en.
"What has hap­pe­ned in my ab­sen­ce?" as­ked the Ba­ron.
"Have the sol­di­ers be­en he­re?"
He was told no. They had be­en in Ro­u­en. They had oc­cu­pi­ed the towns, but had left most of the smal­ler pla­ces alo­ne.
"We ne­ed rest and fo­od," sa­id the Ba­ron.
I had ne­ver se­en such ac­ti­vity. Ken­dal's eyes we­re ro­und with won­der.
This was the cast­le abo­ut which the Ba­ron had told him. His eyes we­re li­ke bril­li­ant lamps in his pa­le lit­tle fa­ce. The sto­ri­es to which he had lis­te­ned with such enc­hant­ment we­re be­co­ming re­ality.
I fo­und myself in a ro­om with him. A fi­re bur­ned in the gra­te. Fo­od was bro­ught to us. So­up aga­in-hot and sa­vo­ury.
"I li­ke cast­les," sa­id Ken­dal.
Then we lay on the bed to­get­her and slept far in­to the next day. I re­mem­ber ope­ning my eyes and sud­denly re­ali­zing whe­re I was. The si­ege was over. I was sa­fe in the Ba­ron's cast­le . sa­fe in his ca­re.
Kendal was sle­eping be­si­de me. How pat­he­ti­cal­ly his bo­nes sto­od out!
But the­re was a smi­le on his lips.
For a mo­ment I ma­de myself for­get everyt­hing . Ni­co­le's de­ath, the ter­rib­le mo­ment when I had tho­ught I had lost my son, the fa­ce of the lit­tle de­ad boy. I pus­hed it all away. I was he­re . sa­fe in the cast­le and the Ba­ron had bro­ught us to sa­fety. He wo­uld ta­ke ca­re of us.
I just lay still and slept aga­in; and when I awo­ke it was la­te af­ter­no­on.
A ser­vant was stan­ding by the bed.
She sa­id: "Are you awa­ke, Ma­da­me? We had or­ders to let you sle­ep un­til you awo­ke."
"I ha­ve slept for a long ti­me, I think."
"You we­re ex­ha­us­ted. The ot­her lady is still sle­eping. And the lit­tle boy."
I nod­ded and sa­id: "And the Ba­ron?"
"He was up this mor­ning. He sent me to see if you ne­eded anyt­hing. A me­al will be ser­ved in half an ho­ur if you wo­uld li­ke to ta­ke it.
Kendal, he­aring vo­ices, had awa­ke­ned. He sat up and I saw the slow smi­le spre­ad ac­ross his fa­ce as he lo­oked ro­und the ro­om.
I sa­id: "I sho­uld li­ke to wash if that is pos­sib­le."
"But of co­ur­se, Ma­da­me. Hot wa­ter shall be bro­ught."
"Thank you."
Kendal watc­hed her, wi­de-eyed, as she went out.
"Are we go­ing to stay he­re ... al­ways? This is the Ba­ron's cast­le. I want to see it... all of it.
"I da­re say you will," I told him.
"We'll wash and then we'll go down and see what hap­pens next."
When we we­re was­hed we still lo­oked so­mew­hat bed­rag­gled, for we had only the clot­hes we had tra­vel­led in and na­tu­ral­ly had be­en unab­le to bring anyt­hing with us.
I to­ok Ken­dal's hand and we went down to­get­her.
"You know the way," he whis­pe­red in awe, lo­oking ro­und at the thick sto­ne walls with the­ir ta­pest­ri­es of bat­tle sce­nes.
I grip­ped his hand tightly, fe­eling that we we­re wal­king in­to the unk­nown.
We ca­me down in­to the gre­at hall whe­re the Ba­ron was wa­iting . with a wo­man. I re­cog­ni­zed her at on­ce, alt­ho­ugh she had chan­ged a gre­at de­al from that yo­ung girl whom I had pa­in­ted in the Rue du Fa­uborg Sa­int-Ho­no­re.
"Kate," sa­id the Ba­ron co­ming to­wards me, 'you are res­ted? And you, Ken­dal? "
I sa­id we we­re, and Ken­dal just ga­zed at the Ba­ron, his eyes ro­und with won­der and ad­mi­ra­ti­on.
"You ha­ve, of co­ur­se, met the Prin­ces­se."
I step­ped for­ward and Ma­rie-Cla­ude held out her hand. I to­ok it.
"Mademoiselle Col­li­son," she sa­id, 'it se­ems a long ti­me sin­ce we knew each ot­her. And you ha­ve be­en thro­ugh a ter­rib­le or­de­al. The Ba­ron has be­en tel­ling me of it. "
I sa­id: "We are for­tu­na­te to ha­ve co­me thro­ugh it ali­ve."
"And this is yo­ur son?" She was lo­oking at Ken­dal and I co­uld not gu­ess what she was thin­king.
"Yes, my son Ken­dal," I sa­id.
Kendal ca­me for­ward and to­ok her hand. He kis­sed it in the French man­ner.
"Charming," she sa­id, then she tur­ned to me: "The si­ege must ha­ve be­en ter­rif­ying."
"We will go in­to the di­ning-ro­om," sa­id the Ba­ron.
She he­si­ta­ted.
"The boy ... sho­uld he eat with Wil­li­am?"
"Not to­day," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"We will see la­ter."
"There is anot­her wo­man ..." be­gan the Prin­ces­se.
"I gat­her she is still sle­eping. So­met­hing can be sent to her r. om when she wa­kes." He spo­ke aut­ho­ri­ta­ti­vely, and his vo­ice was dis­tinctly co­ol when he ad­dres­sed her. Kno­wing him now, I tho­ught, qu­ite well, and al­so kno­wing a lit­tle of her, I tri­ed to pic­tu­re what the­ir li­fe to­get­her was li­ke. I ima­gi­ned that nor­mal­ly they saw very lit­tle of each ot­her.
Kendal had go­ne to the Ba­ron and was smi­ling at him, and I no­ti­ced how the Ba­ron's fa­ce sof­te­ned as he lo­oked at him.
"I li­ke yo­ur cast­le," sa­id Ken­dal.
"I want to see all of it."
"You shall," the Ba­ron pro­mi­sed.
"When?"
"Some ti­me."
The Prin­ces­se led the way in­to the small di­ning-ro­om whe­re I had eaten be­fo­re, so it was fa­mi­li­ar to me. The Ba­ron sat at one end of the tab­le, the Prin­ces­se at the ot­her. Ken­dal and I we­re op­po­si­te each ot­her, and as it was a lar­ge tab­le we se­emed very far apart.
There was so­up first. It se­emed easi­er to eat and the most sa­tis­fac­tory fo­od, for af­ter al­most fo­ur months of dep­ri­va­ti­on one had to adj­ust one­self to eating nor­mal­ly. The­re was an im­pul­se to ove­re­at at the sight of so much de­li­ci­o­us fo­od and we all knew even Ken­dal that we had to rest­ra­in that im­pul­se.
The Prin­ces­se sa­id: "You must tell me all abo­ut yo­ur ter­rib­le or­de­al.
We knew that the Ba­ron was in Pa­ris, of co­ur­se, and we tho­ught we might ne­ver see him aga­in. "
"It must ha­ve be­en a shock when I tur­ned up," sa­id the Ba­ron coldly.
The cor­ners ot­her mo­uth lif­ted ner­vo­usly and she smi­led as tho­ugh he was joking. She sa­id: "We wa­ited every day for news. We did not know what wo­uld be­co­me of us all. The­se fe­ar­ful Ger­mans ..."
"The French will ad­mit de­fe­at," sa­id the Ba­ron.
"There'll be tre­ati­es, unp­le­asant con­se­qu­en­ces for us, and then I sup­po­se the French will be­gin re­bu­il­ding."
"The Ba­ron do­es not con­si­der him­self to be French," sa­id the Prin­ces­se to me.
"He dis­so­ci­ates him­self from the­ir de­fe­at."
"It was mis­ta­ken tac­tics from the first. Folly which re­sul­ted in the only pos­sib­le out­co­me."
Kendal sa­id: "Are the­re dun­ge­ons?"
"Yes," the Ba­ron told him.
"I will show them to you."
"Is any­body in them?" as­ked Ken­dal in a low vo­ice.
"I don't think so. We'll ha­ve a lo­ok to­mor­row."
I sa­id: "It's very go­od of you, Prin­ces­se, to be so hos­pi­tab­le."
"We are ho­no­ured, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son." She stres­sed the Ma­de­mo­isel­le . "The gre­at ar­tist to stay un­der our ro­of!
Remember "Men can ma­ke kings but only God can ma­ke an ar­tist."
Mademoiselle told me that on our first me­eting. Do you re­mem­ber, Ma­de­mo­isel­le? "
There was so­met­hing de­fi­ant abo­ut her, I de­tec­ted. She was frigh­te­ned of him. She hadn't chan­ged very much from the girl who had co­me to my bed­ro­om on that very first night and pre­ten­ded to be a ma­id.
"I re­mem­ber very well," I sa­id, 'and I re­pe­at, it is very go­od of you to ha­ve me and my son he­re. "
She spre­ad her hands.
"It is na­tu­ral that you sho­uld co­me he­re. You ha­ve be­en with my hus­band. , . suf­fe­red with him ... ac­ted as nur­se to him, I he­ar .. and now you ha­ve es­ca­ped with him. You must try this fish. It was ca­ught only this af­ter­no­on and is very lightly co­oked wit­ho­ut sa­uces as af­ter yo­ur or­de­al you will ha­ve to eat very ca­re­ful­ly at first, it has be­en exp­la­ined to me."
"Thank you. You are in­de­ed very go­od. You un­ders­tand that the Ba­ron has very kindly of­fe­red us the Lo­ge un­til I can get back to Pa­ris.
"I know. It has to be ma­de re­ady as it has not be­en used for a long ti­me. For a few days you must stay he­re. I he­ar yo­ur stu­dio in Pa­ris was a gre­at suc­cess ... be­fo­re the si­ege."
"I had many cli­ents."
"It is a long ti­me sin­ce we last met. Six ye­ars ... or mo­re. My lit­tle Wil­li­am must be abo­ut the sa­me age as yo­ur boy."
"Yes, I da­re say."
The Ba­ron had sa­id lit­tle. He was watc­hing us in­tently.
He tal­ked mostly to Ken­dal, who wan­ted to know if they wo­uld de­fend the cast­le if the Ger­mans ca­me he­re.
"To the last man," the Ba­ron told him.
"Are the­re bat­tle­ments?"
"There are in­de­ed."
"Shall we po­ur bo­iling oil down on the in­va­ders when they use the­ir bat­te­ring rams?"
"Boiling oil and tar," sa­id the Ba­ron so­lemnly.
The Prin­ces­se smi­led at me and lif­ted her sho­ul­ders.
"War, war ..." she sa­id.
"Talk of war. I'm ti­red of war.
Mademoiselle Col­li­son, af­ter we ha­ve fi­nis­hed I will co­me to yo­ur ro­om and talk to you. You ne­ed clot­hes. You must ne­ed many things. "
"We did le­ave in a gre­at hurry," I exp­la­ined, 'and so bro­ught not­hing with us. "
"I am su­re we can help."
"Perhaps," I sug­ges­ted, 'the­re is so­me se­amst­ress who co­uld ma­ke so­met­hing for us. I ho­pe so­on to be wor­king aga­in. I do ha­ve mo­ney.
Money was not the prob­lem in Pa­ris. "
"I am su­re we can ar­ran­ge so­met­hing," she sa­id.
There was a lit­tle chic­ken af­ter the fish. The me­nu had be­en ca­re­ful­ly cho­sen. It was the first re­al me­al I had had for months and I felt re­vi­ta­li­zed. The­re was a fa­int co­lo­ur in Ken­dal's che­eks. I co­uld see he was tho­ro­ughly enj­oying this ad­ven­tu­re.
The Ba­ron to­ok him off af­ter the me­al and the Prin­ces­se ca­me to my ro­om with me.
When the do­or of my ro­om shut on us, she se­emed to chan­ge. She drop­ped the po­se of chat ela­ine and be­ca­me the yo­ung girl I had known.
"Life is odd," she sa­id.
"Fancy se­e­ing you aga­in. I've tho­ught of you every ti­me I've lo­oked at the mi­ni­atu­res, and of co­ur­se I he­ard abo­ut yo­ur sa­lon in Pa­ris. You re­al­ly be­ca­me well known, didn't you? It se­ems such a long ti­me ago."
"It is."
"Kate," she sa­id.
"I cal­led you Ka­te, didn't I? I li­ked you ... from the start I li­ked you. You had an air of in­de­pen­den­ce abo­ut you.
"Take it or le­ave it. If you don't li­ke me, emp­loy anot­her ar­tist."
You ha­ve a child now. Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer's, I sup­po­se. Yet you didn't marry him . even tho­ugh the­re was a child. "
"No," I sa­id, "I didn't marry him."
"And you had a child ... and you we­re not mar­ri­ed!"
"That's right."
"You we­re bra­ve."
"I didn't want to marry. We ... er ... didn't want to marry each ot­her."
"So you had the child. How did you ma­na­ge?"
"I was bef­ri­en­ded, and then I had the sa­lon and pe­op­le ca­me, and in that world it didn't se­em to mat­ter so much as it wo­uld in a mo­re con­ven­ti­onal one ... If you un­ders­tand."
"I do. I wish I had be­en in a less con­ven­ti­onal world. Yo­ur boy is be­a­uti­ful. He ne­eds a go­od de­al of fe­eding up."
"He has be­en fo­ur months in a si­ege. We we­re ne­ar star­va­ti­on when we ca­me out."
"And the Ba­ron bro­ught you out. My nob­le hus­band! What was he do­ing in " You must ask him. "
"He ne­ver tells me anyt­hing." She he­si­ta­ted, and I think she was on the ver­ge of a con­fi­den­ce, but she se­emed sud­denly to re­ali­ze that she might be so­mew­hat in­disc­re­et.
"I'll bring so­me clot­hes for you to try," she sa­id.
"And the se­amst­ress?"
"That's for la­ter. At first let me gi­ve you so­met­hing. You are tal­ler than I and so thin ... That might help ... yo­ur be­ing thin. You won't ta­ke up so much. I'll send one of the ma­ids in with so­me things." She lo­oked at me wist­ful­ly.
"When I used to he­ar abo­ut you in that Pa­ris sa­lon, I en­vi­ed you. I mis­sed Pa­ris. I ha­te it he­re... this glo­omy old cast­le. I fe­el li­ke a pri­so­ner so­me­ti­mes. I get so ti­red. I ha­ve to rest a lot. It is sin­ce Wil­li­am's birth."
She tur­ned away and went to the do­or.
I sat down. The fo­od was ha­ving its ef­fect and ma­de me fe­el sle­epy. I lay on the bed for a whi­le but did not sle­ep. Now that my mind was fre­ed from the pre­oc­cu­pa­ti­on with fo­od, I be­gan to see the si­tu­ati­on in which I fo­und myself mo­re cle­arly.
I co­uld not go on he­re. It was only a tem­po­rary res­pi­te. Even if I sta­yed in the Lo­ge I sho­uld be li­ving on the Ba­ron's bo­unty and I co­uld not en­du­re that for long. I must get back to Pa­ris. But how co­uld I get back to Pa­ris? It wo­uld be months per­haps a ye­ar be­fo­re the­re wo­uld be a ho­pe for me to work the­re.
I kept thin­king of his words: "You ha­ve to con­si­der the boy."
Yes, I had to con­si­der Ken­dal. He must be my first res­pon­si­bi­lity. No mat­ter what per­so­nal hu­mi­li­ati­on I suf­fe­red, as long as Ken­dal pro­fi­ted that was all I must think of. Af­ter all, the Ba­ron was his fat­her. It was not li­ke ta­king from a stran­ger.
The ma­id ca­me in with three dres­ses, and so­me pet­ti­co­ats and un­der­gar­ments.
"The Prin­ces­se as­ked if you wo­uld try the­se, Ma­da­me," she sa­id.
I than­ked her and tri­ed on the dres­ses. They we­re not a go­od fit, but they wo­uld suf­fi­ce un­til I co­uld get so­met­hing ma­de.
I had to ad­mit to myself that it was a gre­at re­li­ef to get out of the clot­hes which I had worn for so long.
As I chan­ged in­to a gre­en vel­vet dress, I tho­ught: The­re is not­hing I can do but ac­cept what fa­te has thrust upon me. I ne­ed rest as well as fo­od; my mind ne­eds adj­us­ting. One do­es not go thro­ugh the or­de­al of lo­sing a gre­at fri­end, one's fat­her, and fo­ur months of star­va­ti­on with de­ath thre­ate­ning at every turn wit­ho­ut ne­eding so­me adj­ust­ment.
Until this was ma­de I must shel­ve ot­her prob­lems.
Kendal and I re­ma­ined for a we­ek in the cast­le whi­le the Lo­ge was pre­pa­red for us. The Ba­ron had dec­re­ed that af­ter our or­de­al we ne­eded to rest the­re for a whi­le.

D.

L.

- K
R
His word was law in the cast­le and no one qu­es­ti­oned anyt­hing he com­man­ded. That he sho­uld ar­ri­ve with two wo­men and a child from the si­ege of Pa­ris was tre­ated as tho­ugh it we­re a part of the na­tu­ral co­ur­se of events- be­ca­use that was how he wis­hed it to be ac­cep­ted.
When I tho­ught abo­ut it, I co­uld see that a per­fectly lo­gi­cal exp­la­na­ti­on co­uld be put on what had hap­pe­ned. He had fo­und him­self in Pa­ris; he had se­en a child abo­ut to be crus­hed to de­ath and had thrown him­self on the child and bor­ne the brunt of the col­lap­se of bricks and mor­tar. He had dis­co­ve­red the child to be the son of an ar­tist whom he had on­ce emp­lo­yed and be­ca­use of the di­sor­der in the Pa­ris stre­ets and the ina­bi­lity to get me­di­cal at­ten­ti­on, she had ta­ken him in inj­ured as he was and he had sta­yed in her ho­use to be nur­sed by her. It was all per­fectly lo­gi­cal ex­cept one thing. He co­uld not hi­de his af­fec­ti­on for Ken­dal; and when it was con­si­de­red how he be­ha­ved to­wards Wil­li­amw­ho was ge­ne­ral­ly ac­cep­ted as his son this was very stran­ge.
Moreover, Wil­li­am was small and dark with his mot­her's Va­lo­is no­se. He se­emed to be a ner­vo­us child but I qu­ickly de­du­ced that this was due to the tre­at­ment he had re­ce­ived. The man he be­li­eved to be his fat­her ig­no­red him and his mot­her se­emed in­dif­fe­rent to­wards him too. Po­or child, he had be­en ma­de to fe­el that his pre­sen­ce in this li­fe was rat­her un­ne­ces­sary.
So of co­ur­se they we­re won­de­ring abo­ut us. Then the­re was the fact that the Prin­ces­se cons­tantly re­fer­red to me as Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son -and in­de­ed I had be­en so cal­led when I vi­si­ted the cast­le all tho­se ye­ars ago, and many of them re­mem­be­red me. Mo­re­over, the re­semb­lan­ce bet­we­en Ken­dal and the Ba­ron was be­co­ming mo­re ob­vi­o­us every day.
Oh yes, un­ders­tan­dably the­re we­re spe­cu­la­ti­ons.
They we­re stran­ge days. I think that if I had be­en my pre­vi­o­us self I sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve sta­yed at the cast­le. But I had be­en mo­re we­ake­ned by that so­j­o­urn in Pa­ris than I re­ali­zed. I was still suf­fe­ring from the shock of Ni­co­le's de­ath, which had be­en tem­po­ra­rily mu­ted by ot­her mo­men­to­us events, but now that I had left Pa­ris be­hind me, I tho­ught of Ni­co­le a gre­at de­al.
Then aga­in the­re was the de­ath of my fat­her. The days of my child­ho­od we­re cons­tantly in my mind when my fat­her had be­en clo­ser to me than any ot­her per­son. I was only now re­ali­zing that I sho­uld ne­ver see him aga­in. So I mo­ur­ned the two of them. I lon­ged to he­ar what was hap­pe­ning to Cla­re. So my tho­ughts we­re do­mi­na­ted by my fat­her and Ni­co­le. I mo­ur­ned them both af­resh. The know­led­ge that it was the Ba­ron who had sent Ni­co­le to ca­re for me ma­de no dif­fe­ren­ce to my fe­elings for her. She wo­uld al­ways be re­mem­be­red in my he­art as my go­od fri­end-in-ne­ed, and it was only now that I fully re­ali­zed what a big gap her de­ath fol­lo­wing on that of my fat­her had ma­de in my li­fe.
As for the Ba­ron, I did not want to think of him. Not that I co­uld stop myself. I had to ac­cept the fact that my fe­elings to­wards him had chan­ged. I re­mem­be­red so much abo­ut him- his lying on that bed suf­fe­ring pa­in and re­fu­sing to ad­mit it; the ten­der­ness I so­me­ti­mes saw in his fa­ce, the re­li­ef when I ca­me in­to the ro­om; his lo­ve for Ken­dal for lo­ve it was, alt­ho­ugh strongly tin­ged with the pri­de of pos­ses­si­on.
"This is my son!" That was what he tho­ught every ti­me he lo­oked at Ken­dal; and the fact that he so re­semb­led him ma­de the boy do­ubly en­de­aring to him.
Somewhere at the back of my mind was the tho­ught that he wo­uld ne­ver let Ken­dal go. And what wo­uld that me­an to me?
It se­emed that I was in a ho­pe­less si­tu­ati­on, and I saw it mo­re cle­arly sin­ce I had co­me to the cast­le.
The Ba­ron wan­ted his son. I be­li­eved that if he we­re free he wo­uld at­tempt to ma­ke me marry him. I sho­uld, of co­ur­se, re­fu­se; but he wo­uld at­tempt to bring it abo­ut. He al­ways got what he wan­ted and now he wan­ted Ken­dal.
Two doc­tors ca­me to the cast­le to lo­ok at the Ba­ron's leg.
While they we­re the­re he in­sis­ted that all of us- Ken­dal, Je­an­ne and myself- sho­uld be exa­mi­ned to ma­ke su­re that the months of fa­mi­ne had not im­pa­ired our he­alth. We we­re as­su­red that we had co­me thro­ugh wit­ho­ut harm but that we ne­eded go­od no­uris­hing fo­od to ma­ke us re­al­ly he­althy aga­in.
That was true, I knew; and it was a gre­at joy to see the chan­ge in Ken­da­le­very day.
I wal­ked of­ten du­ring tho­se days a lit­tle at first and gra­du­al­ly inc­re­asing the dis­tan­ce. I used to wan­der down to the ed­ge of the mo­at and sit the­re re­mem­be­ring the day when he had co­me be­hind me and se­en what I was sketc­hing.
Now he fo­und me the­re, and we sat in si­len­ce, lo­oking at the wa­ter.
Then he sa­id: "We ca­me thro­ugh, Ka­te. The­re we­re ti­mes when I tho­ught we sho­uld ne­ver get out of that ho­use."
"I tho­ught you al­ways be­li­eved we wo­uld."
"It was just the oc­ca­si­onal do­ubt. The boy is re­co­ve­ring fast... fas­ter than any of us."
"He's yo­ung."
"He's a de Cen­te­vil­le."
"Also aCol­li­son."
"Divine com­bi­na­ti­on."
"We can't stay he­re," I sa­id.
"You're go­ing to the Lo­ge. Ha­ve you se­en it yet? I'll ta­ke you over it."
"Now?"
"In a lit­tle whi­le. Let's sit he­re and talk first. Ka­te, what are we go­ing to do, you and I?"
"I am go­ing to the Lo­ge and I shall re­turn to Pa­ris as so­on as everyt­hing is nor­mal."
He la­ug­hed.
"How long is Pa­ris go­ing to ta­ke to re­co­ver, do you think?
There is ri­oting in the stre­ets now. They are set­ting fi­re to so­me of the bu­il­dings the­re, I he­ar. How long do you think it is go­ing to ta­ke Fran­ce to re­co­ver? "
"Perhaps I sho­uld go back to Eng­land. I might set up a stu­dio in Lon­don."
"I want you to stay he­re."
"Here! In the cast­le!"
"No ... so­mew­he­re not too far away. I'll find a pla­ce. I shall be with you ... most of the ti­me."
"You me­an I sho­uld be­co­me yo­ur mist­ress?"
"You co­uld call it that."
"Isn't that what it wo­uld be cal­led? The ans­wer is no."
"Why not? I want to ke­ep the boy. I tho­ught of le­gi­ti­mi­zing him .. ma­king him my he­ir. "
"But you ha­ve an he­ir. You ha­ve Wil­li­am."
"You know that he is not mi­ne."
"He is in the eyes of the law."
"I don't ac­cept that sort of law."
"Unfortunately for you, the rest of the world do­es."
"You know how it is with this mar­ri­age of mi­ne."
"You sho­uld try to un­ders­tand the Prin­ces­se. You co­uld grow fond ot­her if you ma­de an ef­fort to do so. I know her. I wor­ked on her port­ra­it.
It is surp­ri­sing how one gets to know pe­op­le who­se port­ra­its one pa­ints. "
"I know this: I don't want to be with her... to see her ... She has fo­is­ted that bas­tard on me. It is the worst thing she co­uld ha­ve do­ne to me."
"See it her way. You un­ders­tand the­se sud­den im­pul­ses. Why sho­uld it be ac­cep­ted that a man may in­dul­ge his and it is so dre­ad­ful when a wo­man do­es?"
"Because of the re­sults when a wo­man do­es."
"There may well be re­sults, which sho­uld con­cern the men."
"I did con­cern myself."
"I know. You sent Ni­co­le to dis­co­ver what was hap­pe­ning to me and when you knew I was to ha­ve a child you set up that ela­bo­ra­te es­tab­lish­ment."
"You see, I ca­red. I ma­de su­re that you had the cli­ents you wo­uld ne­ed. I sa­tis­fi­ed myself that you we­re in go­od hands. I did everyt­hing I co­uld."
"Except that which you sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve do­ne in the first pla­ce."
"Are you go­ing to hold that aga­inst me all our li­ves?"
"Yes," I sa­id.
"Well, you will ha­ve to be with me to show me yo­ur re­sent­ment."
"I ha­ve no help for it at the mo­ment. I know it so­unds ung­ra­te­ful, but in vi­ew of everyt­hing, you must un­ders­tand. I wo­uld not be he­re if it we­re not for the boy."
"I know. Every ti­me it is the boy."
"And wo­uld you want me he­re if you did not ha­ve to ha­ve me to get Ken­dal?"
"That's whe­re you are wrong. If the­re we­re no child, I sho­uld want you just as much. Ka­te, be sen­sib­le. You know I want you ... you only.
More than I want the boy, I want you. We co­uld get mo­re boys li­ke Ken­dal. You did so­met­hing to me. "
"I am glad the­re was so­me re­ta­li­ati­on."
"I fe­el vi­tal when I am with you."
"I tho­ught you felt mag­ni­fi­cent all the ti­me ... as the gre­atest man the world has ever known."
"Well, that's just a na­tu­ral fe­eling. The­re is so­met­hing spe­ci­al in it when I am with you. I want you and the boy. I wo­uld to God my wi­fe wo­uld go to sle­ep one af­ter­no­on and ne­ver wa­ke up. Then we wo­uld be mar­ri­ed, Ka­te. I wo­uld con­vin­ce you then."
"Don't da­re say such things ... in my he­aring," I cri­ed.
"Other pe­op­le ha­ve the­ir li­ves, you know. We are not all on Earth to ser­ve yo­ur ne­eds. You used me for re­ven­ge ... the pet­ti­est re­ven­ge.
You mar­ri­ed the Prin­ces­se that yo­ur child­ren might ha­ve that French ro­yal blo­od which se­emed so im­por­tant to you ... on­ce. Now, you no lon­ger fe­el that it is ne­ces­sary. Fran­ce is a re­pub­lic now. A bos la nob­les­se. The­re­fo­re let us re­mo­ve the Prin­ces­se."
"I did not say I wo­uld re­mo­ve her. I sa­id I do not lo­ve her. I ha­ve ne­ver lo­ved her. She ir­ri­ta­tes me and I lo­at­he be­ing ne­ar her. I wish she wo­uld die in her sle­ep. She is al­ways comp­la­ining abo­ut her ill he­alth. She do­es not se­em to ta­ke much ple­asu­re in li­fe so per­haps she wo­uld not ca­re gre­atly if she left it and ce­ased to be an in­con­ve­ni­en­ce. At le­ast I am truth­ful. I do­ubt whet­her I am the first hus­band with an un­wan­ted wi­fe who has felt the wish- even if he has not exp­res­sed it that she will pass gently out of his li­fe. And as I mar­ri­ed her, and she is a Cat­ho­lic and ro­yal, she wo­uld ne­ed a dis­pen­sa­ti­on to an­nul her mar­ri­age, and I am su­re she wo­uld ne­ver ag­ree to that. It is only hu­man na­tu­re that I sho­uld wish her gently to pass away. The­re. I am ho­nest."
I tur­ned to him.
"You alarm me when you talk li­ke that He to­ok my hand and kis­sed it.
I went on: "You se­em to get what you want... al­ways."
"Yes, Ka­te, so I do. And one of the­se days I'll ha­ve you and the boy . and all the ot­hers we shall ha­ve. We we­re me­ant for each ot­her.
Your spi­rit. yo­ur in­de­pen­den­ce . yo­ur lo­vely dark-red ha­ir . I think of them all the ti­me. I shall ha­ve no pe­ace un­til we are to­get­her as on­ce we we­re for three nights . re­mem­ber. One day we shall be to­get­her aga­in. Don't tempt me too far, Ka­te. "
I sa­id: "I see I must le­ave the cast­le."
"You will be in the Lo­ge clo­se by."
"You ma­ke it very dif­fi­cult for me. I don't see whe­re I can turn. I know I ought to go away tho­ugh ... right away."
"And ta­ke the boy? Sub­mit him to ... what? He ne­eds ca­re. He ne­eds pe­ace of mind. The sort of li­fe he had to le­ad in Pa­ris has its ef­fect on a child's mind. I won't ha­ve him ta­ken away from he­re."
"You co­uldn't stop me if I wan­ted to ta­ke him. You ha­ve no cla­im."
"As his fat­her ..."
"Your part in his con­cep­ti­on was mi­ni­mal. The sort of chan­ce en­co­un­ter. The­re are many such. I can ne­ver un­ders­tand why it is tho­ught that a fat­her sho­uld ha­ve a cla­im to com­pa­re with that of a mot­her. That child has grown in me ... he has be­en my li­fe from the mo­ment I was awa­re of his exis­ten­ce. Don't talk to me abo­ut cla­ims."
"Fiery Ka­te. Be­lo­ved Ka­te. Every mo­ment you con­vin­ce me that I can­not li­ve wit­ho­ut you."
"What has the doc­tor sa­id abo­ut yo­ur leg?" I as­ked.
"Nothing can be do­ne. It ne­eded at­ten­ti­on at the ti­me. I've lost so­me of the bo­ne. I shall limp for the rest of my days."
"And the pa­in?"
He shrug­ged his sho­ul­ders.
"Sometimes it's the­re. Not as it was. Now it's me­rely an ir­ri­ta­ting nag­ging. It is wor­se when I'm angry and when the we­at­her is cold."
"You can't chan­ge one," I sa­id, 'but you can the ot­her. So . don't get angry. "
"Take ca­re of me then... as you did in that ho­use... only dif­fe­rently.
Let's be lo­vers as we we­re be­fo­re ... only dif­fe­rently aga­in. Let us be the ten­der pas­si­ona­te lo­vers which we co­uld be, you know."
"Let us go and lo­ok at the Lo­ge," I sa­id.
He ro­se obe­di­ently and we wal­ked ro­und the mo­at.
The Lo­ge was the­re nest­ling un­der the sha­dow of the cast­le . gro­wing out from its walls, as it we­re.
"It was ad­ded on se­ve­ral hund­red ye­ars af­ter the cast­le was bu­ilt," he sa­id.
"Some ti­me in the eigh­te­enth cen­tury, I be­li­eve. One of my an­ces­tors bu­ilt it for his mist­ress. Af­ter­wards it was used by so­me of the ser­vants. I don't think it has be­en in­ha­bi­ted for so­me ye­ars now."
He led me in. The­re was a big ro­om with a gre­at fi­rep­la­ce and a flag­ged sto­ne flo­or. The­re we­re so­me pi­eces of fur­ni­tu­re in the hall an oak set­tle, a long tab­le and so­me cha­irs.
"You co­uld ma­ke it cosy," he sa­id.
"There is a fa­irly lar­ge kitc­hen and se­ve­ral bed­ro­oms. Re­mem­ber it is just a port in a storm.
I tur­ned to him.
"It's re­al­ly go­od of you," I sa­id.
"I'm af­ra­id you think I'm rat­her chur­lish at ti­mes. I know I owe you a gre­at de­al .. "
"But not­hing will ever set­tle the sco­re, will it? Per­haps in twenty ye­ars' ti­me, when you and I are no lon­ger yo­ung and I ha­ve shown you a li­fe­ti­me of de­vo­ti­on and that with you and the boy, and the ot­her child­ren we shall ha­ve, I can be qu­ite dif­fe­rent from that sa­va­ge you on­ce knew when you re­cog­ni­ze in me the only hus­band you co­uld pos­sibly lo­ve, then we shall call it qu­its. Do you think so?"
I tur­ned away from him, but he was be­si­de me.
"Do you, Ka­te?" he in­sis­ted.
"You spe­ak of the im­pos­sib­le."
"It might not al­ways be im­pos­sib­le," he rep­li­ed.
I was to re­mem­ber that. la­ter.
I was gro­wing mo­re ap­pre­hen­si­ve. The mo­re I re­tur­ned to what I cal­led nor­mal, the mo­re I re­ali­zed the dif­fi­cul­ti­es of the si­tu­ati­on in­to which I had fal­len. The­re was one gre­at re­com­pen­se and that was Ken­dal. In less than a we­ek he had star­ted to put on flesh; he had re­ga­ined his nor­mal vi­ta­lity; he was a he­althy, happy boy. That he lo­ved the cast­le and this new li­fe was un­de­ni­ab­le. He was gro­wing mo­re and mo­re fond of the Ba­ron I was be­gin­ning to call him Rol­lo to myself now. Ken­dal was not in the le­ast in awe of him and I don't think Rol­lo had ever had that sort of re­gard be­fo­re. He spent a lot of ti­me with the boy.
It was only the third day af­ter our re­turn when he told Ken­dal that he wan­ted to show him so­met­hing rat­her spe­ci­al in the stab­les; and when they had go­ne down the­re to­get­her a whi­te pony, such as he had desc­ri­bed on Christ­mas Day, was wa­iting.
Kendal ca­me in to tell me abo­ut it, che­eks scar­let and eyes glo­wing.
"There it was, Ma­man ... The­re it was ... just li­ke the Ba­ron sa­id . and it's mi­ne."
After that he had to le­arn to ri­de. So­me­ti­mes Rol­lo to­ok him out and they wo­uld ri­de ro­und the gre­ens­ward by the mo­at. So­me­ti­mes one of the gro­oms to­ok him.
The next day Je­an­ne ca­me to me, her eyes glo­wing with won­der.
"Look what the Ba­ron has gi­ven me," she sa­id.
"Do you re­mem­ber the Christ­mas pre­sents we tal­ked of? Well, he­re is the bro­och .. just as he desc­ri­bed it. He sa­id I had be­en so go­od, lo­oking af­ter you all ..."
She tur­ned away, her eyes fil­ling with te­ars. She was de­ligh­ted with the bro­och. She had ne­ver had anyt­hing ap­pro­ac­hing its va­lue be­fo­re.
Being a prac­ti­cal French­wo­man she wo­uld see it as a nest- egg, but it wo­uld ha­ve a sen­ti­men­tal va­lue for her as well.
Kendal was ove­rj­oyed when he saw it. He kept tal­king abo­ut it and when I went down to the mo­at I saw him on his le­ading re­in with Rol­lo be­si­de him.
He sho­uted to me: "Watch, Ma­man. Watch me. Ba­ron, ple­ase ... don't hold the re­ins."
He was al­lo­wed to trot on his own.
"He's go­ing to be a fi­ne hor­se­man," sa­id Rol­lo.
I sto­od the­re lo­oking at my son, his eyes spark­ling, his che­eks flus­hed with he­alth, la­ug­hing pro­udly, watc­hing us to ma­ke su­re we we­re ad­mi­ring him.
He ca­me back to us.
"Jeanne has a bro­och," he sa­id.
"It's her Christ­mas pre­sent co­me true."
Then he la­ug­hed sud­denly and to­ok my hand. He was lo­oking for the sap­phi­re ring which Rol­lo had desc­ri­bed.
He was di­sap­po­in­ted. I sa­id: "Well, aren't you go­ing to trot aga­in?"
But Rol­lo wo­uld not let it pass.
"You are lo­oking for the ring," he sa­id.
"Maman is the only one who has not got her pre­sent."
"Hers is not re­ady yet," sa­id Rol­lo.
"When will it be re­ady?" de­man­ded Ken­dal.
"She ought to ha­ve it, oughtn't she?"
"Yes," sa­id Rol­lo, 'she ought to ha­ve it. "
"But when ... ?"
Rollo lo­oked ste­adily at me.
"When?" he re­pe­ated.
"We can't all ha­ve pre­sents," I sa­id.
"You are lucky to ha­ve this lo­vely pony, and je­an­ne is lucky too."
Toa ought to be lucky, Ma­man. "
"I'll tell you so­met­hing," sa­id Rol­lo to Ken­dal.
"She will ha­ve that ring one day."
He was lo­oking at me ste­adily with that bur­ning ga­ze which re­min­ded me of that long-ago bed­ro­om . I felt ex­ci­te­ment ri­sing wit­hin me.
My fe­elings for this man we­re be­gin­ning to be be­yond my comp­re­hen­si­on.
Marie-Claude was sho­wing a gre­at in­te­rest in me. She won­de­red, na­tu­ral­ly, how I sho­uld ha­ve co­me to be with her hus­band in Pa­ris. She co­uld not qu­ite ac­cept the ac­co­unt of the chan­ce me­eting du­ring the bom­bard­ment when he had sa­ved Ken­dal's li­fe.
She had chan­ged in so­me ways from that yo­ung girl who had blit­hely go­ne off with her lo­ver at the fe­te cham­pet­re and con­duc­ted an int­ri­gue with him. Then she had be­en reck­less and im­pus­li­ve. Now she had be­co­me a ner­vo­us and ap­pre­hen­si­ve wo­man.
She was far from disp­le­ased that I had co­me to the cha­te­au and had no wish for me to le­ave and go to the Lo­ge. I think, stran­gely eno­ugh, I of­fe­red so­me com­fort to her.
Then the­re was Wil­li­am. Po­or lit­tle Wil­li­am! My he­art went out to him from the mo­ment I met him. Po­or child, he must ha­ve be­en un­wan­ted be­fo­re he ac­tu­al­ly ma­de his ap­pe­aran­ce. I won­de­red what Ma­rie-Cla­ude's fe­elings must ha­ve be­en when she knew that she was preg­nant and she wo­uld not be ab­le to hi­de the fact that the child was not his from the hus­band who ter­ri­fi­ed her.
I be­li­eved that she had re­sen­ted be­ing for­ced in­to mar­ri­age and that in a spi­rit of re­bel­li­on she had ta­ken a lo­ver. She was a sad sha­dow of the de­fi­ant girl she had be­en. The birth of Wil­li­am had ne­arly kil­led her, I dis­co­ve­red.
As for Wil­li­am, he was a small frigh­te­ned child. I felt in­dig­nant both with Rol­lo and Ma­rie-Cla­ude when I con­si­de­red the child. Wha­te­ver his di­sil­lu­si­on and her de­fi­an­ce, they had no right to let the child suf­fer for it.
Ignored by his pa­rents, he was cons­tantly trying to as­sert him­self. I un­ders­to­od why he did this, but tho­se abo­ut him se­emed to ha­ve ma­de up the­ir minds that he was simply an unp­le­asant lit­tle boy. He was, of co­ur­se, gre­atly in­te­res­ted in Ken­dal. My son had be­en wrap­ped abo­ut with lo­ve ever sin­ce his birth. I must ha­ve con­ve­yed to him that he was the most im­por­tant part of my li­fe; Ni­co­le had lo­ved him;
Jeanne, tho­ugh firm and ne­ver fa­iling to cor­rect his fa­ults, was de­vo­ted to him. And now Rol­lo sho­wed him a very spe­ci­al at­ten­ti­on. He was bu­ilt up in se­cu­rity. It had be­en just the op­po­si­te with Wil­li­am.
His pa­rents had not wan­ted to be bot­he­red with him; whe­ne­ver he saw his mot­her she se­emed pre­oc­cu­pi­ed with so­met­hing el­se and he was told that he must not stay with her too long be­ca­use of the ef­fect he had on her ner­ves. He told me this when I had ga­ined his con­fi­den­ce. As for his fat­her, he did not se­em to be awa­re of him.
William con­fi­ded in me that he be­li­eved the­re had be­en wic­ked fa­iri­es at his chris­te­ning who had dec­re­ed that whe­ne­ver his fat­her was the­re a clo­ak sho­uld be thrown ro­und Wil­li­am to ma­ke him in­vi­sib­le. Then they ma­de him do so­met­hing to worry his mot­her's ner­ves. He did not know what ner­ves we­re; all he was awa­re of was that he pos­ses­sed Is so­me myste­ri­o­us po­wer to dis­turb them.
"I don't know what I do," he sa­id.
"If I did I wo­uldn't do it. Oh, it is the­se wic­ked fa­iri­es."
I tal­ked abo­ut him with je­an­ne She was te­ac­hing Ken­dal and she sa­id she wo­uld ta­ke on Wil­li­am with him; and as they we­re only too glad to be rid of Wil­li­am in his own nur­sery, the two boys to­ok les­sons with je­an­ne We we­re ple­ased to dis­co­ver that Wil­li­am was by no me­ans dull.
"In fact," sa­id Je­an­ne, "I think with the right te­ac­hing he might turn out to be qu­ite cle­ver. We ha­ve to bre­ak down the­se bar­ri­ers first, tho­ugh. He is on the de­fen­si­ve all the ti­me."
At first Ken­dal did not li­ke him and de­man­ded to know if he had to be with him.
"He can't run as fast as I can," he sa­id con­temp­tu­o­usly.
"All the mo­re re­ason why you sho­uld be his fri­end," we told him.
"He's rat­her silly re­al­ly."
"That's what you think. He might think you are."
That as­to­nis­hed Ken­dal and he was very tho­ught­ful. Af­ter that I ca­ught him ob­ser­ving Wil­li­am very clo­sely. I knew he was won­de­ring in what way Wil­li­am co­uld pos­sibly think he was silly.
Then when Wil­li­am fo­und the ans­wer to a sum be­fo­re Ken­dal did, so Je­an­ne told me, it se­emed to mark a dif­fe­ren­ce in the­ir re­la­ti­ons­hip.
Kendal had had pro­of that Wil­li­am was bet­ter at so­me things than he was. It was a go­od les­son for him.
Jeanne had a way with child­ren. She la­id down ru­les which had to be obe­yed and they se­emed to li­ke that. Wil­li­am was al­ways in the scho­ol­ro­om in ti­me and Je­an­ne and I no­ti­ced that the two boys of­ten went off to­get­her. Ken­dal was un­do­ub­tedly the le­ader of the ga­mes and de­ci­ded what they sho­uld play, but in the clas­sro­om Wil­li­am wo­uld of­ten ans­wer first.
"I al­low a lit­tle sub­ter­fu­ge now and then," sa­id Je­an­ne.
"It is mo­re im­por­tant for them to be fri­ends. So I pre­tend not to see it, when Wil­li­am pas­ses an ans­wer to Ken­dal. I want Ken­dal to re­ali­ze that he is not su­pe­ri­or be­ca­use he can ri­de and run bet­ter and is an inch or so tal­ler."
I was gi­ven the ro­om in which I had first wor­ked on the Ba­ron's mi­ni­atu­re in or­der that I might pa­int if I wan­ted to. The boys used to co­me up the­re and Ken­dal lo­ved to draw and pa­int.
I ga­ve Wil­li­am so­me pa­ints and let him try his hand. It was cle­ar that he was not go­ing to be an ar­tist.
"See if you can draw a fa­ce," I sa­id, 'and then pa­int it. But draw it first. "
William did so­met­hing which was me­ant to be a port­ra­it. I co­uld not tell who it was me­ant to be.
"It's my fat­her," he sa­id. See . he's big and strong. He's the stron­gest man in the world. "
"That's not li­ke him," sa­id Ken­daS, and pro­ce­eded to do a sketch which un­do­ub­tedly bo­re mo­re than a slight re­semb­lan­ce to the Ba­ron.
William was over­co­me with awe. He lo­oked at me sadly.
"I wish I co­uld draw my fat­her," he sa­id.
I let my hand rest lightly on his sho­ul­der and rep­li­ed:
"Never mind. It was a go­od try. Al­ways re­mem­ber that if you can't do one thing, the­re are al­ways ot­hers you can do. Ma­de­mo­isel­le Je­an­ne tells me you are qu­ick with yo­ur sums."
"I li­ke sums," he sa­id, smi­ling.
"Well then ..." I le­aned to­wards him and whis­pe­red: "I think you be­at Ken­dal at them ... and he can draw a lit­tle bet­ter than you can. He's my son and I'm an ar­tist. His grand­fat­her was an ar­tist and his gre­at... gre­at... as many gre­ats as you can think of... we­re.
It's in the fa­mily. "
"He's li­ke them. I'll be li­ke my fat­her when I'm grown up."
It all ca­me back to one thing. He ido­li­zed the fat­her who ig­no­red him.
I felt my an­ger ri­sing aga­inst Rol­lo on­ce mo­re.
Rollo was al­ways se­eking an op­por­tu­nity to be alo­ne with me. It was ti­me I left the cast­le. When I was in the Lo­ge it must be easi­er, I told myself. Then it oc­cur­red to me that it might be wor­se. I sho­uld not go the­re. I sho­uld le­ave wit­ho­ut de­lay. But whe­re co­uld I go to?
And what of Ken­dal? He must not get thin and ill-no­uris­hed aga­in.
I re­monst­ra­ted with Rol­lo.
"You are cru­el to Wil­li­am' I told him.
"Why do you ha­ve to be­ha­ve as tho­ugh the boy is not the­re?"
"It's the easi­est way to to­le­ra­te him."
"You vent yo­ur petty spi­te on a child. I think that is des­pi­cab­le."
"Dear Ka­te, I can't pre­tend to li­ke the boy. Every ti­me I see him, I re­mem­ber who he is. L'Estran­ge's bas­tard. You co­uldn't ex­pect me to tre­at him as tho­ugh he we­re my own child."
"You co­uld pre­tend."
"I'm not go­od at pre­ten­ce."
"I tho­ught you we­re sup­po­sed to be go­od at anyt­hing you put yo­ur mind to."
"Not that. I ne­ver want to see the boy."
"And now Ken­dal is he­re, it is wor­se. I saw Wil­li­am watc­hing you the ot­her day when you we­re with Ken­dal. He ca­me run­ning to you and you went on tal­king to Ken­dal as tho­ugh Wil­li­am we­re not the­re. Can't you see what you are do­ing to the child?"
"I don't see him at all."
"It's cru­el, and for so­me in­comp­re­hen­sib­le re­ason, the boy se­ems to ido­li­ze you."
"It's ob­vi­o­usly the right way to tre­at him then."
"A lit­tle no­ti­ce from you wo­uld ma­ke him comp­le­tely happy."
"You are sen­ti­men­tal Ka­te. Turn yo­ur sen­ti­ments to a mo­re worthy ca­use."
"You won­der why I don't ca­re for you. If you wo­uld ta­ke a go­od lo­ok at yo­ur­self, you wo­uld see why no­body co­uld."
"You are il­lo­gi­cal, Ka­te. A mo­ment ago you we­re tel­ling me the boy ido­li­zed me. But why, when we are to­get­her, do we was­te our ti­me tal­king abo­ut him?"
"I hap­pen to be in­te­res­ted in him." I shrug­ged my sho­ul­ders and tur­ned away.
He was be­si­de me, ta­king my hand.
"It's hard go­ing on li­ke this," he sa­id.
"Every night . you're in the cast­le ... and not with me."
"I shall be go­ing to the Lo­ge to­mor­row."
"And I shall be thin­king of you the­re in just the sa­me way."
"I won­der if I ought to try to get to Eng­land. They'll be wor­ri­ed abo­ut me. Go­od he­avens, they will be thin­king I am still in Pa­ris.
They'll know the news, of co­ur­se. "
"I sho­uld think the who­le world knows of the hu­mi­li­ati­on of Pa­ris "Is it pos­sib­le to get a let­ter to Eng­land?"
"It might be. I don't know what's hap­pe­ning at the ports. The si­tu­ati­on is rat­her va­gue. I gat­her that the Com­mu­nists of Pa­ris are now figh­ting aga­inst the new Re­pub­lic. They don't want a pe­ace­ful so­lu­ti­on. It se­ems they want re­vo­lu­ti­on aga­in. The­re is no law and or­der in the city. Thank God we got away when we did, he­aven knows what wo­uld ha­ve hap­pe­ned to us among that mad rab­ble. They are ri­oting still and dest­ro­ying bu­il­dings. It se­ems it is just for the sa­ke of dest­ruc­ti­on. You wo­uld think Pa­ris had suf­fe­red eno­ugh."
"It se­ems as if I shall ne­ver get back."
"It will be a long ti­me."
"I am su­re my step­mot­her will be an­xi­o­us. I ha­ven't he­ard from her sin­ce the de­ath of my fat­her. That was just be­fo­re the si­ege star­ted.
She wro­te a he­artb­re­aking let­ter to me. Po­or Cla­re! She is very gent­le wo­man . unab­le to ta­ke ca­re of her­self very well. I sho­uld li­ke her to know that I am sa­fe. "
"I'll tell you what I'll do. Wri­te yo­ur let­ter to her and I'll send a man to the co­ast with it to see what the po­si­ti­on is. I don't know whet­her the pac­ket bo­ats are go­ing back and forth ac­ross the Chan­nel. It may well be that they are. Wri­te yo­ur let­ter and he will ta­ke it. If he can send it, all well and go­od. If not. well, we'll try aga­in la­ter. "
"Thank you. That's go­od of you."
"Oh, Ka­te, you wo­uld find out how very go­od I can be if only ..."
"It's a for­bid­den su­bj­ect."
"Tell me one thing. If I we­re free ..."
"You are not free. Ple­ase don't talk in this way. You can­not be free, and the­re is an end to it. If I co­uld le­ave for Eng­land, I co­uld stay with my step­mot­her for a whi­le un­til I de­ci­ded what I co­uld do."
"Then per­haps I had bet­ter not send that let­ter." He la­ug­hed at me.
"No, Ka­te, you ta­ke me too se­ri­o­usly so­me­ti­mes. Of co­ur­se, I'll get that let­ter ac­ross if it is pos­sib­le. I'm not the man to be frigh­te­ned of a step­mot­her."
"Thank you," I sa­id.
The next day Ken­dal' Je­an­ne and I mo­ved in­to the Lo­ge.
Jeanne and I fo­und it mo­re com­for­tab­le li­ving in the Lo­ge. The­re was a co­si­ness abo­ut it which the cast­le lac­ked. We co­uld get the pla­ce warm be­ca­use it was so small, and nest­ling be­low the cast­le me­ant that it was pro­tec­ted from the cold winds which buf­fe­ted the gre­at edi­fi­ce abo­ve us.
It had be­en ar­ran­ged that Je­an­ne and Ken­dal sho­uld go to the cast­le for les­sons be­ca­use Wil­li­am wo­uld jo­in them the­re. Je­an­ne and I nat­te­red each ot­her and our­sel­ves that the­re was a per­cep­tib­le chan­ge in Wil­li­am sin­ce we had co­me; he had lost a lit­tle of his ner­vo­us­ness and the fact that he had his mo­ments of tri­umph in the scho­ol­ro­om ga­ve him con­fi­den­ce. Ken­dal had ta­ken up an al­most pro­tec­ti­ve at­ti­tu­de to­wards him sin­ce Je­an­ne and I had told him that he must not be too ro­ugh with him; and ins­te­ad of re­sen­ting this at­ti­tu­de, Wil­li­am se­emed to ap­pre­ci­ate it.
As for myself, I was very res­ti­ve. I did not li­ke to be so re­li­ant on Rol­lo's hos­pi­ta­lity. Had I be­en alo­ne, I sho­uld ha­ve at­temp­ted to get to Eng­land, but be­ca­use of Ken­dal I was very un­cer­ta­in. Ha­ving se­en him so wan and ill- no­uris­hed, I was af­ra­id to su­bj­ect him to anyt­hing li­ke that aga­in. I of­ten won­de­red if the or­de­al had we­ake­ned him a lit­tle alt­ho­ugh he sho­wed no signs of it. In any ca­se, be­ca­use I was de­ter­mi­ned not to su­bj­ect him to anyt­hing li­ke that aga­in, if I co­uld help it, I must sub­mer­ge my pri­de and ac­cept this po­si­ti­on for that re­ason.
I was not blind to the fact that it was an exp­lo­si­ve si­tu­ati­on. The­re we­re sche­mes in Rol­lo's mind, and I had re­ason to know to what lengths he wo­uld be ca­pab­le of go­ing in or­der to carry them out. His pas­si­on for me se­emed to inc­re­ase and he was get­ting im­pa­ti­ent. He ma­de no at­tempt to dis­gu­ise his pri­de in Ken­dal, and I fo­und it dis­tur­bing to li­ve un­der the sa­me ro­of for one might say that, even tho­ugh I was the Lo­ge as him­self and his wi­fe.
I must get away. I told myself that a hund­red ti­mes a day. But how?
That was the qu­es­ti­on.
I was eager for news of what was hap­pe­ning in the co­untry. Pa­ris was in tur­mo­il. The­re was news of a Na­ti­onal As­sembly to be held at Bor­de­a­ux. The­re we­re me­etings at Ver­sa­il­les. The co­untry was in di­sor­der, and we we­re for­tu­na­te to be in our lit­tle oasis, the li­ke of which the­re co­uld only be a few in re­mo­te co­untry pla­ces thro­ug­ho­ut the who­le of Fran­ce.
So I must be ca­re­ful. I must not be rash. I must swal­low my pri­de and ac­cept this ext­ra­or­di­nary si­tu­ati­on un­til I co­uld see a way out of it.
If I we­re ho­nest with myself I wo­uld ad­mit that I did not want to go away. It was go­ing to ta­ke me no less than the ot­hers so­me ti­me to re­co­ver from the fe­ar­ful or­de­al thro­ugh which I had pas­sed in the Pa­ris si­ege. The­re was only one thing to do . wa­it. And I was re­li­eved in a way that cir­cums­tan­ces for­ced me to ac­cept this.
On my first mor­ning at the Lo­ge, Rol­lo cal­led. Je­an­ne and Ken­dal had go­ne up to the cast­le for les­sons so I was alo­ne.
He was cle­arly de­ligh­ted by this and, I ex­pec­ted, had ar­ran­ged to co­me at this ti­me.
"Well," he sa­id, 'how do you fe­el abo­ut this pla­ce? "
"It is very com­for­tab­le."
"And we are not far apart. In a way this is pro­bably mo­re con­ve­ni­ent."
"Convenient?" I as­ked.
"There is mo­re ... so­li­tu­de." He was lo­oking at me ear­nestly.
"What are we go­ing to do, Ka­te?"
"Do? We? Ken­dal and I will ha­ve to stay he­re un­til I can work so­met­hing out."
"I can think of a ple­asant way of wor­king it out."
"I must get back to Pa­ris or go to Eng­land. I think per­haps the lat­ter wo­uld be best for, as you say, it will ta­ke a long ti­me for Pa­ris to get back to nor­mal."
"What wo­uld you do in Eng­land?"
"Paint."
"You are not known in Eng­land."
"My fat­her was."
"You are not yo­ur fat­her. I set you up in Pa­ris. It was my re­com­men­da­ti­ons which bro­ught tho­se sit­ters."
"I know that now, but I must try. Me­rit will win thro­ugh in the end."
"Meanwhile, in the tra­di­ti­on of ar­tists, you will star­ve in yo­ur gar­ret. Ar­tists can only be suc­ces­sful if they are fas­hi­onab­le. Pe­op­le are li­ke she­ep. They are told: " This is go­od" and they say: " This is go­od". If they are not told they do not know ... and obs­cu­rity for them me­ans in­com­pe­ten­ce."
"I know that it is true, but I think that even­tu­al­ly hard work wins thro­ugh."
"When you're de­ad, per­haps. But that is not go­ing to ke­ep you and the boy in lu­xury ... not even the ne­ces­si­ti­es of li­fe. Be sen­sib­le Ka­te.
You and I will be to­get­her. You shall ha­ve a stu­dio. I swe­ar I'll ne­ver in­ter­fe­re with yo­ur work. I'll ha­ve the boy le­gi­ti­mi­zed."
"How can that be?"
"It's pos­sib­le. It won't be the first ti­me it has be­en do­ne. We'll ha­ve a ho­me to­get­her. We'll cho­ose the pla­ce. You shall cho­ose it. We be­long to­get­her. I know that to be true ... mo­re than I ha­ve ever known anyt­hing."
"You are a man of wi­de ex­pe­ri­en­ce," I sa­id, 'and you ma­ke yo­ur plans and de­ci­de what is to be do­ne not only by yo­ur­self but by ever­yo­ne el­se. The­re is one thing you ha­ve not le­ar­ned yet and that is that whe­re two pe­op­le are con­cer­ned the­re are two opi­ni­ons . two wills.
You may ha­ve be­en ab­le to bend pe­op­le yo­ur way in the past, but it do­es not work li­ke that with ever­yo­ne. "
"I know, Ka­te. I'm le­ar­ning."
"You are be­co­ming qu­ite humb­le ... for you."
"It's all part of what you are te­ac­hing me, and you are te­ac­hing me a gre­at de­al, Ka­te. I ne­ver tho­ught I co­uld be­co­me as ob­ses­sed by a wo­man as I am by you."
"Might that be be­ca­use you can­not ha­ve me?"
"Cannot is a word I don't ac­cept."
"It is a word we all ha­ve t(› ac­cept at ti­mes ... even you."
He to­ok me in his arms sud­denly and kis­sed me vi­olently. I was ta­ken off my gu­ard and for a few se­conds did not fight back. The tho­ught flas­hed in­to my mind: We are alo­ne in this ho­use. I am at his mercy.
And alt­ho­ugh I tri­ed to sup­press the wild ex­ci­te­ment which pos­ses­sed me, I co­uld not.
I was des­pe­ra­tely af­ra­id that he wo­uld sen­se my fe­elings. He must ne­ver know how he co­uld ta­ke me off my gu­ard, stir my emo­ti­ons, ma­ke me fe­el that I wan­ted him to use vi­olen­ce aga­inst me. I dre­amed so­me­ti­mes that I was in that bed­ro­om in the to­wer, and when I awo­ke it was not with a sen­se of fe­ar and re­vul­si­on, but of lon­ging to be the­re in fact.
At the back of my mind this chan­ge in my fe­elings to­wards him was one of the re­asons why I knew I ought to get away be­fo­re it overw­hel­med me.
I withd­rew myself with a show of in­dig­na­ti­on.
"I think," I sa­id slowly, 'that I ought to go away . now . wit­ho­ut de­lay. "
He to­ok my hands and kis­sed them.
"No," he sa­id pas­si­ona­tely.
"No, Ka­te, ne­ver le­ave me."
I tri­ed to work up a fury aga­inst him.
"You know the po­si­ti­on I'm in he­re. I ha­ve now­he­re to go. I ha­ve a child who has to be ca­red for. I ha­ve to stay he­re ... aga­inst my will I ha­ve to stay. But I ha­ve no in­ten­ti­on of set­ting up as yo­ur mist­ress li­ke ... Ni­co­le .. "
My vo­ice sho­ok and I felt the te­ars rush to my eyes.
The men­ti­on of Ni­co­le's na­me so­be­red us both. He had be­en mo­re de­eply af­fec­ted by her de­ath than he had bet­ra­yed. I was won­de­ring now what her ad­vi­ce wo­uld be if she we­re ali­ve to gi­ve it.
I wal­ked away from him and went to the win­dow.
I sa­id: "I want to earn so­met­hing whi­le I am he­re. I don't want to li­ve on yo­ur bo­unty. I sho­uld ti­ke to pa­int aga­in. I was go­ing to ask if I might do a mi­ni­atu­re of Wil­li­am."
"William! Why wo­uld an­yo­ne want a mi­ni­atu­re of Wi­li­am?"
"If he had go­od pa­rents that wo­uld se­em a su­perf­lu­o­us qu­es­ti­on. Alas, po­or boy, he is sadly neg­lec­ted. I want to do so­met­hing. I want you to ask me to pa­int a mi­ni­atu­re of Wil­li­am."
"All right, " he sa­id. "Do it."
"I shall ha­ve to co­me to the cast­le. The light wo­uldn't be go­od eno­ugh he­re."
"Kate, you may co­me to the cast­le whe­ne­ver you wish to do so."
"Thank you, and I shall tell Wil­li­am that you want this port­ra­it of him."

LOVER "I?"

"Yes, you. That will ple­ase him so much. And per­haps when it is be­ing do­ne, you will co­me to the stu­dio and disp­lay a lit­tle in­te­rest in what is go­ing on."
"I'm al­ways in­te­res­ted in yo­ur work."
"Please show a lit­tle in­te­rest in Wil­li­am."
"For you ... anyt­hing," he sa­id.
William was de­ligh­ted when I told him I was to pa­int his port­ra­it.
"Will it be a lit­tle one?" he as­ked.
"And will Ken­dal ha­ve one too?"
"Perhaps. Ken­dal has many. I used to pa­int him when we we­re in Pa­ris."
"Show me."
"I can't. When we left Pa­ris we had to le­ave everyt­hing be­hind. Now we shall ha­ve to see if we can find the ne­ces­sary pa­ints to ma­ke yo­ur port­ra­it."
Rollo was help­ful. He knew of an ar­tist who li­ved a few mi­les away and he tho­ught it was pos­sib­le that he might be ab­le to supply the pa­ints we ne­eded, alt­ho­ugh it was do­ubt­ful that he wo­uld ha­ve the ivory I sho­uld ne­ed for the sup­port. I sig­hed to think of all we had left be­hind in Pa­ris.
Rollo went to see the ar­tist and bro­ught back pa­ints and vel­lum as the­re was no ivory ava­ilab­le.
"I can use vel­lum," I sa­id.
"After all, it was used in the six­te­enth cen­tury and was the fo­un­da­ti­on of many mi­ni­atu­re mas­ter­pi­eces."
The boys we­re with me in that ro­om in the cast­le whe­re I had first pa­in­ted Rol­lo. They watc­hed me stretch the vel­lum over a stiff whi­te card glu­e­ing it whe­re it over­lap­ped and then pres­sing it bet­we­en she­ets of pa­per.
William was par­ti­cu­larly ex­ci­ted. It was won­der­ful to see that lo­ok of ha­un­ted de­fi­an­ce le­aving his fa­ce.

I I

I tho­ught: I will ma­ke an in­te­res­ting port­ra­it of him. I will show him and ever­yo­ne el­se how he can lo­ok if he is happy.
I felt ali­ve aga­in. It was won­der­ful to be wor­king. I co­uld shut out all my prob­lems as I did in the old days. I wo­uld sit chat­ting to Wil­li­am, and Ken­dal was the­re too. He was sketc­hing Wil­li­am and, sit­ting the­re, with all at­ten­ti­on fo­cu­sed on him, Wil­li­am se­emed to grow in sta­tu­re. It was the first ti­me in his li­fe that he had felt he was im­por­tant to so­me­one.
I wo­uld work slowly on the port­ra­it, I de­ci­ded. Af­ter all, I was not only ma­king a pic­tu­re, I was hel­ping to adj­ust the mind of a lit­tle boy who had be­en very un­fa­irly tre­ated.
The boys to­ok les­sons in the af­ter­no­ons as I li­ked to pa­int in the mor­nings, and whi­le they we­re with je­an­ne I to­ok the op­por­tu­nity to walk or ri­de. I li­ked best to ri­de. When wal­king, it was dif­fi­cult to ge­fo­ut of sight of the cast­le. One had to go a very long way to lo­se it, for it se­emed to do­mi­na­te the lands­ca­pe.
There we­re plenty of hor­ses at the cast­le and I had the pick of se­ve­ral mo­unts, but the­re was a lit­tle bay ma­re of which I was par­ti­cu­larly fond. She was a lit­tle frisky but res­pon­ded to firm tre­at­ment, and I think she li­ked me to ri­de her.
One af­ter­no­on I went to the stab­les and Ma­rie Cla­ude was the­re. A hor­se was be­ing sad­dled for her- one which, I knew, had a re­pu­ta­ti­on for be­ing qu­i­et and do­ci­le.
"Good af­ter­no­on," she sa­id.
"Are you go­ing to ri­de?"
I sa­id that I was.
"Then we shall go to­get­her?"
I sa­id that wo­uld be very ple­asant and we ro­de out un­der the port­cul­lis and down the slo­pe, chat­ting as we went.
"I didn't re­ali­ze that you we­re a hor­se­wo­man, Ma­de­mo­isel­le Col­li­son," she sa­id.
"I ri­de in Eng­land."
"Of co­ur­se the­re wasn't the op­por­tu­nity in Pa­ris. How glad you must be to ha­ve es­ca­ped from all that."
"It was a gre­at ex­pe­ri­en­ce to ha­ve li­ved thro­ugh, but one ne­ver wants to ha­ve to do it aga­in."
"There must be lots of pe­op­le in Pa­ris who fe­el li­ke that. But... how I miss Pa­ris! The old Pa­ris, that is. I think I shall ne­ver be happy away from it."
"Alas, you wo­uld find it sadly chan­ged."
"I know. Tho­se stu­pid pe­op­le and the­ir wars!"
We ro­de in si­len­ce for a whi­le. She to­ok the le­ad and I fol­lo­wed.
"I ne­ver ri­de far," she cal­led over her sho­ul­der.
"I get so ti­red. I li­ke to go to my fa­vo­uri­te spot and lo­ok at the vi­ew."
"Are we go­ing the­re now?"
"Yes. I tho­ught we'd tie up the hor­ses and ... talk. It's im­pos­sib­le to hold a re­aso­nab­le con­ver­sa­ti­on on hor­se­back."
I ag­re­ed and we fell on­ce mo­re in­to si­len­ce.
I lo­oked back. I co­uld not now see the cast­le. She no­ti­ced me and gu­es­sed what I was thin­king.
"That's one of the re­asons why it is my fa­vo­uri­te spot. From it, it is im­pos­sib­le to see the cast­le."
We skir­ted so­me wo­ods. The co­untry­si­de had be­co­me mo­re hilly now. I ca­ught a glimp­se of the ri­ver run­ning be­low us; it glin­ted sil­ver in the sun­light.
"It's pretty he­re," she sa­id.
"I li­ke to sit right on the crest of the hill. The­re are bus­hes up the­re and so­me of them grow qu­ite high ... high eno­ugh to gi­ve a lit­tle shel­ter from the wind when it blows. I sit up the­re and lo­ok out. You can see for mi­les."
We re­ac­hed the top of the hill.
"We'll tie our hor­ses the­re. Isn't it stran­ge that we sho­uld ha­ve co­me to­get­her aga­in."
We tet­he­red the hor­ses and wal­ked a lit­tle way.
"Sit he­re," she sa­id and we sat down in the pro­tec­ti­on of the bus­hes.
"I ne­ver tho­ught I sho­uld see you aga­in," she went on, 'unless it was at so­me gat­he­ring. That was when I tho­ught you we­re go­ing to marry Bert­rand de Mor­te­mer. Then it wo­uld ha­ve be­en qu­ite re­aso­nab­le for us to me­et. "
"Strange things hap­pen in li­fe," I com­men­ted.
"Very stran­ge." She tur­ned to lo­ok at me.
"I'll con­fess to be­ing very cu­ri­o­us abo­ut you, Ka­te. I may call you Ka­te? I did be­fo­re, didn't I?
Will you call me Ma­rie Cla­ude
"If you wish."
"I do," she rep­li­ed with a to­uch of the im­pe­ri­o­us man­ner I re­mem­be­red from the past.
She went on: "I ad­mi­re you very much. I wish that I had had yo­ur co­ura­ge. You ha­ve a child but you did not marry its fat­her. How wi­se you we­re! If I had not be­en mar­ri­ed how much hap­pi­er I sho­uld ha­ve be­en! But I sup­po­se it was easi­er for you than it wo­uld ha­ve be­en for me."
"Yes," I sa­id.
"I didn't re­al­ly lo­ve Ar­mand L'Estran­ge. Per­haps if I had I sho­uld ha­ve de­fi­ed ever­yo­ne and mar­ri­ed him. I was al­ways ter­ri­fi­ed of Rol­lo in fact I co­uld ne­ver be anyt­hing el­se. He is a ruth­less man, Ka­te.
Only tho­se who ha­ve li­ved ne­ar him know how ruth­less."
"I think I ha­ve gat­he­red that."
"The mar­ri­age was ar­ran­ged, as you know, and I was angry. I didn't want to marry him. You know that. You we­re the­re be­fo­re I did. You wo­uldn't want to marry so­me­one who ter­ri­fi­ed you, wo­uld you?"
"Indeed not," I sa­id.
"And then the­re was Ar­mand. He was so char­ming... so dif­fe­rent. He was gal­lant and ma­de me fe­el that the­re was so­met­hing very spe­ci­al abo­ut me. I just wan­ted to be lo­ved. You know abo­ut us. You we­re at the fe­te cham­pet­re and then the­re we­re the no­tes you to­ok. Do you re­mem­ber the ti­me Rol­lo tri­ed to get hold of the no­tes which you col­lec­ted for me at the mo­dis­te's? That mat­ter of the ta­xi..."
"I re­mem­ber it well."
R
"He must ha­ve sus­pec­ted then, I was so frigh­te­ned. If that had hap­pe­ned be­fo­re ... I don't think I sho­uld ha­ve star­ted with Ar­mand."
I sat sta­ring ahe­ad thin­king of that ter­rif­ying ri­de ac­ross Pa­ris in the cab.
"You see he sus­pec­ted me ... even then."
I he­si­ta­ted, but I co­uld not tell her that it was for a dif­fe­rent re­ason that I had be­en ne­arly ab­duc­ted.
"And yet," she went on, 'he pre­ten­ded to be surp­ri­sed. I shall ne­ver for­get my wed­ding day . I me­an the hor­ror of it. I sup­po­se no­body ever for­gets a wed­ding day. but ot­her pe­op­le's wo­uld be re­mem­be­red dif­fe­rently. I don't know how I li­ved thro­ugh it. And he knew, of co­ur­se. I don't think he min­ded so much abo­ut that. It was when the child was to be born too so­on that he was mad with ra­ge. I tri­ed to get rid of it. It didn't work. Who wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught to lo­ok at Wil­li­am that he co­uld ha­ve be­en so obs­ti­na­te! Rol­lo had a way of fin­ding out things, then he ma­de me tell him . everyt­hing. He was to ha­ve a child which was not his! You can un­ders­tand how fu­ri­o­us he was.
"
Yes, I can," I sa­id.
"You think he had re­ason to be. But I didn't want to marry him in the first pla­ce. If I had se­en yo­ur examp­le then I might ha­ve sto­od out aga­inst him. I might ha­ve be­en free... as you we­re. Why didn't you marry Bert­rand? You we­re bet­rot­hed. You we­re in lo­ve. And the­re was to be a child and yet... you didn't marry him. That se­ems very stran­ge."
"I did what I felt was best."
"It was bra­ve of you. And you set up that stu­dio in Pa­ris and you didn't ca­re... And no­body se­emed to mind."
"I li­ved in a bo­he­mi­an so­ci­ety, and as I told you, con­ven­ti­ons are not con­si­de­red to be of such im­por­tan­ce the­re as they are in Co­urt circ­les."
"I wish I had li­ved in such a so­ci­ety. Not­hing was right for me. I was mar­ri­ed to a man I was af­ra­id of ... I was go­ing to ha­ve a child which was not his. So­me­ti­mes I wis­hed I co­uld just die and le­ave it to ot­her pe­op­le to sort out."
"You must ne­ver fe­el li­ke that."
"But I do... now and then. You see, the fact that I tri­ed to get rid of Wil­li­am did so­met­hing to me. It didn't stop his co­ming but ... the­re was so­me da­ma­ge. I can't ha­ve any mo­re child­ren. That's anot­her re­ason why Rol­lo ha­tes me."
"He can't ha­te you."
"Now you are tal­king as so many pe­op­le talk. Why can't he ha­te me, pray? Of co­ur­se he ha­tes an­yo­ne who stands in the way of what he wants. He wo­uld li­ke to get rid of me and marry so­me­one who co­uld gi­ve him child­ren ... sons just li­ke him­self."
"We all ha­ve to adj­ust our­sel­ves to li­fe. Even he has to do that."
"Sometimes it do­esn't se­em worth the ef­fort. Ima­gi­ne how it was. I was go­ing to ha­ve the child who was go­ing to ap­pe­ar too so­on. I was sick and wretc­hed ... des­pe­ra­tely frigh­te­ned of child­birth and even mo­re frigh­te­ned of him. I used to co­me up he­re and sit down and think.
I'd lo­ok over the­re. That's whe­re Pa­ris is ... In that di­rec­ti­on ... if only the­re wasn't so much in bet­we­en. I lon­ged to be back the­re.
Sometimes I tho­ught of clim­bing a lit­tle hig­her to the Pe­ak. That's a spot whe­re the land stops sud­denly and the­re is a big drop down.
Someone fell over not long ago. It was in the mist. It was a far­mer who had lost his way and co­uldn't find his be­arings. He step­ped out . in­to not­hing. I'll show you be­fo­re we le­ave. It's just up the­re. I used to think how easy it wo­uld be to ta­ke that step. That wo­uld end it. No one co­uld bla­me me for anyt­hing then. And how ple­ased Rol­lo wo­uld be. He co­uld wi­pe me out of his li­fe and start aga­in. "
"How un­hap­py you must ha­ve be­en!"
"More frigh­te­ned than anyt­hing el­se. Be­li­eve me, at one ti­me I tho­ught it wo­uld be easi­er to do that than to go on."
"Poor Ma­rie-Cla­ude, how you must ha­ve suf­fe­red!"
"He must ha­ve sus­pec­ted then, I was so frigh­te­ned. If that had hap­pe­ned be­fo­re ... I don't think I sho­uld ha­ve star­ted wit­hAr­mand."
I sat sta­ring ahe­ad thin­king of that ter­rif­ying ri­de ac­ross Pa­ris in the cab.
"You see he sus­pec­ted me ... even then."
I he­si­ta­ted, but I co­uld not tell her that it was for a dif­fe­rent re­ason that I had be­en ne­arly ab­duc­ted.
"And yet," she went on, 'he pre­ten­ded to be surp­ri­sed. I shall ne­ver for­get my wed­ding day . I me­an the hor­ror of it. I sup­po­se no­body ever for­gets a wed­ding day. but ot­her pe­op­le's wo­uld be re­mem­be­red dif­fe­rently. I don't know how I li­ved thro­ugh it. And he knew, of co­ur­se. I don't think he min­ded so much abo­ut that. It was when the child was to be born too so­on that he was mad with ra­ge. I tri­ed to get rid of it. It didn't work. Who wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught to lo­ok at Wil­li­am that he co­uld ha­ve be­en so obs­ti­na­te! Rol­lo had a way of fin­ding out things, then he ma­de me tell him . everyt­hing. He was to ha­ve a child which was not his! You can un­ders­tand how fu­ri­o­us he was.
"
"Yes, I can," I sa­id.
"You think he had re­ason to be. But I didn't want to marry him in the first pla­ce. If I had se­en yo­ur examp­le then I might ha­ve sto­od out aga­inst him. I might ha­ve be­en free... as you we­re. Why didn't you marry Bert­rand? You we­re bet­rot­hed. You we­re in lo­ve. And the­re was to be a child and yet... you didn't marry him. That se­ems very stran­ge."
"I did what I felt was best."
"It was bra­ve of you. And you set up that stu­dio in Pa­ris and you didn't ca­re... And no­body se­emed to mind."
"I li­ved in a bo­he­mi­an so­ci­ety, and as I told you, con­ven­ti­ons are not con­si­de­red to be of such im­por­tan­ce the­re as they are in Co­urt circ­les."
"I wish I had li­ved in such a so­ci­ety. Not­hing was right for me. I was mar­ri­ed to a man I was af­ra­id of.-.I was go­ing to ha­ve a child which was not his. So­me­ti­mes I wis­hed I co­uld just die and le­ave it to ot­her pe­op­le to sort out."
"You must ne­ver fe­el li­ke that."
"But I do... now and then. You see, the fact that I tri­ed to get rid of Wil­li­am did so­met­hing to me. It didn't stop his co­ming but ... the­re was so­me da­ma­ge. I can't ha­ve any mo­re child­ren. That's anot­her re­ason why Rol­lo ha­tes me."
"He can't ha­te you."
"Now you are tal­king as so many pe­op­le talk. Why can't he ha­te me, pray? Of co­ur­se he ha­tes an­yo­ne who stands in the way of what he wants. He wo­uld li­ke to get rid of me and marry so­me­one who co­uld gi­ve him child­ren ... sons just li­ke him­self."
"We all ha­ve to adj­ust our­sel­ves to li­fe. Even he has to do that."
"Sometimes it do­esn't se­em worth the ef­fort. Ima­gi­ne how it was. I was go­ing to ha­ve the child who was go­ing to ap­pe­ar too so­on. I was sick and wretc­hed ... des­pe­ra­tely frigh­te­ned of child­birth and even mo­re frigh­te­ned of him. I used to co­me up he­re and sit down and think.
I'd lo­ok over the­re. That's whe­re Pa­ris is ... In that di­rec­ti­on ... if only the­re wasn't so much in bet­we­en. I lon­ged to be back the­re.
Sometimes I tho­ught of clim­bing a lit­tle hig­her to the Pe­ak. That's a spot whe­re the land stops sud­denly and the­re is a big drop down.
Someone fell over not long ago. It was in the mist. It was a far­mer who had lost his way and co­uldn't find his be­arings. He step­ped out . in­to not­hing. I'll show you be­fo­re we le­ave. It's just up the­re. I used to think how easy it wo­uld be to ta­ke that step. That wo­uld end it. No one co­uld bla­me me for anyt­hing then. And how ple­ased Rol­lo wo­uld be. He co­uld wi­pe me out of his li­fe and start aga­in. "
"How un­hap­py you must ha­ve be­en!"
"More frigh­te­ned than anyt­hing el­se. Be­li­eve me, at one ti­me I tho­ught it wo­uld be easi­er to do that than to go on."
"Poor Ma­rie-Cla­ude, how you must ha­ve suf­fe­red!"
"Even now ... so­me­ti­mes I think, is it worth whi­le go­ing on?"
"You ha­ve yo­ur lit­tle boy."
"William! He's the ca­use of all the tro­ub­le. But for him I sho­uld pro­bably ha­ve had mo­re child­ren. I might ha­ve grown less sca­red of Rol­lo. Who knows, I might ha­ve be­en ab­le to gi­ve him what he wan­ted."
I was fe­eling va­gu­ely ap­pre­hen­si­ve. I gu­es­sed that la­ter she might reg­ret ha­ving told me so much. She tur­ned to me im­pul­si­vely.
"Mine is such a wretc­hed story. Don't let's talk of it any mo­re. How dif­fe­rent it must ha­ve be­en for you. Tell me abo­ut it." "You know a gre­at de­al of it. I had my child and I set up in a sa­lon and pa­in­ted.
Clients ca­me to me, and it was all go­ing very well un­til the war ca­me."
"The war!" She mu­sed.
"It se­emed rat­her re­mo­te to us he­re in the cha­te­au. Isn't it stran­ge that Rol­lo sho­uld be ab­le to ke­ep him­self alo­of from it? It is al­most as tho­ugh he had ma­gi­cal po­wers. So­me­ti­mes I think he is mo­re than a man ... a de­mon per­haps. So­me­one who has co­me on earth from so­me ot­her pla­ce. Do you un­ders­tand what I me­an?"
"Yes," I ad­mit­ted.
"I tho­ught you did. He's al­ways be­en aga­inst this war. He sa­id it was folly and the Em­pe­ror was a fo­ol. He thinks of him­self af­ter all the­se cen­tu­ri­es as a Nor­man. He's po­wer­ful ... mo­re po­wer­ful than any one man sho­uld be. He owns a gre­at de­al of pro­perty ... not only he­re but in Eng­land and Italy. It is be­ca­use he is so rich and po­wer­ful that my fa­mily wan­ted the mar­ri­age, and it was be­ca­use of my des­cent from the Ro­yal Ho­uses of Fran­ce and Aust­ria that he wan­ted me. How can pe­op­le ex­pect a go­od mar­ri­age to be ba­sed on such re­asons? You are very for­tu­na­te, Ka­te."
"I know I am for­tu­na­te in so­me ways."
"Your lit­tle boy is be­a­uti­ful."
"I think so. And so is yo­urs."
She shrug­ged her sho­ul­ders.
"Rollo se­ems to li­ke yo­ur son." She lo­oked si­de­ways at me and I felt the co­lo­ur be­gin to ri­se from my neck to my fo­re­he­ad.
"He is ge­ne­ral­ly po­pu­lar," I sa­id, trying to spe­ak lightly.
"He was pa­le and thin when he ar­ri­ved with you and Rol­lo and je­an­ne "Who wo­uldn't ha­ve be­en af­ter that or­de­al."
"Yes, you we­re all sho­wing signs of what you had be­en thro­ugh. But you ha­ve re­co­ve­red won­der­ful­ly now."
"That's so­met­hing I'm thank­ful for."
"Rollo has ne­ver ta­ken the le­ast in­te­rest in any child be­fo­re. It is re­mar­kab­le how much at­ten­ti­on he bes­tows on yo­urs. I ne­ver qu­ite un­ders­to­od how Rol­lo ca­me to be the­re at the pre­ci­se mo­ment when all that ma­sonry was abo­ut to fall on yo­ur child."
"You wo­uld ha­ve had to be in Pa­ris to un­ders­tand how things hap­pen."
"I know pe­op­le di­ed. What I me­ant was that it was an odd co­in­ci­den­ce that he hap­pe­ned to be the­re at the pre­ci­se mo­ment."
I shrug­ged my sho­ul­ders.
"He sa­ved the boy's li­fe," I sa­id.
"There is no do­ubt of that."
"Do you think that co­uld be the re­ason why he is so fond of him?"
"I think one wo­uld be rat­her fond of so­me­one who­se li­fe one had sa­ved.
It's get­ting chilly," I went on.
"Do you think we ought to sit he­re?" ' I hel­ped her up.
"It was such an in­te­res­ting talk," she sa­id, 'that I for­got I was cold.
Before you go I want to show you my spot. The Pe­ak, re­mem­ber. "
"Oh yes. It's not far from he­re, you say."
"Just over the­re. Co­me on." She to­ok my arm. She se­emed a lit­tle bre­ath­less.
We wal­ked ac­ross the grass and the­re it was be­fo­re us a won­der­ful pa­no­ra­ma of lit­tle hills and wo­ods far away to the ho­ri­zon.
She po­in­ted.
"Over the­re wo­uld be Pa­ris... if it we­re ne­ar eno­ugh for you to see."
I lo­oked down at the ri­ver be­low. I co­uld see rocks and bo­ul­ders prot­ru­ding from the wa­ter and yel­low colts­fo­ot gro­wing on the bank.
"Are you sca­red of he­ights, Ka­te?" she as­ked.
"No."
"Then why do you hang back?" She had re­le­ased my arm and step­ped ne­arer to the brink.
"Come on," she com­man­ded, and I ap­pro­ac­hed the ed­ge.
"Look down," she sa­id.
I did so. My first tho­ught was that if she had thrown her­self over as she had con­temp­la­ted do­ing, she wo­uld ha­ve had lit­tle chan­ce of sur­vi­val.
She was clo­se to me . stan­ding be­hind me now. She whis­pe­red:
"Imagine fal­ling ... fal­ling ... You wo­uldn't know much abo­ut it, just that qu­ick gasp ... a sort of wild thrill and then down... down . You'd be de­ad in a mat­ter of se­conds."
I was se­ized with sud­den fe­ar. Why had she bro­ught me he­re? Why had she tal­ked or she had? What was she impl­ying?
She knows that Ken­dal is Rol­lo's son, I tho­ught. She must be­li­eve that we we­re lo­vers in Pa­ris and per­haps still are.
She ha­ted him. But wo­uld that pre­vent her re­sen­ting the fact that he might lo­ve me? That he ma­de it so cle­ar that he lo­ved my child?
I had al­ways known that the Prin­ces­se Ma­rie-Cla­ude was im­pul­si­ve, inc­li­ned to be hyste­ri­cal. I was su­re that the or­de­al of mar­ri­age to Rol­lo when she was to be­ar anot­her man's child had be­en too much for her. Had it un­ba­lan­ced her mind?
In tho­se next se­conds I was su­re that she had bro­ught me he­re for a pur­po­se and that pur­po­se might well be re­ven­ge.
Revenge on me? Mo­re li­kely on him. If she tho­ught he lo­ved me, how co­uld she hurt him mo­re than by dest­ro­ying me.
It wo­uld be so easy. An ac­ci­dent, they wo­uld say. The gro­und crumb­led.
She slip­ped. She went too ne­ar the ed­ge.
I felt su­re that she was abo­ut to push me over the ed­ge . in­to ob­li­vi­on.
I tur­ned sharply and step­ped away from the ed­ge.
She was lo­oking at me enig­ma­ti­cal­ly, al­most re­sig­nedly, I tho­ught.
"You we­re stan­ding very ne­ar the ed­ge," she sa­id, as tho­ugh ad­mo­nis­hing me. She ga­ve a lit­tle la­ugh.
"For a few mo­ments you frigh­te­ned me. I had a vi­si­on of yo­ur fal­ling over. Let's get back to the hor­ses. I'm shi­ve­ring... with the cold.
This is not the ti­me of ye­ar to sit abo­ut chat­te­ring."
The Way Out I felt very sha­ken af­ter that ex­pe­ri­en­ce. I did con­vin­ce myself that I had ima­gi­ned I was in dan­ger, but I tri­ed to re­mem­ber in de­ta­il everyt­hing we had sa­id and what had ac­tu­al­ly hap­pe­ned whi­le we had sto­od the­re on the ed­ge of the Pe­ak. She had as­ked per­ti­nent qu­es­ti­ons abo­ut Ken­dal; but then I sup­po­sed ot­hers we­re as­king si­mi­lar qu­es­ti­ons.
It was true that Rol­lo did show gre­at in­te­rest in Ken­dal, whi­le at the sa­me ti­me he did not at­tempt to hi­de his in­dif­fe­ren­ce to the boy who was sup­po­sed to be his own.
I felt I was mo­ving to­wards a cli­max, and one part of me war­ned ur­gently that I ought to get away whi­le anot­her po­sed the con­ti­nu­al qu­es­ti­on of How and Whe­re?
The mi­ni­atu­re of Wil­li­am was prog­res­sing. Rol­lo used to co­me to the stu­dio as I had as­ked him to, and it was to­uc­hing to see Wil­li­am's de­light in ha­ving him the­re sho­wing such an in­te­rest in the port­ra­it.
He wo­uld lo­ok at Wil­li­am ki­tently and then com­ment on the mi­ni­atu­re.
"You've ca­ught the exp­res­si­on in his fa­ce," he wo­uld say. Or: "The co­lo­ur of his skin is not easy to get, I sho­uld ima­gi­ne."
William sat bas­king in the unu­su­al in­te­rest he was aro­using and whi­le I wor­ked I was ab­le to dis­miss all my fe­ars and be happy. It was won­der­ful. Ken­dal in­sis­ted on be­ing the­re. He was do­ing a port­ra­it of Wil­li­am too.
"I li­ke a big pic­tu­re," he sa­id; and in­de­ed, in spi­te of his im­ma­tu­rity, he was pro­du­cing so­met­hing which had a lo­ok of Wil­li­am So the­re we­re the fo­ur of us to­get­her, and as I pa­in­ted a se­re­nity crept over me and I wis­hed that we ne­ed ne­ver bre­ak away from tho­se ma­gi­cal mo­ments. Even the child­ren felt it, the de­ep con­tent­ment in that ro­om. Rol­lo se­emed to ha­ve for­got­ten his de­si­re and was re­ady to set­tle down in what I can only call an at­mosp­he­re of pe­ace.
It co­uld not last, of co­ur­se. So­on the mi­ni­atu­re wo­uld be fi­nis­hed.
But it had do­ne what I had wan­ted it to. It had gi­ven so­met­hing to Wil­li­am which he might ne­ver ha­ve had. The boy had chan­ged per­cep­tibly. Bet­we­en us, I tho­ught, Je­an­ne and I ha­ve gi­ven him con­fi­den­ce- with a lit­tle help from Ken­dal.
The news was bad. The­re we­re dis­sen­ting fac­ti­ons all over Fran­ce. The go­vern­ment was re­pub­li­can but the­re we­re strong par­ti­sans of mo­narchy in it. Figh­ting con­ti­nu­ed in stri­fe-torn Pa­ris and the ri­oting of tho­se who we­re mo­re con­cer­ned with ma­king tro­ub­le than set­ting the co­untry right was brin­ging comp­le­te di­sor­der to the ca­pi­tal.
What co­uld I do? Whe­re co­uld I go? I tho­ught aga­in of trying to get to Eng­land. I co­uld go to Col­li­son Ho­use and li­ve the­re with Cla­re. I had had no reply to my let­ter so I won­de­red if it had re­ac­hed her. I was su­re that she wo­uld gi­ve me a warm wel­co­me.
When I sug­ges­ted to Ken­dal that we might le­ave the cast­le he was over­co­me with hor­ror. He lo­ved the cast­le. He had be­en ext­re­mely happy ever sin­ce he had co­me.
"Don't let's go, Ma­man," he sa­id.
"Let's stay he­re. What wo­uld the Ba­ron do if we went?"
I did not ans­wer. The qu­es­ti­on in my mind for a long ti­me had be­en:
What will the Ba­ron do if we stay?
The pic­tu­re of Wil­li­am was fi­nis­hed and the Prin­ces­se ad­mi­red it.
"Your work is so go­od," she sa­id.
"I of­ten lo­ok at tho­se you did of the Ba­ron and me. The one of him is par­ti­cu­larly in­te­res­ting."
"Do you think so?" I as­ked.

C.

L.

- L "Oh yes. You se­em to ha­ve se­en so­met­hing in him when we didn't... un­til you po­in­ted it out."
"I'm glad you think so."
"There is an exp­res­si­on in his eyes which is al­most be­nign."
"We all ha­ve many si­des to our cha­rac­ters," I re­min­ded her.
"And it ta­kes cer­ta­in pe­op­le to bring them out," she ag­re­ed.
"Why, you ha­ve ma­de Wil­li­am lo­ok qu­ite an at­trac­ti­ve child."
"He is an at­trac­ti­ve child."
"He is bet­ter sin­ce you ca­me. So­me­ti­mes, Ka­te, I think you ha­ve an ef­fect on us all. You are not a witch or so­met­hing, are you?"
"No in­de­ed. Only a pa­in­ter."
"A very go­od pa­in­ter. You must ag­ree to that?"
"If I didn't think so, how co­uld I con­vin­ce ot­her pe­op­le that I was?"
"You are very wi­se, Ka­te. I am su­re Rol­lo thinks so."
I tur­ned away. I was al­ways un­com­for­tab­le when she tal­ked of him. I re­mem­be­red that misc­hi­evo­us stre­ak from the past which I had dis­co­ve­red when she ca­me to my ro­om dres­sed as a ma­id. That spi­rit of misc­hi­ef still lin­ge­red. Was she trying to tell me that she knew her hus­band had be­en my lo­ver still was and that this child who was be­gin­ning to lo­ok too li­ke him for the re­semb­lan­ce to be co­in­ci­den­tal was his?
They we­re une­asy days.
I must go. I must. And the ans­wer was al­ways the sa­me:
Where? How? And Ken­dal must not be put at risk.
Because he un­ders­to­od my fe­elings so well Rol­lo fo­und work for me to do. He had be­en se­arc­hing thro­ugh the cast­le lib­rary, he told me, and he had fo­und so­me old ma­nusc­ripts which we­re in ne­ed of res­to­ra­ti­on.
He wo­uld show them to me if I co­uld co­me to the cast­le the fol­lo­wing af­ter­no­on whi­le the boys we­re at the­ir les­sons.
I did won­der whet­her the­re we­re, in fact, any ma­nusc­ripts or whet­her he just wan­ted to talk to me. I fo­und him in the lib­rary. It was an imp­res­si­ve ro­om li­ned with bo­oks­hel­ves, as I had ima­gi­ned it wo­uld be, of co­ur­se, but the bo­oks we­re on va­ri­o­us su­bj­ects and most of them be­a­uti­ful­ly bo­und.
"This is my sanc­tum," he sa­id.
"Do you li­ke it?"
I sa­id it was de­light­ful and imp­res­si­ve at the sa­me ti­me.
He to­ok my hand and pres­sed it to his lips.
"We go on in the sa­me old way, Ka­te," he sa­id.
"Don't you want to chan­ge it?"
"Yes. I want to go from he­re re­al­ly be­ca­use that is what I fe­el I sho­uld do."
"We want to chan­ge it for the bet­ter," he sa­id ter­sely, 'not for the wor­se. "
"Have you bro­ught me he­re to show me old ma­nusc­ripts, or to talk of im­pos­si­bi­li­ti­es?"
"To talk pos­si­bi­li­ti­es and to lo­ok at ma­nusc­ripts. But first let us talk. How long will it be be­fo­re you re­ali­ze that we can't go on li­ke this?"
"We can," I cont­ra­dic­ted, 'until I can get away. If it we­re not for Ken­dal, I wo­uld risk trying to get to Eng­land. I am be­gin­ning to think that that is what I must do. I ha­ve tal­ked abo­ut it to Ken­dal. "
"What do­es he say?"
"He do­esn't want to le­ave, of co­ur­se."
A slow smi­le spre­ad ac­ross his fa­ce.
"He is such a wi­se boy," he sa­id.
"You ha­ve char­med him with yo­ur at­ten­ti­ons."
"Naturally my own son li­kes me."
"You ha­ve not ma­de yo­ur­self so char­ming to po­or lit­tle Wil­li­am."
"I sa­id my own son, I can't ac­co­unt for bas­tards;' " You are a cru­el, hard man. "
"Not to you, Ka­te ... ne­ver to you."
"Once ..." I be­gan.
"That was ne­ces­sary arid it was the be­gin­ning of lo­ve, wasn't it?"
"No, pu­re lust for re­veng^' Oh, that ..."
"Which fa­iled."
"It was highly suc­ces­sful be­ca­use it sho­wed me that the­re was one wo­man in the world who co­uld sa­tisfy me."
"You! Everyt­hing co­mes back to you. Ple­ase show me the ma­nusc­ripts."
"In due co­ur­se. First we talk. I'm ti­red of this ... sub­ter­fu­ge."
"There is no sub­ter­fu­ge C'n my part."
"When you pre­tend that tyson is not my son!"
"How co­uld I do ot­her­wi­se! I ha­ve an idea that yo­ur wi­fe al­re­ady sus­pects."
"What do­es she sus­pect?"
"That Ken­dal is yo­ur so­il-' " Then she is cor­rect in that. "
"That I am yo­ur ..."
"Mistress?" he sa­id.
"Well, let us ho­pe that she will so­on be cor­rect in that too."
"Please do not talk in that way."
"But if the first of her sus­pi­ci­ons is true, then the se­cond must be."
"I don't ag­ree."
"Oh, Ka­te, let us ma­ke it so. It is a pity to che­at pe­op­le of the­ir as­sump­ti­ons."
"You ha­ven't chan­ged, ha­ve you? I be­li­eve that the Prin­ces­se ... re­sents my be­ing he­re-' " She has sa­id she is de­ligh­ted that you are he­re. The pic­tu­re ot­her son gi­ves her a gre­at de­al of ple­asu­re. She says the boy is bet­ter sin­ce you ha­ve be­en he­re. He li­kes pla­ying with our boy and he is lo­sing that hang-dog lo­ok of his. When he was ha­ving his port­ra­it pa­in­ted I al­most li­ked him. "
I sa­id: "Even if it we­re pos­sib­le, a wo­man wo­uld ha­ve to think very hard be­fo­re thro­wing in her lot with a man li­ke you."
"Now, Ka­te, be ho­nest. Do you think I don't know yo­ur fe­elings to­wards me? Yo­ur lips tell li­es when they spe­ak, but so­me­ti­mes they are mo­re ho­nest. Co­uld you let them spe­ak the truth re­gar­ding me ... for on­ce?"
"I ho­pe I al­ways spe­ak the truth."
"Not on one all-impor­tant mat­ter, and that is yo­ur fe­elings for me."
"I pre­fer not to dis­cuss the su­bj­ect. I ha­ve in any ca­se told you many ti­mes how I fe­el abo­ut yo­ur ac­ti­ons and it is not re­al­ly very comp­li­men­tary."
"That's why I say yo­ur lips lie. Think back, Ka­te, to everyt­hing that has hap­pe­ned to us. You know that you lo­ve me. You can't le­ave me.
You're trying all the ti­me to get back to that ro­om in the to­wer. It's not very far from he­re, you know. It's un­dis­tur­bed by the war. We co­uld go the­re. We co­uld re­cap­tu­re that night. "
I fa­ced him ang­rily. I tho­ught: It is lust, pu­re lust that he fe­els for me. He wants me be­ca­use I don't want him. He hasn't chan­ged sin­ce that night and is as ca­pab­le of ra­pe now as he was then. Even his af­fec­ti­on for Ken­dal is not­hing mo­re than pri­de . pri­de of pos­ses­si­on.
My ins­tincts we­re war­ning me. I sho­uld be wary of him, wary of my own fe­elings for him. What it was I felt for him I was not su­re, but it was not lo­ve.
When I had se­en him crip­pled be­ca­use of what he had do­ne for Ken­dal, I think I had co­me ne­ar to lo­ving him. I had nur­sed him with ca­re and ten­der­ness, and per­haps be­ca­use of the ter­rib­le dan­gers thro­ugh which we had li­ved, my fe­elings to­wards him had chan­ged. Now he was in his own do­ma­in; he had co­me thro­ugh the si­ege of Pa­ris, tho­ugh not en­ti­rely uns­cat­hed; he suf­fe­red cer­ta­in pa­in from his leg, I knew; he wo­uld ne­ver walk as he had be­fo­re; but all that did not stop him from do­ing everyt­hing that he wan­ted to. He­re, in the backg­ro­und of his Nor­man cast­le, he was the bar­ba­ri­an aga­in, the strong ruth­less man who, when he felt a wish, let not­hing stand in the way of its gra­ti­fi­ca­ti­on.
I sa­id to him: "Ple­ase un­ders­tand that I ca­me to see the ma­nusc­ripts.
If you are not go­ing to show them to me, I shall go. "
"My de­ar ve­he­ment Ka­te, of co­ur­se I am go­ing to show you the ma­nusc­ripts. Then you won't ha­ve to ans­wer my qu­es­ti­ons truth­ful­ly, will you? You sho­uld ne­ver be af­ra­id to fa­ce the truth, you know."
"It is you who will not fa­ce the truth."
"But I do. I ag­ree with yo­ur opi­ni­on of me. But you won't fa­ce what it re­al­ly is. Do you think I don't know that if I to­ok you now ... as I did that night... you wo­uld not in­wardly re­j­o­ice? But I want it to be dif­fe­rent now. I want you to co­me to me wil­lingly. That's what I've set my he­art on. I've be­co­me sen­ti­men­tal. What I want most of all is to marry you."
"It is easy to ma­ke such a pro­po­sal," I re­min­ded him, 'when you know it is im­pos­sib­le to carry it out. "
"It won't al­ways be im­pos­sib­le."
"Why don't_›ioa fa­ce the truth? You are mar­ri­ed. Yo­urs is no or­di­nary mar­ri­age be­ca­use yo­ur wi­fe is a Prin­ces­se. You mar­ri­ed her for her ro­yal blo­od, re­mem­ber? But the child­ren did not co­me and the blue blo­od can't be used. That's not a go­od eno­ugh ex­cu­se for an­nul­ling a mar­ri­age, and she wo­uld ne­ver ag­ree to it. The­re­fo­re how can yo­ur pro­po­sal to anot­her wo­man be of any subs­tan­ce at all?"
I saw that cold lo­ok in his eyes which ma­de them lo­ok li­ke ice.
"You're wrong, Ka­te. You ac­cept de­fe­at too easily. I'll tell you this: one day it will co­me to pass. "
I was af­ra­id then . af­ra­id of him, as not long ago I had be­en af­ra­id of his wi­fe.
"Shall I see the ma­nusc­ripts?" I sa­id as co­ol­ly as I co­uld.
"But cer­ta­inly," he rep­li­ed.
We po­red over them to­get­her. They we­re fas­ci­na­ting. They had be­en in the cast­le for cen­tu­ri­es, and he be­li­eved they had be­en pre­sen­ted to the fa­mily by a monk who had gi­ven up his cal­ling and co­me out in­to the world. He had wor­ked at the cast­le and ma­de the ma­nusc­ripts whi­le he was the­re.
"Fifteenth cen­tury, wo­uld you say?" as­ked Rol­lo, "I think they might even be a lit­tle ear­li­er. Oh, it wo­uld be a won­der­ful job. My fat­her used to lo­ve this kind of work ..." I he­ard my vo­ice tremb­le a lit­tle as I men­ti­oned my fat­her, for I was thin­king of how he had fo­und this li­fe so unen­du­rab­le wit­ho­ut his sight that he had de­ci­ded to le­ave it.
Then my tho­ughts switc­hed to Ma­rie-Cla­ude who had at one ti­me had the sa­me idea. How cru­el li­fe co­uld be so­me­ti­mes!
Rollo was watc­hing me in­tently.
"You ha­ve such an exp­res­si­ve fa­ce," he sa­id.
"So many emo­ti­ons flit ac­ross it. You are sad now, thin­king of yo­ur fat­her. My de­ar Ka­te, it is yo­ur mo­uth rat­her than yo­ur eyes which bet­rays you to me. That is why I know that be­ne­ath that fa­ca­de of re­sent­ment which you show me, you lo­ve me ... you re­al­ly do."
I lo­oked down at the ma­nusc­ripts.
"It wo­uld be dif­fi­cult to get the pa­ints I sho­uld ne­ed to res­to­re them."
"We can try."
"It is al­ways dif­fi­cult at any ti­me. The­se pe­op­le mi­xed the­ir own co­lo­urs and no ar­tist used the sa­me."
"We can try to­get­her. We can go and vi­sit the ar­tist abo­ut whom I told you. He has li­ved ne­ar he­re sin­ce he was a yo­ung man. He is a go­od ar­tist. I fo­und him and bro­ught him he­re to work for me. He may well ha­ve so­me of the pa­ints you re­qu­ire. You will be oc­cu­pi­ed and if you are wor­king you will be con­tent and push asi­de this ri­di­cu­lo­us no­ti­on that you ought to be so­mew­he­re el­se."
Then he drew me to him and kis­sed me gently. I knew that he was right.
In spi­te of everyt­hing he was do­mi­na­ting my tho­ughts. If that was fal­ling in lo­ve, then that was what I was do­ing.
The we­eks we­re slip­ping past. I was ab­sor­bed by the work on the ma­nusc­ripts, so I was at the cast­le every mor­ning. Whi­le I was wor­king Ken­dal was ta­king les­sons with Wil­li­am and every day se­emed very li­ke anot­her. Spring had co­me. The­re was still tro­ub­le in Pa­ris, and I was no ne­arer re­tur­ning the­re than I had be­en when I first ar­ri­ved he­re.
It was easi­er to mo­ve abo­ut the co­untry now, tho­ugh, and with the co­ming of May what was known as the Tre­aty of Frank­furt was sig­ned.
There was pe­ace at last. The French grumb­led abo­ut the terms which had be­en im­po­sed on them, for they had to hand over Al­sa­ce and a gre­at part of Lor­ra­ine to the Ger­mans as well as pa­ying a hu­ge mo­ney in­dem­nity.
Soon, I tho­ught, I shall ha­ve to go to Pa­ris.
I won­de­red what had hap­pe­ned to the ho­use in which we had li­ved so long.
At the end of May, Rol­lo did go to Pa­ris to see what it was li­ke the­re now. Most eagerly did I awa­it his re­turn.
I had had se­ve­ral con­ver­sa­ti­ons with Ma­rie-Cla­ude over the we­eks, and she re­al­ly did se­em glad that we we­re the­re. I think we en­li­ve­ned the days to a cer­ta­in ex­tent. She watc­hed me, I knew; and I think it pro­bably ga­ve her an in­te­rest to spe­cu­la­te on the re­la­ti­ons­hip bet­we­en her hus­band and myself.
Sometimes I ca­ught a cer­ta­in sa­tis­fac­ti­on in her fa­ce, as tho­ugh it was amu­sing that I sho­uld be the­re and that the­re sho­uld be this frust­ra­ti­on bet­we­en Rol­lo and me.
I was su­re that she tho­ught we had be­en lo­vers at so­me ti­me even tho­ugh she might be a lit­tle un­cer­ta­in as to our re­la­ti­ons­hip now; in any ca­se she was int­ri­gu­ed, and her na­tu­re was such that she enj­oyed that.
She spent a gre­at de­al of ti­me in what she cal­led 're sting'.
She li­ked to think of her­self as a se­mi-inva­lid. I be­li­eved that we­ak­ness ad­ded an in­te­rest to her li­fe. I won­de­red, too, whet­her she used it to ke­ep Rol­lo away. Li­ke so many men of outs­tan­dingly go­od physi­cal he­alth, he wo­uld ha­ve lit­tle sympathy with il­lness. He had be­en im­pa­ti­ent of his own we­ak­ness, and alt­ho­ugh he had at one ti­me suf­fe­red gre­at pa­in, he had al­ways be­en re­luc­tant to ad­mit it.
His at­ti­tu­de to­wards Ma­rie-Cla­ude was one of dis­li­ke and con­tempt, and be­ing the man he was, he to­ok no gre­at pa­ins to hi­de it.
He ca­me back from Pa­ris with the dep­res­sing news that the city was not yet set­tling down, alt­ho­ugh it wo­uld do so in ti­me. The ho­use had be­en dest­ro­yed with everyt­hing in it. Ri­oters must ha­ve set fi­re to it.
"All part of the who­le stu­pid bu­si­ness," he sa­id ang­rily.
So I wo­uld ha­ve now­he­re to go in Pa­ris. Per­haps I sho­uld go back to Eng­land for a whi­le. I co­uld stay with Cla­re. I pre­su­med that my let­ter had not re­ac­hed her as I still had had no reply.
It was la­te af­ter­no­on of a lo­vely May day. The boys we­re pla­ying so­mew­he­re in the cast­le pre­cincts. I had be­en wor­king all the mor­ning and so­me of the af­ter­no­on on the ma­nusc­ripts, as it was such a go­od light. I was in a pe­ace­ful fra­me of mind as I of­ten was af­ter a day's work, fe­eling ple­asantly ti­red and im­men­sely sa­tis­fi­ed with the work I had do­ne. I had, that af­ter­no­on, tho­ught of a new way to get the Ve­ne­ti­an red and co­balt blue which I ne­eded. I was lo­oking for­ward to the next day when I sho­uld be ab­le to test my new met­hod.
I had go­ne out­si­de the Lo­ge for it was a lo­vely balmy day and I was sit­ting on the grass ne­ar the mo­at de­ep in tho­ught when I he­ard one of the ma­ids cal­ling my na­me.
I jum­ped up and went to her.
"Oh Ma­da­me Col­li­son, the­re is a lady co­me to the cast­le. She is as­king for you."
I tur­ned. Anot­her ma­id was co­ming to­wards me and with her a wo­man. I co­uld not be­li­eve my eyes.
"Kate!" she cri­ed.
I ran to her and we we­re in each ot­her's arms.
"Is it re­al­ly you, Cla­re?"
She nod­ded.
"No do­ubt of it. I had to see you. It's be­en so dif­fi­cult to get news. But yo­ur let­ter ca­me ... at last. it was a long ti­me get­ting to me, I co­uld see from the da­te ... But it told me whe­re to co­me, so I didn't trust anot­her let­ter. I ca­me."
We clung to­get­her aga­in, la­ug­hing, al­most crying.
The two ma­ids watc­hed us.
I sa­id: "It's all right. This is my step­mot­her."
The one who had bro­ught her set down her tra­vel­ling bag in­si­de her and they slip­ped away to­get­her.
"I got a lift from the sta­ti­on in a sort of fly," sa­id Cla­re.
"It was hard ma­king myself un­ders­to­od."
"Has it be­en a dif­fi­cult jo­ur­ney?"
We we­re ga­zing at each ot­her, tal­king tri­vi­ali­ti­es be­ca­use we we­re too mo­ved for anyt­hing el­se.
"Come in­to the Lo­ge," I sa­id.
"This is whe­re we li­ve ... tem­po­ra­rily."
"My de­ar Ka­te! Wha­te­ver has it be­en li­ke? I was so wor­ri­ed. I kept tel­ling myself that it was a go­od thing yo­ur fat­her had go­ne. He wo­uld ha­ve be­en half crazy with an­xi­ety."
"It has be­en a very dif­fi­cult ti­me, Cla­re." I to­ok her bag in my hand and ope­ned the do­or of the Lo­ge.
"You see," I sa­id, 'it is se­pa­ra­te from the cast­le, but part of it .
"
"And how long ha­ve you be­en he­re?"
"We ca­me di­rectly af­ter the si­ege of Pa­ris. We we­re lucky to get out..."
"Thank God you are sa­fe."
"Oh yes, we we­re for­tu­na­te. My po­or fri­end Ni­co­le St. Gi­les you met her-was kil­led du­ring the bom­bard­ment."
"How dre­ad­ful! And ... Ken­dal?"
"Kendal is all right. We suf­fe­red a gre­at de­al du­ring the si­ege, as you can ima­gi­ne. We al­most di­ed of star­va­ti­on."
"I tho­ught of you cons­tantly. I tri­ed to get in to­uch, but the­re was no way of get­ting com­mu­ni­ca­ti­ons ac­ross the Chan­nel."
"I know. It was to be ex­pec­ted with Fran­ce at war. But ne­ver mind that now. You're he­re, Gla­re, and I am so glad to see you. Are you hungry?
Can I get you so­me cof­fee. The boys are pla­ying to­get­her so­mew­he­re.
"
The boys? "
"Oh yes ... the son of the Ba­ron and the Prin­ces­se ... Wil­li­am. He and Ken­dal are go­od fri­ends."
"Is it all right for me to be he­re?"
"But, of co­ur­se. You can stay at the Lo­ge. The­re is plenty of ro­om."
"Are you wor­king he­re?"
"Yes. I am res­to­ring so­me ma­nusc­ripts and I ha­ve pa­in­ted a mi­ni­atu­re of Wil­li­am ... the boy I was tel­ling you abo­ut."
"The Ba­ron's son, you say. And he and Ken­dal get along well to­get­her?"
"Oh yes."
"Did you co­me stra­ight her from Pa­ris? This cha­te­au is the first pla­ce you ca­me to when you first ar­ri­ved in Fran­ce ... you and yo­ur fat­her?"
"Oh yes, we ca­me he­re. Af­ter the si­ege the Ba­ron bro­ught us back he­re."
"What was he do­ing in Pa­ris?"
"He was the­re on bu­si­ness. He sa­ved Ken­dal's li­fe. You've no idea what it was li­ke. You see, the Prus­si­ans we­re bom­bar­ding Pa­ris and Ken­dal wo­uld ha­ve be­en crus­hed to de­ath if the Ba­ron had not be­en the­re just at the right mo­ment to pro­tect him from the fal­ling ma­sonry. The Ba­ron was inj­ured and I lo­oked af­ter him , . and then as so­on as the si­ege was over we got out. The­re was now­he­re el­se for us to go but he­re. It is dif­fi­cult to exp­la­in ..."
"And you met him just by chan­ce in Pa­ris ... just at the mo­ment when Ken­dal was in dan­ger. How won­der­ful and how ex­ci­ting that he sho­uld hap­pen to ha­ve be­en the­re."
"It was a bles­sing that he was. We might ne­ver ha­ve go out of Pa­ris if he hadn't hel­ped us and bro­ught us he­re. The city got wor­se af­ter we left. The­re was figh­ting and ri­oting and set­ting fi­re to bu­il­dings.
The ho­use whe­re we we­re was dest­ro­yed by fi­re. "
"My po­or Ka­te! I've tho­ught of you so much. It's be­en so lo­nely. I pro­mi­sed myself that as so­on as it was pos­sib­le I wo­uld get to you. I re­ali­zed it was no use just wri­ting, and I can't tell you how won­der­ful it was to get yo­ur let­ter ... alt­ho­ugh I did re­ce­ive it long af­ter you had writ­ten in."
"Let me ma­ke that cof­fee," I sa­id, 'and then we can talk. "
We did. I fo­und it dif­fi­cult to exp­la­in what had hap­pe­ned and qu­ite cle­arly she con­ti­nu­ed to think that it was the od­dest co­in­ci­den­ce that the Ba­ron sho­uld ha­ve hap­pe­ned to be on the spot when Ken­dal was in dan­ger. I gu­es­sed how her mind was wor­king. My fat­her had sus­pec­ted that the Ba­ron was Ken­dal's fat­her and it may ha­ve be­en that he had dis­cus­sed this pos­si­bi­lity with Cla­re. Af­ter all, she had be­en his wi­fe.
I co­uld see that she re­al­ly be­li­eved the Ba­ron had be­en with me in Pa­ris and that she was ca­re­ful­ly wor­ding her qu­es­ti­ons to avo­id em­bar­ras­sment.
Then I wan­ted to he­ar what she had to tell me.
"A very dif­fe­rent story from yo­urs, Ka­te," she sa­id.
"I ha­ve be­en so lo­nely sin­ce yo­ur fat­her ... went. It was li­ke the end of everyt­hing. We we­re so fond of each ot­her, right from the first."
"I know. You we­re won­der­ful to him. He told me so. I am so glad you fo­und each ot­her. You we­re a gre­at com­fort to him."
"Not eno­ugh," she ans­we­red. Her lips tremb­led and the­re we­re te­ars in her eyes.
"I of­ten won­der if I did right. You see, I ought to ha­ve ma­de it so that he co­uld be happy ... even tho­ugh he was get­ting blin­der every day. But he co­uldn't fa­ce it, Ka­te. His eyes had me­ant so much to him, even mo­re than they do to most ot­her pe­op­le. He had al­ways lo­ved lo­oking at things and he saw' them so much mo­re cle­arly than most pe­op­le. You know what I me­an be­ca­use you are the sa­me. He just co­uld not fa­ce the fu­tu­re, Ka­te."
"No. The­re was not­hing you co­uld ha­ve do­ne mo­re than you did. I un­ders­tand how he felt. His work had be­en his li­fe. I shall ne­ver for­get his mi­sery when he first told me. Then af­ter a whi­le I tho­ught that even tho­ugh he co­uldn't do the clo­se work he'd be­en do­ing all his li­fe, he wo­uld be ab­le to pa­int... at le­ast for a whi­le."
"But he was lo­sing his sight comp­le­tely, Ka­te. In a few months he wo­uld ha­ve be­en to­tal­ly blind. Oh, I do ho­pe I did the right thing by him. I think of it of­ten. I tor­ment myself, Was the­re so­met­hing el­se I co­uld ha­ve do­ne ... or left un­do­ne?"
"You mustn't dist­ress yo­ur­self, Cla­re. You did everyt­hing for him. You ma­de him hap­pi­er than he co­uld pos­sibly ha­ve be­en wit­ho­ut you."
"I li­ke to think so. I wa­ke up in the night and tell myself that."
"Dear Cla­re, you mustn't bro­od on it. Re­mem­ber the happy ti­mes you sha­red with him. It must ha­ve co­me over him sud­denly ... li­ke a dark clo­ud. Oh, I can ima­gi­ne it. He co­uldn't sle­ep to­wards the end, co­uld he? That me­ant he was wor­ri­ed. Then I ima­gi­ne in a fit of dep­res­si­on he just to­ok the over­do­se ..."
"That was how it hap­pe­ned."
"You ha­ve to for­get, Cla­re."
She brigh­te­ned.
"I try to. I want to. Now I must tell you what has hap­pe­ned. He left everyt­hing to me, Ka­te, ex­cept the mi­ni­atu­res. Even the ho­use he left to me. He sa­id:
"Kate's all right. She'll be ab­le to lo­ok af­ter her­self. She won't want to co­me back to Eng­land." But the mi­ni­atu­res are yo­urs, Ka­te. I ha­ve had them put in­to the bank for sa­fety. I tho­ught they sho­uld be va­lu­ed too. They are worth a small for­tu­ne . even mo­re than yo­ur fat­her be­li­eved them to be worth. He tal­ked a gre­at de­al to me. He sa­id: "If ever she sho­uld hap­pen to fall on le­an ti­mes, she'll ha­ve the mi­ni­atu­res. She co­uld sell them singly, if ne­ces­sary, and li­ve for two or three ye­ars on the pri­ce she wo­uld get for one of them." He was a very prac­ti­cal man in so­me ways, when he was plan­ning for tho­se he lo­ved, for ins­tan­ce. You don't mind his le­aving the ho­use to me, I ho­pe? "
"My de­ar Cla­re, I'm glad he did."
"There wasn't a lot el­se. He had sa­ved a lit­tle, and you will know that he kept the fa­mily go­ing on what his work bro­ught in. He left that lit­tle bit to me with the ho­use. It is eno­ugh for me to li­ve on, simply, of co­ur­se."
"Then you are qu­ite com­for­tab­le?"
She nod­ded.
"I can ma­na­ge. But what I want to say is that Col­li­son Ho­use is yo­ur ho­me, Ka­te. I don't lo­ok on it as my ho­use. It was in yo­ur fa­mily for ye­ars. It's yo­urs, Ka­te, as well as mi­ne, and if at any ti­me you wan­ted to co­me the­re... Well, in short, it'll al­ways be yo­ur ho­me as well as mi­ne."
So we tal­ked, and in ti­me Ken­dal ca­me run­ning in. He was very in­te­res­ted to see that we had a cal­ler. I exp­la­ined who Cla­re was, for he had be­en too yo­ung to re­mem­ber when she ca­me to Pa­ris.
I was pro­ud be­ca­use I co­uld see that she tho­ught him a very fi­ne boy.
Jeanne re­tur­ned. She re­mem­be­red Cla­re and I exp­la­ined that she had co­me to stay with us for a whi­le. Je­an­ne was ple­ased to see her and Cla­re was very happy to get such a warm wel­co­me from ever­yo­ne.
Jeanne co­oked a me­al for us and we all sat ro­und the tab­le tal­king Ken­dal be­ing al­lo­wed to stay up as it was a spe­ci­al oc­ca­si­on.
There was an ext­ra bed­ro­om in the Lo­ge, so ac­com­mo­da­ting Cla­re was an easy mat­ter. Je­an­ne ma­de up the bed and when I to­ok Cla­re to her ro­om I kis­sed her ten­derly and told her how ple­ased I was that she had co­me.
I sa­id go­od­night and left her, but I lay awa­ke a long ti­me that night.
Clare's co­ming had ma­de me think of my fat­her and as I mo­ur­ned him af­resh I kept thin­king of what sta­te of mind he must ha­ve be­en in when he had de­ci­ded to ta­ke his li­fe.
Then a tho­ught struck me sud­denly.
Clare's co­ming had bro­ught my so­lu­ti­on. I co­uld le­ave Fran­ce with her.
I co­uld go back to Col­li­son Ho­use and ma­ke my li­fe the­re. And if I co­uld not at­tract rich sit­ters, I had a small for­tu­ne wa­iting for me in the mi­ni­atu­res. I knew the va­lue of them now. So­me of the six­te­enth-cen­tury ones mus^ in­di­vi­du­al­ly, be worth a gre­at de­al of mo­ney. "
Suppose I sold one . or even two . to gi­ve me eno­ugh mo­ney to set up a stu­dio in Lon­don. I did not want to sell any of them, of co­ur­se, but if it we­re ne­ces­sary I must do so.
It was a way out.
Until now I had be­li­eved the si­tu­ati­on was in­so­lub­le. It was no lon­ger so. I no lon­ger had the ex­cu­se to stay he­re for the sa­ke of Ken­dal be­ca­use we had now­he­re el­se to go.
We had. Cla­re's co­ming had ope­ned up a way out.
Clare's ar­ri­val ca­used qu­ite a flurry of ex­ci­te­ment at the cast­le.
When I went over the fol­lo­wing mor­ning to work on the ma­nusc­ripts, a mes­sa­ge from the Prin­ces­se awa­ited me. Wo­uld I go to her ro­om? She wis­hed to spe­ak to me.
She was lying in bed she ne­ver ro­se very early and was prop­ped up with pil­lows. A cup of cho­co­la­te was by her bed.
T he­ar you ha­ve a vi­si­tor from Eng­land," she sa­id.
"Yes, my step­mot­her."
"I did not know you had a step­mot­her. You didn't tell me when you ca­me to pa­int me."
I was surp­ri­sed that she sho­uld re­mem­ber so much abo­ut me.
"I did not ha­ve one at the ti­me," I exp­la­ined.
"She mar­ri­ed my fat­her af­ter­wards."
"She is ... not an old wo­man?"
"No, qu­ite yo­ung. A few ye­ars ol­der than I ..."
"She so­ught you he­re?"
"Yes, I wro­te to her from he­re so­on af­ter I ca­me. I knew she wo­uld be an­xi­o­us abo­ut what was hap­pe­ning to me in Pa­ris. My let­ter to­ok a long ti­me to re­ach her but she fi­nal­ly re­ce­ived it and ins­te­ad of wri­ting she de­ci­ded to co­me and see me."
"She so­unds ... ad­ven­tu­ro­us."
"Well, I'd hardly say that. But she wo­uld go to a gre­at de­al of tro­ub­le for pe­op­le she ca­red abo­ut."
"So she ca­res much for you?"
"I think so."
"There is a tra­di­ti­on that step­mot­hers ne­ver li­ke child­ren of the first mar­ri­age."
I la­ug­hed.
"Clare is not in the le­ast li­ke the tra­di­ti­onal step­mot­her.
She is mo­re li­ke a sis­ter. She has be­en a fri­end of mi­ne from the mo­ment I met her, which was be­fo­re I ca­me to Fran­ce. "
"You must al­low me to me­et her."
"I will bring her to see you, if I may."
"This af­ter­no­on. I am eager to me­et yo­ur step­mot­her."
"What ti­me wo­uld you li­ke me to co­me?"
"Four o'clock. Af­ter I ha­ve had my rest."
"I am su­re she will be de­ligh­ted to me­et you."
"Is she go­ing to stay long?"
"I don't know. She ar­ri­ved only yes­ter­day. We had so much to talk abo­ut. We hardly stop­ped all last eve­ning."
"What of yo­ur fat­her? Did he not co­me with her?"
"My fat­her is de­ad."
"Dead? Oh yes, I re­mem­ber I did he­ar so­met­hing of it. He was go­ing blind. Such cru­el things hap­pen to pe­op­le ..." She lo­oked me­lanc­holy for a mo­ment; then she brigh­te­ned.
"Yes, bring her to me this af­ter­no­on. I want very much to me­et her."
The me­eting bet­we­en the Prin­ces­se and Cla­re was an im­me­di­ate suc­cess.
Clare's lu­mi­no­us brown eyes we­re full of com­pas­si­on and in a very short ti­me the Prin­ces­se was tel­ling her ot­her in­va­li­dism, which was a su­bj­ect very de­ar to her he­art.
She exp­la­ined to Cla­re that this was not one ot­her go­od days. I had he­ard this many ti­mes be­fo­re and alt­ho­ugh I had exp­res­sed sor­row at her in­dis­po­si­ti­on, I had ne­ver be­en ab­le to imply very gre­at sympathy, for I had al­ways felt that she ma­de a fe­tish of her il­lnes­ses and if only she wo­uld not con­cent­ra­te so who­le­he­ar­tedly on them, she wo­uld be much bet­ter.
Clare, ho­we­ver, had al­ways had im­me­di­ate sympathy for la­me ducks. She was truly com­pas­si­ona­te to­wards them, and they, sen­sing her sympathy to be ge­nu­ine, we­re drawn to­wards her.
Thus it was with Cla­re and the Prin­ces­se, and af­ter a very short ti­me Cla­re was re­ce­iving de­ta­iled ac­co­unts of the Prin­ces­se's af­flic­ti­ons.
Clare ad­mit­ted that she too had the oc­ca­si­onal he­adac­he or had do­ne un­til she had fo­und a mi­ra­cu­lo­us cu­re. It was a herb con­coc­ti­on which she ma­de her­self. She ne­ver tra­vel­led wit­ho­ut it. Per­haps she co­uld per­su­ade the Prin­ces­se to try a do­se. The Prin­ces­se dec­la­red that she wo­uld be de­ligh­ted.
"I co­uld hand it in at the cast­le to­mor­row," sa­id Cla­re.
"Oh, but you must bring it to me yo­ur­self," was the Prin­ces­se's reply.
Clare sa­id it wo­uld gi­ve her the gre­atest ple­asu­re.
"I ho­pe that you will plan to stay he­re a lit­tle whi­le," sa­id the Prin­ces­se, 'and do not in­tend to rush away qu­ickly. "
"How kind and hos­pi­tab­le ever­yo­ne is!" cri­ed Cla­re.
"I had to co­me to see how Ka­te was. I co­uld not be­ar the sus­pen­se any lon­ger. 'll is so kind of you to let her stay he­re ... and now to be so wel­co­ming to me."
"My hus­band, the Ba­ron, ar­ran­ged for the oc­cu­pa­ti­on of the Lo­ge."
There was a sharp no­te in her vo­ice which I be­li­eved Cla­re had no­ti­ced.
"Yes. Ka­te told me how it was ... how they ca­me from Pa­ris." v "They we­re in a sad sta­te when they ar­ri­ved he­re."
"But comp­le­tely re­co­ve­red now," sa­id Cla­re, smi­ling at me.
"They ha­ve such go­od he­alth," the Prin­ces­se sig­hed. I tho­ught: She is wor­king ro­und to her fa­vo­uri­te to­pic aga­in.
"It wo­uld ha­ve kil­led me," she ad­ded.
"Good he­alth is one of the best gifts fa­te can bes­tow," sa­id Cla­re.
It was small won­der that we all li­ked Cla­re. She had the gift of be­ing wha­te­ver her com­pa­ni­ons wis­hed her to be at the ti­me. With my fat­her she had tal­ked art and le­ar­ned a lit­tle abo­ut it; with me she dis­cus­sed my pre­di­ca­ment and the best way out of it; and with the Prin­ces­se it wo­uld ha­ve ap­pe­ared that il­lness and its re­me­di­es we­re of gre­ater in­te­rest to her than anyt­hing el­se.
"You ha­ve be­en a gre­at suc­cess with the lady," I sa­id as we ca­me out of the cast­le and ma­de our way to the Lo­ge.
"Poor Prin­ces­se," she sa­id.
"She's a very un­hap­py wo­man. That is why she con­cerns her­self so who­le­he­ar­tedly with her ail­ments."
"One wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught you had gi­ven a li­fe ti­me's study to them this af­ter­no­on."
"Well, she wan­ted to talk abo­ut them. I un­ders­tand that. She wan­ted to po­ur out her tro­ub­les. Of co­ur­se, that's not the re­al tro­ub­le, is it?
There's so­met­hing de­eper than that. I don't think she is very happy . with her Ba­ron. "
"You are a stu­dent of hu­man na­tu­re, Cla­re."
"Perhaps. You see, I li­ke pe­op­le. I ca­re abo­ut them. I li­ke to know why they act as they do. If I can, I li­ke to do so­met­hing for them."
"Well, you did so­met­hing for her this af­ter­no­on. I ha­ve ra­rely se­en her so ani­ma­ted. She re­al­ly to­ok to you."
"I shall vi­sit her if she wants me to, and if she will talk to me and the­re is anyt­hing I can do to help her ... I'll be glad."
Yes, I tho­ught, Cla­re lo­ves pe­op­le. She ma­kes the­ir tro­ub­les her own.
That must be why we all li­ke her so much.
I was glad she had co­me and her co­ming had bro­ught me the so­lu­ti­on which I had be­en lo­oking for. It was true that at ti­mes I wan­ted to re­j­ect it. Cla­re's co­ming had ma­de me re­ali­ze how very much I wan­ted to stay he­re and the re­ason for that was that I was ex­hi­la­ra­ted, sti­mu­la­ted and ro­used of­ten to an­ger but al­ways ex­ci­tingly by the Ba­ron. Her co­ming and the pos­si­bi­lity of re­tur­ning to Eng­land with her, of sa­ying go­odb­ye to him fo­re­ver, had ma­de me fa­ce the truth. I sho­uld find li­fe de­so­la­te wit­ho­ut him.
A few days la­ter Rol­lo ca­me in­to the ro­om whe­re I was wor­king on the ma­nusc­ript.
He shut the do­or and sto­od le­aning aga­inst it, smi­ling at me. I co­uld not stop my he­art be­ating a lit­tle fas­ter as it was apt to do when he ap­pe­ared sud­denly.
"I ha­ve co­me to see how the ma­nusc­ripts are prog­res­sing," he sa­id.
"Quite well in the cir­cums­tan­ces. I am le­aving this one. I shall ne­ver get that sha­de of red which was used at the ti­me. I do ne­ed it."
He ca­me and le­aned over me, kis­sing the back of my neck. I tur­ned sharply and, stan­ding, fa­ced him. He to­ok me by the sho­ul­ders and held me aga­inst him.
"Oh, Ka­te," he sa­id, 'this is the most ab­surd si­tu­ati­on.
You're he­re. I'm he­re . and we ha­ve to ke­ep up this ri­di­cu­lo­us pre­ten­ce. "
"Pretence of what?"
"That we don't want to be with each ot­her ... that we don't re­ali­ze we we­re me­ant for each ot­her and no one el­se is of the sligh­test in­te­rest to us."
"What a lot of non­sen­se. I find ot­her pe­op­le of in­te­rest to me."
"I me­an in this par­ti­cu­lar way."
"Well, I am co­ming to a de­ci­si­on. I ha­ve be­en ma­king plans. Ever sin­ce Cla­re ca­me I ha­ve be­en thin­king of go­ing away."
"No!"
"Yes, I shall go so­on."
"I shall not al­low it."
"How will you try to stop it? Put me in a tur­ret and ke­ep me the­re as yo­ur pri­so­ner?"
"Don't tempt me," he sa­id.
"You did that on­ce, but you co­uld not do it aga­in."
"I shall not let you go," he sa­id firmly.
"You can be su­re of that."
"Let us be sen­sib­le. Yo­ur li­fe is he­re. Mi­ne is not."
"You ha­ve be­en happy ... com­for­tab­le sin­ce we ca­me from Pa­ris."
"You and the Prin­ces­se ha­ve be­en kind and most hos­pi­tab­le."
"You be­long he­re, Ka­te. You be­long to me."
"I ha­ve no in­ten­ti­on of be­lon­ging to an­yo­ne but myself."
"I be­li­eve that you ha­ve gi­ven yo­ur­self to me. That's what I me­ant."
"Given myself! It was you who to­ok me ... aga­inst my will."
"Will you al­ways hold that lap­se aga­inst me? It is dif­fe­rent now."
"You hu­mi­li­ated me do­ubly. First by for­cing me to sub­mit to yo­ur lust and se­condly be­ca­use it was not de­si­re for me that promp­ted you, but re­ven­ge."
"Ah, I un­ders­tand so much. It was the se­cond part that an­gers you. It wo­uldn't be li­ke that next ti­me. It wo­uld be you ... and you only that I was thin­king of."
"Oh, ple­ase stop this talk. You ma­ke me re­ali­ze that I sho­uld go wit­ho­ut de­lay, as I ha­ve be­en plan­ning."
"What is that?"
"Go back to Eng­land."
"How wo­uld you li­ve? Whe­re wo­uld you li­ve?"
"There is an ans­wer to that now. I sho­uld go back with Cla­re to the ho­use whe­re I was born. It is hers now but she has sa­id that it shall be my ho­me for as long as I want it."
"And what cli­ents wo­uld you ha­ve the­re?"
"I co­uld res­to­re ma­nusc­ripts li­ke this. I co­uld pa­int mi­ni­atu­res. I am my fat­her's da­ugh­ter and many pe­op­le wo­uld want me for that re­ason."
"Is Cla­re rich eno­ugh to sup­port you and the boy?"
"No."
"Then wo­uld you not be ta­king a risk?"
"No. My fat­her had a col­lec­ti­on of mi­ni­atu­res. They rep­re­sent a small for­tu­ne and they are mi­ne. They are worth eno­ugh to ke­ep me go­ing for ye­ars .. ill sold them."
"And you wo­uld sell the fa­mily he­ir­lo­oms?"
"Yes, ill ne­eded the mo­ney to li­ve. I co­uld sell them one by one un­til I co­uld earn eno­ugh mo­ney. Ill be­ca­me rich, who knows? in ti­me I might buy them back aga­in."
He was re­al­ly sha­ken. He had al­ways stres­sed the fact that I must stay he­re be­ca­use I had to ke­ep myself and Ken­dal. Now he saw that the­re was a way out and he did not li­ke it at all.
"You ha­ve told me so­met­hing abo­ut the vil­la­ge. What will they say if you, an un­mar­ri­ed wo­man, turn up the­re with a child?"
"Clare has told them that I mar­ri­ed and kept my na­me Col­li­son for pro­fes­si­onal re­asons. Cla­re thinks of everyt­hing. "
"I am be­gin­ning to wish she had ne­ver co­me he­re. Ka­te, you wo­uldn't go. You wo­uldn't le­ave me. You co­uldn't. I'd co­me to Eng­land af­ter you. I as­su­re you, I am not go­ing to rest un­til you and I are lo­vers aga­in."
"Again!" I cri­ed.
"We ne­ver we­re."
"Why don't we go away from he­re? Why don't we ha­ve our own ho­use?"
"Like you and Ni­co­le?"
"No, dif­fe­rent from that. Ni­co­le and I did not set up ho­use to­get­her."
"You just bla­tantly an­no­un­ced that she was yo­ur ma­it­res se en lit­re, is that so?"
He did not ans­wer. Then he sa­id: "I lo­ve you, Ka­te. If I we­re free ..
"
"You are not free," I sa­id qu­ickly.
"You went in­to this mar­ri­age wil­lingly af­ter you had for­ced yo­ur­self on me and gi­ven me the child.
Don't think I reg­ret ha­ving him. He ma­kes everyt­hing I went thro­ugh worthw­hi­le. Bu­tj­you didn't ca­re. Now you are mar­ri­ed to the Prin­ces­se and I want a go­od li­fe for Ken­dal. I don't think he wo­uld ha­ve that as son of the Ba­ron's mist­ress . the il­le­gi­ti­ma­te son of the Ba­ron.
Your pla­ce is he­re with the Prin­ces­se. She is yo­ur wi­fe. Don't for­get you are mar­ri­ed. As for myself, I shall go back to Eng­land. "
"If I co­uld of­fer you mar­ri­age," he sa­id qu­i­etly, 'what then? To be to­get­her. to cla­im the boy as my own . Oh, Ka­te, I ne­ver wan­ted anyt­hing in my li­fe as much as that. "
"I think you ha­ve le­ar­ned so­met­hing," I told him.
"You we­re al­ways un­der the imp­res­si­on that you only had to ta­ke what you wan­ted. You for­got the­re we­re ot­her pe­op­le in the world ... You for­got that they too might ha­ve fe­elings ... de­si­res ... The­ir li­ves me­ant not­hing to you. They we­re just the­re to be used as best su­ited you. Now you know that ot­her pe­op­le want to li­ve the­ir li­ves the way they cho­ose.. not the way you cho­ose for them. I want a set­tled li­fe for my son. He is my son. you re­sig­ned all cla­im to him when you mar­ri­ed the Prin­ces­se and didn't mind what hap­pe­ned to him."
"That's not true. I ca­red very much what hap­pe­ned to him ... and to you."
"You sent yo­ur mist­ress to lo­ok af­ter us."
"Wasn't that ca­ring?"
"You didn't co­me yo­ur­self. You de­le­ga­ted anot­her. It was only when you saw the boy and to­ok a fancy to him that you ca­me back in­to our li­ves.
Do you think I don't un­ders­tand you? You are sel­fish and ar­ro­gant.
You suf­fer acu­tely from a di­se­ase cal­led me­ga­lo­ma­nia. Now you will ha­ve to re­ali­ze that the­re are ot­her pe­op­le in the world who­se li­ves me­an as much so them as yo­urs do­es to you. "
"You are tremb­ling," he sa­id.
"I be­li­eve you lo­ve me very much."
"You are ri­di­cu­lo­us."
He to­ok me in­to his arms then and kis­sed and went on kis­sing me. He was right, of co­ur­se. Wha­te­ver this was I felt for him, I did not want to re­sist. I wan­ted it to be as it had be­en all tho­se ye­ars ago in the tur­ret bed­ro­om.
Oh, what a bet­ra­yal it is when the fe­elings of one who pri­des her­self on her go­od sen­se de­mand that she act in op­po­si­ti­on to everyt­hing that she knows is right.
For a few mo­ments I let him hold me I let his fin­gers ca­ress my neck.
I tho­ught: It is na­tu­ral, I sup­po­se, for a wo­man to be aro­used by a man li­ke this, one who ema­na­tes po­wer, do­mi­na­ti­on . which is I be­li­eve in many ca­ses the ul­ti­ma­te in physi­cal at­trac­ti­on.
His lips we­re on my right ear.
"You're not go­ing to le­ave me, Ka­te. I won't al­low it."
I drew myself away from him. I knew that I was flus­hed and that my eyes we­re shi­ning. He was awa­re of it, too, and what it me­ant. I felt angry with him be­ca­use he was ab­le to un­ders­tand the truth.
Smiling at me sar­do­ni­cal­ly, he sa­id: "The­re is the boy, for one thing."
"What of the boy?"
"Do you think he wo­uld go away ... wil­lingly?"
"He wo­uld ha­ve to if I went."
"You wo­uld bre­ak his he­art."
"Hearts don't bre­ak. It's a physi­cal im­pos­si­bi­lity."
"Metaphorically spe­aking."
"Children get over the­se things very qu­ickly."
"I don't think he wo­uld. He knows that I am his fat­her."
"How co­uld he know such a thing?"
"He as­ked me."
"What? Why sho­uld he do that?"
"He had over­he­ard the ser­vants tal­king."
"I can't be­li­eve it."
"That ser­vants talk? They do, you know. All the ti­me. Do you think for one mo­ment that they don't know how things are bet­we­en us? Do you think they can't see the af­fi­nity bet­we­en Ken­dal and myself?"
"What did you say to him?"
"I co­uldn't lie, co­uld I? To my own son."
"Oh! How co­uld you!"
"Believe me, he is de­ligh­ted. He clim­bed up on me. I was sit­ting at the ti­me and do you know, he put his arms ro­und my neck and hug­ged me.
He kept sho­uting: "I knew it was true. I knew it." I as­ked him if he was ple­ased with his fat­her, and he sa­id he wo­uldn't ever want anot­her fat­her. I was the one. He had cho­sen me from the mo­ment he saw me.
There! What do you think of that? "
"Oh, you sho­uldn't ha­ve told him."
"Should I ha­ve li­ed? Why sho­uld he not know the truth? He's happy. He sa­id: " Then if you are my fat­her, this cast­le is re­al­ly my ho­me. "
Oh, he's one of us. No do­ubt of that."
"One of the glo­ri­o­us Nor­man con­qu­erors, you me­an?"
"Exactly. And now you see, Ka­te, why it is im­pos­sib­le for you to ta­ke him away."
"I don't see that at all. I think that if the ser­vants are tal­king the­re is all the mo­re re­ason why I sho­uld go away. I want Ken­dal to go to scho­ol in Eng­land."
"He can do that from he­re when the ti­me co­mes. We'll ta­ke him over to his scho­ol. We'll go and get him when scho­ol ho­li­days co­me ro­und.
There is not­hing in our way. "
"As I see it, the­re is everyt­hing. You ha­ve ma­de up my mind for me. I shall tell Cla­re that we must get re­ady to go at on­ce. We can't stay he­re any lon­ger."
"What of yo­ur work he­re?"
"You know you ha­ve only gi­ven it to me so that I shall ha­ve so­met­hing to do. If I don't fi­nish the ma­nusc­ripts, so­me­one el­se will. Yes, I see it cle­arly now. We must go. Now that you ha­ve told Ken­dal you are his fat­her, I see it is im­pos­sib­le for us to re­ma­in."
I wan­ted to get away, to think. He had shoc­ked me de­eply. I knew that Ken­dal wo­uld now be as­king all sorts of qu­es­ti­ons. I must ha­ve the right ans­wers re­ady.
He had do­ne it pur­po­sely. He had de­li­be­ra­tely told the boy.
I tri­ed to brush past him, but he ca­ught me by the sho­ul­ders.
"Kate," he sa­id, 'what are you go­ing to do? "
"Get away ... to think ... to ma­ke plans."
"Wait a whi­le. Gi­ve me ti­me."
"Time ... ti­me for what?"
"I will think of so­met­hing. So­met­hing is go­ing to hap­pen ... I pro­mi­se you. Don't do anyt­hing rash. Gi­ve me a lit­tle mo­re ti­me."
Then he had me in his arms aga­in. He held me to him. I wan­ted to stay the­re . just li­ke that. The tho­ught of go­ing away was un­be­arab­le.
And as we sto­od the­re, I he­ard a mo­ve­ment. The do­or was ope­ning.
We bro­ke away gu­il­tily as Cla­re ca­me in­to the ro­om.
"Oh!" She ga­ve a lit­tle exc­la­ma­ti­on. I no­ti­ced the une­asy lo­ok in her lar­ge brown eyes.
"I tho­ught you we­re alo­ne he­re, Ka­te ..."
The Ba­ron bo­wed.
She ack­now­led­ged his gre­eting and went on: "I only wan­ted to say, wo­uld you mind if we ate a lit­tle ear­li­er to­day as the boys want to get out in­to the wo­ods. It's so­me new ga­me, I think. One go­es off ahe­ad of the ot­her and le­aves a tra­il ..."
We we­re not con­cent­ra­ting on what she was sa­ying. Nor was she. She must ha­ve se­en our emb­ra­ce and it had up­set her. She ha­ted conf­lict of any sort and I knew she wo­uld be de­eply dis­tur­bed at the tho­ught of my con­duc­ting a lo­ve- af­fa­ir with the Ba­ron whi­le his wi­fe was on her in­va­lid's co­uch in anot­her part of the cast­le.
She did not men­ti­on what she had se­en and I sa­id not­hing to her im­me­di­ately abo­ut my de­ci­si­on to go back with her. She was vi­si­ting the cast­le every day and her fri­ends­hip with the Prin­ces­se was gro­wing fast. If she did not go to the cast­le a mes­sa­ge wo­uld co­me to the Lo­ge as­king if she was well and if so wo­uld she co­me at on­ce.
I knew what it was- that spe­ci­al brand of sympathy. As I ha­ve sa­id, the Prin­ces­se, who re­vel­led in self-pity, wo­uld find the ide­al lis­te­ner in Cla­re. It had al­ways be­en li­ke that. I re­mem­be­red po­or lit­tle Fa­ith Cam­bor­ne who had be­en so de­vo­ted to Cla­re. I was not surp­ri­sed that the Prin­ces­se fo­und in her the ide­al com­pa­ni­on. I sup­po­se the­re are few pe­op­le in the world who want to lis­ten to ot­her pe­op­le's tro­ub­les all the ti­me. But Cla­re was one who co­uld do this ad­mi­rably.
She scar­cely ever men­ti­oned her­self and had al­ways had the gift of ma­king ot­her pe­op­le's tro­ub­les hers.
I re­mem­be­red how my fat­her had writ­ten of her, tel­ling me how much she had do­ne for him. Cla­re was in­de­ed a ra­re per­son.
It was af­ter­no­on- three or fo­ur days af­ter she had surp­ri­sed Rol­lo and me to­get­her. I had sa­id not­hing to her yet, but I was ma­king plans in my own mind. I must ad­mit I kept post­po­ning them, ma­king ex­cu­ses to myself why I co­uld not put them in­to ac­ti­on im­me­di­ately. I wan­ted to work everyt­hing out very tho­ro­ughly, I told myself. I wan­ted to ima­gi­ne go­ing back to Col­li­son Ho­use . li­ving the­re . fin­ding a nic­he in that co­untry li­fe whe­re one's ne­igh­bo­urs knew most of one's bu­si­ness. It se­emed that they did he­re too; but that so­me­how was dif­fe­rent. The Ba­ron was he­re to pro­tect me. I sup­pres­sed that tho­ught as so­on as it ca­me. Co­uld I do it? I had mo­ney which I had ear­ned in Pa­ris. I had eno­ugh to get me to Eng­land and to last me for abo­ut a ye­ar whi­le I put out fe­elers. And at the back of my mind was the tho­ught of the se­cu­rity that col­lec­ti­on of mi­ni­atu­res had bro­ught me.
I ne­ed not worry fi­nan­ci­al­ly and that had be­en the ma­in ca­use of my an­xi­ety.
Jeanne had go­ne in­to the ne­arby vil­la­ge to shop and ta­ken the dog-cart with her. It be­lon­ged to the cast­le, of co­ur­se, but we had be­en gi­ven per­mis­si­on to use it.
The fact that both she and the boys we­re out ga­ve me an op­por­tu­nity to talk to Cla­re.
I knew that she wan­ted to say so­met­hing to me and did not qu­ite know how to be­gin.
I sa­id: "Are you se­e­ing the Prin­ces­se this af­ter­no­on?"
"Yes. She ex­pects me."
"You and she ha­ve be­co­me gre­at fri­ends in a very short ti­me."
"I am sorry for her. She is re­al­ly a very un­hap­py wo­man."
"Oh, Cla­re, it is yo­ur mis­si­on in li­fe to lo­ok af­ter pe­op­le, I know.
But I do think if she tri­ed to ro­use her­self. "
"Yes, but her ina­bi­lity to do so is part of her il­lness. She can't ro­use her­self. If she co­uld ..."
"She co­uld if she tri­ed. She do­es ri­de now and then. I ha­ve rid­den with her."
"Yes," sa­id Cla­re.
"She has ta­ken me to that fa­vo­uri­te spot ot­hers.
There aga­in, her fancy for that is mor­bid. She told me that on­ce she con­temp­la­ted thro­wing her­self over the Pe­ak. "
"I know. She told me, too. How much has she told you, Cla­re?"
"She talks all the ti­me ... of' the past mostly. Of the won­der­ful ti­me she had in Pa­ris. I know that she had a lo­ver and that po­or lit­tle Wil­li­am is not the Ba­ron's child." || "She has told you her who­le li­fe story, it se­ems."
"I'm sorry for her. I do what I can to help. But the­re is so lit­tle one can do, but sit and lis­ten and show sympathy."
"Can't you ma­ke her in­te­res­ted in so­met­hing?"
"She is in­te­res­ted only in her­self. Oh, Ka­te, I am wor­ri­ed. I'm wor­ri­ed ma­inly abo­ut you and yo­ur in­vol­ve­ment in all this."
I was si­lent and she went on: "We ha­ve to talk. It's no use pre­ten­ding things are not what they are. Ken­dal is the Ba­ron's son, isn't he?"
I nod­ded.
"He must ha­ve be­en born abo­ut the sa­me ti­me as Wil­li­am was."
"There is lit­tle dif­fe­ren­ce in the­ir ages."
"Even when the Ba­ron was abo­ut to be mar­ri­ed, you ... and he ..."
I just co­uld not be­ar the rep­ro­ach in her eyes.
"Of co­ur­se," she went on, "I sup­po­se he wo­uld be con­si­de­red a very at­trac­ti­ve man ... to so­me pe­op­le. All that po­wer ... all that mas­cu­li­nity ..."
I in­ter­rup­ted her.
"Clare, it was not as you think. I was go­ing to marry a dis­tant co­usin of his and the Ba­ron had a mist­ress. He was fond of her and wan­ted her set­tled. He wan­ted my fi­an­ce to marry her. My fi­an­ce sa­id he wo­uld not marry the Ba­ron's mist­ress. So the Ba­ron... oh, I know this so­unds crazy to you, co­ming from ho­me whe­re everyt­hing is so dif­fe­rent. But the­se things do hap­pen, and they hap­pe­ned he­re. He ab­duc­ted me, kept me a pri­so­ner, and for­ced me to sub­mit to him."
Clare ga­ve a cry of hor­ror.
"Oh no!" she sa­id.
"Oh yes. The re­sult was Ken­dal."
"Oh, Ka­te. And you co­uld lo­ve a man li­ke that!"
"Love him?" I sa­id.
"We are not tal­king of lo­ve."
"But you do lo­ve him ... now ... don't you?"
I was si­lent.
"Oh de­ar," she went on.
"I am so sorry. I just did not un­ders­tand."
I told her how he had sent Ni­co­le to lo­ok af­ter me, how he had sa­ved Ken­dal's li­fe and bro­ught us out of Pa­ris.
She sa­id: "He is a strong man." She lif­ted her sho­ul­ders.
"I be­gin to un­ders­tand ... a lit­tle. But he is mar­ri­ed to the Prin­ces­se. She ha­tes him, Ka­te. He wants to marry you, do­esn't he?"
I re­ma­ined si­lent.
Then she went on: "But he can't be­ca­use of the Prin­ces­se. Ka­te, you must not be­co­me his mist­ress. That wo­uld be wrong ... very wrong."
"I am thin­king of go­ing ho­me," I sa­id.
"I ha­ve be­en wan­ting to talk to you abo­ut that for so­me ti­me."
"The Prin­ces­se told me that he had de­man­ded that she di­vor­ce him."
"When?"
"A few days ago. She won't, Ka­te. She is ada­mant abo­ut that. I ha­ven't se­en her so ali­ve ... ever be­fo­re. At last she has a chan­ce to ta­ke her re­ven­ge ... and she is go­ing to ta­ke it. She knows that you and he ha­ve be­en lo­vers. She knows that Ken­dal is his son. He ma­kes that cle­ar eno­ugh. He do­tes on the boy. And then, the way he ig­no­res po­or Wil­li­am. It's all very ob­vi­o­us ... and very sad. He is a cru­el man in so­me ways."
"You see, I must go back to Eng­land with you. I wan­ted to talk to you abo­ut that."
"We will go whe­ne­ver you say."
"It will be so stran­ge to be back at Col­li­son Ho­use."
"It was yo­ur ho­me for a long ti­me."
"Kendal will ha­te it. He lo­ves the cast­le. He lo­ves the Ba­ron."
"Children get over the­se things qu­ickly."
"I won­der if Ken­dall will."
"It's the best way, Ka­te. In fact it is the only way."
"You are so un­ders­tan­ding, Cla­re."
"Well, my li­fe has be­en very qu­i­et re­al­ly. I lo­oked af­ter my mot­her un­til she di­ed and then I ca­me to you ... Not­hing much had hap­pe­ned to me un­til I mar­ri­ed yo­ur fat­her. Who wo­uld ever ha­ve tho­ught I sho­uld marry! I was very happy. It was ter­rib­le what hap­pe­ned."
"You did everyt­hing for him. You ma­de him so happy."
"Yes. It se­ems to me that I ha­ve al­ways li­ved ot­her pe­op­le's li­ves. I lo­oked af­ter him. His li­fe was mi­ne. And now the­re is you, Ka­te. You are his da­ugh­ter and it is what he wo­uld want me to do. I want to ta­ke you out of this si­tu­ati­on which is be­co­ming mo­re and mo­re in­to­le­rab­le.
I fe­el it is go­ing to blow up in­to a big storm and I'm af­ra­id for you.
"
"Oh Cla­re, I'm so glad you ca­me. You ha­ve of­fe­red me the way out."
"But you don't want to ta­ke it, Ka­te."
"I ha­ve to ta­ke it. I see with you that it is the only way."
We sat for so­me ti­me wit­ho­ut spe­aking. Then she went off to pay the pro­mi­sed vi­sit to the Prin­ces­se.
To Die/or Lo­ve i‹S›x^ Sy My tho­ughts we­re in a tur­mo­il. I knew that I had to get away. Ha­ving tal­ked to Cla­re, I re­ali­zed it with gre­ater un­ders­tan­ding.
I lis­te­ned to Ken­dal, tal­king of his new stal­king ga­me which he and Wil­li­am pla­yed in the wo­ods. It was the fa­vo­uri­te of the mo­ment and the wo­ods and sur­ro­un­ding co­untry we­re an ide­al set­ting for it.
"There's a man, you see," Ken­dal exp­la­ined, 'and he was a pri­so­ner in the dun­ge­ons. He starts out from the dun­ge­ons. The Ba­ron sa­id we co­uld. We draw lots for pri­so­ner and hun­ter. Then if I'm the pri­so­ner, I go to the dun­ge­ons. I bre­ak out and ha­ve to hi­de myself. Then if I'm the hun­ter, Wil­li­am go­es to the dun­ge­ons. We ha­ve to le­ave clu­es and then the hunt starts.
"It so­unds very ex­ci­ting," I sa­id.
"Kendal... you know we can't stay he­re al­ways."
His tho­ughts we­re far away in the wo­ods wor­king out the clu­es which he wo­uld le­ave for Wil­li­am to fol­low. He did not at first se­em to grasp what I had sa­id and then sud­denly it struck him.
"Why not?" he sa­id sharply.
"It's our ho­me."
"No, it's not."
"But it is now ..."
"Wouldn't you li­ke to go to the ho­use whe­re I was born?"
"Where is it?"
"In Eng­land. It's cal­led Col­li­son Ho­use af­ter our fa­mily."
"I might... one day."
"I me­an so­on."
"I li­ke it he­re. The­re's so much to exp­lo­re... and the cast­le is so big and the­re's so much to do."
I sa­id: "We might ha­ve to go ho­me."
"Oh no, we wo­uldn't ha­ve to. This is our ho­me. The Ba­ron wo­uldn't want us to go, and it's his cast­le."
How dif­fi­cult it was. In a co­wardly man­ner I shel­ved the su­bj­ect. I sho­uld ha­ve to re­turn to it la­ter. I did not want to spo­il the af­ter­no­on's ga­me in the wo­ods.
He ran off to the dun­ge­ons, plan­ning his clu­es. I wan­ted to get right away in or­der to think. I went to the stab­les.
My ma­re wasn't the­re. One of the gro­oms ca­me over to me.
"The ma­re you li­ke to ri­de has be­en ta­ken to the blacks­mith's," he told me.
"But if you are wan­ting a hor­se, the­re is old Fi­de­le."
"Isn't that the hor­se the Prin­ces­se ri­des?"
"Yes, Ma­da­me, but she has not rid­den him for se­ve­ral days. He ne­eds a bit of exer­ci­se and you'll find him a ste­ady old thing. He's very re­li­ab­le. A bit lazy tho­ugh. You un­ders­tand?"
"All right," I sa­id.
"Let me ta­ke Fi­de­le."
"I'll get him re­ady. Why, just ta­ke a lo­ok at him. He's get­ting ex­ci­ted. He knows he is go­ing for a ri­de. He's ple­ased abo­ut that, aren't you, old fel­low?"
So I ro­de out on Fi­de­le and I was ama­zed how he to­ok char­ge of our di­rec­ti­on. I re­ali­zed he was ta­king me to the spot whe­re he must ha­ve ta­ken the Prin­ces­se many ti­mes.
Yes. I was right. The­re we we­re. The we­at­her was mild and it was be­a­uti­ful up he­re. Sum­mer wo­uld so­on be with us. It did not surp­ri­se me that Ma­rie-Cla­ude ca­me up he­re very of­ten. The­re was a pe­ace abo­ut the pla­ce. One felt re­mo­te from everyt­hing.
I de­ci­ded to find the spot whe­re we had on­ce sat to­get­her.
I tet­he­red the hor­se whe­re we had left ours when I ca­me up he­re with her, and then I fo­und the shel­te­red spot by the bus­hes whe­re we had sat.
I le­aned aga­inst them and let my tho­ughts wan­der back to my talk with Ken­dal, and I as­ked myself why I had not be­en fir­mer with him.
He was go­ing to ha­te le­aving so much. He was no lon­ger a small boy who co­uld be pic­ked up and ta­ken anyw­he­re wit­ho­ut pro­test. He lo­ved the cast­le . pas­si­ona­tely. He lo­ved the Ba­ron too. I was well awa­re of that. He was go­ing thro­ugh that pha­se of baby­ho­od in­to boy­ho­od and he saw him­self as a man. Sin­ce I had be­en the­re I had de­tec­ted in him cer­ta­in si­mi­la­ri­ti­es to his fat­her, and I was be­gin­ning to think that Rol­lo must ha­ve be­en very li­ke Ken­dal when he was his age.
But I had to tell him we must le­ave. Wha­te­ver his re­luc­tan­ce, we had to get away.
I he­ard the so­und of a hor­se's ho­ofs in the dis­tan­ce. I sup­po­sed in a spot li­ke this one co­uld he­ar from a long way off. No. They we­re co­ming ne­arer. Now they had stop­ped sud­denly.
My tho­ughts went back to how I was go­ing to com­fort Ken­dal. In com­for­ting him per­haps I co­uld com­fort myself. It was fo­olish not to ad­mit that to le­ave the cast­le wo­uld be as gre­at an un­hap­pi­ness for me as for my son- and per­haps it wo­uld ta­ke lon­ger for me to re­co­ver.
I was awa­re that so­me­one was clo­se to me. Fo­ots­teps ca­me slowly up the inc­li­ne from be­hind the bus­hes which not only shel­te­red but hid me. It must ha­ve be­en the ri­der whom I had he­ard.
I sat still. wa­iting and then a sud­den fe­ar to­ok pos­ses­si­on of me.
I re­ali­zed how lo­nely it was up he­re and I re­mem­be­red that oc­ca­si­on when I had be­en he­re with Ma­rie-Cla­ude and we had sto­od on the brink of the ra­vi­ne lo­oking down, and I had had a stran­ge un­can­ny fe­eling that I was in dan­ger.
Whoever it was was very clo­se now. I he­ard the snap of brac­ken . and then fo­ots­teps . slow and de­li­be­ra­te. n.

L.

I sto­od up sud­denly. I was tremb­ling.
Rollo was co­ming to­wards me.
"Kate!" he cri­ed in as­to­nish­ment.
I stam­me­red: "Oh ... it is you, then."
"I didn't ex­pect to fin­dj­coy he­re. Why are you ri­ding that hor­se?"
"Oh ... of co­ur­se ... I've got Fi­de­le."
"I pas­sed him ... and I tho­ught ..."
"You tho­ught the Prin­ces­se was he­re."
"It's the hor­se she usu­al­ly ri­des."
"My bay ma­re is at the blacks­mith's. They sug­ges­ted I ta­ke Fi­de­le."
He was la­ug­hing now, re­co­ve­red from his surp­ri­se.
"What go­od luck to find you he­re!"
"I was very start­led when I he­ard yo­ur ste­althy ap­pro­ach."
"What did you think I was? A rob­ber?"
"I didn't know what to think." I lo­oked ro­und me.
"It's very lo­nely up he­re."
"I li­ke it," he sa­id, lo­oking at me in­tently.
"Were you sit­ting the­re?"
"Yes, sit­ting the­re ... thin­king."
"Sadly?"
I pa­used.
"Of le­aving," I sa­id.
"I ha­ve to go. I've ma­de up my mind."
"Please, not yet, Ka­te. You pro­mi­sed ... not yet."
"Soon. It must be so­on."
"Why? You're happy he­re. The­re's work for you. I co­uld find mo­re ma­nusc­ripts."
"I think we sho­uld le­ave in abo­ut a we­ek's ti­me. I've tal­ked to Cla­re."
"I wish that wo­man had ne­ver co­me he­re."
"Don't say that. She is a won­der­ful wo­man. The Prin­ces­se is de­vo­ted to her al­re­ady." I went on slowly: "You ha­ve spo­ken to her ... The Prin­ces­se ... ha­ven't you?"
"I've tri­ed to ca­j­ole; I've de­man­ded; I've thre­ate­ned. She is ha­ving her re­ven­ge on me at last, but I shall find a way. Ne­ver fe­ar.
I am go­ing to marry you, Ka­te. I'm go­ing to le­gi­ti­mi­ze the boy, and we are go­ing to li­ve he­re hap­pily for the rest of our days. Tell me what you wo­uld say if I co­uld do that? "
I did not ans­wer and he gat­he­red me in­to his arms and held me fast.
I tho­ught: So­on this will be over and I shall ne­ver see him aga­in. I felt that was un­be­arab­le.
"You lo­ve me, Ka­te. Say it."
"I don't know."
"You can't en­du­re the tho­ught of go­ing away ... right out of my li­fe.
Answer truth­ful­ly."
"No," I sa­id,"I can't."
"That's the ans­wer to the first qu­es­ti­on. We are two strong pe­op­le, Ka­te. We are not go­ing to let anyt­hing stand in our way, are we?"
"Some things must."
"But you lo­ve me and I lo­ve you. It is no or­di­nary lo­ve, is it? It's strong. We know so much abo­ut each ot­her. We've li­ved each ot­her's li­ves. Tho­se we­eks in Pa­ris ... they bo­und us to­get­her. I wan­ted you from the mo­ment I saw you. I li­ked everyt­hing abo­ut you, Ka­te ... the way you lo­oked, the way you wor­ked ... the way you tri­ed to de­ce­ive me abo­ut yo­ur fat­her's blind­ness. I wan­ted you then. I was de­ter­mi­ned to ha­ve you. That bu­si­ness of Mor­te­mer was an ex­cu­se."
"You co­uld ha­ve sug­ges­ted mar­ri­age then when you we­re free to do so."
"Would you ha­ve had me?"
"Not then."
"But now you wo­uld. Oh yes, you wo­uld now. Don't you see, we had to be re­ady. We had to know. We had to go thro­ugh all we went thro­ugh to le­arn that this thing we ha­ve for each ot­her is not pas­sing ... not ep­he­me­ral ... as so many lo­ves are. This is dif­fe­rent. This is for a li­fe­ti­me ... and it is worth everyt­hing we ha­ve."
"You're so ve­he­ment."
"I ha­ve sa­id that abo­ut you. It is what we li­ke abo­ut each ot­her. I know what I want and I know how to get it."
"Not al­ways."
"Yes," he sa­id firmly.
"Always. Ka­te, you must not go yet. If you do, I shall co­me af­ter you."
I sa­id not­hing. We sat the­re si­de by si­de and I lay aga­inst him whi­le he held me tightly.
I felt com­for­ted by his pre­sen­ce. For the first ti­me I was fa­cing the truth. Of co­ur­se I lo­ved him. When I had ha­ted him, my fe­eling for him had overw­hel­med everyt­hing el­se. From hat­red I had slip­ped in­to lo­ve and as my hat­red had be­en strong and fi­er­ce, so was my lo­ve.
But I was go­ing to Eng­land. I knew I had to go. Cla­re had ma­de me see that.
I ro­used myself.
"I must get back. Cla­re will be co­ming from the cast­le. They will be ex­pec­ting me and won­de­ring whe­re I am."
"Promise me one thing."
"What is that?"
"That you will not at­tempt to le­ave wit­ho­ut first tel­ling me."
"I pro­mi­se that," I sa­id. " " Then we sto­od for a whi­le and he kis­sed me in a dif­fe­rent way from that in which he had pre­vi­o­usly, gently, ten­derly.
I was so fil­led with emo­ti­on that I co­uld not spe­ak.
Then he hel­ped me to mo­unt Fi­de­le and we ro­de back to the cast­le.
"Kendal," I sa­id, 'we are go­ing to Eng­land. "
He sta­red at me and I saw his mo­uth har­den. He lo­oked re­mar­kably li­ke his fat­her in that mo­ment.
I went on: "I know you ha­te le­aving the cast­le, but we ha­ve to go. You see, this is not our ho­me."
"It is our ho­me," he sa­id ang­rily.
"No.. no... We are he­re be­ca­use the­re was now­he­re el­se for us to go af­ter we left Pa­ris. But you can't stay in ot­her pe­op­le's ho­uses for ever."
"It's my fat­her's ho­use. He wants us he­re."
"Kendal," I sa­id, 'you are not grown up yet. You must lis­ten to what I say and know that it is for the best. for you and for all of us. "
"It's not the best. It's not."
He was lo­oking at me as he ne­ver had be­fo­re in the who­le of his li­fe.
There had al­ways be­en a strong bond of af­fec­ti­on bet­we­en us and I co­uld not be­ar to see that lo­ok in his eyes. It was al­most as tho­ugh he ha­ted me.
Could Rol­lo me­an so much to him? He re­al­ly did lo­ve the cast­le, I knew. True, it was a sto­re­ho­use of won­der­ment to an ima­gi­na­ti­ve child; but it was mo­re than that. He had ma­de up his mind that he be­lon­ged he­re and Rol­lo had do­ne his best to ma­ke him fe­el that.
He rob­bed me of my vir­tue, I tho­ught. He tur­ned my li­fe up­si­de down; and now he wo­uld rob me of my child.
I felt angry sud­denly. I sa­id: "I see it is no use tal­king to you."
"No, it isn't," sa­id Ken­dal.
"I don't want to go to Eng­land. I want to stay at ho­me." Then I saw that stub­born lo­ok in his fa­ce aga­in, which re­min­ded me so much of his fat­her. I tho­ught: He is go­ing to be just li­ke him when he grows up, and my fe­ar for him was ming­led with my pri­de.
I sa­id: "We will talk of it la­ter."
I did not fe­el I co­uld be­ar to say any mo­re.
It was la­te that af­ter­no­on. Je­an­ne was co­oking which she li­ked to do -and Cla­re had just co­me in. She had be­en to the cast­le.
"Madame la Ba­ron­ne is in a de­fi­ant mo­od to­day," she sa­id.
"I don't li­ke the way things are go­ing up the­re." She lo­oked at me an­xi­o­usly.
"This ti­me next we­ek we shall be set­ting out for ho­me," I re­min­ded her.
"It's best," she sa­id com­pas­si­ona­tely. I tho­ught it was won­der­ful, the way she un­ders­to­od.
"Where is Ken­dal?" she went on.
"He went off with Wil­li­am pla­ying that hun­ting ga­me they are so fond of, I be­li­eve. I saw them go off. He was car­rying so­met­hing. It lo­oked li­ke a bag of so­me sort."
"Laying his clu­es, I sup­po­se. I am so ple­ased that he and Wil­li­am ha­ve be­co­me fri­ends. It is such a go­od thing for that po­or lit­tle boy. I'm af­ra­id he didn't ha­ve much of a li­fe be­fo­re."
"No. I won­der what he will do when we ha­ve go­ne."
Clare knit­ted her brows.
"Poor lit­tle thing! He will re­vert to what he was be­fo­re."
"He has chan­ged a go­od de­al sin­ce we ca­me."
"I can't be­ar to think of him. Has Ken­dal told him we are go­ing?"
"No. Ken­dal won't ac­cept that we are. He be­ca­me so angry ... so un­li­ke him­self... when I tal­ked of it."
"He'll be all right. Child­ren adj­ust very qu­ickly."
"He se­ems to ha­ve be­co­me ob­ses­sed by the pla­ce ... and the Ba­ron."
"A pity. It'll all co­me right in the end."
"You be­li­eve in happy en­dings, Cla­re."
"I be­li­eve that we can do a gre­at de­al to­wards brin­ging them abo­ut," she sa­id qu­i­etly.
"I've al­ways tho­ught that."
"You're a gre­at com­fort."
"Sometimes I think I ought not to ha­ve co­me he­re."
"Why ever sho­uld you think that?"
"When I ca­me, I of­fe­red you a way out. So­me­ti­mes I think that is the last thing you wan­ted."
I was si­lent, thin­king: I be­li­eve she no­ti­ces everyt­hing.
"I ne­eded a way out, Cla­re," I sa­id.
"You sho­wed me a way.
So ple­ase don't say it wo­uld ha­ve be­en bet­ter if you hadn't co­me. "
We we­re both si­lent for so­me ti­me. I was thin­king abo­ut Cla­re and what her li­fe must ha­ve be­en li­ke when she was lo­oking af­ter her mot­her un­til she di­ed . and then co­ming to lo­ok af­ter my fat­her. Now it se­emed she was lo­oking af­ter me. It was true that she was the sort of per­son who spent her li­fe lo­oking af­ter ot­her pe­op­le and had no re­al li­fe ot­her own. It must ha­ve be­en abo­ut half an ho­ur la­ter when she re­min­ded me that Ken­dal had not co­me ho­me.
"He is la­te," I ag­re­ed.
Jeanne ca­me in then and as­ked whe­re Ken­dal was. We all ag­re­ed that he was la­te, but we we­re not re­al­ly con­cer­ned un­til abo­ut an ho­ur la­ter when he was still not ho­me.
"Wherever can he ha­ve got to?" as­ked Je­an­ne.
"He sho­uld ha­ve be­en back long ago."
"He must ha­ve got ca­ught up in the ga­me."
"I won­der if he is at the cast­le," sug­ges­ted Je­an­ne.
Clare sa­id she wo­uld go and lo­ok, and put on her clo­ak and went out.
I was be­gin­ning to fe­el une­asy. Cla­re ca­me back so­on lo­oking very dis­tur­bed. Ken­dal was not at the cast­le. Wil­li­am was not the­re eit­her.
"They must still be pla­ying," sa­id Je­an­ne. But two ho­urs la­ter when they had still not re­tur­ned I was se­ri­o­usly alar­med. I went up to the cast­le. I was met by one of the ma­ids who lo­oked at me with that spe­cu­la­ti­on to which I was be­co­ming ac­cus­to­med.
I cri­ed out: "Has Wil­li­am co­me ho­me yet?"
"I don't know, Ma­da­me. I will go and en­qu­ire."
It so­on trans­pi­red that Wil­li­am was not at ho­me. Now I knew so­met­hing was wrong.
Rollo ca­me in­to the hall.
"Kate!" he cri­ed, the de­light ob­vi­o­us in his vo­ice at the sight of me.
I cri­ed out: "It's Ken­dal. He's out so­mew­he­re. We ex­pec­ted him back ho­urs ago. Wil­li­am is with him. They went out this af­ter­no­on to play in the wo­ods as they of­ten do."
"Not back yet! Why, it will be dark so­on."
"We must find him," I sa­id.
"I'll ma­ke up se­ve­ral se­arch par­ti­es. You and I will go to­get­her, Ka­te. Let's go to the stab­les. I'll bring a lan­tern and alert the ot­hers. The­re's no mo­on to­night."
In a short ti­me he had for­med se­arch par­ti­es and sent them off in dif­fe­rent di­rec­ti­ons. He and I ro­de off to­get­her.
"To the wo­ods," he sa­id.
"I'm al­ways af­ra­id of the Pe­ak. If they got too ne­ar the ed­ge ... the­re might be an ac­ci­dent."
We ro­de in si­len­ce. I was get­ting re­al­ly frigh­te­ned now. It was dark in the wo­ods and all sorts of fe­ar­ful pic­tu­res kept flas­hing in­to my mind. What co­uld ha­ve hap­pe­ned to them? So­me ac­ci­dent? Rob­bers? What wo­uld they ha­ve that was worth ste­aling? Gypsi­es! I had he­ard of them car­rying off child­ren.
I felt sick with an­xi­ety and at the sa­me ti­me re­li­eved be­ca­use Rol­lo was with me.
We went to that spot which Ma­rie-Cla­ude had first shown me and whe­re I had met Rol­lo la­ter. I pe­ered in­to the eerie dark­ness. We ro­de right to the drop. Rol­lo dis­mo­un­ted and ga­ve me his hor­se to hold whi­le he went to the ed­ge of the ra­vi­ne and lo­oked over.
"Nothing down the­re. The gro­und hasn't be­en dis­tur­bed. I don't think they ca­me to this spot."
"I ha­ve a fe­eling they are in the wo­ods," I sa­id.
"They ca­me to the wo­ods to play the­ir ga­me. They co­uldn't ha­ve pla­yed it in the open co­untry."
Rollo sho­uted: "Ken­dal, whe­re are you?"
His own vo­ice ec­ho­ed back.
Then he did a shrill whist­le. It was earsp­lit­ting.
"I ta­ught him how to do that," he sa­id.
"We prac­ti­sed it to­get­her."
"Kendal, Ken­dal!" he cal­led.
"Where are you?" And then he whist­led aga­in.
There was no res­pon­se.
We ro­de on and ca­me to a di­su­sed qu­ar­ry.
"We'll ri­de down he­re," sa­id Rol­lo, 'and I'll sho­ut aga­in. It's ama­zing how one's vo­ice ec­ho­es from he­re. I used to call to my play­ma­tes when I was a boy. You get the ec­ho back. I sho­wed this to Ken­dal too. "
I won­de­red bri­efly how of­ten they had be­en to­get­her. When Ken­dal went off in­to the wo­ods, was the Ba­ron the­re too? Did he jo­in in the ga­me of hun­ter and hun­ted?
We ro­de up to the top of the qu­ar­ry and sho­uted aga­in.
There was si­len­ce for a few se­conds and then . un­mis­ta­kably . the so­und of a whist­le.
"Listen," sa­id Rol­lo.
He whist­led aga­in and the whist­le was re­tur­ned.
"Thank God," he sa­id.
"We've fo­und them."
"Where?"
"We'll find out." He whist­led aga­in and aga­in it ca­me back.
"This way," he sa­id.
I fol­lo­wed him and we ma­de our way thro­ugh the tre­es.
The whist­le was clo­se now.
"Kendal," cal­led Rol­lo.
"Baron!" ca­me the ans­wer; and I don't think I ever felt so happy in my li­fe as I did at that mo­ment.
We fo­und them in a hol­low- Wil­li­am whi­te and sca­red, Ken­dal de­fi­ant.
They had cont­ri­ved to bu­ild a tent of so­me sort with a she­et spre­ad out over the brac­ken.
"What's this!" cri­ed Rol­lo.
"You've led us a pretty dan­ce."
"We're cam­ping," sa­id Ken­dal.
"You might ha­ve men­ti­oned the fact. Yo­ur mot­her has be­en fran­ti­cal­ly won­de­ring whe­re you we­re. She tho­ught you we­re lost."
"I don't get lost," sa­id Ken­dal, not lo­oking at me.
Rollo had dis­mo­un­ted and pul­led back the she­et.
"What's this? A fe­ast or so­met­hing?"
"We to­ok it from the kitc­hens in the cast­le. The­re was a lot of fo­od the­re."
"I see," sa­id Rol­lo.
"Well, now you'd bet­ter co­me back qu­ickly be­ca­use the­re are a lot of pe­op­le se­arc­hing the co­untry­si­de for you."
"Are you angry?" as­ked Ken­dal.
"Very," sa­id the Ba­ron. He se­ized Ken­dal and put him on his hor­se.
"Am I go­ing to ri­de back with you?" as­ked Ken­dal.
"You don't de­ser­ve to. I ought to ma­ke you walk."
"I'm not go­ing to le­ave the cast­le," an­no­un­ced Ken­dal.
"What?" cri­ed Rol­lo.
"I'm go­ing to stay with you. This is my ho­me and you are my fat­her.
You sa­id you we­re. "
Rollo had tur­ned to me and I was awa­re of his tri­umph. The boy was his. I knew that he was very happy in that mo­ment.
William was stan­ding up lo­oking ex­pec­tantly abo­ut him. Rol­lo lif­ted him up and set him on my hor­se in front of me.
"Now we'll get the­se scamps ho­me," sa­id Rol­lo.
As we ap­pro­ac­hed the cast­le se­ve­ral of the ser­vants saw us ap­pro­ac­hing and a sho­ut of joy went up be­ca­use the boys we­re sa­fe.
I dis­mo­un­ted and hel­ped Wil­li­am down.
"It wasn't Wil­li­am's fa­ult," sa­id Ken­dal sul­lenly, as he was put on the gro­und ma­de him co­me. "
"We know that," sa­id Rol­lo, sternly pro­ud.
Jeanne and Cla­re ca­me run­ning up.
"Oh ... you've fo­und them!" pan­ted Je­an­ne.
"Thank God!" cri­ed Cla­re.
"Are they all right?"
"There's not­hing wrong with them," I told her.
"Have you so­me hot fo­od for them?" as­ked Rol­lo.
"Though they don't de­ser­ve it."
"I'm hungry," sa­id Ken­dal.
"So am I," ad­ded Wil­li­am.
"Come along in­to the Lo­ge," sa­id je­an­ne "You shall ha­ve so­met­hing in next to no ti­me. Wha­te­ver did you do this for?"
Kendal lo­oked ste­adily at Rol­lo.
"We we­re go­ing to camp in the wo­ods un­til my mot­her had go­ne," he sa­id.
"You won't let them send me away, will you?"
There was a short si­len­ce and then Ken­dal ran to Rol­lo and se­ized him ro­und the legs.
"This is whe­re I li­ve!" he cri­ed.
Rollo pic­ked him up.
"Don't fret," he sa­id.
"I'm not go­ing to le­ave you."
"Then that's all right," rep­li­ed Ken­dal.
He wrig­gled to be let down and Rol­lo put him on the gro­und. Rol­lo was lo­oking at me and I was awa­re of the tri­ump­hant gle­am in his eyes.
Both the child­ren had a bowl of so­up and when they had eaten Wil­li­am went back to the cast­le with Rol­lo.
He did not rep­ro­ve Wil­li­am at all. His rep­ro­ac­hes had be­en le­vel­led at Ken­dal, but they we­re not re­al­ly rep­ro­ac­hes. Ken­dal had ma­de everyt­hing very cle­ar. He had run away and pre­va­iled on Wil­li­am to go with him to show us that he was not go­ing to le­ave the cast­le wil­lingly.
Just for a mo­ment I won­de­red whet­her Rol­lo had sug­ges­ted the who­le thing. Ken­dal had ans­we­red so promptly to the whist­le. They might ha­ve plan­ned it bet­we­en them.
Oh no, su­rely not. Ken­dal was too yo­ung to ta­ke part in such sche­mes.
But with Rol­lo one co­uld ne­ver be su­re how far he wo­uld go.
Kendal was ti­red out and af­ter he was in bed I sat tal­king with Cla­re.
"What a de­ter­mi­ned child he is!" she sa­id.
"To run away just li­ke that to show you that he re­sents be­ing ta­ken away from he­re.
What use did he think that wo­uld be? "
"His in­ten­ti­on was to camp in the wo­ods un­til we had go­ne, and then to emer­ge and go back to the cast­le."
"Good he­avens! What a sche­me!"
"He is very yo­ung."
"That man has wo­ven a spell abo­ut him," sa­id Cla­re qu­i­etly.
"It is be­ca­use he has ad­mit­ted to him that he is his fat­her. Ken­dal has al­ways wan­ted a fat­her."
"Children do," sa­id Cla­re, and lap­sed in­to si­len­ce.
That day will stand out fo­re­ver in my me­mory.
It be­gan or­di­na­rily eno­ugh. I went to the cast­le to work on the ma­nusc­ripts; Ken­dal had al­re­ady go­ne with Je­an­ne for his les­sons. In the af­ter­no­on I bu­si­ed myself with get­ting a few things to­get­her with my im­mi­nent de­par­tu­re in mind.
I was thin­king of Ken­dal. He had sa­id not­hing mo­re abo­ut our le­aving, but I knew by the set of his mo­uth and his at­ti­tu­de to­wards me that the­re wo­uld be mo­re tro­ub­le to co­me.
Perhaps, I tho­ught, we sho­uld stay. Per­haps I co­uld ma­ke so­me ex­cu­se to Cla­re. I co­uld tell her that I wan­ted to fi­nish the ma­nusc­ripts and we wo­uld fol­low her la­ter. I knew that If I did that I sho­uld ca­pi­tu­la­te, for I co­uld not hold out much lon­ger aga­inst Rol­lo.
I re­mem­be­red the way he had lo­oked when he had sa­id:
"Kendal, don't fret. I am not go­ing to le­ave you."
He had me­ant that. He must ha­ve plans. In my he­art I wan­ted tho­se plans to suc­ce­ed. I wan­ted him to carry me off so­mew­he­re . as he had on that ot­her oc­ca­si­on and to say:
"You are sta­ying with me fo­re­ver."
And yet I went on, as tho­ugh in a dre­am, ma­king pre­pa­ra­ti­ons to le­ave.
The af­ter­no­on wo­re on. Je­an­ne was in the kitc­hen pre­pa­ring to co­ok.
Kendal had co­me in and was in the kitc­hen with Je­an­ne.
Clare was in her ro­om, pro­bably res­ting, for she had be­en out all the af­ter­no­on.
We sat down at tab­le at the usu­al ti­me and whi­le we we­re eating we had a cal­ler. It was the ho­use­ke­eper from the cast­le.
There was ming­ling an­xi­ety and ex­ci­te­ment in her fa­ce.
"Oh, Ma­da­me," she cri­ed.
"I won­de­red if Ma­da­me Col- li­son had se­en Ma­da­me la Ba­ron­ne." She was lo­oking at Cla­re as she spo­ke.
"Seen her?" I sa­id, puz­zled.
"She is not at the cast­le. It is unu­su­al for her to stay out wit­ho­ut sa­ying. I won­de­red if she we­re he­re ... or if you had any idea whe­re she had go­ne and when she wo­uld re­turn."
"No," sa­id Cla­re.
"I saw her yes­ter­day. She did not tell me she was go­ing anyw­he­re spe­ci­al to­day."
"She may be back now. I am sorry to ha­ve tro­ub­led you. It is just that it is so ra­re ... and I tho­ught eit­her you, Ma­da­me, or Ma­da­me Col­li­son might ha­ve had so­me idea."
"I ex­pect she has ta­ken a ri­de," I sa­id.
"Yes, Ma­da­me, but it is rat­her long sin­ce she went."
"She will pro­bably ha­ve re­tur­ned by the ti­me you get back."
"Yes, Ma­da­me, and I am sorry to ha­ve tro­ub­led you. But ..."
"It was go­od of you to be so con­cer­ned," sa­id Cla­re softly.
She left us. Cla­re lo­oked a lit­tle wor­ri­ed, but ne­it­her of us sa­id anyt­hing be­ca­use Ken­dal was pre­sent. When the me­al was over I went up to Cla­re's ro­om.
"Are you wor­ri­ed abo­ut the Prin­ces­se?" I as­ked.
She was tho­ught­ful for a mo­ment.
"I'm not su­re ... She has be­en a lit­tle stran­ge la­tely. It was sin­ce the Ba­ron as­ked her for a di­vor­ce."
"How was she dif­fe­rent?"
"I don't know. De­fi­ant, per­haps. I fan­ci­ed she was hi­ding so­met­hing.
She has ne­ver be­en very go­od at ke­eping things to her­self.
Perhaps it was up­set­ting for her to be as­ked for a di­vor­ce. That wo­uld be all aga­inst her prin­cip­les. He must ha­ve known that she wo­uld ne­ver gi­ve him a di­vor­ce. The­re wo­uld ha­ve to be a dis­pen­sa­ti­on, in vi­ew of everyt­hing . "
"I do ho­pe she is all right," I sa­id une­asily.
"So do I.1 think it is a very go­od thing that we are le­aving. It will ta­ke you right away from all this. You'll set­tle in Eng­land, Ka­te. We shall be to­get­her. I'll do everyt­hing I can to help."
"WhatofKendal?"
"He'll be all right. He's li­ved thro­ugh so­me very stran­ge ti­mes. It's bo­und to ha­ve had an ef­fect on him. He'll set­tle tho­ugh. A ye­ar from now we'll all be happy to­get­her. This will be li­ke a for­got­ten dre­am I pro­mi­sed yo­ur fat­her that I wo­uld lo­ok af­ter you."
"Dear Cla­re, I'm so thank­ful for you." I went to the win­dow.
"I wish we co­uld he­ar that Ma­rie-Cla­ude was sa­fely back. She might ha­ve had an ac­ci­dent. I don't think she is a very go­od hor­se­wo­man."
"Oh, she'll be all right on old Fi­de­le. He'd ne­ver bes­tir him­self to anyt­hing vi­olent."
As I sto­od the­re lo­oking out, I he­ard no­ises. Vo­ices . sho­uting . and the so­unds of ac­ti­vity.
"Something's hap­pe­ning at the cast­le," I sa­id.
"I'm go­ing to find out what."
"I'll co­me with you," sa­id Cla­re.
There was cons­ter­na­ti­on in the cast­le. The Ba­ron was sho­uting or­ders.
I gat­he­red that the Prin­ces­se was mis­sing and that Fi­de­le had re­tur­ned to the stab­les alo­ne. He had be­en fo­und pa­ti­ently wa­iting the­re for how long no one knew.
One of the gro­oms sa­id that he had sad­dled the hor­se for the Prin­ces­se in the mid-after­no­on and she had go­ne off on him. f That must ha­ve be­en se­ve­ral ho­urs be­fo­re.
The Ba­ron sa­id the­re must ha­ve be­en an ac­ci­dent, and, as he had do­ne when Ken­dal was lost so re­cently, he was ar­ran­ging for se­arch par­ti­es to go off in va­ri­o­us di­rec­ti­ons.
He was in per­fect com­mand of the si­tu­ati­on as he had be­en a few nights ear­li­er.
I ra­ised my hor­ror-stric­ken eyes to his and sa­id: "Can I be of any help?"
He re­tur­ned my ga­ze ste­adily, and I co­uld not gu­ess what was in his eyes. Then he sa­id: "You go back to the Lo­go. When the­re is news I shall see that you get it wit­ho­ut de­lay."
He glan­ced at Cla­re.
"Take her back," he sa­id; and ad­ded:
"And stay with her."
Clare nod­ded and slip­ped her arm thro­ugh mi­ne. We went back to the Lo­ge.
Time se­emed as tho­ugh it wo­uld ne­ver pass. A ter­rib­le fe­ar had co­me to me. Rol­lo's fa­ce kept flas­hing in and out of my mind. I re­mem­be­red words he had sa­id: So­met­hing wo­uld be do­ne. He was not go­ing to lo­se us . myself or Ken­dal.
And Ma­rie-Cla­ude sto­od in his way.
I am ima­gi­ning im­pos­si­bi­li­ti­es, I told myself. But he al­ways says that not­hing is im­pos­sib­le. He is ruth­less . de­ter­mi­ned to get his own way. I kept se­e­ing him as he had be­en in the tur­ret ro­om.
Implacable.
Bent on do­mi­na­ti­on. What hap­pe­ned to tho­se who im­pe­ded him? He swept them asi­de.
Oh Ma­rie-Cla­ude, I tho­ught. Whe­re are you? You must be ali­ve and well, you must. And I must le­ave this pla­ce. I must for­get my dre­ams.
I ha­ve to get away and ma­ke a dif­fe­rent li­fe for myself. I ha­ve to for­get the past. for­get the ex­ci­te­ment, the sort of lo­ve I had glimp­sed la­tely. I must set­tle down to a humd­rum li­fe . but one of pe­ace.
Peace? But wo­uld the­re ever be pe­ace aga­in?
Kendal went to bed. I was glad he had not no­ti­ced that
R
anything was wrong. He was so ob­ses­sed by his own prob­lem that he was not awa­re of anyt­hing el­se.
Jeanne ca­me and sat with us. We tal­ked in whis­pers and wa­ited . and wa­ited.
It was ne­arly mid­night when the­re was a knock on the do­or. It was the ho­use­ke­eper from the cast­le.
"They've fo­und her," she sa­id. She lo­oked at us with wi­de eyes, the exp­res­si­on of which was half hor­ror, half ex­ci­te­ment.
"Where?" whis­pe­red Cla­re.
The ho­use­ke­eper bit her lips. I no­ti­ced that she avo­ided lo­oking at me.
"They se­arc­hed the wo­ods. They tho­ught the hor­se had thrown her.
They co­uldn't see down the ra­vi­ne. It was too dark. They had to go down . And that's whe­re they fo­und her. She had be­en de­ad so­me ho­urs.
"
I felt dizzy. Cla­re ca­me to me and put her arm ro­und me.
"Poor so­ul," she mur­mu­red.
"Poor, po­or lady."
"I was sent to tell you," sa­id the ho­use­ke­eper.
"Thank you," ans­we­red Cla­re.
When she went out, Je­an­ne lo­oked from me to Cla­re.
"It's ter­rib­le," she be­gan.
Clare nod­ded.
"It's a gre­at shock. She must ha­ve do­ne it ... de­li­be­ra­tely. She had tal­ked of do­ing it... and now she has."
I no­ti­ced that Je­an­ne did not now lo­ok at eit­her of us. I co­uld gu­ess what tho­ughts we­re in her mind.
Clare sa­id briskly: "The­re is not­hing we can do. We sho­uld re­al­ly try and get so­me rest. This is a ter­rib­le shock. I'll ma­ke a lit­tle drink for us. We ne­ed it. Go to yo­ur ro­oms. I'll bring it up to you."
We we­re all glad to be alo­ne, I think. I wan­ted to try to work out how it co­uld ha­ve hap­pe­ned. I co­uld not shut out of my mind the tho­ught of her stan­ding on that spot with the ste­ep drop be­fo­re her. And in my tho­ughts the­re was so­me­one el­se stan­ding clo­se to her.
And then I re­mem­be­red that oc­ca­si­on when I had go­ne the­re with Fi­de­le and he had co­me up and be­en surp­ri­sed to find me the­re. He had be­en ex­pec­ting to co­me upon her.
"No, no," I whis­pe­red.
"Not that. I co­uldn't be­ar that. Not mur­der."
I know he was ca­pab­le of dras­tic ac­ti­on. I knew that he to­ok bold steps. But not mur­der. That wo­uld stand bet­we­en us far mo­re strongly than ever Ma­rie-Cla­ude co­uld ha­ve do­ne.
The fat­her of my son . a mur­de­rer!
I co­uld not ac­cept that. I wo­uld not lis­ten to the vo­ices in my mind . the vo­ices of re­ason and lo­gi­cal de­duc­ti­on. If I be­li­eved them, it was over . over fo­re­ver, and that was so­met­hing I co­uld not be­ar.
This night had bro­ught no new so­lu­ti­on for me. Un­less it had shown me the only pos­sib­le path I co­uld ta­ke.
Clare ca­me in stir­ring so­met­hing.
"It will ma­ke you sle­ep," she sa­id.
She sat down on the bed and lo­oked at me.
"This chan­ges everyt­hing," she sa­id.
"I don't know. It's too so­on yet. I can't think cle­arly."
"You're shoc­ked."
"Clare, do you think that he ..."
"No," she sa­id emp­ha­ti­cal­ly.
"How co­uld you sug­gest such a thing? It's ob­vi­o­us that she kil­led her­self. , . un­less it was an ac­ci­dent. She was a hypoc­hond­ri­ac. She had of­ten tal­ked of kil­ling her­self. The mo­re you think of it, the mo­re simp­le the ans­wer se­ems."
"I wish I co­uld be su­re."
"Do you re­al­ly think that he mur­de­red his wi­fe?"
I was si­lent.
"My de­ar, de­ar Ka­te, he wo­uldn't do it. I know he wo­uldn't. To mur­der for ga­in ... that's the co­ward's way. It me­ans you can't fight for what you want by any ot­her me­ans ... and that anot­her per­son is too strong for you. No, that's not the Ba­ron's way. I've be­en thin­king that we ought to go away ... for a whi­le. Then all this will blow over. We co­uld li­ve qu­i­etly at Col­li­son Ho­use and in a few months ... or af­ter a su­itab­le ti­me has elap­sed ... he can co­me over for you and you can be mar­ri­ed."
"Oh Cla­re, you work everyt­hing out so very pre­ci­sely."
"It's be­ca­use lam of a prac­ti­cal na­tu­re. The po­or Prin­ces­se has go­ne.
Poor wo­man. I was so sorry for her. She hadn't much to li­ve for, had she? I think it was the best way. It may be that she saw this, and re­ali­zed it wo­uld ma­ke it easi­er for ever­yo­ne. You see it was just her un­hap­pi­ness aga­inst you, him, Ken­dal . and her own child too. How do you think yo­ung Wil­li­am wo­uld ha­ve felt if you and Ken­dal had go­ne away? You've do­ne won­ders for him bet­we­en you you, Je­an­ne and Ken­dal.
He wo­uld be a wretc­hedly lo­nely lit­tle boy aga­in. Per­haps she knew this. Per­haps she we­ig­hed it up and saw the best so­lu­ti­on . the nob­le way out. "
"I don't think the Prin­ces­se wo­uld ha­ve tho­ught li­ke that."
"My de­ar Ka­te, how can you ever know what is go­ing on in ot­her pe­op­le's minds? Now try and sle­ep. When you are res­ted you will be ab­le to ta­ke a cle­arer vi­ew of all this. Then we'll talk aga­in."
"If I co­uld be­li­eve ..."
"You can be­li­eve. I tell you, you can. I know. I can see it so cle­ar.
I re­al­ly knew her bet­ter than an­yo­ne el­se he­re. She was open with me.
She con­fi­ded in me. I knew so­met­hing of what was in her mind. She has ta­ken her li­fe be­ca­use she tho­ught it was the best thing for her­self . and for ot­hers. I see it cle­arly. "
I wish I co­uld. "
"You will... and when this has all blown over ... you are go­ing to be happy. I pro­mi­se you."
"You are won­der­ful, Cla­re, You com­fort me ... as you com­for­ted my fat­her."
I to­ok her dra­ught. It did enab­le me to get a few ho­urs' j I si­e­ep, but I was awa­ke early and I tremb­led to con­temp­la­te what the day wo­uld bring forth.
There was much co­ming and go­ing at the cast­le all du­ring the mor­ning.
I did not go out. I co­uld not be­ar to. Je­an­ne to­ok Ken­dal out wal­king in the wo­ods.
Rollo co­me that mor­ning. He lo­oked very se­ri­o­us but I co­uld not gu­ess what he was thin­king.
Clare, who had be­en in her ro­om, ca­me down dres­sed for go­ing out.
She left us to­get­her.
I sa­id: "Rol­lo, this is ter­rib­le. How co­uld it ha­ve hap­pe­ned?"
"She kil­led her­self. She to­ok the le­ap. You know how uns­tab­le she was.
Why are you lo­oking at me li­ke that? "
He ca­me to­wards me, but I shrank back.
"You are thin­king .. he be­gan.
I did not spe­ak.
He went on slowly: "I know. It is what so­me pe­op­le will think. It's not true, Ka­te. I did not see her at all du­ring yes­ter­day. She went out alo­ne. I was he­re all day."
"You ... you wan­ted her out of the way," I he­ard myself say.
"Of co­ur­se I wan­ted her out of the way. She was stop­ping us ... I knew you wo­uld ne­ver re­al­ly want to co­me whi­le she li­ved. And now ... she is go­ne." He pa­used for a few mo­ments, then he went on: "She kil­led her­self. It was su­ici­de."
"But why? How?"
"Why? She was al­ways sorry for her­self, sa­ying she had not­hing to li­ve for. She has tal­ked of do­ing it many ti­mes ... and now she has."
"I wish ..."
"What do you wish? Are you tel­ling me that you don't be­li­eve me? Say it, Ka­te. Say you think I did it. You think she went to that spot ... as she ge­ne­ral­ly did. You think I fol­lo­wed her the­re."
"Did you ... on­ce be­fo­re ... and find me?" I as­ked.
"Yes," he ad­mit­ted.
"I wan­ted to get away from the cast­le and talk to her qu­i­etly. I al­ways knew we we­re over­he­ard. I wan­ted to me­et her the­re ... alo­ne to talk to her ... to re­ason with her ..."
"And yes­ter­day?"
"I ha­ve told you I did not see her yes­ter­day. Why are you lo­oking at me li­ke that?"
He had ta­ken me by the sho­ul­ders.
"Tell me what's in yo­ur mind," he sa­id.
"I ... I think it wo­uld be best... for all of us ... if I went away."
"Go away ... now that we are free!" The­re was a lo­ok in his fa­ce which frigh­te­ned me. I tho­ught then: He kil­led her. He has to ha­ve his own way.
"It will be dif­fi­cult," I he­ard myself stam­me­ring.
"There will be qu­es­ti­ons ... en­qu­iri­es ... So much is known abo­ut us.
Whispers .. scan­dals ... I sho­uld ne­ver ha­ve sta­yed he­re with Ken­dal.
What will it be li­ke for him he­re? Wha­te­ver hap­pens the­re will be talk. The­re will be this sha­dow han­ging over him. I must get away.
That se­ems very cle­ar to me now."
"No, you shall not go. Now now."
"You ha­ve al­ways ta­ken everyt­hing you wan­ted," I told him.
"But the­re co­mes a po­int when you can­not go on. Pe­op­le can­not be brus­hed asi­de just be­ca­use they ha­ve be­co­me an im­pe­di­ment."
"You're con­dem­ning me as a mur­de­rer, Ka­te."
I tur­ned away. I co­uld not be­ar to lo­ok at him. He was angry now. He had my sho­ul­ders -iga­in and he sho­ok them.
"Is that what you think of me?"
"I know you are ruth­less."
"I lo­ve you and the boy, and I want you with me for the rest of my li­fe."
"And she was in the way."
"She was..."
"She will al­ways be the­re. Don't you see that? I shall ne­ver be ab­le to for­get her lying in that ra­vi­ne ... sent to her de­ath."
"Sent! It was her own wish."
I sho­ok my he­ad sadly.
"There will be ac­cu­sa­ti­ons."
"People are al­ways re­ady to ac­cu­se. Even you, Ka­te."
"Please swe­ar to me that you did not kill her."
"I swe­ar it."
For a mo­ment I al­lo­wed myself to slip in­to his emb­ra­ce and to fe­el his kis­ses on my lips.
But I did not be­li­eve him. Everyt­hing he had do­ne had shown me that he wo­uld al­ways at­tempt to get his own way. Now he wan­ted me and Ken­dal and she had sto­od in the way. So she was now de­ad.
Whatever I sa­id, wha­te­ver I did, she wo­uld al­ways be the­re.
I sa­id: "The­re co­uld be a tri­al."
"A tri­al of whom? Of me? My de­arest Ka­te, this is a ca­se of su­ici­de.
Nobody wo­uld da­re of­fi­ci­al­ly to ac­cu­se me of mur­der. What, he­re . in my own do­ma­in . and the co­untry in tur­mo­il, still strug­gling to set it­self to rights! The­re is no fe­ar of that. "
"What do you fe­ar, then?"
"Only that you will le­ave me. I ha­ve not­hing el­se to fe­ar. She no lon­ger wan­ted to li­ve so she to­ok her own li­fe ... and in do­ing so she has left me free. I had to see you, but I think it wo­uld be bet­ter if you didn't co­me to the cast­le just yet. One of the ma­ids can bring Wil­li­am he­re for his les­sons. This unp­le­asant bu­si­ness will so­on blow over. I shall co­me he­re to see you, Ka­te. Tell me that you lo­ve me."
"Yes," I sa­id, "I'm af­ra­id I do."
"Afraid? What are you af­ra­id of?"
"Of so much."
"In ti­me, we'll bu­ild so­met­hing, you and I. I'll ha­ve what I ha­ve al­ways wan­ted ... one whom I co­uld truly and who­le­he­ar­tedly lo­ve .. and the child­ren we shall ha­ve to­get­her."
"I wish it co­uld be so."
"It shall be. It can be now. I pro­mi­se you."
I wan­ted to be­li­eve him. I tri­ed to for­ce myself to be­li­eve him. I sa­id to myself: We will li­ve thro­ugh the dif­fi­cult days and ahe­ad of us the­re will be the hap­pi­ness which we both want.
But the ter­rib­le mis­gi­vings sta­yed with me and I knew that fo­re­ver she wo­uld be the­re bet­we­en us, the sha­dowy third who­se de­ath had be­en the key to our own de­si­res.
Clare ca­me to sit by my bed that night. She sa­id: "I he­ard you tos­sing and tur­ning and I ma­de anot­her lit­tle dra­ught for you. You mustn't get in­to the ha­bit of wan­ting them, tho­ugh."
"Thank you, Cla­re."
"What did he say to­day?"
"That he didn't do it."
"Of co­ur­se he didn't. She did it her­self " That was what he sa­id. But even if it we­re true, he dro­ve her to it. he and I to­get­her. "
"No. She dro­ve her­self. I've told you so many ti­mes how well I knew her, how she con­fi­ded in me. She saw that it was the best way. She wo­uld ne­ver ha­ve be­en happy. She had de­ci­ded aga­inst ma­king a try to be so a long ti­me ago. In­va­li­dism ap­pe­aled to her. She had a child but she neg­lec­ted him. So­me wo­men co­uld ha­ve fo­und hap­pi­ness in him. I think she saw all that at the end. She tho­ught hers was rat­her a worth­less li­fe and that ot­hers co­uld ga­in so much from her de­par­tu­re from it."
"I knew her too, Cla­re, and I don't think she wo­uld ha­ve re­aso­ned that way. If she wo­uld ha­ve do­ne, why sho­uld she deny Rol­lo the di­vor­ce he wan­ted? No, I think she was lo­oking for re­ven­ge on him. Why sho­uld she ha­ve ta­ken her li­fe to ma­ke it easi­er for him? A di­vor­ce wo­uld ha­ve be­en eno­ugh to gi­ve him his fre­edom."
"Well, di­vor­ce is not con­si­de­red a true bre­ak-up of mar­ri­age in so­me qu­ar­ters. The Ba­ron wan­ted the­re to be no sug­ges­ti­on that his sons we­re not re­cog­ni­zed as le­gi­ti­ma­te ... everyw­he­re."
"But his son is il­le­gi­ti­ma­te."
"When you are mar­ri­ed he'll get him ma­de le­gi­ti­ma­te. That can be do­ne."
"William is re­cog­ni­zed as his son."
"And isn't."
"Oh, it's all so in­vol­ved ... so tra­gi­cal­ly in­vol­ved. I don't think I co­uld ever be truly happy. I sho­uld al­ways see her lying the­re. I sho­uld ne­ver be ab­le to for­get her, and in my he­art I wo­uld al­ways sus­pect that my hap­pi­ness had co­me thro­ugh ... mur­der."
"I be­li­eve you ha­ve con­vin­ced yo­ur­self that he kil­led her."
"Not con­vin­ced ... but- and I wo­uld tell no one el­se but you- I sho­uld al­ways won­der. Ot­hers wo­uld too. It wo­uld be a sha­dow to ha­unt our li­ves. We sho­uld ne­ver be free from her. It wo­uld af­fect our lo­ve for each ot­her. We sho­uld be ha­un­ted ... ha­un­ted, Cla­re, fo­re­ver. I think I ought to get right away. I want to ta­ke Ken­dal with me."
"He will ne­ver be happy away from he­re."
"He will le­arn in ti­me. I shall ha­ve to de­ce­ive him just at first. I think I shall tell him that we are go­ing back for a ho­li­day ... let him think that we are co­ming back he­re."
"And you will co­me back?"
"No, I shall try to start af­resh. I shall find so­mew­he­re in Lon­don.
Rollo must ne­ver know whe­re. I can't go back to Col­li­son Ho­use with you. I shall ha­ve to ha­ve so­mew­he­re whe­re Rol­lo can­not find me. "
"If.he did, he wo­uld per­su­ade you that what you are do­ing is wrong."
"Do you think it is wrong, Cla­re?"
"Yes, I do. You ha­ve a right to hap­pi­ness. You can be happy. You lo­ve him. I know what he did to you. I know the sort of man he is ... but he is the man you lo­ve. Ken­dal ado­res him and he is his fat­her.
He'll ne­ver be happy away from him. He is too old to get over it now.
He will al­ways re­mem­ber and ye­arn for him."
"He must for­get... in ti­me."
"I tell you he will ne­ver for­get his own fat­her."
"He didn't know he had one for a long ti­me."
"You are con­temp­la­ting do­ing the wrong thing. You sho­uld ta­ke what hap­pi­ness is of­fe­red you. The­re will be a dif­fi­cult ti­me to fol­low, per­haps, but that will be for­got­ten and then you will co­me in­to yo­ur own. I long to see you as Ma­da­me la Ba­ron­ne ... and Ken­dal happy .. and lit­tle Wil­li­am ... he'll be ove­rj­oyed. You sho­uld be happy, Ka­te.
We're put in­to this world to be happy. I pro­mi­sed yo­ur fat­her that if ever it was in my po­wer to ma­ke you happy. I wo­uld do everyt­hing pos­sib­le."
"You ha­ve, Cla­re."
"Yes, I ha­ve. And now you are tal­king of thro­wing away this chan­ce. I want to see you happy be­fo­re I go."
"Dear Cla­re, you are so go­od. You ca­re so much for ot­hers ... and ma­ke the­ir prob­lems yo­urs. But I know myself, and I think I know best abo­ut this. I am ne­ver go­ing to be happy with this sha­dow bet­we­en us."
"Because in yo­ur he­art you be­li­eved that he kil­led her?"
"I can't stop myself. The do­ubt will al­ways be the­re. I can't li­ve with it. I ha­ve ma­de up my mind. I am go­ing to start af­resh."
"He will ne­ver per­mit it."
"He won't know how to stop it. I want you to help me. I am go­ing to slip away... qu­i­etly. And then I shall lo­se myself in Eng­land.
Somewhere whe­re he will ne­ver be ab­le to find me. "
"You will let me know whe­re you are?"
"When I ha­ve fo­und a pla­ce I will wri­te to you at Col­li­son Ho­use, but you will ha­ve to pro­mi­se to ke­ep my sec­ret. Will you?"
"I will do anyt­hing for you, you know."
"Then you will help me now?"
"With all my he­art," she sa­id so­lemnly.
When I awo­ke in the mor­ning I was cer­ta­in I had co­me to the right de­ci­si­on, tho­ugh I had ne­ver felt so un­hap­py in the who­le of my li­fe.
I re­ali­zed only now how de­ep my fe­elings for this man had go­ne. The­re wo­uld ne­ver be anot­her in my li­fe. I wo­uld de­di­ca­te everyt­hing to my child, but I knew that he wo­uld ne­ver for­get and per­haps con­ti­nue to bla­me me for ta­king him from the fat­her he had grown to lo­ve and ad­mi­re mo­re than an­yo­ne in the world. And when he no lon­ger saw the Ba­ron, I knew that the pic­tu­re he re­ta­ined of him wo­uld grow mo­re and mo­re splen­did.
I saw the we­ary ye­ars stretc­hing ahe­ad, be­reft of joy. I must start a new li­fe. The plan was be­gin­ning to evol­ve. 1 must ma­ke my way to Lon­don, find lod­gings the­re un­til I co­uld find a stu­dio in which to work. All I had to re­com­mend me was my fat­her's na­me. That co­un­ted for so­met­hing. But wo­uld the suc­cess I had had in Pa­ris ha­ve be­en he­ard of?
That was what I had to dis­co­ver. So I must slip away from he­re sec­retly. I won­de­red how I was go­ing to get Ken­dal to co­me with me.
He was no lon­ger a small child- in fact he was old for his ye­ars, and al­re­ady I co­uld see Rol­lo in him. But I had to find so­me way of get­ting him to le­ave qu­i­etly. Cla­re wo­uld help me.
One thing was cer­ta­in. Rol­lo must not know, for if he did he wo­uld do everyt­hing he co­uld to pre­vent me. But I must go. Of that I was cer­ta­in.
I wal­ked ro­und the mo­at and lo­oked at the cast­le. I wo­uld re­mem­ber it al­ways in the ye­ars to co­me. The­re wo­uld be a per­pe­tu­al ac­he in my he­art and a lon­ging for so­met­hing that ne­ver co­uld be.
Marie-Claude de­ad had dri­ven as big a rift bet­we­en us as she ever had ali­ve.
My tho­ughts we­re in tur­mo­il when I re­tur­ned to the Lo­ge. It se­emed qu­i­et and empty. Ken­dal and Je­an­ne we­re not the­re. Nor, it se­emed, was Cla­re.
I went up to my ro­om to ta­ke off my clo­ak and the­re lying on my bed was an en­ve­lo­pe ad­dres­sed to me. It was in Cla­re's handw­ri­ting.
Puzzled, I to­ok it up and slit the en­ve­lo­pe. The­re we­re se­ve­ral she­ets of pa­per in­si­de.
I re­ad the ope­ning words. They dan­ced be­fo­re my eyes. I co­uld hardly be­li­eve I was not dre­aming. I se­emed to be plun­ging de­eper and de­eper in­to night­ma­re.
My de­arest Ka­te [she had writ­ten], I ha­ve be­en up all night trying to work out how to do what I must do. I re­ali­zed when we tal­ked last night what I had to do. It se­emed that the­re was only one way.
Marie-Claude did not com­mit su­ici­de. She was mur­de­red and I know who kil­led her. "
Let me exp­la­in to you. I ha­ve al­ways be­en the sort of per­son who had lit­tle li­fe of her own. I al­ways se­emed to be on the ed­ge of things lo­oking in. I lo­ved he­aring of pe­op­le's li­ves. I lo­ved sha­ring them.
I was gra­te­ful to be ta­ken in and al­lo­wed to. I grew so fond of them.
I ha­ve be­en de­eply fond of many pe­op­le. no­ne li­ke you and yo­ur fat­her tho­ugh, be­ca­use you bro­ught me right in­to yo­ur fa­mily . you ma­de me one of you . and ga­ve me mo­re of a li­fe of my own than I had ever had.
I do want you to un­ders­tand me. I know you think you do, but you don't re­al­ly know the es­sen­ti­al part of me and you ha­ve to if you are go­ing to un­ders­tand how everyt­hing hap­pe­ned. We all ha­ve hid­den pla­ces.
Perhaps I ha­ven't any mo­re than an­yo­ne el­se.
When I was yo­ung I had no li­fe of my own . The­re was only my mot­her's.
I was with her all the ti­me . re­ading to her . tal­king to her . to­wards the end do­ing everyt­hing for her. She was very ill and suf­fe­red a lot of pa­in. I lo­ved her de­arly. It was hard watc­hing her.
She wan­ted to die but she co­uldn't. She just had to go on lying the­re suf­fe­ring, wa­iting for the end. It is un­be­arab­le watc­hing so­me­one you lo­ve suf­fer, Ka­te. I tho­ught cons­tantly of how I co­uld al­le­vi­ate her pa­in. One night, I ga­ve her an ext­ra do­se of the pa­in­kil­ling me­di­ci­ne the doc­tor had gi­ven her. She di­ed pe­ace­ful­ly then. I didn't reg­ret it. I knew I had do­ne the right thing. I was happy be­ca­use I had do­ne that and sa­ved her from the ter­rib­le nights of pa­in.
Then I ca­me to you and you we­re all so warm­he­ar­ted and you ac­cep­ted me in Evie's pla­ce and you se­emed to be so fond of me. I lo­ved the li­fe.
It was so dif­fe­rent from what it had be­en. I was fond of ever­yo­ne in the vil­la­ge. Such ni­ce go­od kind pe­op­le . par­ti­cu­larly the twins.
I was drawn to them . ma­inly be­ca­use of Fa­ith. Po­or Fa­ith, she wasn't happy, was she? She was al­ways af­ra­id. I sup­po­se we all ha­ve a cer­ta­in amo­unt of fe­ar in us, but Fa­ith had a do­ub­le sha­re 'be­ca­use she had her sis­ter's as well. I knew she was very un­hap­py and tri­ed to hi­de it be­ca­use she didn't want to spo­il everyt­hing for her sis­ter.
Did you know at one ti­me Ho­pe al­most de­ci­ded not to marry be­ca­use she knew it wo­uld bre­ak that clo­se tie bet­we­en her­self and her twin? She was des­pe­ra­tely wor­ri­ed abo­ut how Fa­ith wo­uld get on wit­ho­ut her. They we­re li­ke one per­son. Well, Fa­ith wasn't happy. Ho­pe wasn't happy . but when Fa­ith wasn't the­re, Ho­pe co­uld be. They used to con­fi­de in me, both of them . so I saw the pic­tu­re from both si­des.
There was that spot, you re­mem­ber. Rat­her li­ke the one he­re. That dan­ge­ro­us drop. What was it cal­led? Brac­kens Le­ap? Well, I tal­ked with Fa­ith. We wal­ked to­get­her and we tal­ked and we tal­ked . and the­re we we­re lo­oking down. I didn't plan it. It just ca­me to me that it was the right thing to do. And it was. Ho­pe is very happy now.
Those lo­vely child­ren she's got, they are char­ming. It's such a happy fa­mily. And they vi­sit the grand­pa­rents, and all the tra­gedy is for­got­ten now . be­ca­use joy ca­me out of it. Fa­ith is for­got­ten now as you wo­uld ha­ve for­got­ten the Ba­ron­ne.
Then the­re was yo­ur fat­her. He pre­ten­ded to co­me to terms with his blind­ness, but he ne­ver did re­al­ly. I knew him so well and I knew how sad he was. On­ce he bro­ke down and told me what the loss of his sight me­ant to him.
"I am an ar­tist," he sa­id, and I am go­ing in­to a dark, dark world. I shan't see anyt­hing . the sky . the tre­es . the flo­wers and you and Ka­te and the boy . " I knew his he­art was bro­ken. I knew that to ta­ke his eyes away from an ar­tist was abo­ut the most cru­el thing li­fe co­uld do. One day he sa­id to me, " Cla­re, I'd be bet­ter off de­ad. " Then I knew what I had to do. I re­mem­be­red how easy it had be­en with my mot­her.
And that brings me to the Ba­ron­ne. She wasn't happy. She ne­ver wo­uld ha­ve be­en. She lo­oked in­ward all the ti­me . to her­self. She didn't see an­yo­ne but her­self very much. That po­or lit­tle Wil­li­am . he was so neg­lec­ted and un­hap­py . un­til you ca­me with Je­an­ne and Ken­dal.
What wo­uld he ha­ve grown up li­ke? But he will ha­ve a chan­ce now with you the­re. And the­re is Ken­dal. He wo­uld ne­ver ha­ve be­en happy away from his fat­her. He's a strong, way­ward boy. He ne­eded a fat­her. And the­re's the Ba­ron he ne­eds you, Ka­te. He ne­eds you to show him how to li­ve. He didn't know how to . un­til he met you. If you left him he wo­uld go back to what he was . blus­te­ring thro­ugh li­fe . was­ting it, re­al­ly. No, he ne­eds you mo­re than an­yo­ne. And then, my de­ar, de­ar Ka­te, the­re is you. I lo­ok upon you as my da­ugh­ter. I know I am not much ol­der than you but I mar­ri­ed yo­ur fat­her. I mar­ri­ed in­to a fa­mily . and I lo­ok upon it as mi­ne. I am de­eply fond of you, Ka­te. I think mo­re than anyt­hing now I want you to be happy with yo­ur fa­mily . with yo­ur work . Oh, li­fe can be so go­od for you.
You be­long to­get­her . you and the Ba­ron. You must be to­get­her now, ot­her­wi­se it will all ha­ve be­en in va­in. That is what I want. It is the very re­ason why I did what I did.
I wal­ked out the­re to me­et her. We tal­ked. We lo­oked at the vi­ew. It was easy. I just had to to­uch her and she was go­ne.
That brings me to my last mur­der and when you re­ad this it will be do­ne.
Perhaps I sho­uld not ha­ve in­ter­fe­red. We are not sup­po­sed to ta­ke li­fe, are we? But wha­te­ver I did, I did it for lo­ve. I did it to ma­ke a bet­ter li­fe for pe­op­le. That must be rat­her an unu­su­al mo­ti­ve: Lo­ve so de­ep and sin­ce­re that it le­ads to mur­der.
Be happy with yo­ur Ba­ron. Te­ach him how to li­ve. Ken­dal, I know, will grow up in­to a fi­ne strong boy now. And you will do everyt­hing you can to ma­ke a happy li­fe for lit­tle Wil­li­am.
Remember, Ka­te, all I did was do­ne for lo­ve.
I drop­ped the let­ter and sat sta­ring in­to spa­ce. Cla­re had do­ne this!
I co­uld not be­li­eve it . and yet lo­oking back everyt­hing slip­ped in­to pla­ce.
My po­or Cla­re, who had al­ways se­emed so qu­i­etly sa­ne, was sick. Her mind was un­ba­lan­ced. It must be if she be­li­eved that she had the right to ta­ke li­fe. And she had be­li­eved that.
"It was for the­ir go­od and the go­od of ot­hers," she wo­uld say. And I co­uld see how she con­vin­ced her­self of this. It was true that she had ca­red de­eply for ot­hers, and she had kil­led tho­se whom she had lo­ved.
How tra­gic it was! She, Cla­re, had as­su­med the Di­vi­ne po­wer to act and even if she be­li­eved it was a be­ne­vo­lent po­wer, she was still a mur­de­ress. I wis­hed that she had tal­ked to me. I wis­hed that I co­uld ha­ve hel­ped her, ma­de her un­ders­tand that the­re are no cir­cums­tan­ces when mur­der must be com­mit­ted. But it was too la­te now.
I ma­de my way to the cast­le.
He was the­re and I threw myself in­to his arms.
I sa­id: "I know now. I ha­ve it he­re. I know what hap­pe­ned ... exactly. I want you to re­ad this now ... to tell me that I am not dre­aming."
He to­ok the let­ter and I watc­hed the ama­ze­ment spre­ad ac­ross his fa­ce as he re­ad.
Then he lo­oked at me, long and ste­adily, and I won­de­red how I co­uld ever ha­ve tho­ught of le­aving him.
We ro­de out to the ra­vi­ne to­get­her. Cla­re was lying the­re with a swe­et se­rap­hic smi­le on her fa­ce.

This file was created with BookDesigner program
bookdesigner@the-ebook.org
28.2.2009

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Have Faith By Laura

Historical Fiction

596K 43.8K 30
A chance encounter between two people changes the trajectories of their lives forever. Cassian Kensington was a poverty stricken man, on the brink of...
4.9K 303 9
When her parents are killed during a storm, Clara Byfield discovers her mother had been hiding secrets. As she works to rebuild the family farm, she...
197K 10K 21
The gowns, the dinners, the dashing young gentlemen ... every young lady dreams of experiencing a taste of life amongst the nobility. For Catherine T...
7.7K 334 21
It wasn't easy to be a young female painter in 1839...and having a horrid father, only complicated matters for Adelaide Fairfax. When her parents sen...