Stained Red (on hold)

By LindseyRay

Skylar is a 16 year old girl who inherits' a bunch of items after her Great Aunt Tilly's death. The strange t... More

Preface
2. New Items
3. Blood with Tears
4. New Home
5. Awakening
6. Back to Reality
7. Take Me Back

1. The Inn

301 32 50
By LindseyRay

Hey guys, so this is my first story, and I'm so excited to see how it will turn out! thanks to everyone who has already fanned me! The pic is of the Moonstone Beach! soo... drop a comment, vote, and tell me what you think!

A huge thanks to Mossman who took my challenge and discovered errors in my story!! I really appreciate it!! :)

__________________________________________

"Skylar? Where are you?" My mom yelled from somewhere in the front yard. "We have to go! Now!" Her voice was full of stress and unwillingness.

"I'm coming!" I yelled out my balcony window, which was directed to the front yard. I saw my mom slowly walking towards the silver Jeep, with a bunch of flattened packing boxes. I sighed, and ran my way past my room, down the beige stairs, and crashed through the front door.

"I think that's a new record!" I called out to her. I smiled and quickly jogged over to help load the boxes.

"Quit messing around, and help me out kid!" My mom said sarcastically. "Let's go! We don't want to be late to load up Great Aunt Tilly's old junk!"

Aunt Tilly is somehow related to me by my moms second cousin, three times removed. Something or other like that. Apparently she passed away two weeks ago, by 'falling down her stairs'. That's what we were told so, might as well just shut up and deal with the baggage.

"You might be able to keep some of her stuff if you want. Since no one else even wants to bother to clean up her house." My mom said. Her mahogany hair was tied back today, showing of her stunning forest green eyes and her soft red cheeks.

I shrugged and hopped into the front seat. I sat there waiting for her to get in and start the car. I pulled down the sun visor and flipped open the latch to the mirror. I studied my facial features, and tried to compare my self to my mom and dad, with the types of genes I got from them. I got my narrow nose from my mom, my blue-gray eyes from my dad, but the almond shape from my mom. I also inherited my dads skin type, in the case, isn't the best thing, seeming how he always has dry skin. Sadly, I have my own feature which is fair skin; so I burn to easily in the sun. It's weird living in a sunny state, and being pale.

Then I focused on the shape of my face, which was a smoothed out heart. My jet-black hair was loosely pulled up into a bun, and it made my faint pink scar on my right cheek bone, stick out a little more then I liked. Long story short, when I was little, I accidentaly stood to close where there was hot oil boiling so, you can pretty much imagine what happened from there. But it didn't look like it was a splattered spot a centimeter long. It somehow had more of a crescent shape to it.

"Admiring yourself, again Sky?" My mom teased.

"Oh Deloris. Of course I am. You know I can't live without a mirror close by me at all times!" I said dramatically. She smiled and rolled her eyes.

She gently punched my arm and said, "Don't call me by my first name child!" She twisted the keys in the ignition and the jeep roared to life. I got butterflies in my stomach every time I thought that one day it would be mine.

*****

After an agonizing seven hour drive from my hometown, Layton to Cambria, California, it felt good to get out and get some fresh air. The hotel we checked into wasn't five star, or anything close to it. From the outside, it looked like a small, humble inn. But on the inside, the faded yellow walls looked almost as bad as the rat droppings in every corner of the place. The smell of beer and cigarets was heavy, and the whole place itself was unwelcoming. The only plus I could think was that, Moon Stone Beach Park, was only ten minutes away by car.

"I made a reservation yesterday. It's under Austins,'" My mom said sweetly. The lady behind the desk had coarse, ratty bleach blond hair that wrapped around the back of her neck and fell down a few inches past her shoulder. Her foundation looked like she applied it with a spoon, and her eye make-up was old and crusted back. Her lips were thin, but they were hard to ignore because of the scarlet lipstick that went past her lip line more than necessary. I won't even get started on how bad her tan didn't fit her natural skin color.

"You're here for Tilly, aren't you? Poor thing. A little to crazy to handle sometimes huh?" The lady chuckled than sighed. Her voice was a little raspy, and her teeth were a tint of light yellow. Probably from smoking too much. "Yeah, you're room 12. Let me get your key and your signature, and the room is yours for five days."

"Alrighty," my mom grabbed the check-in notebook and pulled a chewed up pen out of a tin can full of used up pens. She quickly signed her name and thanked 'Lucinda'. That's what it said on her light blue, skimpy outfit she was wearing.

"Just give me a holler if there's anything you need." Lucinda seemed to force a big smile, revealing more of the inside of her yellowish teeth than I liked.

I turned to grab my bags, and followed my mom through the hallway to the right of the managing desk. Once we were inside, the first thing I wanted to do was hop on the suites bed. But the room didn't seem as friendly as I hoped, so I just had to settle for unpacking first.

Unlike my mom, who pushed past me and dive-bombed for the bed.

"I believe I can fly!" She sang out before she hit the bed. She landed with a grunt and then said, "What the heck is in this thing?"

I chuckled and said, "Mom, there's probably a family of mice living in there!"

She grimaced and then pulled her luggage up on the bed. "Which bed do you want bud?"

The one she rested her luggage on was closer to the front door. The second bed was pushed against the other side of the wall, where a small, dingy window was. "I'll take the window bed."

After we had finally settled in, and cleaned up after the dead roaches we found laying in corners of the room, we had discussed going to the beach. But before we could do anything my mom yelled out from the small hallway, "This bathroom door isn't worth the crap we payed for this place!"

"Is it jammed?" I asked peering down the 8 foot long, 3 foot wide space.

"It won't close!" I heard a small grunt and then it shook harder than it should've. The room rocked a little, making the ceiling crack open slightly more than it already was. It seemed like it was snowing dust for a few seconds, which made me grimace.

The whole place was a mess. Not literally, but hypothetically. The carpet had random stains it is from who-knows-where and the walls had vertical green and off-white stripes that seemed like they belonged to a fifties bathroom. The beds had almost the same look, but the stripes were vertical. There was an old lamp that didn't have a lampshade on it, and it's neck was bent slightly to the left.

"Ready?" my mom appeared out in front of the hall in her brown and black floral bikini, with black shorts on.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I answered. While she changed in the bathroom, I quickly took the opportunity to slip on my swimsuit as well. Her look made me do a double-take. "Is something wrong?"

"When did you get that bikini?" Her face was composed but her eyes held curiosity.

"Oh... Umm.." I tried not to blush when I said, "With Danny. Remember how I went shopping with him two weeks ago? I got it from Kohl's. Cute, huh? May thought it was 'very attractive'" I tried distracting her, by sounding like my little sister. Daniel, A.K.A Danny, was my boyfriend. We had been going out for three months now and my parents weren't to thrilled about the idea.

She sighed and decided to take the bait. "Yes, it looks cute. The darker blue brings out your eyes," she sighed, like she was being forced to give me a compliment.

We both smiled and walked out of our small, smelly suite. In the main lobby, there were a few tough looking bikers that kept looking over my mom and I. One of them whistled and the other cat called us. My mom turned around, when we were by the front door, smiled at the guys, and flipped them off. One looked a little taken back, and the other looked irritated. So with that, my mom grabbed my arm, and rushed through the front door out of the parking lot.

I couldn't help the fit of giggles that came spilling out when we reached the end of the street. "They totally deserved that mom!"

Deloris just grinned and said, "Hopefully they'll be gone when we go back to that trashy place."

I wish we could have gotten a better hotel. 'Susys' Stay Inn' didn't sound terrible, but it was the only place we could afford. Especially since the folks were getting divorced in a couple months. Jeffery, A.K.A my dad, was taking more than half of his share. I don't even quite remember why they were splitting up. I looked up to my parents strong relationship when Danny first asked me out. Now it's just turned into turmoil.

As if she could read my mind, my mom turned and hugged me. "I'm sorry. I really wish things would change things. I'm so sorry." Her voice broke on the word. My mom is only a couple inches taller than me, but it stilled surprised me when I felt tears running downing my temple from my mom.

We stood there for a moment, as cars passed by quickly, whisking our hair from side to side. Deloris sighed and slipped her hand in mine. She looked at me with her eyes gorgeous forest eyes that had light read brimmed around the corners.

"Come on mom." I said, "Man up. Suck it up." I gave her a small smile.

She chuckled, wiped her tears away with her free hand, and we crossed the street when the light turned red. The beach was only five minute walk away now. Next thing I knew, my mom took her hand out of mine, shoved me over and yelled, "Race you!"

We took off running, and I felt the small smile widen into a grin. When we got there, all we did was play in the ocean, and build sculptures in the sand. Which sounds weird for a sixteen year old, and a thirty-four year old to do. But it's what we did ten years ago, and we weren't going to stop now.

*****

After spending five hours at the beach, it was seven o'clock. That's when we decided to get some pizza. When we were done stuffing ourselves with cheese filled crusts, and the five layered meat pizza, we checked back into the hotel.

Luckily, the thugs were gone, so we quickly slipped into our room. The light that came through my dingy window, was starting to dim quickly. Lucky enough for me, my mom was taking a shower first, so she would have enough time to clean out the filth that was left over from the last people who were here.

"You're lucky I love you so much little girl." My mom stuck her tongue out at me, then quickly winked at me. My mom is pretty awesome, according to me and all of my friends who have met her. She acts like a kid, mainly because it's instinct with an eight year old in the house. (My little sister May. Who takes after all of my moms beautiful genes.) But, I think it's mainly because she doesn't like the idea of me growing up, and maturing.

I was surprised to see the bathroom clean. I had been occupied by the TV for at least a good half hour, but I didn't think in a place this gross, it would be this clean. I had to turn the knob on the shower more than expected to get hot water, but I wasn't complaining about it.

When I was done, I slipped into my pajamas, and crawled into bed. Tomorrow we would start cleaning out Tilly's house. Till then, I prayed that my dreams wouldn't be filled with too much death.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~----------------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~--------------------------------------

Okay, so i know it's not that interesting so far. But I'm totally going to work on this story! I really hope that the Preface caught your attention!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

614 60 15
Skylar Winters is a sixteen year old female in high school. She's preparing for her life ahead, but there's so many things around her that's happenin...
743 66 22
**COMPLETED** Skylar is a normal 17 year old. Well she was, before her brother Kyle, her two friends Grayson and Nikki and her had came across the w...
6.1K 301 65
In a world where reality is farfetched and uncanniness might just be the new norm, 17 year old Cali's life is mysteriously turned upside down by a si...
Mysterious Killer By Dez

Mystery / Thriller

67 0 19
16 year old Skylar Johnson is a somewhat normal teenager. When she wakes up to a loud noise her life suddenly takes a turn for the worst. She finds h...