Moving Forward

By xFakingaSmilex

Ava thought she had the world figured out until it was turned upside down. She must decide if she wants to be... More

Moving Forward
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Blake's Bonus Chapter
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Little Leaps

Chapter Seven

23.8K 982 540
By xFakingaSmilex

My glittery blue pen is suddenly yanked from my grip, followed by a stream of laughter. Looking over my shoulder, I see Kyle's cheeky grin staring back at me. I take a deep breath to loosen up my anger towards Kyle. You can't sneak up on people like that!

"What are you doing?" I mutter.

"I wanted to see you," he explains. "Besides, you've been ignoring my messages. I had to see if you were still alive."

"I'm very much alive." I steal my pen back. "But I'm busy with my studies, so I can't chat right now." My comment doesn't do much; Kyle takes a seat on my bed and continues on with his ramble.

"You've been busy all week," he wines. "Can't you spend some time with your best friend?" Kyle tries to win me over with his best puppy pout, but it doesn't work on me, not today.

"I'm sorry, but I need to finish this work because they don't hand out third chances," I explain.

On my path to self-discovery, I decided it was time to get the study ball rolling. I've re-enrolled into my course so that I can earn my qualification. Kyle is a huge distraction. I've also been avoiding him because I don't want to mention my hangout with Axel. Knowing Kyle, he'll look into it more than it needs to be, then it'll be followed by a long lecture which isn't appealing.

"I'm not going to take no for an answer," replies Kyle.

"Shoo fly." I glare.

"How about you tell me what happened and then I'll leave. Tori hasn't squealed a peep." The fact Tori has kept my business a secret, even from Kyle, makes me especially happy.

"How about you don't worry about it?" I offer.

With a pout, Kyle's back hits the bed. He rolls onto his side and snuggles into one of my pillows. A sad pouty expression fills his face as he tries to guilt trip the information out of me.

"Why can't you love me and just tell me what happened?" asks Kyle.

"Can't I love you later?" I goran.

"Love me now," he yells.

Getting up from my chair, I grab Kyle's hand and tug on it. My attempts to throw him out of my room go belly up when he tugs on my hand and I fall. Kyle wraps his arms around my body and I shuffle around to get comfortable. I purposely poke him in the chest to show my annoyance.

"You know, I'm not going to tell you a thing," I say.

"I liked it better when I was your only friend. You're so secretive these days," he complains.

"I'm sorry, Kyle, I promise to tell you everything soon!" I smile. "Well get lunch, chat, just like the good old days!

"Fine," he grumbles. "I can see where I'm not wanted." Kyle shuffles off the bed and steps out of my room. He stands in the doorway and gives me his cutest puppy look. When I shake my head, he hunches over and frowns.

"Goodbye." I wave.

Kyle finally takes the hint and walks off. I hear him run down stairs and eventually, the muffler on his car booms through the neighbourhood as he tears off. Once I know he's gone, I pack away my studies and begin looking for an outfit. I still haven't found anything.

I fish out a pair of jeans along with a flowy black top that has silver studs scattered across the material. I don't remember when I got the shirt, but it looks alright. I grab my heels from the other night and slip them on.

Once I'm dressed, I head into the bathroom and play around with my make-up. I work on a dark smoky look. When it looks like I've been punched in the face, I take it off and start again. Perhaps something less complicated? I use some shimmery grey eyeshadow and eyeliner to make my eyes pop along with some red lip-gloss.

Mum pokes her head into the bathroom and smiles.

"You look amazing," she says.

"Thanks." I smile.

"Are you ready to go?" she asks.

"Almost." I run into my bedroom and grab my handbag before returning to the hallway. We walk downstairs and then out to the car. Once we're inside, I turn the music onto a station that's playing dance music.

We get a majority of green lights, so this gives us a free run right until we get into the city. And then the congestion sets in. We weave through traffic and doge people running across the road. Somehow, we eventually make it to the venue.

"Thank you," I say.

"Have fun and be safe!"

"I will." I smile.

Shutting the door, I run towards the line to get into the building. The line moves quickly and then I head straight to the bar to order a drink. I look around in search for the unfamiliar face of Axel. I almost lose hope until someone taps on my shoulder.

I spin around to see Axel standing behind me with a drink in his hand.

"For you," he says.

"I was told not to take drinks from strangers," I tease.

"Good thing I'm not a stranger anymore." He laughs.

"Good point, stranger." Taking the drink from his hand, I sip from the cold content and smile.

"Did I get the right drink?"

"Yes." I nod my head with approval.

Axel grabs my hand and pulls me through the crowd. We leave the open space with the bar and step into another room where there's a swarm of people and a band on stage. They're already playing a tune that's bursting through the speakers.

"Do you like them?" he asks.

"Sure." I nod my head. "They don't sound too bad."

I finish off my drink and leave it on a side table before following Axel. He pushes through the crowd until he's in the middle of it. His arm wraps around my waist to pull me closer to him so we're not separated. We're in a mush of bodies but it doesn't matter too much.

We put are arms in the air and jam to the song. It's hard to catch the exact lyrics from the songs, but I do enjoy the rock undertone of the music.

Axel and I dance through three more songs until I'm completely out of breathe. I take his hand and drag him through the pit of people and back to where we were before. I order a glass of water and another drink from the bar before finding a seat.

"I'm gone." I sigh.

"You rocked your little heart out there," says Axel.

"Also my sweat and breath." I chuckle.

"Do you want to stay here then?" he asks.

"You can go back in, I'd hate for you to miss their performance," I explain.

"No, but I do want you to meet the band after."

"What do you mean?" I smile.

"Before I went to university, I used to play in the band. I'm thinking about re-joining, but I'm not sure it's the right time for me," he explains.

"You should do what makes you happy," I say.

"Then, we should finish these drinks and keep dancing."

"Okay." I smile.

Axel and I finish our drinks and then we head back. He grabs my hand and spins me around. We stay towards the side so it's easier to move around and enjoy the beat of the music. Instead of getting an elbow to the face.

When the band if finished their set, they jump off stage and Axel walks towards them. The group filter into the outdoor section which gives us a chance to talk.

He introduces me to Caden, Mason, Aiden, and Lucas. Two of them leave for the bar, which leaves us with who I think is Caden and Aiden, though, I'm not sure. I can't hear over the music, but the three manage to converse about something. One of them shoots me a wink which makes me feel awkward.

Since I can't hear what they are saying, I decide to explore. I wander back through to the other room and notice a DJ has replied their position on the stage. Without a fault in the set, music continues to pump through the speakers.

Part way through the song, Axel tugs on my arm and smiles.

"Sorry," he apologises.

"No, it's okay." I shrug.

"Do you want to get out of here?" he asks.

"Sure."

Axel grabs my hand and we exit without saying goodbye. We easily catch a taxi back to Axel's apartment which is surprisingly close to the city. Thankfully, his weird roommate isn't in sight. I don't think I can stomach another awkward meeting with him.

"I only have a bottle of Kraken to drink, is that okay?" he asks.

"Yes, that's okay." I shrug.

Axel makes us two drinks before coming to sit on the lounge. We both stare at each other awkwardly before laughing.

"So, the band?" I ask.

"My guitar looks so sad collecting dust," he notes.

"Maybe you should play me something?" I smile.

Axel grins as he places his drink on the coffee table. He walks into his room, then returns with his guitar. He plonks onto the chair and begins strumming his fingers over the strings.

"What should I play?"

"Anything." I shrug my shoulders.

"Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City?" Axel starts to sing.

"Oh my gosh, this is a brilliant song!" I gush.

"It's the first song I learned on the guitar." He smiles proudly.

Axel places his guitar beside the couch and grabs his glass from the table. He takes a long drink while I polish it off. Then I kick my shoes off and stretch out on the couch.

He pats my foot and then yanks on my leg. My body slides across the couch and he wraps his arms around my legs.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"Nothing?" He laughs.

I move closer to Axel and flick his nose. He jumps back and then moves in to poke my side.

"What was that for, hey?"

"For making me uncomfortable," I explain.

"So you flick people's noses?" he asks.

"Just yours."

I shuffle on the couch and then Axel lays next to me. He grabs my hand and begins playing with my fingers.

"Even though I bored you with the guys, did you have some fun?" asks Axel.

"I did." I smile. "The most fun I've had in awhile."

Axel moves so that he's resting on his side and looking at me. He leans in and brushes his nose against mine. Then, his fingers trail through my loose hair.

"You look beautiful tonight," he compliments.

"Thank you," I say.

His lips inch towards mine and I don't know what to do. Instead of bolting, I just wait. His warm, soft lips press against mine. His hand trails down my side and then I lose my nerve.

Jumping back, I fall off the couch and smack my head on the ground.

"Shit, are you okay?"

"Yes and I've just realised the time. I should leave," I explain.

"I'm sorry, you don't need to leave."

"I have no idea what I'm doing here." I shake my head. "I'm in love with another man, yet I find you exciting."

Axel shrugs his shoulder and smiles. "Then stay. Life isn't about being sure, it's about taking life in your hands and living it."

"So many people have told me how to live life, yet I haven't figured it out myself," I whisper.

"Maybe you should start doing what makes you happy?" he offers.

"I agree with you, Axel," I say.

"Will you stay?" asks Axel.

"Not tonight."

"That's fine but if it's too late, you can take my bed tonight. The couch is rather comfortable."

"I'll have to take that offer up another time. But I really must go, it's already one in the morning, crazy, right?" I chuckle.

Axel gets off the couch and then lends me a hand. He pulls me off the ground and I fall into his arms. His hands play with my fingers as we walk towards the door. Before I have the chance to open the door, he presses me against it and smiles.

"I promise I won't kiss you if you'll see me again," he says.

"Hm."

Axel cups my cheek and uses his thumb to gently stroke my cheek.

"Fine, I'll see you again."

"Ouch." He pouts. "Am I that bad of a kisser?"

"No, you're not." I wrap my arm around his neck and press my lips against his. Axel tugs my body closer to his and I let myself be consumed by him.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

188 27 13
It all was started just because of painting and now.. it changed her life making her having two choices... At first it was like nightmare but then sh...
113K 2.6K 36
When bad things happen there must come a silver lining because, without one, there is no moving forward, however, for Iris, it's not all so easy. On...
288K 11.5K 43
Blake and Ava must fight for the life they want, even if that involves risking it all. Series Order: Baby Steps, Colossal Jump, Moving Forward, Litt...
293 10 34
He's been missing since he was 10. All he wants is to go home. He misses his family and friends. Will he see them again? *Mature themes, Language, Tr...