Double Jinx (Wattys2017)

By The_Queen_97

It's been ten years since silent Genevieve has stepped foot in the town where all hell broke loose. Memories... More

Preface
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Sorry!
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
New book!

Chapter 13

9.8K 426 381
By The_Queen_97

It took the rest of the day to show my brother around Barren Valley, mostly because people constantly interrupted our tour by asking questions and making small talk. Very few asked me any questions directly and even less acknowledged Ace's presence at all. Jason kept the locals occupied while Ace and I hung in the background, hiding in the shadows.

    I didn't understand why Ace was hiding though. I had a reason but Ace didn't, he belonged here.

    After hours in the sun and the most awkward silence between Ace and I, Jason finally called it a day. He was tired and needed to finish unpacking, that was his excuse anyways. I think the real reason he left was because he couldn't stand the way Ace and I wouldn't speak to one another.

    Our silence held no malevolent intents nor was it from actual desire to not speak with each other. We just didn't know what to say. I didn't talk much under the most normal of circumstances, and this particular circumstance had my thought process all over the place. Here I was, faced with a boy who had practically seen me naked. Anyone else in my position would feel honored and would go on their way with a sense of pride at affecting Ace so greatly.

    But I couldn't be like that. I didn't know how.

    Instead, all I could do was shrivel away into my shell and pray that this occurrence would pass. Ace would get over it soon enough and promise me that all was fine once again. Right?

    That wasn't the case, though. When we got back to grandma's house, Jason wished Ace a swift goodbye completed with a hug before strolling away. Casually. With no worries. Lucky him. On the other hand, Ace merely mumbled a soft goodnight to me.

    "Ace ..." I started, wringing my fingers nervously in my lap, "We need to talk about this."

    He nodded, his gaze locked on the steering wheel in his hands, "I'm sorry. I really am. I didn't mean to walk in."

    I double checked to make sure Jason was truly gone before I climbed into the front seat. I turned to face Ace, folding my legs under me as I did so, "It was an accident, no big deal."

    Still he wouldn't look at me, "I just want to make sure you know that it wasn't my intention to ... well, to ..."

    When he couldn't get the words out, I reached a hand towards his forearm and gave it a tight squeeze. This drew his attention away from the steering wheel and to the place where our skin made contact. He stared down at my hand, watching it, as though my fingers might hold some dire secret I was unaware of.

    "You shouldn't feel guilty. I know it wasn't your intention." I told him, keeping my tone light. He seemed to think I was appalled that he'd try such a 'dirty trick' when in actuality, it was quite the opposite. Of course, I'd never tell him that but I also couldn't let him suffer because he regretted something that was entirely accidental, "Just forget that it ever happened, okay?"

    Those stormy eyes swung up to meet mine but they are clouded in such a way that they almost didn't resemble Ace's eyes whatsoever. He nodded slowly, his neck shifting as he swallowed, "I'll certainly try."

    Why did that sentence make my heart stop?

    "Good." I whispered, withdrawing my hand. Well, things weren't back to normal but they were better. At least Ace would look at me now. Maybe we'd have to spend some time regaining that comfort which was lost but Ace and I would work through it. We always did.

    I moved towards the door, preparing to escape to my room and light one of my many candles to forget this day ever happened, when Ace's phone began to buzz. I waited for him to answer it so I could say a proper goodbye but my farewell never came.

    "Hello?" Ace asked.

    I couldn't tell who was on the other line or what they were saying, but they spoke fast. Panicked.

    "What? Why was he alone?" Ace nearly shouted, his tone dipping low but his voice raising. His knuckles went white as he gripped the steering wheel, his muscles tightening, "Okay. I'm on my way. Just stay with him until I get there." Ace threw his phone onto the seat besides him, "Sorry Bunny, but I've got to go."

    "Is everything alright?" I asked.

    He shook his head, "No. Creston got hurt ... in an accident. Crashed his car into a tree."

    My suspicions reared their ugly heads and I couldn't stop myself from asking, "Well, is he going to be okay?"

    Ace shrugged, "I don't know. But I've got to go. So I'll see you in school tomorrow, okay?"

    This was my chance. I wanted to know what kind of trouble Ace and Creston were in, and what better way to find out than to tag along, "Why don't I come with you? My mom taught me some first aid when I was younger. I might be able to help."

    Ace's eyes snapped to meet mine, "No."

    No? A flat no?

    "Why not?" I wondered, "Creston is my friend too. I want to make sure he's okay."

    "I'm sure he'll be fine, it wasn't a bad crash." Ace countered quickly, reaching over my body to shove the door open, "I've got to get going so just run along."

    My eyebrows drew together in hurt. Run along? As though I were just some pesky child irritating him? Sure, I wasn't wonderful company but I'd like to think Ace enjoyed having me around. Guess not. He wanted me to 'run along'.

    Ace's face fell into recognition at what he said and his hands fell away from the steering wheel, "I'm sorry, Bunny. I didn't mean it like that."

    I nodded but my voice was lost. For the first time since I found Ace again, I didn't want to speak to him. Without replying, I flung my body from the truck and slammed the door behind me. I shouldn't be mad, there was no logical reason for me to be so upset. But I was. I couldn't explain it. The only thought running through my mind was 'I bet he doesn't talk to Holly like that'.

    Well of course he didn't talk to Holly like that. Holly could handle herself and Ace knew that. He trusted her to take care of herself but he didn't trust me like that. He's been looking out for me and protecting me since the day I met him, as though I were some fragile porcelain doll. Maybe I was, I sure as hell acted like it.

    Which then led back to the fact that I couldn't be angry at him for acting like this. I encouraged this kind of behavior by being so damn helpless.

    "Bunny wait!" Ace called as he jumped from his truck and jogged to my side. He actually stopped in front of me, hindering my retreat.

    I crossed my arms, diverting my eyes. Sure, I shouldn't be mad at him. But that didn't stop the way my chest ached when his words rolled through my mind time and time again.

    Run along.

    "You should go. Creston and Holly are waiting." I told him quietly, purposely avoiding his eyes because I knew how it would bother him. Jeez, when had I gotten so petty?

    "You know I didn't mean it like that, those words just slipped out." He stepped closer to me, attempting to draw my eyes as he did so often. But I wouldn't give in this time, "I'm sorry."

    "It's fine." I answered, rolling my lips into my mouth to keep them from chattering. Nevada could get cold at night, especially since I was so used to the heat. Ace watched me for a while, towering over me as only he could. I wanted to look at him, the pull to make eye contact was almost too great. Luckily, Ace moved on before I could.

    "I really have to go." He sighed, running his fingers through his hair, "But we'll talk about this tomorrow."

    He didn't phrase it as a question, more of a statement.

    My head nodded once but no words came. They never did. Ace remained still for a moment longer before he stepped to the side, letting me pass.

    I basically ran to the front door, shutting the heavy wood tightly behind me but I didn't move until I heard the roar of Ace's truck fade into the distance. Jason must have been in his room and grandma was nowhere to be seen. Even Elena had made herself scarce. That was fine by me, I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone anyways.

    With a misplaced feeling of regret swimming in my gut, I fled to my room and buried myself under the blankets. It was dark out, that meant I could sleep. Technically, we hadn't eaten dinner yet but I wasn't hungry. All I wanted was for this day to end so I could start a new one. Maybe tomorrow would be better.

    But that hope was misplaced as well.

    When I got to school the next morning, after successfully dodging my brother's and grandma's prying questions about my 'off' attitude, I found no one waiting by my locker. Not Ace or Creston, not even Holly. I didn't expect all three but at least one. Creston was understandable, he had been in an accident. And maybe Holly or Ace was looking after him, but all three?

    The day passed excruciatingly slow and gym class was a nightmare.

    The rest of the day trudged along uneventfully, grandma was helping Donna pack up some of Ted's things and Jason was out looking for work. So the house was all mine. Which would have been fine if I didn't keep hearing footsteps down the hall. I must have called out for Elena ten times before I managed to convince myself that she wasn't here.

    Just me.

    Well, and whatever else was roaming the house.

    As the day came to an end and even my books began to bore me, I checked my phone for the umpteenth time in the hopes that Ace had texted me. He said he would. He told me last night that we'd talk about what happened. So why would he say that if he wasn't going to be at school? And if it were a last minute decision, why hadn't he texted me?

    Maybe I was just being overprotective, paranoid. Overstepping my boundaries. Ace was probably busy. Besides, he held no requirement to speak to me each day. We weren't dating and at this point I wasn't even sure if we were talking. Maybe he just needed some space.

    Yeah, he just needed space.

    Unfortunately, he appeared to need a lot of space because the next three days rolled by and still I heard nothing. Neither Ace, Creston, or Holly showed up to school and soon Tommy stopped coming as well. My phone remained silent, no texts confirming their safety or Creston's health.

    When the fourth day came and still no one showed, I started getting really nervous. I sent Lady a quick text, briefly explaining the situation and asking what I should do. She of course told me to go to one of their houses, guns blazing, and demand answers. If Lady were here, she'd follow her own advice.

    But I couldn't just 'demand' answers. I was still an outsider.

    Maybe a slightly more subtle approach would be best. Once school ended on Friday, after spending a whole week by myself at Barren Valley High, I asked grandma to borrow her truck. She agreed only after making me promise that I'd take good care of it though I'm not sure how I could bust it up much more than it already was. Then I asked grandma if she knew where the Lorinson's house was. Visiting Creston was much less aggressive than visiting Ace.

    Or so I thought.

    Grandma scribbled his address onto a piece of paper then sent me on my way. It didn't take long to find Creston's house with the help from my maps app but what did take a long time was mustering up the courage to actually get out of grandma's truck. It was a nice house in a small neighborhood, surrounded by bright flowers and a basketball hoop outfitting the driveway. It looked like any other house.

    But I feared what I might find if I knocked on the door.

    Still, I had come all this way and I couldn't spend another week without knowing what happened to the few people I considered my friends. And despite what my inner voice kept telling me, I wasn't being nosy. I just wanted to make sure Creston was alright.

    Mostly.

    With that thought in mind, I finally got out of the truck and trudged up to the front door. My fist felt extremely heavy as I lifted it to knock. My heart started pounding, my palms began to sweat, and uncertainty resided thickly in my gut. If I was anxious just to knock on the door, I had no idea how I would actually talk to whoever answered.

    But I knocked anyways. At some point in my life, I had to get over this fear of speaking and what better way than to force myself to do it. Practice makes perfect.

    A few moments passed before the door opened, revealing a woman on the other side. She had blonde hair like Creston's, pinned up into a pristine bun, and the same pale eyes. She was tall and lean, dressed in a pair of dark jeans and a nice blouse.

    "Can I help you?" The woman asked, her tone was deeper than I thought it would be.

    My throat closed and my tongue shied, but I reminded myself it would be more embarrassing to not talk than it would be to just say something. Anything.

    "Um ... I am ... a friend." I fumbled out, my hands shaking at my sides. The look on the woman's face told me she was confused and I realized my words hadn't made any sense, "A friend of Creston's."

    Now the woman smiled, nodding lightly, "Oh, of course. I should have known. Ace talks about you all the time, Genevieve right?"

    I nodded, trying to hide the blush in my cheeks, "Um ... are they here?"

    A somber look passed through the woman's eyes, "No actually, they're at Bobby's place. Have you met Bobby, dear?"

    I nodded again.

    "Creston got in an accident over the weekend and has been bedridden. Since my husband and I both work, Creston has been staying with Bobby so Ace can watch over him. Ace has been so good to Creston, taking care of him. It's the sweetest thing, I swear."

    Take another breath, swallow, good. Calm down, just calm down. The hardest part is over.

    "I think I'll go see him." My tone was quiet, terrified. The woman must have noticed because I saw a look of sympathy enter her eyes. I was so sick of that look, but I couldn't complain. I did it to myself by being so ... me.

    "Of course dear. Tell him I will stop by later to check on him." She smiled, then gently closed the door.

    "Okay." I replied to myself, staring into the face of a white wooden door. Then I retreated back to the truck and started off towards Bobby's house. It made sense for them to go there but if Creston was really this bad to need someone 'watching over' him, why didn't they take him to the hospital where the professionals could take care of him?

    I reached Bobby's place ten minutes later and parked next to Ace's truck which was off to the side. I knocked lightly on the door, feeling a little more confidence since I had already met Bobby. But no one ever came to answer the door. Maybe Bobby was out working.

    Without realizing what I was doing, my fingers clasped around the doorknob and twisted it. The next thing I knew, the door was open and I was standing in the kitchen. What had I done? I couldn't just enter someone's house without their permission. But I also couldn't stand on the front porch all night while I waited for Bobby to return.

    The house was relatively silent, except for the quiet murmur of voices I heard coming from the left. As silent as the breeze outside, I slipped through the house towards the sound of voices. This farmhouse was old, I expected the floorboards to creak. But they didn't.

    I reached a door. The voices were coming from the other side.

    Well now what? Do I knock? Do I just walk in?

    No. Ace just walked in and look how that turned out. I let out a shaking breath before lifting my hand to rap my knuckles against the door. My thoughts were wild. I should have brought something for him. Flowers or a card maybe? No. This wasn't a hospital, he was just resting. Maybe I could have brought some bandages, if he was in a truly bad accident he probably needed a lot of them. No, that would just be weird-

    My thoughts were cut short as the door opened, revealing Ace on the other side. His countenance blanked upon seeing me, but that couldn't hide the exhaustion I saw. Heavy bags rested under his eyes which drooped with the need to sleep. His shoulders sagged and his hair was a mess.

    Had he not slept during these past four days?

    "What are you doing here?" He asked flatly.

    That's it? He had nothing else to say to me besides questioning my motives?

    I had to swallow again to find my voice, "I wanted to check on Creston."

    "You shouldn't be here."

    "Well I am." I snapped. Damn, where did that come from? Ace looked as shocked as I did at my outburst. That was the first time I had been so ... sassy to him.

    "Who's at the door?" I heard a feminine voice call from behind Ace's broad shoulders. I should have known, of course Holly would be here. Well, that was fine because I was only here to see Creston. Not Ace or Holly. At least, that's what I thought to myself.

    Before Ace could answered, I slipped under his arm which had previously been blocking my entrance. Holly's entire body stiffened when she saw me. Her long blonde hair was pulled up similarly to Mrs. Lorinson though Holly's bun was much messier. She was dressed in black leggings and a sweatshirt though she somehow made them both look like designer brands.

    "Genevieve, it's good to see you." I heard another voice say happily. I turned towards the left side of the large room and saw someone laying upon a bed which was shoved in the corner. This person loosely resembled Creston but ...

    Ace shut the door behind us, causing my body to jump. I looked away, focusing my gaze on my feet. Creston chuckled from his spot on the bed, "I know I'm no Adam Levine but do I really look that bad?"

    Yes. He did.

    His body was covered in bruises, the dark kind. The black kind. Like the one that had been on Ace's side last week. Creston's eye was purple, just barely recovering from swelling and a deep cut had rendered his lips rough and scabbed. He looked terrible, like nothing I had ever seen before. And there, on his neck ...

    ... four horizontal bruises, approximately the size of someone's fingers. I knew from personal experience, from the night Ace's father ...

    But that meant Creston hadn't been in an automobile accident as I originally thought. This accident, this beating, came from another person.

    This wasn't right. Why would Ace lie to me? Creston hadn't crashed his car into a tree, Ace would have known that. Was this why none of them have been in school? Had Ted's murderer attempted to claim another victim? That meant it couldn't have been Ace right?

    "He's going to be fine." Ace announced, passing me to sit on the bed. His eyes remained on me the whole time, watching me closely. Holly shifted her gaze amongst the group, not necessarily staying on any one person though I know she saw the way Ace stared at me.

    Creston, on the other hand, was entirely chipper, "Damn straight. Just have to rest up and I'll be good as new."

    He's been resting for days. If he still looked this terrible after all that time, I didn't want to know what he looked like during the first day.

    "Are you okay?" I managed to whisper, rooting my feet to the spot so they wouldn't carry my body from this house faster than humanly possible. A headache formed under my skull. First the candles, then Elena's crazy ramblings, and now this? What the hell was going on in this godforsaken town?

    "I'm fine, I promise." Creston informed. He pushed himself up into a sitting position then flipped his legs over the side of the bed. Ace held his hands out, as if Creston would crumble if he moved much more. Creston ignored Ace completely, his grin only broadening, "Sorry to give you such a scare."

    My hand rested over my heart as an uneasy smile fell over my face, "Yeah. I was getting worried."

    "Guess I need to pay more attention. That other car came out of nowhere." Creston joked, scratching at his head.

    Other car?

    I turned towards Ace, my lips now pursed into a tight line, "I thought you said he hit a tree?"

    Creston's eyes widened and Ace's mouth sputtered for an answer. I had caught them in their lie. But that wasn't even the worst part because Holly then tried to salvage their story, "Well you know how it is when it gets dark out. Car, tree, same thing."

    "No. It's not." I said.

    She clamped her mouth shut and turned towards Ace to fix what had happened. But he couldn't. None of them could. They were entitled to their secrets, that was their right. I held my own secrets as well. But lying, to my face, after I had already discovered their lie? Maybe I could understand how Holly and Creston could do that but not Ace. Not after everything we've been through.

    This time, I let my eyes pierced Ace's, "I guess you have lied to me before."

    Ace's face fell. He was on his feet in seconds, standing in front of me with shame bright in his eyes, "This is for your own safety, Genevieve. I know you don't understand and I wish I could tell you but trust me, it's better for everyone this way."

    "Are you in trouble?" I asked him, stepping backwards. He didn't answer, didn't move. That was as good as any 'yes'. So he was in trouble, Creston and Holly were somehow involved, and I was expected to sit on the sidelines and hope for the best? I did that once, no good came from it. If I had stepped in sooner, maybe things would have ended differently all those years ago.

    Holly cleared her throat as she started for the door, "I'm going to get Creston some water." No one responded to her. She let her hands slap against her thighs as she left, gently closing the door behind her.

    Ace still hadn't moved, neither had I.

    "Maybe I should go too." Creston began, easing himself off the bed with a wince.

    But Ace was fast. He turned towards his friend and pushed him back down, softly, "You're not going anywhere. Just lay down and rest."

    While Ace was busy, I took full advantage of the opportunity. Without making so much as a creak in the floorboards, I fled from the room before Ace had time to turn back around. My escape held no malicious intent but I couldn't stand to be in a room with so many liars. I couldn't say I was entirely innocent, I have my secrets. But Ace knew me like the back of my hand, all my panic attacks and harsh memories of our childhood were broad as day when it came to Ace. He knew everything.

    At least all of the important stuff save the candles and footsteps.

    Why couldn't he tell me what was going on? Did he not trust me? That possibility hurt more than the lies. There was a point in time when I placed my life in his hands with total, unquestionable faith. If the time came, could Ace do the same?

    "Where are you going?"

    My gaze landed on Holly who was returning from what looked like the kitchen with a water bottle in her hands. She looked concerned, as though my departure meant something more.

    "I'm leaving." I said quietly, clasping my hands tightly in front of me to keep them from shaking. Not from fear as they normally did, but from frustration. It was quite irritating not being in the loop, especially when the loop involved seemingly dangerous outcomes.

    Holly stepped towards me, "It's really not as bad as you think."

    I stared at her for a long time, watching the way her smile faltered near the corner of her mouth. I may be quiet, but that didn't mean I was dumb. Over the years, my silence has led to a hyperactive sense of observation and right now, my observations were telling me that Holly was lying. But I couldn't accuse her of such things, it just wasn't in my DNA.

    "I don't believe you." I told her, my voice no louder than the drop of a needle.

    The smile on Holly's face vanished, "It's not my place but I think you're overreacting just a tad. If you come back with me, I'm sure Ace tell you whatever you need to know." Key word being need, not want.

    My hands began to shake despite my tight hold on them because for the first time in my entire life, I was about to tell someone off. Holly may have desired to be friends but after this, I wasn't sure I could trust her or any of them for that matter. I came back to Barren Valley because I lost two of the most important people in my life. I didn't want to lose anymore. So if that meant keeping my distance from the man who has haunted my every thought for the past decade, then so be it.

    So yeah, I was going to tell Holly right where she could shove her little suggestion ...

    ... I'm going to tell her to shove it up her ass for those of you who didn't catch on. As you may have guessed, I don't do this often. Or ever.

    I swallowed to clear the saliva coating my throat. Then I opened my mouth with a few colorful words prepared to explode from my overzealous imagination. But as the first indicators of sound emerged from my mouth, someone spoke over me.

    "Well hello ladies."

    It was a deep voice, much too deep to belong to Ace or Creston, and far too youthful to belong to Bobby. Holly and I both turned to see two men standing just in front of us. My heart tripped over itself then pounded wildly within my chest. A wave of sheer ice washed through my like a tidal wave. My instincts were kicking in and whenever I got this feeling, trouble was bound to follow.

    The man closest to us had dark hair and dark eyes with a long scar running diagonally across his tanned face. He was taller than me, and lanky, with a diamond stud piercing his ear. The second man had light brown hair and skin almost paler than mine though his upper cheek was darkened by a healing bruise. They both were dressed in casual suits that looked out of place in Bobby's old farm house.

    Holly stumbled backwards, the water bottle slipping from her grasp and cluttering to the floor as a look of horror captured her face, "What are you doing here?"

    The scarred man shrugged lightly and cracked a grin, "We wanted to check on Creston, make sure we didn't hurt him too badly. It's all fun and games, after all."

    Hurt him too badly? These men were responsible for cuts and bruises marking Creston's body? I guess that explained the bruise on the second guy, that meant Creston fought back right?

    "Who is this charming little thing?" The second man asked, his wicked eyes sweeping me over twice before returning to my face. A chill ate at my spine but I refused tremble under the weight of his stare. Suddenly, Holly's hand was gripping my wrist and she pulled me behind her.

    "No one. She was just leaving." Holly rushed out, blocking my view of the men and vice versa. Standing so close to Holly, I felt her body shake. She was scared, petrified even. Were these men really that dangerous? Should I be running for my life?

    The scarred man approached us slowly, an oddly calm smirk tugging at his lips. When he was close enough, he lifted a hand to Holly's cheek, brushing his fingers against her skin. She closed her eyes, turning away from him with a grimace on her face. The man dampened his lips, "How about we go have a chat with your boyfriend?"

    A second passed, then another.

    Holly nodded, her feet shakily carrying her towards the room while the man firmly held her bicep. Before I could react, I felt a set of fingers curl around my upper arm as well. My eyes met those of the bruised man, a dark smile dressing his features. He gave a quick nod down the hall then forced me to step forward. I had no choice but to follow.

    My heart hammered away in my chest and short breaths met my lungs. My body was reacting to the overwhelming fear boiling in my stomach. If I didn't calm myself down, I was going to pass out. But deep breaths were practically impossible and the heat in my stomach burned through my chest, past my neck, and scorched my face.

    Bad things were about to happen.

    Holly pushed the door open, her fingers quaking as she pressed them against the wood, "Guys ... we have company."

    The scarred man and Holly entered first, followed by myself and the man beside me. Creston still sat on the bed with Ace standing over him, but neither of them appeared injured or tired in any way. Their muscles were tight, their faces were hard, and their fists were clenched. As if they were ready for a fight.

    "Good afternoon gentlemen." The scarred man spoke, his hold on Holly still firm.

    Ace's gaze shifted back and forth between Holly and I, his eyes focusing on the way these men held our arms. Eventually, he cleared his throat and spoke cautiously, "Good afternoon, Roman. I see you let yourselves in."

    The man beside me laughed, causing my body to jump in fright, "The door was open."

    "I doubt that." Ace replied in a tone sickly sweet. His eyes turned dark then he gave a quick nod, "You're healing quickly I presume, Vic?"

    The man beside me sighed audibly, "As you can imagine, I don't enjoy wearing your handiwork in such a noticeable spot but I guess I'll let this one slide under the circumstances."

    Handiwork? Ace was accountable for the bruise on this man's face, Vic I think his name was?

    Ace snickered, "Are you expecting a thank you?"

    "I'm expecting a little gratitude. You know the penalty for striking a Lord, I'm letting you off easy." Vic hissed back, his grip on my arm tightening. I shied away from him, feeling that cold terror drowning me as it has so many times before. My panic attack was fast approaching with no hopes of slowing it.

    Ace's glare hardened further when he saw how tightly Vic's fingers wrapped around my arm. A quick glanced proved that my skin was turning white due to lack of blood flow. There would no doubt be bruises tomorrow if Vic didn't let go soon.

    The man Ace called Roman let out a quick laugh, "Oh Ace, you know better than to mess with Vic's temperament. You're lucky your a legacy or you'd look just like your friend."

    In a heartbeat, Ace had stepped sideways, placing himself directly between Creston and the two men facing them, "Why are you here?"

    Roman stuck a hand in his pocket, he didn't seem at all concerned with this gathering, "We wanted to make sure Creston wasn't dead. Past actions prove that we sometimes get carried away and yet another death in this backwater hell hole would only cause trouble for us. The last one nearly got us a beating of our own."

    The last one? Ted's death? Were Vic and Roman involved? I didn't know whether that made things better or worse for Ace, or me for that matter.

    "Well I'm very much alive." Creston stated, tossing a glare towards both the men, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

    Ace nodded, "I agree."

    "But we came all this way." Vic feigned his discontent, unable to hide the desire for blood which shone in his eyes.

    "I'd offer to pay for the wasted gas, but I don't really care." Ace tossed back, unafraid.

    Roman and Vic exchanged looks, neither one bothered by their unarguable invitation to leave. I felt a body move closer to mine as Vic neared, his other hand sliding up my arm until it grasped at my shoulder, "Are we permitted a gift?"

    "Maybe two?" Roman questioned, now draping his arm over Holly's shoulders. Were they referring to us ... as gifts?

    Oh shit. Here it comes, my panic attack, locked and loaded with all the force of a great typhoon. If only I had Mulan's skills because she'd be able to fight her way out of this one. But I couldn't, I didn't have the strength or skills to get past Vic. Maybe Ace was right, maybe it would have been better just to stay out of it.

    Too late now.

    "You want a gift? Sure. I have a bloody crowbar out back with your names on it." Ace answered through clenched teeth, his broad shoulders tightening once more as a feral look entered his eyes. He was prepared to kick ass. I was prepared to lay down and die. It was a win-win situation for everyone.

    Roman sighed loudly, brushing his hand down Holly's face once more. He clicked his tongue several times, "What a shame. I was really looking forward to spending a little quality time with Ace's girl. However ... maybe I have the wrong one, eh Vic?"

    "For sure, Roman. The poor guy hasn't taken his eyes off her since we walked in." Vic chuckled behind my ear, the deep sound rolling from his chest like a distant call of thunder. I closed my eyes again, trying to convince my mind that none of this was happening. Were they talking about me, that Ace was staring at me?

    My eyes wandered towards where Ace was standing and sure enough, our gazes met. He looked pissed beyond all comparison but somehow, his stare softened when it met mine. How did he manage to install fear and comfort all at once?

    "Guess we'll have to wait for another time." Roman said huskily, running his fingers along Holly's collarbone. But her attention wasn't focused on the perverted man beside her. No, Holly's eyes were trailed on Ace, bathed in confusion and ...

    ... hurt.

    Roman stepped back, sliding his other hand into his pocket as well. He tipped his head towards Ace, "Always a pleasure, kid. Maybe next time it'll be you we get to play with. Until then I suppose. Let's go, Vic."

    With a jerk of his head, Roman exited the room. Vic lingered a moment longer, his body pressed just as tightly against mine as before. I felt him bury his face into the crook of my shoulder, breathing me in deeply as he smelled my hair, "I can't wait to run into you again, little one. The things I'd do, if only."

    He laughed once more then followed after his friend, leaving the rest of us in a crushing silence.

    Those last words Vic spoke, the things I'd do ... they were the same as the ones from my nightmare of Ace's father. I remembered those words so clearly, the way they clawed into my brain and branded themselves against my memory as if they were tattoos. Such evil words spoken by such ghastly men.

    That was the last straw.

    My heart skipped several times in my chest as the corners of my vision went black. A single breath escaped me before I felt my body tumbling forward. I expected to hit the floor and hit it hard. But I never did.

    Footsteps neared, strong arms caught me and snatched me into a tight embrace. A warm embrace. The smell of musky earth met my nose, a cologne I had long since memorized. A voice reached my ears, one that called my name almost frantically.

    But the darkness was too inviting, and soon it swallowed me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the slow pace of the book but I don't want this story to be simply blood and death ... not yet anyways ;)

Let me know your thoughts! Vote, comment, and follow please!

Thanks again!

xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 38 5
SCARLET WRIGHT is a hopeless romantic who's had her heart broken in every relationship she's ever been in. After catching her most recent boyfriend i...
70.1K 2.3K 51
#BOOK1 in 'ACE' SERIES He was like storm. He liked silence. He had looks which could kill. He is cold , ruthless and arrogant as hell. He h...
27.6K 927 47
This story sucks, don't read it! It's amazing how quickly your life can change. In a slow town like this, where nothing exciting ever happens, wher...
1.7K 74 12
Ranked #4 on 15th August 2017 This paranormal crime thriller has been published by Flugel Publishing House and available as Paperback as well as Eboo...