When My Shift Ends | ✓

By iwearheelys

When former beauty pageant queen, Ellie Wilde, hears of her grandmother's sickness, she's the first to offer... More

when my shift ends
playlist & aesthetics
one
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
playlist | first draft
one | first draft
two | first draft
three | first draft
four | first draft
five | first draft
six | first draft
seven | first draft
eight | first draft
nine | first draft
ten | first draft
eleven | first draft
thirteen | first draft
fourteen | first draft
fifteen | first draft
sixteen | first draft
seventeen | first draft
eighteen | first draft
nineteen | first draft
twenty | first draft
twenty-one | first draft
twenty-two | first draft
twenty-three | first draft
twenty-four | first draft
twenty-five | first draft
twenty-six | first draft
twenty-seven | first draft
twenty-eight | first draft
final author's note

twelve | first draft

99.5K 6.5K 6.4K
By iwearheelys

A heavy beat reverberates through Ellie's body as she sits squished in the backseat between Cooper and Brandon. She glances down at her lap to see her already-low hemmed dress riding up dangerously high. Pulling down at it proves to be useless as it just rides up again immediately after.

Just as she begins to curse herself for actually choosing to wear a dress tonight, a warm jacket is gently placed over her lap. Confused, she glances up to find Cooper smiling down at her.

Before she has a chance to thank him, the volume of the music lowers and Nate begins speaking from the driver's seat. "Almost forgot about our tradition!"

Brandon laughs from the backseat while Cooper groans. Ellie looks between the two awkwardly, waiting for someone to explain to her exactly what this tradition is. When no one does, she finally asks.

Brandon wraps his arm around her shoulder, pulling her into his side as a drunken-grin sits on his lips. "It's our New Year's Eve kissing tradition."

Even more confused by this information, she asks, "Okay? And what's that?"

This time Cooper speaks up. "On our way to the party, we have this dumb tradition—"

"You didn't think it was so dumb when you created it, Coop," Nate says with a smug smile, eyes glancing between the road and the rear-view mirror.

"Anyway," he says, obviously attempting to hold back an eye-roll. "We have to put the music on shuffle. Whatever letter the song that comes on starts with is the letter of the person you have to find and kiss at midnight."

"What?"

Brandon lets out an excited giggle. "So if the song starts with an 'S', then you need to find someone whose name starts with an 'S' to kiss at midnight. Simple really. Tell her about the forfeit."

"There's a forfeit?"

"You betcha," Brandon says with a wink, reaching to the ground to retrieve his brown paper bag before taking another sip of the illegal contents inside.

Cooper stares at Ellie warily before finally saying, "If you can't do it, you have to go skinny dipping in Lake Washington."

"Skinny dipping?" she asks wide-eyed. "In the lake? It's almost January. It's freezing!"

"That's why they call it a forfeit, honey," Brandon adds, a lazy grin tugging at his lips as he takes in her horrified expression.

Janie clears her throat from the passenger seat. "Nate and I are exempt because we will clearly be kissing each other at midnight."

"I would also like to pass," Ellie adds.

Brandon cackles loudly beside her. "No. That's not how it works, Ellie. If you're single, you participate."

"So," Nate says, "The three in the back need a song, Miss DJ."

Janie nods, turning back to shoot them all a smile before plugging her phone into the auxiliary chord. "Brandon you're first."

"Give it to me."

She taps around on her phone a bit before the first song plays. The chords of the power ballad are clearly recognizable and everyone glances over at Brandon to see his reaction, though he just seems very confused.

Janie laughs. "'Faithfully.' Looks like you're kissing someone whose name starts with an 'F' tonight."

"I've never even heard of that song," he says in a bitter tone. "And no one's name starts with an 'F,' this is rigged."

Janie turns around, an offended expression spread across her features. "I don't know if I'm more offended that you don't know an iconic Journey song, or that you think I would rig this. I take traditions very seriously."

Ellie laughs as Brandon childishly pouts out the window, quietly mumbling, "Don't judge the size of my dick when I have to skinny dip later. It's cold out."

"Your turn, Ellie."

Her laughter ceases as her smile fades. "Do I really have to do this?"

Cooper laughs. "It's tradition, El. Wouldn't want to break tradition, would we?"

She stares at him for a moment, remembering the last time he talked about tradition. "Fine." She gulps. "What's my song then?"

The emo in her recognizes the song instantly and she feels her entire body freeze. She glances over at Cooper as "Cancer" by My Chemical Romance plays through the speakers. He looks back at her with a confused expression, probably wondering why her face has gone so pale. The confusion in his eyes leads her to believe that he doesn't know what song is playing.

"Um," Janie mumbles from the front seat. "Oops. I accidentally hit that song. It doesn't count. Let's go again."

Ellie lets out a breath she didn't know she was holding in before breaking her gaze from Cooper's and waiting to hear the next song. This time, she doesn't recognize the song that plays.

"'Body' by Wet," Janie says. "Looks like you need to kiss someone starting with a 'B.'"

Brandon glances over at her, raising his eyebrows suggestively. She laughs awkwardly, glancing to Cooper to see his gaze trained on his drunk friend beside her.

"Cooper's turn," Janie says, tapping at her phone. Another song that is easily recognizable takes over the car. "'Electric Feel.' Your letter is 'E.'"

Ellie avoids Cooper's gaze for the rest of the car ride, choosing instead to just listen to the music and Brandon's rambling about how it's unfair that penises shrink when it's cold. Even with the distractions in the car, she can't help but think about one thing. Her name starts with an 'E.'

Ellie stands in a corner of the kitchen, observing the partygoers as Cooper makes her a drink. There's a lot of screaming and a smoky haze that makes her feel as if she could pass out at any moment. It reminds her why she doesn't frequent these kinds of events more often.

"Here you go," Cooper says, handing her a traditional red cup.

"Where's yours?" she asks, grabbing the cup from his hand and taking a sip, the burning sensation taking her by surprise.

"Doctors say it's best to avoid alcoholic beverages during chemotherapy," he says, his smile faltering slightly. "They also say I'm not allowed to laugh or enjoy any aspect of my life. It slows down the healing process."

"Well good thing you've been hanging out with me. I'm the least funny person you'll ever meet."

He laughs, a mock-frightened expression taking over his features immediately after. "Dammit, El. You made me laugh. Keep it up and I'll never get better."

A smile tugs at her lips and she tries to hide it behind her cup as she pulls it up for another sip.

"Cooper!" Someone shouts from across the room. Ellie looks over the edge of her cup to see a dark-haired girl making her way over to them, a couple following closely behind her.

"Samantha, hey!" He says, walking away to wrap his arms around the petite girl. Ellie watches the exchange from afar, unsure if she should join him or go off and do her own thing. When he looks over his shoulder and waves her over, she slowly finds herself inching towards them.

"Hey, Cooper," the dark-haired man says, reaching out to pull him in for a hug.

"Hey, Evan. How's it going? Long time no see."

Evan laughs. "Yeah. Being an adult is kicking my ass. I'm okay though, doing pretty well. This is my girlfriend, Teagan."

"Hi, nice to meet you," she says, waving shyly at the both of them.

Ellie smiles but still doesn't say anything, unsure if she's meant to introduce herself. Everybody looks over to her and she feels like a cat has caught her tongue as she stares blankly back at them. Cooper wraps an arm around her shoulder, pulling her in a bit closer and easing her nerves slightly.

"This is Ellie, guys. Ellie, this is Samantha and Evan. We grew up in the same cul-de-sac."

A brief memory of Cooper and his friends talking about their friend Samantha comes back to her. She smiles politely before saying, "It's nice to meet you guys."

"Likewise," Samantha says, looking back to Cooper. "Where are Nate and Brandon?"

"Brandon went to find a girl whose name starts with an 'F' and Nate probably snuck away to a free room with his girlfriend."

Samantha smiles knowingly. "A girl with an 'F,' huh? I should go help him out. That may be a difficult letter."

She bids them all a quick goodbye before disappearing into the crowd. Ellie takes another sip of her drink before her gaze is returning to Cooper's. His eyes widen and a grin spreads across his lips as he turns to Evan.

"Evan!"

"Yes?" He says, a confused laugh following.

"Your name starts with an 'E'!"

"Oh. That's what that weird symbol is at that start of my name?"

"I need you to kiss me at midnight!"

Evan's smile disappears and a bored expression finds its way onto his face. He pulls Teagan closer into his side. "Hey, Cooper. Have I introduced you to my girlfriend Teagan? Oh? I did? Just a few minutes ago? Really? Interesting."

Cooper laughs, rolling his eyes. "If I don't kiss you, I have to go skinny dipping in Lake Washington. You know the tradition. Help a friend out."

"Find someone else that starts with an 'E.' I already have my midnight kiss sorted out."

"I don't mind," Teagan shrugs, laughing when she sees Evan's frown. "I get to kiss you every other night of the year anyway."

Evan shoots a glare in Cooper's direction but Cooper just smiles innocently in return. His glare fades as he glances over at Ellie and then back to Cooper. "Why don't you guys kiss? Her name starts with an 'E.'"

Pulling her cup back up to her face, she attempts to hide the blush that's creeping onto her cheeks. Cooper glances over at her, wearing a blush of his own. "Oh. Her name does start with an 'E.' I hadn't noticed."

She catches Teagan's gaze and she stares back at her, empathy dancing behind her bright eyes. Teagan smiles softly before nudging the boy beside her. "Just kiss the damn boy, Evan."

He looks over at his girlfriend before relinquishing a sigh. "Fine. But only because I care about your health and I'm sure that jumping into below-freezing water would not help your current state."

Cooper lets out a sigh of relief before directing a grateful smile in Evan's direction. Ellie tries not to let his relief bother her.

"What's your letter, Ellie?" Evan asks.

"'B.'"

He laughs, shaking his head. "I think I may be able to help you out too."

"Evan, no," Teagan urges.

"My friend Benny is around here somewhere—"

"No, absolutely not," Cooper protests. "I will not let her degrade herself like that."

"C'mon, Benny isn't that bad."

Teagan scoffs. "Ellie. If I could give you one piece of advice it would be to not kiss Benny. You don't need that in your life. He'll never leave you alone."

"Thanks for the offer, Evan," Ellie says with a quick laugh. "But it sounds like I'll have to pass. Besides, I think Brandon might be an option."

"I get it, no worries." He looks over at Teagan, communicating with just a glance, before looking back to Cooper and Ellie. "We're going for a walk. I'll be back by midnight so I can make all your dreams come true with that kiss."

Cooper smiles shyly, biting his lip and batting his eyelashes. "You have no idea how long I've been waiting for this, Evan."

"Trust me, I know. I'll see you in a few hours."

"Brandon!" A drunk laugh sounds from Ellie's throat as she leans into his chest. "Just kiss me!"

An equally drunk laugh leaves his own lips. "Nope. No can do, Ellie."

She pouts, her eyes drooping as she leans her head into his lap and looks up at him. "Why not? It's just one kiss. I need someone with a 'B' and guess what, your name starts with a 'B'!"

"There's not a single goddamn girl whose name starts with an 'F' at this party. If I'm going skinny dipping, so are you. We suffer together."

"Cooper!" She shouts, closing her eyes as she continues to lay on Brandon's lap.

A familiar laugh sounds from right next to her. "No need to shout, El. I'm right here."

"Tell Brandon that he has to kiss me. I don't want to jump in the lake."

"I don't think Brandon wants to kiss you."

Ellie's eyes snap wide open as she leans up to glare at the both of them. "Well, why not? I'm plenty kissable. You're all missing out. See these lips? The most kissable lips in the room."

"No one is arguing," Cooper says, attempting to hold back a laugh.

She directs her gaze to Brandon. "Well then why won't you kiss me? I'm not that repulsive."

"I already told you. If I'm suffering, so are you. It's not a matter of not wanting to kiss you. You could've spent your night trying to find another guy with a 'B' but instead you wasted it getting wasted and trying to convince me to kiss you."

"He has a point," Cooper adds.

"I still have five minutes," she says defiantly, pushing herself up from the couch and stumbling slightly.

Cooper reaches out for her wrist, steadying her before saying, "Maybe I don't miss alcohol as much as I thought."

"Where's that Benny guy?" Ellie asks, scanning the crowd as if she'll be able to spot him out.

"You're not kissing Benny."

"Yes, I am."

"Trust me," Brandon says, "You don't want to kiss Benny."

"I also don't want to go skinny dipping in the lake."

Brandon laughs. "It's not as bad as kissing Benny."

"Whose name starts with a 'B'?!" Ellie shouts obnoxiously, earning a few confused glances from some of the partygoers.

Cooper wraps a hand around her mouth before pulling her back down to the couch. He's laughing but she doesn't understand what's so funny. "For someone who hates attention, you really are attracting it tonight."

She slumps back into the couch, crossing her arms over her chest and frowning in defeat. Skinny dipping it is. She looks over at the clock, two minutes before she accepts the reality of her failure. A figure steps in front of her, obstructing her view of the clock. She looks up, the blurry figure becoming a bit clearer when she squints her eyes at them.

"Hi," he says awkwardly, looking between the three of them on the couch. "I heard you were looking for someone whose name started with a 'B.' I'm Brody."

Ellie smiles triumphantly, rising to her feet and wrapping her arms around the Brody character's neck. Not wanting to just kiss him without his permission, she quickly asks, "Is it okay if I kiss you really quick?"

His eyes widen briefly before he nods his head eagerly. Without a moment's hesitation, she plants her lips to his. When he goes to deepen the kiss, she pulls back, tapping her hand on his chest twice. "Thank you, Brody."

She drops her arms from his neck and falls back onto the sofa. Brody stands there for a moment, staring at her in shock. When she doesn't acknowledge his stare, he finally leaves. She looks back to the clock to see that it now reads 11:59.

"Maybe I should have kissed you," Brandon says with a laugh.

"You missed your opportunity."

"I hate to break it to you," Cooper says with a smirk, "but the tradition is that you have to kiss at midnight. Not before midnight."

Ellie stares back at him, her mouth agape. As if on cue, Evan begins walking in their direction. She hears the countdown begin. Ten... nine... eight... She continues staring at Cooper, watching as he laughs at her genuinely stunned expression. Seven... Six... Five... Evan makes his way over, standing in front of Cooper and leaning down so their faces are aligned. Four... Three... Two... They both lean in, ready to attach their lips in what is sure to be a quick peck. One.

She feels someone grab her, turning her to face them before connecting their lips to hers. She doesn't move, frozen into place. Her eyes search the face of the person whose lips are on her own.

Brandon.

He pulls back, a drunk grin sitting on his lips as he leans back into the couch. "No skinny dipping for you. You're welcome. Try not to gawk at my shriveled up penis when I come out of the water."

"Hold onto my pants, would you?" Brandon says, standing completely naked in front of Ellie. She tries to avert her gaze but every instinct inside of her is telling her to look down at what's going on between his legs.

"I don't want to hold your pants."

"C'mon. We've kissed now. We have a special bond."

Cooper rolls his eyes, snatching the pants out of his friend's hand. "I'll hold the damn pants. Get in the water. It's freezing out here."

Brandon places a hand on his hip and Ellie can't help but sneak a glance at what he's working with, quickly looking away as a blush creeps up her neck.

"Cooper. I am aware of how cold it is out here, better than anyone I'd argue. I will get in the water when I am ready."

"Could you be ready now?" Nate says with a sigh. "It's freezing."

"Fine. I'm getting in."

Brandon walks to the edge of the dock, looking down at the dark water beneath him before looking over his shoulder back at his friends. "Isn't being naked enough? My dignity is gone. Can we just call it good?"

The alcohol in Ellie's system does the thinking for her, moving her legs forward before she can even stop them. Brandon's forehead creases as he watches her approach him, completely oblivious to what she's about to do. Before he has a chance to figure it out, her hands are on his back and shoving him into the water.

As his scream mixes with the splash of the water, she quietly mumbles, "Happy New Year."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Clueless By Ash:)

Teen Fiction

393K 10.4K 30
He runs up behind you, picking you up and spinning you around. You laugh and blush the whole time. He finally sets you down and kisses your forehead...
2.3K 109 47
Bennet is a shy boy who likes to keep to himself. Ellen is an outgoing girl who wants everyone to know her name. The two were strangers but they knew...
43.3K 847 67
Two childhood best friends made a deal two years ago to have a steamy and secret relationship without any commitment involved despite the fact of the...
1.4K 36 16
"She was his other half. He was her other half. They felt complete, they felt whole, they felt better, around each other. But there were so many obst...