Last To Know

By micaleasmeltzer

He was just a boy. And I was just a girl. But if that's all there was to the story it wouldn't be very intere... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
Epilogue

16

195 12 0
By micaleasmeltzer

Maddox: I have to go out of town for a few days.

The text message flashed on the screen of my phone. I currently sat on my bed with a book in my lap, the afternoon sunlight streaming in through the open blinds.

Emma: Did something bad happen? I couldn't stop myself from asking.

Maddox: No. Nothing like that. I'll be back in two days...tomorrow evening if I'm lucky.

Emma: I'll see you soon then.

Maddox: I'll miss you.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going to miss him too, but he wasn't my whole life. Besides, this was a good thing. Sadie had been bitching at me the last few days for not hanging out with her. I couldn't blame her for being irritated with me, and I felt bad for blowing her off. Things had been so new and exciting with Maddox that I'd started neglecting my best friend.

After telling Maddox I'd miss him too I sent a text to Sadie, asking if that girl's day she'd talked about was still open. She was quick to reply.

Sadie: How about you come over tonight? Sleepover? Pizza? And then we can go shopping tomorrow.

Emma: Sounds good.

***

"He is so hot," Sadie sighed dreamily, drooling over the half-naked guy on her TV. I think he was supposed to be a werewolf or something. I wasn't sure, since I didn't watch much TV. Shows made me bored for some reason, which was why I stuck to music and books. "Don't you think he's hot?" She asked me.

"Sure," I agreed. I was currently too busy devouring a slice of pizza to check out the guy.

"Ugh, you're no fun," she groaned, pushing my shoulder in jest.

I smiled. "Hey, look at it this way, at least we don't have to fight over who gets him."

"Bitch, he's mine," she narrowed her eyes, fighting a smile. "You know how those dark-haired, dark-eyed boys make me."

I giggled. "Yeah, they make you throw your underwear across the room."

She rolled onto her back laughing. "It's true." Sobering, she said, "I'm putting myself on a strict no dating policy for senior year."

I snorted.

"What?" Her eyes widened. "You don't think I can do it?"

"Nope."

"I'm going to prove you wrong." She jutted out her chin defiantly.

"You'll last a day," I grinned, taking another bite of pizza.

"You have such little faith in me," she shook her head. "You're my best friend, you should be cheering me on."

"I think you have some pom poms in your closet if you need me to cheer," I joked. Sobering, I added, "Seriously, I think it's good for you to focus on something other than boys for a change."

She reached for a slice of pizza. "I don't want to be that girl anymore. You know," she shrugged, "the slut."

I rolled my eyes. "You're not a slut, Sadie." I knew for a fact that she'd only had sex with one guy. She might've been provocative, but she didn't jump into bed with every guy she batted her eyes at.

"That's not what the people at school think," she sighed. "I want to show people, and myself, that I can stand on my own two feet and do something for me. No, not just that," she frowned. "I want to prove that I can be someone."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

She shrugged and dropped pizza crust into the box. Rolling onto her back she stared up at the fan as it went around and around. "This is senior year, Emma. Then it's the real world. It's scary. I have to figure out what the hell I'm going to do with my life."

"I'm in the same boat, you know," I told her.

"I know."

"So," I ventured to ask, "what do you think you're going to do after we graduate?" Wasn't that the million-dollar question?

"I don't know," tears pricked her eyes, "and that scares the shit out of me. I need a plan, and I don't have one beyond buckling down."

"Well," I smiled, hoping the gesture offered her a small amount of reassurance, "at least that's a start."

"Enough serious talk," she dabbed at the moisture pooling beneath her eyes, "I'm missing my show."

I laughed gathering up our trash into a small smile.

One of the things I loved most about Sadie was that one-minute we could discuss something serious, and the next she could make me laugh.

I tried to pay attention to the show, but I honestly had no idea what was going on. All I knew was there were a lot of half-naked guys on it—and that was clearly why it appealed to Sadie.

"I hope you're ready for a long day of shopping," Sadie warned, as I fixed to go to sleep in the pull out trundle. Her parents had insisted on having one, since Sadie and I had many sleepovers over the years.

"Ugh," I groaned. "Shopping."

"Hey," she pouted, "brighten up that attitude and maybe I'll suck it up and let you browse through the flea market for a little while."

"You have yourself a deal."

***

"I'm pretty sure my sweat is sweating," Sadie complained, pulling her long brown hair off her neck and fanning herself.

"Don't be dramatic," I warned her, focusing on the jewelry stand I was browsing.

"I think I'm going to die," she panted.

I pulled a bottle of water out of my purse and handed it to her. "Here, drink this."

She took it and chugged it down greedily. "Why does it have to be so hot?" She whined.

I turned and glared at her. "I spent five hours at the mall with you, and we've only been here thirty minutes. Stop bitching."

She frowned. "How are you not hot?"

"I am hot," I told her, "but I'm not complaining."

"Fine," she relented, "I'll keep my mouth shut."

Something told me I'd be lucky if she was quiet for five minutes.

I browsed through a few more of the stands, picking up a few necklaces, a cardigan, a pair of worn chestnut colored cowboy boots, and a handmade metal drummer and drum set made out of nuts, bolts, and other odds and ends. I just couldn't resist getting it for Maddox. I was lucky that when I found it Sadie had abandoned me to go sit underneath a shaded tree.

"I'm done," I called as I approached her.

"Thank God," she wiped sweat from her brow. "Can we get some dinner now? I need a cool place to lay down and a table sounds like it would be pretty perfect."

I snickered. "Whatever you want."

I waited a moment for her to get up, but she didn't move. "I think I've lost the function of my legs." Pouting her glossed pink lips, she poked one of her legs. "Move," she demanded. Looking up at me, she said, "They're not moving."

"Such a baby," I laughed, reaching out a hand to haul her up.

"I hate this heat," she whined. "And my hair keeps frizzing." She reached up to bat it away.

I shook my head, walking back to the parking lot.

I put my bag in the trunk—trying not to laugh at the other fifty bags that belonged to Sadie.

"Where do you want to eat?" She asked, cranking up the AC.

"Wherever you want. I honestly don't care."

"TGI Friday's it is, then," she chirped. "I want some of those green bean things so I can trick myself into thinking I'm eating healthy."

I snorted. "Sounds like a plan."

By the time we got there the restaurant was packed and we ended up having to wait thirty minutes to be seated.

When we were finally seated at a booth in the back I was ready to go to bed. Shopping was exhausting.

Sadie seemed to agree since she immediately flopped her head on the table and groaned. "My feet hurt."

"You shouldn't have worn those shoes." I wiggled my own toes, encased in a pair of comfy converse.

"Uh, you're right." She sat up, propping her head in her hand. "I would take these off right now if I didn't think I might kill everyone in a five foot radius with the smell of my feet."

I laughed as I pictured the people around us falling to the floor from the fumes. "Yeah, you better leave them on."

The waitress came by for our drink order and before she left Sadie demanded her green bean appetizer thing. It didn't sound that good to me, but she swore it was the greatest thing ever.

"We haven't talked about lover boy in a while," she mused, looking down at her nails, trying to pretend that she wasn't curious.

"There's nothing to talk about," I shrugged. Since I hadn't been able to bring Maddox to the barbeque I'd decided it was fate intervening and saying that I needed to keep him to myself for a little while longer. It wasn't that I thought Sadie would try to steal him from me—she certainly wasn't like that—or that I thought Maddox would choose her over me. It came from a place of, for once in my life, wanting something that was just for me. I felt like I had a whole separate life—no, world—with Maddox and I'd grown to love it. I wasn't ready to share yet, but if things got more serious I would introduce her to him. But for right now, I liked things the way they were.

The waitress set our drinks on the table and Sadie began to peel the paper away from the straw. "I'm starting to think he isn't even real."

"He's real," I assured her. Being honest, I added, "I just don't know where this is going between us, and I'd like to keep things low-key for now."

"So, basically you're saying that you won't introduce him to your best friend?" She raised an elegant brow.

"Basically," I confirmed.

"This hardly seems fair," she pouted. "As your best friend I should know all the details of your life. Keeping secrets is wrong, Emma." She smiled so I'd know she was only joking. "It's okay, though. I won't bring him up anymore. I'm just glad you've finally gotten yourself a boy. But," she leaned towards me, "if you turn in your V-card to him, I better be the first one to know."

"Sadie," I groaned, rolling my eyes.

She laughed, sitting back in the booth, and turned the conversation away from Maddox.

I was glad I'd gotten to spend the day with her, and yesterday evening too. I hadn't realized how much I was missing girl time.

Despite that, by the time she dropped me off at home I was ready for bed. I was completely exhausted and my feet hurt from so much walking. Clearly, I was out of shape.

I tossed my purse on the couch, placed my bag on the floor, and was kicking off my shoes when the doorbell rang. I sighed. Had I left something in Sadie's car?

I opened the door and took a prompt step back. "Maddox," I gasped, "what are you doing here?"

"Surprise," he grinned, holding out a bouquet of pale pink tulips. "For you," he handed them to me.

"I-I thought you weren't getting in until tomorrow." I stepped back, waving him inside.

"I told you I might get back early," he shrugged, smiling down at me, "so I wanted to stop by and see you."

"You're incredible," I whispered.

His lips pulled into a grin. "I try."

"Let me put these in a vase." I nodded my head towards the kitchen and he followed. I grabbed a clear vase and filled it with water. "I'm just going to tell my mom you stopped by." I pointed to the door that led to the garage that served as her workshop.

He nodded, preoccupied by looking at the framed family photos on the wall beside the kitchen table.

I stepped into her studio and she looked up from the pot she was painting. "Did you have fun with Sadie?"

"Mhmm," I nodded, "it was nice to hang out with her."

"Good." She stared intensely at the pot, working on some sort of intricate circular design.

"I just wanted to tell you Maddox stopped by." I tossed a thumb over my shoulder. Normally, I wouldn't bother my mom while she was working, but I didn't want her to think I was hiding things by not telling her Maddox was here.

"Oh, okay," she smiled. "Don't do anything stupid." She gave me a stern look.

I laughed. "You have nothing to worry about mom."

"He's a teenage boy, therefore he's the one I'm worried about. I might like him, but I know what he's thinking about right now and it's not seeing your seashell collection. Don't show him your clam, Emma."

I stood there open mouthed.

"Oh, God. Ew. Mom!" I slapped a hand over my eyes, like my hand alone could block the visual in my head. "I cannot believe you said that!" I gagged. Like, seriously?! Who said that?!

She chuckled. "Okay, let me rephrase then...don't show him your vagina."

I'm pretty sure my mom just wanted to see me turn ten shades of red and stand there sputtering like an idiot.

"Please, mom! Stop!" Now I covered my ears. "Where's the bleach?" I asked. "I need to remove this nastiness from my mind."

She just kept laughing at me.

I finally walked out, leaving her to her hysterics.

Maddox tilted his head when I stepped inside the kitchen. "Interesting conversation?"

Oh, dear God! Please let him not have heard that exchange!

"No," my voice went high.

He raised a single brow, clearly not believing me.

I grabbed the vase of tulips and carried them back to my room, setting them on the dresser. They brightened up the space, and I found myself smiling at them. They were such a sweet gesture.

Maddox flopped on my bed and wiggled around. "Comfy," he grinned, crossing his hands behind his head.

I blushed. Even though Maddox had already seen my room I still felt uncomfortable having him in it. It suddenly felt so...girly.

The walls were painted yellow—not mustard yellow, but a light buttercup shade. I'd strung twinkling Christmas lights on the wall where my bed was, and they cast a golden glow on the room. A blue and teal quilt covered my bed and all the furniture was mismatched. I loved it, but I wondered what Maddox thought when he looked at it.

"Come lay down." He patted the empty space beside him.

I started forward, but then stopped.

"Hang on," I held up a finger, "I got you something."

Leaving Maddox lying on my bed I scurried to the living room and grabbed the bag from the flea market.

I sat down on the bed, pulling out the bubble wrapped metal drummer.

"Here," I handed it to him, "I hope you like it."

I suddenly felt very unsure if I should have gotten it or not.

He smiled at me, peeling away the tape and bubble wrap. He held the drummer and drums up, twisting it around. A slow, crooked smile lifted his lips. Turning to me, he said, "Em, this is the greatest gift anyone has ever given me. Seriously, this is amazing. I love it. Wow," he murmured, examining it from every angle.

"Really?" I asked, "you're not just saying that?"

"I love it," he repeated. "It's such a thoughtful gift." He continued to stare at it with a smile. "You didn't need to get me anything, you know?"

"I know," I replied, "but I wanted to."

He stared at me for a moment. His eyes were such an intense silvery gray color that I found myself squirming from his gaze.

"I-it reminded me of you and I had to get it," I stammered, needing to fill the silence.

His look never wavered and butterflies took up residence in my stomach.

He set the object aside and before I could blink he had me pinned to the bed. His muscular arms formed a barricade around me.

My breath rushed out of my lungs as he stared down at me. My heart thumped so loudly that I knew he had to hear it.

"Thank you."

"Thank you?" I repeated his words.

He nodded, a strand of brown hair falling over his forehead. "Yes, thank you for the extremely thoughtful gift."

"Oh, right," I stammered, "you're welcome."

His eyes darkened to the color of storm clouds. "I'm thinking I should kiss you. You know, as a proper thank you."

"You think so?" I gasped breathlessly.

He lowered, so his body was pressed against mine and his lips were only a breath away. "I know so."

He closed that last miniscule of distance, kissing me like a man that had been deprived of oxygen and I was his air—the only thing keeping him alive. His fingers tangled in my hair, pulling me impossibly closer and guiding me against him.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and moaned into his mouth.

It didn't seem possible that one person could create a hurricane of emotions inside you, but Maddox did that to me. He'd stirred up the calm waters my life had been and now everything was a chaotic storm. And I loved every minute of it.

He kissed me until my lips were red and chapped—branding me for the world to see that I was his.

He rolled over and curled my body against his chest.

"Goodnight, Emma." He whispered, kissing the skin where my neck met my shoulder.

I thought it would be impossible for me to gosleep after that kind of kiss, but I was exhausted. With Maddox's body heatwrapped around me like the coziest blanket in the world, I drifted off tosleep, having the sweetest dreams I'd ever had.    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

488K 24.3K 46
Lockwood Creek Book One Cardiologist, Adam Matthews heart stop beating the day he lost his wife...his Emma. Withdrawing from every day living, he t...
20.8K 1.1K 58
(Book One) Jake Holmes hadn't put much thought into what home meant until Connor Morgan asked him to. He had settled with an idealistic fantasy. A li...
128K 6.1K 36
Summers in Arizona can be brutal. So can finding love in a small town when you aren't straight. At twenty-years-old, Steven has just about given up o...
527K 13.4K 54
Lacey Wright finally moves back home after traveling around Europe with her parents for over two years. Everything she left behind is the same, inclu...