Once Upon A Dream (Thranduil...

By Icelandrose08

(Completed!) When Asgard sends its princess to Middle-Earth, Odin doesn't believe that she will remember anyt... More

Prologue
Part 1- Chapter 1-The Royalty of Asgard
Chapter 2-Middle Earth
Chapter 3-Home Away From Home
Chapter 4-Royalty of Middle Earth
Chapter 5-Mirkwood Patrol
Chapter 6-Loki's Little Sister
Chapter 7-Treacherous Waters
Chapter 8-Black Apologies
Chapter 9-Blue Winter
Chapter 10-Different but The Same
Chapter 11-Letters to Asgard
Chapter 12-Spiders and Songs of Thanks
Chapter 13-Elven Afternoon Tea
Chapter 14-A Mother Never Forgets
Chapter 15-Valadhiel, Queen of Mirkwood
Chapter 16-The Falling and the Flying
Chapter 17-The Dance of the Elven People
Chapter 18-The Last Year
Chapter 19-Return to Asgard
Chapter 20-Dancing with Kings and Troubles with Princes
Chapter 22-Namaarie
Part 2- Chapter 23-The 'Little Pair'
Chapter 24-I Swear
Chapter 25-To Jotunheim
Chapter 26-As the World Falls Down
Chapter 27- Bloody Sunday
Chapter 28- In Between Dreams
Chapter 29- Will Power
Chapter 30- Tales of Times Past
Chapter 31- You're Not the Only One
Chapter 32- Awakening Love
Chapter 33- Passion and Aggression
Chapter 34- Of Myths and Lies
Chapter 35- Family Sins
Chapter 36- Where Hope Waits

Chapter 21-The Asgardian Games

1.2K 49 4
By Icelandrose08

The next morning Catalina woke up in her own bed in her own room in Asgard. She stretched inside the large mattress and hugged her enormous silk sheets and fur blanket.

"Good morning Princess," a maid came in and opened the big purple curtains.

Catalina yawned and slipped out of bed. She bathed and dressed and headed for the dining hall, where her family and the rest of the royals were gathering.
She sat down next to Loki.

"Good morning brother."

"Good morning Sister."

"Are the Vanir still here?"

"Indeed, they leave tomorrow with the elves."

"Asbjorn?"

"Over there," Loki flicked his eyes in the direction of the table on the far right. "He looks pretty bad. You did a great job."

Balder leaned over next to his sister.

"He proposes a fight between us and his brothers. If he wins, he marries you. If we win, we keep you."

"Did Father agree to it?"

"Yes. The good thing is though, we can have some help. Asbjorn has six brothers. Father suggested we have some of the elven warriors join us."

"Am I allowed fight too?"

"Yes you are," Balder smiled and ruffled Catalina's hair.

After breakfast, Catalina approached Legolas and Feren.

"Would it be alright if you joined us?"

"With pleasure Princess," Legolas replied, and Feren nodded.

"You should also ask the king, he is a well trained fighter. Ask him," Feren gave her a reassuring smile and gently pointed her in the elven king's direction.

"Um, my lord," Catalina bowed to the elven king.

"Good morning my lady, what can I do for you?" King Thranduil smiled at the princess.

"It might be a lot to ask, but I was just wondering if you would help us today with," she pointed in the direction of the Vanir princes. "If you could help us with them."

The king frowned, but nodded.
"I'd be glad to help you my lady."

"Thank you my lord," Catalina bowed once more then turned to find Balder.
"They said they would help."

"Good. Now get ready, we're going to put on a show for them."

Not a half-hour later, the Asgardian arena was packed with people, all waiting for the games to begin.
Catalina stood infront of her mirror tightening her sword belt.

My first day back and this happens. Just great.

She met her team in the hallway. Her brothers wore their familiar armor and helmets. Thranduil wore silver and black armor with elven designs, and Legolas and Feren wore their traditional elven guardian armor. They were stunning, and Catalina believed fully in their abilities, although she had never seen the elven king himself ever fight.

"Now, what is our strategy Brother?" Catalina put her head together with Loki's.

"I have arranged so that you and I shall occupy the front line, then the elves, then Thor and Balder."

"We're actually fighting?"

"At the end, but before there are a series of games," he whispered.

"Which ones?"

"Well, I believe I heard jousting, a chariot race, archery, hammer throwing, wrestling, then of course the gladiatorial combat."

"Great, we're winning already," Catalina grinned and rubbed her hands together, and Loki kissed her nose.

The teams entered the arena, and cheers erupted in the enormous bowl shaped pavilion. Odin sat on a throne at the front next to Frigga as they watched the two teams come into sight.

Catalina grinned and gave Asbjorn an evil look.

"Let the games commence!" Frigga shouted, and the Asgardian arena cheered.

"I have never seen an arena this big," Legolas stare up at the collosal walls.

"Don't worry kid, you'll get used to it," Balder gave the elven prince a rough pat on the shoulder.

"The first competition is Jousting! Teams, choose your steeds!"

A long line of large horses were brought to the middle and Catalina headed straight for her horse Colborn.
Once the teams had chosen their horses, they were given long lances and shields.

"The aim of this competition is to be the last man standing. Teams will ride until all others have fallen."

A short horn blast was blown and the teams held their lances aloft. When a second horn blew, the horses galloped to the other side, bringing the two opposing teams together.

Catalina saw Thor go down within the first five minutes, and Feren go down within ten. Legolas was struggling to stay on his horse as a Vanir tried striking him. Catalina charged the Vanir and swung her lance against his chest, knocking him to the ground. She then reached for Legolas and tugged him back into his saddle with some difficulty.

"Catalina, we have lost two, and they four. It looks to me like we might-"

"Don't say it!" Catalina ducked a lance.
Asbjorn suddenly spurred his horse in her direction and hit her horse in the side. Catalina gasped and jabbed him, but he did not fall. His horse pushed against her, trapping Catalina's stirrup between them. He went toward her with his lance. The princess gulped and made a quick glance at the ground rushing under her. She then dropped her lance and slid onto the side of the horse and held on for dear life as her hands gripped the horse's neck and her legs held to its side. She saw the lance over her, but it disappeared as her horse came to a sudden stop, nearly throwing her. A hand then gripped her side and lifted her onto the horse's back once again.

"Keep going Princess," the elven king nodded to her and kept riding. She looked behind her and saw Asbjorn lying on the ground. She smiled and rode off.

"Asgard has won this round!" Frigga announced and the stadium roared.

"It is time for the next event: Chariot Racing!"

How is this going to work? Our teams are not even."

"One of you chariots will have to carry an extra person, but it is expected to reach the finish line first. If it fails to accomplish this, your team will automatically lose the round."

"Catalina, Legolas, and Feren, you three are the lightest."

The three warriors mounted the chariot and Catalina took hold of the reigns.

On the opposing team Catalina observed Asbjorn's three younger brothers standing in the chariot. Although they were younger, they still weighed as much as Thor each, and none of them were very talented horsemen; more advantages.

The chariot race, hammer throwing, and archery went smoothly for Catalina. Each competition made her confidence and pride swell for her brothers and friends, and she felt strongly that they would win.

Yet there were two more games to be had, and Catalina wondered how the wrestling matches would pan out. Weapons were not permitted, and neither was armor. She began to fear for the elves; she did not know how well they did without weapons. Yet her fears were laid to rest with Feren's quick and skillful finish with one of the Vanir princes, and so followed Legolas's and Thranduil's fights: all quick and skilled.

"I wouldn't even call that wresting; it looked similar to a type of ballet," Catalina whispered to Legolas after his fight.

"That's the elven way. I've seen you do something like it too. I'm sure you'll do wonderfully." The two royals grimaced as the elven king made a move that planted a Vanir prince's face in the ground, and kept him there.

"Asgard has won this round!"

The last event to commence was the Gladiatorial Combat. For this, the warriors were given their armor, and none of their weapons were pointed; only Thor was allowed to use his hammer.

"This is the last round! Vanaheim has a chance to redeem itself if it wins this round. They must not lose more than three people, and they must bring down Princess Catalina."
Catalina gulped, and began inching her way to the back of the group. Being the primary target of a battle was never good.

The horn blew and the Vanir charged her, but her brothers and the elves formed a a circle around her. But the Vanir only lost one man. Catalina frowned and ducked as an arm struck out at her. She teleported to an empty spot in the arena, but was immediately grabbed by Asbjorn and thrown to the ground. She staggered and scrambled to her feet, dodging his blows and rolling away from his kicks.

"You snake, get up and fight like a warrior!" He kicked Catalina in the side and she shrieked.
She stumbled to her feet and dodged his fist. She bit her lip and grabbed a broken spear handle and jabbed him in the stomach.

Stop acting like a girl, get it together!

When Asbjorn grabbed the handle, she yanked him forward and punched him him the jaw. He stumbled backward and rubbed his jaw, but gritted his teeth and swung at her again.

The arena had become quiet accept for the princess and Vanir prince. Everyone watched on the edge of their seats, straining to see what would happen.

Asbjorn grabbed Catalina by the wrists, and she bit him. She threw up her legs and hit his chest and back-flipped off of him. With a sweeping of her leg she floored him but he stood up again and punched her in the face. He refused to let her win.

So on the brawl went, both warriors exhausted and bloody, when Catalina decided it was over. She jumped on him and grabbed his head and brought it down onto her knee, knocking him unconscious. He fell to the floor, his face bruised and bloody.
Catalina wiped blood from the corner of her mouth, everything silent.
Suddenly the arena came to life, and the crowd applauded and cheered wildly.

Her brothers and the elves ran to her, and Thor picked her up and spun her around.

"You won Sister!" He kissed her cheek and smiled as she grimaced and wiped it off.

"Asgard has won the games! Princess Catalina will stay!"

"Let's get you cleaned up; you look filthy," Loki smiled as he wiped strands of hair from his sister's face.
As she left, Catalina looked back at the three elves. Her eyes rested on King Thranduil, and a memory flashed before her; the same one as last night.
She quickly turned away and followed Loki, wishing to not see anymore visions.

When she had cleaned up her face and gotten the blood out of her hair she felt proud and relieved. Relieved that she would not be marrying any princes, and proud to be a strong warrior. She felt unstoppable.

Whatever doesn't kill me, had better start running.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 65 15
(This is a Loki fanfiction, set in the time frame of Thor: The Dark World.) Elspeth Montgomery is an Asgardian from a poor family. She's very shy and...
25.2K 864 34
(Loki X Reader) [COMPLETED] y/n, princess of Etiof, arrives on Asgard as a child after escaping from her kingdom, helped by one of her mother's ladie...
60.2K 2.1K 26
Light Elves are pure, innocent beings, right? Wrong. Or, at least, not in Y/n's case. Much like Loki, she was born to be the Princess of Alfheim, but...
20.8K 932 27
In a world full of magic and myths, there is a realm called Asgard where the gods and goddesses lived. Aeria, as the only survivor of her realm's des...