Turn Away (A Hollstein Fic)

By AddlctWlthAPen

{AU INSPIRED BY TWENTY ONE PILOTS' "CANCER" (MCR) COVER} Laura: *I didn't plan this. I wasn't supposed to me... More

Authors Note
Isolation
The Hopeless Poet
Existence
Serendipity.
'It's a Date'
Excuses.
Maybe.
Two Words We All Hate.
'You've Made Your Bed,
Now lay in it.'
Making Plans.
Just Give Me A Reason.
'Say It If It's Worth Savin' Me.'
I Don't Care.
Spend A Little Time
Breathe Deep
Breathe Clear..
The Silence Is Deafening.
Christmas 'Coming Out' Party
"Star Gazing" (I Want To Know You)
It's A Bit Cliché.
"Turn Away, Cause I'm Aweful Just To See.."
"Know That I Will Never Marry."
Home Is Where You Are.
"Baby I'm Just Soggy From The Chemo.."
"Cause The Hardest Part Of This.."
-Home.-
"is leaving you.."
Darling, You'll Be Okay..
Epilogue.

A Shot In The Dark

2.3K 93 39
By AddlctWlthAPen

Thank you all for all the views, votes and comments! I love reading your comments! Here's a long chapter for you! Things are escalating.

- - - - - -

Laura's POV:
Carmilla and I had been spending a little more time together than we had planned. On Saturday we got our project sorted out then ended up watching movies at my place afterwards. After our english class Monday we had coffee at my favorite bench before I had to go to my usual session. She seems a little off everytime I tell her I have to see my dad in the hospital , I couldn't really blame her. I was lying after all. She never questioned it though, just offered to walk me to the hospital afterwards. Since she had work on Tuesday we didn't see each other till late that night. We had coffee again and spoke about her day. Wednesday she insisted I visit her during her lunch break at work. Due to my usual Wednesday session I had to decline which only made her a little more off about the 'visiting dad' excuse. She called me a 'daddy's girl' which only made me promise to nudge her next time I see her. Thursday through Saturday I had spent with myself kind of avoiding Carmilla because of my lack of control over my chemo side effects this week. I also felt like I needed a little space from Carmilla. We had been spending enough time together, or more than I had wanted to before I got to know her a little better. It's not that I didn't want to see her, wait. I mean, I didn't mind her company, I was just losing track of my rules on friendships. Basically I shouldn't have them.. My side effects were getting a little more rough but it wasn't happening often.

I was hardly getting sleep and the migraines and inner pain was really hard to handle some days. I was able to hold my food a little better thanks to Laf's pills finally doing their job, but I had the occasional nose bleed from time to time.

It was Sunday night and the Halloween party was tomorrow. Carmilla decided to call me before bed to ensure that I wouldn't get cold feet. It would have been rude of me to ignore her call when we had plans to go to this party since last weekend.

"You've kind of disappeared on me, cupcake. Was starting to think you've been avoiding me." She says through the phone line.

"I'm sorry. I just hadn't been feeling well and the whole hospital thing-"

"Sick again? You've seriously got one of the worst immune systems I've ever heard of." she laughs. I frown and whisper under my breath, you have no idea..
"What was that, cupcake?"

Crap she heard.

"I said, tell me about it" I laugh nervously causing her to chuckle.

Nice save.

"Well that's a shame. How are you feeling now?"

"A little better I suppose" I say getting up from my couch and turning off my TV. Walking to my room I grab a glass of water and set it by my bed before laying down.

"Still feeling up for the party?" She asks. I could hear the hopeful tone in her voice causing me to smile.

"Well-"

"We don't have to go if you're not feeling up for it. We could stay at your place and hand out candy or something?" She interrupts me.

"I wouldn't want to keep you from the party-"

"Trust me, the Zeta's don't throw That good of a party. Besides, you're a bit more amusing then those popped collar puppy dogs."

"Just a bit, huh?" I laugh rolling onto my side so the phone is squashed between my pillow and my ear.

"You know what I mean" she says, her breath hinting that she smiled.

"Right." I start playing with the tag on my pillow as we fall into a comfortable silence. I really didn't want her to miss the party because of me. Why was she even basing her attendance at the party off of my own?

"You there Laur?" She finally says with a gentle and quiet tone. The nickname made me smile.

"Yeah. Sorry just a little tired." I yawn and wipe my eyes.

"Well that didn't sound rehearsed at all" the sarcasm in her tone causing me to laugh.

"I'm serious you broody person." I tease.

"Ouch, that hurt creampuff" again she says with sarcasm and a small laugh.

"Good!"

"Daddy's girl"

"Grumpy gills"

"Lauronica Mars"

"Narcissist"

"Hey! Take that back!" She says sounding offended but laughing under her breath.

"Never!" We both burst into a fit of laughs.

"You're gonna pay for that one Hollis" a hint of playfulness hidden in her tone.

"We'll see about that" I tease before yawning.

"Get some sleep Laur" My eyes begin closing without me controlling it. Before I start falling asleep a thought pops in my head.

"Carm?" I hear the tiny breath she gives indicating a smile.

"Yeah cupcake?"

"I'll go to the party with you tomorrow."

"You sure?"

I don't really have the energy to speak again. My eyes were fully shut and my mind was fixed on sleep. Before I completely black out I hear Carmilla on the line.

"Goodnight Laura."

Without any effort, I fall asleep.

- - - - - -

It was almost time to leave for the party and I had just finished putting on my costume. I was really curious to see what Carmilla was planning on wearing since she had kept it a secret. Probably some sort of vampire costume or something, she seemed like the type to like that kind of stuff.

I look at the clock and then at my phone. She insisted I allow her to pick me up and since I wasn't sure where the party was I didn't decline the offer. I hear the buzz from my apartment speaker meaning she was here.

Well. Here goes nothing.

I look at my satchel which held my medications and necessities I used to clean up after throwing up or nose bleeds. I felt okay today so I decided to leave it behind. When I reach the apartment building door I try to catch my breath. Taking the stairs was starting to become a hassle but our elevator was broken this week so I didn't have the choice.

When I open the building door I see Carmilla leaning against her black car.

Wow.

She was dressed in all black with her usual messy curls falling gently down her shoulders. I couldn't help the gap my lips were creating.

"Like what you see?" She sends me a flirtatious confident smirk.

Was I staring?

I laugh nervously playing with the mask in my hands.

"Y-you look great." I say shyly, cursing my stutter in my mind. "Black Widow from the avengers I'm assuming?"

"Correct spider-girl, and you don't look so bad yourself." She winks and goes to my door opening it for me.

"Thanks." She smiles at me and nods as I get in closing the door behind me. Once she's in we drive off to the Zeta sorority house. It wasn't far from the park/coffee shop which made me think how odd it was that I had never noticed it before.

When we arrive there's a massive amount of toilet paper hanging from the trees and people gathered here and there outside of the house. All of them holding red solo cups and wearing revealing or really well put together costumes. My face begins to heat up with a bit of social anxiety starting to stir inside of me. Carmilla must have sensed the tension in my shoulders because I feel her place a reassuring hand over mine causing me to tense up even more.

"You sure you want to go in? We can leave if you'd like, we really don't have to be here." She says with a cautious and caring look on her face. Her eyes were so revealing to what she was really feeling inside. They were like windows when her facial expressions weren't easy to decipher. It was one of the things I had learned about her these past few days.

"No no, I'm okay," I smile and look at our hands. She removes it and nods, getting out of the car and opening the door for me. We walk in to a complete disaster area. Carmilla had a smile on her face because of the amount of drunk Zeta boys in togas was actually amusing.

I placed my mask on over my face. It gave me a sense of calmness knowing that no one knew who I was, not because I didn't want them to, but because it made me feel more invisible than I usually make myself.

"Hey dudes, glad you could come!" The boy from my English class stopped me and Carmilla in our tracks. The same boy who was mad because I turned down his offer to be partners. He was obviously drunk and his toga was barley holding up.

"Yeah well, we're here for the free beer." Carmilla shrugs giving him an unimpressed look.

"Ouch Carm-sexy not cool dude. Who's your hottie friend in the spiderman outfit?" He asks pointing at me.

"The same hottie that turned you down not too long ago popped collar." She smiles at me then gives him a stern hard look.

"Oh Laura right? Look, no hard feelings dude, I ended up with a pretty cute partner." I laugh at his slurred words.

"I'm happy for you.. um?"

"Oh, where are my manners" he laughs putting his drink on the ground to offer me a hand. "The names Kirsch, leader of the brave and manly Zeta society." Carmilla tries to hold in a laugh but she can't. He looks like he's ready to say something to her but I grab and shake his hand pulling him from the thought.

"Nice to officially meet you Kirsch." I say letting his sweaty hand go.

"You too little hottie. Well the beers are around back and the snacks are.." He looks to the floor, "Apparently all over the ground.." He laughs at himself, "so go ahead and help yourself!" Picking up his drink he sends us a huge grin and walks away yelling "TOGA! TOGA!"

I look at Carm and she immediately looks back at me as we burst into a fit of laughs.

"Still think I'm more amusing then that?" I say nudging her shoulder.

"Most definitely." She responds with a small genuine smile. It confused the heck out of me how she could do that. Go from being broody to others, to laughing at others, to being so gentle around me. She really did have a hint of vulnerability hiding behind her smile, though I'd never bring it up to her because all she'd do is deny it.

As the party went on, me and Carm danced as often as we could. I don't know where the confidence came from, probably the mask, but I enjoyed the night very much. I wasn't really expecting it to be that fun due to my social anxiety and the possibility of my session side effects showing, but my side effects remained hidden and my confidence shined through.

When it was almost 12 I could feel myself getting tired. Carmilla and I didn't touch a drink that night. I didn't because of my medications didn't mix well with it and she didn't trust the Zeta's beer.

"Ready to go, cupcake?" She asks beside me. We had been sitting down for a bit talking about the costumes the people around the room were wearing.

"Ahuh," I say tugging at my mask to pull it fully over my face. She stands and puts her hand out for me to take. I do and she helps me up. Before we reach the door Kirsch comes up to us with a Polaroid camera.

"Hey you two! How 'bout a picture? You get to keep it!" He says smiling drunkly.

We look at each other and shrug thinking 'why not'. We pose beside each other but Kirsch doesn't take the picture.

"Carm-sexy, get Laura to take her mask off!" He complains.

I shake my head laughing.

"Come on cupcake, show the camera your beautiful face" she says putting her hand on the back of my mask.

"Nooo, I'll break it" My joke causes her to laugh.

"Then I guess I gotta take it off for you."

"Don't you dare" I say laughing. She places a hand on my shoulder and the other firmly behind my mask slowly pulling it up.
"Carm!" We both start laughing. I place my hand on her wrist trying to pull it away and use my other to try and pull the mask back down.

"Come on cupcake, this is payback for calling me a narcissist!" She says smiling at me. I keep trying to pull my mask down while laughing when I hear the camera click and see it flash twice.

"Got it!" He hands both pictures to Carmilla and walks away taking pictures of everything around the room.

"Let me see!" I say trying to grab the picture from her hand. She holds it above my head away from my reach.

"Nope," she smiles deviously. "You've gotta catch me first!" My lips form an amused smile as she runs out the door.

This girl.

I run after her. She's actually really fast and doesn't seem to be trying her hardest. I, on the other hand, was sprinting towards her down the sidewalk. We reach the park and she stops by the tree beside my bench. I hadn't realized she had stopped so I stumble into her arms trying to stop myself too suddenly. I had almost tripped over myself and the slippery sidewalk but she caught me before I fell. My breath was uneasy.

I feel her arms tightly wrapped around me keeping me from slipping on the sidewalks ice. My head was against her chest due to the sudden stop and I couldn't hear her heart. My thoughts were moving too fast for me to process how close we were right now. I hadn't met her eyes yet but I could feel her chest moving as she laughed.

- - - - - -

Carmilla's POV:
Laura had stumbled into my arms causing me to wrap them around her to keep her from falling. I laughed at her almost accident for a bit until she looks up at me from the position we're in. My laugh turns into a chuckle and then a smile. She stands up straighter now but my arms never leave her waist. Her facial expression was blank and her doe eyes were staring straight into mine.

What was she thinking..

I could feel myself getting nervous, which never happens. Her breath was visible through the smoke coming out of her mouth due to the cold air. It was uneasy.

Probably because of the running.

We stayed in this moment for a few minutes. Frozen in time it almost seemed. I didn't really plan what happened next. My muscles acted before my mind as I started leaning in.

"Carm.." She says softly. I ignore her warning and take the opportunity to crash my lips gently against hers. At first she froze up. Her lips were frozen and her shoulders were tense. I started to feel anxious with my lips moving alone against hers until she placed her hands in my hair and started moving her lips in sync with mine. The tension in her shoulders was gone and a new type of tension was formed. A 'wanting' type of tension. I pulled her close to me, as if I was the only thing keeping her warm in this moment. It felt good. It felt real. I couldn't even compare it to those nights I spent hopping beds with people I didn't care about. My feelings were still confusing me. I didn't understand what I was feeling but I knew at this second that I didn't want this moment to end.

She pulls back from the kiss so I do as well. When I open my eyes I couldn't decipher the look on her face. Her lips left no smile. Her eyes left no light. Her breathing was still uneasy but gave off no sense of happiness.

What have I done..

"Laur-"

"I've got to go." She says pulling herself out of my embrace and walking the sidewalk that leads to her apartment.

"Laura wait!" I yell walking after her.

She turns causing me to stop.

"Carmilla please don't follow me okay." her face still giving no hint to what she's thinking.

"But-"

"Please." She turns around and continues walking. I stay put, looking down at the Polaroid in my hand.

"What did I do wrong.."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

187K 3.3K 34
Steps on how to b a bad girl cx Cover by @callipygian-
186K 4.9K 59
Regina is the popular girl, Emma is an ordinary girl. Emma came out as a lesbian a year ago and Regina's friends bullied her for ages about it. Littl...
14.8K 541 21
Abigail and Hannah are sent back to Ancient Egypt to stop yet another woman from trying to start a war that could re write the future. Little does Ab...
7.5K 240 13
Chloe and Beca attend Grammy Beale's birthday for the sake of her special request. The catch? They have been strangers for the past three years since...