Finding Humanity

By NinaMarks

After escaping a stalled elevator into a zombie apocalypse, Emily must learn how to trust people again or ris... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Epilogue

Chapter 5

89.1K 4.4K 1.1K
By NinaMarks

Two Years Earlier: October...

I could feel the eyes on the back of my neck. At this point, I wasn't sure if people were actually looking at me or if my paranoia was in overdrive. Either way, it made it impossible for me to focus.

Closing my laptop, I willed myself to not look up at the crowded library as I began stuffing my books and papers into my backpack. Midterms were coming up and my safe space was busier than usual. Putting my laptop in last, I zipped up my backpack and slung it over my shoulder.

Yep, not paranoid.

A girl at the desk behind mine was completely ignoring her studies to glare at me. I sighed and brushed the hair out of my face. I didn't even know her.

Just ignore it.

I hurried my way through the library, doing my best not to make eye contact with anyone. I had almost made it when I heard whispers from the front desk.

"That's her," a pretty girl working behind the desk whispered. It was done intentionally loud enough for me to hear.

With my hand still poised to push the door open, I turned to face the whisperers. The girl at the desk and her friend were both openly staring at me. When they saw I'd stopped to look at them, they didn't shy away. Instead, they smirked, seemingly enjoying my discomfort.

"Liar," the girl behind the desk mouthed to me, making her friend chuckle.

I stiffened my shoulders and left straight out the door. I had no intention of defending myself to them. Taking a deep breath, I adjusted my heavy backpack on my shoulders and began my trek back to my dorm.

The October breeze nipped at my cheeks, making me shiver and zip up my jacket. I reached into my pocket to pull out my headphones but came up with nothing. I stopped my walk to pat myself down, only to remember that I'd shoved them and my phone into my backpack with my books.

Annoyed at myself, I kept trudging on, sticking my hands in my pockets and quickening my pace. As I approached my dorm, I saw a group of people loitering outside the door. I sped up my pace again, hoping to pass through quickly.

"Excuse me," I mumbled to a tall, skinny guy who was blocking my path.

"Lying slut," was all that came out of his mouth.

I didn't even bother looking up to see who he was and shoved my way past him into my building. I could feel my face burning with humiliation, but I did my best to swallow it down.

By the time I finally got to my room, I felt like I'd run a mile. I plopped down on my bed and pulled my laptop out of my backpack and opened it up. Logging onto Facebook to message my sister, I noticed I had an invitation to a group called "Support Emily." I clicked the link.

We as a community should all reach out to support Emily. Lying sluts need friends too! Help support her trip to rehab.

Post: Way to go Emily. Hope you don't drink yourself to death.

Post: She doesn't need help. She's an attention-seeking whore.

Post: You deserve what you get.

Post: Slut! Go to AA.

Post: Ur ruining ppls lives.

Post: Do us all a favor and hang yourself.

I slammed my computer shut. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't seem to get enough air. My heart pounded as my chest constricted. With shaking hands, I dug through my backpack for my phone. Finding it at the bottom, I grasped it like a lifeline and hit my speed dial.

"Hello?"

"Mom," I said, my voice thick with unshed tears. "I think I need to come home."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 73.3K 53
A decade ago, Ellie was heartbroken when the love of her life chose his Hollywood party lifestyle over her. Can she forgive him and give love a secon...
130 14 20
(CHAPTER ONE) Hoping to get away from their livelihood troubles, a young teenage couple travel to the big city of Melbourne, Australia. Staying in a...
5.2K 368 35
it's simple. Survive, and this is the story of how I learnt to survive in the cruel world of flesh eating zombies. No time for playing nice or sympat...
123K 9K 65
Trapped in the last pocket of society that hasn't fallen to the apocalypse, Kate will have to choose how much she is willing to sacrifice to not only...